Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,842 members, 7,828,071 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:24 PM

Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby (36128 Views)

9 Baby Names Banned By Governments / How To Make My Baby Hair Soft / How Do I Treat Navel Pain In My Baby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Nobody: 11:04pm On Nov 09, 2013
willibounce: @ least young ladies wud learn never to marry an 'educated illiterate'. Some men are educated, yet very backward.

High academic attainment is not a guarantee of sound mind.

Tell it!
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Nobody: 11:05pm On Nov 09, 2013
Your husband should rather be happy that his son would be able to speak three different languages (Yoruba, English, Esan) without struggling learning it.

Believe it or not, you guys should have a very long talk on his insecurity. I can stake on it that, you're not earning as much as he is. The moment you starting making progress than him, you'd see the real bad side of him. Better discuss it now before that time comes.

2 Likes

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Harddaysnight(m): 11:07pm On Nov 09, 2013
sCun: Bros that is the reality o! Most of these girls who act all powerful and feminist on Nairaland are actually being used as rags by men in real life. Some girls can be so fake.
yeah my bruh, we are very right on this. these set of females need help urgently before its too late. living two lives is not healthy for anybody. I just hope this one will be saved.
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Abagworo(m): 11:07pm On Nov 09, 2013
I understand the man's fears. Esan is a minority language with about 2million speakers while Yoruba is a majority language with over 50million speakers. If his son learns Yoruba 1st he might not have the zeal to learn his minority language. Why don't they do it the Igbo way and let the child speak only English.
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Mujah1deen: 11:07pm On Nov 09, 2013
chineloSA:

Continue luv. Stop resisting as well. You cant divorce because of this cheesy cheesy cheesy
you still have some virtues left in you after all. Thumbs up for your comments on this thread.

@op stop fronting and as he wishes. His son is Esan. Your Yoruba munjo bunjo must/will come after.
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Nobody: 11:08pm On Nov 09, 2013
wjy come to nairaland and whinge? why dont you go to your hubby and resolve the issue as adults do? Many sanctimonious fellows here have far shittier lives than you and pretend to be holier than thou

1 Like

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Jiteshell(f): 11:08pm On Nov 09, 2013
yellowpawpaw: Madam, to stay in marriage and make marriage a success, one has to employ wisdom. At times small small issues like this compounds to bigger problems that lead to abuse or divorce.
Its not everything we ought to complain about.
If ur hubby said he want his baby to speak his language only, by all means accept and teach him that. That way he will c u as a submissive wife and peace will reign.
Meanwhile, u said he speaks ur own language very well. All good!
Converse with him in ur language sometimes. I tell u baby is learning. Sing in ur language, baby is learning.
U go out with baby, u speak ur language to baby. Infact, where is ur number six?
Children r capable iof learning up to 4 diff languages at a time.
Stop raising issues where there is none.
Meanwhile, u r married to him not the other way round.
Ur reaction is unneccessary.
you make it look like it's only the woman that is married and not the man. Did he not get married to her too?

2 Likes

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by gothrones(m): 11:09pm On Nov 09, 2013
@OP

If there is one thing I hope that you have learned, it is that you should never ever bring your marital problems to obodo Nairaland again. See as dem don yab your husband finish. grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Nobody: 11:09pm On Nov 09, 2013
Wonders shall never end. In the minds of Nigerian men, wife=slave.

After suffering through pregnancy, giving birth and then spending her entire life taking care of the child, the man still decides every single decision they take concerning the child because one fabricated book said that women should be submissive and men must always be the head regardless of whether they have leadership skills or not.

Women have really suffered.

5 Likes

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Nobody: 11:09pm On Nov 09, 2013
Many people on here commenting are not being fair.

Do you really think that once the wife starts speakin yoruba, she would let the kid learn Esan? You're joking. The husband should stand his ground on this one. Why must the child learn Yoruba now?

Can this question be answered please?

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by cynhamscakes(f): 11:10pm On Nov 09, 2013
If the child belongs to the man totally, so the woman is just an incubator and baby pumping machine?

Is the mothers DNA and blood not part of the make up of the Child's DNA and blood?

The last time I checked, without a woman's fertile egg, a foetus cannot be formed!!! Abi only sperm cells fit form pikin?

So the entire 9 long months of pregnancy and intense labour is all just to pump kids out solely for the man and the woman fades away?
Ha!!!!!! Africans and our mentality!!!!!!

4 Likes

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by gothrones(m): 11:11pm On Nov 09, 2013
@divine2043
Let the woman speak Yoruba to the child and let the man speak Esan to the child.

3 Likes

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Abagworo(m): 11:11pm On Nov 09, 2013
divine2043: Many people on here commenting are not being fair.

Do you really think that once the wife starts speakin yoruba, she would let the kid learn Esan? You're joking. The husband should stand his ground on this one. Why must the child learn Yoruba now?

Can this question be answered please?

We have so many examples like this fresh one on culture section.

www.nairaland.com/1511360/it-too-late-me-learn
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Afam4eva(m): 11:11pm On Nov 09, 2013
De Beauvoir: Wonders shall never end. In the minds of Nigerian men, marriage=slavery.

After suffering through pregnancy, giving birth and then spending her entire life taking care of the child, the man still decides every single decision they take concerning the child because one fabricated book said that women should be submissive and men must always be the head regardless of whether they have leadership skills or not.

So, do you suggest the Man now submits himself to his wife instead? There's really nothing wrong with that as long as everybody takes their role and stop trying to usurp someone else's position.
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by chineloSA(f): 11:12pm On Nov 09, 2013
cynhamscakes: If the child belongs to the man totally, so the woman is just an incubator and baby pumping machine?

Who pays the dowry and provide shelter and a surname to be used for that shelter
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Afam4eva(m): 11:14pm On Nov 09, 2013
gothrones: @divine2043
Let the woman speak Yoruba to the child and let the man speak Esan to the child.
Is it now a competition. If this happens then the woman is bound to win. Esan cannot win against Yoruba as the latter is spoken by wayy more people and they also live in the SW.
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by mystical10: 11:14pm On Nov 09, 2013
kendraloops:

Are u kidding me? He has a right to deny me giving MY child a yoruba name All the labour pains n agony nko? Abeg foget oo. I know he's more of Esan than yoruba but it hurts. In public when people ask for his baby's yoruba name, he quickly responds that he's gat none.

As for me being pregnant again, I'm not oooo. Lol. Y u dey ask sef?
hello lady pls dnt robb shoulder wit ur hsbnd, in africa, is a culture 4 a child to use his father's language as mother tongue, so is unculture for thm to use urs as mother tongue instead of their fathers own.they re nt yoruba they re esan edo, they will lk wht their father did wen they grow up honesly.i tink this is wht ur hsbnd wantd u to undstd.i support ur hsbnd .obey ur hsbnd dnt robb shoulder with hm ok. at lst ur children wil speak ur lng yoruba as 3rd language. This is probe of women of thisdays, they lk puting thmslf thesame level wit their hsband in the name of gender equality. Tht is why u see divorce everywhere. Women be sumisive to ur hsbnd. Our mothers and grandmothers did it, thts why we ddnt had much of divorce during their time.dnt get it twinstd
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Tricianagal: 11:16pm On Nov 09, 2013
Since he is the one that speaks Esan it is his responsibility that the child learns and children can easily learn learn up to 3 languages at once, even more. It doesn't sound to me like the husband is doing a good job of teaching the boy Esan and even if she doesn't speak Yoruba to him, the kid won't learn anything more than the little maybe the grandparents and family say around him when they visit.
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by thorpido(m): 11:16pm On Nov 09, 2013
chima12: The man has no complex.he is only trying to protect his son.the woman obviously took him for granted cos he speaks yoruba.the man is simply saying I am esan and my son is esan,if he can't speak esan,then he should not speak yoruba.
He should have married an esan lady if it is all about him.Once you choose to marry outside your tribe,you should accommodate the other side too.I didn't marry from my tribe and I understand the children will pick up their mother's language too and I don't mind.

5 Likes

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by gothrones(m): 11:17pm On Nov 09, 2013
Afam4eva:
Is it now a competition. If this happens then the woman is bound to win. Esan cannot win against Yoruba as the latter is spoken by wayy more people and they also live in the SW.

My brother, it is not a competition. A man does not have the right to tell a woman not to speak her language to her child. Speak your own, I speak mine. If it is not a competition, the man wouldn't try to enforce his language on his child.

6 Likes

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by chineloSA(f): 11:17pm On Nov 09, 2013
I am a self proclaimed feminists, but I am against woman turning man into their wives cheesy cheesy

A woman is married to a man and therefore takes after his surname, so man should not be deprived of that last right that is left for them please. undecided undecided undecided

Yes we are equals, but he paid the bride price, provided shelter and name to be used for that house. So please, this is Africa. sad sad sad
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by gothrones(m): 11:17pm On Nov 09, 2013
thorpido: He should have married an esan lady if it is all about him.Once you choose to marry outside your tribe,you should accommodate the other side too.I didn't marry from my tribe and I understand the children will pick up their mother's language too and I don't mind.

GBAM!

1 Like

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Tricianagal: 11:19pm On Nov 09, 2013
chineloSA:
I am a self proclaimed feminists, but I am against woman turning man into their wives cheesy cheesy

A woman is married to a man and therefore takes after his surname, so man should not be deprived of that last right that is left for them please. undecided undecided undecided

Yes we are equals, but he paid the bride price, provided shelter and name to be used for that house. So please, this is Africa. sad sad sad

Yes he is the head but not because of bride price or shelter, Yorubas do not collect bride price and in today's world most women contribute to the rent or house building in fact some women are the full breadwinners. Those are not the things that make a man the head.

4 Likes

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by gothrones(m): 11:20pm On Nov 09, 2013
chineloSA:

There is no equality in the Nigerian culture; in particular, there can be no equality if a bride price is paid. Where I live, you simply marry anyone you want to. You don't buy them. How can you claim equality if you are paying?

1 Like

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Afam4eva(m): 11:22pm On Nov 09, 2013
Triciana gal:

Yes he is the head but not because of bride price or shelter, Yorubas do not collect bride price and in today's world most women contribute to the rent or house building in fact some women are the full breadwinners. Those are not the things that make a man the head.
Bride price is not just about money. The man came to pick his wife from her family to make her part of him and that's what she has to be - part of him. I also agree that a woman can be a breadwinner and possibly the head if implicitly or explicitly agreed to by the husband. But when she becomes that, she should remain that and not try to take over the newly assumed role of the husband.
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Afam4eva(m): 11:24pm On Nov 09, 2013
gothrones:

There is no equality in the Nigerian culture; in particular, there can be no equality if a bride price is paid. Where I live, you simply marry anyone you want to. You don't buy them. How can you claim equality if you are paying?
There can never be equality in marriage the way you mean it. That's where you live, in their attempt to make marriage equall, they keep running into problems that lead to divorce. The reason why most of our parents have been married for decades is because they respected each other's role and not try to usurp the other person.
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by chineloSA(f): 11:25pm On Nov 09, 2013
Triciana gal:

"There can never be two bulls in one kraall" - African proverb.

In any company there is one CEO.

If you can provide all those things for yourself, marry yourself then. If you go with that mentality in marriage, u will divorce earlier than Kim Kardashian sad sad sad sad

1 Like

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Mujah1deen: 11:25pm On Nov 09, 2013
De Beauvoir: Wonders shall never end. In the minds of Nigerian men, wife=slave.

Can you a child without his sperm?
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by enigmatique(m): 11:25pm On Nov 09, 2013
Afam4eva:
Can you tell us what is not backward? Causing unnecessary confusion that will lead to divorce? It's because of people like you that the average human being now marries up to 5 times before they die(i made this up sha). When God created man, he apportioned roles to each of them. It's when one tries to take up the other person's role that problem starts and it can eventually lead to the end of the marriage.
Afam4eva:
There can never be equality in marriage the way you mean it. That's where you live, in their attempt to make marriage equall, they keep running into problems that lead to divorce. The reason why most of our parents have been married for decades is because they respected each other's role and not try to usurp the other person.
Afam4eva:
Can you tell us what is not backward? Causing unnecessary confusion that will lead to divorce? It's because of people like you that the average human being now marries up to 5 times before they die(i made this up sha). When God created man, he apportioned roles to each of them. It's when one tries to take up the other person's role that problem starts and it can eventually lead to the end of the marriage.
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Tricianagal: 11:26pm On Nov 09, 2013
Afam4eva:
Bride price is not just about money. The man came to pick his wife from her family to make her part of him and that's what she has to be - part of him. I also agree that a woman can be a breadwinner and possibly the head if implicitly or explicitly agreed to by the husband. But when she becomes that, she should remain that and not try to take over the newly assumed role of the husband.

My point was that those are not the things that make a man the head. The man is the head basically because his wives accords him that respect because of God's commandments so if he pays bride price or not if she 'll be submissive she will. It is not something that is obtained because of money, it is a gift out of respect.
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Nobody: 11:26pm On Nov 09, 2013
yellowpawpaw:
Forget whatever his reasons were and teach him his father's language. This shouldn't be an issue at all. Like I said, u r still with ur baby. U will be chipping in ur language and baby will be picking small small. U can sing in ur language too abi is it forbidden?
Honestly speaking, its small small molehills like this that becomes mountain if not put in check.
Talk is cheap. Some of us will give advice that will spark fire and still go and jejely manage their own homes very well.
Be wise madam.
Thanks.

Ok, This lady is right on point. I mean, she "knows" it. Can't imagine my wife arguing this with me... I mean m going to hate it.
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by mystical10: 11:27pm On Nov 09, 2013
Afam4eva:
So, do you suggest the Man now submits himself to his wife instead? There's really nothing wrong with that as long as everybody takes their role and stop trying to usurp someone else's position.
but u pray, pay tiths/seed, slept wit babalawo /pastors for the slavery called marrage, dont qustn God.women re nt thesame with men. Amongs 12 apostles and angels in heaven women re nt among, dnt mind robbish western world(gay kingdom)tht said men and women re thesame. she 4 marry(pay dwry) the esan man instead.u carry the baby 9 mths only, the man wey dn carry am 40th sometin yrs nko

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

What Is The Right Age To Start School? / 10 Reasons Nigerian Men Run From Marriage - Vanguard / No Friends To Use As Bridesmaids For My Wedding. I'm Deeply Troubled :(

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.