Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,462 members, 7,770,147 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 05:50 AM

Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available (630001 Views)

Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 / Doctor In The House: Free Medical Advice Available / Pharmacist In The House:free Medicines Advice Available (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (305) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 2:44pm On Apr 09, 2006
Need to know how old you are. Need to know whether you have had children and how long this has been going on for. Do you suffer from SI. Best to send perosnal message myself or nicetohave
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Kave(m): 6:22pm On Apr 18, 2006
Hi doc, bout my mouth. And my tongue. Part of the tongue is smooth. -u know it ought to b a lil bit rough. Like towel. Then the side of my cheek, i mean inside o.,it's a lil bit whitish thats where the upper and lower sets of teeth meet.Its like mouth ulcer.I just started using TCP today. I hope it works sha.But i have this feeling that it has something to do wit oral . . . . Care. Because,i tink it has a connection wit my stomach, . . Wit this,am sacred to kiss a girl.Don know if its infectious.
It even makes my eyes become a lil bit dim,. Then,please wat is the english name for jedi jedi. And wat is the drug u wud recommend for it?Every time i drink juice,soft drinks or even orange,by the next day,i start having real waste pain.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by depressed: 3:45am On Apr 24, 2006
Would smokin aspirin kill you instantly? Me and my friend are having a debate.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 5:24pm On Apr 25, 2006
Why do you want to smoke aspirin. That is new on me.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nicetohave(m): 3:56am On Apr 26, 2006
Me too

before i go on how do you go about smoking it, i have a few ideas in mind but not sure which one youd chose;

but if youre still interested in smoking it, well maybe it wont kill you instantly but it will do a whole lot of damage to your liver and kidney that youd wish you had died instantly. sorry if i mix with some sarcasm
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by gentleone(f): 11:54am On Apr 26, 2006
hey docs, what causes UTI's?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Rolly: 3:10pm On Apr 26, 2006
@ nicetohave. you are back!!!!!!!!

Oh My God, u are finally back!!!!!!!!!

cry cry cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

how did ur exams go? are u still here or u have gone back?
how r u doing?
patients and doctors pls forgive me for barging in like this embarassed
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 1:55pm On Apr 27, 2006
UTIs are caused mainly by bacteria. More common in women and could affect any part of the urinary system. That is kidney, ureter, bladder, urethra and prostate in the male. Poor hygiene like wiping yourself back to front,so introducing bacteria from the anal region to urogenital area(vagina and urethral opening). Not drinking enough fluids, people with illness that run down their immune system. For most people its hygiene and lack of fluids. Dont confuse this with cystitis
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 1:56pm On Apr 27, 2006
Nicetohave, you definitely have a fan in Rolly!!!
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by gentleone(f): 4:24pm On Apr 27, 2006
UTIs are caused mainly by bacteria. More common in women and could affect any part of the urinary system. That is kidney, ureter, bladder, urethra and prostate in the male. Poor hygiene like wiping yourself back to front,so introducing bacteria from the anal region to urogenital area(vagina and urethral opening). Not drinking enough fluids, people with illness that run down their immune system. For most people its hygiene and lack of fluids. Dont confuse this with cystitis

umm, thanks doc,what if one is hygenic and takes a lot of fluids?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 5:15pm On Apr 27, 2006
In some circumstances there might be a pathological problem in the urinary tract. Some people have dilated kidneys, some have whats called reflux, it could be little pockets in the bladder called diverticulum. If a man or boy gets recurrent UTIs the urinary tract needs investigating either with an intravenous urogram IVU or CT Scan version of it. Ultrasound scan of the urinary tract is done sometimes
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Rolly: 5:24pm On Apr 27, 2006
i heard of those pockets before. they say they are very bad. i even saw some pics. eewwww! vey nasty!!!
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 9:17am On May 11, 2006
For all you budding medical students and doctors in Nigeria, they have changed the rules about working in the UK. It is more difficult. They have to appoint a local graduate or someone from the European Union before they can consider anyone else for training posts. You might find yourselves frustrated with applying for jobs in the UK unless you know someone high up! For those wanting to go abroad, America might be the best options. Try sitting your examinations when medical school stuff is still fresh in your head
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Rolly: 2:21pm On May 11, 2006
ok!!!! thank you!!!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nicetohave(m): 10:49pm On May 17, 2006
Balogun:

Nicetohave, you definitely have a fan in Rolly!!!

yeah sir i do, she's a cute soul aint she?  cheesy

Balogun:

For all you budding medical students and doctors in Nigeria, they have changed the rules about working in the UK. It is more difficult. They have to appoint a local graduate or someone from the European Union before they can consider anyone else for training posts. You might find yourselves frustrated with applying for jobs in the UK unless you know someone high up! For those wanting to go abroad, America might be the best options. Try sitting your examinations when medical school stuff is still fresh in your head

A sharp contrast to what happened this year in the US, where the percentage of the IMG matching into residency programs reached a record high.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by gentleone(f): 4:47pm On May 18, 2006
In some circumstances there might be a pathological problem in the urinary tract. Some people have dilated kidneys, some have whats called reflux, it could be little pockets in the bladder called diverticulum. If a man or boy gets recurrent UTIs the urinary tract needs investigating either with an intravenous urogram IVU or CT Scan version of it. Ultrasound scan of the urinary tract is done sometimes
ok, thanks doc.

another question, what causes that feeling that something is moving in one's head and itching(not serious) all over from time to time?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by onitcha(m): 2:54pm On May 20, 2006
Good day doctor, I realy want to appreciate what you are doing here as am sure you are really helping alot of people by it.Am a young man of 22 years old but am faced with the problem of having a very small urinogenitals and don't know what to do about it.Please is there anything I can do and is there really a solution? I have tried to live with it the way it is but I really can't.I reside in Onitcha a town in Nigeria.And there are lots of tradomedical doctors who claim to have cure.But is it advisable for me to try them.I dont even know what is actually the cause of this problem that is making me very negative about life.Please can you tell me what axactly I Can do? If there is any body who read this and can help please I will greatly appreciate.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 6:47pm On May 22, 2006
Onitcha, we are all different in life. Some people are tall, some are short, some have big joysticks, some have not so big joysticks. It is not what you have, it is how you use it. The average male size is about 6". I wouldn't go for any of the traditional doctors. There is nothing they can do. There are some surgical interventions that are expensive. There is the release of a ligament at the base of the penis and introducing some of the fatty tissue from the body that has blood supply around the shaft of penis. Too complex and not worth the stress.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by zogo(m): 8:35pm On Jun 02, 2006
Tenx Dr. for presentin urself to this house, God understands right. keep it up.
Firstly, i wan to ask wat culd be the cause of small penis and weak erection in a male, and hw can it be corected?
Also profer solution to the problem of quick ejaculaion.
tenx!
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 4:42pm On Jun 05, 2006
Small penis is a genetic problem. Weak erection might be due to lack of proper stimulation. Do you get weak erection when you masturbate. Weak erection can be treated with quite a few things. This includes sildenafil or any of the phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors. Premature ejaculation is an age old problem. This is all psychological. You need to make sure your partner and you are in control of your heightened stimulation. Avoid alcohol. Have a sympathetic partner that loves you
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Kave(m): 6:58am On Jun 07, 2006
Hi doc,its me.Bin here once.About my health.My tongue is peeling.It has a smooth like look.Sometimes my eyes feel pale, I min as if i just drank alcohol.Den,i tink this has somtin to do wit my stomach ache.Ril pain.I also feel dizzy at times.I cud just stand up and i feel like falling bak down.So far,no doctor has bin able to tell me wats up wit me, I'v spent a lot now since last year.
Pls help me out.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nicetohave(m): 1:37pm On Jun 07, 2006
The tongue is like a window to the state of health, most systemic diseases will leave their footprint on your tongue and even though that may be the patients presenting complaint, the problem with the tongue will hardly be the major concern of the physician.

What you have described fit into a condition called ATROPHIC GLOSSITIS, which can be due to anything from iron deficiency to pernicious anemia.

Putting all your symptoms together i would say you may be suffering from chronic vitamin B12 deficiency resulting from the pernicious anemia. Now this condition is an auto immune problem and you cant solve it just by taking in vitamin B12. You need to see a physician and discuss this possibility with them. I suggest you go to LUTH or UCH, i still have more confidence in the government hospitals than the private ones, with good reasons.

As i say the tongue says a lot about your state of health, however your condition may be something else and you will need a whole lot of extensive blood tests which your doctors will discuss with you but i will still put PERNICIOUS ANEMIA as my first differential as you seem to have developed other neurological complications (as explained by your falling back) which can result from the B12 deficiency and still give you the smooth tongue and pale look.

Make an appointment at UCH or LUTH to see a doctor. The Lord be with you and grant you good health and healing.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Kave(m): 10:33pm On Jun 07, 2006
Tenks doc.I'll do as u say, Luth or uch
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jun 08, 2006
DOCTOR
WHAT USUALLY IS THE CAUSE OF DELAYED MENSES?
LAST TIME MINE WAS DELAYED FOR 2 WHOLE WEEKS. INFACT I GOT SO SCARED, I THOT I WAS ALREADY GOING INTO MY MENOPAUSE YEARS AT 28

IT HAS NEVER HAPPENED TO ME AS MY PERIOD IS ALWAYS REGULAR.

DO I STILL NEED TO SEE A DOCTOR ABOUT THIS?

SECONDLY I HAVE A FRIEND WHO IS A REGULAR CUSTOMER FOR CANDIDAISIS, WHAT DRUGS SHOULD SHE TAKE TO COMPLETELY STOP IT AS ITS BECOMING SOMETHING ELSE. HER OWN IS SO BAD THAT SHE SOMETIMES HAVE HEAVY DISCHARGE FROM , (U KNOW) shocked shocked shocked shocked

I MADE HER TAKE DIFULCAN, BUT IT GOES ONLY TO COME BACK IF SHE MAKES ANY SLIGHT USE OF ANY PUBLIC TOILET.

WHAT IS UR ADVISE?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nicetohave(m): 3:16pm On Jun 08, 2006
The first thing to rule out when your menses is late is pregnancy, because it is the commonest cause of missed periods.

However several things from diet to severe (empasis on severe) stress could cause a shift in your hormonal balance and cause your periods to be delayed, but usually not for long. There are other causes of delayed menses aside these and i will advise you go for a check up if it occurs more than twice in a 12 calendar month. hormonal assays and an ultrasound are amongst the investigations to help rule out the possible causes.

As for the vaginal candidiasis i have to inform you without alarming you that one of the commonest cause of recurrent and heavy candidiasis are Diabetes Mellitus and co-infection with HIV. If your friend has had such episodes of such discharge as you claimed, she needs to have these medical condition ruled out first.

Treatment options includes diflucan 150mg taken once a month and repeated for a minimum of 4months (usually longer in recurrent infections as you have described), remember the diflucan needs to be taken in consecutive months without breaking it for it to be effective.

Necessary adjunct to the oral medication is the candid vaginal pessaries inserted in the vagina one per night for three days. The cream can be substituted for it if the tablets are not available but it can be a messy affair with the cream.

That can be combined with cervical cautery, which can be done for her only by a gynecologist where a heat instrument is used on the cervix with the aim of reducing the discharge.

Also there may be co infection with other bacterial infection like trichomonas and chlamydia. these need to be ruled out also.

I doubt so much if merely using a public toilet will cause such a recalcitrant candidasis but if she knows that is one of her predisposing factors then why continue to use a public toilet? so a social adjustment is needed here too.

A visit to a gynecologist with all these information in mind will do her a lot of good.

Remain healthy.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 3:59pm On Jun 08, 2006
I am always happy to read the advice you give to the enquiries nicetohave. Straight to the point and very accurate. If I ever need advice outside my own sphere you will be number 1 on my list. I hope all Nairalanders are reading this. Nicetohave is one hell of a diagnostician and he gives perfect advice. The doctors are in the house!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nicetohave(m): 7:21pm On Jun 08, 2006
Thanks Chief, but remember "no matter how much clothes a child have he cannot have as many old clothes an adult have" (i believe you are yoruba and understand the proverb)

Thanks again Doc Balogun and i am particularly happy that we are able to compliment for each other while one seem to be "away" from Nairaland for a period of time.

1 Like

Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 9:05am On Jun 09, 2006
@ nicetohave, thanks for ur advise. i think i will see a doctor this weekend. Though a friend advised me not to because as she claims the delay must have been due to the fact that i just started gyming.

as for my friend, we share the same flat. if she uses any toilet aside from the one at home, she gets very itchy down there thus leading to the discharge. And this things as she claims started when she went to visit someone in UNIBEN and she was so pressed that she had to use the toilet there in the hostel. So its not like she is a regular user of "public toilet"

i'm very worried because since we share the same flat, i dont want to be infected. pls what must i do not to get this deadly disease from her, cos im very very very WORRIED!!!!
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nicetohave(m): 3:40pm On Jun 09, 2006
If you have missed your period for more than 4 weeks you need to have it checked out. Rigorous exercise, especially if youre just starting one as in your case, may contribute to the delay. Also are you taking any form of steriods as part of your exercise regime?

Candidiasis is not a deadly disease, its just difficult to treat if treatment is not followed correctly, or there is reinfection or there is other coinfection as mentioned earlier.

Clean the toilet bowl thoroughly and flush it out before sitting on it and you shouldnt have anything to worry about.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jun 09, 2006
@ nicetohave, thanks wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by molluma(f): 4:17pm On Jun 14, 2006
hi doc. nice of you to render free services, thats something a lawyer like me would never think of. please my gums are prone to sores.esp just beneth my molars.personally i think its a form of vitamin or something like that deficiency.what do you think
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nicetohave(m): 4:45pm On Jun 14, 2006
hi molluma, what we do is more of tips/advise and health issues somehow are different from legal issues and so we view and deal with it as suchsmiley

if your gums are prone to sores, could be due to vitamin C deficiency, try using about 1000mg twice delay. You may need to continue for up to a month as Vitamin C is water soluble and the body excrete it regularly and if youre already in a deficiency state then you might need to be on it for a while to have the body repair.

However it would be nice to know what color your gums assume when these sores break out; do they bleed when you brush your teeth? as there other causes of sore gums other than vitamin deficiency.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (305) (Reply)

How Can I Get Rid Of Black Spots On My Face? / Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology / How Do I Calculate My Safe Period?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.