Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,471 members, 7,816,117 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:23 AM

Margaret Thatcher Is Dead - Foreign Affairs (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Margaret Thatcher Is Dead (44318 Views)

An Open Letter To Mrs Margaret Thatcher From General Olusegun Obasanjo / Watch Margaret Thatcher’s Funeral Highlights / Margaret Thatcher's Death Greeted With Street Parties In Brixton And Glasgow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 3:02pm On Apr 08, 2013
temujin1234: Worst prime minister ever.

I think Gordon Brown can compete with that, no ?
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by franchizy(m): 3:03pm On Apr 08, 2013
Thatcher built Britain to greatness.
RIP mummy
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by cap28: 3:04pm On Apr 08, 2013
Reference:

He,he,he. Because she fought organised labour to a stand still. That's why Britain today is not another Spain or Greece run by unions and sinking under mountains of EU bailout cash.

What is it with you people? its not as if you are benefitting in any way from any of the policies that she implemented - the unions were responsible for protecting the rights of ordinary british workers - if we had a decent worker's union in nigeria do you thing Goodluck Jonathan could have gotten away with hiking up the price of petrol without any severe repercussions on his tenure in office?
I can tell you that Thatcher's arrogance and contempt for the poor led to her demise in 1990 when she was humiliatingly forced out of office following the council tax riots which threatened to tear this country apart.

1 Like

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 3:08pm On Apr 08, 2013
adaobi123:

I think Gordon Brown can compete with that, no ?

Gordon Brown wasn't really that bad, the press just hated him because he's Scottish... And he was also the brain behind most of the best policies under Tony Blair...

Tony Blair is my guy but he messed up by letting ret.arded Bush lead him astray... However, he still remains the best PM since Winston Churchill IMO...

1 Like

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 3:11pm On Apr 08, 2013
@shymexxlion: You are right, SAP was simply an IMF/World Bank and a Western programme designed to bring absolute misery to residents in the so-called "Third-world countries".
SAP was essentially designed by US and Western European financial firms to ensure that their multinational corporations get to extract the natural resources of Third-world countries cheaply, and to ensure that govt spending on general social welfare is drastically reduced. In addition, SAP entailed the devaluation of the Naira, which instantly raised the cost of living for millions of Nigerians.
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by naptu2: 3:15pm On Apr 08, 2013
I remember that she diplomatically rejected the Emir of Kano's gift (a horse).

I remember the poll tax riots of 1989 (boy, that wasn't funny).

British Leyland, British Airways/British Caledonian, Jaguar, etc were all owned by the government before Mrs Thatcher's privatisation programme kicked in.

Basically, her idea was to cut government spending and shore up its finances by privatising state owned companies, increasing taxes and cutting benefits for the poor.

Her measures boosted businesses and the rich, but were unfavourable to the poor. Mrs Thatcher said that the effects of her policies would trickle down (I.e when the rich and businesses get more money, they'll employ more workers and also buy more stuff). Someone (wish I could remember who) responded that, in Thatcher's plan, the rich are like a horse eating something, while the poor are waiting for what will trickle down the other end of the horse (the anus).

1 Like

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by livethinme: 3:18pm On Apr 08, 2013
naptu2: I remember that she diplomatically rejected the Emir of Kano's gift (a horse).

I remember the poll tax riots of 1989 (boy, that wasn't funny).

British Leyland, British Airways/British Caledonian, Jaguar, etc were all owned by the government before Mrs Thatcher's privatisation programme kicked in.

Basically, her idea was to cut government spending and shore up its finances by privatising state owned companies, increasing taxes and cutting benefits for the poor.

Her measures boosted businesses and the rich, but were unfavourable to the poor. Mrs Thatcher said that the effects of her policies would trickle down (I.e when the rich and businesses get more money, they'll employ more workers and also buy more stuff). Someone (wish I could remember who) responded that, in Thatcher's plan, the rich are like a horse eating something, while the poor are waiting for what will trickle down the other end of the horse (the anus).

Didnt she cut taxes for businesses and the rich?
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Venchy: 3:23pm On Apr 08, 2013
CFCfan:

And IBB had the audacity to hypocritically set up the NDLEA. Also, the US authorities during the 1980s had the shameless effrontery to label Nigeria as essentially a world renowned drug route. Smh.

Anyway, I wouldn't entirely blame both Reagan and Thatcher for their hypocrisy and double standards, it was the CIA that needed the Nigerian drug route to fund their (CIA) activities in Nicaragua (Iran-Contra scandal).

This is the problem Nigerians BLAME GAME, we are very good at it, we never take responsibility. ....My parent didn't do this and that for me, what have you done for yourself.

Let's Take stock to see what we've done for ourselves instead of pointing an accusing fingers...more so what has drugs got to do with MAGGIE? Nonsense.

3 Likes

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 3:25pm On Apr 08, 2013
Red-Light:
are u from the middle east?
i am from where honesty and fairness should be practiced without double standards. starting illegal wars in the name of personal vendetta is not right. "Injustice anywhere in the world will lead to injustice everywhere in the world."
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Reference(m): 3:26pm On Apr 08, 2013
cap28:

What is it with you people? its not as if you are benefitting in any way from any of the policies that she implemented - the unions were responsible for protecting the rights of ordinary british workers - if we had a decent worker's union in nigeria do you thing Goodluck Jonathan could have gotten away with hiking up the price of petrol without any severe repercussions on his tenure in office?
I can tell you that Thatcher's arrogance and contempt for the poor led to her demise in 1990 when she was humiliatingly forced out of office following the council tax riots which threatened to tear this country apart.

C'mon. Gordon Brown was equally ejected like a spent shell casing even after kicking the unions to the kerb. No one wants an ungovernable state like France.

Look at the figures. 25 % of EU cash goes to bedding and pillows for farmers that contribute a farthing - 1% of GDP. That's what unions can do to your wallet. Rob the hardworking and enterprising and give to the indolent and their mafioso leadership.

Thank God for misi iron fists if not the only thing Britain will have been exporting today is coal and perhaps cottage cheese and of course cider.

2 Likes

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by cap28: 3:28pm On Apr 08, 2013
Cameron dare not give this woman a state funeral
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by everyday: 3:30pm On Apr 08, 2013
May her soul rest in peace
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by badesco(m): 3:34pm On Apr 08, 2013
So the woman finally died, i am sure most Nigerians would not forget this iron lady in a jiffy because she is the one that made things very hard for Nigerians to come to Britain in the 80s with her conservative and abnormal laws targeted against the blacks especially Nigerians. We that are there in the 80s saw hell.
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by toyesco(m): 3:35pm On Apr 08, 2013
WHAT IS ONE'S GAIN WHEN U HAVE ALL THE LIFE ND CAN'T EVEN DIE WIT IT. MHEN IT'S GOOD 2 BE GOOD.
IN WHICH EVER POSITION U FOUND URSELF 2DAY ALWAY'S HAVE IT AT D BAK OF UR MIND DAT FOR THE MAIN TIME. IS EITHER U LIVE IT OR IT LIVES U.

1 Like

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 3:36pm On Apr 08, 2013
You may support Lady Thatcher all you want, however that doesn't change the fact that she ruled the union like the English were the only ones there... Also, she never cared about the opposition and their base...

Let's be honest here, Lady Thatacher is the reason why the conservatives have little or no presence in Scotland... and she's also the reason why they want to leave the union... She wasn't a bridge builder - but she was a strong leader...

1 Like

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by cap28: 3:37pm On Apr 08, 2013
Reference:

C'mon. Gordon Brown was equally ejected like a spent shell casing even after kicking the unions to the kerb. No one wants an ungovernable state like France.

Brown was merely continuing a legacy that had been put in place by Thatcher. New Labour is a watered down version of the Conservative party.
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by VolvoS60(m): 3:37pm On Apr 08, 2013
al-qaeda:
i wont say good riddance but certainly dont give a dried crap over her death afterall she and george bush the monkey started a war in iraq that has so far killed over a million so she just another dead person to me. she an rot in hell.

^^^^

grin grin grin

I think you have mixed up Mrs Thatcher with someone else. . .
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 3:41pm On Apr 08, 2013
Magaret Thatcher? Sounds more like a lady Magaret living in a thatch House. *pauses* is that how she got her name?

1 Like

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by vanstanzy(m): 3:43pm On Apr 08, 2013
The Iron Lady has finally left the building. Rest In Peace, Thatcher.
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by naptu2: 3:46pm On Apr 08, 2013
livethinme:

Didnt she cut taxes for businesses and the rich?

Yep! That was part of the trickle down policy (encourage the rich and businesses [cut taxes] and their investments will create a trickle down effect that will benefit the poor).
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by naptu2: 3:48pm On Apr 08, 2013
VolvoS60:

^^^^

grin grin grin

I think he's referring to 1990 (the first gulf war).
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by VolvoS60(m): 3:55pm On Apr 08, 2013
naptu2:

^^^^
She was no longer in office when the war started. Although it seems she contributed to the war effort before her resignation.
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 3:58pm On Apr 08, 2013
RIP

I pray for her soul, but the woman was evil to black Africans
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Reference(m): 3:58pm On Apr 08, 2013
naptu2:

Wasn't that one legit. Even the late Osama agreed Sadaam was a naughty boy.
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by VolvoS60(m): 4:09pm On Apr 08, 2013
Thatcher...a highly controversial figure.

Only time will tell whether her promotion of financialization (and the associated decline in manufacturing) was the right way to go for the UK.
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 4:12pm On Apr 08, 2013
VolvoS60:

^^^^

grin grin grin

naptu2:

VolvoS60:

^^^^
She was no longer in office when the war started. Although it seems she contributed to the war effort before her resignation.
Reference:

Wasn't that one legit. Even the late Osama agreed Sadaam was a naughty boy.
she started it with the old bush man in 1990 and gulf war 2 was just an issue of settling scores. is that area any better now. at least back then they didnt have to contend with iran. now tory don change. they now accept they were wrong. i repeat she can rot in hell just wish i can piss on her dead body. she is no better than those killed in iraq and falklands.
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by cap28: 4:12pm On Apr 08, 2013
Reference:

Look at the figures. 25 % of EU cash goes to bedding and pillows for farmers that contribute a farthing - 1% of GDP. That's what unions can do to your wallet. Rob the hardworking and enterprising and give to the indolent and their mafioso leadership.

Thank God for misi iron fists if not the only thing Britain will have been exporting today is coal and perhaps cottage cheese and of course cider.

Funny, how come britain is running a trade and budget deficit and had to bail the banks out to the tune of over £1 trillion pounds followng the banking crisis of 2008?
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by creativemusic: 4:14pm On Apr 08, 2013
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by cap28: 4:14pm On Apr 08, 2013
VolvoS60:
Thatcher...a highly controversial figure.

Only time will tell whether her promotion of financialization (and the associated decline in manufacturing) was the right way to go for the UK.

I think the evidence is all around you to see.
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by EiE1(f): 4:15pm On Apr 08, 2013
And you had to quote it, as if we haven't read it just b4 your comment (which is the 1st). Mtchewwww!
cap28:

Good riddance
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by GalaxyNoteII: 4:18pm On Apr 08, 2013
May her soul RIP
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by joseph1832(m): 4:19pm On Apr 08, 2013
If there's one thing I loved about this Lady, its her guts. She had the guts to get things done unlike our infamous GEJ!

Margaret Thatcher you are more of a man than GEJ.

Rest In Peace mi Lady!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Election Betting Odds Have Flipped To Favor Trump, Expert Says / Man Arrested After Allegedly Touching Spanish Journalist’s Bottom Live On Air / Germany Bans Gathering Of More Than 2 People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.