Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,215 members, 7,811,592 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:16 PM

Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad - Gaming (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad (15901 Views)

Sony Playstation Network Has Been Hacked Finally! / Sony Changes Playstation 3 Ad After Nigerian Government Complains / How To Convert Video And Transfer It To Sony Psp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by pete(m): 3:29am On Sep 09, 2009
I'll start by saying, you may get robbed in Bronx at 6pm before you do in Ikeja. However, I must say that,Sony did not give us that reputation we-our yahoo yahoo brothers- gave us the reputation. Is Sony right to use it? yes and no. Yes because, its American culture to joke in that manner. Its a joke. Americans joke in such fashion with Italians, Mexicans e.t.c. Its not racial, it just stigmatizes Nigeria in a way that she is been portrayed.
 Check this out, Bank of America has in its training Manual "Nigerian Scam Practice". Think they made that up? for no reason?, by the way, one of their chief instructors in Massachusetts is Nigerian, she had to teach the topic,maybe she should have resigned from a 72k paying job.

As a Nigerian, I got a job in the Attorney generals office in 2002.Our office open line got a Nigerian Fax, promising oil deals, 3 weeks before I resumed. Wonder why my appointment was not withdrawn?join the club.

I'm by no means lending credence to Sony's behavior, what I'm saying is that, I'm not ignorant to the fact that,we earned that reputation. Mrs "Akinluyi" should not have responded to it at all. He should have allowed people like me and you do that.Why? because, it gives Sony governmental attention.
 '
Also, I think the Ad is been remade/censored. I saw it on TV last night and its without the "Nigerian Millionaire" comment. So lets thread wisely and not feign ignorance of the scenario. we even have Nigerian singers reference our "scam identity" some even praise it.
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by pete(m): 3:34am On Sep 09, 2009
@geniusbami,
let me us your quote here "remember: No can ride on your back unless it is bent." I think Sony is riding because the few scammers have bent our bank as a Nation, right?
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by platinumnk(f): 4:44am On Sep 09, 2009
will all of yall stop riding SONY?? angry angry
angry angry angry angry angry

They changed the commercial for goodness sakes! The commercial came on twice today and no mention of Nigeria.

Instead they say "thats how world war 1 started."

sheesh, its not like they were lying anyway tongue tongue tongue
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by davidif: 5:43am On Sep 09, 2009
[size=28pt]HA HA HA HA HA HA, THE COMMERCIAL IS VERY VERY FUNNY. WHAT A CLASSIC. I WOULD NEVER FORGET THAT LINE [/size]

"Bernie you can't believe everything you read on the internet, otherwise i'd be a Nigerian millionaire by now." ha ha ha ha ha.

WHAT A CLASSIC COMMERCIAL. ABSOLUTELY PRICELESS he he he 

I saw the commercial yesterday with my yanki rommate and we laughed. My other yanki roommate also asks me why he gets too many e-mails from Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by davidif: 5:45am On Sep 09, 2009
pete

did you lose your job at the AG's office because of that??
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by 3kay945(m): 6:22am On Sep 09, 2009
truth is a bitter pill to swallow my mouth is wide open 2ve it in cheesy uhmm, the ad taste nice ;P ;P pls stop bringin in those names, soyinka,gani,kalu etc. the likes of them re too few in this country.! beside where do they reside!? 9ja
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by FBS: 6:29am On Sep 09, 2009
sony can go to. . . tongue

To those saying the ad is cool I ask you
- Are all Nigerians scammers? - NO
- Are most Nigerians scammers? - NO

The level of scam in the US and russia alone pass water for indian ocean but we never heard any reference to that.

Therefore Sony can go f.u.ck themselves and their stupid ad along with those in support. It is an insult on the Nation and responsible Nigerians.

PS: Btw, why did they change that line in the ad if they felt it's ok to "joke" like that?
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by jimuchy: 8:03am On Sep 09, 2009
why all of una dey vex no be wetin dem no us for make govt change then the people go change as long as thiefs are still in govt things will never change
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by german007(m): 8:07am On Sep 09, 2009
@ jimuchy

WELL SAID.  thats the point iv beern trying to make.

LIKE I SAID EARLIER

Lets all be realistic.

Yea sony was wrong for the derogatory advert. But at the end of the day our goverment instead of wasting their energy reacting, they should instead focus on rebranding themselves and fixing this country. How can we call our selves Giant of Africa and some of us dont even have one full day of electricity a week, even our national airports experience power cuts and we have brown water coming out of our taps, and have a high percentage of unemployed graduates?.

Instead the nation's money is being embezzled by greedy politicians and goverment officials with their potbellies growing bigger, with houses all over the world, foreign accounts, you name it.

Dora Akinluyi and all other top goverment officials should rebrand them selves before talking about rebranding nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by novaman: 8:29am On Sep 09, 2009
Show me an American, an Indian, an Englishman, an Italian, a Lebanes and I will show you a fraudster. There is more crime in New York alone than in west and east Africa put together. Govt shuld cancel all contracts wit Sony, and ensure that the import duty of bringing Sony products into the country is increase 100 times higher other than brands, serious govt cannot accept this nonsense, it wasn't a mistake by Sony so they shud keep their apology
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 9:12am On Sep 09, 2009
I am sorry for my people, very very sorry in fact the shame i feel right now can be compared to walking the streets drunk and naked only to arrive in a church and suddenly become sober.

Are we soooo stupid (poor ability to learn from experience or take advantage of it.)

Please my people, put on your thinking caps, when you play soccer games and come up against Cameroon we always figure the bias will be for Cameroon to lose the game by getting loads of Red Cards (We no see Cameroon complain)

Play Hitman I, II, Contracts and you will wonder whether Russia or Italy is the center of crime and prostitution worldwide, what about Drug Wars, did you not notice the in-depth attention given to drug smuggling locations within Colombia (did the Colombians complain?)

These games make mega bucks (billions of dollars) because of the element of realism and if it takes solid information gathering to make the game based on facts, why then are we bloody complaining.

I fear this Old Hag of an Information Minister will expend the last remnants of her energy making the intelligent community laugh at her poor knowledge of how things work in a global eco-system.
[size=20pt]
You do not fight the symptom, you fight the disease,, (Nigerians for once accept the truth and stop covering it up or denying it[/size]

Grand Ma DORA. retract your statement and make an apology to SONY
after all i do not see you buying Nigerian Music more than the ones produced and licensed by SONY

Do your home-work, recognise the forces at play, your Job is not as Straight and Narrow as arresting fake drug manufacturers and burning up their products in front of national TV.

Please leave nonsense and do your Work, you only have a couple of years to go and teh world over. Nigeria is known for one thing only (and it is not our Soccer TEAM)
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by savesoul(m): 10:04am On Sep 09, 2009
novaman:

Show me an American, an Indian, an Englishman, an Italian, a Lebanes and I will show you a fraudster. There is more crime in New York alone than in west and east Africa put together. Govt shuld cancel all contracts wit Sony, and ensure that the import duty of bringing Sony products into the country is increase 100 times higher other than brands, serious govt cannot accept this nonsense, it wasn't a mistake by Sony so they shud keep their apology

Abeg help me tell dem ooooo, Na lebanese own even worse past, thier own scamming na face-to-face grin
lagerwhenindoubt:

I am sorry for my people, very very sorry in fact the shame i feel right now can be compared to walking the streets drunk and naked only to arrive in a church and suddenly become sober.

Are we soooo stupid (poor ability to learn from experience or take advantage of it.)

Please my people, put on your thinking caps, when you play soccer games and come up against Cameroon we always figure the bias will be for Cameroon to lose the game by getting loads of Red Cards (We no see Cameroon complain)

Play Hitman I, II, Contracts and you will wonder whether Russia or Italy is the center of crime and prostitution worldwide, what about Drug Wars, did you not notice the in-depth attention given to drug smuggling locations within Colombia (did the Colombians complain?)

These games make mega bucks (billions of dollars) because of the element of realism and if it takes solid information gathering to make the game based on facts, why then are we bloody complaining.

I fear this Old Hag of an Information Minister will expend the last remnants of her energy making the intelligent community laugh at her poor knowledge of how things work in a global eco-system.
[size=20pt]
You do not fight the symptom, you fight the disease,, (Nigerians for once accept the truth and stop covering it up or denying it[/size]

Grand Ma DORA. retract your statement and make an apology to SONY
after all i do not see you buying Nigerian Music more than the ones produced and licensed by SONY

Do your home-work, recognise the forces at play, your Job is not as Straight and Narrow as arresting fake drug manufacturers and burning up their products in front of national TV.

Please leave nonsense and do your Work, you only have a couple of years to go and teh world over. Nigeria is known for one thing only (and it is not our Soccer TEAM)

Mr Man see, nobody is denying the truth, all we are saying is why call that word "NIGERIAN" ? That is very besotted!
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by PAININASS: 10:15am On Sep 09, 2009
Only to remove the advert off websites or sue sony to court?what a useless country!
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by Cogito(m): 11:06am On Sep 09, 2009
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by SmashingM(f): 11:25am On Sep 09, 2009
Words would not solve these. Have you guys forgotten how a billboard with the inscription "Beware of Nigerians" was posted in one of the international airports abroad? Legal action should be taken to curtail would-be offenders.
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by GeorgeD1(m): 11:54am On Sep 09, 2009
appology or not, i'm done with sony products! they're all full of fakes and immitation
from china these days anyway! angry
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by Nobody: 1:20pm On Sep 09, 2009
"You can't believe everything you read on the internet."

As a citizen of the internet I am HIGHLY OFFENDED by this slur against myself and my digital homeland's reputation.

I demand an apology and your bank details
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by spoilt(f): 1:22pm On Sep 09, 2009
Isnt it because of the uproar that the commercial was remade?  grin
Apparently if we relied on those who thought it was ok and even thought it was funny that commercial would still be playing in its original form. Nigerians have gotten so used to being butts of jokes and being treated poorly that they cant even demand respect when its due them. I work my butt off every dam n day, I pay my taxes and I volunteer for my community. I do not expect to sit down after a gruelsome day and flip on my TV and watch rubbish clothed under the guise of selling toys.
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by GeorgeD1(m): 1:35pm On Sep 09, 2009
it'a so sad to see that people will gladly receive any bashing from companies
like sony because they think 'they're only saying the truth'! look how servile
we have become in our thinking!
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by Nobody: 1:37pm On Sep 09, 2009
spoilt:

Isnt it because of the uproar that the commercial was remade?  grin
Apparently if we relied on those who thought it was ok and even thought it was funny that commercial would still be playing in its original form. Nigerians have gotten so used to being butts of jokes and being treated poorly that they cant even demand respect when its due them. I work my butt off every dam n day, I pay my taxes and I volunteer for my community. I do not expect to sit down after a gruelsome day and flip on my TV and watch rubbish clothed under the guise of selling toys.

GBAM!!!!

and BTW,am still waiting for SONY's bank details
just to drive home the point that we are indeed scammers, what better way to prove it to them than to embezzle their account.That would give them material for their next commercial.

NONSENSE
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by Nobody: 1:39pm On Sep 09, 2009
George_D:

it'a so sad to see that people will gladly receive any bashing from companies
like sony because they think 'they're only saying the truth'! look how servile
we have become in our thinking!

thank you my brother
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by maedan(f): 1:50pm On Sep 09, 2009
@ platinumk- - -- - Wow, so they've "adjusted" the advert?!? Better! I hope they understand they are influencing the minds of the mostly young populace which are their major customers. When young people group up hearing such things about a country, the negative label and idea sticks, and thus more hate and distrust of Nigeria is encouraged. This is how it starts, trust me.
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by DeJeffo: 2:03pm On Sep 09, 2009
Listen up people, I dont think Sony have committed a crime that warrant sd company being hung by the neck , but at the same time I believe its about time we as Nigerians- in d spirit of patriotism start taking our National image seriously, just cos d americans r always making condescending jokes doesn't mean we should we should just take in d ass!! As for Good Ol Dora, we have other really pressing issues at hand she should focus on them ain't nothin more 2 do on this matter.
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by saintade01(m): 2:09pm On Sep 09, 2009
Update: Patrick Seybold, senior director of corporate communications at SCEA says that the company pulled the ad shortly after it first began airing in response to customer complaints. The official PlayStation web site features the following apology: "It has come to our attention that a recent TV advertisement for PlayStation may have offended some members of the Nigerian community. We never intended to create a situation that would upset anyone, and we have taken action to immediately remove the advertisement from the air. We apologize to anyone this may have offended."
sad
Campaign after Election. the deed has be done already, i guess they would have even achieved their aims by now.
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by Gamine(f): 3:01pm On Sep 09, 2009
My country o, A comedian's heaven.

i can only laugh, either that or stark raving madness
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by Nobody: 3:07pm On Sep 09, 2009
"It has come to our attention that a recent TV advertisement for PlayStation may have offended some members of the Nigerian community.

"some" members of the Nigerian community.

Of course the people who give the country its bad name wouldnt be offended by such things.

na wa.
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by novaman: 3:59pm On Sep 09, 2009
@ savesoul

you are so wrong, because colombia continue to accept the bashing the western world is given to them doesn't mea we should d the same, whether Italians or the rest of the bashed country do the same, doesn't mean we should, WE ARE NIGERIAN in case you do know and we are not prepared to continue to take the insult, we should compel our government to do more in the area of stopping the nonsense.

even the 419 thing we are even talking about am so sure that we are not as corrupt as the American or the Italians or even the Japanese, we know the number of people killed in NewYork alone cannot be compared to any where in the world, so why the noice about Naija being the most corrupt nations, that is complete rubbish, or have you people forgetten about Hallibutton that is even connected to the former US Vice President; we know those dirty deals that is also linked to the Italian Leader, I don't even want to talk about the Bush Family and their own dirty deals.

Solution: Let the government searching and identify about 10 movie producers; ask them to produce at least 2 image boosting film about Naija, and one soup opera, let the government invest about 200 milion in one movie alone and ensure the movies are world class; support these producers to match the counterpart in others parts of the world. Also the government should replicate the Tinapa film studio in all the 6 geo-political zones in order for small producers to also have a chance to produce top class films. This investment must also be protected with a strict copyright law that will ensure that there is return on investment, which will be share between the government and the producers, so that the following year their will be available funds for similar project, this will run for about 10 to 15 year to ensure that we have our own studio that is capable to standing the likes of 20th Century FOX etc.

We should also create similar solution for all our sporting association whereby the sport ministry will be task to ensure that only people with committed hearts for the sport and the image Nigeria, and also have the capacity to independently secure funding are allowed to run the association; were there wil be a budget of 2Billion and the government will grant such association 500million for take off, while the officials of the particular sports will source for 1.5Billion.

We should also find similar areas to support our researchers in science and technology; give them grants.
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by novaman: 4:05pm On Sep 09, 2009
the government should invest heavily in the promotion of our image serious as such will over shadow the dirty things about a fraction of our population that is the same thing the Amercian government is using Hollywood to achieve; we could also think of dropping the name nollywood and embark on compell the country to creat a beffiting name for the film and movie industry that has no similarity with HOLLY or WOOD.
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by Kobojunkie: 4:18pm On Sep 09, 2009
novaman:

the government should invest heavily in the promotion of our image serious as such will over shadow the dirty things about a fraction of our population that is the same thing the Amercian government is using Hollywood to achieve; we could also think of dropping the name nollywood and embark on compell the country to creat a beffiting name for the film and movie industry that has no similarity with HOLLY or WOOD.

In order words, embark on putting make up on the pig as way of making the pig finer and more acceptable?? lol
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by GeorgeD1(m): 7:07pm On Sep 09, 2009
saintade01:

Campaign after Election. the deed has be done already, i guess they would have even achieved their aims by now.

yes, i'm sure they have achieved their aim alright. they have succeeded in driving right-thinking nigerians away from their products. now lg and samsung can smile to the banks! grin
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by Kobojunkie: 7:30pm On Sep 09, 2009
George_D:

yes, i'm sure they have achieved their aim alright. they have succeeded in driving right-thinking nigerians away from their products. now lg and samsung can smile to the banks! grin

That is a bogus as claiming the chinese have been able to drive "right-thinking" nigerians away from their products by continously producing and fueling Nigeria with low quality goods. Open your eyes please and stop deceiving self!!! lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Help Installing Pes 17 / Different Types Of People You Meet In An Online Video Game / FIFA 19 PC Black Pitch issue...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.