Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,842 members, 7,820,933 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:49 AM

#Debate: Money Sustains Romantic Love# ~ENDED~ - Romance (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / #Debate: Money Sustains Romantic Love# ~ENDED~ (16462 Views)

Debate: Money Can Buy "True Love" In Nigeria. I Dare Anyone To Challenge Me / 120 Romantic Love Messages And Poem to send to your Loved one on valentines day / Romantic Love Text Message And Advice For Distance Relationships (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: #Debate: Money Sustains Romantic Love# ~ENDED~ by Nobody: 2:40pm On Oct 08, 2012
Mrs..Chima:
I guess I missed another one huh? SMH.

Can I still state my opposing view? I challenge MBJ. grin grin grin grin
Late ma'am. ..
Re: #Debate: Money Sustains Romantic Love# ~ENDED~ by Nobody: 2:41pm On Oct 08, 2012
Shollypopz: Am I too late??
Yes. We made do with the other judges verdict. . .
Re: #Debate: Money Sustains Romantic Love# ~ENDED~ by MrsChima1(f): 2:42pm On Oct 08, 2012
Rocktation:

I'm not sure that you can Mrs. Chima. You don't even have an Opening speech, neither have you been paired with a contender, to which your rebuttal should be directed.

With the time differences and Chima slobbering on me....I couldn't make the debate during the live format. I suggested that we should post our comments even if it wasn't live but I was told otherwise.

I tried.
Re: #Debate: Money Sustains Romantic Love# ~ENDED~ by MrsChima1(f): 2:43pm On Oct 08, 2012
sexkillz: Late ma'am. ..

Sighs. Mschewwwww!
Re: #Debate: Money Sustains Romantic Love# ~ENDED~ by Nobody: 2:47pm On Oct 08, 2012
sexkillz: Yes. We made do with the other judges verdict. . .
So unfair, it was midnight here. angry I promise not to sleep again cry
Re: #Debate: Money Sustains Romantic Love# ~ENDED~ by Rocktation(f): 2:51pm On Oct 08, 2012
It's no problem, Mrs Chima. I'm sure you'll be here for others. smiley

Ambeautiful and other debaters that haven't presented their arguements on this round, should keep them coming please...
Re: #Debate: Money Sustains Romantic Love# ~ENDED~ by Nobody: 2:51pm On Oct 08, 2012
Shollypopz:
So unfair, it was midnight here. angry I promise not to sleep again cry
smiley
Re: #Debate: Money Sustains Romantic Love# ~ENDED~ by DExplorer1: 2:56pm On Oct 08, 2012
SK, i'm suggesting that Shollypopz should commence duty with this very round. Knowing fully well that time difference could be challenging. What do you think?
Re: #Debate: Money Sustains Romantic Love# ~ENDED~ by Nobody: 3:12pm On Oct 08, 2012
D-Explorer:
SK, i'm suggesting that Shollypopz should commence duty with this very round. Knowing fully well that time difference could be challenging. What do you think?
ok

1 Like

Re: #Debate: Money Sustains Romantic Love# ~ENDED~ by Riskyman(m): 3:27pm On Oct 08, 2012
Adaeze.. We are waiting, please keep it coming.
Re: #Debate: Money Sustains Romantic Love# ~ENDED~ by Adaeze003(f): 3:29pm On Oct 08, 2012
Just got back... Will be posting soon. @sexkills can we quote opening statements?
Ambeautiful, I'm ready when you are! cool
Re: #Debate: Money Sustains Romantic Love# ~ENDED~ by pearlhapi(f): 3:30pm On Oct 08, 2012
skydeep:
its obvious that all these shows that this co-debater's priority in a relationship is money.
Good day once again judges and viewers. I still oppose the motion "money sustains romantic love". The above quoted statements shows that our youths now believe money makes the world goes round forgetting that "Love" should be the right word.

Permit me to use my experience as an example. When I met my husband in a supermarket, I never liked him despite his flashy car he drove that day not because I have mine but because I am not moved by a man's wealth. To cut the story short, he took on a date and said he will foot the bill but I insisted that I should do it. Now we were not in love at that time but if My opponent(pearls) were in my shoes(based on her statements) she will fall in love immediately because of the car and taste of this guy. Now tell me if this is TRUE LOVE? Viewers, isnt it obvious that my opponent's priority in a relationship is MONEY?. I rest my case till next round. I belive the judges are convinced by my points. Thanks
my opponent obviously has little or no knowledge of the topic“money is required to sustain love”no one is arguing love shouldn't be utmost in a relationship but that money isn't a factor is a no no,you just mentioned your husband took you out on a date,could you please tell us and state firmly that he did so with paper or sand or he merely said I love you and you both found yourself in an outing centre.permit me also to say that you knowing him\having an affair with him started with the date.imagine you guys saw at the supermart and he took your number,called you and kept saying I love you I am sure that's your own defintion of love but then he went an extra mile to take you out on a date which he did with money and if actually you ended up footing the bills you also used money/quote me wrong.

1 Like

Re: #Debate: Money Sustains Romantic Love# ~ENDED~ by Nobody: 3:38pm On Oct 08, 2012
[b][quote author=Adaeze003]All protocols observed.
I am Adaeze003 here to oppose the motion 'money is required to sustain romantic love'
First, I'll give an authentic definition of love from the oxford advanced learners dictionary. Love: a strong feeling of affection for somebody that you are sexually attracted to. Now I don't know if its my glasses but I can't find money there so how can one say that money is required to sustain love?
Some frequently asked questions are as follows:
1. Is one surpposed to eat love?
2. Why should one approach a girl if he has nothing to offer her?
As a proud Nigerian I'll answer these questions with questions
1.Were you about to die of hunger before your boyfriend asked you out?
2.Must it be only money that should be offered? And also What do you have to offer? Your body? Can we all see where this is going? If no then I'll tell you. Its Sex for money!
Is this truely what my opponents think love iS about?
I'm happy that this debate is not just about Nigerians so let us move outside our box a little. We are well aware that in the western world two people can hook up without any knowledge of how much money one is willing to spend. Is this because they do not want to 'sustain' the love? Or because the women and men there are willing to work hard to meet their own needs? I can assure you that it is non of these because we all know that love is a feeling of affection or even attraction and cannot be affected by money.[/b]
Re: #Debate: Money Sustains Romantic Love# ~ENDED~ by Nobody: 3:41pm On Oct 08, 2012
please my typings are bolded in between, i cant seem to separate them while quoting, because right now am under pressure.
i will modify it, without changing nothing in a couple of minutes.
Re: #Debate: Money Sustains Romantic Love# ~ENDED~ by skydeep(f): 3:52pm On Oct 08, 2012
pearl~hapi:
my opponent obviously has little or no knowledge of the topic“money is required to sustain love”no one is arguing love shouldn't be utmost in a relationship but that money isn't a factor is a no no,you just mentioned your husband took you out on a date,could you please tell us and state firmly that he did so with paper or sand or he merely said I love you and you both found yourself in an outing centre.permit me also to say that you knowing him\having an affair with him started with the date.imagine you guys saw at the supermart and he took your number,called you and kept saying I love you I am sure that's your own defintion of love but then he went an extra mile to take you out on a date which he did with money and if actually you ended up footing the bills you also used money/quote me wrong.
my footing the bill was not to spice-up the relationship but to prove to him that his money will not buy my love.
Now if you say he spent money to take me on a date, then I guess I paid him back his money by footing the bill. Therefore, it is right to say he spent nothing on me that day.

Hit me harder baby cheesy
Re: #Debate: Money Sustains Romantic Love# ~ENDED~ by Nobody: 3:53pm On Oct 08, 2012
Adaeze003: All protocols observed.
I am Adaeze003 here to oppose the motion 'money is required to sustain romantic love'
First, I'll give an authentic definition of love from the oxford advanced learners dictionary. Love: a strong feeling of affection for somebody that you are sexually attracted to. Now I don't know if its my glasses but I can't find money there so how can one say that money is required to sustain love?

Some frequently asked questions are as follows:
1. Is one surpposed to eat love?
2. Why should one approach a girl if he has nothing to offer her?
As a proud Nigerian I'll answer these questions with questions
1.Were you about to die of hunger before your boyfriend asked you out?
2.Must it be only money that should be offered? And also What do you have to offer? Your body? Can we all see where this is going? If no then I'll tell you. Its Sex for money!
Is this truely what my opponents think love iS about?

I'm happy that this debate is not just about Nigerians so let us move outside our box a little. We are well aware that in the western world two people can hook up without any knowledge of how much money one is willing to spend. Is this because they do not want to 'sustain' the love? Or because the women and men there are willing to work hard to meet their own needs? I can assure you that it is non of these because we all know that love is a feeling of affection or even attraction and cannot be affected by money.
This is my opening argument and I also hope to convince you (the audience and judges) further in the next round.

Still supporting the topic 'Money is required to sustain love'. Good afternoon.....
My rebuttals.

Point of correction, the word here is ‘Romantic love’ not ‘love’ (which for the purpose of this debate I would term true love), if am not mistaken, this two terms are entirely different and this you have failed to understand. To refresh your memory let me clarify the difference between both terms “Romantic love is often fleeting. The passion and lust that two partners with a strictly romantic love feel, typically does not last for long, unless the relationship expands to include more intimate personal feelings. True love, on the other hand, lasts for many years and often lasts for an entire lifetime.
Intimacy looks and feels very different in a relationship based on true love than it does in a relationship based on romantic love. Physical intimacy is apparent in both types of love; however, with romantic love, intimacy ends at a physical level. True love, however, defines intimacy as an understanding and a personal bond with another person that goes much deeper than physical attraction.
Romantic love and true love usually have very different causes. Romantic love is often strictly based on physical chemistry and attraction. People may also choose a romantic love partner based on how much fun they are, how often they are available and what they want from a relationship. True love is often caused by two people realizing that they have a lot in common, have similar morals and values and want the same things out of life.

Next an answer to these questions asked above:

1. The debate topic is not “Is your boyfriend required to have money to sustain his romantic love for you”, it simply states “Money is required to sustain love”. The topic did not categorically state which of the sexes should possess the money required to sustain this romantic love neither did it state which sex should have a higher percentage of the money, required to sustain this romantic love. With the above truth in mind, let’s imagine the topic was the former and I was to answer your question, Logically, I would simply say that yes ,one is not supposed to eat love and I would also add yet again that I must not die of hunger before my partner can buy me a decent meal on an outing. Someone asking if one is supposed to eat love is only trying to merely explain the fact that after love the reality of responsibilities sets in and then what next?
Next Romantic love entails a lot of activities to keep it going, gifts have to be bought (even cheap gifts may cost money),partners and couples need to go for outings, partners and couples need to keep on looking beautiful, handsome, smart and neat for their partners to keep on finding them attractive. Excuse me please is it love that will pay for all this. Nothing is free in Freetown. Can you go to the market and buy even a used shirt from the market with love, I don’t think so, if anybody has done it, please tell us the story.

2. No, it is not only money that should be offered, here again you are missing the point. What is money? For the purpose of this debate :

Money (Encarta definition) is:

a. medium of exchange: a medium of exchange issued by a government or other public authority in the form of coins of gold, silver, or other metal, or paper bills, used as the measure of the value of goods and services
b. denomination: a form or denomination of coin or paper money
c. convertible assets: assets or property that can be converted into cash
d. national currency: the official currency of a country

From the above definition, money is also a medium of exchange and this is the point. So you can see that money is not the only thing that can be offered. A lot of things can be exchanged for money, for example, money can be used as a medium of exchange to give your partner a treat in a resort center as a surprise gift. Also money can be used as a medium of exchange for a scarf as a surprise gift. Yet again, money can be used as a medium of exchange for a sachet of soap to wash your partner’s clothes. So you can see that money is not the only thing that can be offered.

Next, where do people get the idea that its only sex that one has to offer. There are a lot of things to offer and bring to the table, if you are smart, intelligent and talented. They are so many things to offer to your partner except from your body,if you actually know what you are doing and if there is of course a brain in your head. Have you not heard of people in relationships, who contributed positively to their partner’s life apart from their body and sex? Please I have a lot to offer to anybody I meet whether romantic love or true love, if you have only your body and sex to offer, then good for you.
Seriously sex is not for money. Money is needed to balance our relationship and provide those basic things needed for love to be nourished.

Please help us with details of these so- called “western world of two people who can hook up, without any knowledge of how much one is willing to spend” that you know personally. Next please can you help me explain what “hook-up” means and how it relates to this debate? Please money is money anywhere, everywhere and money is needed to maintain a balance anywhere in this world. If you think am lying, try to remain poor all your life, please try this for once, then come tell us Nairalanders what is happening in your relationships, what you saw and experienced.

On a serious note people, wake up from your slumber please. Romantic love may keep the whole world turning but money greases the wheels.

Thank you.

*****sources: internet and ambeautiful.

1 Like

Re: #Debate: Money Sustains Romantic Love# ~ENDED~ by Nobody: 3:54pm On Oct 08, 2012
Adaeze003: Just got back... Will be posting soon. @sexkills can we quote opening statements?
Ambeautiful, I'm ready when you are! cool
yes pls.
Re: #Debate: Money Sustains Romantic Love# ~ENDED~ by Nobody: 3:56pm On Oct 08, 2012
^^the above
Re: #Debate: Money Sustains Romantic Love# ~ENDED~ by skydeep(f): 3:58pm On Oct 08, 2012
cheesy
Re: #Debate: Money Sustains Romantic Love# ~ENDED~ by Nobody: 3:59pm On Oct 08, 2012
sorry for double-posting. my main posting,contains both Adaeze's first openings and mine, my quoting ended up wrongly before, so i had to correct it.
Re: #Debate: Money Sustains Romantic Love# ~ENDED~ by pearlhapi(f): 4:27pm On Oct 08, 2012
skydeep:
my footing the bill was not to spice-up the relationship but to prove to him that his money will not buy my love.
Now if you say he spent money to take me on a date, then I guess I paid him back his money by footing the bill. Therefore, it is right to say he spent nothing on me that day.

Hit me harder baby cheesy
romance is between two persons as I am made to understand,the issue is not wether money was spent by you or him but rather that money was spent for the date you were both a part of.MONEY which you stand here to state is not required in a romantic love was one time spent to make an outing for you and your spouse!am also sure that outing brought about you both knowing eachother better to an extent,if you both had no money I bet you wouldn't even go an inch close to any good outing\relaxation centre.why do most ladies and even men spend money on their looks to look good for their spouses?if money isn't required in a romantic love why don't ladies just forget about their general body maintanance and expect their spouses to love them?I haven't said money is a basis to love ones spouse but rather that money is required to sustain love.once again I ask,
How did suger daddies\runs gain so much ground in our society?
Do you think\argue these girls who go into runs do not have boyfriends?bearing in mind that the only reason they go into the act is for the sake of money
Also,do these guys like the fact that the ladies look good for them?obviously yes!
Furthermore,does the fact that they refuse to live up to their responsibilty to their girlfriends promote love?
Would you argue with me that the involvement of these ladies in runs has made them cheats in a love affair that is supposed to be betwee just two individuals?
Would you also argue that if these guys were there to provide help[no matter how small]to their spouses that the rate of such moral decadence[that's if you believe it is]would be low?
Have you ever heard of girls who have boyfriends they love travel far and wide all for the purposes of making money through other men
Would you say that during your courtship with your spouse they weren't care he showed,romance he expressed,and a few of your needs he provided that made you like/love him?or did you just love him because he kept saying I love you
Re: #Debate: Money Sustains Romantic Love# ~ENDED~ by ijebabe: 4:34pm On Oct 08, 2012
Erm, only 2 posts in this round.
Pearl na wetin na undecided
Re: #Debate: Money Sustains Romantic Love# ~ENDED~ by DExplorer1: 4:39pm On Oct 08, 2012
ijebabe: Erm, only 2 posts in this round.
We have 4posts so far.
Re: #Debate: Money Sustains Romantic Love# ~ENDED~ by skydeep(f): 4:42pm On Oct 08, 2012
Dont mind her, she wants to hit me harder as I ordered her grin
Re: #Debate: Money Sustains Romantic Love# ~ENDED~ by pearlhapi(f): 4:44pm On Oct 08, 2012
no vex,I thought we were suposed to reply every post of an opponent!appologies
Re: #Debate: Money Sustains Romantic Love# ~ENDED~ by Nobody: 4:45pm On Oct 08, 2012
Only the first two posts of a participant addressing the issue will be taken into consideration. . . Judges, pls take note.

2 Likes

Re: #Debate: Money Sustains Romantic Love# ~ENDED~ by DExplorer1: 4:50pm On Oct 08, 2012
sexkillz: Only the first two posts of a participant addressing the issue will be taken into consideration. . . Judges, pls take note.
Definitely!
Re: #Debate: Money Sustains Romantic Love# ~ENDED~ by ijebabe: 5:01pm On Oct 08, 2012
sexkillz: Only the first two posts of a participant addressing the issue will be taken into consideration. . . Judges, pls take note.
Noted
Re: #Debate: Money Sustains Romantic Love# ~ENDED~ by Adaeze003(f): 5:15pm On Oct 08, 2012
I'm back once again to further explain my view.
AmBeautiful: Good evening Nairaland, I am Ambeautiful and supporting the topic ‘Money is required to sustain Romantic Love’

Before I proceed I will like to define the following terms ‘Money, Sustain and Romantic Love’

For the purpose of this debate:

money (Encarta definition) is:

1. medium of exchange: a medium of exchange issued by a government or other public authority in the form of coins of gold,silver, or other metal,or paper bills, used as the measure of the value of goods and services
2. denomination: a form or denomination of coin or paper money
3. convertible assets: assets or property that can be converted into cash
4. national currency: the official currency of a country

Sustain(Encarta definition) is:
1. nourish somebody: to provide somebody with nourishment or the necessities of life
2. maintain something: to make something continue to exist
It was not my intention to start this round with a tale but with the bolded I'm forced to.
A man fell in love with a young lady and decided to date her. This young woman had no one to help her further her studies and as a lover the guy decided to help. He paid her fees from 1st yr to final year and after graduating guess what she did? She decided to marry a 'better' man. Now this man tried to use money to sustain/make this love to continue to exist but did it stop her from leaving? I guess not.

Romantic Love is different from mere needs driven by sexual desire or lust. It involves a mix of emotional and sexual desire.
Romantic love involves three A’S---attraction, attachment and attunement

lets start with attraction. Now, seeing someone for the very first you can be attracted to the person sexually(lust) or otherwise. True or false? We all know its true so did you have to see his wallet or ride? So then its safe to say money has nothing to do with attraction.
Onto the next, attention. Back to my dictionary, this means the act of listening to, looking at or thinking about someone carefully. Again, this means that one can show attention without spending. Agreed?
And lastly attunement? Hmm well attuned is what I know and it is to be familiar with someone so that you understand and recognize them and act in an appropriate way. In other words its about familiarity. Again is money used to for this? NO! So whats your point?

With the above definitions in mind, anybody who still says that money is not needed to sustain a romantic relationship is delusional and obviously high on drugs.
now this is uncalled for as we are all adults and entitled to our opinions.

I hear a lot of people say that finances should not be a priority in a relationship, while a majority of women are quick to say, “Love don’t pay no BILL’s”.
However,I believe that financial stability from both partners plays an elite role when it comes to having a successful relationship.

Of course love can't pay the bills but what are your hands for?
Secondly we are still on romantic love and not necessarily marriage right? If yes then you are trying to say that no one shouldn date until there's a steady flow of money. Really? So a guy/girl still trying to find a balance does not deserve love and to be loved? This idea it totally WRONG!
People think that if love exists then money doesn't matter. Practically speaking it matters that you have enough money to spend on your partner and yourself. Your partner will be more attracted towards you if you have smart dressing sense or nice accessories. Money provides basic necessities like food, shelter, clothing, etc. I am not talking about luxuries, but certain basics are required.
When we love someone we need to make them happy and money is an integral part in making the loved one happy.
If you truly love someone the amount of money in the bank will not matter! Imagine a woman getting married because of money as often the case these days. She now finds herself falling in love with another man and cheats on her husband. Now tell me did the millions in his account stop her for cheating? NO!
Now, taking care of yourself has nothing to do with sustaining love. You clean up well for other reasons too. I'm not denying the fact that one can be attracted to looks but you said earlier that other factors contributes to 'romantic love'.
Ever heard of 'money can't buy happiness'?
Whatever happened to the little things like. Holding hands or even the simple thought that you mean something to someone?
If to sustain love, money is really essential then why do rich people get divorced?

@all you can't buy love.... Thanks.
Re: #Debate: Money Sustains Romantic Love# ~ENDED~ by Adaeze003(f): 5:22pm On Oct 08, 2012
Damn.. Can't feel my hand... Will post again after launch/dinner. lol.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

***rate My Virgin Kid Sis***..picture* / Why Some Girls Dont Wear Pant? / guys: Reasons Women Beg Us 4 Money And y U Must Fvck Her very well B4 Givin Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.