Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,081 members, 7,811,025 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:05 PM

Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily (14966 Views)

We save N100b monthly from subsidy removal — NNPC / Ladipo Traders On Rampage / Fashola Earmarks N100b For Roads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by Slizbeat(m): 11:59pm On Feb 27, 2013
We Are Losing N100billion Daily Cry Ladipo Traders. And My Suggestion To All

I personally felt their pain in this. Was at Ladipo yesterday and saw loads of containers on the streets. Some as far as ilupeju and you know that the trailer drivers can not leave the containers there and drive their trailers home. These same traders that has been chased from work for two days now would have to be paying dumerage(don't know if my spelling is right) for the number of days the trailer would be there pending when the market is finally opened.
Well, I don't know what to say as I too feel pains for them other than to plead with the State govt to act quickly and not allow the issue stay for another two days so these traders could go about their businesses. One thing with container business is that money does not go to the bank. It goes back abroad for more goods and that is why the traders complain of not having money at hand.

What I would personally advice these traders to do is to ask for 6months--1year from the govt to occupy ladipo. During that period, those with enough cash should be able to purchase a land along Lagos-Ibadan expressway or better still move down South-east, build up ware houses while those with less cash should rent them pending when they make enough to build theirs.
By so, they would be free to trade without interruption. Why I put the south-east there was because majority affected are from that region. I know its not easy but they should try cos a journey of a thousand miles starts with a step.

Here is a Quote of what the traders say:

LAGOS — TRADERS in the popular Ladipo auto parts market closed down, yesterday, by Lagos State Government on Monday have started counting their losses, saying they are losing at least N100 billion daily.
Traders who spoke to Vanguard yesterday, lamented that they were already feeling the pains of the closure as they could no longer meet their obligations to their families.
Speaking, Secretary of the Aguiyi Ironsi Traders Union, Mr. Christian Igbaunam told Vanguard that his members would be losing over N100billions per day to the closure and lamented that efforts to meet with the Lagos State Task force on Environmental and Special Offences (Enforcement) Units, to negotiate the opening of the market had proved abortive.

He said: “We have over 1,500 registered members. Individual members make not less than N10 million daily. On the average, members will be losing over N100billions on a daily basis to the closure of the market.”
He denied allegations that their security guards arrested were armed robbers, saying “those allegations made against our security guards are false. They were not armed with guns and were not against the state officials. They were only misunderstood. These are security guards put in place by the association to arrest criminal activities in the market. I am pleading for their release.”

A trader who spoke on condition of anonymity, said “whenever I offload my containers, I make not less than 15million. Just imagine what I will be losing now that the market has been shut.”

Another who gave his name as Jude Tobechukwu, pleaded for the re-opening of the market, saying “we are losing billions of Naira to the closure of this market. Today’s (yesterday) is the second day that we have been shut out. I have lost over N10 million since the closure. That is a huge sum of money even those in government do not want to lose.”

One Okolie Amadi, claimed his wife was in the hospital for a kidney transplant, lamenting that “I was hoping to use this week to look for money for the transplant. My wife is lying helpless in the hospital awaiting a kidney transplant due to lack of money. I came to the market to see if I can raise some money for her operations only to see that armed mobile police men have barricaded the entrance to the market. I am pleading to the state government to have pity on us.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/02/closed-market-were-losing-n100bn-daily-cry-ladipo-traders/

1 Like

Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by basisop(m): 12:26am On Feb 28, 2013
Wondering why Ohaneze is yet to interfere!
Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by 2CatWoman: 12:32am On Feb 28, 2013
Those are big numbers. Somthing dosen't add up.
Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by Nobody: 1:27am On Feb 28, 2013
All they had to do was not sh*it in plastic bags, not clog up the sewers and to throw their trash in trash cans.

Oh, the Govt didnt provide trash cans or portable toilets? Well, from the N100Billion/day theyve been earning for the last 25yrs or so, I bet they couldve taken 0.1% of a day's earnings to get those amenities instead of hiring mercenaries with dangerous weapons to act as "security".

24 Likes

Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by Nobody: 2:09am On Feb 28, 2013
If they actually make N100billion daily in that market, they should be paying at least N10billion daily in taxes to the Lagos State Government... In a sane country, that would have been the right thing to do - however, everything in Nigeria is so tribalised that countries exist within a country... Yet, everyone questions why the country is so backward...

You make N100billion daily in that dump-site without paying the right taxes, yet you can fix the darn place up... However, when the authorities closed the dump-site down for causing health hazards and a nuisance to the environment - everyone from the tribe of those affected was ranting about tribalism smmfdh...

19 Likes

Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by Nobody: 2:10am On Feb 28, 2013
basisop: Wondering why Ohaneze is yet to interfere!

Why tribalise the whole thing??

And what's ohaneze or whatever's business in this??

You guys just like to throw the toys out of the pram over everything smh...
Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by sparkleboy(m): 2:36am On Feb 28, 2013
I went to collect two cars from my clearing agent at tin can, we took the cars to fix up some thing at ladipo market,being the first time I went there (feb 12) i was alarmed at the way every john, joystick and harry , rushed and besieged us demanding for all sorts of payment for bringing in tokunbo cars.. wow. by the time we left there we had paid around 4k for all sorts of illegitimate levy, even police officer collected. so am happy at the decision of lagos state govt. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by sEyi6: 2:45am On Feb 28, 2013
you're earning millions daily?! but can't dedicated a token just to keep where you get these millions from clean and habitable for yourself and the customers?!

rules and laws are not to be bent 'cause of our excuses, else they lost their qualities as rules.

4 Likes

Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by peckhamboi: 4:05am On Feb 28, 2013
N100 billion daily

N3 trillion monthly (x 30)

N36 trillion annually (x 12)

Nigeria's budget = N4.9 trillion

They claim to be making more than 7 times the whole country's budget in a year.
[size=14pt]Somebody is telling a bold face lie[/size]

42 Likes

Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by ODUANEGRO: 4:36am On Feb 28, 2013
Slizbeat: I personally felt their pain in this. Was at Ladipo yesterday and saw loads of containers on the streets. Some as far as ilupeju and you know that the trailer drivers can not leave the containers there and drive their trailers home. These same traders that has been chased from work for two days now would have to be paying dumerage(don't know if my spelling is right) for the number of days the trailer would be there pending when the market is finally opened.
Well, I don't know what to say as I too feel pains for them other than to plead with the State govt to act quickly and not allow the issue stay for another two days so these traders could go about their businesses. One thing with container business is that money does not go to the bank. It goes back abroad for more goods and that is why the traders complain of not having money at hand.

What I would personally advice these traders to do is to ask for 6months--1year from the govt to occupy ladipo. During that period, those with enough cash should be able to purchase a land along Lagos-Ibadan expressway or better still move down South-east, build up ware houses while those with less cash should rent them pending when they make enough to build theirs.
By so, they would be free to trade without interruption. Why I put the south-east there was because majority affected are from that region. I know its not easy but they should try cos a journey of a thousand miles starts with a step.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/02/closed-market-were-losing-n100bn-daily-cry-ladipo-traders/

can you please advise them to start the cleanup immediately. all the time they waste marching and protesting could be spent. cleaning up their filth.

fashola is not going to back down, he will not reopen until the measures are all satisfied.

5 Likes

Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by babapupa: 4:59am On Feb 28, 2013
peckhamboi: N100 billion daily

$240 billion annually? And the entire Lagos state GDP is $43 billion? The local capacity and buying power is not even there to support that bogus number. You can not take them seriously, they are liars and they lie about everything.

7 Likes

Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by Rhino5dm: 5:00am On Feb 28, 2013
If you claim your are making this much, then why can't you fix the place? Ladipo market is in such a disgusting state. Thesame way they turned Ikoku market in portharcourt and Apo mechanic village in Abuja to. Is there any correlation between selling spare parts and filth?

All they are interested in is making profit at all cost. I had fever the last time I was in that market. I'm personally calling on Lagos state government to make sure all necessary logistics are in place before reopening that place.

Governor Ameachi is also making arraignment of moving Ikoku spare parts market out .

1 Like

Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by babapupa: 5:10am On Feb 28, 2013
ODUA_NEGRO:

can you please advise them to start the cleanup immediately. all the time they waste marching and protesting could be spent. cleaning up their filth.

fashola is not going to back down, he will not reopen until the measures are all satisfied.

Just listen to them. They are not even addressing the state's grievances or coming up with plans to clean up their mess and have the place opened as soon as possible, instead they are talking about money money money as if the state's concerns means nothing and all that matters is their money. The state is losing money too and obviously they don't care because this issue is more than money, this is about the environment that we all share and we have to protect it for future generations.

5 Likes

Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by ODUANEGRO: 5:38am On Feb 28, 2013
peckhamboi: N100 billion daily

we are going to take their claim at face value and impose a face value tax that is commensurate at the individual level.

hopefully after 6months of heavy tax they will repent and amend their claim.

10 Likes

Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by Sunnybobo3(m): 6:18am On Feb 28, 2013
sparkleboy: I went to collect two cars from my clearing agent at tin can, we took the cars to fix up some thing at ladipo market,being the first time I went there (feb 12) i was alarmed at the way every john, joystick and harry , rushed and besieged us demanding for all sorts of payment for bringing in tokunbo cars.. wow. by the time we left there we had paid around 4k for all sorts of illegitimate levy, even police officer collected. so am happy at the decision of lagos state govt. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Those who collect those levies are Yoruba touts acting on behalf of the state and various local government agencies.

9 Likes

Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by Hardfact: 6:30am On Feb 28, 2013
Yes there must be serious losses that'll accrue. (But certainly that figure must be wrong.) Whether Fashola really cares about that or factored that in is a different story. By now they should have learnt how to deal with these things since it's becoming a regular ritual. They can as well think of moving their business to wherever favours them most if they really do feel they're unjustly treated. Such is the time.
Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by takedat(m): 6:35am On Feb 28, 2013
Their claim of losing a N100billion daily, is a barefaced lie. The state and local governments are also losing money with the closure, so it isn't a case of the marketers at loss only. The marketers should immediately commence the clean-up of the market, and after that, the market association can engage the state government!
Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by Sunnybobo3(m): 6:51am On Feb 28, 2013
babapupa:

$240 billion annually? And the entire Lagos state GDP is $43 billion? The local capacity and buying power is not even there to support that bogus number. You can not take them seriously, they are liars and they lie about everything.

They might not be making up to that but trust me their daily turn over is way up there. Mind you, that is turn over and not profit. That's same way Dora Akunyili was shocked when she said she learnt that a pharmaceutical trader in Idumota make up to 3.5m in daily sales when she initially got to NAFDAC. I laughed at the statement then knowing fully well that that amount is what an average trader in the market then turns over as I was in the market at the time helping out with my brothers biz.

At that time, 3.5m for us was just a single purchase by a single customer say an Alhaji from Maiduguri, or a customer from Onitsha, Kano or Aba. If its on a day when you have some of your foreign customers from Chad, Niger republic etc, na carton we dey use carry money go bank like 3 to four times a day. This is just gor a guy who was just starting after his apprenticeship though his 'master' is one of the big players thereby giving him a sound footing to start with.

For big boys like Tony (Orange drugs), Nnamdi ( Embassy pharmaceuticals), Ebele and Obiora( Greenlife pharm, owners of Lonart), Edwin (Clarion Medicals), Elvis (EPIL pharm), St. Michael pharm (owner of maloxine), Paully (Elbe pharm, owner of Amalar), Richmoore (Richy Gold pharmaceuticals), Neros Pharm (owner of Artesunat) etc, their sales in Idumota alone on an average day would be over 100 million naira each.

If you doubt this story, ask any of your friends who work in a bank branch located in any of those markets especially Trade fair, Idumota and Alaba.

They won't be making up to 100 billion naira as claimed but forget all that crap about GDP. How do they generate the figures in a chaotic society like Nigeria.

14 Likes

Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by ODUANEGRO: 7:09am On Feb 28, 2013
Sunny_bobo:

They might not be making up to that but trust me their daily turn over is way up there. Mind you, that is turn over and not profit. That's same way Dora Akunyili was shocked when she said she learnt that a pharmaceutical trader in Idumota make up to 3.5m in daily sales when she initially got to NAFDAC. I laughed at the statement then knowing fully well that that amount is what an average trader in the market then turns over as I was in the market at the time helping out with my brothers biz.

At that time, 3.5m for us was just a single purchase by a single customer say an Alhaji from Maiduguri, or a customer from Onitsha, Kano or Aba. If its on a day when you have some of your foreign customers from Chad, Niger republic etc, na carton we dey use carry money go bank like 3 to four times a day. This is just gor a guy who was just starting after his apprenticeship though his 'master' is one of the big players thereby giving him a sound footing to start with.

For big boys like Tony (Orange drugs), Nnamdi ( Embassy pharmaceuticals), Ebele and Obiora( Greenlife pharm, owners of Lonart), Edwin (Clarion Medicals), Elvis (EPIL pharm), St. Michael pharm (owner of maloxine), Paully (Elbe pharm, owner of Amalar), Richmoore (Richy Gold pharmaceuticals), Neros Pharm (owner of Artesunat) etc, their sales in Idumota alone on an average day would be over 100 million naira.

If you doubt this story, ask any of your friends who work in a bank branch located in any of those markets especially Trade fair, Idumota and Alaba.

They won't be making up to 100 billion naira as claimed but forget all that crap about GDP. How do they generate the figures in a chaotic society like Nigeria.

and all these people you mentioned pay tax, right? if they pay tax in measure of their income, then i will say go and invite all your brothers from north to relocate to west. we have children who need scholarship, we need to setup elderly facilities and welness care for our senior citizens, ......in exchange for the land and security your tax should be funding the social programs.

1 Like

Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by OurYansh: 7:20am On Feb 28, 2013
All they care about is‎​ making money, what about the issues that lead to the closure??

Instead of making arrangements to clean up the market, they're talking about their inability to buy gaRri for their family..

angry
Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by babapupa: 7:21am On Feb 28, 2013
Our Yansh: All they care about is‎​ making money, what about the issues that lead to the closure??

Instead of making arrangements to clean up the market, they're talking about their inability to buy gaRri for their family..

angry

They just don't get it. Their problem is greed and selfishness..

1 Like

Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by Sunnybobo3(m): 7:23am On Feb 28, 2013
ODUA_NEGRO:

and all these people you mentioned pay tax, right? if they pay tax in measure of their income, then i will say go and invite all your brothers from north to relocate to west. we have children who need scholarship, we need to setup elderly facilities and welness care for our senior citizens, ......in exchange for the land and security your tax should be funding the social programs.

Yes they pay tax but to be honest nobody in Nigeria except the civil servants and SOME salaried employees in the private sector pay the right amount of tax. Mind you tax is paid on profit and not on turnover and there are legal ways to avoid tax if you have a smart accountant.

This is just like asking how much tax the Indians who own virtually most of the small businesses in London pay in tax.

Starbucks made over £400M in the UK in 2011 and paid no tax. But then apart from corporation tax, these people have employees who pay PAYEE tax, they pay several levies, pay duties to customs, pay VAT etc.

The truth remains that a typical Nigerian business never pays the right taxes.

5 Likes

Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by sparkleboy(m): 7:50am On Feb 28, 2013
ODUA_NEGRO:

we are going to take their claim at face value and impose a face value tax that is commensurate at the individual level.

well said. good for them
.I think fashola should be shown dis thread.
Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by Nobody: 8:24am On Feb 28, 2013
Sunny_bobo:

For big boys like Tony (Orange drugs), Nnamdi ( Embassy pharmaceuticals), Ebele and Obiora( Greenlife pharm, owners of Lonart), Edwin (Clarion Medicals), Elvis (EPIL pharm), St. Michael pharm (owner of maloxine), Paully (Elbe pharm, owner of Amalar), Richmoore (Richy Gold pharmaceuticals), Neros Pharm (owner of Artesunat) etc, their sales in Idumota alone on an average day would be over 100 million naira each.

What about E Chucks? that guy is a very good man, I believe he set the standard for quality of pharmaceuticals in Idumota, he is also a philanthropists. He's one Ibo man I can find no fault in.
Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by Sunnybobo3(m): 8:28am On Feb 28, 2013
inufele2:

What about E Chucks? that guy is a very good man, I believe he set the standard for quality of pharmaceuticals in Idumota, he is also a philanthropists. He's one Ibo man I can find no fault in.

E chuks (his shop is on Atin street) is also one of the big boys. I only mentioned a few. He was the first guy that discovered China as a source of cheap pharmaceutical products and made a kill from it when others were still importing from Europe at exorbitant prices.
Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by Sunnybobo3(m): 8:31am On Feb 28, 2013
ODUA_NEGRO:

Dude tax is paid on profit and not turnover. I can make a turnover of 500 billion naira and still declare loss. I end up paying nada, innit?

Mind you that any heavy levy imposed will be passed on to the consumer, that includes you and yours.

8 Likes

Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by Afam4eva(m): 8:39am On Feb 28, 2013
shymexx: If they actually make N100billion daily in that market, they should be paying at least N10billion daily in taxes to the Lagos State Government... In a sane country, that would have been the right thing to do - however, everything in Nigeria is so tribalised that countries exist within a country... Yet, everyone questions why the country is so backward...

You make N100billion daily in that dump-site without paying the right taxes, yet you can fix the darn place up... However, when the authorities closed the dump-site down for causing health hazards and a nuisance to the environment - everyone from the tribe of those affected was ranting about tribalism smmfdh...
And what makes you think that they're not paying tax that's that much?
Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by ODUANEGRO: 8:44am On Feb 28, 2013
Afam4eva:
And what makes you think that they're not paying tax that's that much?

thats one of the complaints from Mushin LG. They dont pay their levies and taxes. The LG has a long list of complaint against them.
Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by CyberG: 8:45am On Feb 28, 2013
Slizbeat: I personally felt their pain in this. Was at Ladipo yesterday and saw loads of containers on the streets. Some as far as ilupeju and you know that the

Let them go back to their native land and do their business there. The laws and respect of your host states far outweigh whether you make 100 B or 100 Tr. In as much as some of the traders are appealing to our better angels, some ungrateful ibo bigots make it difficult to not want to repatriate the entire ibo back to their villages in SE. You don't own any other land except iboland. You will also have to pay your taxes in full, obey the laws, respect your hosts and understand that you are tenants with absolutely no rights to the land or any market.
Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by naptu2: 8:52am On Feb 28, 2013
ODUA_NEGRO:

thats one of the complaints from Mushin LG. They dont pay their levies and taxes. The LG has a long list of complaint against them.

The LG chairman also said that some people print tickets and extort money from members of the public, claiming that they are from the LG, but he doesn't know who those people are and the LG does not receive one kobo in revenue from the market. He said his officials are usually chased away by thugs anytime they go into the market to perform their duties.

The Lagos State Police Commissioner has had cause to invite the market leaders to his office because of this issue of thuggery.
Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by ODUANEGRO: 8:57am On Feb 28, 2013
naptu2:

The LG chairman also said that some people print tickets and extort money from members of the public, claiming that they are from the LG, but he doesn't know who those people are and the LG does not receive one kobo in revenue from the market. He said his officials are usually chased away by thugs anytime they go into the market to perform their duties.

The Lagos State Police Commissioner has had cause to invite the market leaders to his office because of this issue of thuggery.

i suspect that if these guys do not hurry up and clean up but continue to affront the govt, some elders in the community will prevail on the governor to close the market permanently. ....afterall it belongs to the local government.

if that 100b means much to them they need to hurry up and get in there and begin the cleanup.
Re: Ladipo Traders Claim To Lose N100B Daily by ODUANEGRO: 8:59am On Feb 28, 2013
CyberG:

Let them go back to their native land and do their business there. The laws and respect of your host states far outweigh whether you make 100 B or 100 Tr. In as much as some of the traders are appealing to our better angels, some ungrateful ibo bigots make it difficult to not want to repatriate the entire ibo back to their villages in SE. You don't own any other land except iboland. You will also have to pay your taxes in full, obey the laws, respect your hosts and understand that you are tenants with absolutely no rights to the land or any market.

AWESOME!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Kogi Speaker In Fatal Accident, Driver Dies, Speaker Survives / "No Record Of Visa Application By ISIS Chief" - Parrandang / BREAKING!!! Alleged Real Photo Of Buhari And Jubrin Released By Radio Biafra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.