Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,301 members, 7,836,311 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:27 AM

Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... - Religion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... (12499 Views)

Questions About Religion For The Deep Thinker / Can You Change Your Present Religion For $50.....??? / Religion For Atheists. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jan 03, 2013
frosbel:

They had to suspend their religion But I thought they had no religion , only the esteemed education provided to them by their religious counterparts, please expatiate.

Btw , Galileo and Corpenicus were theists !!

Try again.

Mendel was a monk. Darwin lost his religion, he wasnt always an atheist. Dont be ignorant

That is my point! Galileo and Corpennicus were theists and see what happened to them in their own chuurch/religion when they cane with science that was problematic for the church/bible
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Oahray: 3:51pm On Jan 03, 2013
Logicboy03:

Can everybody see what Anony is doing? Reducing christianity to the teachings of christ only.

Can I visit you in oxford to burn the old testament part of your bible? grin grin grin
Christianity centres around Christ, and is different from Judaism. For example:
The Old testament said 'an eye for an eye', Jesus said 'love your enemies'.
How are they the same? Would you call a person practicing Judaism a Christian cos he holds parts of the Old Testament as sacred?
Use ur head jawe. If na to build full creature from a single tooth, e no dey hard una. But logical reasoning... lipsrsealed
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Enigma(m): 3:51pm On Jan 03, 2013
Oahray: ...says someone who has made no noteworthy contribution whatsoever to science grin grin grin

Sometimes you wonder if they even know the origin and original meaning of science. A thought: consider these expressions: natural science, social science, political science . . . etc

Reyginus: Enigma, are you a theist or an atheist?

Christian, ergo Theist. smiley
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jan 03, 2013
Mr_Anony:
Interestingly, the director of the Human Genome Project today Francis Sellers Collins is an Evangelical Christian. So much for the false assumption that there is a dichotomy between Science and 'Religion'

I havent even directly addressed the "false dichotomy" between science and religion. ut lets do

The distinction is clear. Christainity holds claims about the supernatural. Science only does natural.

Scientists are free to believe what they believe. My question to you is that are scientists who are atheists fools?
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jan 03, 2013
Enigma:

Sometimes you wonder if they even know the origin and original meaning of science. A thought consider these expressions: natural science, social science, political science . . . etc

And you would have private knowledge of this original meaning of science? WTF?
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 3:54pm On Jan 03, 2013
[size=14pt]I want to know what Nigerian atheists have contributed to the field of science.[/size]

Let me start with God believing Scientists in Nigeria :

Bartholomew Nnaji is an Igbo Nigerian scientist, innovator and one of the inventors of the E-Design concept.

Clement Adebamowo was born in Lagos, Nigeria, and graduated BM ChB Hons from the University of Jos, Nigeria, having earned a distinction at every examination. His research interests are non-communicable diseases epidemiology, AIDS-associated malignancies, and Bioethics. In 2010 Clement Adebamowo joined the International Prevention Research Institute, as Senior Research Fellow.

Louis Ajonuma (born in 1963) is a Nigerian-born Physiologist and Medical Scientist a recipient of some International Awards including the 11th Royan International Research Award in Reproductive Biomedicine & Stem Cell (Female Infertility), 2010.

Professor Ibrahim H. Umar is a Nigerian scientist and university administrator. He was Vice-Chancellor of Bayero University, Kano, Nigeria from 1979 to 1986.[1] He holds a B. Sc. in physics and mathematics from Ahmadu Bello University in Zaria, In 2007, he was on the international advisory committee for the international workshop on Renewable Energy for Sustainable Development in Africa, held at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka in Nigeria.[4]

Please show me ONE thing Nigerian atheists have contributed positively to humanity, forget about Oyinbo for now.
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jan 03, 2013
Oahray: Christianity centres around Christ, and is different from Judaism. For example:
The Old testament said 'an eye for an eye', Jesus said 'love your enemies'.
How are they the same? Would you call a person practicing Judaism a Christian cos he holds parts of the Old Testament as sacred?
Use ur head jawe. If na to build full creature from a single tooth, e no dey hard una. But logical reasoning... lipsrsealed

Christianity is centered around christ but can not exist and can not function without certain old testament scriptures.

Of which, we have a guy called Goshen that is arguing that the 4 gospels are old testament.

Goshen, thanks for saving me grin grin grin
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jan 03, 2013
Logicboy03:

Mendel was a monk. Darwin lost his religion, he wasnt always an atheist. Dont be ignorant

That is my point! Galileo and Corpennicus were theists and see what happened to them in their own chuurch/religion when they cane with science that was problematic for the church/bible
His excellency, I'd like to know what happened to Copernicus.
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 3:56pm On Jan 03, 2013
Enigma:

Sometimes you wonder if they even know the origin and original meaning of science. A thought: consider these expressions: natural science, social science, political science . . . etc

Okay.
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by wiegraf: 3:56pm On Jan 03, 2013
frosbel:

If you knew what critical thinking was, you would not be in the fallacious position that you are in today.

Well of course, being the expert that you are. Talking snakes, kill a thousand with an a$$ bone, live in a whale, etc.

Best of all, a jealous and sadistic omnixx.x* god complete with a beard that popped out of nowhere, apparently revealing himself only to some nomads who thought the round wheel was a novel and ingenious invention. Supposedly built the galaxy just for you, or to watch you in his version of big brother (which he cooked for 14 billion years btw). In the process hiding dinosaur bones and the CBR just for giggles, or mysterious reasons, or his good friend satan did it. The answer to that depends of course on which deluded is asked. Currently punishing everyone because some ignorant people ate a 'fruit'. Omnipotent yet let's kids starve to death. Unleashes storms and epidemics, and burns you for eternity for his mistakes.

But he loves you.

What universe's version of critical thinking do you use brah?

*btw, how do you define your own omnixx.x? Omniscient yet has free will?
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by wiegraf: 3:56pm On Jan 03, 2013
frosbel:

If you knew what critical thinking was, you would not be in the fallacious position that you are in today.

Well of course, being the expert that you are. Talking snakes, kill a thousand with an a$$ bone, live in a whale, etc.

Best of all, a jealous and sadistic omnixx.x* god complete with a beard that popped out of nowhere, apparently revealing himself only to some nomads who thought the round wheel was a novel and ingenious invention. Supposedly built the galaxy just for you, or to watch you in his version of big brother (which he cooked for 14 billion years btw). In the process hiding dinosaur bones and the CBR just for giggles, or mysterious reasons, or his good friend satan did it. The answer to that depends of course on which deluded is asked. Currently punishing everyone because some ignorant people ate a 'fruit'. Omnipotent yet let's kids starve to death. Unleashes storms and epidemics, and burns you for eternity for his mistakes.

But he loves you.

What universe's version of critical thinking do you use brah?

*btw, how do you define your own omnixx.x? Omniscient yet has free will?
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by MrAnony1(m): 3:57pm On Jan 03, 2013
Logicboy03:
Can everybody see what Anony is doing? Reducing christianity to the teachings of christ only.

Can I visit you in oxford to burn the old testament part of your bible? grin grin grin
Shut up. I have asked you who a christian is but you cannot answer. I have defined for you that a Christian simply means Christ-like. But instead of engage with it and apologize for lying against Christianty, you are here trying to dishonestly misrepresent my comment in order to uphold you intolerant bias.

What kind of dishonest atheist apologist are you trying to evolve into?
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jan 03, 2013
frosbel: [size13pt] I want to know what Nigerian atheists have contributed to the field of science.[/size]

Let me start with God believing Scientists in Nigeria :

Bartholomew Nnaji is an Igbo Nigerian scientist, innovator and one of the inventors of the E-Design concept.

Clement Adebamowo was born in Lagos, Nigeria, and graduated BM ChB Hons from the University of Jos, Nigeria, having earned a distinction at every examination. His research interests are non-communicable diseases epidemiology, AIDS-associated malignancies, and Bioethics. In 2010 Clement Adebamowo joined the International Prevention Research Institute, as Senior Research Fellow.

Louis Ajonuma (born in 1963) is a Nigerian-born Physiologist and Medical Scientist a recipient of some International Awards including the 11th Royan International Research Award in Reproductive Biomedicine & Stem Cell (Female Infertility), 2010.

Professor Ibrahim H. Umar is a Nigerian scientist and university administrator. He was Vice-Chancellor of Bayero University, Kano, Nigeria from 1979 to 1986.[1] He holds a B. Sc. in physics and mathematics from Ahmadu Bello University in Zaria, In 2007, he was on the international advisory committee for the international workshop on Renewable Energy for Sustainable Development in Africa, held at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka in Nigeria.[4]

Please show me ONE thing Nigerian atheists have contributed positivly to humanity, forget about Oyinbo for now.

Erm...errr......ehem.....but Nigeria is a very religious country naa!

Wole Soyinka was said to be an atheist but now he is some kinda of Yoruba mythologist- the guy fall my hand

Same for Chinua Achebe.

However have you heard of Leo Igwe?

Leo Igwe (born July 26 1970) is a Nigerian humanist and human rights activist, and a former Western and Southern African representative of the International Humanist and Ethical Union. Igwe has campaigned against child witchcraft,[1] and is currently engaged in researching African witchcraft accusations and their social impact[2] at the Bayreuth International School of African Studies, of the University of Bayreuth, Germany

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Igwe

Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by MrAnony1(m): 4:00pm On Jan 03, 2013
Logicboy03:

I havent even directly addressed the "false dichotomy" between science and religion. ut lets do

The distinction is clear. Christainity holds claims about the supernatural. Science only does natural.

Scientists are free to believe what they believe. My question to you is that are scientists who are atheists fools?

As long as they believe something can come from nothing they are.
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jan 03, 2013
Mr_Anony:
Shut up. I have asked you who a christian is but you cannot answer. I have defined for you that a Christian simply means Christ-like. But instead of engage with it and apologize for lying against Christianty, you are here trying to dishonestly misrepresent my comment in order to uphold you intolerant bias.

What kind of dishonest atheist apologist are you trying to evolve into?

Lololol.

The bible is there for all to see. Is it atheists that are quoting the old testament to preach tithing? Is it atheists that are beating witches? Is it atheists that quoted Leveitcus and Paul to support slavery in the past?

Abeg sharaap and tell the truth about christianity.

The founding ethical principles for you religion are in the old testament- the 10 commandments.
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jan 03, 2013
Wiegraff, we need contributions here, please;

https://www.nairaland.com/1150005/library-best-atheist-arguments-against

By contributions, I dot mean tithes oooo! In case any religous troll asks
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by MrAnony1(m): 4:04pm On Jan 03, 2013
Logicboy03:

Lololol.

The bible is there for all to see. Is it atheists that are quoting the old testament to preach tithing? Is it atheists that are beating witches? Is it atheists that quoted Leveitcus and Paul to support slavery in the past?

Abeg sharaap and tell the truth about christianity.

The founding ethical principles for you religion are in the old testament- the 10 commandments.
As usual you are arguing something else entirely instead of answering my question. You have no backing for your lies.
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jan 03, 2013
Logicboy, I'm still waiting to know what happened to Nicolas Copernicus.
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jan 03, 2013
Mr_Anony:
As long as they believe something can come from nothing they are.

lolz.....Sagamite tactics! When thoroughly debunked, hold on to some small irrelevant strawman to save face! cheesy cheesy
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by MrAnony1(m): 4:06pm On Jan 03, 2013
Logicboy03: lolz.....Sagamite tactics! When thoroughly debunked, hold on to some small irrelevant strawman to save face! cheesy cheesy
Lol, are you serious?
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 4:07pm On Jan 03, 2013
Mr_Anony:
As usual you are arguing something else entirely instead of answering my question. You have no backing for your lies.

My lies?

I clearly said that these things (tithing fraud, witch beating) are consequences of christianity. You said that it was a lie.

Any christian by now can see the dubious apologist you are. How can one deny christian atrocities that are done in daylight in his countries?

Do they not have backing in scriptures for this?
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 4:07pm On Jan 03, 2013
Logicboy03:

Erm...errr......ehem.....but Nigeria is a very religious country naa!

So we should ban religion in Africa so that we are left with uneducated atheists , no ?

However have you heard of Leo Igwe?

This is the best atheists can offer , a humanist , lol grin

I say ban religion and Africa is done !! The atheists we have are not exactly a breed who can take their place or contribute anything positive to our Continent.
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 4:08pm On Jan 03, 2013
Reyginus: Logicboy, I'm still waiting to know what happened to Nicolas Copernicus.

Erm there was some controversy when he released his work, wasnt there?

I dont like this waiting you are waiting for me ooo!
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by luxanne(f): 4:10pm On Jan 03, 2013
Jesus Christ, this is 2 real 2 be true. Never had an encounter with an atheist or even believed dy existed in dis country.
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 4:11pm On Jan 03, 2013
frosbel:

So we should ban religion in Africa so that we are left with uneducated atheists , no ?

I say ban religion and Africa is done !! The atheists we have are not exactly a breed who can take their place or contribute anything positive to our Continent.

Is it really your argument that atheists are not good people? That without religion these people that you mention could not have done what they did?

I know one guy called bill gates. By the way, what computer and OS d you use?

You probably dont know what a humanist is? I am guessing at your attempt at mockery. Humanist is not a job. He is also an activists fighting religious nonsense from the likes of your evnagelical bros

I never said that we should ban religion oooooooo
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 4:12pm On Jan 03, 2013
luxanne: Jesus Christ, this is 2 real 2 be true. Never had an encounter with an atheist or even believed dy existed in dis country.

You dont really know how unexposed you are. I hope you arent old....
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Enigma(m): 4:12pm On Jan 03, 2013
frosbel:

And with due respect to Leo, he is a small pikin intellectually and otherwise. smiley
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by MrAnony1(m): 4:12pm On Jan 03, 2013
Logicboy03:

My lies?

I clearly said that these things (tithing fraud, witch beating) are consequences of christianity. You said that it was a lie.

Any christian by now can see the dubious apologist you are. How can one deny christian atrocities that are done in daylight in his countries?

Do they not have backing in scriptures for this?
Essentially you are accusing people of committing atrocities by following Christ. I have asked you to show how Christ endorsed these atrocities. You have not. Keep lying.
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jan 03, 2013
Logicboy03:

Erm there was some controversy when he released his work, wasnt there?

I dont like this waiting you are waiting for me ooo!
Released! Erm... Erm.. Sir, when does controversy equal to flogging of science by religion? I was expecting something better.
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jan 03, 2013
Mr_Anony:
Essentially you are accusing people of committing atrocities by following Christ. I have asked you to show how Christ endorsed these atrocities. You have not. Keep lying.

You can redefine christianity all you want. You can deny that christians dont tithe or christians dont beat or even kill witches.

At the end of the day, most honest people will see you for the liar you are.

like an atheist here said;

Christians will try their best not to lie because of hell or Jesus but will generally lie to defend their religion
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jan 03, 2013
Reyginus: Released! Erm... Erm.. Sir, when does controversy equal to flogging of science by religion? I was expecting something better.

I didnt say that it was like that naa!

Corpenicus met some criticism if I rememeber. Sorry, I dont have time to google it. I am busy wrestling with Anony. the guy is too dubious!
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by MrAnony1(m): 4:19pm On Jan 03, 2013
Logicboy03:

You can redefine christianity all you want. You can deny that christians dont tithe or christians dont beat or even kill witches.

At the end of the day, most honest people will see you for the liar you are.

like an atheist here said;

Christians will try their best not to lie because of hell or Jesus but will generally lie to defend their religion
Lol, so christianity to you is something other than following Christ?

As I said, you don't know what Christianity is but you'll happily redefine it to fit you intolerant bias

...Don't worry, Emperor Nero did the same thing in his time and Chairman Mao did the exact same thing with buddhism too.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Is This A Real Mad Man, Prophet Or An Anti Christ? (photos +shocking Video) / Your Word For Today - Bible Verses That Inspire The Atheist/Anti-Christian / Don't Look For Deliverance - Pastor Chris

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.