Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,638 members, 7,813,117 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:22 AM

MEND Attacks Lagos - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / MEND Attacks Lagos (24174 Views)

Poll: If true, this attack is:

horrible: 67% (116 votes)
wonderful: 32% (55 votes)
This poll has ended

Boko Haram Attacks Monguno And Baga / This Is ARMED Mend. 48hrs Before The Explosions In Abuja. video. / Expect More Bombing, Mend Threatens (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by nuesaweso(f): 12:51pm On Jul 13, 2009
lee007:

Nues aweso (m), I think you nedd mental check up, what of if your family members are at the Airport! Jesus i cant believe you are Human! undecided

Mental check up na twice a day?? I just had one this morning. . . grin What about you?
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Jakumo(m): 12:52pm On Jul 13, 2009
No2Atheism:

At the end of the day i am still convinced that: Some Western powers and secret security agencies are behind the armed militants in the Niger Delta for the following reasons:[b]
1. Their weapons are quite sophisticated to say the least.
2. [b]It costs a lot of money and a lot of military connections to continuously supply and re-supply military weapons of such high qualities.[/b]3. Their attacks are getting more and more coordinated.

Crude oil is being traded directly for weapons of war from Eastern European brokers, and from the Democratic Republic of Congo, where infantry weapons are cheap, after so many decades of war.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Hanoobaba(m): 12:54pm On Jul 13, 2009
I think Niger-Deltans are forgeting that they have no unity among themselves, even if they achieve 100% resource control there will still be fracas among the ethnic groups i.e Ijaw, Itshekiri, Urhobo, Ogoni e.t.c. And will it be people like Ibori and Alams that will be in charge of the of the proceeds of the crude oil?
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Beaf: 12:55pm On Jul 13, 2009
Mowire:

I think this claim is FALSE and a cheap propaganda.

If it were true the news will by now be everywhere on the streets of Lagos. There is no such news on the street; no sound of sirens (as of fire engines) and no unusual movements (helicopters) in the air! There is no huge smoke that will be indicative of fire of the magnitude that would result from this claim!

I'm in Anthony village, right along Ikorodu road, if any such explosion and fire outbreak exists I should at least be able to behold the smoke even if I don't hear the explosions, and the traffic ought to have come to a stand still by now.

THIS CLAIM IS
(MOST LIKELY) A LIE!!!

NLders should try to verify some of this guys' claims before posting.

I will still watchout anyway

So you can see Apapa area from Antony? Na wa! shocked
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by NegroNtns(m): 12:56pm On Jul 13, 2009
An oil depot was hit.  An oil depot. . .   an oil depot was hit!  Who are these people looking for sings of the carnage within city vicinity.  A gaddem oil depot in Lagos was hit by MEND.  

MEND tactical deploy = swamp, riverine, mangrove

Lagos State terrain = swamp, riverine, mangrove

Put two and two together that means its likely a depot located in a riverine, swamp or off shore in the Atlantic.  It does not have to be in Lagos city or its metro.  

Where is Becomerich to assist with satellite maps for God's sake?
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by ow11(m): 12:57pm On Jul 13, 2009
freezy:

Glad you agree with that.

If then there is the descision to fight, why not do sumn that will affect directly those that are affected?
Seriously, the people who should do the fighting are lounging about. If i recall, were there any superimposed Governors in the Niger Delta?
oh, you think the Niger Delta is the only area being deprived? You'd be shocked at what the FG is doin to Lagos state. . . only difference is the leaders. Suppose MEND sorts itself in house first? Blow up the Governors, Senators, Local Govt Chairmans House of Reps etc Houses.
But come all the way to lagos to blow uo Mosimi? Naah. That, simply put is vandalism at its peak.

Ps: You mite just wanna check up the meaning of the word Vandal

How do you posit they get the members of the FG to stop mortgaging Nigeria's future for houses in Mayfair and Longbeach?

What do you think they seek to achieve by destroying infrastructures? Newspaper headlines?
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by grafikdon: 1:00pm On Jul 13, 2009
No2Atheism:

It does not take a rocket scientist that attacking Lagos is a recipe for disaster on the part of MEND and the ethnic groups they claim to represent (of which Yorubas in Ondos ought to be amongst if truth be told), however it is obvious that MEND is not really out to protect Niger Delta interest, but really out to protect the interest of a few ethnic groups in the Niger Delta, considering that i have had reasons to understand that some Regions of Abia, Calabar, Port-Harcourt might not mono-ethnic hence the question, who is MEND actually representing (themselves or others)

- Yorubas had developed the west before the discovery of oil and still continued to do so since independence (hence it does not take a rocket scientist to see why the west still thrives even though the north has basically being dominating the affairs of nigeria)
- Yoruba have sustained, redeveloped and are still redeveloping lagos even after it was abandoned for abuja years ago.
- Yorubas do not lift guns and destroying other ethnic groups properties because the Taxes generated in lagos state are being taken out of lagos state to fund other regions, including naija delta.
- Ondo is part of Naija delta, yet you do not see them bombing anybody, hence does it mean MEND is only represent the interest of a few groups in ND or how come Yorubas are also being targetted.
- JTF is populated by northerners according to reports, hence its stupid for MEND to seek to destroy infrastructures in Lagos.
- Lagos has made itself a free city for all to live in and make money off, hence MEND is asking for trouble from the Yorubas once they start considering Lagos as a target.
- I have been in ND and i know that Yorubas do not have as much freedom in other people's lands as they have give other people in their own lands, hence it is crassly stupid to turn Yorubas into an enemy of MEND.
- Despite more than a few years of 13% derivation little or nothing is being shown for it Niger Delta, yet Lagos as a Yoruba state is constantly seeking to develop despite all the overpopulation and lack of financial support from the federal government, even when a yoruba man was president.

It is sad that some people on this forumn are using this opportunity to do a little Yoruba bashing despite that the big picture actually calls or the opposite. Considering that Yorubas have always supported and fought for Complete Regional Autonomy. Attacking Lagos is a stupid idea, considering that MEND needs the support of Yorubas in actualising their 100% derivation dream (which Yorubas do not mind supporting cus we have oil, natural minerals and manpower also in commercial quatities).

Why has MEND refused to attack and prosecute its own people like Odilis, Iboris, Uduaghan, Etiebet, Goodluck Jonathan and co considering those people have made money and still continue to make money from the deprivation of Niger Delta. It is one thing to fight and destroy your own property and land, it is another thing to destroy property located in another man's land and still expect them to keep quiet and continue to watch you to do so.

Logic and Common sense shows that Infrastructures in the North are supposed to be the target not infrastructures in the south-west or south-south, considering that people of the south-west have endeavoured to be fair to all and sundry irrespective of ethnic group. Hence why you find it such that Yorubas tend to fare less in other regions than in their own homeland even though other tend to fare more in yoruba lands.

A word is enough for the wise, MEND is looking for trouble and they would find it if they proceed to destroy western structures, YORUBA are not their enemies, it would be wise not to make them one.

At the end of the day i am still convinced that: Some Western powers and secret security agencies are behind the armed militants in the Niger Delta for the following reasons:
1. Their weapons are quite sophisticated to say the least.

2. It costs a lot of money and a lot of military connections to continuously supply and re-supply military weapons of such high qualities.
3. Their attacks are getting more and more coordinated.
4. MEND members still have access to the West despite that they are openly showing to be militants, hence meaning that the West openly allows them in their own countries despite that the west knows of their activities.
5. Militancy in the Niger Delta ultimately contributes to the increasing the global price of oil even if it causes reduction in the local supply of oil, hence when considered from the perspective of a big picture, more money is made through oil and gas globally, if their continues to trouble in the Niger Delta.

You know. . . you can drive home your point without irritating us with this repulsive antagonism riddled  bullshit. Why you can hardly post anything devoid of baleful ethnic bigotry defies imagination.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by nuesaweso(f): 1:01pm On Jul 13, 2009
Did u say it's a lie?

MEND said its fighters carried out the "unprecedented attack" on the Atlas Cove Jetty in Lagos harbour on Sunday night. It said in a statement that the "depot and loading tankers moored at the facility are currently on fire".

"We encountered some slight resistance from the Nigerian navy guarding the facility but they were easily over-powered. Over nine may have been injured or killed," said MEND.

Military, police and government spokesmen all confirmed the attack.

"We are aware of the attack on the Atlas Cove Jetty but the details are still sketchy. But we must say that the MEND has exaggerated in its statement," a naval spokesman, Captain Henry Babalola, told AFP.

"We have heard of the attack but we are trying to get facts surrounding it," Lagos State police spokesman, Frank Mba said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090713/wl_afp/nigeriaoilunrest_20090713101531;_ylt=Akff7tKzZlX_B78AkIGJWYKQOrgF;_ylu=X3oDMTJuc2k0cjJuBGFzc2V0A2FmcC8yMDA5MDcxMy9uaWdlcmlhb2lsdW5yZXN0BHBvcwM5BHNlYwN5bl9wYWdpbmF0ZV9zdW1tYXJ5X2xpc3QEc2xrA25pZ2VyaWFucmViZQ--
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by rasputinn(m): 1:02pm On Jul 13, 2009
Exactly what facility was this?
Is it confirmed as yet?
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jul 13, 2009
My bad, let me quickly dash out to Oando to fill my tank.

Get ready for the mother of all fuel scarcity in Lagos and it's environs. if it is true sha!.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Jakumo(m): 1:05pm On Jul 13, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

Where is Becomerich to assist with satellite maps for God's sake?

Now that The Oracle's name has been formally invoked, let us bow our heads in silence while we await the answer from the mountain.

[size=18pt]BecomeRich :  Satellite Images Please ![/size]
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by MrCrackles(m): 1:08pm On Jul 13, 2009
rasputinn:

Exactly what facility was this?
Is it confirmed as yet?

I am keen to know as well. . . . . undecided
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by NegroNtns(m): 1:11pm On Jul 13, 2009
grin you know maybe thats a wrong move bringing him into something like this. It only makes matter worse, Im sorry.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by freezy(m): 1:13pm On Jul 13, 2009
ow11:

How do you posit they get the members of the FG to stop mortgaging Nigeria's future for houses in Mayfair and Longbeach?

What do you think they seek to achieve by destroying infrastructures? Newspaper headlines?

If they wanted to they will.

Yes, newspaper headlines, nothing more. 95% of us regular Nigerians do not even know what happens to these proceeds. . . why make life difficult for them? You want pips to join your crusade, ? Mos def not by blowing up stuff! I worked in the Niger delta for 3 years and I know exactly the state of affairs there. I also know the people I saw then were not this unreasonable. A bunch of lazy, misguded youth are channelling their energy into explosions, instead of intellect. I strongly support the urgent development of the Niger Delta, and up till this morning  MEND's cause. Cripple Shell, Mobil, Chevron, Agip(if they can get near). . . No wahala. Blow up Mosimi? A vandal's move and it seems MEND is loosing focus.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Beaf: 1:13pm On Jul 13, 2009
[Quote author=No2Atheism]
~~~It does not take a rocket scientist that attacking Lagos is a recipe for disaster on the part of MEND and the ethnic groups they claim to represent (of which Yorubas in Ondos ought to be amongst if truth be told), however it is obvious that MEND is not really out to protect Niger Delta interest, but really out to protect the interest of a few ethnic groups in the Niger Delta, considering that i have had reasons to understand that some Regions of Abia, Calabar, Port-Harcourt might not mono-ethnic hence the question, who is MEND actually representing (themselves or others)

. . .Yorubas . . .Yorubas . . .Yorubas blah, blah and other rubbish[/quote]

MEND bombed a major oil terminus. What does that have to do with Yoruba's. Abi you breath ozone?
MEND isn't fighting Yoruba's and the oil came from the Delta.

Please stop the cackling
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jul 13, 2009
MrCrackles:

I am keen to know as well. . . . . undecided

Roughly speaking, it's the main point of contact of vessels arriving Nigeria after the East Mole. It also Nigeria main off-loading bay and depot for refined petroleum products (AGO, Kero and PMS) comin into Nigeria.

It is highly STRATEGIC to the Nigerian economy since we imports over 70% of our refined petroleum products.  (ATLAS COVE JETTY is the only Legit receiving point in Nigeria.)
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by NegroNtns(m): 1:19pm On Jul 13, 2009
Cripple Shell, Mobil, Chevron, Agip(if they can get near). . . No wahala. Blow up Mosimi? A vandal's move and it seems MEND is loosing focus.

I share your concern but. . . Not, if the blown asset belongs to any of the mentioned companies.  I can only imagine that this is an extension of their reach but the targeted assets are still the same, those belonging to the oil companies.  But we dont have the full facts yet to say one way or the other.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by lakeside4love(m): 1:21pm On Jul 13, 2009
BIG BIG BIG LIE @ THIS REPORT.

I REPEAT ITS A BIG LIE.I STAY CLOSE TO THAT ISLAND(ATLAS COVE) N THERE HAS BEEN NO EXPLOSION WATSOEVER.SO WHOEVER POSTED THIS REPORT SHOULD PROVIDE PROOF AND LINKS.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Jakumo(m): 1:23pm On Jul 13, 2009
At this juncture I am reminded of the old saying that truth is always the first casualty of war.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Tylenol: 1:24pm On Jul 13, 2009
Do you really believe that what these militants fight for is development? Do you? Really? Honestly?

I agree with Dimeji Bankole. If that is the case, then let them demand this development from their State Governors. A single state in the South - South gets allocated revenue the amount of which exceeds those of all the North Eastern States combined. I mean, Rivers State receiving 20 something billion a month, shouldn't you hound Amaechi for development and leave inncoent people out of it?!

All this militancy is just a money making venture. Even if the extreme case were adopted and the South-South were given full control of its resources, oil bunkering and kidnappings would still continue. While this whole shenanigan might have started as a 'fight for freedom' or 'the seeking of justice and just due by the resource owners of the land' it has now become a very lucrative business which the principals have become accustomed to.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by wills(m): 1:25pm On Jul 13, 2009
Sent: 13 July 2009 00:54
Subject: Atlas Cove Lagos Attacked!

"No country is going to create wealth if its leaders exploit the economy to enrich themselves, No business wants to invest in a place where the government skims 20 percent off the top, No person wants to live in a society where the rule of law gives way to the rule of brutality and bribery, That is not democracy, that is tyranny, even if occasionally you sprinkle an election in there, and now is the time for that style of governance to end."
    - Barack H. Obama, President of the United States of America  (July 11, 2009)

The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) salutes our brother, Barack Obama for choosing Ghana over failed states such as Nigeria, Angola or Equatorial Guinea for his maiden official visit to sub-Saharan Africa.

This is a cheering message for ordinary Africans who will no longer have to tolerate watching the painful images on television of their corrupt leaders being warmly embraced by US Presidents.

If it were possible to delete images from our memory, many people will not hesitate to do away with the mismatched images of Reagan/Mobutu or Clinton/Obasanjo.

President Obama's candor has energized our movement and renewed our conviction in the ultimate triumph of justice. Because our fight for justice is happening in the type of country with a fraudulent electoral process, corrupt leadership and brutal military he described to parliament in Accra, we feel vindicated.

The problems facing our dear country Nigeria has nothing to do with militant freedom fighters but with the corrupt political leadership and certain arrogant tribes still living on past glory.

A boardroom or creek battle of epic proportion which will either emancipate the Niger Delta from over 50 years of tyranny or subject her to perpetual slavery was flagged off tonight by Hurricane Moses with a plague of warning attacks.

Led by a pillar of fire, heavily armed MEND fighters today, Sunday, July 12, 2009 at about 2230 Hrs carried out an unprecedented attack on the Atlas Cove Jetty in Lagos state. The depot and loading tankers moored at the facility are currently on fire.

The two-pronged approach of combining dialogue and intensifying attacks throughout the course of negotiations, will be the unique characteristics of Moses.

The Aaron team that will be put together after due consultations with stake holders from around the globe, militant commanders and Henry Okah, will present the time framed demands of the Niger Delta region to the President through the Timi Alaibe led Federal Government of Nigeria delegation.

MEND will as usual update the public on the progress being made as well as plagues being delivered.  

We want to assure our people and well wishers that we will not sell our birthright for a bowl of porridge because we are not committed to anyone but the people of the Niger Delta.

The mother of all plagues will be used as a last resort if the Nigerian Pharaohs show stubbornness over reasoning just as Moses did with the plague on the firstborn in ancient Egypt and the Americans with the plague of the atomic bomb in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.  

We sincerely hope for the sake of avoiding a total calamity that Egypt will not harden its heart and the exodus of our people to the promised land can commence as soon as possible.

God save Nigeria. God bless the Niger Delta. God bless our Freedom Fighters.

Jomo Gbomo

These boys are serious, and showing the power of having strategy, as against  the  Nigerian Federal government / Leadership being so clueless.
My personal stand though is this, MEND should refrain form further violence and loss of life’s in this struggle, but yes this struggle for good governance, and ousting of the ruling thieving cabal PDP is not just for the Niger delta alone, but for all of Nigeria must continues.  
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by jaybee3(m): 1:25pm On Jul 13, 2009
lakeside4love:

I REPEAT ITS A BIG LIE.I STAY CLOSE TO THAT ISLAND(ATLAS COVE) N THERE HAS BEEN NO EXPLOSION WATSOEVER.SO WHOEVER POSTED THIS REPORT SHOULD PROVIDE PROOF AND LINKS.

Seems that the reports are true though. Oil price as reported by bloomberg and yahoo finance have jumped up because of the attack in Nigeria
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by presido1: 1:25pm On Jul 13, 2009
lakeside4love:

They gave links from BBC, Vanguard and Yahoo and you are still looking for link. Pls go have an aye scan if u find it difficult to read.

All these nonsense should have been averted long ago but our politicians chose to play the superiority game.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by NegroNtns(m): 1:26pm On Jul 13, 2009

Could the hit have happened elsewhere and Atlas Cove was used in the reporting to minimize embarassment?  People like you can see AC and therefore disprove MEND's claim.  Is this Govt using propaganda to discredit MEND?
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by freezy(m): 1:29pm On Jul 13, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

I share your concern but. . . Not, if the blown asset belongs to any of the mentioned companies.  I can only imagine that this is an extension of their reach but the targeted assets are still the same, those belonging to the oil companies.  But we dont have the full facts yet to say one way or the other.    

Atlas Cove Jetty is (NNPC) Nigerian property. First built in 1979, and rebuilt by Messrs Julius Berger in 2000. You see why isaid mend is losing focus?
Putting it simply. blowing up PH refinery to get attention. Whose gonna suffer for that ? US!!!
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by NegroNtns(m): 1:29pm On Jul 13, 2009
Presido,

How dare you take the word of BBC and Yahoo against a eye witness report on the ground?  You want make I send MEND to ya backyard, ehn?
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Nobody: 1:29pm On Jul 13, 2009
Please can someone tell me how will the attack on Atlas cove Jetty caused panic in the International Oil Market?.

Me think ACJ is mainly a receiving point of IMPORTED REFINED PETROLEUM PRODUCT and[b] not an Export Terminal[/b].

Please guys let try to separate facts from fictions.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Beaf: 1:30pm On Jul 13, 2009
No nation has survived two civil wars. . .
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by NegroNtns(m): 1:32pm On Jul 13, 2009
Freezy, I feel you!
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by ow11(m): 1:32pm On Jul 13, 2009
freezy:

If they wanted to they will.

Yes, newspaper headlines, nothing more. 95% of us regular Nigerians do not even know what happens to these proceeds. . . why make life difficult for them? You want pips to join your crusade, ? Mos def not by blowing up stuff! I worked in the Niger delta for 3 years and I know exactly the state of affairs there. I also know the people I saw then were not this unreasonable. A bunch of lazy, misguded youth are channelling their energy into explosions, instead of intellect. I strongly support the urgent development of the Niger Delta, and up till this morning  MEND's cause. Cripple Shell, Mobil, Chevron, Agip(if they can get near). . . No wahala. Blow up Mosimi? A vandal's move and it seems MEND is loosing focus.

You sincerely believe a group of men will wake up and risk their lives for the wonderful prize of front page news on the Guardian! I am having a laugh.

You lived in the Delta for three years and you are an authority on the issues. Well, I would not begrudge your knowledge but MEND's activities have come in leaps and bounds; from election thugs to the menace they are today in the eyes of the looters in power and their sympathisers.

Nigerians need something new to speak for them and yes you can argue that MEND lacks the moral authority to be that voice but they are carrying a message and would continue to destroy Nigeria's vital facilities until Yar'adua and his ilk realise that they need to shift their focus from their pockets to the average Joe on the Nigerian street.

The crusade shouldn't be for the delta alone, it should be for the entire country as Nigerians have had the wrong end of the stick for far too long.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Beaf: 1:34pm On Jul 13, 2009
freezy:

Atlas Cove Jetty is (NNPC) Nigerian property. First built in 1979, and rebuilt by Messrs Julius Berger in 2000. You see why isaid mend is losing focus?
Putting it simply. blowing up PH refinery to get attention. Whose gonna suffer for that ? US!!!

Oh you think Niger Delta people should be slaves eh?
We hear wazobia and all that bullshit in Nigeria but people are waiting for Delta minorities to act first.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Ibime(m): 1:35pm On Jul 13, 2009
freezy:

MEND doesnt disriminate between Nigerian property and oil company property. Both can get it. The aim is to bring oil production down to 0 bpd. . . .its now 800,000, down from 2.4m bpd. . . . I say MEND are making very good progress. . . .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply)

Thugs Invade INEC Office In Agege. Chaos Ensues / Grant Presidential Pardon To Ibori, Ijaw Group Urges Jonathan - VANGUARD / Voters Receive Rotimi Akeredolu, Ondo APC Governorship Candidate (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.