Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,043 members, 7,835,516 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:14 AM

ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn (33543 Views)

Jonathan Demanded Metuh's Corporate Bank Account To Pay Some Money - Witness / List Of People That Have Demanded Boko Haram Amnesty / Arunma Oteh, SEC Boss, Says House Of Reps Members Demanded N44 Million Bribe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Rhemar(m): 2:07pm On Oct 02, 2013
Is it now that the govt's eyes is clear to know the demands cannot be met after agreeing and signing. rubbish!
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Gentleme1: 2:08pm On Oct 02, 2013
Now I know that the ASUU guys are being used by the opposition to make a mess of Jonathan's government. angry

#MayGodpunishThem

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by atlwireles: 2:08pm On Oct 02, 2013
timpaker:

make them stop the salary na. Enough is enough!
If we can't hold the government by their words then i don't think we deserve anything from them

You are still getting paid? Oh my God.
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Samgreguc(m): 2:09pm On Oct 02, 2013
berem: There's nothing outrageous about the money.The education sector needs proper funding.If our leaders can send their kids to foreign schools that are well funded,why should they not equally fund our own universities to meet up to international standard? The money required is small compared to the excessive looting going on in the presidency. angry
Rubbish!
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by maronih: 2:09pm On Oct 02, 2013
Ayed44: . This demand is outrageous. ASUU is not d only the problem facing Nigeria, there are other problems all over d place. In as much as i'm in support of ASUU trying to make d FG to provide basic infrastrucure in our universities, we should note dat turning around d infrastructure in d universities cannot be achieved in 4 short years. It is going to be a gradual and continous process. Let us be realistic!
Guy u ar bless with a beautiful brain, u make sense joor. Just keep it up.
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by ITbomb(m): 2:09pm On Oct 02, 2013
Dospix: no matter the amount of money pumped into our universities if the lecturers do not change from their lackadaisical attitude towards their fundamental responsibility, our tertiary institutions will still keep dancing in feces.
It is a question of which came first, the egg or the hen.
The same Nigerian lecturer were shining stars in the 70s and even 80s when the facilities were world standard and adequate.
The same Nigerian lecturers are outstanding when given the opportunity oversea
The same Nigerian lecturers can also be responsible and outstanding if the facilities now are improve to world standard

1 Like

Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Samgreguc(m): 2:10pm On Oct 02, 2013
berem: There's nothing outrageous about the money.The education sector needs proper funding.If our leaders can send their kids to foreign schools that are well funded,why should they not equally fund our own universities to meet up to international standard? The money required is small compared to the excessive looting going on in the presidency. angry
RUBBISH
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Eminey: 2:10pm On Oct 02, 2013
0monnakoda: You are the one who is lazy and unthinking. Nigeria cannot afford? $7 Billion over what period 1 week ,1 month? I would rather not have fuel subsidy than the rubbish our Universities churn out much of which is on display on Nairaland. Nigerians spend billions on private universities and foreign ones too. We need to have a debate about HOW university education is funded. Going forward it probably should not be free and students need to pay more realistic fees.Government should decide to privatize many if not all the universities. Apart from corruption there is a lot of waste in our government eg Presidential jets ,Aso rock Feeding budget etc.
In just one year GEJ spent over 1 trilion naira that was NOT in the budget n fraudulent SUBSIDY bills so it is not true there is no money but even if there is money . I still argue students should pay tuition,and standards shoud be raised so our Universities can be competitive and PROFITABLE
So y d false accusation?..I trillion dat's not budgeted?Haba!...y?
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by eagleeye2: 2:10pm On Oct 02, 2013
Decryptor: These ASUU lectures are bunch of greedy pigs. They are demanding for the money for selfish reasons. the other time that they went on strike, a lecturer whom i know very well in UNIABUJA who was riding a motorcycle bought a Sequior jeep after the FG answered them. Thieves...what makes them different from those senators? mtchewwwwwww
Ehhhhhhmmmmm, when you graduate make you join them dey lecture or better still become a Politician or a pastor.
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Nobody: 2:13pm On Oct 02, 2013
Zuby..i see you sir!!!
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by obinoral(m): 2:16pm On Oct 02, 2013
Look at how this man called trillions as if he is caling hundreds. And they have all received their september salary without working.........what pains me most is that am cut in this mess and it pains me more.......... Government should implement the no work no pay for all and sundry... May God help us in this country. 800 billion ko 8 kobo ni....

1 Like

Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by virtuousMe(f): 2:17pm On Oct 02, 2013
ASUU's demand is not outrageous, the government can actually meet this demand if they want to. For those of you castigating ASUU, do a little mathmatics, you will be shocked at what will finally get to each university. Our police budget after sharing, each station gets N2000, is that enough to run a station for one day?
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by obinoral(m): 2:18pm On Oct 02, 2013
deemehjee: Zuby..i see you sir!!!
which zubby you see hope nt zubby77? and ur moniker rings a bell but hope it is nt what am thinking.
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by olumuyiolaoluwa: 2:19pm On Oct 02, 2013
Are there no Universities in Nigeria,3 trioooooooooooooooooooooooooooon for new Universities to be Planted.? mehnnnnnn Money dey `LECTURING`
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Mrshroud: 2:20pm On Oct 02, 2013
ASUU! Why?? Why?? Why??
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Nobody: 2:21pm On Oct 02, 2013
obinoral: which zubby you see hope nt zubby77? and ur moniker rings a bell but hope it is nt what am thinking.

lolz..the same
wat u thnkin of
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Alexcollins(m): 2:21pm On Oct 02, 2013
profola2be:
And you should have told your LOW thinking President not to have entered into an Agreement it can't fulfil!
and if U̶̲̥̅̊ were high thinking U̶̲̥̅̊ would have known D̶̲̥̅̊@t GEJ was not d president wen D̶̲̥̅̊@t agreement was reached. Its obvious U̶̲̥̅̊ R not matured in thinking.
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Dannyxy(m): 2:21pm On Oct 02, 2013
Lazy,incoherent pple,what do they want ? They should cme out clearly and tell us fortissimoly,they should stop decieving nigerian student..
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by badmus306(m): 2:25pm On Oct 02, 2013
To pay 130BILLIOOOOOON nah issue, c dea mouth like 3TRILLION, *** nah TOGO go sure pass grin
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Funpeter: 2:26pm On Oct 02, 2013
ASUU you can strike am not against it even if i still have friends, brothers and sister in school, "According to what you said it for the betterment of our school" but what can you say to those people who have graduated and only waiting for service? Guess they cant benefit from your struggle now am sure they will later. My candid advice order all your members who are in senate too sit and approved student result cos dey ave missed Batch A, B and C of 2013 of the compulsory one year service so as not miss the next one which is next year march.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by harlyma: 2:27pm On Oct 02, 2013
Wat a country...God wil help our education sector
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by timpaker(m): 2:27pm On Oct 02, 2013
Dospix: I cannot be deceived. We all know that the reason why they are yet to call off the strike is because the federal government is yet to give them their full allowances. I am also not exonerating the federal government from the whole strike saga, what i am saying is that, no matter the amount of money pumped into our universities if the lecturers do not change from their lackadaisical attitude towards their fundamental responsibility, our tertiary institutions will still keep dancing in feces.

This is not about 'allowances', if you have followed past ASUU strikes you'd judge better. I agree with you that the attitude of lectures have not bn impressive but you should know most lecturers are forced to give up their passion for lecturing cuz of the situation they find themselves. Imagine you as a lecturer lecturing about 300 pupils in a class that should contain about 100 and you have to lecture in batches, how do you exact excellence in the students when the class rooms are not well ventilated, or the laboratory equipment well enough to cater for such students?

The truth is that most of this politician benefited from the University when the standard was something to recon with so why are they making it look like investing is education is a taboo or irrelevant?

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by iamjp87(m): 2:27pm On Oct 02, 2013
There's something wrong about this information. The person who put it on this platform got the wrong version of it...the actual amount is N1.3trn and not N3trn....though I have read it elsewhere and I saw the same thing (N3trn), but the figure is wrong...for the records, in line with the Mou signed last year by both parties, the FG is to inject N100bn last year, N400bn this year, the same amount next year and in 2015, making a total of N1.3trn. So it's either the man has been misquoted or there is a measure of propaganda.
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Nobody: 2:28pm On Oct 02, 2013
for pete's that dough is damm too much and outrageous of a demand,its not as if da govt doesnt have da dough but simply cannot channel da mints to da ASUU demand alone and those eggheads should be considerate and make do with whats on ground while engaging n maintaining dialogue.. Da president has been there b4 n understands n i know hes not comfortable with d strike....n i sincerely wish you will explain what u mean by "excessive looting going on in da presidency!!!" or perharps u wanted to say da nass....
Anyway,i too got a kid sister,jambite at Uniben,so ASUU n da fed govt should shift grounds...
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Sike(m): 2:29pm On Oct 02, 2013
WHATEVER! Just call it OFF. My kid brother don forget his Matric number already. Haba!!
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by engrfcuksmtin(m): 2:35pm On Oct 02, 2013
Going by the coments on the topic made me to conclude that Nigeria has no future. Nigerians will always leave leprosy to cure ringworm. 3 Trillion on univeesity education for 3years agreed may not be realistic but what will 130billion do to raise infracstructures, improve staff welfare, fund research and place 1 of our university among the 1st 20 in the world?
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by McLuhan(m): 2:41pm On Oct 02, 2013
bloggernaija: These guys like the politicians are a bunch of jokers .
Lazy ,unthinking typical Nigerian .
In that organisation ,is there nobody there to do the maths that Nigeria cannot afford that much money ,even if the country was not corrupt?
That is about $7 billion in a country where over 50% are very very poor.
Fellow Nigerians, let's use our brains for once. The amount being bandied around represents the estimated cost of overhauling all the federal and state universities in Nigeria over a four-year period. This includes infrastructural costs such as the construction and equipping of libraries, laboratories, ultra-modern lecture theatres, studios, research facilities, simulators, offices, etc. It would also take care of take-off grants, research grants, conference funding, staff development, international collaboration, affiliation and liaison, personnel-related costs, and other overhead and capital appropriations in ALL government-owned universities in Nigeria.

Note that this was what government agreed to do, having cognisance of the decrepitude of our universities. This intervention was to be carried out in stages beginning with a four-year initial period. But in its customary tardiness and tepidity, government simply forgot about its written commitments and never implemented them.

Note too that the quoted amount is less than the annual budget of Harvard University alone. Note also that even a smaller country such as Ghana spends much more money per capita on tertiary education. And yet government wants us to believe that Nigeria is soon becoming one of the 20 most developed countries of the world. And yet we want our universities to be listed among the best in the world.

Consider too that government spent more than 3 trillion naira to bail out private banks - note, PRIVATE banks - during the banking sector crisis. Consider also that President Jonathan unilaterally extended an unsolicited financial largesse to Nollywood. Is it too much, then, to ask government to bail out ITS OWN universities - universities which government itself has admitted neglecting for a long time and which have become a national embarrassment and a laughing stock in global academic circles?

Let no one deceive us that government cannot afford it. It certainly can! Is this not the same country where a petroleum minister's children own private jets? Haven't we seen the pictures on the Internet? Is this not the same country that pays its Senate President more than 88 million naira monthly, as reported by The Punch? Is this not the same country where the President receives an annual feeding allowance of roughly a billion naira? Does Nigeria not boast the most expensive national legislature in the entire world? Are many of our governors not richer than some African countries? Do I need to mention names? Have we asked one of our most pugnacious governors in the South-South how much his private refinery is worth?

Let's stop blackmailing these lecturers. They are not the cause of Nigeria's downfall; neither are they the bane of our university system. Our corrupt politicians are, and until we hold them to account, Nigeria will still be the butt of coarse jokes all over the civilised world.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by McLuhan(m): 2:42pm On Oct 02, 2013
bloggernaija: These guys like the politicians are a bunch of jokers .
Lazy ,unthinking typical Nigerian .
In that organisation ,is there nobody there to do the maths that Nigeria cannot afford that much money ,even if the country was not corrupt?
That is about $7 billion in a country where over 50% are very very poor.
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Samgreguc(m): 2:42pm On Oct 02, 2013
timpaker: Many people may not know this but the strike has nothing to do with lecturers allowances or welfare as wildly speculated, the issue is adequate funding of the universities. All ASUU want is adequate funding and nothing more.
OUTDATED HUMAN BEING!
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by timpaker(m): 2:44pm On Oct 02, 2013
Samgreguc:

please enlighten me. cool

1 Like

Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by matrixme(m): 2:46pm On Oct 02, 2013
na waa o. See How they are even refering themselves as the dog that the tail should not wag. Do they now imply that a university lecturer is the peak of achievement in this nation? Bunch of lazy set of workers who cannot even boast of ensuring the self reliance of their students, not to talk of advancing the cause of the nation. I think that ASUU is also one of the problems in this nation. Self-proclaimed intellectuals, waiting for the dumb government to save them. I believe when you're a real intellectual, you don't have to advertise yourself. I wonder what good ideal they have rendered to the country apart from the strike they are known for collectively and the half-baked graduates they pour out of the system annually. What research/university-associated product has entered the mainstream market in the past 10 years apart from University table water and bread? At least they can't say they haven't been doing any research for that long with the available resources. If I we're a university lecturer, I would pull out of this system of mediocrity because I would rather not my name be associated with it! That is why I never hope to become a university lecturer in the first place, such a dull an uninteresting career it must be!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Boko Haram Loses Fighters As Air Force, Army Repel Attack On Bita Village / I Was One Of The Most Recruited Graduate Of My University - Bola Tinubu (Video) / Obaseki Gives Rapper Razaly N10m With 3-Year Record Deal (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.