Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,835 members, 7,810,213 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:04 AM

Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? - Religion (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? (20621 Views)

TEN QUESTIONS That Christians Can Never Answer / How Many Christians Can Boldly Say This..? / Christians: Can a Non-Christian Go to Heaven? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by plappville(f): 10:09pm On Dec 27, 2012
Zikkyy: I did not read this bit very well.

Hahaha grin you are relying on sister plappville's attestation? Lol! grin now that was funny. You don't know the posters on this thread smiley

Oga Zikkyy, you that know us, why not tell him what you kn about us? The bros responded to ur comment correctly, you are JUST been proud to accept it, instead accussing him of responding in someone else place. Is there restrictions in qouting posts not directed to us?
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Rich4god(m): 10:16pm On Dec 27, 2012
ijawkid:

Smh!!!!!.............I'm not the one terming it wrong....xmas itself is telling you ""I am wrong"".................""Christ wasn't born on xmas day"".............you are the one that should be opening the scriptures to support christmas not me..............
That christ wasnt born on xmas day doesnt mean that it is wrong or it is a pagan practice to celebrate it any date you feel suitable for you. I still want you to show me where it is written in the bible that celebration of xmas is wrong.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Nobody: 10:35pm On Dec 27, 2012
JWs seem to be dodging my questions.I will ask again.why are the JWs still using the 'pagan' roman names for the calendar months? Why haven't they created their own 'christian'calendar
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by ijawkid(m): 12:04am On Dec 28, 2012
chukwudi44: JWs seem to be dodging my questions.I will ask again.why are the JWs still using the 'pagan' roman names for the calendar months? Why haven't they created their own 'christian'calendar

What do we use the pagan names for??.....do we call our kids by those names or what??...............or do we observe festivals that are directed towards Janus for example??.................you forget that even the isrealites at one time or the other when they were taken into captivity by the world powers of there time had to be under the calendar system of those nations while they
Juxtaposed it with the jewish calendar system??.............except you want the JW's to be rebels..........abi??...............you guys (catholics)have specifically snatched a pagan festival and date, submerged Christ in it and have spoon fed many with it................

Your question is so lame my bro..........so damn LAME.........xmas has been debunked I gue§s you and your cÓlleagues have to live with it............it is a big shame to know how much scam xmas is.............smh!!!!...............insteaÐ of yoÙ to address the issue at hand you ran of to talk about the gregorian calendar........smh!!!!.......
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by plappville(f): 12:07am On Dec 28, 2012
Rich4god:
What i mean by not being a religious freak is that i dont make arguement on religious issue and i respect everybody believe no matter your faith. But coming out to condemn one particular issue with a baseless fact is illogical and false. As long as i know, that xmas/birthday is not written in the bible does not make it a pagan worship.

Christmas was not in scripture because the pope that invented it was not yet during the APostles. But of a truth bbirthday was recorded and was tagged with pagan figures!
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by ijawkid(m): 12:10am On Dec 28, 2012
Rich4god:
That christ wasnt born on xmas day doesnt mean that it is wrong or it is a pagan practice to celebrate it any date you feel suitable for you. I still want you to show me where it is written in the bible that celebration of xmas is wrong.

Any date isn't dec 25th....there is a reason why it is dec 25th...and that reason has been exposed.........many are discarding the useless xmas..........its absolutely useless.!!!!!!!!!!!..........if after all the scriptures opened you're still asking me to show you a scripture that says"" thou shall not celebrate xmas"" then you(rich 4 God) needs serious help................

Xmas and its customs is a big time fraud..........

Je§us wasn't bÓrn on christmas day....................discard that filthy celebration and worship God in spirit and in truth..............
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by plappville(f): 12:11am On Dec 28, 2012
honeric01:

Your peeps?

Make una ride on for this una vicious circle.

Do you have to give him your ears? He cares no about the truth, I wonder who are his peeps angry
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by plappville(f): 12:13am On Dec 28, 2012
honeric01:

Your peeps?

Make una ride on for this una vicious circle.

Do you have to give him your ears? He doesn't really seems to care about the truth, I wonder who are his peeps angry
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Rich4god(m): 12:21am On Dec 28, 2012
ijawkid:

What do we use the pagan names for??.....do we call our kids by those names or what??...............or do we observe festivals that are directed towards Janus for example??.................
Good point you raised there. Have you seen any christian worshipping the sun god or xmas day or is any christian directing his activities on xmas day towards the sun god. Keep on contradicting yourself. And mind you, you have not shown me where it is written in the bible that xmas celebration is pagan worship, cos all you have been saying since is that the apostle didnt celebrate it.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Rich4god(m): 12:28am On Dec 28, 2012
ijawkid:

if after all the scriptures opened you're still asking me to show you a scripture that says"" thou shall not celebrate xmas"" then you(rich 4 God) needs serious help................
I think its you who need serious help... Cos all what you guys have been saying is that if its not in the bible, then its bash... I still havent seen and you have not provided where it is written that xmas celebration is pagan worship.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by plappville(f): 12:37am On Dec 28, 2012
Zikkyy:

the purpose of the thread was to mock from the very beginning.

You liar angry you ve used ur talent to send him away .....He seems to be refuting you strongly no wonder. grin I repeat, Go and answer those questions. Can't you see this topic deserves some accurate answers??...why ignoring it and asking so much questions?

If I may say, Your arguements are the mockery ones since this thread!
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by ijawkid(m): 12:38am On Dec 28, 2012
Rich4god:
Good point you raised there. Have you seen any christian worshipping the sun god or xmas day or is any christian directing his activities on xmas day towards the sun god. Keep on contradicting yourself. And mind you, you have not shown me where it is written in the bible that xmas celebration is pagan worship, cos all you have been saying since is that the apostle didnt celebrate it.

Rich4god has not been paying attention o.......

You guys copied every bit of the sun god worshippers / saturlania celebrants .....and that is where your xmas was gotten from...........this whÓle thread has exposed each and every symbol,and custom used in xmas as pagan and not scriptural but yet you keep acting ignorant......oya answer this question....what has that useless Father christmas or santa claus got to do with Jesus Christ??..........

AÑd ofcus if the apostles didn't institute a commemoration as important as christmas then its a fraud my bro........the apostles are part of the foundation of Christianity.......

EphesiaÑs 2:19-20
19 Consequently, you are no longer foreigners
and strangers, but fellow citizens with God’s
people and also members of his household,
20 built on the foundation of the apostles and
prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the
chief cornerstone.

You forget the apostles are part of the foundation on which christianity is laid.....the earlier you understand this the better for you.........again I'll tell you:::::::...if the apostles didn't engage in the observaÑce of Christ birth then why are you doing it??...that question still stands...........

3 Likes

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by ijawkid(m): 12:42am On Dec 28, 2012
Rich4god:
I think its you who need serious help... Cos all what you guys have been saying is that if its not in the bible, then its bash... I still havent seen and you have not provided where it is written that xmas celebration is pagan worship.

we debunked you by showing no servant of God engaged in xmas......also we used history to expose the falsehood of xmas........its left for you to defend xmas with the scriptures,but you are here asking yeye questions..............go and ask the pope to answer your question....after all his predecessors formed this baal celebration......this thread has exposed every bit of what xmas is..........
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by plappville(f): 12:51am On Dec 28, 2012
honeric01:

I disagree, it was to expose, teach and enlighten us on some things we ignore or don't pay attention to as "Christians"

Just the truth broo.....some people don't believe they can learn good things from Christians forums. Their aim is just to argue, endlessly. I believe I have learnt lot here, my time is precious so I use it for precious matters as well.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by plappville(f): 1:15am On Dec 28, 2012
Rich4god:

Didn't you see your Christmas folk that created a threats that it should be called Christmas and not Xmas because the X is à DEMONIC TAG?

So was it the bible that tagged letter X As demonic You guys are so fun loving chop chop like Zikkyy grin
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by plappville(f): 1:18am On Dec 28, 2012
@Jewkid well done, you are really doing a good work.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Nobody: 8:19am On Dec 28, 2012
Good job Ijawkid for telling it as it is.

How does the use of Romans and Babylon derived sec-mins-hour time system and day-month-year calendering system relate to the shameless adopting of a celebration devoted to pagan gods worship, adopting almost all the pagan practices, doing it on exactly same day? Does a name change to Christmas automatically make it Christian? NOPE.

And to the question of showing where it's expressly stated in the Bible that Chrismas is wrong, I asked is it right for a Christian to abuse cocaine and other modern "hard drugs" (using or selling) because it's not condemned in the Bible?

What are some other truths we've learned so far:

1) The bible reports negatively on birthdays and for only pagans. Though it existed at the time, neither Jews nor Christians celebrated. Why? Obviously, God's worshippers did not celebrate it because of it's pagan roots.

2) The scriptures expressly condemns copying pagan religious practices/activities (of which Christmas reeks of). (Time systems and Calendering systems are not religious activities, Christmas is).

3) The Bible indicates the ONLY celebration Jesus said should be done to remember him - no other one is mentioned. And the early Christians followed this practice - celebration of his death.

4) The bible is "complete" for a Christian to worship God acceptably. There is no need to add thing to show our love to Christ. Definitely no need for adding a pagan-derived celebration.

How can we truly show that we love Christ? Is it by copying a pagan-derived celebration not in the Bible? The answer is in the Bible:

John 14:21 "Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him."

John 14:23 Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him."

Christmas is obviously not one of Christ's commands to remember him by. This is so clear.

2 Likes

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 8:43am On Dec 28, 2012
plappville:
Why are you taking this so personal? this is a general bases...Christmas is celebrated world wide and the motive is uniform.

You are confused. I have done my best to give you guys a direction, but it appears you are not ready to take sound advice. How can motive be the same? you cannot speak for everybody. You think the sango worshiper has the same motive with zikkyy when it comes to celebrating Christmas, or you think i share similar thoughts with the Atheist or Muslim popping champagne on Christmas day? You think motive is uniform when i send sallah wishes to my Muslim friends when they celebrate? your refusal to base your criticism on sound reasoning instead of the childish approach you guys have adopted is the reason i said the purpose of the thread ab-initio was to mock, and you guys keep showing that.

plappville:
My point is that, the scripture did not instruct this feast how much more laying a command that it´s a day set aside for «praise and worship» .

Your point is taken. You should also note that the scripture does not provide a list of dos and donts, the scripture is a guide and not a checklist. You cannot argue that scripture did not instruct an activity when the scripture also did not forbid the activity, that to me is not a sound approach to proving your point. A better approach for me would be to place that activity against the teachings and commandments and see if it meets up to behaviors expected of a Christian. For example you cannot say the activity of hackers (computer fraud) is a crime simply because the law did not say you can hack. You see that this does not make any sense and will not fly in a court of law because the law did not also say you cannot have illegal access to peoples computer. But one can prove that this is a crime by reference to other legal requirements and required ethical/moral conduct. This is what i expect from you. I am not here to support any behavior that is not acceptable to God, i am here because you are not making any sense.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 8:52am On Dec 28, 2012
plappville:
Is there restrictions in qouting posts not directed to us?

My sister, there are no restrictions. I was serious about him not understanding my post. If you were to be the one, i can handle your case without going into insults. I don't know him and am trying to avoid insults. you know am a gentleman now smiley
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 8:59am On Dec 28, 2012
ijawkid:
What do we use the pagan names for??.....do we call our kids by those names or what??...............or do we observe festivals that are directed towards Janus for example??.................

Don't you think your people saw that there was something wrong with the current calendar system when they made attempt at producing their own calendar system back in the days?
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Rich4god(m): 9:07am On Dec 28, 2012
@plapville and co... Keep on shouting that christmas is pagan practice whilst we that celebrate it know fully well that our action and activities are channeled toward God almighty. Before tha coming of christianity, pagans have temples where they worship. Do you now say that our church building are copy cat to pagan temples. I far as i know, you have no juridiction criticize anyone cos even you are still guilty of pagan practice. Why do you still use/wear wedding ring knowing fully well that pagans stated it. Thats why i keep saying that you are being myopic in your jugdment.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Rich4god(m): 9:09am On Dec 28, 2012
plappville:

Didn't you see your Christmas folk that created a threats that it should be called Christmas and not Xmas because the X is à DEMONIC TAG?

So was it the bible that tagged letter X As demonic You guys are so fun loving chop chop like Zikkyy grin
So it is no longer the celebration but the name is what you are after.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Rich4god(m): 9:21am On Dec 28, 2012
Go and make your research... Any time you say amen at the end of your prayer, you are actually calling on the name of an Egyptian god. I guess you are now worshipping amen the Egyptian god any time you are praying, and no longer God Almighty. Stop being selective in your jugdement.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 9:39am On Dec 28, 2012
plappville:
But of a truth bbirthday was recorded and was tagged with pagan figures!

Please allow zikkyy make a little modification to the above. Yes birthday feast/parties were recorded in the bible and the parties were by non-jewish/pagan figures. But this is not say Jews did not acknowledge the day they were given birth to. For anybody to record his/her age, it means that person on an annual basis acknowledge their birthday. I guess what we don't know is if they party on that day. The Jews had more than enough feasts anyways. If the issue is about throwing a feast to mark your birthday, i am not so sure the evidence is enough to call it a sin.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Rich4god(m): 9:42am On Dec 28, 2012
Before the advent of christianity, pagans do sing hyms and songs of worship to gods in their temple. So you all will have to do away with singing of songs/hyms to God Almighty as it has pagan origin. Plapville and co, am sure you sing in your church/place of worship. So plz, stop been selective in your judgement.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 10:01am On Dec 28, 2012
plappville:
You liar angry you ve used ur talent to send him away .....

I did not send anybody away o!. but come to think of it, how you want me to discuss with somebody that believes satan is somewhere in the north pole running things grin that one pass my level na. he had the option of discussing with you, ijawkid or truthislight. Afterall he said he came to learn and am sure he could have learnt a lot of stuff from you.

plappville:
.....He seems to be refuting you strongly no wonder. grin

refuting ke! shocked when i have been the one refuting you guys. what was he refuting? that i did not chop on xmas day? besides he did not come here to refute anything. he came to learn.

plappville:
I repeat, Go and answer those questions. Can't you see this topic deserves some accurate answers??...why ignoring it and asking so much questions?

See my answer below:

plappville:
So few questions for you:

When was the earliest december 25 (christmas day) marked? Not so sure, i think it sometime in the 3rd or 4th century A.D

When was it officially made a civic Holiday in the Roman Empire? Honestly, i have not done enough research to answer this one

Was this before Jesus birth or after? Haba! which kind question be this? how do you want peeps to celebrate Jesus birthday before he was born?

Did the Apostle or Jesus Mother celebrated it? We are not told they did. I think the apostles had more important issues to think off than go about feasting. Am not sure they attended any party angry Na who chop belleful dey throw party na, abi you no know? you don't party when there are issues angry

I believe i have answered your questions. You can see that un-like you i don't dodge questions and i don't manipulate, i tell it as it is.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 10:09am On Dec 28, 2012
plappville:
You guys are so fun loving chop chop like Zikkyy grin

Before nko? why i no go like fun? you want me to look older than my age? The only thing i do is to ensure my fun is controlled.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Nobody: 10:13am On Dec 28, 2012
Rich4god: Before the advent of christianity, pagans do sing hyms and songs of worship to gods in their temple. So you all will have to do away with singing of songs/hyms to God Almighty as it has pagan origin. Plapville and co, am sure you sing in your church/place of worship. So plz, stop been selective in your judgement.

Exodus 15 tells of Moses and the Israelites singing and exalting God.

God expressly commands his worshippers to sing - Isaiah 12:5 "Sing to Yahweh, for He has done glorious things. Let this be known throughout the earth".

You seem to be really struggling for a good justification for the obviously pagan-rooted Christmas, which was actually banned in England and Massachusetts in the past by the then rulers who believed "it was an insult to God to honor a day associated with ancient paganism".

3 Likes

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Rich4god(m): 10:22am On Dec 28, 2012
TroGunn:

Exodus 15 tells of Moses and the Israelites singing and exalting God.

God expressly commands his worshippers to sing - Isaiah 12:5 "Sing to Yahweh, for He has done glorious things. Let this be known throughout the earth".

You seem to be really struggling for a good justification for the obviously pagan-rooted Christmas, which was actually banned in England and Massachusetts in the past by the then rulers who believed "it was an insult to God to honor a day associated with ancient paganism".
@Bolded, the angels of God rejoiced when Christ was born. Am sure they didnt act on their own.
@Red text, even apostle Paul persecuted the early christians thinking it was a false religion. So your logic of christmas been banned in England did not hold any water. Least i forget, go to England now and see if christmas is not being celebrated.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Nobody: 10:45am On Dec 28, 2012
Rich4god:
@Bolded, the angels of God rejoiced when Christ was born. Am sure they didnt act on their own.
@Red text, even apostle Paul persecuted the early christians thinking it was a false religion. So your logic of christmas been banned in England did not hold any water. Least i forget, go to England now and see if christmas is not being celebrated.

The angels sure rejoiced when Jesus was born. Obviously, Jesus wasn't born every year after that and surely not on the 25 Dec.

Christians (and angels) surely thank God EVERY DAY for his love in providing a means for our sins to be forgiven and also show love for Jesus by doing exactly what he commanded us to do - obey Christ's commands.

My reasons for pointing out the earlier bans on Christmas is informative and highlight it's well-known association with paganism.

3 Likes

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by alexleo(m): 12:38pm On Dec 28, 2012
truthislight:

you lie!

Chrismas is celebrating the birthday of christ.

You people argue so blindly. We celebrate the fact that Jesus was born. We are not celebrating that day or date. Pagans may be celebrating or worhsiping the days of the week and we dont care to know. It is you people that propably went to the school of paganism or have time to study paganism that knows. For us we celebrate christ. Wether u people agree or not is very irrelevant. Likewise we celebrate the fact that we were born into this world and not that day or date. Thats what ee mean by celebrating birthday.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by truthislight: 6:04pm On Dec 28, 2012
chukwudi44: ws should please stop using the calendar months names since they have pagan origins.Some of them like January are named after roman gods.They should please stop using them or they will become hypocrites

Calendar Name Origins - Names of Months

January - ME Januari(us), OE Januarius, translation of Latin Januarius, named after JANUS, god of beginnings.
February - ME OE Februarius from Latin Februarius, named for Februa, the feast of purification.
March - ME March(e), from Latin Martius, (month of) Mars.
April - ME Averil, OF Avril, Latin Aprilis mensis (month). The name may derive from the Greek goddess of love, Aphrodite.
May - ME OE Maius, Latin Maius mensis (month), from the Greek Maia, goddess of spring (growth).
June - ME Jun(e), OE Iunius, from Latin mensis Junius, named after the goddess Juno, Queen of the gods.
July - ME Julie, OE Julius, from Latin Julius (Caesar) after whom it was named in 44 BC. The original name was quintilis, fifth month in the early Roman calendar.
August - ME OE Agustus from Latin Augustus (Caesar) 8 BC. The original name was sextilis, sixth month in the early Roman calendar.
September - ME Septembre from Latin September, seventh month in the early Roman calendar
October - ME OE from Latin October, eighth month in the early Roman calendar
November - ME OE from Latin November, ninth month of the early Roman calendar, from novem NINE
December - ME Decembre from OF and Latin December, tenth month of the early Roman calendar (decem TEN + membri from mens MONTH + ri suffix)

do you used them for worship?

If you do then take note that i dont.

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (29) (Reply)

The First Shall Be Last And The Last Shall Be First / We Can't Celebrate Jesus Enough- Abdulrazaq Hamzat / The Uncontrollable Spread Of Sexual Lust

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.