Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,970 members, 7,835,242 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:30 AM

MEND Attacks Lagos - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / MEND Attacks Lagos (24298 Views)

Poll: If true, this attack is:

horrible: 67% (116 votes)
wonderful: 32% (55 votes)
This poll has ended

Boko Haram Attacks Monguno And Baga / This Is ARMED Mend. 48hrs Before The Explosions In Abuja. video. / Expect More Bombing, Mend Threatens (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by jaybee3(m): 1:37pm On Jul 13, 2009
ilugunboy:

Please can someone tell me how will the attack on Atlas cove Jetty caused panic in the International Oil Market?.

Me think ACJ is mainly a receiving point of IMPORTED REFINED PETROLEUM PRODUCT and[b] not an Export Terminal[/b].

Please guys let try to separate facts from fictions.

Any instability or panic = high market volatility = rise in crude oil price
Any news (negative or positive) creates havoc in the market
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by presido1: 1:39pm On Jul 13, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

Presido,
How dare you take the word of BBC and Yahoo against a eye witness report on the ground?  You want make I send MEND to ya backyard, ehn?
I can as well claim to be an eye witness. Its internet nobody knows where members type from. He might be Govt agent spreading their propaganda.

freezy:

Atlas Cove Jetty is (NNPC) Nigerian property. First built in 1979, and rebuilt by Messrs Julius Berger in 2000. You see why isaid mend is losing focus?
Putting it simply. blowing up PH refinery to get attention. Whose gonna suffer for that ? US!!!
You are a selfish bloke, let everybody suffer it then collectively we will all join to defeat the dynasty that put us all in this mess. remember a hungry man is an angry man.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by s5MBuyout: 1:40pm On Jul 13, 2009
These boys are serious, and showing the power of having strategy, as against  the  Nigerian Federal government / Leadership being so clueless.

Just wondering aloud, is NL part of the  Yara waster of public funds $5 internet, blogging and forum buyout deal? undecided.  Post get deleted by the admin, or tampered with so easily these days, or worse still posting rights denied. Hmmmmm….
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Beaf: 1:41pm On Jul 13, 2009
The International markets have seen how MEND absorbed the aircraft, amoured and naval bombardment; only to expand their sphere of influence.
They rightly believe Nigeria is on the brink. So prices go up.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by doyin13(m): 1:41pm On Jul 13, 2009
I am largely in support of MEND and their activities.

But the real fun would begin when ''they'' finally get control of the resources.

How they share the oil bounty would be a classic study in conflict management/regulation/resolution
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by MrCrackles(m): 1:42pm On Jul 13, 2009
Beaf:

No nation has survived two civil wars. . .

How many nations have had two civil wars?
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jul 13, 2009
Some poeple lives in some far and safe distant places and can afford to run their mouths and say some pretty stupid stuff on N/L.

HIM WHO THE GOD HAS SHOWN BENEVOLENCE SHOUD LEARN HOW TO BE HUMBLE
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jul 13, 2009
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by NegroNtns(m): 1:46pm On Jul 13, 2009
The aim is to bring oil production down to 0 bpd

I hope not.  The global economy right now does not leave much room for safeties. . .any total crippling will doom us. . . everybody, Hausa or not.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Beaf: 1:49pm On Jul 13, 2009
MrCrackles:

How many nations have had two civil wars?

Some are:
Serbia
Russia
Vietnam
There are more
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by s5MBuyout: 1:50pm On Jul 13, 2009
keep deleting my post, you sell out
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by presido1: 1:50pm On Jul 13, 2009
doyin13:

I am largely in support of MEND and their activities.
But the real fun would begin when ''they'' finally get control of the resources.
How they share the oil bounty would be a classic study in conflict management/regulation/resolution
Let the resulting conflict consume them if their will be any but then let them the control first.

Negro_Ntns:

I hope not.  The global economy right now does not leave much room for safeties. . .any total crippling will doom us. . . everybody, Hausa or not.
So the room global economy have now is for them to suffer while the global economy enjoy. Let it doom us so that we can go back to re-draw how we can co-exist as a nation.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by s5MBuyout: 1:52pm On Jul 13, 2009
Sent: 13 July 2009 00:54
Subject: Atlas Cove Lagos Attacked!

"No country is going to create wealth if its leaders exploit the economy to enrich themselves, No business wants to invest in a place where the government skims 20 percent off the top, No person wants to live in a society where the rule of law gives way to the rule of brutality and bribery, That is not democracy, that is tyranny, even if occasionally you sprinkle an election in there, and now is the time for that style of governance to end."
- Barack H. Obama, President of the United States of America (July 11, 2009)

The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) salutes our brother, Barack Obama for choosing Ghana over failed states such as Nigeria, Angola or Equatorial Guinea for his maiden official visit to sub-Saharan Africa.

This is a cheering message for ordinary Africans who will no longer have to tolerate watching the painful images on television of their corrupt leaders being warmly embraced by US Presidents.

If it were possible to delete images from our memory, many people will not hesitate to do away with the mismatched images of Reagan/Mobutu or Clinton/Obasanjo.

President Obama's candor has energized our movement and renewed our conviction in the ultimate triumph of justice. Because our fight for justice is happening in the type of country with a fraudulent electoral process, corrupt leadership and brutal military he described to parliament in Accra, we feel vindicated.

The problems facing our dear country Nigeria has nothing to do with militant freedom fighters but with the corrupt political leadership and certain arrogant tribes still living on past glory.

A boardroom or creek battle of epic proportion which will either emancipate the Niger Delta from over 50 years of tyranny or subject her to perpetual slavery was flagged off tonight by Hurricane Moses with a plague of warning attacks.

Led by a pillar of fire, heavily armed MEND fighters today, Sunday, July 12, 2009 at about 2230 Hrs carried out an unprecedented attack on the Atlas Cove Jetty in Lagos state. The depot and loading tankers moored at the facility are currently on fire.

The two-pronged approach of combining dialogue and intensifying attacks throughout the course of negotiations, will be the unique characteristics of Moses.

The Aaron team that will be put together after due consultations with stake holders from around the globe, militant commanders and Henry Okah, will present the time framed demands of the Niger Delta region to the President through the Timi Alaibe led Federal Government of Nigeria delegation.

MEND will as usual update the public on the progress being made as well as plagues being delivered.

We want to assure our people and well wishers that we will not sell our birthright for a bowl of porridge because we are not committed to anyone but the people of the Niger Delta.

The mother of all plagues will be used as a last resort if the Nigerian Pharaohs show stubbornness over reasoning just as Moses did with the plague on the firstborn in ancient Egypt and the Americans with the plague of the atomic bomb in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

We sincerely hope for the sake of avoiding a total calamity that Egypt will not harden its heart and the exodus of our people to the promised land can commence as soon as possible.

God save Nigeria. God bless the Niger Delta. God bless our Freedom Fighters.

Jomo Gbomo
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Jakumo(m): 1:54pm On Jul 13, 2009
So, after all the hot air expended here, are we talking about an event that never actually took place, and in fact originated in the firtile imagination of a stock broker hoping to boost the value of crude oil to make a quick killing ?
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Ibime(m): 1:56pm On Jul 13, 2009
Jakumo:

So, after all the hot air expended here, are we talking about an event that never actually took place, and in fact originated in the firtile imagination of a stock broker hoping to boost the value of crude oil to make a quick killing ?

What d'ya mean. . . . Nigerian military officials have confirmed the attack. . .

$5M-Buyout:

keep deleting my post, you sell out

relax. . . . its the auto-spam function deleting ya posts. . .
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Jakumo(m): 1:59pm On Jul 13, 2009
Ibime:

What d'ya mean. . . . Nigerian military officials have confirmed the attack. . .

Well a few posts ago there was a guy who claimed to live right where the bombs supposedly went off, and he claims not to have heard a thing.    I suppose he could have missed the noise if his stereo was turned up.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Beaf: 2:03pm On Jul 13, 2009

Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by presido1: 2:04pm On Jul 13, 2009
Jakumo:

Well a few posts ago there was a guy who claimed to live right where the bombs supposedly went off, and he claims not to have heard a thing.    I suppose he could have missed the noise if his stereo was turned up.
Anybody can claim to live anywhere, I might claim i saw the flame coming from that direction. At the moment we are still not sure but don't rule out such attack.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by doyin13(m): 2:05pm On Jul 13, 2009
Walahi. . .anytime I see this Gbomo Gbomo's writing. . . IBIME keeps coming to my mind.

But I know Ibime no get heart like that. He will turn red even before action cheesy cheesy tongue
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Beaf: 2:10pm On Jul 13, 2009
Confirmation
LAGOS (AFP) — Nigerian rebels have taken their battle with the government into the country's main city, targetting an oil tanker loading facility in Lagos harbour in an unprecedented attack on the metropolis.

The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) said the attack had left the facility in flames after the sound of an explosion just before midnight on Sunday reverberated across the city of 16 million people.

The government later confirmed the attack which came hours before treason charges against one of MEND's senior leaders were expected to be dropped as part of an amnesty deal.

The MEND campaign against Nigeria's main oil facilities over the past three years have badly hit much needed oil revenues.

MEND said its fighters carried out the "unprecedented attack" on the Atlas Cove Jetty in Lagos harbour on Sunday night. It said in a statement that the "depot and loading tankers moored at the facility are currently on fire".

"We encountered some slight resistance from the Nigerian navy guarding the facility but they were easily over-powered. Over nine may have been injured or killed," said MEND.

Military, police and government spokesmen all confirmed the attack.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5j-cWAGjN8csjv9xvNtuErXz8asNA

Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jul 13, 2009
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Ibime(m): 2:12pm On Jul 13, 2009
Jakumo:

Well a few posts ago there was a guy who claimed to live right where the bombs supposedly went off, and he claims not to have heard a thing.    I suppose he could have missed the noise if his stereo was turned up.

Does he live inside the water?. . . . and how many kilometres offshore. . . .  grin grin grin

I would expect this to be a small explosion, perhaps not visible from land. . .

doyin13:

Walahi. . .anytime I see this Gbomo Gbomo's writing. . . IBIME keeps coming to my mind.

But I know Ibime no get heart like that. He will turn red even before action cheesy cheesy tongue

Why do you think Jomo Gbomo was always there whenever there was a shoot-out with JTF, yet he survived countless times to regale us with tales of the action. . . . by law of probability, he should be dead by now. . . . Jomo Gbomo is probably not even in Nigeria. . . . so it could be anyone, even someone on Nairaland!  grin cool
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by doyin13(m): 2:13pm On Jul 13, 2009
Forget the military. . . .the intelligence agencies in nigeria have proved to be so inept
they are an insult to the word intelligence.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by presido1: 2:15pm On Jul 13, 2009
kizzyaka:

The sad thing is if this attack actually occured the likes of Shell, Exxon-mobil, chevron will be making amazing profits from the higher oil prices. Though their production is now lower in Nigeria, they make it up and more from other countries due to higher prices. I think they love it. The only loser here is Nigeria.
And that is exactly what MEND want and if they achieve it they will feel great. Now the losers are ND they want everybody in Nigeria to be part of it.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by naijaking1: 2:21pm On Jul 13, 2009
Kaduna should have been a better target than Lagos
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by freezy(m): 2:24pm On Jul 13, 2009
ow11:

You sincerely believe a group of men will wake up and risk their lives for the wonderful prize of front page news on the Guardian! I am having a laugh.

You lived in the Delta for three years and you are an authority on the issues. Well, I would not begrudge your knowledge but MEND's activities have come in leaps and bounds; from election thugs to the menace they are today in the eyes of the looters in power and their sympathisers.

Nigerians need something new to speak for them and yes you can argue that MEND lacks the moral authority to be that voice but they are carrying a message and would continue to destroy Nigeria's vital facilities until Yar'adua and his ilk realise that they need to shift their focus from their pockets to the average Joe on the Nigerian street.

The crusade shouldn't be for the delta alone, it should be for the entire country as Nigerians have had the wrong end of the stick for far too long.

Nigerians will speak for themselves. We dont need Mend to destroy property that will cost only God knows how much to repair in the name of speaking.

Beaf:

Oh you think Niger Delta people should be slaves eh?
We hear wazobia and all that bullshit in Nigeria but people are waiting for Delta minorities to act first.

Nobody is waiting for minorities to react. Black market sells. Oil for arms. Who does not know that is what mend thrives on. Mend should take a look at the life of Mahatma Ghandi. There are so many lessons to be learnt

Ibime:

MEND doesnt disriminate between Nigerian property and oil company property. Both can get it. The aim is to bring oil production down to 0 bpd. . . .its now 800,000, down from 2.4m bpd. . . . I say MEND are making very good progress. . . .

Thou Ignoramus. To stop BPD, you dont attack Atlas cove, an import section. You attack shell, chevron ,etc You think crude oil is mined @ atlas cove?

presido1:

You are a selfish bloke, let everybody suffer it then collectively we will all join to defeat the dynasty that put us all in this mess. remember a hungry man is an angry man.

And angry men don't think straight. Most descisions made when angry are mostatimes regretted. Call me selfish? If protecting what was built not by investors, but our taxes and all stuff to make life easier, then you have a point.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by NegroNtns(m): 2:27pm On Jul 13, 2009
Let it doom us so that we can go back to re-draw how we can co-exist as a nation.

re-draw?  co-exist?  There will be no nation!  

No, not at all. . . no, there can never be a legitimate global alternative to justify the inequities.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by nuesaweso(f): 2:35pm On Jul 13, 2009
Why this attack dey vex Yoruba people sef? No be all of us get Lagos?
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Beaf: 2:38pm On Jul 13, 2009
freezy:

~~~And angry men don't think straight. Most descisions made when angry are mostatimes regretted. Call me selfish? If protecting what was built not by investors, but our taxes and all stuff to make life easier, then you have a point.

Somebody wake that guy up!!!
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by NegroNtns(m): 2:40pm On Jul 13, 2009
Your access into Lagos is in exchange for Oil from South.  Thats your visa. Let us know when you finish blowing all the oil depot for Lagos finish.  Your visa is about to expire.

No mind me o. . . that na my mischief side   cool
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Nobody: 2:44pm On Jul 13, 2009
you guys here are just arguing over rumours. what bird brain. even if the niger delta, were given control of their own resources, who would drill the oil out? mend? those that don't even know how to speak english.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Sunnybobo3(m): 2:49pm On Jul 13, 2009
The oracle BECOMERICH is about to bombard us with satelite images of Atlas cove and Navigation routes of the militants. BECOMERICH oya!!!!![b][/b]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply)

Ballot Papers Stolen by APC In Ogudu Kosofe LGA / North Will Not Cede Power To South In 2023 — Arewa Youth Consultative Forum / Christmas Day: Boko Haram Bomb Catholic Church In Madalla

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.