Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,625 members, 7,816,573 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:19 PM

Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless (46920 Views)

Fatal Auto Crash In Lagos Leaving Six Dead / Picture Of Slums In The Usa / Eye On Lagos - Emergency Services. Is Lagos Leaving Nigeria Behind? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Boss13: 11:34pm On Mar 03, 2013
shy-mmex:

How much do you make in Nigeria and do you pay your taxes

I don't have a problem with Indians living in Nigeria, put I'm tired of seeing people of lighter shades getting a pass in that country because of the colour of their skin... The Lebanese people stay making billions from that country without giving anything back - and the Europeans have been doing that since time immemorial...

Oga India please I am not stereotyping but at this point I have to agree to this. Indians in Nigeria do not pay taxes, they are always making loss for 20 years they keep making loss. Why not close down operations. No they prefer to pay little or no tax at all. Also, we hear of the inhumane treatment perpetrated by Indians and Lebanese on their Nigerian employees. You might be different but these things occur.
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 11:35pm On Mar 03, 2013
hollandis:

GOD PUNISSHH YOU. USELESS THING

You don't need to abuse him - there are thousands of Nigerians living in India as well...

Heck, their football league has a lot of Nigerians...
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by snowprince01(m): 11:36pm On Mar 03, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
I hope you watched the Olympics in London on your screen and you probably was shouting high heaven when Usain bolt bolted away in that final? Do you know how many people were evicted for that Olympic park to be built? Those that couldn't meet the compensation requirement were relocated soonest to much less desirable place because the government wanted to rejuvenate that part of East London using the Olympic as a trigger.

Can I ask you a simple question? Was alternative made for those evicted or not? When did the state government first serves them notice of eviction? If none, why did they not go to court to sue the government? At least Fashola has shown He. Obeys court orders. Please answer those questions....
B4 u talk get facts and stop all dis if he did or did not, dats a very foolish way for some1 trying to make sense to speak, u wil end up confusing ur self. To write post no b by force. Get ur facts right cos we aint dumb asses here

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by slimfit1(m): 11:36pm On Mar 03, 2013
kross_01:
If you've bn to these places u mentioned, u'ld knw they all have their bad portions. What may pass for a shack in their area, myt b ok to us. Someone earlier in this thread talked about the location used for one of the olympic games being a slum b4 d gvt acquired it for tthat purpose but they wia well taken care of. They were given alternatives, they were not chased out of there with squads of mobile policemen.

I no that area well oh the land was mostly govt owned and gypsys' where living in caravans it's very unlikely to get compensated while you are living and occupying and illegal site.
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by SELFWORTH: 11:36pm On Mar 03, 2013
all4naija: This is not an excuse to remain filthy!

Filt is everywhere in Nigeria and all other countries of the world. It's ignorant to think you can rid yourself or any country of filt by getting rid of poor people.

Please remember you don't know what tommorow holds for you. Today you are comfortable and its easy to condemn the poor and call them filt . Tommorow for you may be worse.....

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by hollandis(f): 11:36pm On Mar 03, 2013
shy-mmex:

You don't need to abuse him - there are thousands of Nigerians living in India as well...

Heck, their football league has a lot of Nigerians...

I am just waiting for seun to ban me .This website is full of lies .I hate it.It is a political strategy

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 11:37pm On Mar 03, 2013
hollandis:

GOD PUNISSHH YOU. USELESS THING
Primitive man!

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by trolling(m): 11:38pm On Mar 03, 2013
hollandis:

I am just waiting for seun to ban me .This website is full of lies .I hate it.It is a political strategy
na so e enter yr body chai
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by easysan: 11:38pm On Mar 03, 2013
Well to me d govt of d day is only after where dey retain certains for themselves not d interest of lagos,if dey are serious dey shud come to alaba rago in ojo dis a total slum on an international road

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 11:38pm On Mar 03, 2013
Until one loses a home, one can never understand what those who lose homes to Fashola's demolition go through. I was stucked in traffic for 3 hours along the Bar Beach road so I decided to park and have a drink at the Beach for about 2 hours so the traffic can improve. Behold, I saw the innocent victims of Fashola's demolition sleeping in the open sand with kids and on mats and mattresses. It was a sorry site, I am sure Fashola understands that a caring Government needed to provide alternative shelter to these victims, the mere fact that they were informed to relocate but couldnt, is an indication that they had no money to relocate elsewhere, no one should support demolition without alternative provision. This is highly irrational of any Government.

6 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 11:38pm On Mar 03, 2013
emmatok:
We can't separate Lagos from Nigeria.
We live in a poverty ridden country and Lagos is included.

Magacity project is just a pipedream.

It isn't a pipe-dream, a lot just needs to be done to make it feasible... If they can link the whole SW(including Edo) together through rail and good road network - and probably look for a way to move out at least 30% of the people in Lagos now, it should be feasible in the next 15-20years... The governor(and subsequent governors) just need to be heavy handed and follow a blueprint on what they want to achieve...
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by infolekan(m): 11:39pm On Mar 03, 2013
hollandis:

USELESS ARS.E LICKER.I HATE TOO MANY PEOPLE IN THIS COUNTRY NOWADAYS

You seem too angry with the world or is it ur world which tells me you think the world is unfair & life isn't fair & God doesn't exist & all that BS people say when their life takes that all too familiar downward turn without any glimmer of hope or turnaround.....but still, you better pipe down & take a chill pill or else you'll just die off without making any mark in the world.
*advice from a faceless friend who doesn't care either you live, leave or die*
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by slimfit1(m): 11:40pm On Mar 03, 2013
shy-mmex:
Sad....

However, the state definitely needs this to be able to achieve its megacity dreams... But those of them who are from Lagos should be given shelter and those who aren't from Lagos should be asked to return to their home states...

Why would you say this type of thing seriously just not necessary
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by azzima(m): 11:40pm On Mar 03, 2013
This happens everywhere in the world. You cannot govern with too much sentiments or else things won't change. I am too sure that these residents knew beforehand that they were coming to demolish the slums. I noticed that everyone that they interviewed have jobs. A driver, a cook etc. What happens to other drivers and cooks that are renting rooms in other Parts of lagos? Should we say they are stupid?
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 11:40pm On Mar 03, 2013
Boss13:

Oga India please I am not stereotyping but at this point I have to agree to this. Indians in Nigeria do not pay taxes, they are always making loss for 20 years they keep making loss. Why not close down operations. No they prefer to pay little or no tax at all. Also, we hear of the inhumane treatment perpetrated by Indians and Lebanese on their Nigerian employees. You might be different but these things occur.

If that's how the Indians in Nigeria are, they need to be kicked out of the country... There are no freebies anywhere, you either contribute to where you reside, or get the phuck out of there...
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Boss13: 11:41pm On Mar 03, 2013
hollandis:

Please you are becoming a nuisance. You can leave the forum and never return. The mods do not need your rant.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by vandarsar(m): 11:42pm On Mar 03, 2013
You seconded the last opinion in a way cause am sure you're a brainwashed christian who thinks oyinbo people don't have their own gods, the jews don't even believe in your fuckin.g Jesus who happens to be their cousin.

Its so sad people are able to sympathize with common cultist like damoshe and don't see any reason to see that their Governor is highly deluded and only running a rich man politics by displacing poor people illegally.

I really am missing Gani Fawehinmi so much, this is becoming unbearable for us, and it seems all activist are either dead or have been bribed!

Ejiné:

In a way, this is true.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 11:42pm On Mar 03, 2013
hollandis:

Damn!! Take the hate out of your heart - you're a very beautiful woman... wink

I know life's hard but love is the answer... grin
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by dayokanu(m): 11:42pm On Mar 03, 2013
Well done Fashola EKo o ni baje

No room for law breakers
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by ichidodo: 11:43pm On Mar 03, 2013
COME INDIAN MAN DONT ALLOW ME TO GRAB U. SO U R NOT ASHAMED OF SPEWIN TRASH OF SETTLIN AND RAISIN URE PARASITE SEED IN MY COUNTRY, THE ONE WEY U CHOP NEVA DO U, THEN U DECIDED TO BRING IN URE PARASITE FAMILY TO FINISH THE JOB. U CALL ME SCUM AND YET U R A PARASITE IN SCUMLAND WHO IS THE BIGGER PHLEGM. INDIAN MAN WATCH URE BACK.
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 11:44pm On Mar 03, 2013
slim fit :

Why would you say this type of thing seriously just not necessary

How do you mean Or do you want him to kick the indigenous Lagos out for people from other states??

Indigenous Lagosians are suffering from the overpopulation of Lagos, they need to enjoy their home state for once before they leave this planet...
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by emmatok(m): 11:44pm On Mar 03, 2013
shy-mmex:

It isn't a pipe-dream, a lot just needs to be done to make it feasible... If they can link the whole SW(including Edo) together through rail and good road network - and probably look for a way to move out at least 30% of the people in Lagos now, it should be feasible in the next 15-20years... The governor(and subsequent governors) just need to be heavy handed and follow a blueprint on what they want to achieve...

Lagos has been undergoing Dev since Jakande regime, but all was stop by new governments.
Do you think another government from another party will continue Fashola projects.
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by SELFWORTH: 11:44pm On Mar 03, 2013
A-ZeD:

If they where giving quit notices, then the Governor did the right thing. Nigerians should learn to put sentiments aside. People build houses everyday in Nigeria without proper planning, if they get demolished, everybody says the Government is wicked.

Nigerians should learn to do the right thing.

Either way, give them time to pack thier belongings. We are accountable to God in all that we do.

Demolishing without care for them or thier property is not what I would call good governance . It's only in Nigeria that people will agree that its ok becos the victims are poor.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by hollandis(f): 11:48pm On Mar 03, 2013
all4naija: Primitive man!

bastardddd aka gutter rat ..am a woman
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by hollandis(f): 11:49pm On Mar 03, 2013
Boss13:

Please you are becoming a nuisance. You can leave the forum and never return. The mods do not need your rant.

forkk you.Ajegunla man
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by hollandis(f): 11:50pm On Mar 03, 2013
ichidodo: COME INDIAN MAN DONT ALLOW ME TO GRAB U. SO U R NOT ASHAMED OF SPEWIN TRASH OF SETTLIN AND RAISIN URE PARASITE SEED IN MY COUNTRY, THE ONE WEY U CHOP NEVA DO U, THEN U DECIDED TO BRING IN URE PARASITE FAMILY TO FINISH THE JOB. U CALL ME SCUM AND YET U R A PARASITE IN SCUMLAND WHO IS THE BIGGER PHLEGM. INDIAN MAN WATCH URE BACK.

I have already called him a bastad.So take it easy
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 11:50pm On Mar 03, 2013
emmatok:

Lagos has been undergoing Dev since Jakande regime, but all was stop by new governments.
Do you think another government from another party will continue Fashola projects.

That was obviously truncated because of the decades of military rule... It's a new dawn and all hands must be on deck to put Lagos and its beautiful landscape where it belongs in the world... Continuity is also important, hence why Lagosians need to keep voting the same party in, or any other aspirant that has the interest of the state at heart...

More reason why we need indigenous Lagosians who love the state at the helm of affairs in the state, not outsiders who would come in to loot and destroy the state..
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by emmatok(m): 11:50pm On Mar 03, 2013
The same thing El Rufia did in Abuja and some people are still suffering till today.
Yet Abuja still has slums.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by hollandis(f): 11:51pm On Mar 03, 2013
infolekan:

You seem too angry with the world or is it ur world which tells me you think the world is unfair & life isn't fair & God doesn't exist & all that BS people say when their life takes that all too familiar downward turn without any glimmer of hope or turnaround.....but still, you better pipe down & take a chill pill or else you'll just die off without making any mark in the world.
*advice from a faceless friend who doesn't care either you live, leave or die*

1. why should this be a stickie
2. why should it be on front page
3. why are people supporting making people homeless

I dont understand

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by SELFWORTH: 11:52pm On Mar 03, 2013
teetee123:

It is a pity that the demolition have to happen. I don't want to believe that this people were never given notice.
Sentiments apart:

1. Is there any legal documents for those structures
2. Is the place fit for leaving

If you are occupying a place illegally, you should not expect government to provide alternative for you. However, government and private sector should endeavour to provide affordable accommodation for all.

What if you are occupying as a legal person? My uncles house was demolished in 2007 even though we have all the legal documents including all our local govt approval. We are still waiting for compensation. We know it will never come. His house was built in 1971 with a mortgage from Federal Mortgage Bank so you know it was not illegal. Up until the month of demolition, he still paid his tenament rate of 75k naira and got a receipt. The same govt office who took his money demolished the house a few weeks later. Is this good governance?

Until something happens to you, believe me you have no idea what's its like.

That's why many people can comment here blandly. Life is a cycle, one day they will look back and think differently.

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by chiswaggs: 11:53pm On Mar 03, 2013
Neo-XVI:

They should have "offered them something" BEFORE making them homeless, not after. What are they supposed to do in the meantime? All these is because they are missing the central point: these people are humans, not dogs.
And Fashola should work with the legislature to make it illegal for landlords to demand more than 1 month rent in advance, as is done all over the world. That will help reduce the homelessness. The whole paying for 2, 3 years ish is totally absurd and makes housing more difficult to afford. They don't pay workers 2, 3 years salaries in advance, why should landlords demand that? It makes no sense. It's just greed.
I agree wif ur point on the way they were being treated, but on the issue of 1 month advance, even 1 year advance, sha, if you are a Landlord you'll undastand. If you consider aw much goes into erecting a property and how much d Landlords collect as rent, you'll see therz not much gain.
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by infolekan(m): 11:54pm On Mar 03, 2013
SELFWORTH:

Either way, give them time to pack thier belongings. We are accountable to God in all that we do.

Demolishing without care for them or thier property is not what I would call good governance . It's only in Nigeria that people will agree that its ok becos the victims are poor.

Mr Man....leave God out of it.
The houses demolished in Abuja some months ago were bought by the rich with millions of naira....they ranted the same way. The issue of time to pack their belongin is overflogged.
You're living in someones uncompleted building & told to move out & you're still talking of time. Being poor isn't a reason to break the law & sentiments don't make a good leader.
Your type make the worst leader actually though....we're familiar with your type

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Nigerians Vent Frustrations Against President Buhari - CNN / How Buhari’s Emissaries Met Sowore In Detention - Premium Times / Opinion: Most Corrupt States In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.