Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,040 members, 7,814,553 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:53 PM

African Woman And Feminism. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / African Woman And Feminism. (8384 Views)

South African Woman Catches Her Man Driving A Side Chick & Climbs On His Car / What The Fight For Gender Equality And Feminism Would Later Result To / Photos:south African Woman With Big Hips Says Men Only Want To Sleep With Her (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

African Woman And Feminism. by Kasiem2: 2:00am On May 31, 2015
AFRICAN WOMAN AND FEMINISM.

At my building stage of boyhood, in one of processes of trying to build me, I was privileged to have my dad take my to one of the umunna meeting. Like a first timer in such a marvellous gathering, you can imagine what the feeling was like. Like an uneasy pretender who wouldn't allow people notice the feeling running through his mind, my eyes was just hovering about in order to see if people around are noticing this feeling through my composure. What marvelled me the more was seeing one lady amongst that gathering of men, she wasn't just there in a passive manner rather she was being active in critical issues being raised there. Why I felt the way I felt was that prior to that meeting I've always had this feeling that women are always not allow the privilege of sharing the same ground with men. After, the meeting my inquisitive self lured me into engaging my dad into a discussion on why the woman was allowed to enjoy the privilege of appearing in meeting of umunna, my dad responded with an analytic question; he asked what makes a man? Which he responded by saying 'responsibility'. So from there he told me that the woman has done so many responsibilities more than a man could do that's why she was regarded as fit to enjoy the privilege of man. The woman has taken the responsibility of staying back at home to see that the father's lineage is not vanished through the 'iha nwanyi' culture, she does work to sustain and cater for her children etc. Like they say if a child washes his hand he joins elders in eating, so the woman has done something which a man does before he could be regarded as a man. After all this from my dad, a new knowledge and perception was added in my world.
The above anecdote is meant to amend some half baked beliefs have of Africa especially when it relates to feminism. In the clime which we found ourselves, it is a well known fact that not every male that can impregnate women are regarded as man. To be a man is always a virtue which stems from the responsibilities which you've been able to overcome. Just like in things fall apart there's a place where someone said something in the gathering of umunna and okonkwo sharply rebuked that person with a sweeping statement that the meeting is for men. It is quite bad though that some male figures have been mistakenly called a man when they've not conquered any responsibility,that's part of the values which we've traded in the name of civilisation. So, for women to get to that level of being seen with that eye which is used to see a man in the African sense, then, they must be ready to face and clear responsibilities.
Feminism is what every reasonable human on Africa should work towards achieving because when we arrive at that stage where everyone is seen with equal eye, then, responsibility becomes shared and balanced. There won't be a world where the men will always be toiling day and night just to be seen as real men and there won't be a world where they women will only be the 'oriakus' of the world. All hands must be on deck this time around. It baffles to see a man maintaining his #200 while the woman who virtually does nothing maintains her with #10000. So, in Africa we've always had the stage open for everyone to be what he/she wants to be but we don't push people into the stage.

4 Likes

Re: African Woman And Feminism. by Nobody: 2:46am On May 31, 2015
Africa and her backward norms. I really don't see how females are inferior to males. If not for gender discrimination, i see no reason for feminism.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: African Woman And Feminism. by Nobody: 3:19am On May 31, 2015
U just spoke my mind nigga.in a world of ours where women wants to be of equal status with men then the onus also lies with them to attain the feet which men are known for.not when the sit there lazy ass at home all day long and also expect to be of equal status with men when they do virtually nothing.
Re: African Woman And Feminism. by tohpahz(f): 4:46am On May 31, 2015
smiley
Re: African Woman And Feminism. by prettyjo(f): 4:49am On May 31, 2015
lipsrsealed
Re: African Woman And Feminism. by MrsChima(f): 4:52am On May 31, 2015
Who run this world? Girls!!! cheesy grin grin

1 Like

Re: African Woman And Feminism. by agarawu23(m): 5:25am On May 31, 2015
MrsChima:
undecided undecided undecided
Re: African Woman And Feminism. by Nobody: 6:59am On May 31, 2015
Feminism; "what a man can do, a woman can do better". LMFAO!! One of the most degrading sh*t i've ever heard.

Isn't it ridiculous that it's only when women do so called "men things" that they are regarded as "strong women"? When will society celebrate women for what they are? Which is.......women. Women are the primary & sole reason why the family unit survives & that has led the world to what it is today. No man will ever be able to replicate the role a woman performs in the society as a good mother & a good wife. Same goes for men as fathers & husbands.

I guess my point is until we celebrate women for what they are(women) & not what they are not(men), this whole feminism thing is horsesh*t

1 Like

Re: African Woman And Feminism. by Nobody: 7:44am On May 31, 2015
MrsChima:

grin grin cool
Re: African Woman And Feminism. by Nobody: 7:48am On May 31, 2015
shockwave91:
Feminism; "what a man can do, a woman can do better". LMFAO!! One of the most degrading sh*t i've ever heard.

That's not Feminism.

Feminism is all about the social, political, religious and economic equality of the sexes.
Not placing one above the other.

2 Likes

Re: African Woman And Feminism. by Frodoo: 8:06am On May 31, 2015
That's not Feminism.

Feminism is all about the social, political, religious economic equality of the sexes.
Re: African Woman And Feminism. by faith551(m): 9:39am On May 31, 2015
sylvalord:
Africa and her backward norms. I really don't see how females are inferior to males. If not for gender discrimination, i see no reason for feminism.

It's not all about Africa's norms, it's all about European culture infecting the fabrics of our dear continent. Whether we like it or not men were built to take care of women, protect them, and cater for them, that's why we are naturally possessive when it comes to our female counterparts.
You can take a cue from lesser mammals like the lions,how then can a woman be equal to a man when all this natural hints points towards one direction.
I in no way support maltreatment of the opposite gender, no reasonable person will do that. Sometimes I laugh at the frivolous culture of the West, they have nothing important to think out or invent like their fore-fathers, all they do now is lazy about trying to counter the laws of nature, supporting lesbianism, gay rights, bestiality, feminism, atheism I mean what type of human being doesn't believe in anything.
My question is why can't we influence them with our own culture. My brothers and sisters WE ARE STILLL UNDER THE SHACKLES OF OUR COLONIAL MASTERS!!
Re: African Woman And Feminism. by faith551(m): 9:44am On May 31, 2015
MrsChima:

And who run the girls?
Re: African Woman And Feminism. by Nobody: 10:05am On May 31, 2015
these women conveniently exclude people like hellen Keller and mother Theresa in their arguments. Being a woman means being strong in fragility. Being resilient while being delicate. But if you insist on being like men, by all means, go ahead. You are the ones that will get tired.
Re: African Woman And Feminism. by mizzochocinco: 10:10am On May 31, 2015
Etophikisi:
U just spoke my mind nigga.in a world of ours where women wants to be of equal status with men then the onus also lies with them to attain the feet which men are known for.not when the sit there lazy ass at home all day long and also expect to be of equal status with men when they do virtually nothing.
did you mama sit her lazy ass at home all day doing virtually nothing? Your papa came back to a filthy house? You got your food from the bush? U bathed yourself from 0-4yrs? undecided
Re: African Woman And Feminism. by mizzochocinco: 10:11am On May 31, 2015
faith551:

And who run the girls?
God
Re: African Woman And Feminism. by faith551(m): 10:15am On May 31, 2015
mizzochocinco:
God

*falls from pulpit
Re: African Woman And Feminism. by czarr(m): 10:18am On May 31, 2015
missclasssy:

That's not Feminism.

Feminism is all about the social, political, religious economic equality of the sexes.
.....big big talk
Re: African Woman And Feminism. by Kasiem2: 10:23am On May 31, 2015
shockwave91:

Isn't it ridiculous that it's only when women do so called "men things" that they are regarded as "strong women"? When will society celebrate women for what they are? Which is.......women. Women are the primary & sole reason why the family unit survives & that has led the world to what it is today. No man will ever be able to replicate the role a woman performs in the society as a good mother & a good wife. Same goes for men as fathers & husbands.

I guess my point is until we celebrate women for what they are(women) & not what they are not(men), this whole feminism thing is horsesh*t
celebrating the women for what they are has always been a major part of African ethics, that's why they are protected from major stress of toiling to see she gets what to eat. Again, the kind of protection that's given to a widow is never accorded to a widower all because we know how vulnerable they are. So if the women folk thinks they are not comfortable where the society has kept them then they should be ready to face the challenges of change
Re: African Woman And Feminism. by Kasiem2: 10:30am On May 31, 2015
Seun, lalasticlala, mogidi, ishilove and co. I want this to serve as a rejoinder to adichie's recent feminist talk, so help me do the needful.
Re: African Woman And Feminism. by lilmax(m): 10:34am On May 31, 2015
Still waiting to see a real feminist in africa
Re: African Woman And Feminism. by MrsChima(f): 11:23am On May 31, 2015
faith551:

And who run the girls?

Not the men/boys! tongue
Re: African Woman And Feminism. by MrsChima(f): 11:46am On May 31, 2015
Re: African Woman And Feminism. by MrsChima(f): 11:52am On May 31, 2015
missclasssy:

That's not Feminism.

Exactly. It is about giving women the opportunity to participate and contribute equally without being told to be seen and not heard!
Re: African Woman And Feminism. by ronald4lif(m): 11:53am On May 31, 2015
MrsChima:

Women be giving themselves false hope. You people must be running cuckoo land, not planet earth. Nonsense!
Re: African Woman And Feminism. by Nobody: 11:55am On May 31, 2015
ronald4lif:

Women be giving themselves false hope. You people must be running cuckoo land, not planet earth. Nonsense!

angry
Re: African Woman And Feminism. by MrsChima(f): 11:56am On May 31, 2015
Kasiem2:
celebrating the women for what they are has always been a major part of African ethics, that's why they are protected from major stress of toiling to see she gets what to eat. Again, the kind of protection that's given to a widow is never accorded to a widower all because we know how vulnerable they are. So if the women folk thinks they are not comfortable where the society has kept them then they should be ready to face the challenges of change

Anyone who is lonely and desire companion will be vulnerable at some degree but isolating someone for the sake of protection is wrong!

Women do not need to be treated like eggs and I am sure the change in societal trends would be accepted and appreciated!
Re: African Woman And Feminism. by faith551(m): 11:57am On May 31, 2015
MrsChima:

Not the men/boys! tongue
Everybody knows the truth cheesy U can't hide it
Re: African Woman And Feminism. by MrsChima(f): 11:58am On May 31, 2015
ronald4lif:

Why aren't you in power boo? grin

Girls! tongue
Re: African Woman And Feminism. by MrsChima(f): 12:00pm On May 31, 2015
faith551:

Everybody knows the truth cheesy
U can't hide it

Just because she is a wife/girlfriend doesn't mean she is being ran. grin

Get over it!
Re: African Woman And Feminism. by MrsChima(f): 12:01pm On May 31, 2015
mizzochocinco:
God

Gbam!
Re: African Woman And Feminism. by Enegod(m): 12:05pm On May 31, 2015
feminism has turned women into narcissistic sociopaths... What happened to women standing by their man and being supportive angry angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

8 Advantages Of Being Stingy To Ladies / Naija! Man Sticks His Hand Into Lady's Trouser, Fingers Her Publicly (pic) / Ladies, Why Do We Show Off Our Laps In Pictures?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.