Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,692 members, 7,809,613 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:58 AM

Must Christians Observe The Law Of Moses? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Must Christians Observe The Law Of Moses? (11523 Views)

Should Child Dedication Be Abolished Since It Is Found In The Law Of Moses? / Is This How You Observe The Shabbath? / The 6th And 7th Books Of Moses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Must Christians Observe The Law Of Moses? by christemmbassey(m): 9:12pm On Aug 05, 2013
The law of Moses was the pillar of judaism(levitical priesthood) which was replaced by the law of the spirit of life in Jerus which is the pillar of christianity. You can not mixe christianity and judaism otherwise, for you, Christ died for nothing, and thats profanity.
Re: Must Christians Observe The Law Of Moses? by MostHigh: 9:17pm On Aug 05, 2013
christemmbassey: The law of Moses was the pillar of judaism(levitical priesthood) which was replaced by the law of the spirit of life in Jerus which is the pillar of christianity. You can not mixe christianity and judaism otherwise, for you, Christ died for nothing, and thats profanity.

22 What shall we do? They will certainly hear that you have come, 23 so do what we tell you. There are four men with us who have made a vow. 24 Take these men, join in their purification rites and pay their expenses, so that they can have their heads shaved. Then everyone will know there is no truth in these reports about you, but that [b]you yourself are living in obedience to the law

KINDLY DIGEST THE ABOVE AGAIN ACTS 21
Re: Must Christians Observe The Law Of Moses? by DrummaBoy(m): 9:29pm On Aug 05, 2013
MostHigh:

22 What shall we do? They will certainly hear that you have come, 23 so do what we tell you. There are four men with us who have made a vow. 24 Take these men, join in their purification rites and pay their expenses, so that they can have their heads shaved. Then everyone will know there is no truth in these reports about you, but that you yourself are living in obedience to the law

This was my response to this over quoted verse of yours in the thread you opened arguing that Paul was a Juadiazer like you. Hopefully you should be able to respond to it better now; as you are beginning to learn to be patient as Tgirl advised you to in the other thread.

Now, MostHigh quotes a passage in Acts were it was said that Paul went to offer a vow at the instance of James and the other apostles.

Acts 21:17 And when we were come to Jerusalem, the brethren received us gladly. 18 And the day following Paul went in with us unto James; and all the elders were present. 19 And when he had saluted them, he declared particularly [b]what things God had wrought among the Gentiles by his ministry. 20 And when they heard it, they glorified the Lord, and said unto him, Thou seest, brother, how many thousands of Jews there are which believe; and they are all zealous of the law: 21 And they are informed of thee, that thou teachest all the Jews which are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, saying that they ought not to circumcise their children, neither to walk after the customs. 22 What is it therefore? the multitude must needs come together: for they will hear that thou art come. 23 Do therefore this that we say to thee: We have four men which have a vow on them; 24 Them take, and purify thyself with them, and be at charges with them, that they may shave their heads: and all may know that those things, whereof they were informed concerning thee, are nothing; but that thou thyself also walkest orderly, and keepest the law. 25 As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no such thing, save only that they keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication. 26 Then Paul took the men, and the next day purifying himself with them entered into the temple, to signify the accomplishment of the days of purification, until that an offering should be offered for every one of them.

He claims from this passage that Paul lived like a Jew. That passage is easy to explain with two verses found in 1 Corinthians 9:

19 For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more. 20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;

From this passage we can learn that Paul was free from pleasing men; he exercised his full liberty in Christ to live and preach the gospel of grace. But so as to win the Jews he lived like a Jew and subjected himself to the law. Jerusalem, at the time Paul visited, was in uproar. The allegation made against Paul that he taught men not to live under the law WAS TRUE. James and others’ suggestion was the sort of “wisdom” Paul had discussed about in the above passage. His main aim of going to Jerusalem, was to testify about Christ to the Jews, as he would later do to Ceasar, so that the Jews could have their very last warning from God to accept Christ or be overthrown (as it happened in AD 70). So Paul took up the vow and went into the temple to make the sacrifices, to be under the law, all in a bid to be acceptable to his people so that he could have the chance to tell them about Christ.

Apparently, it did not work. But they got the testimony they needed to hear. And Jesus confirming this testimony stood by Paul subsequently and told him the same way he testified of him before the Jews, he was to do the same before Caesar (Acts 23:11). Any sound bible scholar will realize that the message of that section of Scripture was not that Paul lived like a Jew but simply that Paul did everything, including coming under the law, to witness to his people.

Another example to buttress this point is Paul taking Timothy and circumcising him. He did this so that Timothy’s message before the Jews will not be rebuffed. But notice that he did not circumcise Titus (Galatains 2:3). So if Paul kept the law strictly, he would have circumcised Timothy and Titus but he did for one and not for the other. It is called walking in wisdom.
Re: Must Christians Observe The Law Of Moses? by shdemidemi(m): 9:31pm On Aug 05, 2013
MostHigh:

22 What shall we do? They will certainly hear that you have come, 23 so do what we tell you. There are four men with us who have made a vow. 24 Take these men, join in their purification rites and pay their expenses, so that they can have their heads shaved. Then everyone will know there is no truth in these reports about you, but that [b]you yourself are living in obedience to the law

Paul goes to Jerusalem, contrary to a lot of warning, which gives rise to a lot of discussion. Was he being pig-headed, should he have listened, should he have stayed away from Jerusalem, or was this everything God intended? Paul got to Jerusalem in spite of all these little road blocks, because here is where he had to make his final move to the Nation of Israel. Again, they had to make their final decree, "Away with him." They didn't want any thing to do with Paul or his message. He has to appeal to the Roman authorities, and they came to his rescue.

The man did not care about his life, he did all he did for the sake of the gospel (check 2 timothy)

1 Corinthians 9:20-22

King James Version (KJV)

20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;

21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.

22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.
Re: Must Christians Observe The Law Of Moses? by DrummaBoy(m): 9:37pm On Aug 05, 2013
^^^

I pasted my quote 2 minutes before Demi did and we both offered the same answer to the questions raised by MostHigh, without seeing each other's post. Is this "by the mouth of two or three witnesses the matter is confirmed"; is the spirit one?

2 Likes

Re: Must Christians Observe The Law Of Moses? by JesusisLord85: 9:38pm On Aug 05, 2013
MostHigh:

Hilarious smiley

I always find it funny when you try and separate Israel from the king and place the so called church in her place

If I remember correctly when one disciple enquired about the DESCIPLES REWARD from the master....

Then Peter said to Him, “Behold, we have left everything and followed You; what then will there be for us?”

28 And Jesus said to them, “Truly I say to you, that you who have followed Me, in the regeneration when the Son of Man will sit on [a]His glorious throne, you also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

29 And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother [b]or children or farms for My name’s sake, will receive [c]many times as much, and will inherit eternal life.

So it is at once clear that the future kingdom is based upon the same THEOCRATIC principles of old

12 TRIBES OF ISREAL REBORN

PLEASE DONT LET THIS PASS OVER YOUR HEAD AGAIN smiley

Stop spreading and encouraging falsehood

I am truly beginning to think he purposely teaches falsehood. Interestingly, his whole theology rests on the 2-gospel idea. I guess he has that, in error. I wonder how the rest of them explain the lawlessness they teach. But at least they arrive at the same conclusion...we are free to do whatever they say. Well, narrow is the gate
Re: Must Christians Observe The Law Of Moses? by JesusisLord85: 9:39pm On Aug 05, 2013
DrummaBoy: ^^^

I pasted my quote 2 minutes before Demi did and we both offered the same answer to the questions raised by MostHigh, without seeing each other's post. Is this "by the mouth of two or three witnesses the matter is confirmed"; is the spirit one?

Lol so you now quote indirectly from the law. Shame it does not apply here.
Re: Must Christians Observe The Law Of Moses? by DrummaBoy(m): 9:47pm On Aug 05, 2013
JesusisLord85:

So because we teach that Christians should not follow the Mosaic laws, you think we have deleted the whole of the OT from our bibles. Sorry, it is not so...

If you check through the OT, except for very few times and in the times of Moses, you would realize that the law was not the central point of the Jewish religion... it was Jehovah God and what he demanded from his people. And there are places even in OT were God denounced the people's superficial use of the law; stating that he does not want burnt offering but obedeience, etc...

We see Jesus repeat the same in the gospels. God demands the Spirit of the law from us and this is found in the Law of Spirit and Life. Alwaystrue may pride herself in the fact that this is what she has been arguing for all this time but as long as we have such Christians making issues out of tithing, sabbath, circumcision and their likes, they are still bound to Moses... They are what they hate being called: JUDAIZERS
Re: Must Christians Observe The Law Of Moses? by Nobody: 9:55pm On Aug 05, 2013
the Mosaic has served it purpose by making transgression manifest and leading us to Christ.

when Jesus was still alive, the law was still in effect, but it was after his death that the law ceased to be binding on Christian. however, the law was not evil, using it as a principle can equally be good.

1 Like

Re: Must Christians Observe The Law Of Moses? by Alwaystrue(f): 9:59pm On Aug 05, 2013
grin @Drummaboy, so is all this calling my username because I refused to visit your thread yet you claimed I should know you are not like that cheesy ?
Whatever name you chose to call anyone does not add or remove anything from them, not even a hair so if your opinion makes you happy by all means be happy.
Whatever you do not understand but claim absolute knowledge on shows more learning is required.
The word is a two-edged sword. You do not know it all. Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Must Christians Observe The Law Of Moses? by shdemidemi(m): 10:03pm On Aug 05, 2013
6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter

9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.

11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.
romans 8
3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
Re: Must Christians Observe The Law Of Moses? by MostHigh: 10:06pm On Aug 05, 2013
DrummaBoy: ^^^

Hilarious true

Thats the best you can come up with

Just pathetic, your lawlessness I mean

psychology 101 smiley

You make Paul sound like a PUPPET a PRETENDER or someone with MULTIPLE PERSONALITY DISORDER smiley

What your are interpreting there is your own vain understanding.

We dont see paul going to worship in the temple of ashtoreth or molech like you are implying from your interpretation.

Children of the little horn smiley
Re: Must Christians Observe The Law Of Moses? by MostHigh: 10:07pm On Aug 05, 2013
JesusisLord85:

Hypocryte to the core

Scoffers thats what they are smiley
Re: Must Christians Observe The Law Of Moses? by DrummaBoy(m): 10:11pm On Aug 05, 2013
@Alwaystrue :

@Drummaboy, so is all this calling my username is because I refused to visit your thread. cheesy ?

No. You said you will not visit and it was OK with me. Why should I quote you because of that... again, this is a public forum and the minute you register a name and comment, you open yourself up to a response... whatever that response might be. That is why in the thread Alex opened I said that this forum requires a level of maturity.

Whatever name you chose to call anyone does not add or remove anything from them, not even a hair so if your opinion makes you happy by all means be happy.

The word JUDAIZER according to MostHigh is a slur word and I meant it so; because that is the only way of putting it straight to folks like you the kind of doctrine you advocate. I showed on my own thread somewhere Paul called those of the circumcision dogs (Phillipians 3); another place he said they should cut of their d..cks if he they continue to insist on circumcision. Now, if MostHigh own up to being a Judaizer and non of you have for once proven him wrong, what does that make you? Are you not a Judaizer yourself?

Whatever you do not understand but claim absolute knowledge on shows more learning is required.

How much of this advice have you applied to yourself? I have never claimed absolute knowledge of anything on this forum; I came here myself seeking the light on tithing and non of you could prove to me why I should continue tithing and so I stopped. How does this offend you?

The word is a two-esged sword. You do not know it all. Cheers.e word of God

I do not know what you mean by the above but I believe I have made myself clear.
Re: Must Christians Observe The Law Of Moses? by JesusisLord85: 10:12pm On Aug 05, 2013
DrummaBoy:

So because we teach that Christians should not follow the Mosaic laws, you think we have deleted the whole of the OT from our bibles. Sorry, it is not so...

If you check through the OT, except for very few times and in the times of Moses, you would realize that the law was not the central point of the Jewish religion... it was Jehovah God and what he demanded from his people. And there are places even in OT were God denounced the people's superficial use of the law; stating that he does not want burnt offering but obedeience, etc...

We see Jesus repeat the same in the gospels. God demands the Spirit of the law from us and this is found in the Law of Spirit and Life. Alwaystrue may pride herself in the fact that this is what she has been arguing for all this time but as long as we have such Christians making issues out of tithing, sabbath, circumcision and their likes, they are still bound to Moses... They are what they hate being called: JUDAIZERS

haha if obeying the commandments makes me a 'Judaizer', then God bless you for recognising this.
So God denouncing the superficial use of the law, how does that support the idea that he dissolved the law? God wants to be worshipped in spirit and truth.
When you can show me that Yashua was a Christian, then I will follow your teachings.
Lol your quote is hilarious "you would realize that the law was not the central point of the Jewish religion... it was Jehovah God and what he demanded from his people" :s
The torah is God's instruction for his people my friend, stop talking nonsense.

Let me show you what the bible says about the righteous:

Matthew 19:17
And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Luke 1:6
And they were both righteous before God,walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.

2 Peter 2:21
For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.

1 John 2:3
And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

1 John 2:4
He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1 John 3:22
And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.

1 John 3:24
And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

1 John 5:3
For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

2 John 1:6
And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.

Revelation 12:17
And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Revelation 14:12
Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus

Revelation 22:14
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

What do you people not understand about keeping the commandments? Or was John a false teacher?

2 Likes

Re: Must Christians Observe The Law Of Moses? by MostHigh: 10:14pm On Aug 05, 2013
DrummaBoy:

How can you just be displaying your ignorance publicly like this smiley

How can you say the law was not a central point of the Jewish religion

Theocrcy is the rule of the God of heaven on earth

The constitution of this government has always been and will always be the LAW

What do you know of the jews apart from your preconcived ideas?

Ignorance is no excuse though.

judgement fire upon all those that say they are jews are they are not smiley-
Re: Must Christians Observe The Law Of Moses? by JesusisLord85: 10:16pm On Aug 05, 2013
MostHigh:

How can you just be displaying your ignorance publicly like this smiley

How can you say the law was not a central point of the Jewish religion

Theocrcy is the rule of the God of heaven on earth

The constitution of this government has always been and will always be the LAW

What do you know of the jews apart from your preconcived ideas?

Ignorance is no excuse though.

judgement fire upon all those that say they are jews are they are not smiley-

Brother, did that verse not say "Christians"? or was it "pentecostal"? If neither of the above, surely it meant 'baptist'?
Re: Must Christians Observe The Law Of Moses? by MostHigh: 10:18pm On Aug 05, 2013
shdemidemi: 6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter

9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.

11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.
romans 8
3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

child of the little horn smiley

Like your father you earnestly seek to change the traditions and customs of the most high God
Re: Must Christians Observe The Law Of Moses? by Goshen360(m): 10:18pm On Aug 05, 2013
6He has enabled us to be ministers of his new covenant. This is a covenant not of written laws, but of the Spirit. The old written covenant ends in death; but under the new covenant, the Spirit gives life.

7The old way, with laws etched in stone, led to death, though it began with such glory that the people of Israel could not bear to look at Moses’ face. For his face shone with the glory of God, even though the brightness was already fading away.

8Shouldn’t we expect far greater glory under the new way, now that the Holy Spirit is giving life?

9If the old way, which brings condemnation, was glorious, how much more glorious is the new way, which makes us right with God!

10In fact, that first glory was not glorious at all compared with the overwhelming glory of the new way.

11So if the old way, which has been replaced, was glorious, how much more glorious is the new, which remains forever!

12Since this new way gives us such confidence, we can be very bold.

13We are not like Moses, who put a veil over his face so the people of Israel would not see the glory, even though it was destined to fade away.

14But the people’s minds were hardened, and to this day whenever the old covenant is being read, the same veil covers their minds so they cannot understand the truth. And this veil can be removed only by believing in Christ.

15Yes, even today when they read Moses’ writings, their hearts are covered with that veil, and they do not understand.

16But whenever someone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away.

17For the Lord is the Spirit, and wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.

18So all of us who have had that veil removed can see and reflect the glory of the Lord. And the Lord—who is the Spirit—makes us more and more like him as we are changed into his glorious image.

1 Corinthians 3

The Apostle Paul labbelled the 10 commandments here written on stones as ministry of death and condemnation. Why would he do that? Since we know what he taught was by Christ's revelation. On the other hand, the same Apostle re-introduced or re-surfaced the 10 commandments to the NT believers saying:

The commandments, "You shall not commit adultery," "You shall not murder," "You shall not steal," "You shall not covet," and whatever other command there may be, are summed up in this one command: "Love your neighbor as yourself." Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law. Romans 13:9-10

Well then, am I suggesting that the law of God is sinful? Of course not! In fact, it was the law that showed me my sin. I would never have known that coveting is wrong if the law had not said, "You must not covet." But sin used this command to arouse all kinds of covetous desires within me! If there were no law, sin would not have that power. Romans 7:7-8

Now, we have to pay close attention to these things. How will Apostle Paul say the 10 commandments are ministry of death and condemnation and on the other hand praised the law? The scriptures in 1 Corinthians 3 referring to the national Israel NOT the church. In the case of national Israel, when these thou shall not was given it ministered death and condemnation to them BUT when the Holy Spirit was given, it ministered life on the day of Pentecost. What is the difference? Are Christians to commit adultery, murder, steal etc because it wasn't given to us they way it was given to national Israel? NO!

What Paul is saying is it is NOT the written law on stones that guides a believer no more but the Holy Spirit. 1 Corinthians 3:8. The law (as written on stones) served as a guide until we receive the Holy Spirit indwelling us and telling us (by the already knowledge of sin through the law) adultery is bad, murdering is bad, coveting is bad. So, many Christians are still obeying thou shall not commit adultery because the law of Moses said so, NO! It is the Spirit in believers that kicks against such acts.

The Apostle came back in Romans saying, the more you give yourself law, the more you fuel sin nature and sin will always find itself working in such believer. Remove the law and replace with the Holy Spirit, yielding to the Holy Spirit....then you have no law to break. Galatians 5:22-23..."against such THERE IS NO LAW".

I asked Bidam, if he still sees thou shall not commit adultery of under the law as the same as thou shall not commit adultery under the New Testament? The young man can't answer honestly. Adultery is of two fold - to one's spouse and to God. When you worship other god in any form, be it money or something else, that is adultery. when you hate your fellow, that is murder, not necessarily killing. When you covet, that's stealing even thou you haven't physically stolen the item etc. These are all reason why the working of the Holy Spirit is from within NOT as though something that is written on a chalk board for a child counting 123 or ABC! After the child had known how to count these 123 or ABC to whatever, does he or she still need the chalk board? That's how the Holy Spirit and the guidance of the law is to us believers.

Scripture says the law had been replaced with the Holy Spirit. The more believers keeping going back to the law as guidnaces, the more they keep empowering and fueling the sleeping sin nature and sin will always have dominion. The reason sin shall not have dominion is because we are not under the guidance of the law but of the Spirit. Therefore, thou shall not commit covet, murder, commit adultery etc as per the 10 commandments givens to national Israel when it resurfaced to believers is NOT BECAUSE THE LAW SAID SO BUT BECAUSE WHAT REPLACED THE LAW (HOLY SPIRIT IN YOU) DOES NOT ALIGN WITH SUCH PRACTICES. So, you read, the fruit of the Holy Spirit is LOVE which is the also fulfillment of the LAW. Then it is no longer according to the law of sin and death as given by Moses written on stones BUT law of the HOLY SPIRIT, meaning the law of moses was a guidance but now, the Holy Spirit is the guidance. That's why it is called the law of the (Holy) Spirit of life. Apostle Paul is NOT placing believers under the duty to keep the WHOLE laws of Moses else, he would be building again the Judaism he already tore down and therefore become a sinner unto God.

If there's more explanation, I will add but that's how far I can explain for now.

1 Like

Re: Must Christians Observe The Law Of Moses? by shdemidemi(m): 10:18pm On Aug 05, 2013
Do you even read responses at all? You ask the same questions all the time, I am done with you bro.
Re: Must Christians Observe The Law Of Moses? by MostHigh: 10:20pm On Aug 05, 2013
JesusisLord85:

Brother, did that verse not say "Christians"? or was it "pentecostal"? If neither of the above, surely it meant 'baptist'?

LWTMB
Re: Must Christians Observe The Law Of Moses? by JesusisLord85: 10:22pm On Aug 05, 2013
shdemidemi: Do you even read responses at all? You ask the same questions all the time, I am done with you bro.

I have observes your modus operandi for past couple months, I do as I please. You, my friend, are so steeped in false teaching it is funny, yet serious.
You want me to rip out two third of the bible and follow you to hell abi. Gerrout
Re: Must Christians Observe The Law Of Moses? by shdemidemi(m): 10:22pm On Aug 05, 2013
MostHigh:

child of the little horn smiley

Like your father you earnestly seek to change the traditions and customs of the most high God

All I did there was quote scripture, are you against some part of the scriptures?
Re: Must Christians Observe The Law Of Moses? by MostHigh: 10:26pm On Aug 05, 2013
Goshen360: 6He has enabled us to be ministers of his new covenant. This is a covenant not of written laws, but of the Spirit. The old written covenant ends in death; but under the new covenant, the Spirit gives life.

7The old way, with laws etched in stone, led to death, though it began with such glory that the people of Israel could not bear to look at Moses’ face. For his face shone with the glory of God, even though the brightness was already fading away.

8Shouldn’t we expect far greater glory under the new way, now that the Holy Spirit is giving life?

9If the old way, which brings condemnation, was glorious, how much more glorious is the new way, which makes us right with God!

10In fact, that first glory was not glorious at all compared with the overwhelming glory of the new way.

11So if the old way, which has been replaced, was glorious, how much more glorious is the new, which remains forever!

12Since this new way gives us such confidence, we can be very bold.

13We are not like Moses, who put a veil over his face so the people of Israel would not see the glory, even though it was destined to fade away.

14But the people’s minds were hardened, and to this day whenever the old covenant is being read, the same veil covers their minds so they cannot understand the truth. And this veil can be removed only by believing in Christ.

15Yes, even today when they read Moses’ writings, their hearts are covered with that veil, and they do not understand.

16But whenever someone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away.

17For the Lord is the Spirit, and wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.

18So all of us who have had that veil removed can see and reflect the glory of the Lord. And the Lord—who is the Spirit—makes us more and more like him as we are changed into his glorious image.

1 Corinthians 3

The Apostle Paul labbelled the 10 commandments here written on stones as ministry of death and condemnation. Why would he do that? Since we know what he taught was by Christ's revelation. On the other hand, the same Apostle re-introduced or re-surfaced the 10 commandments to the NT believers saying:

The commandments, "You shall not commit adultery," "You shall not murder," "You shall not steal," "You shall not covet," and whatever other command there may be, are summed up in this one command: "Love your neighbor as yourself." Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law. Romans 13:9-10

Well then, am I suggesting that the law of God is sinful? Of course not! In fact, it was the law that showed me my sin. I would never have known that coveting is wrong if the law had not said, "You must not covet." But sin used this command to arouse all kinds of covetous desires within me! If there were no law, sin would not have that power. Romans 7:7-8

Now, we have to pay close attention to these things. How will Apostle Paul say the 10 commandments are ministry of death and condemnation and on the other hand praised the law? The scriptures in 1 Corinthians 3 referring to the national Israel NOT the church. In the case of national Israel, when these thou shall not was given it ministered death and condemnation to them BUT when the Holy Spirit was given, it ministered life on the day of Pentecost. What is the difference? Are Christians to commit adultery, murder, steal etc because it wasn't given to us they way it was given to national Israel? NO!

What Paul is saying is it is NOT the written law on stones that guides a believer no more but the Holy Spirit. 1 Corinthians 3:8. The law (as written on stones) served as a guide until we receive the Holy Spirit indwelling us and telling us (by the already knowledge of sin through the law) adultery is bad, murdering is bad, coveting is bad. So, many Christians are still obeying thou shall not commit adultery because the law of Moses said so, NO! It is the Spirit in believers that kicks against such acts.

The Apostle came back in Romans saying, the more you give yourself law, the more you fuel sin nature and sin will always find itself working in such believer. Remove the law and replace with the Holy Spirit, yielding to the Holy Spirit....then you have no law to break. Galatians 5:22-23..."against such THERE IS NO LAW".

I asked Bidam, if he still sees thou shall not commit adultery of under the law as the same as thou shall not commit adultery under the New Testament? The young man can't answer honestly. Adultery is of two fold - to one's spouse and to God. When you worship other god in any form, be it money or something else, that is adultery. when you hate your fellow, that is murder, not necessarily killing. When you covet, that's stealing even thou you haven't physically stolen the item etc. These are all reason why the working of the Holy Spirit is from within NOT as though something that is written on a chalk board for a child counting 123 or ABC! After the child had known how to count these 123 or ABC to whatever, does he or she still need the chalk board? That's how the Holy Spirit and the guidance of the law is to us believers.

Scripture says the law had been replaced with the Holy Spirit. The more believers keeping going back to the law as guidnaces, the more they keep empowering and fueling the sleeping sin nature and sin will always have dominion. The reason sin shall not have dominion is because we are not under the guidance of the law but of the Spirit. Therefore, thou shall not commit covet, murder, commit adultery etc as per the 10 commandments givens to national Israel when it resurfaced to believers is NOT BECAUSE THE LAW SAID SO BUT BECAUSE WHAT REPLACED THE LAW (HOLY SPIRIT IN YOU) DOES NOT ALIGN WITH SUCH PRACTICES. So, you read, the fruit of the Holy Spirit is LOVE which is the also fulfillment of the LAW. Then it is no longer according to the law of sin and death as given by Moses written on stones BUT law of the HOLY SPIRIT, meaning the law of moses was a guidance but now, the Holy Spirit is the guidance. That's why it is called the law of the (Holy) Spirit of life. Apostle Paul is NOT placing believers under the duty to keep the WHOLE laws of Moses else, he would be building again the Judaism he already tore down and therefore become a sinner unto God.

If there's more explanation, I will add but that's how far I can explain for now.

Another recipe for headache smiley

GOSHEN DO I NEED TO OPEN ANOTHER THREAD FOR EZK 44 smiley

What are the ordinances of your priesthood, seeing that every priesthood must have ordinances?
Re: Must Christians Observe The Law Of Moses? by DrummaBoy(m): 10:28pm On Aug 05, 2013
JesusisLord85:

haha if obeying the commandments makes me a 'Judaizer', then God bless you for recognising this.
So God denouncing the superficial use of the law, how does that support the idea that he dissolved the law? God wants to be worshipped in spirit and truth.
When you can show me that Yashua was a Christian, then I will follow your teachings.
Lol your quote is hilarious "you would realize that the law was not the central point of the Jewish religion... it was Jehovah God and what he demanded from his people" :s
The torah is God's instruction for his people my friend, stop talking nonsense.

Let me show you what the bible says about the righteous:

Matthew 19:17
And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Luke 1:6
And they were both righteous before God,walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.

2 Peter 2:21
For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.

1 John 2:3
And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

1 John 2:4
He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1 John 3:22
And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.

1 John 3:24
And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

1 John 5:3
For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

2 John 1:6
And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.

Revelation 12:17
And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Revelation 14:12
Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus

Revelation 22:14
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

What do you people not understand about keeping the commandments? Or was John a false teacher?

How do these commandment equate the Mosaic laws

Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: 4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

These are the things the law of sin and death could not do but which the Law of Spirit of Life alone can do:

1. There is no condemnation for those who follow the law of Spirit of Life

2. The Law of Spirit of Life has made me free from the law of sin and death, the ministration of death

3. This law of sin and death could not fulfill the righteous requirement of God in men; Christ fulfilled this requirements and we receive them by faith.

Outside of all these there is no law to keep: anyone who follows such laws are JUDAIZERS

The commandments you listed above are of the law of Spirit of Life!
Re: Must Christians Observe The Law Of Moses? by Goshen360(m): 10:28pm On Aug 05, 2013
MostHigh and this JesusisLord are real hard to have a discussion with. I must commend Shdemidemi for his patience with them. Look at the way they are addressing a brother! Lord have mercy!
Re: Must Christians Observe The Law Of Moses? by JesusisLord85: 10:28pm On Aug 05, 2013
MostHigh:

Another recipe for headache smiley

GOSHEN DO I NEED TO OPEN ANOTHER THREAD FOR EZK 44 smiley

What are the ordinances of your priesthood, seeing that every priesthood must have ordinances?

I can't read this guys posts. His writing style gives me headache, He should send to shdemidemi for editing abeg
Re: Must Christians Observe The Law Of Moses? by shdemidemi(m): 10:31pm On Aug 05, 2013
JesusisLord85:

I have observes your modus operandi for past couple months, I do as I please. You, my friend, are so steeped in false teaching it is funny, yet serious.
You want me to rip out two third of the bible and follow you to hell abi. Gerrout
Unlike you, my salvation is sealed because Christ is in me and I in him.

Ephesians 1
11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:

12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.

13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.
Re: Must Christians Observe The Law Of Moses? by MostHigh: 10:32pm On Aug 05, 2013
shdemidemi:

All I did there was quote scripture, are you against some part of the scriptures?

O you did far more than that smiley

But just like Yashau and Judas you have your purpose as I have mine in the divine plan.

And I shall SEPERATE the SHEEP from the GOAT.
Re: Must Christians Observe The Law Of Moses? by Goshen360(m): 10:33pm On Aug 05, 2013
JesusisLord85:

I can't read this guys posts. His writing style gives me headache, He should send to shdemidemi for editing abeg

That's the reason you know nothing because you want to read only what you write and it's obvious you not paying attention to what others say and you claim to be a teacher. How do you learn when you don't listen to others. That makes you argue blindly and end of in confusing yourself. Even many scriptures you quote are saying contrary to what you saying. Good luck to you!
Re: Must Christians Observe The Law Of Moses? by JesusisLord85: 10:35pm On Aug 05, 2013
shdemidemi:
Unlike you, my salvation is sealed because Christ is in me and I in him.

Ephesians 1
11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:

12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.

13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

Oh I love it when you talk nonsense to me. Did you not say all I must do is 'believe'?
Definition: "Accept the statement of (someone) as true"
And since you say I can never be un-saved, I am free to mock you and still make heaven. So why are you now saying I am not sealed lol. Oh you do make me chuckle.

Let me tell you what a man of God said:
1 John 2:4"He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

I guess this verse was for the Jews only, while the gentiles are free to sleep with 7 virgins and go to the same heaven, judged by a different yardstick? Or do you reckon I just tear out everything in my bible, save the writings of Rabbi Shaul (Paul)?
Re: Must Christians Observe The Law Of Moses? by JesusisLord85: 10:37pm On Aug 05, 2013
Goshen360:

That's the reason you know nothing because you want to read only what you write and it's obvious you not paying attention to what others say and you claim to be a teacher. How do you learn when you don't listen to others. That makes you argue blindly and end of in confusing yourself. Even many scriptures you quote are saying contrary to what you saying. Good luck to you!

Nope, didn't claim to be a teacher.
I can't read your stuff because my brain genuinely goes numb. I do read shdemidemi's, so I don't only read my stuff. But demi's is comedy for me. It's like when I watch CNN before I go to bed and listen to the hilarious things uneducated Americans say

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

If God Truly Forgive Us Our Sins, What Then Is Karma? / Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. / What Makes Rich Men To Steal?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.