Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,961 members, 7,810,656 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:50 PM

Picture Of Slums In The Usa - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Picture Of Slums In The Usa (188331 Views)

Nigerian Slum Contest: Anambra Is The State With The Least Slums In Nigeria / Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless / BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Nobody: 6:14pm On Aug 06, 2010
Nice one, KoboJ

I like this one lol

This will come in handy esp when one is waiting for hours for a plane arrival.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by mamagee3(f): 7:01pm On Aug 06, 2010
Sagamite:

Is that the surmisation your educational level affords you?
grin grin grin
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Jakumo(m): 7:08pm On Aug 06, 2010
Honeric those pictures you have kindly posted AGAIN are of the temporary tent city set up for displaced persons after Hurricane Katrina, which was in place of mere weeks, and as such cannot be regarded as a slum, even if you post those images on EVERY page of this discussion thread.

Obviously you  thoroughly enjoy doing the broken record thang over and over again, so have at it, and indulge in your delusion for as long as you please.  You are more than welcome to your alternate reality, just as a shuffling wino is to his bottle in a brown paper bag.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by honeric01(m): 7:29pm On Aug 06, 2010
Jakumo:

Honeric those pictures you have kindly posted AGAIN are of the temporary tent city set up for displaced persons after Hurricane Katrina, which was in place of mere weeks, and as such cannot be regarded as a slum, even if you post those images on EVERY page of this discussion thread.

Obviously you  thoroughly enjoy doing the broken record thang over and over again, so have at it, and indulge in your delusion for as long as you please.  You are more than welcome to your alternate reality, just as a shuffling wino is to his bottle in a brown paper bag.

You closed your eyes? does those pics looking like a Katrina settlement to you? those for Katrina settlement mostly lived in condos, not these kinda tenths, get your facts right man and stop deceiving yourself.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Jakumo(m): 7:32pm On Aug 06, 2010
Provided you are happy, then all is well.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by philip0906(m): 7:39pm On Aug 06, 2010
@honeric0
U r just desperate 2 prove ur point dats all. . .Do those pictures up there look like slums 2 u? But as Jakumo said,if it makes u happy,no problem
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by honeric01(m): 7:47pm On Aug 06, 2010
Well, i am responding to the thread, so it does not change the fact that these places are actually in the US, if there was no thread showing these places, i wouldn't be posting these pics either.

Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by honeric01(m): 7:53pm On Aug 06, 2010
There's no country in the world slum-free except we want to keep deceiving ourselves, at least for now.

Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by honeric01(m): 7:56pm On Aug 06, 2010
You have the right to self-deceit.

Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by honeric01(m): 7:58pm On Aug 06, 2010
And

Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Nobody: 11:10pm On Aug 06, 2010
[QUOTE="Jakumo"]Honeric those pictures you have kindly posted AGAIN are of the temporary tent city set up for displaced persons after Hurricane Katrina, which was in place of mere weeks, and as such cannot be regarded as a slum, even if you post those images on EVERY page of this discussion thread[/quote]
They're not temporary,

[center]In hard times, tent cities rise across the country[/center]
[center]Since foreclosure mess, homeless advocates report rise in encampments[/center]

RENO, Nev. — A few tents cropped up hard by the railroad tracks, pitched by men left with nowhere to go once the emergency winter shelter closed for the summer.
Then others appeared — people who had lost their jobs to the ailing economy, or newcomers who had moved to Reno for work and discovered no one was hiring.
Within weeks, more than 150 people were living in tents big and small, barely a foot apart in a patch of dirt slated to be a parking lot for a campus of shelters Reno is building for its homeless population. Like many other cities, Reno has found itself with a "tent city" — an encampment of people who had nowhere else to go.

From Seattle to Athens, Ga., homeless advocacy groups and city agencies are reporting the most visible rise in homeless encampments in a generation.
Nearly 61 percent of local and state homeless coalitions say they've experienced a rise in homelessness since the foreclosure crisis began in 2007, according to a report by the National Coalition for the Homeless. The group says the problem has worsened since the report's release in April, with foreclosures mounting, gas and food prices rising and the job market tightening.
"It's clear that poverty and homelessness have increased," said Michael Stoops, acting executive director of the coalition. "The economy is in chaos, we're in an unofficial recession and Americans are worried, from the homeless to the middle class, about their future."

Caught by surprise

The phenomenon of encampments has caught advocacy groups somewhat by surprise, largely because of how quickly they have sprung up.
"What you're seeing is encampments that I haven't seen since the 80s," said Paul Boden, executive director of the Western Regional Advocacy Project, an umbrella group for homeless advocacy organizations in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, Calif., Portland, Ore. and Seattle.
The relatively tony city of Santa Barbara has given over a parking lot to people who sleep in cars and vans.
The city of Fresno, Calif., is trying to manage several proliferating tent cities, including an encampment where people have made shelters out of scrap wood.
In Portland, Ore., and Seattle, homeless advocacy groups have paired with nonprofits or faith-based groups to manage tent cities as outdoor shelters.
Other cities where tent cities have either appeared or expanded include include Chattanooga, Tenn., San Diego, and Columbus, Ohio.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26776283/

Tent cities can for a number of reasons be classified as slums. Not all homeless people in the US are alcoholics or drug addicts as many seem to think. Especially in recessions more and more people become homeless in the US - even many that would have been described as "middle-class" before.  sad
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by philip0906(m): 11:16pm On Aug 06, 2010
^^
Tent cities where 150 people r living is now a slum? Then ajegunle or soweto where millions r packed up in buildings made of zinc(shacks),is now going 2 be called?
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by becomrich3: 11:51pm On Aug 06, 2010
the USA looks like they have a problem. But I have been to the US and many cities do not look like this.

[img]http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~kpm39/images/images/philadelphia.jpg[/img]

Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Sagamite(m): 4:08am On Aug 07, 2010
Honeric01, stop posting non-residential derelict sites (that no one lives on), homeless people or dirty streets (that are cleaner than ALL streets in Akoka, Ogudu, Gbagada, Isolo and Anthony Village) and be calling it slum.

A dirty and unkept good street or people living in tents because they can not afford a home does not make an area a slum. Slums usually don't even have streets in the first place or a drainage network.

This is what slums are like:

[img]http://www.earth.columbia.edu/news/2006/images/slum_nigeria_400.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.ngoabroad.com/images/slums!!!%20jakarta.indymedia--09.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,705594,00.jpg[/img]

[img]http://thaso2.files./2009/02/slum_quarter_in_th_1_galleryfull2.jpg[/img]

Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Depilot(m): 4:26am On Aug 07, 2010
I got inside my 2010 Range Rover drove down from Ikoyi to my Mansion located around Lekki area.

It was a rainy Friday evening. It took me exactly 3hrs 55mins to get get home (even though my manson is 15 miles away from Ikoyi). On my way home I had to go through several puddles full of muddy water/ invisible pot holes. When I final made it home (to my $2m mansion), I parked my car and immediately put on my 2.5m Naira Gen because there was no light.

what do you call my hood @ Lekki Phase 1, Lagos Nigeria?

Answer: a polished slum full of ignorant Nigerians.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Sagamite(m): 4:52am On Aug 07, 2010
Depilot:

I got inside my 2010 Range Rover drove down from Ikoyi to my Mansion located around Lekki area.

It was a rainy Friday evening. It took me exactly 3hrs 55mins to get get home (even though my manson is 15 miles away from Ikoyi). On my way home I had to  go through several puddles full of muddy water/ invisible pot holes. When I final made it home (to my $2m mansion), I parked my car and immediately put on my 2.5m Naira Gen because there was no light.

what do you call my hood @ Lekki Phase 1, Lagos Nigeria?

Answer: a polished slum full of ignorant Nigerians.

4 hrs will take you from London to Manchester.

It once took me 6 hrs to get from Festac to Sagamu, a distance less than 50 miles. That time would have taken me from London to the entry towns of Scotland, which is a huge journey.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Sagamite(m): 5:52am On Aug 07, 2010
These might be full of poor people and even lack amenities, but they are not SLUMS. Yet the American streets are better than them.

Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by tpiah: 5:57am On Aug 07, 2010
These might be full of poor people and even lack amenities, but they are not SLUMS. Yet the American streets are better than them

and why do you say that?
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Jakumo(m): 7:01am On Aug 07, 2010
Sagamite the pictures you have posted are of beautiful rural villages, unspoiled by the pollution, rampant crime, congestion, noise, desperation, fear and loathing that characterize city slums.  I would spend a week or a month in such hamlets in preference to a single night in ANY part of Lagos.

Over the years, my hunting trips have taken me to many such villages, and I must say that some of the most hospitable, honest, unpretentious and hard working folks on earth grew up and reside in such idyllic enclaves.  Long live the road less travelled.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Sagamite(m): 7:46am On Aug 07, 2010
tpiah:

and why do you say that?

They are tarred, they have drainage, they have water supply, they have constant street lights etc.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by honeric01(m): 7:53am On Aug 07, 2010
Sagamite:

Honeric01, stop posting non-residential derelict sites (that no one lives on), homeless people or dirty streets (that are cleaner than ALL streets in Akoka, Ogudu, Gbagada, Isolo and Anthony Village) and be calling it slum.

A dirty and unkept good street or people living in tents because they can not afford a home does not make an area a slum. Slums usually don't even have streets in the first place or a drainage network.

Bro, you have the right to keep deceiving yourself, it won't hurt me, so ride on, you can as well twist the meaning of slum just to fit your own imagination, but the word still remains and others know the detailed meanings.

The pics i posted are of houses some Americans live in and it's not isolated, check out some of them, you'd find cars parked around them, people are in these houses, they're not abandoned houses except you want to pretend you didn't see all these,

NOW I REPEAT AGAIN, STOP TRYING TO COMPARE LAGOS SLUMS WITH AMERICAN SLUMS BECAUSE THAT'S NOT WHAT THE TOPIC IS PREACHING. if you want to compare, open a NEW thread, then name it "Lagos Slums VS American slums" OK? grin
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Sagamite(m): 8:00am On Aug 07, 2010
Jakumo:

Sagamite the pictures you have posted are of beautiful rural villages, unspoiled by the pollution, rampant crime, congestion, noise, desperation, fear and loathing that characterize city slums.  I would spend a week or a month in such hamlets in preference to a single night in ANY part of Lagos.

No doubt!

That is why I did not call them a slum.

Jakumo:

Over the years, my hunting trips have taken me to many such villages, and I must say that some of the most hospitable, honest, unpretentious and hard working folks on earth grew up and reside in such idyllic enclaves.  Long live the road less travelled.

You know that I too have been to some villages across Nigeria and this formulated my recent radical philososphy that challenges the whole hulabula about modern improvements.

Most of the people in the villages I met were happier than city people as they were quiet happy and content when the harvest is good. I question the need for us "saviours" argumentation that they need things like light and modern amenities.

It made me have some radical thoughts that these people do not expect too much in life and are very content (the more you move up north from Lagos, the more it is true).

If you give them light, then that is when they need to buy a bulb they do not know how to manufacture. From the bulb, they want fridge, next they want TV, next they want DVD, next they want cable. All from giving light, one has created a demand that did not really exist previously. This demands are capital intensive and leads to the rat race.

It made me think: is it not sufficient and ideal for a government to just provide food security, accommodation, physical security, health, clothes and basic education (Agric, health, business management).

But then I thought such simplistic existent will limit the ability to compete in the global world and make the people susceptible to exploitation by the greedy educated that want to acquire. So as idyllic as the concept may sound, it is not sustainable long term.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Sagamite(m): 8:19am On Aug 07, 2010
honeric01:

Bro, you have the right to keep deceiving yourself, it won't hurt me, so ride on, you can as well twist the meaning of slum just to fit your own imagination, but the word still remains and others know the detailed meanings.

How am I the one twisting the meaning of slum?

The UN said there are no slums in the Western world as they have eradicated it with good and dedicated governance, you say there are.

honeric01:

The pics i posted are of houses some Americans live in and it's not isolated, check out some of them, you'd find cars parked around them, people are in these houses, they're not abandoned houses except you want to pretend you didn't see all these,

If you attempt to prove the UN wrong, you showed the following:

First Pix: Appears to be an abandoned property that no one lives in (except some crack head might be squarting there). It looks like an isolated building, not representative of standards of the neighbourhood.
Second Pix: This is not even a living quarters. It is a derelict yard that you decided to call slum.
Third Pix: Shows homeless pix.

So how is it me that is twisting the meaning of slum?

Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Sagamite(m): 8:22am On Aug 07, 2010
honeric01:

NOW I REPEAT AGAIN, STOP TRYING TO COMPARE LAGOS SLUMS WITH AMERICAN SLUMS BECAUSE THAT'S NOT WHAT THE TOPIC IS PREACHING. if you want to compare, open a NEW thread, then name it "Lagos Slums VS American slums" OK? grin

The OP luanched the thread with a nuance that USA has slums just like we have. So it is a comparison.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by honeric01(m): 8:26am On Aug 07, 2010
Sagamite:

The OP luanched the thread with a nuance that USA has slums just like we have. So it is a comparison.

Nah, the topic reads : Pictures of slums in the USA.

Sagamite:

How am I the one twisting the meaning of slum?

The UN said there are no slums in the Western world as they have eradicated it with good and dedicated governance, you say there are.

If you attempt to prove the UN wrong, you showed the following:

First Pix: Appears to be an abandoned property that no one lives in (except some crack head might be squarting there). It looks like an isolated building, not representative of standards of the neighbourhood.
Second Pix: This is not even a living quarters. It is a derelict yard that you decided to call slum.
Third Pix: Shows homeless pix.

So how is it me that is twisting the meaning of slum?

Bro, you can dribble round, it's no problem to me, now, back to the topic

The UN that said there are no slums are the same one that defined slum as a place with no proper drainage, polluted, substandard area, e.t.c

from the 3 below pics, what name are you going to give these places?
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Sagamite(m): 8:26am On Aug 07, 2010
This is cleaner than and more developed than all the streets in Yaba, Anthony Village, Akoka, Isolo, Festac etc that our middle class live in and you call it a SLUM?

Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by honeric01(m): 8:28am On Aug 07, 2010
Sagamite:

This is cleaner than and more developed than all the streets in Yaba, Anthony Village, Akoka, Isolo, Festac etc that our middle class live in and you call it a SLUM?

When last were you at these places you just named?

I am beginning to think twice about the way you reason.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by honeric01(m): 8:32am On Aug 07, 2010
Sagamite:

One more thing, Isolo, Festac, Yaba are not for middle class, they are for all, i mean every kind of people live in these place.

All the same, let's not derail the thread, it says "PICTURES OF SLUMS IN THE USA" so stop comparing.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Sagamite(m): 8:37am On Aug 07, 2010
honeric01:

Bro, you can dribble round, it's no problem to me, now, back to the topic

The UN that said there are no slums are the same one that defined slum as a place with no proper drainage, polluted, substandard area, e.t.c

from the 3 below pics, what name are you going to give these places?

And your point is?

The streets/neighbourhoods you showed have no proper drainage, are polluted, are substandard area?

Or are YOU the one trying to twist the meaning of slum by showing isolated homes/homeless people lacking and then calling an area slum?

So please who is twisting it?

Please enlighten me.

honeric01:

When last were you at these places you just named?

I am beginning to think twice about the way you reason.

Yes, I have seen them last year.

You want to prove me wrong and then tell me about what you think about my way of reasoning?

honeric01:

One more thing, Isolo, Festac, Yaba are not for middle class, they are for all, i mean every kind of people live in these place.

Ok, tell me where you regard as middle class neighbourhoods and tell me how they are better than that street that you called slum.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by honeric01(m): 8:47am On Aug 07, 2010
Sagamite:

And your point is?

The streets/neighbourhoods you showed have no proper drainage, are polluted, are substandard area?

Or are YOU the one trying to twist the meaning of slum by showing isolated homes/homeless people lacking and then calling an area slum?

So please who is twisting it?

Please enlighten me.

UN definition:
A slum, as defined by the United Nations agency UN-HABITAT, is a[b] run-down area of a city characterized by substandard housing[/b] and squalor and lacking in tenure security.

This is a dictionary meaning:
accept lower standards than usual: to stay in or go to a place that you would usually consider unacceptable (often used humorously)
So the pics i posted qualify to be called a slum according to UN/US standard of living. a 1st world country should not have anywhere looking that way bro because IT'S CALLED 1ST WORLD COUNTRY.

Sagamite:

Yes, I have seen them last year.

You want to prove me wrong and then tell me about what you think about my way of reasoning?

Ok, tell me where you regard as middle class neighbourhoods and tell me how they are better than that street that you called slum.

Lol, you saw them last year? hehehehehe, that's like more than 1yr ago.

like i said, if you want to compare, open a new thread for that, i am not going to derail this thread, and no need to tackle any of these issues here, just open a new thread for that ok? grin grin grin grin
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Sagamite(m): 9:16am On Aug 07, 2010
honeric01:

UN definition:
A slum, as defined by the United Nations agency UN-HABITAT, is a[b] run-down area of a city characterized by substandard housing[/b] and squalor and lacking in tenure security.

This is a dictionary meaning:
accept lower standards than usual: to stay in or go to a place that you would usually consider unacceptable (often used humorously)
So the pics i posted qualify to be called a slum according to UN/US standard of living. a 1st world country should not have anywhere looking that way bro because IT'S CALLED 1ST WORLD COUNTRY.

Where in the UN definition did you see the benchmark that "substandard" was being compared to?

What makes you confident that "substandard" is based on comparison of host country standard?

What makes you confident that "substandard" is not based on comparison against a GLOBALLY ACCEPTED minimum standard?

honeric01:

Lol, you saw them last year? hehehehehe, that's like more than 1yr ago.

like i said, if you want to compare, open a new thread for that, i am not going to derail this thread, and no need to tackle any of these issues here, just open a new thread for that ok? grin grin grin grin

Feel free to take snaps of the areas today and contrast.

If you are confident in your arguments that they are now better, I am sure you will take delight in going ahead and doing so, even in another thread?
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Sagamite(m): 9:26am On Aug 07, 2010
Here is the UN's definition of slum:

"A UN Expert Group recently recommended to policy makers and international bodies what they consider to be a more operational definition of a slum, one that is intended to enable better targeting of improvement programmes aimed primarily at resolving the physical and legal problems faced by slum dwellers. According to these experts, a slum is an area that combines to various extents the following characteristics:

• Inadequate access to safe water;
• Inadequate access to sanitation and other infrastructure;
• Poor structural quality of housing;
• Overcrowding; and
• Insecure residential status."

Do the areas you showed have the characteristics?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Nigeria has finished me!! / The Remaining States That Will Decide The Winner Of The Presidential Election / Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) military training (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.