Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,463 members, 7,830,318 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:40 PM

Igbo Women Are Too Demanding - Romance (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Igbo Women Are Too Demanding (18117 Views)

Beautiful Igbo Women / Women Are Not Always The Problem In Relationships / Are SS & Igbo Women More Beautiful Than Yoruba Women? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Women Are Too Demanding by plusQueen: 1:10am On Oct 25, 2008
let me ask you folks.
When You say
I'm Egba
I'm Ijebu
I'm Ilesha

It is just the towns where you're from or are they subtribes within yorubaland?
Re: Igbo Women Are Too Demanding by Danke: 1:10am On Oct 25, 2008
can smone pls call me mr nwando to pls come take his wife off dis forum angry osisi enough of dis bathwater angry
Re: Igbo Women Are Too Demanding by plusQueen: 1:11am On Oct 25, 2008

can smone please call me mr nwando to please come take his wife off this forum angry osisi enough of this bathwater angry

He's still out hussling
Re: Igbo Women Are Too Demanding by Nobody: 1:12am On Oct 25, 2008
@ Stillwater,

Explain this "bath water" phenomenom. . . .
I can tell u one or two things about Yoruba too. . .

Ask plus queen.
Re: Igbo Women Are Too Demanding by Sauron1: 1:13am On Oct 25, 2008
plus_Queen:

let me ask you folks.
When You say
I'm Egba
I'm Ijebu
I'm Ilesha

There are one billion sub-tribes in Yoruba.
Ijesha itself is like 10. . . . .Ijeshatedo, Ijebu Ijesha, Ijesha Igbo, Ijesha Oke, Ijesha Isale, Ijesha(main town) Ijesha-Akara. grin grin
Re: Igbo Women Are Too Demanding by KarmaMod(f): 1:14am On Oct 25, 2008
Nigerian widows are tortured not just Igbos

Yorubas still have some places where the widow is made to marry the brother of the husband even if he's 90 yrs old.

These traditions may be dead but they still pop up every now and then. Same way you still have psychos giving their newborns tribal marks.

Nigeria still has a long way to go. No part of the country is exempt from this.
Re: Igbo Women Are Too Demanding by KarmaMod(f): 1:15am On Oct 25, 2008
BTW it's when a woman is SUSPECTED of killing her husband/he died young that she is made to drink the corpse water.

seeing that Nigeria loves blaming women for everything, I'm sure at the time this happened often
Re: Igbo Women Are Too Demanding by PepERSprAY: 1:16am On Oct 25, 2008
Yorubas still have some places where the widow is made to marry the brother of the husband even if he's 90 years old.
That was during the dark years and not now unless it is in Ekiti state. tongue
Re: Igbo Women Are Too Demanding by KarmaMod(f): 1:17am On Oct 25, 2008
PepERSprAY:

Funmi be quiet.

Not too long ago, a girl made a hysterical post about how her MIL took their baby for a "haircut" and came back with OGBOMOSHO marks on his face.

So why should the tradition of making a widow marry an old man be a surprise?

This was 2007. Dark ages ko. Englightened Era ni.
Re: Igbo Women Are Too Demanding by Morenike3(f): 1:18am On Oct 25, 2008
PepERSprAY:

Not, it is not.
Re: Igbo Women Are Too Demanding by plusQueen: 1:19am On Oct 25, 2008
~Sauron~:

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez!!!!!
I am sure this tradition is now dead n buried. I refuse to believe Igbo women are tortured this way.
There was this movie where one widow had to shave her head because she lost her hubby. . . .Whatz all that about??

@ Stillwater,

Explain this "bath water" phenomenom. . . .[/b]I can tell u one or two things about Yoruba too. . .

I know you didn't ask me but let me expalin and put this thing to sleep.
[b]I read here on nairaland that widows in some parts of Igboland who are accused of killing their husbands are sometimes told to drink the bathwater from the corpse to prove her innocence
I had never heard of it and neither had my husband.
There was also a nollywood movie made on that based on a real life issue according to Karmamod.

On further investigation, and supported by an article, it was found that the same practice  of drinking bathwater obtained in some parts of Yorubaland and Edoland and perhaps other places (who knows).

Obviously this must be a rare practice
It is nauseating.
Now I hope it's clear
Re: Igbo Women Are Too Demanding by PepERSprAY: 1:21am On Oct 25, 2008

Funmi be quiet.

Not too long ago, a girl made a hysterical post about how her MIL took their baby for a "haircut" and came back with OGBOMOSHO marks on his face.

This was 2007. Dark ages ko. Englightened Era ni.
Stop spreading rumors here please. That girl's story was on NL and it could be fake and unfounded. Let us focus on another story abeg.
Re: Igbo Women Are Too Demanding by Sauron1: 1:21am On Oct 25, 2008
PepERSprAY:

U think we are like u Ijeshas. . . . .
90% of u peops are ritualists. . . . Have u forgotten the period OPC killed n burnt nearly all the nice houses in Ilesha??
Deepy, don't make me start tonight. . . .U are free to diss the Egbas n Ijebus, don't even encroach near Ekiti.

@ Queenisha,

Thanx for the explanation. . . .I think i have seen a movie like that.
Re: Igbo Women Are Too Demanding by PepERSprAY: 1:23am On Oct 25, 2008
I know you didn't ask me but let me expalin and put this thing to sleep.
I read here on nairaland that widows in some parts of Igboland who are accused of killing their husbands are sometimes told to drink the bathwater from the corpse to prove her innocence.
There was also a nollywood movie made on that based on a real life issue according to Karmamod.

to be honest here, My inlaw who is igbo knows nothing about it but when he asked around, another igbo friend of his' told him that such a thing happened in one area long time ago and it's no more in existence because christianity wiped it out.
Re: Igbo Women Are Too Demanding by DavidDylan(m): 1:23am On Oct 25, 2008
plus_Queen:

let me ask you folks.
When You say
I'm Egba
I'm Ijebu
I'm Ilesha

They are supposed to be subtribes. The cultures and languages have subtle differences. For example an Egba man wont understand an Ijebu man even though both claim to speak yoruba
Re: Igbo Women Are Too Demanding by KarmaMod(f): 1:23am On Oct 25, 2008
PepERSprAY:

Stop spreading rumors here please. That girl's story was on NL and it could be fake and unfounded. Let us focus on another story  abeg.

and what would be her reason for making such up? Are you mad?

You've never seen kids with tribal marks? I was in Ibadan last year and saw a ouple (10-11 yrs) with it. so what's your rant about?

Go sit down jare.  NL needs a purge from this spirit of denial
Re: Igbo Women Are Too Demanding by PepERSprAY: 1:24am On Oct 25, 2008
U think we are like u Ijeshas. . . . .
90% of u peops are ritualists. . . . Have u forgotten the period OPC killed n burnt nearly all the nice houses in Ilesha??
Deepy, don't make me start tonight. . . .U are free to diss the Egbas n Ijebus, don't even encroach near Ekiti.
Another ridiculous story from you after you claimed that an Ijesha oba was homosexual. I dey go work abeg. angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Igbo Women Are Too Demanding by ezeagu(m): 1:25am On Oct 25, 2008
embarassed
Re: Igbo Women Are Too Demanding by DavidDylan(m): 1:26am On Oct 25, 2008
plus_Queen:

It is nauseating.
Now I hope it's clear

Its not rare especially in the villages. Once knew a woman who had to go thru that after her husband died.
Re: Igbo Women Are Too Demanding by Sauron1: 1:27am On Oct 25, 2008
PepERSprAY:

Another ridiculous story from you after you claimed that an Ijesha oba was homosexual. I dey go work abeg. angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

Go to work. . . . .
I will do justice to the Ijesha topic anutha day.
Brace urself.
Re: Igbo Women Are Too Demanding by KarmaMod(f): 1:27am On Oct 25, 2008
DavidDylan:

Its not rare especially in the villages. Once knew a woman who had to go through that after her husband died.

I wonder why it's hard for people to believe that despite Christianity o, Islam o, many crass traditions still go on in Nigeria.
Re: Igbo Women Are Too Demanding by plusQueen: 1:29am On Oct 25, 2008
PepERSprAY:

to be honest here, My inlaw who is igbo knows nothing about it but when he asked around, another igbo friend of his' told him that such a thing happened in one area long time ago and it's no more in existence because christianity wiped it out.

So my husband and I are not the only one that had never heard of such.
These things are so rarely done so it's possible to be born and bred in Igboland and know absolutely nothing about it.
Did you know it happens in Yorubaland if you didn't hear it on this thread?

This is why stereotypes are evil.
Re: Igbo Women Are Too Demanding by plusQueen: 1:31am On Oct 25, 2008
DavidDylan:

Its not rare especially in the villages. Once knew a woman who had to go through that after her husband died.

where biko?
tell me
I'm learning something here
Re: Igbo Women Are Too Demanding by Gamine(f): 1:40am On Oct 25, 2008
If you dont know something, isnt it better to ask. My friends mumsi was askd to do dis. She refusd and till date, her husbands people hate. They are not in d village by the way, they dont even hav ibo accent
Re: Igbo Women Are Too Demanding by Gamine(f): 1:40am On Oct 25, 2008
If you dont know something, isnt it better to ask. My friends mumsi was askd to do dis. She refusd and till date, her husbands people hate. They are not in d village by the way, they dont even hav ibo accent
Re: Igbo Women Are Too Demanding by agaba123(m): 1:40am On Oct 25, 2008
plus_Queen:

I know you didn't ask me but let me explain and put this thing to sleep.
I read here on nairaland that widows in  some parts of Igboland who are accused of killing their husbands are sometimes told to drink the bathwater from the corpse to prove her innocence.

On further investigation, and supported by an article, it was found that the same practice  of drinking bathwater obtained in some parts of Yorubaland and Edoland and perhaps other places (who knows).

It is nauseating.
Now I hope it's clear

It caused a crisis  in Anambra, I think in Ogbunike some years back.  The youths of the community were armed with weapons as they fought to preserve their wicked custom. some Catholic Charismatic members who stood against because the woman involved was their member were killed. Never heard of such again. But I think it still exists.
Not sure where it is now.
That is barbarism at its height.
Re: Igbo Women Are Too Demanding by DavidDylan(m): 1:42am On Oct 25, 2008
plus_Queen:

where biko?
tell me
I'm learning something here

i'm positive it was in the old Anambra state.
Re: Igbo Women Are Too Demanding by KarmaMod(f): 1:43am On Oct 25, 2008
Where were you people when I was accused of making this up to make Igbos look bad? Like worse doesnt go on in Yorubaland. Infact it does happen sef

At least that one is only done if the psychotic family suspects the woman.
Re: Igbo Women Are Too Demanding by agaba123(m): 1:45am On Oct 25, 2008
KarmaMod:

Where were you people when I was accused of making this up to make Igbos look bad? Like worse doesnt go on in Yorubaland.

At least that one is only done if the psychotic family suspects the woman.
I went to dance salsa abeg. I need am

David it is still within the new ANAMBRA
Re: Igbo Women Are Too Demanding by plusQueen: 1:52am On Oct 25, 2008
agaba123:

I went to dance salsa abeg. I need am

David it is still within the new ANAMBRA

One of the articles specifically said Ozubulu.
Is this isolated or in other areas
Re: Igbo Women Are Too Demanding by plusQueen: 1:53am On Oct 25, 2008
I'm from Imo state.
And I had never heard of it
Re: Igbo Women Are Too Demanding by plusQueen: 1:54am On Oct 25, 2008
agaba I just read your other input

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply)

Hygiene: What Tips Do You Have To Be Attractive To A Potential Partner? / Blackberry Babes And Grammatical Blunders / Do University Relationships Ever Lead To Marriage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.