Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,879 members, 7,810,360 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:39 AM

Picture Of Slums In The Usa - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Picture Of Slums In The Usa (188328 Views)

Nigerian Slum Contest: Anambra Is The State With The Least Slums In Nigeria / Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless / BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Nobody: 6:29pm On Jul 31, 2010
Sagamite:

Thanks!!!

I was looking at the fashion and the hairstyles and thinking is that not when I[b] used to dance on Soul Train TV[/b]. grin
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Sagamite(m): 6:34pm On Jul 31, 2010
~Bluetooth:

paddy lo posts has been really educative and i suggest you learn from it.nothing bad in learning from others cuz you dont seem to know what really makes a slum.thanks

I am sorry.

I must have missed something.

I believe I am trying to learn from you when I said you should educate me where you saw a skyscraper as you claimed in Ajegunle?

Or am I wrong?

paddy lo seems to be misintepreting poverty, destitution and crime with slums.

Although they sometime come hand-in-hand, he erred to use those qualities to define a slum. People in slums are poor. That does not mean every poor place is a slum.

So because there is no crime in Makoko it is high brow?
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jul 31, 2010
Is anybody watching HBO right now?

They're actually showing the ghettos and slums of the USA.

So sad.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by xterra2(m): 7:03pm On Jul 31, 2010
^^^ So that confirms Slums in the US ?
I wish phillip was watching it
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Nobody: 7:06pm On Jul 31, 2010
Sagamite:

I am sorry.

I must have missed something.

I believe I am trying to learn from you when I said you should educate me where you saw a skyscraper as you claimed in Ajegunle?

Or am I wrong?

paddy lo seems to be misintepreting poverty, destitution and crime with slums.

Although they sometime come hand-in-hand, he erred to use those qualities to define a slum. People in slums are poor. That does not mean every poor place is a slum.

So because there is no crime in Makoko it is high brow?
from the wiki source provided,it is evident from it that not only poor buildings qualify a slum but also insecurity and poverty.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Nobody: 7:10pm On Jul 31, 2010
Aww, they were just talking about american rights and independence, when a 6yrs old busted out "I have the right to remain silence". . . that goes to show how terrible the conditions are. With police constantly harassing these neighborhoods.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by philip0906(m): 7:13pm On Jul 31, 2010
@xterra2
just watch it well. . .when u r done,compare those run down and deprived areas with ur typical ajegunle and makoko slums and put up d results of ur findings grin grin grin
@bluetooth
bu u sure read up d part dat said. . ."slums were eradicated in d industralised world in the 20th century"? . . .~Don't know y all d peeps in here keep evading dat quote~ undecided
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Sagamite(m): 7:18pm On Jul 31, 2010
~Bluetooth:

from the wiki source provided,it is evident from it that not only poor buildings qualify a slum but also insecurity and poverty.

I think insecurity and poverty are peripheral to the core of the understanding (at least from the generic use of the term as we understand it). Otherwise London and Johannesburg are just huge slums.

The core, major and dominant part of the description is the shabby, medieval, insalubrious and lack of the modern threshold amenities in the living environments of the neighbourhood.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Nobody: 7:25pm On Jul 31, 2010
Sagamite:

I think insecurity and poverty are peripheral to the core of the understanding (at least from the generic use of the term as we understand it).

The core, major and dominant part of the description is the shabby, insalubrious and medieval living environments of the neighbourhood.
would rich people live in a slum ? No. . .so lack of money must have made people to settle for slums.in abuja,when the demolition of slums was carried out,the settlers had to move to the outskirt of the city to resettle themselves while those that could pay the over-priced available apartments had to pay just to stay in the city.the point is that there is always an available for the poor anywhere.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jul 31, 2010
~Bluetooth:

would rich people live in a slum ? No. . .so lack of money must have made people to settle for slums.in abuja,when the demolition of slums was carried out,the settlers had to move to the outskirt of the city to resettle themselves while those that could pay the over-priced available apartments had to pay just to stay in the city.the point is that there is always an available for the poor anywhere.
I beg to differ. Define poor. . . .
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jul 31, 2010
~Bluetooth:

paddy lo posts has been really educative and i suggest you learn from it
That's true. His posts are always well-informed.

As for the replies to this post, I guess a lot of US-based posters here live in the salubrious suburbs and don't really venture into the crime-ridden gang-infested inner-cities.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Sagamite(m): 7:34pm On Jul 31, 2010
~Bluetooth:

would rich people live in a slum  ? No. . .so lack of money must have made people to settle for slums.in abuja,when the demolition of slums was carried out,the settlers had to move to the outskirt of the city to resettle themselves while those that could pay the over-priced available apartments had to  pay just to stay in the city.the point is that there is always an available for the poor anywhere.

What I am trying to tell you is that:

1) Yes, slums are inhabited by poor people.

2) Not every poor neighbourhood is a slum.

Hence you can not use poor neighbourhood as a definition or implication of slum like paddy_lo did.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Nobody: 7:37pm On Jul 31, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

I beg to differ. Define poor. . . .
there is a big margin between the poor and the rich in nigeria; which is why you can see the rich in nigeria slum.does that answer the question ?
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Nobody: 7:41pm On Jul 31, 2010
~Bluetooth:

there is a big margin between the poor and the rich in nigeria; which is why you can see the rich in nigeria slum.does that answer the question ?
No, it doesnt. You still havent defined poor. . . .

There is poor and there is POOR. A POOR man would not be able to afford an over-priced avalaibility in a city.

A poor man has the means, just cannot afford what he desires. A POOR man Has no means and dares not desire.

Therefore, I disagree with this statement. . . .

~Bluetooth:

would rich people live in a slum ? No. . .so lack of money must have made people to settle for slums.in abuja,when the demolition of slums was carried out,the settlers had to move to the outskirt of the city to resettle themselves while those that could pay the over-priced available apartments had to pay just to stay in the city.t[b]he point is that there is always an available for the poor anywhere.[/b]
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Nobody: 8:31pm On Jul 31, 2010
Poor is poor only if you are referring to the middle class who some of them can still afford some extravaganza lifesyle.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by ezeagu(m): 8:37pm On Jul 31, 2010
I don't know why Hurricane Katrina photos and pictures of abandoned American neighbourhoods makes some Nigerians really happy and excited, when with just a few clicks on the computer keyboard somebody can break their heart with one picture. And for the notion that this isn't a comparison to Nigeria or a boost up, that is a very big coincidence considering that this is a Nigerian website with a foreign affairs and tourism section, yet this thread was posted in the Nigerian politics section. Hmm, very strange coincidence.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by philip0906(m): 9:51pm On Jul 31, 2010
so peeps r still arguing about what a slum is what a pityembarassed embarassed embarassed.we nigerians and our mentality.seems like admitting d truth means conceeding defeat but it has rather led 2 more desperate and blind arguements here.Imagine paddy_lo(whom some of u claimed 2 have made d most sensible arguements here),calling crime ridden neighbourhoods slums and also telling me 2 discard what wikipedia says about slums. some peeps went as far as putting up pix taken in d 80s,pix of abandoned buildings and abandoned factories just 2 justify their claims. . .
I put up a link 4rm wikipedia defining what a slum is(a densely populated area with generally low standard of living) None of these so called slums r densely populated(infact many have fled these run down arease.g detroit).A part also says,"SLUMS WERE ERADICATED IN THE INDUSTRALISED WORLD IN THE 20Th CENTURY" nobody has come up here 2 "discredit" dat quote.what u have in the developed world ain't slums but "run down areas" and "deprived" areas.
Admitting 2 d truth does not mean conceeding defeat cos we all r learning here.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Nobody: 9:54pm On Jul 31, 2010
philip0906:

so peeps r still arguing about what a slum is what a pityembarassed embarassed embarassed.we nigerians and our mentality.seems like admitting d truth means conceeding defeat but it has rather led 2 more desperate and blind arguements here.Imagine paddy_lo(whom some of u claimed 2 have made d most sensible arguements here),calling crime ridden neighbourhoods slums and also telling me 2 discard what wikipedia says about slums. some peeps went as far as putting up pix taken in d 80s,pix of abandoned buildings and abandoned factories just 2 justify their claims. . .
I put up a link 4rm wikipedia defining what a slum is(a densely populated area with generally low standard of living) None of these so called slums r densely populated(infact many have fled these run down arease.g detroit).A part also says,"SLUMS WERE ERADICATED IN THE INDUSTRALISED WORLD IN THE 20Th CENTURY" nobody has come up here 2 "discredit" dat quote.what u have in the developed world ain't slums but "run down areas" and "deprived" areas.
Admitting 2 d truth does not mean conceeding defeat cos we all r learning here.
guy,you no get other things to do abi na by force to force your opinion on people.free me jo
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by philip0906(m): 10:11pm On Jul 31, 2010
^^
did I  anywhere in my post mention your name? undecided undecided ~I just read my post again and just confirmed dat I never mentioned your name or quoted u~. . .so y quote me? undecided undecided
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Kobojunkie: 8:37pm On Aug 01, 2010
[table][tr][td]
[/td][td][/td][/tr][/table]

@Poster, at least post the right pictures. The above, which also happens to be of one of the areas you had earlier[b] is actually Manilla and not detroit[/b]. Yes, there are areas considered slums in detroit but there are no shacks as you tried to claim there, and going by the UN definition of the word slum, low cost housing areas are not automatically SLUMS. Sure some of them are dirty but slums many are not.

A slum, as defined by the United Nations agency UN-HABITAT, is a run-down area of a city characterized by substandard housing and squalor and lacking in tenure security. According to the United Nations, the proportion of urban dwellers living in slums decreased from 47 percent to 37 percent in the developing world between 1990 and 2005.[3] However, due to rising population, the number of slum dwellers is rising. One billion people worldwide live in slums[4] and the figure will likely grow to 2 billion by 2030.[5]

The term has traditionally referred to housing areas that were once relatively affluent but which deteriorated as the original dwellers moved on to newer and better parts of the city, but has come to include the vast informal settlements found in cities in the developing world.[6]

Many shack dwellers vigorously oppose the description of their communities as 'slums' arguing that this results in them being pathologised and then, often, subject to threats of evictions.[7] Many academics have vigorously criticized UN-Habitat and the World Bank arguing that their 'Cities Without Slums' Campaign has led directly to a massive increase in forced evictions.[8]

The presence of delapidated buildings and abandoned buildings/high foreclosure rate does not automatically make a neighborhood a slum. Notice that even high crime rate does not make a place a slum. What makes a slum is usually a combination of factors and that is why some attempt to argue that slums do not exist in the US. While I do not agree with this, I do have to ask how many people actually believe the existence of slums in America justifies the existence of an approxmate 70% slum situation in Nigeria though?

Again, a BAD house on the block DOES NOT, I repeat, DOES NOT a slum make. That immigrants or relations CROWD a house ( eg 10 people living in a 2 bedroom apartment) DOES NOT MAKE the house a slum. IT DOES NOT. The same house could have running water, electricity and heat for all 10 to enjoy. The 10 could decide to shut it all off so they can save extra money. The 10 can decide not to clean or take care of the house. That does not make the house a SLUM, it simply means those who live there DO NOT CARE OR ARE LAZY SLOBS. 

~Bluetooth:

Rich people do settle in slums. It exists in Nigeria, even Brazil, South Africa, India etc. You only need to drive through areas like Satellite town, Ajegungle to see the contrast that exists. Slums are not born out of lack of money. Mind you Low income housing areas ARE NOT SLUMS . .  yes, some are allowed to deteriorate for one reason or another into slums but they are not Slums automatically.

~Bluetooth:

Poor is poor only if you are referring to the middle class who some of them can still afford some extravaganza lifesyle.

I disagree . .  Poor is not poor. Someone on another thread gave us a break down of the differences between a poor man in somewhere like Africa and a similarly Poor man in a place like America( be it philadelphia, NY etc). Poor people in America have access to care and opportunities there counterparts in Nigeria do not have. Both can be poor, with no room and no food but the man in America has a significantly greater chance of seeing his situation change almost immediately, then the man who lives in Nigeria.

And on your discovered education on the state of the poor in US, I suggest you try to get your information from more informed sources than from folks throwing out a BIASED angle on the stories. Detroit's situation is that of a city loosing most of it's jobs and hence talents, not a city necessarily turning into a slum. The city has lost a lot of houses to the recession and so many of the buildings are boarded up(note: boarded up buildings are not SLUMs, they are simply boarded up) and has had to cut expenses to help save money for future while it searches to rebuild. The city did not cut water supply, electricity or heat supply or providing of education to people. Yes the school budget has been cut and schools closed down but that is to save money as against the excesses of yesteryears. But schools are open, business is on as usual and the city is reinventing itself.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Kobojunkie: 3:18am On Aug 02, 2010
The videos on this site here tells a better tale of the situation some residential areas are in in detroit. Many of the homes were destroyed, and left in horrible states by those who had them. Some people were reported to have burnt down their properties when they were foreclosed on. And I bet their are still people living in some of the areas but to attempt to compare what you see here with what is obtained in Ngeria or any other developing country would be to admit one is clueless of the situation of the poor in most of the developing world.

http://detroitsghetto..com/
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by paddylo1(m): 3:43am On Aug 02, 2010
paddy_lo:

U wanna Live in North Philly be my guest(P.S VIOLENCE IN PHILADELPHIAs BAD AREAS HAS GOTTEN WORSE)

[size=14pt]Tempers, guns key to child deaths[/size]

By Rose Ciotta, Nancy Phillips and Vernon Clark
INQUIRER STAFF WRITERS
The first horror came in February.

A 10-year-old child was shot in the head on his way to school, killed in the cross fire of battling drug gangs.

In July, a 15-year-old boy was shot in the chest as he rode his bike in Grays Ferry, killed by bullets in a turf war between residents of neighboring streets.

Then, in September, a 13-year-old was gunned down outside a Chinese restaurant in a fight over a broken windshield.

In truth, fewer children have been killed in Philadelphia this year than last - and far fewer than a decade ago.

Yet some of the killings have been so brazen, so public - including some outside schools - that people are outraged.

"How many funerals, how many marches, how many hospital visits does it take before people say it's time to take action?" asks Shelly Yanoff, executive director of Philadelphia Citizens for Children and Youth.

Twenty-seven children have been slain in Philadelphia so far this year.

According to an Inquirer analysis of police homicide data, a lethal mixture of guns and arguments played a major role.

Until last year, the statistics had been encouraging. Homicides of those under 18 had dropped precipitously between 1994 and the end of 2002 - from 50 a year to 21. But the deaths spiked in 2003 - up to 30. And this year is not far behind.

So there is fresh fear that the numbers are creeping up again.

Just last month, Jalil Speaks, 16, was shot to death a block from Strawberry Mansion High School, killed in a volley of gunfire, police say, because he owed someone $50. Three other students were injured in the shootout, which took place in broad daylight shortly after school let out.

The first of many candlelight vigils and marches was held in April, when thousands gathered to mourn 10-year-old Faheem Thomas-Childs, who was killed outside T.M. Peirce Elementary School in February.

The momentum - like the killings - has continued.

On Wednesday community leaders designated December a "month of peace" and called on churches and civic groups to work to ensure that the final weeks of the year pass uninterrupted by tragedy.

Tomorrow the Police Department will announce a new collaboration with the Philadelphia School District to gather more information on potential violence.

And next weekend, antiviolence groups and the city will host a summit on gang violence.

"They're just sick and tired, the community, of all these tragedies," said John C. Appledorn, president of the Citizens Crime Commission of Delaware Valley.

An Inquirer analysis of police homicide data over the last five years found that more than half of the victims under 18 were killed by guns. From January 2000 until last Friday, 129 children were slain, 69 of them by guns.

Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by paddylo1(m): 3:44am On Aug 02, 2010
[size=14pt]Death by gunfire[/size]

Malik Upchurch, 15, was riding his bike in Grays Ferry on a July afternoon when he was shot in the chest.

A ninth grader at James Alcorn School, Malik fell victim to a continuing turf war between rival groups of young adults who live on neighboring streets - 28th and 31st, police say. He was killed on Wharton Street, near the corner of 28th.

Police charged a 20-year-old and 17-year-old in the shooting.

Malik, who loved to play basketball and ride his bike, lived with his grandmother on 27th Street. Relatives said he was a studious child who was often bullied because of that.

Amid the turf battles, the streets near the boy's home had grown perilous. Three days before Malik's death, three men were shot in the back while sitting in a car at 27th and Latona Streets. Police said the victims were from 31st Street.

Malik's grandmother, Susie Johnson, decried the neighborhood feuding: "It's all about rivalries and retaliation. "

And guns.

Philadelphia has a thriving market in illegal handguns, often purchased legally by people who resell them on the streets.

In some neighborhoods, gun trafficking is barely hidden, experts say.

"On Saturdays, the gun sellers . . . roam the inner-city neighborhoods, selling guns out of the trunks of their cars to anyone with the money," said Elijah Anderson, a professor of social sciences at the University of Pennsylvania and an authority on the causes of urban violence.

Anderson said the cheapest weapons were those known to have been used in a murder. On the street, they're known as "guns with a body on them. "

"We have guns everywhere now," said David Fattah, cofounder of the House of Umoja, which runs one of the city's oldest antiviolence programs. "You have people riding through neighborhoods selling guns from the back of their cars. "

Last year, 171 young people were shot at in the city. Most of them were wounded, police say.

Philadelphia has long sought to stem the tide of illegal weapons. A bill to limit gun purchases in Pennsylvania to one a month is stalled in Harrisburg.

"Guns are one of the most serious issues we have to address," said Paul J. Fink, who chairs a multi-agency group that has reviewed every youth homicide in Philadelphia since 1995.

[b]Their study found that guns were involved in 91 percent of killings involving 18- and 19-year-olds and 59 percent of those younger.

"People are going to get killed," said Bilal Qayyum, a leader of Men United for a Better Philadelphia, an antiviolence group. "There's going to be stabbings, bats, but the easy availability of guns is creating this explosion. "
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by paddylo1(m): 3:54am On Aug 02, 2010
[size=14pt]Shootings ravage city neighborhoods[/size]

More than four people a day are shot in the city. Most shootings take place in a few notorious areas. But no one seems to be
able to do much about it.

[size=13pt]Last year there were only 11 days when no one was shot in Philadelphia.
On average, more than four people a day were struck by bullets. About one in six died. On one day alone - Oct. 22 - 19 people were shot,
one fatally.
[/size]

It's a toll of injury and death that falls most heavily on the same few neighborhoods year after year: North Philadelphia. West Philadelphia
north of Market Street. The southwestern edge of South Philadelphia.
Police know it. City Hall knows it. The residents of those neighborhoods certainly know it.
Those same neighborhoods were well-represented again in the last two weeks, as the city experienced another breathtaking spree of
violence that saw 22 people killed by guns in 11 days. Among them was 9-year-old Wander DeJesus, who died while sitting in a van.
Others died after arguments over drugs, women, and even a stolen cell phone. Some were victims of robberies. Half were carrying firearms.
Nine of the 22 were young African American men.

Police argue that just knowing how and where the violence occurs is not necessarily enough to prevent it.
"Are some areas more prone to violence than others? Yes," said Deputy Police Commissioner Patricia Giorgio-Fox.
"Do we recognize that? Yes. Do we deploy in those areas? Yes. But we cannot be at all of them all of the time."

The number of shootings - even after months of intensified policing and antiviolence rallies prompted by the killing of 10-year-old Faheem
Thomas-Childs in a schoolyard last year - has dismayed many Philadelphians.
"People have done lost their minds. I can't put it any other way,"
said Mary Cousar, a veteran neighborhood activist who has helped run the
Youth Violence Reduction Partnership, one of the city's most effective antiviolence programs.

"What do you do, get up in the morning, brush your teeth, grab your guns? It's absolutely ludicrous."
Simply counting killings misses the level of gun violence permeating the city neighborhoods that suffer the most.
"The hidden story is shootings," said Charles Branas, a University of Pennsylvania researcher who is studying shootings in Philadelphia and
their causes. For every homicide, several other people get shot and survive, he added.

[size=14pt]From 2001 through March 15 of this year, 6,265 people were shot in Philadelphia. Seventeen percent died.
"This past weekend and this past month may be a little higher than usual," said Branas, "but it's nothing out of the ordinary."
[/size]
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by paddylo1(m): 3:59am On Aug 02, 2010
[size=13pt]What keeps the death toll from zooming higher is the hard-earned expertise of Philadelphia emergency-room doctors. Victims struck with
two or three or more bullets can now be saved with quick and sophisticated emergency care.
At Temple University Hospital, between March 4 and March 13 of this year, 21 people were brought in with gunshot wounds. Ten died. The
others all survived "life-threatening gunshot wounds," said trauma surgeon Amy Goldberg.
[/size]

Some gunshot victims were rushed to the operating room. In other cases, doctors cut open their chests right in the emergency room in a
desperate attempt to stop the bleeding.
[size=14pt]"People get shot in North Philadelphia night after night," Goldberg said. "This is not just an occasional occurrence."[/size]

The Inquirer analysis of police crime data shows that between 2001 and 2004, 50 percent of victims were under age 25, most African
American males.
City officials knew this in 1999 when they created the Youth Violence Reduction Partnership. Staffed with police officers, probation officers
and youth workers, the program set up shop in two North Philadelphia neighborhoods, Kensington and Fairhill, that stretch between the
Delaware River and Broad Street.

Officials face the nearly intractable task of halting a cycle of despair and violence that is fueled by poverty, drug-dealing, broken families,
and a popular culture that glamorizes narcotics and gunplay. Almost any teenager can buy a gun from an illegal dealer, say police.
"Some of them see no future," Delaney said of the youths in his program.
"You and I conduct our affairs to avoid situations that would place us in grave danger. A lot of these folks don't, . If you don't think you are
going to live past tomorrow, why would you do that?"

Police are intimately familiar with the pattern of shootings in Philadelphia and deploy officers specifically to combat surges in crime, said
Giorgio-Fox.
[size=14pt]When Faheem Thomas-Childs was killed in North Philadelphia last year, Giorgio-Fox assigned special units to flood the area. Similar tactics
have been used for the last year in other areas with a high incidence of shootings.
[/size]

The cost of pinpoint-policing can be prohibitively expensive.
[size=14pt]Operation Safe Streets, for instance, was designed in 2002 to shut down 300 open-air drug markets. It required tens of millions of dollars in
police overtime. It has since been scaled back.
[/size]

And unlike drug-dealing, which police can readily trace to specific corners, shootings - even in high-crime neighborhoods - are random and
unpredictable.
Police Commissioner Sylvester Johnson, for one, said the recent surge in homicides does not mean that crime is out of control. As of last
night, there had been 81 homicides this year, 12 more than in the same period last year.
"We had a bad week," Johnson said. "But it's not at a point where I'm panicking. I'm very concerned, but I am always concerned about
homicides."
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by paddylo1(m): 4:04am On Aug 02, 2010
U lot keep talking like North philly is no slum. . A place u cant raise kids in,cause they will get shot
The articles above specifically tell u these areas of the city are blighted and are basically no-go areas full of poverty and rundown houses,businesses and crime

Keep comparing it to Nigeria and miss the big picture. . there is nowhere like this in Nigeria where kids get gunned down/killed in braod daylight and its normal for the people living there
that shows u the problems afflicting these areas are horrendous

and only a fool will deny that or try to compare it to ajegunle , .
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by paddylo1(m): 4:23am On Aug 02, 2010
Faheem Thomas-Childs

One bitter cold February morning, five years ago, as Faheem Thomas Childs walked to school in his [size=14pt]North Philadelphia neighborhood[/size], two groups of men, who had been gun-battling in the days before, pulled out guns and[size=14pt] fired more than 40 shots at each other.[/size]

A crossing guard was struck in the foot. At the schoolyard gate, Faheem, a third grader, was struck in the head, above his right eye. He fell to the ground, onto his backpack. A police officer rushed him to the hospital. He died three days later.

A mother grieved, and a city was outraged.

http://www.kiagregory.com/2009/06/mother-remembers-her-slain-son.html

This happened my first year in the USA. . .I was pretty distraught then . .However its sad to say that it is so commonplace that now i just shrug when i hear another kid had been gunned down.  .Its a shame,but its like everyone feels like if its NORTH PHILLY Nothing can be done about it
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Kobojunkie: 4:28am On Aug 02, 2010
High crime DOES NOT a slum make!! It is that simple at the end of the day.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by tpiah: 4:29am On Aug 02, 2010
oh dear.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by paddylo1(m): 4:46am On Aug 02, 2010
High crime DOES NOT a slum make!! It is that simple at the end of the day.

When crime is localized to certain city neighborhoods,Like North Philadelphia. .then its a slum
Its neighborhoods blighted by poverty,disease, drug-dealing, broken families,and so on. . .

U can deny all u want,but these are slums/Ghettoes, . whatever u wanna call them,and they are present in every american city

People getting shot in North philly night after night is not a symptom of a thriving neighbourhood,but more like a warzone. . .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Nigeria has finished me!! / The Remaining States That Will Decide The Winner Of The Presidential Election / Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) military training (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 214
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.