Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,508 members, 7,816,230 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:03 AM

Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless (46917 Views)

Fatal Auto Crash In Lagos Leaving Six Dead / Picture Of Slums In The Usa / Eye On Lagos - Emergency Services. Is Lagos Leaving Nigeria Behind? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Maxymilliano(m): 11:06pm On Mar 03, 2013
samm_miey: Fashola is working,Lagosians are suffering!wot an irony

More like eradicating the poor instead of eradicating poverty... smiley

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 11:06pm On Mar 03, 2013
Sad....

However, the state definitely needs this to be able to achieve its megacity dreams... But those of them who are from Lagos should be given shelter and those who aren't from Lagos should be asked to return to their home states...

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by SELFWORTH: 11:07pm On Mar 03, 2013
Neo-XVI:
It's a good thing to have an ambitious governor that wants to develop lagos fast, but it shouldn't be done on the backs of the poor. Leadership should have a human face.

Thank u.

This is the worst thing about Fashola. You destroy other people's homes without care for where they are supposed to go. He goes home to bed but where should these people go?

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by ichidodo: 11:08pm On Mar 03, 2013
indianin9ja: As an Indian living and working in Nigeria. I observe that the trouble with Nigeria is there are too many Nigerians, just like India. This is especially the case with Lagos. So, well done, Governor Fashola. I wish you and Lagos State success in evicting these people who are overcrowding and ruining the once-pleasant city of Lagos.
COME INDIAN MAN, WHY DONT U MIND URE BUSINNESS. THE BIZNES THAT INVOLVES EXPLOITATION AND SUBJECTIN PEOPLE THROUGH INHUMAN WORKIN CONDITIONS. DONT LET ME DEAL WIT U THIS NITE.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by AZeD1(m): 11:09pm On Mar 03, 2013
Neo-XVI:

Lol. How naive. The last person you should believe in a case of an injustice perpetrated by government is an official working for that same government. What did you expect him to say? Listen to the press conference by SERAP instead. Listen to the victims. Then make your judgement.
Meanwhile, I did provide the link for the rest of the story. It was too long to post.
I'm not saying i believe what the commissioner said, i just pointed that you left out the commissioner's side of the story. This is Nigeria, people don't heed to quit notices so the commissioner might be telling the truth and he might be lying.

When reporting, don't leave any side out.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by emiye(m): 11:10pm On Mar 03, 2013
kross_01:
& now you expect me to believe the govt's side of the story cos they've suddenly turned saints ryt? What an irony!
My point is simple, God forbid i was part of the displaced, i will most likely never allude to the fact that i was given a long quit notice. If i make that mistake, HOW WILL I GAIN PUBLIC SYMPATHY ?.

In this case, i believe the Government more than the displaced.

I put it to you that no matter how long the quit notice, only few will have left till the bulldozer comes, i understand the psyche of an average nigerian.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by chibykluda1: 11:12pm On Mar 03, 2013
fashola is like Mancini of manchester city
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by AZeD1(m): 11:14pm On Mar 03, 2013
SELFWORTH:

Thank u.

This is the worst thing about Fashola. You destroy other people's homes without care for where they are supposed to go. He goes home to bed but where should these people go?

If they where giving quit notices, then the Governor did the right thing. Nigerians should learn to put sentiments aside. People build houses everyday in Nigeria without proper planning, if they get demolished, everybody says the Government is wicked.

Nigerians should learn to do the right thing.
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by indianin9ja(m): 11:14pm On Mar 03, 2013
ichidodo: COME INDIAN MAN, WHY DONT U MIND URE BUSINNESS. THE BIZNES THAT INVOLVES EXPLOITATION AND SUBJECTIN PEOPLE THROUGH INHUMAN WORKIN CONDITIONS. DONT LET ME DEAL WIT U THIS NITE.

I don't appreciate your stereotype and racial hatred. I've adopted Nigeria as my home. This is the land where I'm raising my children, and where my family will settle, so it is obviously my business.

I treat my workers, Nigerian or Indian, with respect appropriate for any human being, far better than the average employer here in Nigeria.

Don't act all tough with me, other people who have messed with me in the past have learned to regret it. Get lost, you scumm!

5 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by talktimi(m): 11:14pm On Mar 03, 2013
I governor Bobotunda Roja Shofala am tired of poor, slum dwelling nonentities in Logas state and I am determined to pursue all of una from here. If una like, vex die.
It is well noted that the fed govt allocated this land to the present settlers way back in the 70's when the national theatre was about to be built but wetin concern me ? Na una wahala be that. All poor slum dwellers in Logas state should relocate back to their respective states & villages. Even if you are from Logas state, you better go and find another state to adopt you. I need your land for omo onile purposes when I leave office. Once again, if una no like am, then die.
All idiots talking about prior warnings here dey make me vex, if I give prior warning, how do I get to destroy valuable property & documents when I send in my agbero & other area boys ? Una mumu o.
I have sent my favorite house boy & puppy dog (you all know him on nairaland) to insult any dissenting view and the viewer. He is a very hard working boy to me so accord him all respect as you are insulted if not I go vex demolish victory island as a whole. I am always right, always intelligent and always sophisticated. You all are stoopid villagers ruled by a "retardeen" president so una no go fit try me sef. tongue

4 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by infolekan(m): 11:15pm On Mar 03, 2013
Neo-XVI:

Since when? Quit telling me about Republican-Democrat politics. Democrats have won 5 of the last 6 presidential elections. Bush's win in 2000 was inspite of losing the popular vote, and to this day majority of Americans still think he shouldn't have been president. The popularity of the republican party is at an all time low.
Let me be clear, there is nothing wrong with wanting a more humane place for these guys. Nothing wrong! Where it is wrong and indefensible is leveling their shanties without prior notice, and without providing alternatives for them or compensating those who had to lived there cos they were chased out of the national theater area originally. The feds got the place and moved them there. What do they do now? No government in the western world, no matter how noble their intent would do that to its citizens. NONE. Why? It is indefensible.
These shacks can hardly house my dog not to talk of a human being.
Dint see any of the "indigenes" coming out to tell us that they're the original landowners...all I'm hearing is quit notice & all sorts like they dint have any inkling that this was going to happen.
Govt doesn't just wake up one day & decide to level a place but trust Nigerians...they'll keep hoping its just a tale until the reality actually kicks in and they'll now be talking of human rights & all.
Council houses in the places you mentioned go hand in hand with unemployment benefits and was started over 100 years ago initially by the FED GOVT and later taken over by the district councils.
There are over 36 states in Nigeria. Not everyone can live in Lagos or a state capital. They'll still have to make way eventually for development and someone can't sit down in his house in Osogbo & be talking about human rights in Lagos slums where there are no laws to start with.
The only way a positive change will be made in Lagos is thru an iron hand.
The closing down of Ladipo is an example....the traders are more interested in how much they're losing than in cleaning up the place to make it habitable. And we will still e comparing ourselves to the whites smh
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by kross01(m): 11:16pm On Mar 03, 2013
emiye: My point is simple, God forbid i was part of the displaced, i will most likely never allude to the fact that i was given a long quit notice. If i make that mistake, HOW WILL I GAIN PUBLIC SYMPATHY ?.

In this case, i believe the Government more than the displaced.

I put it to you that no matter how long the quit notice, only few will have left till the bulldozer comes, i understand the psyche of an average nigerian.
And you think a yung graduate who just got admission to go do his masters in sweden knew all dt & left his whole documents @ home for the demolition crew right? Cut those guys some slack men.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by omamurhomu(f): 11:18pm On Mar 03, 2013
[b][/b] angryFashola don dey wicked o!

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by SELFWORTH: 11:18pm On Mar 03, 2013
Elueme: Fashola is gradually sliding into running a government that excludes the poor but every society cannot be aristocratic and fortunate as him and his god father Tinubu. The poor has a right to live just like Fashola or another person. This madness should stop now!
For his ass lickers on NL, it's now you believe that sacrifices need be made to reposition society but you never shared this view as regards fuel subsidy. Your hypocrisy is limitless.

Don't mind them.

A governor without a heart. He is able to enforce this draconian rules becos it doesn't affect him.

Must Lagos become like London overnight? All the cities of the world he is trying to emulate did not do it all in a day. They certainly didn't treat their poor like animals. After the war, London was worse than Lagos. Same for New York.

His actions are always towards the poor. He is a governor without compassion . I don't know why anyone will want to vote for him in 2015. He is a small Abacha in the making.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by pomporiking: 11:19pm On Mar 03, 2013
El rufai did it and they played the poverty card they always play but now see what abuja has become.the same hypocrites criticising fashola now need to wake up and realise it has to be done.see oshodi mushin and other parts of lagos tell me you prefer the way it was back then and what it is now
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by teetee123: 11:23pm On Mar 03, 2013
kross_01:
From the much i've gathered, there were no alternatives given to them nor relocation, neither were they given prior notice b4 the demolition which is my point. That is why the group SERAP(not sure i got the name right) is suing d govt on their behalf.i actually saw the group's press briefing on channels y'day.

It is a pity that the demolition have to happen. I don't want to believe that this people were never given notice.
Sentiments apart:

1. Is there any legal documents for those structures
2. Is the place fit for leaving

If you are occupying a place illegally, you should not expect government to provide alternative for you. However, government and private sector should endeavour to provide affordable accommodation for all.
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 11:24pm On Mar 03, 2013
SELFWORTH:

Don't mind them.

A governor without a heart. He is able to enforce this draconian rules becos it doesn't affect him.

Must Lagos become like London overnight? His actions are always towards the poor. He is a governor without compassion .
This is not an excuse to remain filthy!
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by AceVentura: 11:24pm On Mar 03, 2013
There's something called "Collateral Damage". It simply means that some people have to be wronged for other things to go well.

As unfortunate as some of us think it is, I used to live on the mainland & u get to see illegal shacks here & there. The bad thing is that the inhabitants get to bury juju stuff in the land so that the property owners won't make enuf money to develop the land thereby give them ample time to stay there. It's actually the level of darkness they've sunk into.

As for the Badia people, the govt who r the real owners of the land decided to take back their land. You guys just have to live with it & make arrangement to live in somewhat decent environs dt won't attract them. God help u as u move on.
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 11:27pm On Mar 03, 2013
indianin9ja:
I don't appreciate your stereotype and racial hatred. I've adopted Nigeria as my home. This is the land where I'm raising my children, and where my family will settle, so it is obviously my business.

I treat my workers, Nigerian or Indian, with respect appropriate for any human being, far better than the average employer here in Nigeria.

Don't act all tough with me, other people who have messed with me in the past have learned to regret it. Get lost, you scumm!

How much do you make in Nigeria and do you pay your taxes

I don't have a problem with Indians living in Nigeria, put I'm tired of seeing people of lighter shades getting a pass in that country because of the colour of their skin... The Lebanese people stay making billions from that country without giving anything back - and the Europeans have been doing that since time immemorial...

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by emiye(m): 11:28pm On Mar 03, 2013
kross_01:
And you think a yung graduate who just got admission to go do his masters in sweden knew all dt & left his whole documents @ home for the demolition crew right? Cut those guys some slack men.

I can see through all the schemes.

When a flood or fire incident happens in a neighbourhood, someone with a two bedroom flat can claim to have lost one billion naira.

When things like this happens, the displaced use all sort of means to gain public sympathy.

When shit happens, people come up with several ridiculous claims, more often than not to gain sympathy, there might be some genuine ones though.

You need to look at this issues more logically as painful as it might be.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Boss13: 11:29pm On Mar 03, 2013
I hear the residency status will commence by April in Lagos. A welcome development. A city must grow, it is either growing or dying. Lagos was dying for a long time and now it intends to grow. People can we give change a chance.
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 11:30pm On Mar 03, 2013
The next step should be how to reduce the population of Lagos by at least 30%...

It's not just about the poor, some of the rich folks from other states also need to move to their respective states and invest their money there...

Lagos is too crowded, to be honest...
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by dapotemi: 11:30pm On Mar 03, 2013
Most of d comment here is jus unfortunate.It shows dat most pple here are jus anoda emotional loser.In evry govt policies,PEOPLE will alwys be affected.You want Nig to be lik Dubai,New York,London etc,YET,you want dos slums to continue,you wants govt to allow pple to continue to live in slums,yet you admire wat you see or hear abt Dubai.Develpment start somewhere.Secondly,it is a BIG LIE for anybody to say dat they were nt given eviction notice,its does'nt make sense,Fashola is a lawyer nd he wont do such tins.Jus ask ursef,wat wil d govt loose by givin dem notice?Absolutely nothing.If you must put up a defence,use FACTS.Whenever there is demolition,av you ever heard pple say they were givin notice,NO they wont say dat,its d norm,its a way of holding govt to ransom.They were put on notice several times.Lagos needs a metro line for network,if dis must hapen,many must cry for their houses,yet,dis day must COME or we pay more.Ask Google,we praise brazil for its development,as i type,pple are stil askin for compensation for being displaced.You wil travel nd you wil say,"Why cant we av dis at home",but having "this" at home will always come at a cost.We luv beautiful cities,yet,we want to hold tenaciously to our slums.Nigerians luv Dubai,i hope you knw dat pple were displaced to build dat city.Pls ask Google for facts on dat.We must accept d reality of pain for gain,or we stay doomed to underdevelopment.Displacement are thorny nd costly but if we can endure it,its brings develpment.When i ws growing up,Lekki was a slum,worst dan ajegunle or ijora badia,but look at lekki today.Remember,som pple paid dat price den,If dos pple can luk back and see Lekki today,am sure they will be happy.We make it luk lik we are bunch of incapable pple.When we can dos pple lik Fashola who can change d status quo,we bad mouth their efforts.WE CANNOT SACRIFICE DEVELOPMENT,TRUTH AND FACTS,on the altar of SENTIMENT,NONSENSICAL PATRIOTISM.I will only advise fashola to work more on "Communication",most especially when it concerns d poor.If ure doin somtyn great,pple must KNOW it or be aware of it b4 they will/can see it.Development no be beans and cake.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 11:31pm On Mar 03, 2013
indianin9ja:

You just have to ignore many shiits some people say to you here. They don't represent the large number of good Nigerians out there.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by infolekan(m): 11:32pm On Mar 03, 2013
kross_01:
The part you're missing is the average nigerians mentality to change. We hardly believe the govt would work. Where would he pack the certificate to if given quit notice? He would rather believe its one of those tales and go about his normal business hoping it would just disappear. For how long did you hear about the intended closure of Ladipo? And what happened eventually?
Let's be rational about these things....someone somewhere must have known these was going to happen & if you dig deep enough...they would all know but just sit in with the typical Naija mentality hoping against all hope that it won't see the light of the day & then turn around when the sh**t hits the fan claiming to have lost a Fabrege egg in the demolition & the C of O of their plot in Banana island.
And the truth is the truth...there are too many people suffering under the guise of living the 'city life' and resisting the help and deliverance from poverty. Theydont need to go back to their state or any village(some of them might even be Lagosian)...they just need to find a smaller town or village where palm oil are made directly from palm trees and people make soup with ingredients from their backyards and canned foods sounds like Alladins tale. And where they can improve their life and the country and even impact on the whole world just by exchanging air with trees and natures & all that shyte***
**drops my iphone5 & picks my glass of XO & wait for any troll to counter me so I can start off again**

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by hollandis(f): 11:32pm On Mar 03, 2013
indianin9ja:

GOD PUNISSHH YOU. USELESS THING
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by SELFWORTH: 11:32pm On Mar 03, 2013
Maxymilliano:

More like eradicating the poor instead of eradicating poverty... smiley

True talk!

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by emmatok(m): 11:33pm On Mar 03, 2013
shy-mmex:
Sad....

However, the state definitely needs this to be able to achieve its megacity dreams... But those of them who are from Lagos should be given shelter and those who aren't from Lagos should be asked to return to their home states...

We can't separate Lagos from Nigeria.
We live in a poverty ridden country and Lagos is included.

Magacity project is just a pipedream.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by hollandis(f): 11:33pm On Mar 03, 2013
all4naija: You just have to ignore many shiits some people say to you here. They don't represent the large number of good Nigerians out there.

USELESS ARS.E LICKER.I HATE TOO MANY PEOPLE IN THIS COUNTRY NOWADAYS
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by TheBookWorm: 11:34pm On Mar 03, 2013
Maybe I am just a bleeding heart liberal in the American sense, but a nation will always be judged by how it treats its most vulnerable citizens.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by platinum131(m): 11:34pm On Mar 03, 2013
Neo-XVI:

How dumb and insensitive. They are the homeless you see around. They are the beggars at your window during traffic jams. They are the people living under bridges, hawking pure water that make you wonder how they are even able to feed with such meager earnings. You people seem to think that these guys had a choice but chose to build shanties in mosquito infested areas BECAUSE THEY LIKE IT. You also seem to forget that life moves in circles. You may be up today in your cozy houses and cars being insensitive to the poor and downtrodden, but it may not last forever. You may need help tomorrow and may receive the same treatment you hand out to these poor folks. It is people with your warped logic that we've been unfortunate to have as leaders that have brought this great country to her knees. A society is judged by how it treats its poor and helpless, and right now we are in a bad place.

Right on point bro.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

How Chibokgirl, Serah Luka, Was Rescued — Nigerian Army / Mad Man Blasts Okorocha In Owerri, Says 'PDP Is Taking Over' (Video, Photos) / Five States Meet Conditions For N90Billion Federal Bailout

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.