Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,906 members, 7,810,489 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:05 AM

Picture Of Slums In The Usa - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Picture Of Slums In The Usa (188330 Views)

Nigerian Slum Contest: Anambra Is The State With The Least Slums In Nigeria / Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless / BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by paddylo1(m): 4:52am On Aug 02, 2010
NORTH PHILADELPHIA

QUOTE FROM TOURIST
North Philadelphia is a very nasty area in the city. It looks like a war zone. Infested with drug dealers,burnt out homes,abandon factories,low income persons and a whole lot of poverty, I suggest not to venture out into this area unless you are looking for a death wish. This is one attraction in Philadelphia that does not apeal to me at all.
http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/North_America/United_States_of_America/Pennsylvania/Philadelphia-860659/Warnings_or_Dangers-Philadelphia-North_Philadelphia-BR-3.html
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Kobojunkie: 4:53am On Aug 02, 2010
Sigh . . .  I see we are now running to TWIST the meaning of the word now . . . Again, a Highcrime area, by definition, is not same as a SLUM . .  simple!

I am situated not too far from one of the country's highest high crime areas  . . . . it is no slum. In the day time, you would almost confuse this place as a quiet area to live and raise your kids but as soon as someone gets shot, you realize almost immediately that all that glitters is not gold.

Abandoned/Condemned/Foreclosed houses boarded up or destroyed by former residents/left to rot buildings do not a slum make.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by paddylo1(m): 5:12am On Aug 02, 2010
[size=14pt]Chicago's Murder Rate Double American Soldiers Killed in Iraq[/size]
09/05/2008 -

125 Shot Dead In Chicago Over Summer

Total Is About Double The U.S. Troop Death Toll In Iraq

An estimated 125 people were shot and killed over the summer. That's nearly double the number of U.S. soldiers killed in Iraq over the same time period.

In May, cbs2chicago.com began tracking city shootings and posting them on Google maps. Information compiled from our reporters, wire service reports and the Chicago Police Major Incidents log indicated that 125 people were shot and killed throughout the city between the start of Memorial Day weekend on May 26, and the end of Labor Day on Sept. 1.

According to the Defense Department, 65 U.S. soldiers were killed in combat in Iraq. About the same number were killed in Afghanistan over that same period.

In the same time period, an estimated 247 people were shot and wounded in the city.

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/chicago.summer.shootings.2.810166.html
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by paddylo1(m): 5:15am On Aug 02, 2010
^^
Lol American cities violence and death is worse than the warzone of IRAQ. . .
To make it worse this violence is localized to a certain small Ghetto/slum part of these cities. . so the efffects are even worse

but ppl on here want to be like ostriches and pretend everything is fine. . .just because one or 2 houses might be nice on the block. . .lol

How about your head. . .how nice is it gonna look with a bullet through it. . . .
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Kobojunkie: 5:18am On Aug 02, 2010
Keep up . . . the discussion is about SLUMS, not crime rate! Bouncing from wall to wall around the main point does not help whatever it is you are trying to prove here. The fact is we do not need to REDEFINE the word SLUM here in anyway. High crime is not limited to Slums, and this applies world over. So, it makes no sense to argue that high crime is evidence of a slum.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by paddylo1(m): 5:26am On Aug 02, 2010
Keep up . . . the discussion is about SLUMS, not crime rate! Bouncing around the main point does not help whatever it is you are trying to prove here.

Ppl are getting murdered at double the rate of actual war-zones with helicopter gunships,tanks and all that and u are worried about d technical definition of slums

the point is that these areas of American cities are worse than slums,they are worse than war zones,Quality of life is zero
Diseases are rampant,there is death,crime and poverty. . .running wild

Keep living in the fools paradise
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Kobojunkie: 5:29am On Aug 02, 2010
[size=13pt]ROFLMAO!!! [/size] grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by philip0906(m): 7:26am On Aug 02, 2010
@kobo
paddy_lo doesn't even know what he is saying.The first thing he told me was dat he resides in america and so knows better.i was expecting "much" 4rm him according 2 his claims but behold Paddy_lo did not even know d difference btw a slum and a crime ridden area .I put a link 4rm wikipedia,guess what?He told me 2 discard what wikipedia  says grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by RichyBlacK(m): 9:28am On Aug 02, 2010
Story story story!

America remains the best country in the world for the black man! No question!

All these pictures are laughable attempts at trying to hunt for cobwebs in the Atlantic.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by honeric01(m): 1:03pm On Aug 02, 2010
sadpeople sha.

What causes crime?
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by tpiah: 2:38pm On Aug 02, 2010
America remains the best country in the world for the black man! No question!

**gosh**
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Jakumo(m): 3:06pm On Aug 02, 2010
If I were dirt poor and given a hypothetical choice, I would prefer living in the United States, in subsidised housing and on food stamps, over living in Nigeria amid a cramped and hellish maze of improvised tin shacks surrounded by malaria-mosquito breeding open sewers, with no option to feed myself than via street crime.

While medical coverage and social welfare benefits in America do lag far behind those of many European countries, particularly the Scandinavian ones, America's poor are INFINITELY better off than Nigeria's forgotten millions of slum-dwelling destitute famlies , who have nowhere safe to live and not even the slightest pretence of government assistance to seek.  In other words, many examples of what qualify as "slums" in the United States are a definite step up from much of what Nigeria would call "middle class residential districts".
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Kobojunkie: 3:10pm On Aug 02, 2010
philip0906:

@kobo
paddy_lo doesn't even know what he is saying.The first thing he told me was dat he resides in america and so knows better.i was expecting "much" 4rm him according 2 his claims but behold Paddy_lo did not even know d difference btw a slum and a crime ridden area .I put a link 4rm wikipedia,guess what?He told me 2 discard what wikipedia  says grin grin grin grin grin

I happen to be, right now, in one of the WAR ZONES he continues to refer to and I wonder what the frell he means by trying to compare this place with any SLUM out there, let alone any real WAR ZONE. Imagine what an Afghan/Sudanese/Columbian/Somalian/Zimbabwean/South African would think right now of those articles . . . . ROFLMAO!!

Jakumo:

If I were dirt poor and given a hypothetical choice, I would prefer living in the United States, in subsidised housing and on food stamps, over living in Nigeria amid a cramped and hellish maze of improvised tin shacks surrounded by open, malaria-mosquito breeding open sewers, with no option to feed myself than via street crime.

While medical coverage and social welfare benefits in America do lag far behind those of many European countries, particularly the Scandinavian ones, America's poor are INFINITELY better off than Nigeria's forgotten millions of slum-dwelling destitute famlies , who have nowhere safe to live and not even the slightest pretence of government assistance to seek. In other words, many examples of what qualify as "slums" in the United States are a definite step up from much of what Nigeria would call "middle class residential districts".

Section 8 does not require one live in the ghetto or high crime area or some run down building. You can take that voucher to any place you that accepts it within the city/state where it is issued.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by tpiah: 3:29pm On Aug 02, 2010
If I were dirt poor and given a hypothetical choice, I would prefer living in the United States, in subsidised housing and on food stamps, over living in Nigeria amid a cramped and hellish maze of improvised tin shacks surrounded by open, malaria-mosquito breeding open sewers, with no option to feed myself than via street crime.

the power of confession.

some of you people seem to have lived in the slummiest parts of the country.

either that or your posts are based on bbc.

were you a resident of makoko before travelling abroad?
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Kobojunkie: 3:33pm On Aug 02, 2010
Oh how I wish we got some rational contrib from this more often . . . ,
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by tpiah: 4:15pm On Aug 02, 2010
^^another tin shack resident in the house.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Kobojunkie: 4:21pm On Aug 02, 2010
WOW . .  how painful . . . so what? I am supposed to cry/bleed / or die now that I have been called a shack dweller? Let me guess, you said that because you have no prejudice against the poor in society, any society?

ROFLMAO!!!
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by tpiah: 4:23pm On Aug 02, 2010
^^why are you so sensitive about the statement.

anything you imply is from your own mind

as we all know.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Kobojunkie: 4:24pm On Aug 02, 2010
Oh Lord have mercy , now it is imagining it asked a question of me . . . . cry
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by tpiah: 4:25pm On Aug 02, 2010
now imagine me having a discussion with a ragged monkey and expecting it's capable of human reasoning

living abroad can do that to you- you start seeing animals as thinking beings.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Kobojunkie: 4:26pm On Aug 02, 2010
lol . . . . sigh!!!

anywho . . .

philip0906:

@kobo
paddy_lo doesn't even know what he is saying.The first thing he told me was dat he resides in america and so knows better.i was expecting "much" 4rm him according 2 his claims but behold Paddy_lo did not even know d difference btw a slum and a crime ridden area .I put a link 4rm wikipedia,guess what?He told me 2 discard what wikipedia says grin grin grin grin grin

I happen to be, right now, in one of the WAR ZONES he continues to refer to and I wonder what the frell he means by trying to compare this place with any SLUM out there, let alone any real WAR ZONE. Imagine what an Afghan/Sudanese/Columbian/Somalian/Zimbabwean/South African would think right now of those articles . . . . ROFLMAO!!

Jakumo:

While medical coverage and social welfare benefits in America do lag far behind those of many European countries, particularly the Scandinavian ones, America's poor are INFINITELY better off than Nigeria's forgotten millions of slum-dwelling destitute famlies , who have nowhere safe to live and not even the slightest pretence of government assistance to seek. In other words, many examples of what qualify as "slums" in the United States are a definite step up from much of what Nigeria would call "middle class residential districts".

Section 8 does not require one live in the ghetto or high crime area or some run down building. You can take that voucher to any place you that accepts it within the city/state where it is issued.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by tpiah: 4:27pm On Aug 02, 2010
gibberish, as usual

99% rubbish.

0% substance.

I happen to be, right now, in one of the WAR ZONES he continues to refer to and I wonder what the frell he means by trying to compare this place with any SLUM out there, let alone any real WAR ZONE. Imagine what an Afghan/Sudanese/Columbian/Somalian/Zimbabwean/South African would think right now of those articles

i blame whoever gave you a visa.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by bkbabe97y(m): 4:50pm On Aug 02, 2010
paddy_lo:

Ppl are getting murdered at double the rate of actual war-zones with helicopter gunships,tanks and all that and u are worried about d technical definition of slums

the point is that these areas of American cities are worse than slums,they are worse than war zones,Quality of life is zero
Diseases are rampant,there is death,crime and poverty. . .running wild

Keep living in the fools paradise

You know, u might be right, some of us might not know the proper definitions of a slum as expertly as u do. Why? Cus WE NEVER LIVED IN ONE!!! Now, brother man, this is my suggestion to you: If you hate North Philly so much, you got two choices: 1. MOVE TO THE SUBURBS (if you can afford it. If you cant, work harder, get better educational qualifications, get a better paying job. . . .) or ; 2. MOVE BACK TO AFRICA!!! I doubt theres anyone holding a gun to your head, insisting you gotta be anywhere in or around Pennsylvania!

At least, no matter how bad any part of the United States is, You aint seeing none of us BEHEADING OUR KIDS FOR MONEY MAKING RITUALS!!!

[img]http://odili.net/news/source/2010/jul/28/sun/head20-28[1].gif[/img]
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Jakumo(m): 5:36pm On Aug 02, 2010
Tpia, you spoilt rich girl, please give consideration to these thoughts as you peer down your nose at those who you wish, hope and imagine to be less fortunate than yourself, simply because they do not occupy the topmost income bracket in a country that is far more advanced than your only home Nigeria, by virtually any yardstick of comparison one could choose.  

Having an awareness of how much more fortunate America's poor happen to be, in comparison with Nigeria's teeming third world ULTRA POOR, does not necessarily constitute proof that the observer occupies that same low income bracket, just as a person's knowledge about the existence of super rich enclaves like Beverly Hills, Belair and Pacific Palisades does not automatically define that person as being wealthy enough to actually reside in those locales.

Similarly, a statement by any person that they work in, or commute through a low income area does not and can not conclusively establish that such an individual is in fact TRAPPED in, or in any way restricted to such neighborhoods.   By way of example, the Crenshaw/Compton/Watts axis of South Central Los Angeles, that notorious, gang infested ghetto, is still considered home by many highly educated, gainfully employed professional black Americans AND IMMIGRANT NIGERIANS who live there because they feel comfortable there, and have known their neighbors for decades.   An attempt to classify ALL who reside in those places as being "destitute" is merely an exercise in wishful thinking, to which we are all entitled.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Kobojunkie: 11:22pm On Aug 02, 2010
lol
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by philip0906(m): 7:28am On Aug 03, 2010
@jakumo
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
i had always thougt dat tilapiah of a girl had brains undecided
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Nobody: 1:12pm On Aug 03, 2010
What also hasn't been mentioned in this thread is the many American families who live in tent cities because they can't afford housing, they could very well count as slums.

[img]http://therealbarackobama.files./2009/03/1-1-1-tent-city-1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://allenaki.files./2009/08/tent-city-in-america.jpg[/img]

Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Nobody: 8:01pm On Aug 03, 2010
tpiah:

the power of confession.

some of you people seem to have lived in the slummiest parts of the country.

either that or your posts are based on bbc.

were you a resident of makoko before travelling abroad?

Truly I have no idea where a lot of these disgruntled elements lived in Nigeria. Going by their posts you would think that most city dwellers live in places like Makoko which is simply not true. Most Lagosians live in modern buildings and certainly not   in makeshift settlements like Makoko.
The main issue with others is that they are force fed a negative image of living conditions in Nigeria by selective unbalanced repoting by the ubiquitous Western media.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Nobody: 8:27pm On Aug 03, 2010
Jakumo:

If I were dirt poor and given a hypothetical choice, I would prefer living in the United States, in subsidised housing and on food stamps, over living in Nigeria amid a cramped and hellish maze of improvised tin shacks surrounded by malaria-mosquito breeding open sewers, with no option to feed myself than via street crime.

While medical coverage and social welfare benefits in America do lag far behind those of many European countries, particularly the Scandinavian ones, America's poor are INFINITELY better off than Nigeria's forgotten millions of slum-dwelling destitute famlies , who have nowhere safe to live and not even the slightest pretence of government assistance to seek.  In other words, many examples of what qualify as "slums" in the United States are a definite step up from much of what Nigeria would call "middle class residential districts".
You are getting the wrong end of the stick there. There are, in fact, a lot of people that live in areas of substandard infrastructure in Nigeria that have been able to lift themselves out of poverty without resorting to crime. In fact most of these slum dwellers do not resort to crime to make a living but are in fact petty traders and artisans and have a strong belief in a greater tomorrow.

You may not want to compare their situation with a young guy in the ghettos of Chicago or Brooklyn whose mother is say, a crack addict ,and whose father is, say, in jail and who is unfortunately sucked into the gang culture. That would be an apples and oranges comparison.

By the way who wants to be on food-stamps for the rest of their life?
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Depilot(m): 1:31am On Aug 04, 2010
Yes America has slums, but they do not have bad roads, where your car has to swim in muddy water to get to your $4m house.
That's a combination of foolishness, stupidity and ignoramus.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Kobojunkie: 3:51am On Aug 04, 2010
tensor777:

By the way who wants to be on food-stamps for the rest of their life?

people have done it successfully . . . it is usually a choice made by some.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Jakumo(m): 7:09am On Aug 04, 2010
Nice try Kaether, with those pictures of the TEMPORARY tent city erected for displaced New Orleans residents in the wake of Hurricane Katrina a few years back.   If anything those pictures show a responsive government taking care of the less fortunate in their time of need.  A similar disaster in Nigeria would elicit nothing more than a call for national prayer and fasting by government officials, assuming they even notice the problem while they engage themselves looting the treasury.

Tensor777, I thank you for your the well thought out response.  I guess I have been lucky to have never had cause to apply for food stamps in my life, nor to witness drug addiction and incarceration in my immediate or extended family, BUT, my earlier[i] hypothetical [/i] submission is not without merit.   Safety nests DO exist for even the most deprived ghetto resident in America, in the form of subsidised housing, food stamps and state-supported educational opportunities, that are simply unheard of in Nigeria, which is why those who constitute the American underclass are way more fortunate than their Nigerian counterparts.  Factor in the HORRIFIC squalor of Nigerian slums, and the contrast with North America is stark, to say the least.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Nigeria has finished me!! / The Remaining States That Will Decide The Winner Of The Presidential Election / Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) military training (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.