Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,204 members, 7,822,058 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:56 AM

Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World (30472 Views)

Ben-Bruce Mocked Buhari With The Age Of His Ministers(Photos) / Employers Of Labour Should Consider Men Of Marriageable Age / Women Are Still Banned From These Things In Various Places Around The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by devour129: 3:34pm On Jul 21, 2013
ShyM-X:

Sir, I believe in the responsibility to protect(R2P) and being your brother's keeper. However, before you can "protect" or take a stand with the next person - there has to be a form of willingness and solidarity from the affected party. We can't just fight for people who aren't willing to fight and free themselves from the shackles of medievality - else it will be counterproductive and we won't get our desired results. It has to be of collective agreement between the affected party and those willing to support their stand. Northerners have to take a stand first - then we'll stand with by them - and fight against it together.

Also, slavery wasn't stopped because the culprits wanted to stop it. It was stopped due to revolting and belligerent slaves and how they made it less lucrative. The slaves took a stand and the liberal minded folks supported them. Same with the civil rights movement, fight against colonialism, and fight against apartheid.

I know change is the only constant thing in life, however, if want to make the change a permanent one - it has to be a bottom-up change. Even if we're able to fight and make under-age marriages illegal - will that stop them from doing it? I believe prostitution, child labour, sex with minor etc. are illegal in Nigeria, however, has that stopped people from engaging in those acts with impunity? We need to start off by fighting to make our institutions (especially the judiciary and the police force) effective and helping in mass education of our Northern brothers and sisters. Then, they'll be prepared to take a stand and we can also stand next to them, to achieve the desired result. Window dressing approach will never work.

Right and wrong, good and bad, and black and white - they all depend on human consciousness and outlook to life. In-betweeners will always have it better due to their non-commitment to either side. But, some will say everything isn't black and white, and gray is more like it.

However, I believe under-age marriage is wrong based on my outlook to life. But there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. When I fight, I like to fight - to achieve results. I want people I'm fighting for/with take a stand and testify with me, however, that isn't the case here. If I take a stand, I'll look more like a Lone Ranger. And that's the crux of the matter here.
I get where you are coming from n I stand by you.most of the educated northerners haven't said much so let's let them be.this hardly happens in the east anymore so I have no fear.infact it's impossible to get a help from the east cos every mother wants their kids to be educated and to be close home.i laugh when some people say we like money too much.go to the east and give a mother money to give you her daughter let her not call you a ritualist.ndi Hausa Uche nama

1 Like

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Chinwem(f): 3:34pm On Jul 21, 2013
ba7man: Marrying/Sex with kids is wrong. END OF STORY!!! Because some people engage in it doesn't make it right.
luvmijeje: Warning! It's now time to start quoting intelligent posts which means the posters are intelligent, humane and good people. They are the type of posters we need more in this country.
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by JaaizTech: 3:42pm On Jul 21, 2013
Marriage is a cultural issue and also a personal issue, I sincerely believe that if not for the intent of antagonising one and other, this won't be generating so much controversy.
My intent is to first state the Islamic point view. Islam does not stipulate an age for a girl to get married, but what Islam says is that when a girl attains the age of puberty, the parents should hasten to Marry her to a suitable person. The age of puberty varies and hence no particular age is stipulated. in the past whether in European, African or Arabian culture marriage was contracted early, sometimes below 10. Did this practice in itself mean an end of the world for the girls, did it make them lesser human beings or immensely detrimental to their well-being is the question to be asked. If Hausa culture encourages early marriage I think we should all respect that, none of us love those girls being married out early more than their parents, so let us stop pretending we care that much.
Marriage is not a death sentence or an end of the road, for anyone. I am married with 2 kids and my wife is still schooling, so also are many people that I know. if truly, we care about the age of the girl, then why are our girls so sexually active at JSS level, I remember vividly, Sandra and Eniola, they were between 13 - 15, even though fully grown, when boys (university boys ) were already after them, they had no intentions of marrying them but to just have fun. These are things we should show disgust at, why not ask for a legislation against fornication, if truly we are sincere.

3 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by danny301: 3:45pm On Jul 21, 2013
It amazes me how every body is fighting as if under-age marriage is the only problem Nigeria is having...I think under-age marriage should be the least of our worries, at-least for now. I'm a Christian to the core and I do not subscribe to under-age marriage for whatever reason, however i feel, that with the way we are channeling all our energy to talk about this under-age marriage of a thing we are beginning to 'major in the minor while minoring in the major'. For crying out loud, the propounders of this early marriage of a thing didn't say every girl must marry at that age which means that the right of every Nigerian girl or parents to reject such offer has not being tempered with, so why all the noise?

There are other vitals issues in the constitution that have direct effects on Nigerians yet no body is mentioning them. The National Assembly has refused to grant financial autonomy to the Local Govt Areas which means that the LGA which is the closest government to the people would remain an appendage of the Governor(s) at the expense of the suffering masses and no one thinks that's an important issue to fight against. Now the N/A is talking about life time pension to her principal officers in a country where poverty is highly pronounced and nobody is fighting against that. Its believed that our political officer holders are the highest paid officers in the world even when an average Nigerian is not guaranteed a 2 square meal a day. For me, these and many other important issues are the real treat to Nigeria as a country or not the 'useless'under-age marriage of a thing. After all, Life is a choice, if somebody or a group of persons feel that marrying little girls is what is good for them, that's entirely their own business provided they do not infringe in other peoples' right.

1 Like

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by collynzo2(m): 3:46pm On Jul 21, 2013
ShyM-X:

grin grin grin grin grin

Bro, we live in a sick world. There are mofos out there phucking one another in their ar.ses and also mofos phucking animals in the ar.se. Also women who allow animals to phuck them. grin
So your solution is for everyone to have his way? Child marriage involves 'räpe' in many cases infact in all cases. Copulating with a child who isn't old enough to know what she's doing is räpe!

2 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by loswhite(m): 3:49pm On Jul 21, 2013
tha_originator: After some useless hypocritical christians will come here raining abuses on Islam even when their pastors are impregnating 6 years old girls in churches. Craze dey worry una!
dumb

1 Like

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by ALISMILE(m): 3:55pm On Jul 21, 2013
ShyM-X:

1. Sir, that isn't my point - my point is that: people should be allowed freedom to their way-of-life. The Northerner Senators voted overwhelmingly for it and no Northerner has come out to speak out against it, so why're Southerners crying-me-a-river over what has absolutely nothing to do with them? At the end of the day, they aren't forcing anyone to practise, it's just there to enable those who believe in it do what they think is right for them.

2. Right or wrong is subjective and also based on outlook. Beating a child and child labour are wrong to most people. However, it's normal in Africa. So who am I to judge what a person thinks is right or wrong? Also, I definitely won't allow my under-aged sister and daughter to get married because it isn't part of my way-of-life and the consciousness instilled in me by my parents. But I definitely won't stop anyone else who believes in it, from doing it. How a person chooses to lead his/her life is non of my business.

3. There are also tons of adults (old bodies with young souls) who can't handle all these as well - should we also stop them from getting married?

Lastly, life is all about choices and if the people it affects directly are in support of it - why should we be ones fighting against it? When Northerners/Muslims start fighting against it - then I'll support their cause. Till then, we need to stop the distractions and focus on Nigeria, and all the unique problems in the country.
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by loswhite(m): 4:00pm On Jul 21, 2013
Abagworo:

Nigerians and indeed most Africans suffer from mental slavery. We need to emancipate ourselves. Many of us now view traditional religion as inferior and satanic. Christianity is not better than Islam, Buddhism, Shintoism, African religion or even atheism. We should understand that all are religions with our original religion being Sango, Amadioha, Olokun etc.
how is it related to d topic? Did anybody stop u from worshiping ur Sango? If u think that opposing, getting married to underage kids,makes us mental slaves,then I don't knw what to call u, cos u r worst Dan dumb
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 4:06pm On Jul 21, 2013
danny301: It amazes me how every body is fighting as if under-age marriage is the only problem Nigeria is having...I think under-age marriage should be the least of our worries, at-least for now. I'm a Christian to the core and I do not subscribe to under-age marriage for whatever reason, however i feel, that with the way we are channeling all our energy to talk about this under-age marriage of a thing we are beginning to 'major in the minor while minoring in the major'. For crying out loud, the propounders of this early marriage of a thing didn't say every girl must marry at that age which means that the right of every Nigerian girl or parents to reject such offer has not being tempered with, so why all the noise?

There are other vitals issues in the constitution that have direct effects on Nigerians yet no body is mentioning them. The National Assembly has refused to grant financial autonomy to the Local Govt Areas which means that the LGA which is the closest government to the people would remain an appendage of the Governor(s) at the expense of the suffering masses and no one thinks that's an important issue to fight against. Now the N/A is talking about life time pension to her principal officers in a country where poverty is highly pronounced and nobody is fighting against that. Its believed that our political officer holders are the highest paid officers in the world even when an average Nigerian is not guaranteed a 2 square meal a day. For me, these and many other important issues are the real treat to Nigeria as a country or not the 'useless'under-age marriage of a thing. After all, Life is a choice, if somebody or a group of persons feel that marrying little girls is what is good for them, that's entirely their own business provided they do not infringe in other peoples' right.

Please explain how child marriage and its attendant costs - the high number of Almajaris being just one example - is the least of our concerns.

While you are it, I am interested in how you rationalise the 1 .2 million cases of Vasco Vagina Fistula (VVF) recorded in North-western states in Nigeria as of January this year also.

VVF prevalence soars in Nigeria

Nigeria has the highest prevalence of Vesico vaginal fistula (VVF) in the world with between 400,000 and 800,000 women living with the problem and about 20,000 new cases occurring annually, while 90 per cent are untreated. This implies that about 55 women are infected by VVF and 18,000 cases are untreated daily.

It is estimated that two million women suffer from obstetric fistula globally. In Nigeria alone, the north has over 85 per cent of these cases. But, the issue is often not discussed to end the practice responsible for the primary cause of VVF. Vesico vaginal fistula (VVF) is a direct communication between the bladder and vagina is resulting in leakage of urine into the vagina. This is a major gynecological problem in the country. It also occurs when the blood supply to the tissues of the vagina and the bladder is restricted during prolonged obstructed labour, the tissues die between these organs, forming holes through which urine can pass uncontrollably.

VVF is also sometimes referred to in the literature as Vesico-vaginal Fistula. In Nigeria, VVF has social, economic, and religious implications. Many women with VVF are regarded as social outcasts and marriages have been dissolved as a result of this. Many girls between the ages of 11 and 15 in the country become mothers either through early marriage or through unwanted pregnancy.
Source

BudgIT Infographic: Some relevant data on #ChildNotBride

by BudgIT

Lots of Nigerians have taken up issues with the senate’s constitutional amendment voting session last week and have launched a campaign against under-age marriage in the country.

Last week, 35 senators led by Ahmed Yerima had caused an amendment which would have struck out a problematic clause in the constitution to be defeated. The amendment sought to delete a constitutional provision which states that “Any married person is of full age.” The constitutional amendment committee wanted to state explicitly that full age is from 18 years, but Yerima and the 34 other senators were of the view that full age must be conferred on any married woman no matter her age. Yerima is currently married to a 17 year old.

BudgIT has produced this infographic which features some relevant information about under-age marriage, its prevalence and some of its deleterious effects.

Source

1 Like

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by babseg(m): 4:07pm On Jul 21, 2013
coogar:

so he's a pedo because he doesn't share your view? come on, you can do better than that!!!

Hey coogar, I wasn't expecting this from you and yes he is a pedo angry
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 4:08pm On Jul 21, 2013
babseg:
peado we know u now

This is not need for this kind of character assassination.
If you disagree, state your views and leave it at that.
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by babseg(m): 4:11pm On Jul 21, 2013
eGuerrilla:

This is not need for this kind of character assassination.
If you disagree, state your views and leave it at that.

If you share thief's view you are also a thief

2 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by coogar: 4:14pm On Jul 21, 2013
babseg:
Hey coogar, I wasn't expecting this from you and yes he is a pedo angry

he's not a pedo - state your views, destroy his argument and leave it at that. insulting him without making any point is kinda lame!

eGuerrilla:
Please explain how child marriage and its attendant costs - the high number of Almajaris being just one example - is the least of our concerns.

While you are it, I am interested in how you rationalise the 1 .2 million cases of Vasco Vagina Fistula (VVF) recorded in North-western states in Nigeria as of January this year also.

Source

BudgIT Infographic: Some relevant data on #ChildNotBride

Source

this assertion is wrong.....
early marriage is not the cause of VVF, that's just ridiculous. the sheer illiteracy in the north, the poor hygiene and the reluctance of these northern women to get antenatal care is the reason they have that high number of northen women suffering from the VVF.

nigeria is not the only country in the world that is practising child marriage so instead of you people to criticise other people's religion, fight your government to improve the primary health care in the north and provide education to these bush women!

3 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Anniettieufia(m): 4:14pm On Jul 21, 2013
To me the age issue has a lot more to do with female than male.

Any age @ which a male child starts getting financial and emotional matured he can adopt a wify .

For the female,
It is important to note that the taste of an egg and chicken are not the same,

inasmuchas they are both from the same source they are serve different cooking points

so, a young girl, no matter how pretty , grown , sexy or promising can serve the same Satisfaction of a wife,

A young girl can serve as a help, future hope, while waiting for her to acquire physical, emotional and marital maturity.
BUT @ WHAT AGE DID OUR SENATE FIX FOR NIGERIAN GIRLS ?
IF they really mean to work.
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by loswhite(m): 4:17pm On Jul 21, 2013
ihimami:

Mr. Shym-x, you have made a very important submissions here and I agree with you completely. One thing I have come to realize about most commentators from southern part of Nigeria, is that they feel they are more intelligent and have a superior view about social order just because of western influence. This is the same attitude the Western world is exhibiting by trying to foist their way of life on the world despite the negative effects to human civilization, or how do you explain the idea of man marrying another man. The family value system which we practice in Africa is slowly being eroded due to this western influence through main stream media houses and social media.
a senator that is 50 yrs old married to 13 yrs is worst than 2 consenting adult male that decide to get married. My point is Nigeria don't have any moral justification to jail a gay if their constitution permit marriage to underage .

1 Like

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by FRDChickenisha: 4:17pm On Jul 21, 2013
Shymmex,
Are you comparing a 13yr girl/ 14yr boy to a 13yr girl/50yr man marriage in Nigeria?

Jokes

1 Like

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by babseg(m): 4:22pm On Jul 21, 2013
coogar:

he's not a pedo - state your views, destroy his argument and leave it at that. insulting him without making any point is kinda lame!

Ok I hear you but can the op give me his 9 year old daughter to marry? If the op doesn't have one now I will wait even if I turn 100
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by loswhite(m): 4:24pm On Jul 21, 2013
ShyM-X:

Are all Nigerians the same ethnic groups with the same cultural values?

WTF is my business if some ragheads somewhere in the middle of the Sahara desert up North prefer child marriages? What has it got to do with me?

And what has people throwing twins in the forest got to do with me? - I'm Yoruba and we never threw twins in the forests - heck we worshipped them. I've got twins in my family and my ancestors were also twins. So that crap has nothing to do with me, and I could care less about those who practised it.

The earlier you lot understand that Africa doesn't have a homogeneous culture - the better for us all! undecided
is Nigerian constitution a regional constitution? Provided it is Nigerian constitution we all have the right to speak up as Nigerians and not as it is d north or south problem.
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by matrixme(m): 4:25pm On Jul 21, 2013
In this country, on the spectrum of morality, we are just on the other upper limit. How can we choose to suppress gay rights when we give consent to girls as young as 9 years to marry? I am not advocating for gay rights exactly, just expounding on our insincerity as a nation. Is marriage not a union between a man and a woman? So how exactly is a man and a girl and a man and a man distant from each other? If it doesn't fit perfectly, then it's just not right, I think

2 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 4:25pm On Jul 21, 2013
coogar:

early marriage is not the cause of VVF, that's just ridiculous. the sheer illiteracy in the north, the poor hygiene and the reluctance of these northern women to get antenatal care is the reason they have that high number of northen women suffering from the VVF.

nigeria is not the only country in the world that is practising child marriage so instead of you people to criticise other people's religion, fight your government to improve the primary health care in the north and provide education to these bush women!

No it is not.
Illiteracy in the North is itself a function of early marriage.
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by coogar: 4:26pm On Jul 21, 2013
babseg:
Ok I hear you but can the op give me his 9 year old daughter to marry? If the op doesn't have one now I will wait even if I turn 100

if you are a muslim and you appear responsible, you would be given a 9-year old daughter in any islamic state in the world with the full blessing of the bride's parents - that's just their religion!

eGuerrilla:
No it is not.
Illiteracy in the North is itself a function of early marriage.

how so?
early marriage suddenly removes the brain of these girls from their cranium? there are no married women studying in federal universities in nigeria? please drop the propaganda! the fault lies with the government, not the people.....

2 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by wirinet(m): 4:27pm On Jul 21, 2013
JaaizTech: Marriage is a cultural issue and also a personal issue, I sincerely believe that if not for the intent of antagonising one and other, this won't be generating so much controversy.
My intent is to first state the Islamic point view. Islam does not stipulate an age for a girl to get married, but what Islam says is that when a girl attains the age of puberty, the parents should hasten to Marry her to a suitable person. The age of puberty varies and hence no particular age is stipulated. in the past whether in European, African or Arabian culture marriage was contracted early, sometimes below 10. Did this practice in itself mean an end of the world for the girls, did it make them lesser human beings or immensely detrimental to their well-being is the question to be asked. If Hausa culture encourages early marriage I think we should all respect that, none of us love those girls being married out early more than their parents, so let us stop pretending we care that much.
Marriage is not a death sentence or an end of the road, for anyone. I am married with 2 kids and my wife is still schooling, so also are many people that I know. if truly, we care about the age of the girl, then why are our girls so sexually active at JSS level, I remember vividly, Sandra and Eniola, they were between 13 - 15, even though fully grown, when boys (university boys ) were already after them, they had no intentions of marrying them but to just have fun. These are things we should show disgust at, why not ask for a legislation against fornication, if truly we are sincere.

You are mixing up many issues just to defend your own interpretation of your religion. Many muslim nation would not agree to your islamic view that a child of 13yrs can marry. You should be aware that cultures evolve and changes according to the socio-economic situation of the time. In the olden days, early marriage was essential because, the economy was agro based and education -especially for women was non existent, so it was essential for women to leave their fathers house and produce as many able children for land owning men to tend the land. Also life expentancy was short due to wars, famine and diseases, so it was important for women to start producing babies as soon as possible to preserve the population. But now the situation is different, we now live in cities, and our economy is no longer based on agriculture. Women now needs to be educated to be able to contribute to society and the pressures to produce to preserve the population is no longer there. So forcing girls to marry old men at 13 is counter productive. All societies have passed through this phase so it is not just a northern or islamic thing. All societies and cultures of the world allowed 9 yr olds to be married at one point in their past, but they have realized the negative consequences in modern society of such practices. So I don't think it id proper for us to always try and reinvent the wheel and always learn from our mistakes.

The fact that a 13 is sexually active does not make her ready for marriage and motherhood, they are completely parallel issues with no relation to each other.

Just as it is difficult legislating against same se.x activities, it is difficult legislating and enforcing fornication because it is done by 2 consenting adults in the privacy of their homes. It is not a case of one party exploiting another.
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by jhydebaba(m): 4:33pm On Jul 21, 2013
In as much as they consent to marry kids, they should forget about divorce and polygamy. If they don't then these men are just selfish. Take a look at that he-goat who married one girl at 15, divorce at 17 or is it 19 so that he can marry another 13 years old, maybe after 5 years, he'll divorce again and marry 11years old and the trend continues like that till he breaks the record of marrying a day old chick.

3 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Akeud(m): 4:34pm On Jul 21, 2013
I'm saying capital NO to child marriage. A girl should be up to 18yrs b4 allowing to get married. And the age diff should not exceed 10yrs. Our leaders shouldn't make mistakes so that it woun't affect the upcoming leaders.

1 Like

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by bgirl: 4:35pm On Jul 21, 2013
ShyM-X:
Evidently it isn't just an Islamic thing, the same thing happens in different cultures around the world. Even the Vatican isn't left out of the party. So why the hoopla about something as irrelevant as this and the distraction it's causing from the real issues Nigerians ought to deal with right now?

Anyway, I don't believe in marriage as an institution - I think it needs to be redefined. However, people need to be allowed to lead their lives the way they want, as long as it's part of their culture.

This is the legal age of minors getting married to each other! i.e Two minors getting married to each other. An adult (19 and above) CANNOT get married to a minor. Do you see the difference? Please read up on statutory rape, then comeback and delete this ridiculous post.
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 4:36pm On Jul 21, 2013
coogar:
how so?
early marriage suddenly removes the brain of these girls from their cranium? there are no married women studying in federal universities in nigeria? please drop the propaganda! the fault lies with the government, not the people.....

What propaganda are you talking about here?

All I see is a cycle that perpetuates itself in a never ending loop: out of school girl child bride has a child; child, whether male of female, also drops out of school once conscripted into marital union.

Lest I be misunderstood, I am not suggesting this problem is the exclusive preserve of Northern Nigeria.
I see it in African-American communities and also within low-income groups in Britain. The difference between this cohort and the former is 'choice'.
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by babseg(m): 4:36pm On Jul 21, 2013
coogar]

if you are a muslim and you appear responsible, you would be given a 9-year old daughter in any islamic state in the world with the full blessing of the bride's parents - that's just their religion!

Not all religion laws or practices are sensible and I think this one is part of it.
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by gabbytabby: 4:41pm On Jul 21, 2013
coogar:

I tire for your understanding of the human biology if you thing VVF is due to illiteracy, poor hygiene and antenatal care. Please try read small before you show up your total lack of joined up thinking.

Abi the molestation wey una dey practice don dabaru una head finish? eya

Granted that not early marriage per say but VVF is prevalent in early pregnancy of a body that is not fully formed which is what happens in early marriages.

To you this is a debate or argument but to some of us that have young daughters its personal.
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by bgirl: 4:42pm On Jul 21, 2013
tha_originator: After some useless hypocritical christians will come here raining abuses on Islam even when their pastors are impregnating 6 years old girls in churches. Craze dey worry una!

Lies. Which 6 year old girl has started menstruating to even be able to get pregnant Anyway, if pastors are doing it, it is wrong. Christians are not justifying it. We are standing against it and against any pastor who does it. Islam on the other hand justifies this atrocity.
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 4:49pm On Jul 21, 2013
Even in Saudi Arabia there is those who understand this debate is, largely, about the rights afforded to children.

Saudi Arabia slow to put an end to child marriage

A senior official in the Saudi Arabian Justice Ministry boldly declared that the government is finally going to attack a significant national problem: child marriage.

It’s not uncommon to hear about girls 12 years old or younger being forced to marry men in their 70s or 80s. For many years now, news stories about this problem have been tarnishing the Saudi government’s image.

“The ministry has adopted a clear stance on underage marriages, and the issue was raised to the regulators,” Mohammed al-Babetein, head of the Justice Ministry’s marriages department, told the al-Madina newspaper. “It supports setting unified regulations to deal with such practices, which will ensure the safety of young girls.”

The problem is, he made that statement more than a year ago, in April 2012. And that was hardly the first time. In fact, in 2009 the ministry announced that it intended to regulate the marriages of young girls. This came right after a court refused to nullify the forced marriage of an 8-year-old girl to a man in his late 50s. Then, in the spring of 2011 the Consultative Assembly, known as the Shura, recommended introducing a minimum age for marriage. The assembly advises the government on new laws but has no direct authority.

Finally, after so many years of fatuous promises, in April the Justice Ministry offered a draft regulation that would set 16 as the minimum age. This draft is riven with loopholes, however, including a provision that would allow the father to override the law under certain circumstances — even though fathers are usually the villains in these stories. They’re usually the ones who “sell” their preteen daughters to wealthy older men in exchange for a large dowry. The draft law also does not set out any penalties for violators.

Even some of the human-rights groups that lobbied hard for the new law recognize the problems. Equality Now, one of the key NGOs behind this campaign to end child marriage, remarked that “while these exemptions to the minimum age of marriage ... are still worrisome, it does indicate a step forward in offering protection to girls.”

The Human Rights Commission of Saudi Arabia called on King Abdullah to raise the minimum age to 18. After all, Saudi Arabia signed the United Nations Convention on the Rights of a Child, which states that girls under the age of 18 are “children.”

Given that it has taken so many years to get to this point, there’s still no assurance the bill will pass. When I called the Saudi embassy in Washington last week to ask about the bill, embassy officers said they knew nothing about it. Obviously it’s not a top-of-the-agenda item in Riyadh.

In fact, early this year, Saudi Justice Minister Mohammed Al Issa complained that “the marriage of underage girls in the country is not a phenomenon yet, as some claim,” and “those who say this are wrong.”

Equality Now is one of many groups that heartily disagrees. In 2010 it took on the case of 12-year-old Fatima, whose father sold her for marriage to a 50-year-old man who already had a wife and 10 children. Fatima managed to escape and finally did get a divorce this year, with help from Equality Now. And a 15-year-old who was married off to an 86-year-old man in Jizan in southeast Saudi Arabia, also managed to get a divorce in January, assisted by the Saudi Human Rights Commission.

Suad Abu-Dayyeh, Equality Now’s regional consultant, said: “This destruction of a girl’s childhood and absolute rejection of the possibility that she has something to offer is endemic in societies where girls are pawned off to the highest bidder.”

Clerics and religious judges generally oppose the proposed law, citing Shariah law that “does not allow Muslims to make pedophilia illegal,” as one anti-Muslim blogger put it.

But let’s hope this time that the Saudi leadership, with a draft law actually in hand, even if highly flawed, can overrule the nation’s extremists and finally begin tackling this terrible problem.

Source
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by wirinet(m): 4:50pm On Jul 21, 2013
coogar:

how so?

Please stop arguing off point. We are not arguing whether a girl can go to school while married or not, what we are against is parents selling their 13 yr old kids to old men as 3rd or 4th wife to old men using religion as an excuse. Ojukwu at almost 60 married bianca in her early 20's and no body condemnef them. What we are saying is let the girl reach an age she can make the decision of who she wants to marry herself, and not have her parents sell her off.

1 Like

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by loswhite(m): 4:52pm On Jul 21, 2013
JaaizTech: Marriage is a cultural issue and also a personal issue, I sincerely believe that if not for the intent of antagonising one and other, this won't be generating so much controversy.
nigerian constitution is not Islamic constitution. @ legislation against fornication goes a long way to expose ur dumbness. I would have love to educate u on the subject but I doubt if u will be able to comprehend. U too far jor

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Two Policemen Beating Up A Man This Morning / APC Rally For Rivers Rerun Election (Live Photos) / Gani Adams: Nigerians Oppress South Africans With Money Made From Drugs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.