Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,621 members, 7,816,559 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:07 PM

Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless (46919 Views)

Fatal Auto Crash In Lagos Leaving Six Dead / Picture Of Slums In The Usa / Eye On Lagos - Emergency Services. Is Lagos Leaving Nigeria Behind? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 1:46am On Mar 04, 2013
Billyonaire: You are loosing it already. I refuse to be insulted and I demand your respect. I am not in any way going to exchange ill-words with you cos apparently you are not well-cultured, and not well-lettered. My points are very very clear. Lagos state government have right to demolish, but should provide alternative for the poor who have no where else to go. There is no society without the poor, but the poor have rights to life and decent living courtesy of the government. Even when the poor has nothing, they have thumps and they voted.

Ok, let me indulge and see what you've got...

Firstly, the people displaced were living there illegally - so was it justified, or not??

Secondly, Fashola represents Lagosians and not Nigerians - so why should he provide alternative for those among who're not indigenous to Lagos(bear in mind that poor people don't pay taxes to the state)

Lastly, who isn't responsible for poor Nigerians(note, I said Nigerians not Lagosians) - Fashola or the FG??
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 1:49am On Mar 04, 2013
Billyonaire: You are loosing it already. I refuse to be insulted and I demand your respect. I am not in any way going to exchange ill-words with you cos apparently you are not well-cultured, and not well-lettered. My points are very very clear. Lagos state government have right to demolish, but should provide alternative for the poor who have no where else to go. There is no society without the poor, but the poor have rights to life and decent living courtesy of the government. Even when the poor has nothing, they have thumps and they voted.

Thank you
Some people refuse to see except through tribal and hero worship lenses
The reason why that nation can never move forward
For every thief there are a group of asho ebi wearing praise singers

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 1:49am On Mar 04, 2013
Corrected the mistakes I made in my post - still waiting for your reply, billionaire... wink
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 1:50am On Mar 04, 2013
Neo-XVI:

Much as I wish and hope that this turns out to be true, it just seems like it won't be. Did they tell that to those folks? Did they document those that lived there before the demolition? Did they get their forwarding address or tell them who to go and meet in due time to make their claim for getting a housing unit when it is completed? Did they tell them when these new units will get completed?

From the story of how the place was demolished and the subsequent press conference, it doesn't look like there's a yes for any of these questions.
Dont buy that story my brother. Fashola has been widely criticized for the demolition so they started making those vain promises to save a face. It has always been a strategy of this government to chase away the poor and share the plots of lands. Unfortunately many people do not see whats going on clearly cos of sentiments. If there was such provision, then those poor people sleeping under the harsh weather with their babies would have been informed prior to demolition. The poor people in Lagos have been continuously r/a/p/e/d and bastardized by successive governors.

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 1:55am On Mar 04, 2013
Billyonaire: Dont buy that story my brother. Fashola has been widely criticized for the demolition so they started making those vain promises to save a face. It has always been a strategy of this government to chase away the poor and share the plots of lands. Unfortunately many people do not see whats going on clearly cos of sentiments. If there was such provision, then those poor people sleeping under the harsh weather with their babies would have been informed prior to demolition. The poor people in Lagos have been continuously r/a/p/e/d and bastardized by successive governors.

@the bolded - if that's the case, why do they keep trooping to Lagos London has been raping people for eons, that's why no one is moving to London from within the UK... Heck, Londoners are the ones moving outside London... So, why do Nigerians continue to a place where they have been "continuously ra.ped"(using your words)?? It shows there is something wrong with the average Nigerian's thought process...
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 1:56am On Mar 04, 2013
Billyonaire: Actually, I am not understanding what you mean by 'It is time many start returning to their states of origin if they don't have anything meaningful doing in Lagos." Is this a grand plan to that effect ? Is Fashola acting a deployment script ? My understandings are from the people I interacted with, mostly yoruba Lagosians who are indigenous. Forgive me if there is a grand plan to send Nigerians from Republic of Lagos.
There is reason why other states exist for the state government to meet their needs according to federal allocations. I don't have much idea about the people who are being driven out of the land. I am speaking from the perspective of the condition of Lagos state being turned into a city of filth. Something needs to be done to prevent future disasters. The truth be told the state can not take care of the teeming population. It is way too big for the resources.

I hope you are getting where are am aiming at.

Please, I would like you to post information about these people and how they are entitled to these plots of land.

Thank you.
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 1:56am On Mar 04, 2013
shymexx:

Ok, let me indulge and see what you've got...

Firstly, the people displaced were living there illegally - so was it justified, or not??

Secondly, Fashola represents Lagosians and not Nigerians - so why should he provide alternative for those among who're not indigenous to Lagos(bear in mind that poor people don't pay taxes to the state)

Lastly, who isn't responsible for poor Nigerians(note, I said Nigerians not Lagosians) - Fashola or the FG??

Illegal by whose declaration
How does one live illegally for 40 years or more on a land?
Even in law,if a landlord fails to demand rent from a tenant after a certain number of years,the law takes that to be the new agreement,that the tenant can live for free

Well I forget we are talking about Nigeria where anything goes
If Fashola ,a lawyer by training can bundle a Yoruba man and an Akwa Ibom indigene and deport them to Onitsha bridgehead and round up northerners or northern looking folks and dump them at the outskirts of Nassarawa,he can pretty much do as he wishes.
He is in the right country to do such
Here in the States he and his thugs would have been charged with kidnapping ,assault,unlawful imprisonment amongst other crime

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 1:58am On Mar 04, 2013
shymexx:

@the bolded - if that's the case, why do they keep trooping to Lagos London has been raping people for eons, that's why no one is moving to London from within the UK... Heck, Londoners are the ones moving outside London... So, why do Nigerians continue to a place where they have been "continuously ra.ped"(using your words)?? It shows there is something wrong with the average Nigerian's thought process...
I am not ethnically inclined in my assertions, if you are ethnic then you and I are not of the same class. Nigeria is one country, ethnicity must be stopped by all intelligent Nigerians. Are you one ?

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by babapupa: 2:00am On Mar 04, 2013
Neo-XVI:

Much as I wish and hope that this turns out to be true, it just seems like it won't be. Did they tell that to those folks? Did they document those that lived there before the demolition? Did they get their forwarding address or tell them who to go and meet in due time to make their claim for getting a housing unit when it is completed? Did they tell them when these new units will get completed?

From the story of how the place was demolished and the subsequent press conference, it doesn't look like there's a yes for any of these questions.

1. You did not fully read and comprehend the article you posted.

2. You intentionally omitted parts of the story from the article you posted and based your argument on your own deceptions.

Now that you are being confronted with facts and your deceptions, you are still asking irrelevant questions.

You have your bogus issues with the Lagos state government that's based on ignorance and deception and by asking the highlighted questions, it is obvious that it doesn't matter what they do, you are still going to complain and b1tch regardless.
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 2:01am On Mar 04, 2013
babyosisi:
Illegal by whose declaration
How does one live illegally for 40 years or more on a land?
Even in law,if a landlord fails to demand rent from a tenant after a certain number of years,the law takes that to be the new agreement,that the tenant can live for free

Do these people have C of O According to the Land Use Act of Lagos State, the government owns all the lands in the state - and the fact that these people do not have a C of O, they have no case... End of story!!

Well I forget we are talking about Nigeria where anything goes
If Fashola ,a lawyer y training can bundle a Yoruba man and an Akwa Ibom indigene and deport them to Onitsha bridgehead and round up northerners or northern looking olks and dump them at the outskirts of Nassarawa,he can pretty much do as he wishes
He is in the right country to do such

Why should they be in state causing nuisance and building shanty homes, if they have nothing to do there in the first place The Pikeys and their caravans were kicked out of Essex in the UK a couple of years ago because of the same thing - and most them are Britons... It happens everywhere in the world!!
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 2:01am On Mar 04, 2013
shymexx:

[size=18pt]The inhabitants of makoko are native to the land they were evicted from
Their grandfathers and great grand lived there
where do you suggest they go?[/size]

Most of you making noise ,your own parents came from Ogun and Osun and Ondo etc
Stop this elitist nonsense
There are only a handful of native Lagosians and they are the only ones authorized to say these things and if they did most of you ought to move back to your villages where your fathers came from.

No one is stopping anyone from moving to London so quit the lies
Nobody is being deported out of London either ,neither are mothers and children thrown out into the streets after their homes are demolished
Stop comparing apples to oranges

4 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by babapupa: 2:02am On Mar 04, 2013
Billyonaire: You can do that at your spare time. I am a very busy person.

Thanks for admitting that you know nothing and only pulled that olodo info out of your assss. Try not to spew hat you can not support with facts.
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 2:03am On Mar 04, 2013
all4naija: There is reason why other states exist for the state government to meet their needs according to federal allocations. I don't have much idea about the people who are being driven out of the land. I am speaking from the perspective of the condition of Lagos state being turned into a city of filth. Something needs to be done to prevent future disasters. The truth be told the state can not take care of the teeming population. It is way too big for the resources.

I hope you are getting where are am aiming at.

Please, I would like you to post information about these people and how they are entitled to these plots of land.

Thank you.
We are saying the same thing except that you are placing emphasis on legality and ownership over human sympathy. These people deserve an alternative living place, a decent one, this is just the most basic need of life, something a government that took down their house has not provided. If the government can not provide them that, then goes ahead to pull their roofs away from their heads, what do you call such government ? I can it Anti-Poor, and I have said that Fashola is anti-poor and I have no apologies for that.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 2:03am On Mar 04, 2013
Billyonaire: I am not ethnically inclined in my assertions, if you are ethnic then you and I are not of the same class. Nigeria is one country, ethnicity must be stopped by all intelligent Nigerians. Are you one ?
I do not agree with this point as relating it to the demolition. Who would take care of influx of citizens from another state with federal allocations been given to their government to fix the infrastructure. We are not talking about those who have something meaningful doing but those who are constituting nuisance to the place by turning it into a mountain of squalor. Lagos city is already addressed as 'Mega Slum' if you don't know. Something needs to be done to arrest the filthy condition of the city.
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 2:04am On Mar 04, 2013
babapupa:

Thanks for admitting that you know nothing and only pulled that olodo info out of your assss. Try not to spew hat you can not support with facts.
I am sorry, whats the meaning of olodo, can you type English. I am pretty much well-lettered in English.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 2:05am On Mar 04, 2013
Billyonaire: We are saying the same thing except that you are placing emphasis on legality and ownership over human sympathy. These people deserve an alternative living place, a decent one, this is just the most basic need of life, something a government that took down their house has not provided. If the government can not provide them that, then goes ahead to pull their roofs away from their heads, what do you call such government ? I can it Anti-Poor, and I have said that Fashola is anti-poor and I have no apologies for that.
Okay. Can you,please, provide information about these people and how they are entitled to these plots of land?
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 2:06am On Mar 04, 2013
Billyonaire: I am not ethnically inclined in my assertions, if you are ethnic then you and I are not of the same class. Nigeria is one country, ethnicity must be stopped by all intelligent Nigerians. Are you one ?

Why are you trying to shift the goal post to another topic entirely?? You still haven't answered my questions, though...

Nigeria isn't "ethnically inclined" - yet I'm yet to see an Igbo man elected as the governor of Sokoto; a Yoruba man as the governor of Cross Rivers, a Fulani man as the governor of Ogun, an Edo man as the governor of Anambra etc.. Heck, the presidency is still done by rotation among the various ethnic groups - Yoruba president, Ijaw president, Hausa president etc... Igbos are now saying it's their turn - yet in your warped mind, the country isn't 'ethnically inclined', no?? undecided

I debate based on what's attainable in the country - Nigeria/Lagos is the topic in discourse

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by babapupa: 2:07am On Mar 04, 2013
Billyonaire: I am sorry, whats the meaning of olodo, can you type English. I am pretty much well-lettered in English.

Olodo = You don't know anything = Ignorant= Lack of knowledge.
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 2:09am On Mar 04, 2013
babyosisi:
The inhabitants of makoko are native to the land they were evicted from
Their grandfathers and great grand lived there
So where did those ones troop from and where do you suggest they go?

Most of you making noise ,your own parents came from Ogun and Osun etc
Stop this nonsense

Where the heck is "Makoko?" And how's Makoko relevant here??

Yeah, my ancestors came from China to settle in Lagos - my last name is Lee Xi Ping, are you happy now??

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 2:11am On Mar 04, 2013
shymexx:

Yeah, my ancestors came from China to settle in Lagos - my last name is Lee Xi Ping, are you happy now??

Obviously you have a one track mind if u fail to see the connection
Kpele

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 2:12am On Mar 04, 2013
Babyosisi

This is my brother - you wanna learn chinese?? grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB9ShKka_v4
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 2:13am On Mar 04, 2013
babyosisi:

Obviously you have a one track mind if u fail to see the connection
Kpele

What connection are you talking about??

I'm lost - someone please help me out...
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by NeoXVI: 2:14am On Mar 04, 2013
babapupa:

1. You did not fully read and comprehend the article you posted.

2. You intentionally omitted parts of the story from the article you posted and based your argument on your own deceptions.

Now that you are being confronted with facts and your deceptions, you are still asking irrelevant questions.

You have your bogus issues with the Lagos state government that's based on ignorance and deception and by asking the highlighted questions, it is obvious that it doesn't matter what they do, you are still going to complain and b1tch regardless.

How dumb can you be? You come with a claim that Fashola said this and that and expect me to believe without asking questions? If you are a sheep, please don't assume we all are. That is the reason the country is so messed up, cos no one ask questions. How can you claim Fashola said they will build a thousand housing units for those folks, meanwhile they demolished their houses without even documenting those that lived there in the first place. I'm supposed to believe that? So when the houses are completed, how will government know the people that lived there before without any documentation? Can you now see how dumb you are?

If there's documentation, tell me there's one. If not, please stop quoting me if you have nothing sensible to say.
I posted the link to the full story and stated that clearly. It was too long to post here. Sorry, I'm not a government azzlicker.

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by babapupa: 2:14am On Mar 04, 2013
shymexx:

lmao..
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 2:14am On Mar 04, 2013
all4naija: I do not agree with this point as relating it to the demolition. Who would take care of influx of citizens from another state with federal allocations been given to their government to fix the infrastructure. We are not talking about those who have something meaningful doing but those who are constituting nuisance to the place by turning it into a mountain of squalor. Lagos city is already addressed as 'Mega Slum' if you don't know. Something needs to be done to arrest the filthy condition of the city.
It is hypocrisy not to accommodate Nigerians from other states in Lagos. I am not Lagosian, will probably not be one for life, but I live and own properties in my part of Lagos, and I doubt if I will be sent packing cos I am not Lagosian. Does it mean Lagos State accommodates only the rich persons from other states and sends away the poor? That's on one side. Secondly, there is no provision in the constitution that segregates persons from one states from residing in other states, so its constitutionally wrong for you to say that. Thirdly, when you say Lagos state receive allocation from the Feds, do you care to know if the non-indegenes are from the states that produce much of the resources that funds are accrued for which Lagos State gets monthly allocation? It is imprudent in today's Nigeria for anyone to think so dangerously. But then the persons that are sent packing are largely yoruba and have intermarried.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 2:14am On Mar 04, 2013
shymexx:

What connection are you talking about??

I'm lost - someone please help me out...

No wonder billionaire has been trying to get through
Sorry
I don't teach pre K wink

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 2:15am On Mar 04, 2013
I'm out - got money to make during the "rush hour."

Lagos is home - Epe is where the ancestry is at... cool
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 2:15am On Mar 04, 2013
babapupa:

Olodo = You don't know anything = Ignorant= Lack of knowledge.
Okay, I understand now. Please stick to English always. I am not Yoruba.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 2:16am On Mar 04, 2013
shymexx: I'm out - got money to make during the "rush hour."

Lagos is home - Epe is the ancestry... cool

And there are no slums in epe inhabited by people like you?
Do u get it now?

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 2:17am On Mar 04, 2013
shymexx:

Why are you trying to shift the goal post to another topic entirely?? You still haven't answered my questions, though...

Nigeria isn't "ethnically inclined" - yet I'm yet to see an Igbo man elected as the governor of Sokoto; a Yoruba man as the governor of Cross Rivers, a Fulani man as the governor of Ogun, an Edo man as the governor of Anambra etc.. Heck, the presidency is still done by rotation among the various ethnic groups - Yoruba president, Ijaw president, Hausa president etc... Igbos are now saying it's their turn - yet in your warped mind, the country isn't 'ethnically inclined', no?? undecided

I debate based on what's attainable in the country - Nigeria/Lagos is the topic in discourse
Please do not derail this thread, we are discussing Man's Inhumanity against fellow humans.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 2:20am On Mar 04, 2013
Some persons across various villages in Nigeria think Lagos is another America or London in Nigeria, where the streets are paved with gold. Those of us living and doing business in Lagos, know that there are some streets in the state that are littered with warts.

Yes, there are mega areas like Lekki, Victoria Island, Ikoyi and others, where the high and mighty in our society either live or run their businesses.

[size=28pt]Truth is that these so-called mega areas where ones slums like parts of Alimosho, Epe, Ijora- Olopa, Mushin, etc.[/size]

http://www.nigeriawebsuccess.com/investment-land.html

So where do the natives in those areas go to when Fashola decides to demolish their slum homes that the family has occupied for generations
Do you get it now @ shymexx?

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 2:20am On Mar 04, 2013
They were flogging me,” said Charity Julius, 27 and pregnant. She said she ran into her dwelling to fetch her baby boy, and once he was safely out, she ran back to gather as many possessions as she could. The police did not like that and beat her, she said, showing a bruise on her right arm as evidence.
Multimedia

The Lagos state commissioner for housing, Adedeji Olatubosun Jeje, provided a different version of events.

“It’s a regeneration of a slum,” he said. “We gave enough notification. The government intends to develop 1,008 housing units. What we removed was just shanties. Nobody was even living in those shanties. Maybe we had a couple of squatters living there.”

As for the new housing, “there’s not a chance they can afford it,” said Felix Morka, executive director of the Social and Economic Rights Action Center, a local economic rights group, adding that Badia residents earn under $100 a month on average. The World Bank had previously included Badia on a list of slum communities for upgrade, Mr. Morka noted.

That list is now moot. Within six hours, Badia East was gone.

“We don’t have anywhere to stay,” said Joy Austin, a mother of three. “Everybody is outside now. We don’t have anywhere to go.”

Her sleeping accommodation is now a filthy foam mattress placed on cardboard, in the mud; her children sleep under low torn mosquito nets.

A wig pokes out of the rubble; nearby are a few bras, a child’s toy gun, some CDs, a torn shirt, a crushed shampoo bottle, and some flip-flops. At the edge of the rubble-field, small boys played makeshift table tennis on two boards placed atop jerrycans while a young man pushed a wheelbarrow of salvaged wood with a small Nigerian flag tied to it. In the evening, boys who clambered barefoot over the upturned, nail-studded boards received painful wounds.

Mr. Morka, a Harvard-trained lawyer who is challenging the state government in court over the demolitions, said: “They want a Lagos that looks good, that feels good, that glitters. But they are well aware that Lagos is Lagos because of the people that live here. They are doing this without regard for the people who live here.”

That sentiment — that the government had, bewilderingly, declared open season on its own people — permeated the Badia residents.

“I don’t know the reason why they do all this,” said Ms. Austin, as other residents crowded around. “I don’t know why they break everything. We don’t expect it, now. People were still sleeping. We didn’t pack up anything.”

Mr. Aiyenuro, a security guard who said he had built his house himself, said: “We had thousands of people living here. Now, everything is destroyed.”

Nobody said they were leaving the area. “There’s a misguided belief that if you demolish the slum, they will just go back to the village,” said Megan Chapman, an American lawyer who works with Mr. Morka. “It’s completely untrue. They don’t just disappear.”

Here and there, hot anger at the governor, Mr. Fashola, flashed out of the crowd.

“We’re not criminals!” shouted Peter Patersoa, a 39-year-old bricklayer and father of a one-month-old. “Fashola is doing wrong work! He’s not doing good in Lagos State.”

Another crowd gathered. “We are hoping in God to favor us,” Mr. Aiyenuro said. “Please, we are suffering.”

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (17) (Reply)

Five States Meet Conditions For N90Billion Federal Bailout / Nigerians Vent Frustrations Against President Buhari - CNN / How Buhari’s Emissaries Met Sowore In Detention - Premium Times

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.