Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,840 members, 7,820,925 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:28 AM

Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? - Politics (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? (36309 Views)

Supreme Court: Celebration In Imo As Uzodinma Is Declared Winner / IF BIAFRA REFERENDUM IS ACCEPT TO HOLD TODAY I'LL GO TO COURT & STOP IT! / Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared?? PART 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by spinoff: 1:52pm On Jun 01, 2017
4Play:
This thread hints at something but it misses a larger picture: in a hypothetical scenario where Biafra is actualised for Igbos it will fundamentally change the calculus for other Southern ethnic groups. Whether Igbos get to visit the rest of Nigeria in a post-Biafra world is a bit of a red herring.

Assume, for the sake of simplicity, that Nigeria has a population equally distributed among the 6 geo-political zones with the North having 50% of the population. A Biafra for Igbos could mean 1/6th of the Nigerian populace but, more importantly, 1/3rd of the Southern populace leaving Nigeria. This will radically skew political power to the advantage of Northern Nigeria (yes, not a cohesive region but exhibiting some degree of coordination by comparison to the South).

The North will constitute 3/5th and come close to (if not now but eventually with higher birth rates*) 2/3rds of the rest of Nigeria. The rest of Nigeria would be unquestionably a Northern and Muslim majority nation. In such a scenario, many of the Southern ethnic groups would not want to remain in Nigeria and this would accelerate further disintegration.

In reality, Biafra independence would cause absolute mayhem for everyone and to me would be impossible to execute (at least peacefully). It's clear that most intelligent people grasp this: indeed, anti-Biafra sentiments (amongst Igbos and non-Igbos) is driven not by any great sense that the Igbos or Nigeria will be a great loss but the apprehension that Biafra will precipitate chaos for the whole of the South.

*There is an argument that with higher birth rates, the "North" will be a more entrenched hegemony over time. Remember the saying, "demography is destiny."

1 Like

Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by Curlieweed: 2:38pm On Jun 01, 2017
laudate:

Interesting. cheesy A wise man once said that "if you are planning to build a house, please sit down and count the cost, or else you might start the project and be unable to finish it." Houses that stand the test of time, are not built by assumptions, but by thorough planning, skill, adequate risk management, appropriate costing, sufficient material and human resources, technical competence and expertise. wink

All we are doing on this thread, is to help our friends who are bent on secession, count the real cost of their proposed actions on all fronts, so that there would be no lamentations later, from their end.

We know their modus operandi, already. They often embark on a course of action without checking all the possible outcomes that might arise, or designing foolproof ways to combat or mitigate them. sad

That was why they could not foresee that food would run out in their enclave in 1967, or that an economic blockade would bring their republic to its' knees in less than 3 years after the war started. They were banking on the illusion that their enemies would not interfere with their food supply. undecided

Today, they are banking on our govt authorities to give some some kind of free pass, naturalisation process or dual citizenship to remain in Nigeria, after their new republic comes on stream, despite the fact that nobody on this side of the divide has given them any guarantee or assurances in this regard. sad

This was how they banked on another region following suit once they had declared secession, despite the fact that the leader of that region came back again to remonstrate with their bearded general to withhold action, before declaring a republic. Till date, those chaps from the SW are still vilified for not following their lead.

The secessionists had also based their hopes on sentimental rhetoric from their leader and promises from foreign allies, as sources of ammunition that would help them win the war. Their hopes did not pan out, and their dreams were dashed. They were helplessly outmanned, outgunned, outmaneuvered and outflanked. So they turned round to accuse the Nigerian side of genocide. sad They forgot that war is not a tea party and when you go to war, people die. May the souls of the dearly departed on both sides, rest in peace. cry

I wish all pro-Biafra advocates Godspeed, in your quest for secession. But please, if things do not turn out the way you hoped, kindly do not blame Nigeria, its' citizens or their allies for not giving you some phantom support, which they never promised you in the first place. undecided Our response to you at that time would be: "We told you so." undecided

Good luck in your quest for independence. sad

*PS: No need for hate mail, please. Just sharing my thoughts. Insults, tantrums and vitriolic responses will not be dignified with an answer

I can only quote one of my heroes.

"Don't worry about my mouth O
I dey use chewing stick every morning

Don't worry about my dress O
Different fashion dey for Africa"

Or words to that effect

Please worry more about your well planned and glorious "one Nigeria" paradise.

We will suffer, we will die but no wahala. We like am like that.

Nsogbu adighi.
Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by Rossikki: 3:02pm On Jun 01, 2017
Voldamos:

We lost the battle, but the war is not over.

We lost millions of people, but we've multiplied ten times over.

We lost our properties, but now we're wealthier than many "Nigerians".

Mind you, this is 2017 not 1967.

Shalom.

This comment confirms what I have long suspected, i.e. that Biafra proponents really don't value the lives of their fellow Igbos. They value the perceived interests of the Igbo ethnic group over the actual lives of its flesh and blood members. Just see how callously you dismissed the millions of Igbo casualties of the last war, by claiming that you've "multiplied ten times over". Again, the interest is on ethnic strength, not the individual Igbo lives destroyed in the carnage. The millions of young and old flesh and blood Igbos killed, are for you, mere numbers to be "multiplied". No need to inquire into how their deaths could have been prevented through better planning, no introspection, no revisiting of strategy, nothing. After all, they can be "multiplied".

It was this same callous disregard for the lives of the Igbo masses that led Ojukwu into a conflict for which his people were utterly unprepared, with no weapons, no army or airforce or navy, with catastrophic results. For him as well, the Igbo 'tribe' came before the Igbo people.

It is a terrible trait to have, and it could lead the Igbos into further trouble in future.

14 Likes

Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by laudate: 3:14pm On Jun 01, 2017
blueseacats:
No country have violated humans rights in terms of seizing individual properties of a particular tribe, I might be wrong and I stand corrected. Crimea is now part of Russia, yet Ukrainians have access to their properties situated in Russia, even Georgians also have access to their properties in South Ossetia ,when there is no precedent in law court you take a clue from recent examples. Hope you understand that human right is subset of universal bill of rights, yes it takes United Nations or world powers time to act in cases of human right abuses. But you will bite more than you can chew when does abuses leads to massive loss of lives which will be the case here since you are dealing with a set of people who value their freedom no matter what it cost.

Reminding ibos that biafran war was tough does not really dissuade them from pursing freedom, if you think it does then you hardly know what those guys stand for.

To them freedom is not about living in penury, suffering and smiling, waiting for another tribe to start your agitation, or existing for the sake of it . Freedom to ibos means FREEDOM with no conditions and if they have to be free in their graves they will be happy doing that.

Long story short, they do not like slave masters, some ethnic groups in Nigeria might have another lord over them, but ibos will prefer to die than have a real king boss them around. Not that they really care about the properties, just that they can't go without a fight that's the ibo spirit.

Let me also remind you that we are in a global village now. Blockading people from getting food and arms while you get the best of the hardware in the world for free will never happen again. So don't count on that. I don't think there will be another's violence, but if it comes it will amaze you how the world have changed. The propaganda war will be like nothing you have ever seen before.

Please learn how to quote properly, so that you do not mix up my initial posts, in the same block with your responses. cheesy Now, let us all kindly go back and study the issues surrounding the relationship between Crimea, Ukraine and Russia.

First of all, it was Crimea that declared independence from Ukraine and voted in a referendum to join Russia in 2014. They discovered too late that they had jumped from frying pan to fire, as it gave Russia a chance to then move in and annex their lands. Prior to that, the same Crimea had nationalised or taken over all Ukraine's assets on their soil. But they cried wolf, and began to appeal for help from the outside world when they discovered that their decision to join Russia had landed them in trouble. cheesy

What happened next? The UN issued its standard communique, but did not send in any forces to help Crimea. Instead they proposed the following:
a possible UN-HABITAT intervention in Crimea should be to assist the domestic institutions to restore the rule of law and put an end to the widespread practice of illegal occupation of land. https://mirror.unhabitat.org/pmss/getElectronicVersion.aspx?nr=2438&alt=1

US and the European Union imposed sanctions on Russia. Why? Russia is a world power and the US has been trying to find a way to limit its' influence in world affairs for years. For the EU, Russia holds an important strategic position on the European continent, and they wanted to ensure that other nations do not follow Russia's example. sad

But then you need to ask what kind of sanctions were imposed by the US on Russia?
US president Barack Obama has also imposed sanctions on 11 Russians and Ukrainians, including two top aides to Mr Putin. Mr Obama's order freezes any assets in the US and bans travel to the 11 individuals named as responsible for the Russian move into Crimea. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-17/crimea-declares-independence-from-ukraine/5326938

These sanctions were against targeted individuals, not against the entire country of Russia. They were like a mild slap on the wrist. Even the sanctions imposed by the EU were minimal. 21 Russian officials were targeted by travel bans and asset freezes. Again the country of Russia was spared. Russia still had the clout to even vetoe US-drafted UN Security Council resolution to make the Crimean referendum invalid. undecided

The EU later adopted a non-recognition policy of the illegal annexation of Crimea by Russia. The EU also introduced restrictive measures against persons involved in actions against Ukraine's territorial integrity on 17 March 2014. Over 149 persons and 37 entities were affected including about 60 Russian or Crimean politicians, members of the military, and govt officials for their role in the occupation of Crimea, 13 entities in Crimea were ‘nationalised’ by the de facto authorities, as well as a Russian state airline flying directly to Crimea. These measures were extended to 15 September 2016. Yet these measures have not stopped the properties of Crimean citizens from being seized till date. Neither has it stopped widespread human rights abuses within that territory.

Since 2014, there have been reports issued by Ukraine on the current status of Crimea showing that:
The Ministry of information policy of Ukraine organized a presentation of the publication "The Crimea.The annexed property" prepared by the Ukrainian Center for Independent Political Research (UCIPR).

According to Advisor to the Minister Emine Dzheppar the electronic version of the publication will be officially transferred to interested institutions. "The publication contains figures of the losses of Ukraine and its citizens due to the annexation. For example, Russia seized: 1500 subjects of state property of Ukraine; more than 600 subjects of private property of citizens of Ukraine; more than 220 subjects of cultural heritage; property of over 100 scientific institutions. Ukraine lost 5 seaports; fishing fleet, which is 70% of the fish catch in Ukraine; more than 600 resort and spa facilities; 154 subjects of nature reserves; 1022 branches of Ukrainian banks; 14 000 cultural monuments; 300 000 museum pieces; more than 14 000 subjects of art; 12 cultural institutions; 1947248 pieces of archival documents; 150 architectural sites included in the list of UNESCO; 141 agricultural companies and so on. These data suggest that the occupation authority in the Crimea acts as a thief", - said Emine Dzheppar. http://mip.gov.ua/en/news/1058.html?PrintVersion
The response from the UK was that thier "country is consistent in non-recognition of the annexation of the Crimea. "The UK Government pays great attention to violations of rights in the Crimea, including the violation of property rights. Since the illegal seizure of the Crimea, we, as well as the EU, does not recognize the annexation by Russia....". As at 2016, Crimeans were still lamenting that their properties had not been returned to them. shocked

Since 2014 when Crimea was annexed by Russia, its' citizens as well as nationals of Ukraine have been begging different Western nations and international bodies to apply further sanctions on Russia. Yet, those Western countries have been dragging their feet. You really need to ask yourself if your proposed Republic of Biafra holds the same strategic importance, as Russia does to the West. Countries act based on self-interest, rather than any other interest. undecided

It was for this same reason that the US invaded Iraq in 2003 and finally got rid of Saddam Hussein, years after he had attacked Kuwait. Don't forget that Kuwait was one of the world's largest producers of oil, and held a lot of strategic importance for US.

Yet, when Liberia a former US colony in West Africa was at war, the US did not send in an armed unit to take out Sergeant Doe who was wreaking havoc in that country. It took ages before the outside world responded. And even then, it was ECOMOG forces under the leadership of Nigerian commanders that did so. sad

Kindly remember this. All countries are equal, but some are more equal and more strategic than others. Do you think a newly formed Biafra on the west coast of Africa, would wield enough clout or strategic importance to make the Western world send in armed units in response to your country's call? Do you honestly think the EU will rush down to rescue your properties that are still on Nigerian soil? When the chickens come home to roost, assumptions will not automatically be transformed into solutions...

12 Likes

Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by deomelo: 4:17pm On Jun 01, 2017
NLModsRdummies:
I KNEW THIS WAS GOING TO HAPPEN. THIS IS WHY NIGERIA WILL NEVER PROGRESS. TOO MANY DUMB TRIBALISTS RUNING AROUND. SOMEONE ASK SEUN WHY I WAS BANNED. I EXPOSED THE LYING BIAFRAN THAT CLAIMED HE WAS A U.S MARINE DELTA SPECIAL FORCES, HE INSULTED ME, I GAVE HIM A NICE REPLY BUT GUESS WHAT? HIM AND HIS TRIBESMAN MODERATOR DECIDED TO BAN ME. AND THESE ARE THE PEOPLE THAT WANT NIGERIA TO TRUST THEM WITH POWER? I TELL YOU THE ibo man IS PROBABLY THE WORST THING TO HAPPEN TO THAT COUNTRY. THEY ARE JUST TOO DECEITFUL.

You know why Aguiyi-Ironsi was killed?

Same reason you stated here.

1. A group of blood thirsty and sadistic killers and coup plotters slaughtered in cold blood military and political leaders from the SW and the North.

2. The military, Hausa and Yoruba people looked the other way even though the coup and blood shed was carried out by ibo people, they still made Aguiyi-Ironsi/ibo man the next head of state and expecting the man to do the right thing by punishing the coup plotters and killers. As we all know, the punishment for sedition is death by firing squad on top of the fact that they took so many lives.

3. ...but the new ibo head of state instead pulled out the usual ibo tribalism/kinsmen protection, he not only did not slap them on the wrist, he practically let them go free.

4. This enraged the North and hence the massacre and blood shed against ibo people all over the North.

With ibo people, the tribe comes for before anything, before other people, before country, before fairness, before justice and before sensible, sane and rational behavior. This is why they are peace less and always in constant state of paranoia, low self esteem and zero self worth.

12 Likes

Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by deomelo: 4:39pm On Jun 01, 2017
Billyonaire:
Now it is my English that bothers you son, after I have decimated you on the argument about Biafra, you are now channeling your frustration to my use of English. English is not my native language but I do great with it. So, be proud of who you are and where you come from. I am a Biafran Nigerian and I am happy to inform you that I am going to relocate from Lekki back to my new country of Biafra once we launch that new 21st Century, Digitalized Country. I will personally bring in FDIs into my new country and make sure our roads are built to accommodate driver-less cars., 247 electricity and we will welcome Nigerians to come and learn how a country works.

It is a shame that we will not give you more than 3 months VISA. We do not want you guys to bring your corruption to the #Jewish Republic of Biafra#.....ahahahahahaah

The Igbo is full of arrogance and braggadocios. He is always praising himself. He is not humble at all; his empty pride gives folk the impression that he is very childish.

If you are around the Igbo all you hear are boasts about his real and imaginary accomplishments. He is very vainglory seeking

http://chatafrik.com/articles/nigerian-affairs/the-igbo-problem-can-be-fixed/38-the-igbo-problem-can-be-fixed?start=4#.WTA1OevyuWs

grin grin

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by Nobody: 4:54pm On Jun 01, 2017
deomelo:

grin grin

Fortunately or unfortunately, I am not Igbo.
Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by SilentHaulers: 5:02pm On Jun 01, 2017
Billyonaire:

Billy, How your mansion? cheesy cheesy

9 Likes

Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by Nobody: 5:09pm On Jun 01, 2017
SilentHaulers:

Billy, How your mansion? cheesy cheesy
Be nice. I hurt no flies. If you are incapable of responding to my fact-proofs, do not attack to derail this thread to your animal kingdom. I can not afford to join the pigs in the mud.
Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by deomelo: 5:09pm On Jun 01, 2017
Billyonaire:

Lying is sadly one of your many problems.

11 Likes

Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jun 01, 2017
deomelo:

Lying is sadly one of your many problems.
I do not lie, Gods dont lie. They manipulate.
Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by SilentHaulers: 5:12pm On Jun 01, 2017
Billyonaire:
Be nice. I hurt no flies. If you are incapable of responding to my fact-proofs, do not attack to derail this thread to your animal kingdom. I can not afford to join the pigs in the mud.

How did i attack you billy? You are crying cos of that harmless question. Lol

How is your mansion bro? All hail Billy, the man that control the whole Island. Mansion king.

13 Likes

Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by Nobody: 5:31pm On Jun 01, 2017
SilentHaulers:

How did i attack you billy? You are crying cos of that harmless question. Lol

How is your mansion bro? All hail Billy, the man that control the whole Island. Mansion king.

Friend, let me tell you something and it hurts. Does it mean that a rich man, can not register on this forum ? I am guilty, but it is a norm, if Devil swear for una, say make una no dey see rich man, then I will obey that curse and deactivate, I no send una. Which is all these bullshit, should I pretend to be poor when I am not ? What the fucck is wrong with you poor people ? Does it mean everyone here must be poor ? Blame your parents, not me.

And ,....be guided.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by deomelo: 5:34pm On Jun 01, 2017
[s]
Billyonaire:
I do not lie, Gods dont lie. They manipulate.
[/s]

Leave comedy alone, you are not good at it.

5 Likes

Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by Carmal90(m): 6:37pm On Jun 01, 2017
Billyonaire:

Friend, let me tell you something and it hurts. Does it mean that a rich man, can not register on this forum ? I am guilty, but it is a norm, if Devil swear for una, say make una no dey see rich man, then I will obey that curse and deactivate, I no send una. Which is all these bullshit, should I pretend to be poor when I am not ? What the fucck is wrong with you poor people ? Does it mean everyone here must be poor ? Blame your parents, not me.

And ,....be guided.

I agree u are not poor, but not the same for me, pls can u change my status?
Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by Rossikki: 9:08pm On Jun 01, 2017
laudate:

Kindly remember this. All countries are equal, but some are more equal and more strategic than others. Do you think a newly formed Biafra on the west coast of Africa, would wield enough clout or strategic importance to make the Western world send in armed units in response to your country's call? Do you honestly think the EU will rush down to rescue your properties that are still on Nigerian soil? When the chickens come home to roost, assumptions will not automatically be transformed into solutions...

LOL... well said. The problem is that Igbos have a collective narcissism that makes them imagine they are more important or relevant than they really are on the world stage. It can be quite amusing to behold at times. For instance, they seem hardly aware that there are literally hundreds, if not thousands of groups with a secessionist agenda in various countries around the world. Most of them are realistic enough to know that their agitation will not lead to separation. Not the Igbos. They think they are unique in wanting ''their own space'', and that the world needs to pay special attention to their demands. In North America alone there are nearly 35 secessionist groups, each with a long list of 'grievances' against the US or Canadian governments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_active_separatist_movements_in_North_America

So why will the world stop for 'Biafra'?

And then someone put it into their heads that Trump would be backing their movement. Boy did they go with that one.... I wonder how much the guy made selling the T-shirts.

7 Likes

Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by SilentHaulers: 9:36pm On Jun 01, 2017
[s]
Billyonaire:

And ,....be guided.
[/s]

See this dirty house boy pouring smelly spits everywhere. Were you not the poverty-stricken kid exposed here and your ugly pics splashed everywhere. Online rich man. Lol You are a village house boy who think highly of himself, you dont even have any shame. I wont even insult your dead parents, since they died poor with nothing to their name. I know it hurt you to burst your ego, reason you are angry and barking like a leprosy patient, go get a life and stop making noise on the internet. Pathetic attention-seeking criminal

15 Likes

Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by tinsel: 10:33pm On Jun 01, 2017
Arda1000:
Senseless post
This is not senseless post. I am an Igbo man, and when I lie down and think of massive Igbo investments all over Nigeria and what will happen, I am gripped with fear. When I lie down and and think of massive exodus of Igbo's from Nigeria to biafra states I am gripped with fear.
During Abiola episode, I slept on road for two full days travelling from Lagos to Onitsha because of the exodus of the Igbos.
People doing this are children not beyond 20 years and people that has nothing to lose. They never owned anything in there whole life.
please we need to take it easy.

11 Likes

Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by Rossikki: 11:58pm On Jun 01, 2017
tinsel:

This is not senseless post. I am an Igbo man, and when I lie down and think of massive Igbo investments all over Nigeria and what will happen, I am gripped with fear. When I lie down and and think of massive exodus of Igbo's from Nigeria to biafra states I am gripped with fear.
During Abiola episode, I slept on road for two full days travelling from Lagos to Onitsha because of the exodus of the Igbos.
People doing this are children not beyond 20 years and people that has nothing to lose. They never owned anything in there whole life.
please we need to take it easy.

This is one of the many Igbo voices of reason that have been drowned out in the loud cacophony of noise emanating from thuggish, thoughtless Ipob elements who parade in threats and insults to all who question them.

7 Likes

Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by ariesbull: 12:05am On Jun 02, 2017
Rossikki:

This is one of the many Igbo voices of reason that have been drowned out in the loud cacophony of noise emanating from thuggish, thoughtless Ipob elements who parade in threats and insults to all who question them.

Your Biafra will be landlocked?

Now that the ashes of the Biafra talk is still smoldering, with few sparks here and there, I think it is important to address this once again.

If Biafra becomes a sovereign state today, it will be a landlocked country. Yes.

If Biafra becomes a sovereign state today, it will have one of the highest population densities in the world because of its smaller landmass. Yes.

Are these obstacles to economic growth and development? Yes.

Are they insurmountable? No.

The need to address this arose out of the myriads of assumptions on what may likely be the fate of a sovereign Biafran state should Nigeria continue to refuse our call to restructure and save itself from imminent implosion.

Many have said that a sovereign Biafra will face the huddles of geography due mainly to its small land mass and landlocked state.

Being landlocked is an impediment to economic growth no doubt,The World Bank said its negative impact equals about 1.5% of GDP. But access to the sea is not in itself a guarantee to economic growth either.

With developments in technology, logistics and huge improvements in air transportation, committed countries have cut down on this impediment to a negligible level.I think you know about the Antonov An 225 Mriya cargo aircraft which has the capacity to carry over 450,000 kg of weight?

Moreso, the world is moving into a full knowledge economy where the internet of things has erased physical borders.

Still on the issue of landlocked?

Of Africa's top 10 fastest growing economies, four are landlocked among them are Rwanda, Botswana, and Ethiopia. Zambia which has remained Africa's shinning example of democracy and stability is equally landlocked.

And of Africa's poorest and economic laggards, many have access to the sea, among them are Sierra Leone, Liberia, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Mauritania, Mozambique,Congo DRC, Togo, Sao Tome and Somalia of all countries.

Having access to the sea with irresponsible leadership equals mental and psychological lock, and that is the worst kind. Nigeria is a clear example.

In an age of jumbo cargo planes, and international trade corridors, being landlocked is an archaic excuse against development.

Ethiopia has taken the lead in linking up east African countries by fast electric train with connection to the Port of Djibouti. This has cut to a day, the time it takes for a container to get to Addis Ababa from Djibouti Port. Yet it takes three to four days for a truck carrying container to get to Aba from Lagos.

Djibouti is building one of the worlds largest integrated sea port with a cargo airport to service over 25 African countries and 400 million people. It has become so competitive they are cutting costs.

During the last economic crisis that hit Europe, it is interesting to note that all the PIIGS ( Portugal, Italy, Ireland, Greece, Spain) countries all have access to the sea. Yet Switzerland, Luxembourg and Austria that are landlocked were economically more buoyant.

Every student of development is aware that geography does not hold the influence it used to have as a determinant of development. In its place, culture has taken precedent. That is why some of the most magnificent cities today are rising up from places that were ordinary deserts four decades ago. Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Qatar among others.

Have we wondered how Haiti and Dominican Republic share same weather and climatic conditions with unimpeded access to drown in the sea .......yet they are complete opposites?

Biafra has land poverty.....

Yes. The South East is one of the most densely populated regions in Africa. In places like enclave (Mbaise) driving through the communities, you might think there is a festivity going on.

But how is that a disadvantage?

Greater Tokyo Metropolitan Area houses over 30 million people comfortably.

To what extent has landmass stopped Hong Kong from growing?

Monaco has 25,718 people per square km.

Bangladesh, North Korea, Rwanda, Netherlands and India all have high densities, yet people are not marching on the heads of others.

And who said if Biafra becomes a sovereign state, every Biafran must live in Biafra?

What makes you think that if Biafra becomes a sovereign state that Niger Delta Republic will refuse to enter an agreement with it granting it access to either the ports at Onne, or Calabar, especially as there will be money to be made from it?

Dont be surprised that Oduduwa Republic and Niger Delta Republic will be competing to woo Biafra importers to use their ports. And mark my word, Arewa Republic will become Biafra's major food exporter. Nation states are guided by political and economic interests not mundane sentiments.

I do not believe in territorial Biafra or secession.And I have made that known severally. I know that a restructured Nigeria will offer Igbo a great deal and that much needed space to be who they were created to be. This belief has nothing to do with the thinking, or fear that a sovereign Biafran nation will be unworkable. It will work. It takes only commitments and sacrifices to make nations work.

There is a thing called human resources.......human resources recognises no such barriers as landlocked.

Development and underdevelopment are states of mind.

If Biafra becomes independent and allow the quality of unthinking leadership that has been the lot of Nigeria to captain its ship. It will be worse than South Sudan and before long Biafrans will start looking back to Egypt.

Nigeria is not working, and as long as it continues in this trajectory, it will never work.

If you so love Nigeria, instead of wasting your mental energy fighting over Biafra this and Biafra that, join hands in calling for Nigeria's urgent restructuring so that it will release its children from the Frankenstein state of ignorance,underdevelopment, poverty, lack, and oppression.
Nigeria has failed Africa. But particularly and pathetically, Nigeria has failed Nigeria,
By: Kelechi Deca

1 Like

Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by Carmal90(m): 1:13am On Jun 02, 2017
Billyonaire:

And ,....be guided.

I agree u are not poor, but not the same for me, pls can u change my status?
Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by jpphilips(m): 1:08pm On Jun 02, 2017
kingzizzy:

If you take Britain that just left the EU, over 3 million EU citizens in the UK. Will Britain deport them? No, not really.

In the event of Biafra seceding from Nigeria, both sides will have to discuss the sharing of assets, liabilities and debts. This means that there will be a discussion on 'Biafra/Nigeria' reltionship and the status of its citizens. A 'transition period' will have to be agreed on to allow the agreemwnts take effect

It is not likely that Nigeria will start deporting all Igbos straightaway as this could illegal under international law. Another reason why Nigeria wont do this is because it will damage Nigeria and the Nigerian economy irreparably before the international community. No international investor will ever step foot in Nigeria ever again when hear that Nigeria deported millions of people it once called brothers.

Such mass deportations only destroys the credibility of a country

EU is not a country Nigeria is you dvmb fvck!! I enjoy reading from illiterates like you in the social media, you think there will be a negotiation table for Nigeria and Biafra, do you have an example anywhere in the world that nonsense has happened?
Sharing of assets and liabilities, oh really! why are south and North sudan still killing themselves over a lousy pipeline?

As for citizenship that is a done deal, we did Ghana must go in the 80's and heaven did not fall, shipping out Aliens from your country is every countries indelible right who told you it is illegal under international law?
Is it what the lunatic is telling you guys over the radio? We have no precedence where breakaway states maintain bilateral ties except in the Soviet union where their break up was externally influenced so the nonsense you called "brothers" only live in your liquor inspired imagination, make no mistakes about that, Even Russia and Ukraine havent resolved the crimea issue, india and pakistan has not resolved Kashmir and so many others like that, don't buy television, continue f00ling around.
Maybe you need to read the land use act to determine the fate of your properties in nigeria.

8 Likes

Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by kingzizzy: 1:10pm On Jun 02, 2017
jpphilips:

EU is not a country Nigeria is you dvmb fvck!!

Oh shut up you morron, the same princlple of immigration applies in both scenario
Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by EzeUche(m): 1:12pm On Jun 02, 2017
If Igbos are deported from Nigeria. So be it. No one said forming your own country will be easy. But remember my Igbo brothers and sisters and other parts of Nigeria, those of us who live in civilized nations like the US, Canada, Germany and the U.K. will provide assistance anyway we can.

2 Likes

Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by jpphilips(m): 1:27pm On Jun 02, 2017
kingzizzy:

Oh shut up you morron, the same principle of immigration applies in both scenario

Same immigration principles? really? while britain was in the EU it never used the Schengen visa which was applicable in most EU states, this product of free education think that all immigration laws in the EU are domesticated in all member states, jeez you are quarter to a m0r0n.
What is the refugee quota of the EU? what are the refugee quota of all the member states since their immigration laws are the same, go and buy a television you dvmb fvck!!

8 Likes

Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by jpphilips(m): 1:41pm On Jun 02, 2017
blueseacats:
I understand exactly how it will be done, you and I have been living in this dysfunctional country for ages so we know how they will make it happen. I have a delta friend who lives in Alaska, the government pays him oil dividend regularly, yet he only became a USA citizen just 3 years ago.

The same guy has not collected a dime from Nigerian government for the oil that is all over his motherland. Yet 70% of the oil wells are controlled by the north. Only a coward won't see something wrong in this scenario and the only tribe that is fighting this injustice is being labeled by all of you as trouble makers? Only cowards accept peace devoid of justice.

Well people can't choose to dump their genetic make up as they are born with it. I hate that ibo man is fighting everyone's battle. But remember this is a tribe that will do anything for freedom even if they have to die a million times. For an ibo man freedom is freedom dead or alive . AsK those who witnessed ibo landing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_Landing

70% of Nigeria's oil blocks are owned by Northerners so says an illiterate on Aduro exile in Alaska, I don't blame you shaa, I blame the gene of stvpidity you inherited from your makers. Do you know where oil blocks are located in Nigeria to be throwing around your !mbecilic figures.
Alaska with a population of 700k produces about 2m bbls daily from 1988 figures yet you are comparing it with Nigeria with 180m population and 2m bbls daily. Can't you see that you deserve to be shot for making a statement not worthy of a brain owner. please return your brain wherever you borrowed it from.

11 Likes

Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by kingzizzy: 1:42pm On Jun 02, 2017
Rossikki:

It was this same callous disregard for the lives of the Igbo masses that led Ojukwu into a conflict for which his people were utterly unprepared, with no weapons, no army or airforce or navy, with catastrophic results. For him as well, the Igbo 'tribe' came before the Igbo people.

It is a terrible trait to have, and it could lead the Igbos into further trouble in future.

Sorry bro but most Igbos dont share your sentiments. The war was forced on Ojukwu. It was far more incumbent on Gowon as head of state to prevent war than for Ojukwu.

Ojukwu was faced with two options. Bow down and accept Nothern domination like Awolowo and Yorubas did or rise up and fight for your sovereignty and freedom. Now which option did you expect an Igbo man like Ojukwu to choose?
Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by kingzizzy: 1:54pm On Jun 02, 2017
jpphilips:

Same immigration principles? really? while britain was in the EU it never used the Schengen visa which was applicable in most EU states, this product of free education think that all immigration laws in the EU are domesticated in all member states, jeez you are quarter to a m0r0n.
What is the refugee quota of the EU? what are the refugee quota of all the member states since their immigration laws are the same, go and buy a television you dvmb fvck!!

What has Shengen got to do with this? Shengen does not affect EU citizens. When Britain left the EU, the immigration status of the 3 million EU citizens living in Britain became in doubt. When Igbos get Biafra, the immigration status of millions of Igbos living in Nigeria will become in doubt. What about these two similar scenarios dont you have the brains to understand?
Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by jpphilips(m): 2:01pm On Jun 02, 2017
[quote author=Billyonaire post=57064600]

OP, Let me correct one impression. Biafra is not an Igbo thing, Biafra is beyond the Igbo construct which has been polluting the cyber-space. I am not Igbo, yet my father lost everything to that war. To me, Biafra is cry against marginalization, a cry against the inhumanity of man against fellow humans. Biafran represents something more than a country. It is a courage to say, 'No' to slavery.

The Answer to your question is NO. Nigeria can not deport Biafrans after secession, this is not 1970s. Biafrans resident in Nigeria and Nigerians residents in Biafra will be offered provisional citizenships with first right of refusal. Sane countries know the value of human resources. If Biafrans are to withdraw 100% from Nigeria. There will be chaos.

Absolute Hogwash, A tribe that control well over half of our daily earned forex can not claim to be a slave except you misplaced your dictionary.
This hogwash was said by the Ghanians in 1983 till they landed in Kumasi, at the time both Nigeria and Accra were Ecowas, OAU and UN members yet we flung them like cellophane, Biafra is too small, you are gonna hear the mass deportations over the radio.

* Based on International Law on Migration of the ECOWAS 16-member countries, they will be required to get a Biafran Passport and Resident Permit in Nigeria. And the Nigerians living in Biafra will be required to do the same. Both Nigerians and Biafrans will be given at least 5 years to work out the terms of migration. Travels within the ECOWAS 16-member countries has been VISA-free and will remain so. What is required is resident permit.

Shut it!! is Biafra a member of Ecowas? should they apply, don't you know that it takes consent of existing members to join before approval is gotten? why did Morocco secure the Signatories of the 15 members before being admitted in ECOWAS despite maintaining an observer status? what makes you think Nigeria will not block it? what makes you think they won't have been deported across the Niger before their ECOWAS application is ratified?

* Based on International Migration laws, which I believe same will apply to Nigeria-Biafra relationship, if you own a Landed Property within the country, you are automatically qualified and have fight right of refusal on Nigerian Citizenship. I know many Biafrans will like to move away from Nigeria, and I am one of them, but will lease/rent out my houses in Nigeria and be paying tax to the Nigeria government while I go back to build Biafra. I will not hesitate to go back and help build Biafra to one of the best countries in the world.

* I will keep the last point to myself.

Another hogwash sold to the dvmb to keep him in play, first, show us that international migration law that forbid Nigeria from deporting aliens, I want to read it with you, When the US ICE arrest an individual, I guess you just need to tell them you have a property then they move over to the next person right? UK and Canada recently deported Refugees protected by several UN charter and you are talking crap about aliens, Damn!! your ignorance!!

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by Mujtahida: 2:05pm On Jun 02, 2017
ariesbull:

Your Biafra will be landlocked?

Now that the ashes of the Biafra talk is still smoldering, with few sparks here and there, I think it is important to address this once again.

If Biafra becomes a sovereign state today, it will be a landlocked country. Yes.

If Biafra becomes a sovereign state today, it will have one of the highest population densities in the world because of its smaller landmass. Yes.

Are these obstacles to economic growth and development? Yes.

Are they insurmountable? No.

The need to address this arose out of the myriads of assumptions on what may likely be the fate of a sovereign Biafran state should Nigeria continue to refuse our call to restructure and save itself from imminent implosion.

Many have said that a sovereign Biafra will face the huddles of geography due mainly to its small land mass and landlocked state.

Being landlocked is an impediment to economic growth no doubt,The World Bank said its negative impact equals about 1.5% of GDP. But access to the sea is not in itself a guarantee to economic growth either.

With developments in technology, logistics and huge improvements in air transportation, committed countries have cut down on this impediment to a negligible level.I think you know about the Antonov An 225 Mriya cargo aircraft which has the capacity to carry over 450,000 kg of weight?

Moreso, the world is moving into a full knowledge economy where the internet of things has erased physical borders.

Still on the issue of landlocked?

Of Africa's top 10 fastest growing economies, four are landlocked among them are Rwanda, Botswana, and Ethiopia. Zambia which has remained Africa's shinning example of democracy and stability is equally landlocked.

And of Africa's poorest and economic laggards, many have access to the sea, among them are Sierra Leone, Liberia, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Mauritania, Mozambique,Congo DRC, Togo, Sao Tome and Somalia of all countries.

Having access to the sea with irresponsible leadership equals mental and psychological lock, and that is the worst kind. Nigeria is a clear example.

In an age of jumbo cargo planes, and international trade corridors, being landlocked is an archaic excuse against development.

Ethiopia has taken the lead in linking up east African countries by fast electric train with connection to the Port of Djibouti. This has cut to a day, the time it takes for a container to get to Addis Ababa from Djibouti Port. Yet it takes three to four days for a truck carrying container to get to Aba from Lagos.

Djibouti is building one of the worlds largest integrated sea port with a cargo airport to service over 25 African countries and 400 million people. It has become so competitive they are cutting costs.

During the last economic crisis that hit Europe, it is interesting to note that all the PIIGS ( Portugal, Italy, Ireland, Greece, Spain) countries all have access to the sea. Yet Switzerland, Luxembourg and Austria that are landlocked were economically more buoyant.

Every student of development is aware that geography does not hold the influence it used to have as a determinant of development. In its place, culture has taken precedent. That is why some of the most magnificent cities today are rising up from places that were ordinary deserts four decades ago. Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Qatar among others.

Have we wondered how Haiti and Dominican Republic share same weather and climatic conditions with unimpeded access to drown in the sea .......yet they are complete opposites?

Biafra has land poverty.....

Yes. The South East is one of the most densely populated regions in Africa. In places like enclave (Mbaise) driving through the communities, you might think there is a festivity going on.

But how is that a disadvantage?

Greater Tokyo Metropolitan Area houses over 30 million people comfortably.

To what extent has landmass stopped Hong Kong from growing?

Monaco has 25,718 people per square km.

Bangladesh, North Korea, Rwanda, Netherlands and India all have high densities, yet people are not marching on the heads of others.

And who said if Biafra becomes a sovereign state, every Biafran must live in Biafra?

What makes you think that if Biafra becomes a sovereign state that Niger Delta Republic will refuse to enter an agreement with it granting it access to either the ports at Onne, or Calabar, especially as there will be money to be made from it?

Dont be surprised that Oduduwa Republic and Niger Delta Republic will be competing to woo Biafra importers to use their ports. And mark my word, Arewa Republic will become Biafra's major food exporter. Nation states are guided by political and economic interests not mundane sentiments.

I do not believe in territorial Biafra or secession.And I have made that known severally. I know that a restructured Nigeria will offer Igbo a great deal and that much needed space to be who they were created to be. This belief has nothing to do with the thinking, or fear that a sovereign Biafran nation will be unworkable. It will work. It takes only commitments and sacrifices to make nations work.

There is a thing called human resources.......human resources recognises no such barriers as landlocked.

Development and underdevelopment are states of mind.

If Biafra becomes independent and allow the quality of unthinking leadership that has been the lot of Nigeria to captain its ship. It will be worse than South Sudan and before long Biafrans will start looking back to Egypt.

Nigeria is not working, and as long as it continues in this trajectory, it will never work.

If you so love Nigeria, instead of wasting your mental energy fighting over Biafra this and Biafra that, join hands in calling for Nigeria's urgent restructuring so that it will release its children from the Frankenstein state of ignorance,underdevelopment, poverty, lack, and oppression.
Nigeria has failed Africa. But particularly and pathetically, Nigeria has failed Nigeria,
By: Kelechi Deca
He made certain assumptions which might or might not translate into reality particularly when he mentioned Arewa, Oodua and Niger Delta Republics but on the whole his thesis is correct. There are no obstacles that man cannot overcome.-all challenges are a matter of time. The greatest resource on earth is not the soil, not gold, silver, crude oil, the sea or whatever. Man himself is THE RESOURCE.

IF Biafra(assuming it comes to fruition) sets her mind to it, bends the will of her people, draws deep from the untapped pool of the collective unconscious of her people and applies them in the direction of her national objectives then believe me in time she will overcome these challenges one by one.

What does a people need to prosper? Many things but I summarise them under three heads: wise LEADERSHIP, GRANDIOSE DREAM and DIRECTION. These three elements do not have anything to do with natural resources but with the people themselves. With these three elements even a barren desert becomes a paradise and a dump heap, a garden.

Nigeria today has no leadership, no dreamers and no direction. We are ruled by men who are mental midgets. We have grand fraudsters called politicians, a national culture that is spiritless and devoid of dreams and robs people of their dreams and the country is without direction.

Biafra MUST come!, make no mistake about that. Yes. It must either unite this country (through a restructured Nigeria with units fully in control of their resources) or scatter it to the winds. The choice is ours. This is the age of Aquarius!

I want Nigeria restructured with maximum premium given to economic realities rather than political exigencies so that the great potential of this behemoth that has been tied down for so long would be unleashed with urgency, with power and grandeur.

This is the age of Aquarius!

1 Like

Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by jpphilips(m): 2:07pm On Jun 02, 2017
Billyonaire:

Nigeria the way it is now, is not even worth living in. I do not understand the pride of actually thinking someone will like to live in a country where electricity generation is rocket science and corruption is King.

What is Biafra's plan for electricity generation? if they have any, why are all the 5 south east states not have 24hrs supply?
Corruption is equally king in the South east go figure!!

10 Likes

Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by Debatesmartly: 2:10pm On Jun 02, 2017
As a Panafricanist this thread make me sad.
When will we as African get it?

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (26) (Reply)

Kanu Nwankwo & Nollywood Actors Play Novelty Match For Ihedioha's Inauguration / 39 Senators Fail To Sponsor Bill In Six Months (names) / APC Sweeps Lagos Council Polls As Results Trickle In

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 162
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.