Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,213 members, 7,811,581 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:03 PM

Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily (14970 Views)

We save N100b monthly from subsidy removal — NNPC / Ladipo Traders On Rampage / Fashola Earmarks N100b For Roads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by Sunnybobo3(m): 9:01am On Feb 28, 2013
naptu2:

The LG chairman also said that some people print tickets and extort money from members of the public, claiming that they are from the LG, but he doesn't know who those people are and the LG does not receive one kobo in revenue from the market. He said his officials are usually chased away by thugs anytime they go into the market to perform their duties.

The Lagos State Police Commissioner has had cause to invite the market leaders to his office because of this issue of thuggery.

Those are Yoruba Area boys and have got nothing to do with the market executives though the market union have their own internal levies paid by members.

If the LG chairman actually said that, he's either lying, been embezzling the funds or there is a serious cabal within the LG authority looting those proceeds and here we are on nairaland focusing on GEJ and Diezani.

3 Likes

Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by micklplus(m): 9:02am On Feb 28, 2013
Na wah! Its sad really and I feel for these guys but then, various warnings have been given and none was adhered to. The traders/government should start the clean up exercise immediately and the traders should be spared some time before relocating them to whereever that is very situable
Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by PROUDIGBO(m): 9:02am On Feb 28, 2013
CyberG:

Let them go back to their native land and do their business there. The laws and respect of your host states far outweigh whether you make 100 B or 100 Tr. In as much as some of the traders are appealing to our better angels, some ungrateful ibo bigots make it difficult to not want to repatriate the entire ibo back to their villages in SE. You don't own any other land except iboland. You will also have to pay your taxes in full, obey the laws, respect your hosts and understand that you are tenants with absolutely no rights to the land or any market.

^^^What sewer did this diseased rat crawl out from? Insofar as the 'one Nigeria' your god fought to sustain still exists, those traders have as much right as your wicked self to live, work, buy land and carry out any other legitimate business in Lagos. Kapish!?

6 Likes

Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by micklplus(m): 9:05am On Feb 28, 2013
Sunny_bobo:

Those are Yoruba Area boys and have got nothing to do with the market executives though the market union have their own internal levies paid by members.

If the LG chairman actually said that, he's either lying, been embezzling the funds or there is a serious cabal within the LG authority looting those proceeds and here we are on nairaland focusing on GEJ and Diezani.

Not just yoruba touts that are collecting illegal levies in the market, igbo touts are also seen in the market harassing and collecting various illegal levies. #fact!!!

2 Likes

Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by naptu2: 9:16am On Feb 28, 2013
My main concern is not necessarily in the immediate reopening of the market, but that they should devise a permanent solution to the problems.

Many markets have been closed in Lagos, but some have gone the extra mile to devise permanent solutions to the problem. For example, traders at Alade Market converted their market to an ultra modern shopping complex after several closures. Since so much money flows through Ladipo Market, I believe that the traders have the wherewithal to do the same.

Ladipo has been closed and reopened so many times, that it would be heartbreaking to hear that it was reopened and closed again.

Like the task force chairman said, they should liaise with Lawma to solve the problem of refuse disposal, create a proper parking system, so that their customer's cars do not impede the flow of traffic, discourage street trading and dispose of diesel, engine oil and other chemicals properly.
Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by Sunnybobo3(m): 9:21am On Feb 28, 2013
ODUA_NEGRO:

i suspect that if these guys do not hurry up and clean up but continue to affront the govt, some elders in the community will prevail on the governor to close the market permanently. ....afterall it belongs to the local government.

if that 100b means much to them they need to hurry up and get in there and begin the cleanup.

With all due respect brother, comments like the one above show you don't have a clue about how these markets operate. The elders of the community will be the ones begging for the market to reopen. Do you know how much 'cuts' those elders and their 'boys' make from that market? They make millions daily my brother. Also, many ordinary members of the community make a living from the location of the market there. You have the women who serve as porters (alabaru) with some of them strapping their babies to their backs while carrying goods for customers to the park or from the parking store. You have restaurant operators and other food vendors, you have pure water sellers etc

Also, property owners in the community will be the hardes hit if the market is closed as the traders will only move somewhere else and continue their trade. Ask Idumota landlords what happened when Auto parts traders moved to ASPMDA Trade fair. Those who own houses in those communities let their property out as parking stores for the traders who store goods brought in from their main ware houses far from the market as most times only samples are displayed in the shops cos of space. It is a very common practice for eg in Idumota where we operate for a man living in a flat with his family to let out one of the rooms to an Igbo trader as parking store at an exorbitant cost.

Why do you think NAFDAC hasn't been able to close Idumota market even when Dora Akunyili vowed to do so? Well, the late Oba of Lagos who himself was a pharmacist simply told her that his palace is not a market cos the Oba literally lives inside the market and gets settled heavily by the market union and he knows what his subjects would pass through should that market be moved.

Everything is not in black and white my brother.

5 Likes

Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by Sunnybobo3(m): 9:31am On Feb 28, 2013
micklplus:

Not just yoruba touts that are collecting illegal levies in the market, igbo touts are also seen in the market harassing and collecting various illegal levies. #fact!!!

The Igbo guys collect dues and levies for the union and from the traders alone. They do not harass any customers. Though the legality and reasons for those dues are debatable, they never claim to be collecting it for the government. Sometimes, we do have a corrupt market union executive and they fleece their fellow traders. Balogun traders association comes to mind as I know a member of the executive who made more than 200 million naira from their relocation to Trade fair.
Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by ODUANEGRO: 9:31am On Feb 28, 2013
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^What sewer did this diseased rat crawl out from? Insofar as the 'one Nigeria' your god fought to sustain still exists, those traders have as much right as your wicked self to live, work, buy land and carry out any other legitimate business in Lagos. Kapish!?

the only right they have in Yorubaland is that of a tributary. You know what a political tributary is?
Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by ODUANEGRO: 9:37am On Feb 28, 2013
Sunny_bobo:

With all due respect brother, comments like the one above show you don't have a clue about how these markets operate. The elders of the community will be the ones begging for the market to reopen. Do you know how much 'cuts' those elders and their 'boys' make from that market? They make millions daily my brother. Also, many ordinary members of the community make a living from the location of the market there. You have the women who serve as porters (alabaru) with some of them strapping their babies to their backs while carrying goods for customers to the park or from the parking store. You have restaurant operators and other food vendors, you have pure water sellers etc

Also, property owners in the community will be the hardes hit if the market is closed as the traders will only move somewhere else and continue their trade. Ask Idumota landlords what happened when Auto parts traders moved to ASPMDA Trade fair. Those who own houses in those communities let their property out as parking stores for the traders who store goods brought in from their main ware houses far from the market as most times only samples are displayed in the shops cos of space. It is a very common practice for eg in Idumota where we operate for a man living in a flat with his family to let out one of the rooms to an Igbo trader as parking store at an exorbitant cost.

Why do you think NAFDAC hasn't been able to close Idumota market even when Dora Akunyili vowed to do so? Well, the late Oba of Lagos who himself was a pharmacist simply told her that his palace is not a market cos the Oba literally lives inside the market and gets settled heavily by the market union and he knows what his subjects would pass through should that market be moved.

Everything is not in black and white my brother.

the elders dont care who occupy a market but they care about their community being filthy and a eysore and nuisance.

the elders are part of the people that lodged complaints. are you deaf or blind, cant read?
Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by micklplus(m): 9:40am On Feb 28, 2013
ODUA_NEGRO:

the only right they have in Yorubaland is that of a tributary. You know what a political tributary is?

Please, tell us. I like to acquire knowledge
Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by naptu2: 9:42am On Feb 28, 2013
Sunny_bobo:

The Igbo guys collect dues and levies for the union and from the traders alone. They do not harass any customers. Though the legality and reasons for those dues are debatable, they never claim to be collecting it for the government. Sometimes, we do have a corrupt market union executive and they fleece their fellow traders. Balogun traders association comes to mind as I know a member of the executive who made more than 200 million naira from their relocation to Trade fair.

Are you aware of the dispute with regards to the leadership off the "traders union" and the effect of that dispute on traders, motorists, residents etc?

(That's why it's not only residents that complained to the government about the market, even traders lodged complaints).
Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by ODUANEGRO: 9:43am On Feb 28, 2013
micklplus:

Please, tell us. I like to acquire knowledge

go get some basic knowledge on it first then come back with your pen and paper for a detailed dissection.
Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by jmaine: 9:47am On Feb 28, 2013
100 billion ke . .Na Police report dem write cheesy
Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by micklplus(m): 9:48am On Feb 28, 2013
ODUA_NEGRO:

go get some basic knowledge on it first then come back with your pen and paper for a detailed dissection.

Shame on you! LOL. Was hoping you'll be nice enough to explain the meaning!!!! I know the meaning more than you know bro.

Anywayssssss, goodluck to the traders. Cheers
Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 9:49am On Feb 28, 2013
Fashola can never be President and he should kindly close all the markets.

Fashola has already been labelled Human Rights Abuser by Amnesty International.

What a way to go?
https://www.nairaland.com/1206882/amnesty-international-accuses-lagos-forceful

1 Like

Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by Sunnybobo3(m): 9:50am On Feb 28, 2013
ODUA_NEGRO:

the elders dont care who occupy a market but they care about their community being filthy and a eysore and nuisance.

the elders are part of the people that lodged complaints. are you deaf or blind, cant read?

Those are the elders who have been short hanged by the other elders dude. I know how this things work. Oya make them go close Idumota na wey dem dey sell pharmaceuticals and medical equipments on top shit. The power of an Oba......
Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by TonySpike: 9:50am On Feb 28, 2013
naptu2: My main concern is not necessarily in the immediate reopening of the market, but that they should devise a permanent solution to the problems.

Many markets have been closed in Lagos, but some have gone the extra mile to devise permanent solutions to the problem. For example, traders at Alade Market converted their market to an ultra modern shopping complex after several closures. Since so much money flows through Ladipo Market, I believe that the traders have the wherewithal to do the same.

Ladipo has been closed and reopened so many times, that it would be heartbreaking to hear that it was reopened and closed again.

Like the task force chairman said, they should liaise with Lawma to solve the problem of refuse disposal, create a proper parking system, so that their customer's cars do not impede the flow of traffic, discourage street trading and dispose of diesel, engine oil and other chemicals properly.

LADIPO was never designated as a market area on the Lagos Stae masterplan. It used to be a very clean and quiet residential neighbourhood back in the 80's until some people decided to convert the once quiet neighbourhood into a full-fledged "AUTO" market. The solution is very simple, Oga naptu and you know it...
Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by ODUANEGRO: 9:52am On Feb 28, 2013
naptu2:

Are you aware of the dispute with regards to the leadership off the "traders union" and the effect of that dispute on traders, motorists, residents etc?

(That's why it's not only residents that complained to the government about the market, even traders lodged complaints).

dont you see this guy's name? sunny "bobo"! he must think he is preaching to bakassi boys over here.
Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by Sunnybobo3(m): 9:54am On Feb 28, 2013
naptu2:

Thereis always dispute within the traders union. Most market union executives are there to fill their pockets. Just like you have the opposition ACN in Nigeria. The common feature is that they all have their eyes on the common purse. Their is so much corruption in most Nigerian organisations. Even church committee members sef dey jazz themselves.

1 Like

Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by ODUANEGRO: 9:57am On Feb 28, 2013
Bliss4Lyfe: Fashola can never be President and he should kindly close all the markets.

Fashola has already been labelled Human Rights Abuser by Amnesty International.

What a way to go?

the only human rights body we recognize in Yorubaland is OPC. we dont know anything amnesty internqational. our land has never commited any human rights violation against anybody of non-Yoruba tribe. So if they want some fame to make name in nigeria, they need to go to iboland and dig up on osu and human kidnapping and they should go to north and dig up on human slaughter and bloodletting.

OPC loves Fashola, thats all we care to know.
Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by naptu2: 9:59am On Feb 28, 2013
Sunny_bobo:

Thereis always dispute within the traders union. Most market union executives are there to fill their pockets. Just like you have the opposition ACN in Nigeria. The common feature is that they all have their eyes on the common purse. Their is so much corruption in most Nigerian organisations. Even church committee members sef dey jazz themselves.

Exactly! And this has led to the different factions using thugs to harass traders, extorting money from motorists (in the name of parking levy) and passersby and generally endangering anyone who is in that area.
Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by ODUANEGRO: 10:06am On Feb 28, 2013
Sunny_bobo:

Those are the elders who have been short hanged by the other elders dude. I know how this things work. Oya make them go close Idumota na wey dem dey sell pharmaceuticals and medical equipments on top shit. The power of an Oba......

do you not see a relation here dude? everywhere ibo set foot, there is filth! do you know Okoya of Eleganza? multibillionaire! guess where he first opened shop? right there in idumota! do you know Otedola? multibillionaire! the grandfather started the family business in idumota and ereko. so there is nothing about the history of idumota you want to say here that i dont know. you are jjc in idumota, so shut up!

there was no sh.it and filth in idumota until ibo took over the place. do you not see the connection, that everywhere you settle in lagos filth soon settles in with you?
Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by naptu2: 10:09am On Feb 28, 2013
ODUA_NEGRO:

dont you see this guy's name? sunny "bobo"! he must think he is preaching to bakassi boys over here.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha!

This got me laughing.
Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by Sunnybobo3(m): 10:29am On Feb 28, 2013
ODUA_NEGRO:

do you not see a relation here dude? everywhere ibo set foot, there is filth! do you know Okoya of Eleganza? multibillionaire! guess where he first opened shop? right there in idumota! do you know Otedola? multibillionaire! the grandfather started the family business in idumota and ereko. so there is nothing about the history of idumota you want to say here that i dont know. you are jjc in idumota, so shut up!

there was no sh.it and filth in idumota until ibo took over the place. do you not see the connection, that everywhere you settle in lagos filth soon settles in with you?

Lol! You just shot your self on the foot dude. Let me explain it in a way you will understand.

Idumota is not a market in the sense of a closed market. It is made up of residential buildings of mainly 3 floors (inhabited by the natives) with the ground floors mainly made up of shops which the Igbo traders occupy. Properties are built in Idumota in a way that there are no septic tanks for sewage collections so they connects PVC pipes from the toilets and bathrooms in each flat which flows into the very shallow open gutter ( not more than 6 inches deep) just beside or in front of the houses and the sewage materials then make their way to the lagoon which is just a few metres away. The human waste filth has got nothing to do with the traders in that case. It's an eyesore to behold though. I've had poo splash on me before from one of them broken PVC pipes

5 Likes

Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by Sunnybobo3(m): 10:31am On Feb 28, 2013
naptu2:

Exactly! And this has led to the different factions using thugs to harass traders, extorting money from motorists (in the name of parking levy) and passersby and generally endangering anyone who is in that area.

The market union 'thugs' do not collect parking levies, the LG thugs do. This I know. Wether the money gets to the right authority is what I don't know.
Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by Ladipodeal: 10:53am On Feb 28, 2013
Ladipo too dirty and unorganized. Most traders there make neck breaking profits by cheating their customers. Govt should show concern in regulating their activities to protect innocent citizen. If Ladipo and some other auto market around the country well regulated,incidence of stolen vehicles will be reduced nationwide.

It is almost impossible getting a good plug wire from ladipo market whereas plug wire is in display everywhere around the market.

1 Like

Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by ODUANEGRO: 11:04am On Feb 28, 2013
Sunny_bobo:

Lol! You just shot your self on the foot dude. Let me explain it in a way you will understand.

Idumota is not a market in the sense of a closed market. It is made up of residential buildings of mainly 3 floors (inhabited by the natives) with the ground floors mainly made up of shops which the Igbo traders occupy. Properties are built in Idumota in a way that there are no septic tanks for sewage collections so they connects PVC pipes from the toilets and bathrooms in each flat which flows into the very shallow open gutter ( not more than 6 inches deep) just beside or in front of the houses and the sewage materials then make their way to the lagoon which is just a few metres away. The human waste filth has got nothing to do with the traders in that case. It's an eyesore to behold though. I've had poo splash on me before from one of them broken PVC pipes

dude, i was raised in isale eko. take nnamdi azikiwe from the clock tower go north till you reach under bridge by ebute and go east uptil you get to dosunmu street and then head south to idoluwo and cut west to connect back to the tower, prior to ibos moving in there were only two high rise buildings. the bata building on dosunmu by idoluwo and the standard bank building by dosunmu and idunsagbe. you can take idunsagbe to cut through the alley back to onikoyi street.

the high rise that you describe were new installs to increase real estate space for the ibos influx and maximize profits. that was the age of developer striking deals with land owners for 30yr mortgage contract. the demand was high and so the construct were hurriedly completed with poor oversight and vision. Remember when a building collapsed in idumota and killed many people? the first one of such incidences in idumota! the filth and poo you describe is what came in with ibo settlers into idumota.

you should see and compare pictures of idumota before your arrival and the after to see how bad you have turned the place into a ghetto. Idumota was a pride of the country.....when Head of State receives foreign dignitaries the motorcade drive slowly pass in front of idumota. sometime they stop at the statue of the "unknown soldier" to lay wreath before continuing to carter bridge.

again, you are jjc in idumota...shut up!

1 Like

Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by Sunnybobo3(m): 11:24am On Feb 28, 2013
ODUA_NEGRO:

dude, i was raised in isale eko. take nnamdi azikiwe from the clock tower go north till you reach under bridge by ebute and go east uptil you get to dosunmu street and then head south to idoluwo and cut west to connect back to the tower, prior to ibos moving in there were only two high rise buildings. the bata building on dosunmu by idoluwo and the standard bank building by dosunmu and idunsagbe. you can take idunsagbe to cut through the alley back to onikoyi street.

the high rise that you describe were new installs to increase real estate space for the ibos influx and maximize profits. that was the age of developer striking deals with land owners for 30yr mortgage contract. the demand was high and so the construct were hurriedly completed with poor oversight and vision. Remember when a building collapsed in idumota and killed many people? the first one of such incidences in idumota! the filth and poo you describe is what came in with ibo settlers into idumota.

you should see and compare pictures of idumota before your arrival and the after to see how bad you have turned the place into a ghetto. Idumota was a pride of the country.....when Head of State receives foreign dignitaries the motorcade drive slowly pass in front of idumota. sometime they stop at the statue of the "unknown soldier" to lay wreath before continuing to carter bridge.

again, you are jjc in idumota...shut up!

The Igbo traders do not live in Idumota, the natives do. The Igbo traders do not flush human waste into the lagoon via the open shallow gutters, the natives do. The developers in Isale Eko are not Igbos, they are Yorubas. Deal with it!

8 Likes

Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by ODUANEGRO: 11:36am On Feb 28, 2013
the high rise craze in idumota was to occupy and accomodate igbos paying 2 and 3 years advance rent. Competition was hot between Igbos wanting space at prime spot by all means. The Igbos setup shops and lived in the shops and also rented apartments and flats in the high rise. They were importing apprentices from village and they arrived daily.....some slept 10 or more in a room. What are you talking about? Those buildings were erected for you to do business and live in. Some of your boys born in lagos were conceived in these flats. For someone fresh from village this was great....but as you learnt your ways around lagos and opened eyes then you began to spread out to surulere and aguda and left the idumota ghetto for your apprentice.

i know all about your rise....from when you first arrived lagos with no shoe to now where you are flaunting thinking you own lagos. i gave you two examples already...okoya and otedola. these are just two...out of many. multibillionaires and yet humble and stay under the radar. they started from idumota, right there where your loud mouthed arrogant brothers are making noise on chicken change profit made from selling fake products.

1 Like

Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by naptu2: 11:49am On Feb 28, 2013
How can you be making 100 billion daily and still feel it's ok to do business in a place like this?

The way things were at Ladipo Market.

lukkie: I went to the market recently and took these pictures while waiting for the guy to source some parts. Note that this is just a small section of the market.

Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by fkaz(m): 12:10pm On Feb 28, 2013
What about the concession of onisha port, how fa with it? I think ibo people need to urge FG to act fast

https://www.nairaland.com/1187794/fg-begins-concessioning-onitsha-ports#14199567
Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by 9jaIhail(m): 12:16pm On Feb 28, 2013
Sunny_bobo:

Those who collect those levies are Yoruba touts acting on behalf of the state and various local government agencies.

Point of correction sunny, Yoruba touts appointed my thiefunumbu.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

INEC Stops Use Of Card Readers In Cross River / Nigeria Lost N9t To Fuel Subsidy In Four Years,pdp Senators,reps. / Oba Obateru Akinruntan Hijacks Election Materials In Ondo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.