Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,339 members, 7,811,984 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:36 AM

Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby (36051 Views)

9 Baby Names Banned By Governments / How To Make My Baby Hair Soft / How Do I Treat Navel Pain In My Baby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Tricianagal: 11:54pm On Nov 09, 2013
Afam4eva:
The reason why people are having problems in marriage in Nigeria is due to the same reason. We're trying to copy the westerners in their warped definition of equality in marriage, that's why the divorce rate is increasing in Nigeria. Tell me why our parents were not divorcing like no man's business. It's because they understood that there's no such thing as equality in Marriage, the way it's defined.

Actually the fact that they didn't divorce is not necessarily because they were happy but rather because most women were fanacially dependent in their husband so they basically had no where to go to. The higher rate of divorce is not so much because people are coping westerners but now women who are miserable in their marriages are no longer trapped since they can survive alone. Let us not blame everything on western world but rather the society has changed since the roles if women has changed a lot.

3 Likes

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by willibounce: 11:54pm On Nov 09, 2013
Infact this topic is very annoying. U want to have a son tht will speak Esan abi Asan language and ur brain doesn't tell u to marry an Esan woman? U for kuku teach ur wife Esan language b4 u marry am so tht she can teach ur son. How is it ever possible not to speak ur native language to ur own child.

I am very sure ur husband cannot come out in public to proudly say tht he banned his wife from speaking her language to d child thy gave birth to. Except say ur husband na brickLayer or conductor. But if he is highly educated, he' L kip it as a secret as his colleagues @ wrk n friends mst not know such craap. E ko lo ma fe awon aLakori okunrin sha. SMH

4 Likes

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Mujah1deen: 11:55pm On Nov 09, 2013
Chatters:

Chinelo, which culture? Pls speak for yourself. I assume you are igbo. No igbo culture dictates that. Wake up from your slumber and stop being myopic. So you are telling me you are a slave to your hubby just because he married you? I pity such mentality. Its women like you that makes men treat them like trash!!
women like you end up in coffins

1 Like

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Nobody: 11:55pm On Nov 09, 2013
Afam4eva:
Women are/can(be) intelligent in their own things. They mustn't try to do exactly what their husbands are dfoing to show that they're equally intelligent. God created everyone with a role in mind. Everyone has a mission in this world. A banker does not go about doing the job of a lawyer. A husband cannot go about telling his wife the amount of maggi to put in a soup, so why should she tell him what to do in his own line of work? Isn't that what causes conflict in marriage?

Abeg, I am too tired to point out the ridiculousness of this post.

Believe anything you like.

3 Likes

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by juman(m): 11:55pm On Nov 09, 2013
The husband has myopic and parochial understanding of todays world. The world where people learn and speak as many languages as possible.

4 Likes

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by tintingz(m): 11:57pm On Nov 09, 2013
chineloSA:
I am a self proclaimed feminists, but I am against woman turning man into their wives cheesy cheesy

A woman is married to a man and therefore takes after his surname, so man should not be deprived of that last right that is left for them please. undecided undecided undecided

Yes we are equals, but he paid the bride price, provided shelter and name to be used for that house. So please, this is Africa. sad sad sad

in as much I support your post I don't dig your statement @ bold, women are not properties that they should be changing names ups and down after marriage...Islam marriage is still the best on this, a wife will keep her father's name after marriage.
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by enigmatique(m): 11:57pm On Nov 09, 2013
De Beauvoir:

Of course you won't see anything wrong with the idea that women are supposed to be subservient to men because you are male and the misogynistic laws of your bible favour you. Why is it always incumbent on women to submit to men?
What if she's married to a poor decision maker? Or a sadist? Or sociopath?
She should always submit to him because the ancient jews that invented your religion said so abi?
De Beauvoir, you see, Malcolm Muggeridge or G K Chesterton said that before you remove any fence, make enquiries about why it was put their in the first place! The Bible says the wife shld b submissive, why? For example, can two drivers simultaneously hold and control the steering wheel of a car without a fatal accident occuring? Never. So, som1 has to hold the wheel, while the other looks out for him/her. So God chose the man to be the one at the wheel while the woman is supporting, BUT NOT AS A SERVANT OR SLAVE. Men and women are EQUAL(they are just the two sides of the coin called mankind or the human race), but they av different purposes e.g does the woman av muscular a build as the man, or does the man av a womb? Anyway, actually, the woman's power is not in words and noise but it is very powerful(I can explain if you want me to). Even many patriarchs didn't succeed in treating their wives right, but that wasn't how it was meant to be! But no matter what, you can never say that Jesus was a sexist, chauvinist, sexist or anything like that. Your response is welcome.
PS: & about being married to a sadost etc, dat is y u must b careful about who you marry. If u enta, na to enta bliss or bilisi(i.e a tempest). I pray dat we will av d 4ma case in our respective marriages.
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Afam4eva(m): 11:58pm On Nov 09, 2013
Triciana gal:

Actually the fact that they didn't divorce is not necessarily because they were happy but rather because most women were fanacially dependent in their husband so they basically had no where to go to. The higher rate of divorce is not so much because people are coping westerners but now women who are miserable in their marriages are no longer trapped since they can survive alone. Let us not blame everything on western world but rather the society has changed since the roles if women has changed a lot.
I won't blame you if you call it entrapment. That's the word the proponents of the warped equality in marriage have been using. Our mothers never complained about their roles and were doing it willingly, so who are you to tell them that they were entrapped? Did they tell you they want to be financially independent. Are you aware that when you marry a man, both of you become ONE and everything he owns becomes yours and vice-versa. So, why would anyone say a woman is entrapped in marriage because she does not make her own money. You people should fear God oo.

1 Like

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Chatters(f): 11:59pm On Nov 09, 2013
chineloSA:

Woman breadwinners in Nigeria?

No, once I financially take over the responsibilities of a man, then to me he is my wife. Even if I earn less, he still needs to honour his responsibilities.
I wouldn't take over a mans responsibility, as I would be denting his ego. He will eventually go and look somewhere where he is useful.

Where are you from? The zoo?

5 Likes

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by chineloSA(f): 11:59pm On Nov 09, 2013
Chatters:

Chinelo, which culture? Pls speak for yourself. I assume you are igbo. No igbo culture dictates that. Wake up from your slumber and stop being myopic. So you are telling me you are a slave to your hubby just because he married you? I pity such mentality. Its women like you that makes men treat them like trash!!

I never said woman should be slave to their husbands. All I was trying to say is some issues should be left for the man to decide. This is not a Yoruba child but a Eson child.

I also think your kind are the ones who control man even when its unnecessary. Your kind also is selfish and does not allow kids to learn their fathers culture and language, over their own culture.
If you change to Mrs ...... then do what/how Mr...... does. Unless you are married to your father then do what your father does. Why let kids live the way you lived in your fathers house? Are they your fathers kids??

When you are married its another mans house and it should be respected by doing what you both agree upon or what his culture dictates.

Are you inter-tribally married, perhaps

1 Like

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Mujah1deen: 11:59pm On Nov 09, 2013
Afam4eva:
I won't blame you if you call it entrapment. That's the word the proponents of the warped equality in marriage have been using. Our mothers never complained about their roles and were doing it willingly, so who are you to tell them that they were entrapped? Did they tell you they want to be financially independent. Are you aware that when you marry a man, both of you become ONE and everything he owns becomes yours and vice-versa. So, why would anyone say a woman is entrapped in marriage because she does not make her own money. You people should fear God oo.
b blessed
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Tricianagal: 11:59pm On Nov 09, 2013
chineloSA:

Woman breadwinners in Nigeria?

No, once I financially take over the responsibilities of a man, then to me he is my wife. Even if I earn less, he still needs to honour his responsibilities.
I wouldn't take over a mans responsibility, as I would be denting his ego. He will eventually go and look somewhere where he is useful.

I don't know where you have been but in most marriages these days the women contribute at least 50 percent financially and in lot of cases even more. So if the husband only earns enough to rent a face me I face you but the wife's salary can get a nice apartment in a good area, they should stay in the face me in face in because she doesn't want him to become a wife undecided. A man's responsibility is not only financial, as long as he gives his all no matter how little he is fulfilling his responsibility. It us only lazy ones that will relax and leave the wife alone to do it that women have a problem with.

3 Likes

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by chineloSA(f): 12:01am On Nov 10, 2013
Chatters:

Where are you from? The zoo?

You know because we always greet each other in the same Zoo grin grin grin

You just failing to debate and you resort to insults. I wont stoop to your imbe cillic level.

1 Like

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Mujah1deen: 12:01am On Nov 10, 2013
Please don't stop there, kindly give us the link where you took your bogus statistics
Triciana gal:

I don't know where you have been but in most marriages these days the women contribute at least 50 percent financially and in lot of cases even more. So if the husband only earns enough to rent a face me I face you but the wife's salary can get a nice apartment in a good area, they should stay in the face me in face in because she doesn't want him to become a wife undecided. A man's responsibility is not only financial, as long as he gives his all no matter how little he is fulfilling his responsibility. It us only lazy ones that will relax and leave the wife alone to do it that women have a problem with.

2 Likes

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Chatters(f): 12:02am On Nov 10, 2013
Mujah1deen: women like you end up in coffins

Men like you end up with bullets in their heads. slowpoke!!!

2 Likes

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Afam4eva(m): 12:02am On Nov 10, 2013
Mujah1deen: Please don't stop there, kindly give us the link where you took your bogus statistics
Lol grin grin grin
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by chineloSA(f): 12:03am On Nov 10, 2013
Mujah1deen: women like you end up in coffins

grin grin grin grin
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Mujah1deen: 12:03am On Nov 10, 2013
Chatters:

Men like you end up with bullets in their heads. slowpoke!!!
ashawo, who is going to marry you ? Village bicycle
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Tricianagal: 12:04am On Nov 10, 2013
Afam4eva:

What are you on about? Of course the women who had loving husbands were not entrapped. My point is even women who were abused could not divorce their husbands in those days and it was mostly because of financial reasons. I am not saying a woman who doesn't have money is entrapped but rather the ones who are in a bad marriage but have no money cannot leave. In an ideal situation it wouldn't matter who makes the money unfortunately in bad situations lack of more can make one very vulnerable. You should try not to be so emotional and jump to conclusions.

3 Likes

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by nduchucks: 12:05am On Nov 10, 2013
kendraloops: I'm so so so very angry this evening. I've been having this issue with hubby for a while now, used to think he was kidding but this evening just confirmed it for me.

I'm Yoruba n he's Esan from Edo state. He speaks yoruba very very fluently even better than me, he teaches me proverbs n all sometimes sef. But anytime I speak yoruba to our baby, he gets irritated kind of n says' my son is an Esan man, stop speaking yoruba to him'.

We had a major row over it this evening again. Don't I count in the boy's life? What's the biggie in him learning how to speak yoruba?

No time to read all the comments. My suggestion to you is to note that it is most unhealtly for a baby to be raised in an environment where you and your hubby constantly bicker and fight over, of all things, speaking your language to your child. For your child's welfare and that of your marriage, I'd suggest that for now, you stop speaking the language to your baby while your hubby is arround. But make it a point to continue to speak the language to your child on a daily basis.

This way, you kill 2 birds with a stone smiley

One day the child will say to his dad "baba mo love yin gan" (baba I love you very much), let's see whether the insecure man will disown the child afterward.

1 Like

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Tricianagal: 12:06am On Nov 10, 2013
Mujah1deen: ashawo, who is going to marry you ? Village bicycle

You should learn how to disagree with people without throwing insults around. I believe we are all educated adults here and we should be able to have arguments without getting offensive.

5 Likes

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Chatters(f): 12:06am On Nov 10, 2013
Mujah1deen: ashawo, who is going to marry you ? Village bicycle

Idiot! Always picking quarrels in threads. No woman in her right mind will marry you. You pathetic bigot.

3 Likes

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by chineloSA(f): 12:07am On Nov 10, 2013
Afam4eva:
Women are/can(be) intelligent in their own things. They mustn't try to do exactly what their husbands are dfoing to show that they're equally intelligent. God created everyone with a role in mind. Everyone has a mission in this world. A banker does not go about doing the job of a lawyer. A husband cannot go about telling his wife the amount of maggi to put in a soup, so why should she tell him what to do in his own line of work? Isn't that what causes conflict in marriage?

On point. Very true
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Afam4eva(m): 12:08am On Nov 10, 2013
Triciana gal:

What are you on about? Of course the women who had loving husbands were not entrapped. My point is even women who were abused could not divorce their husbands in those days and it was mostly because of financial reasons. I am not saying a woman who doesn't have money is entrapped but rather the ones who are in a bad marriage but have no money cannot leave. In an ideal situation it wouldn't matter who makes the money unfortunately in bad situations lack of more can make one very vulnerable. You should try not to be so emotional and jump to conclusions.
Now you're shifting the goal post. You made a bold statement and i quote:

"Actually the fact that they didn't divorce is not necessarily because they were happy but rather because most women were fanacially dependent in their husband so they basically had no where to go to"

1 Like

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by tintingz(m): 12:08am On Nov 10, 2013
Mr Mandilas: Pls call a spade a spade not a farm tool. Hence the lady is married to an Esan automatically, she becomes one of them. She should stop being stupid and pushy or she will break her home. She should have married Yoruba then. One thing about nairaland is that people speak not the truth because everyone wants to protect their tribes..@ OP, i want u to start thinkin like an Esan because U are now one of them. Learn how to speak the language and solidify ur new family. Remember, a good woman maketh her home. Shekinah!
She's not a yoruba woman anymore because she's married to an Esan man and she should start thinking like an esan person? When are we going to stop seeing women as properties. She's still a yoruba woman no matter who she is married to. Yes she might be one of them but not an esan person.

4 Likes

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Mujah1deen: 12:08am On Nov 10, 2013
Triciana gal:

You should learn how to disagree with people without throwing insults around. I believe we are all educated adults here and we should be able to have arguments without getting offensive.
I guess you missed her "slowpoke" .kindly redirect your sermon to your feminazi friend.
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Tricianagal: 12:09am On Nov 10, 2013
Afam4eva:
Now you're shifting the goal post. You made a bold statement and i quote:

"Actually the fact that they didn't divorce is not necessarily because they were happy but rather because most women were fanacially dependent in their husband so they basically had no where to go to"

Exactly saying the some were indeed unhappy but couldn't leave because of money. Same thing
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Afam4eva(m): 12:10am On Nov 10, 2013
ndu_chucks:

No time to read all the comments. My suggestion to you is to note that it is most unhealtly for a baby to be raised in an environment where you and your hubby constantly bicker and fight over, of all things, speaking your language to your child. For your child's welfare and that of your marriage, I'd suggest that for now, you stop speaking the language to your baby while your hubby is arround. But make it a point to continue to speak the language to your child on a daily basis.

This way, you kill 2 birds with a stone smiley

One day the child will say to his dad "baba mo love yin gan" (baba I love you very much), let's see whether the insecure man will disown the child afterward.
Pls don't take this advice grin This is a recipe for disaster. You don't go cheating on your husband. What if he finds out she's been doing it behind his back?

1 Like

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Mujah1deen: 12:10am On Nov 10, 2013
Chatters:

Idiot! Always picking quarrels in threads. No woman in her right mind will marry you. You pathetic bigot.
I'm actually married with two beautiful wives. What about you? Is the chief of your village still riding you or it is the turn of your governor?

Village bicycle ooo who wants to take a free ride? grin
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Afam4eva(m): 12:12am On Nov 10, 2013
tintingz: She's not a yoruba woman anymore because she's married to an Esan man and she should start thinking like an esan person? When are we going to stop seeing women as properties. She's still a yoruba woman no matter who she is married to. Yes she might be one of them but not an esan person.
I agree with you.
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by chineloSA(f): 12:12am On Nov 10, 2013
Mujah1deen: I'm actually married with two beautiful wives. What about you? Is the chief of your village still riding you or it is the turn of your governor?

Village bicycle ooo who wants to take a free ride? grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by chineloSA(f): 12:13am On Nov 10, 2013
Chatters:

I think you started being rude before he did. smiley smiley smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Man Celebrates As His Wife Gives Birth After 17 Years Of Trying (Photos) / 2 Spoons: Wife Who Demonstrated Loyalty To Husband Gets Over ₦2M Cash Gift / White SA Mother Loses 5 Kids In Massive Gas Explosion (PICS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.