Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,881 members, 7,810,379 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:57 AM

Picture Of Slums In The Usa - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Picture Of Slums In The Usa (188329 Views)

Nigerian Slum Contest: Anambra Is The State With The Least Slums In Nigeria / Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless / BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by ezeagu(m): 5:41pm On Aug 04, 2010
In Nigerian slums, people get roasted alive for stealing maagi, so it is actually hell on earth. Please let us not compare.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Nobody: 5:56pm On Aug 04, 2010
Jakumo:

Tensor777, I thank you for your the well thought out response.  I guess I have been lucky to have never had cause to apply for food stamps in my life, nor to witness drug addiction and incarceration in my immediate or extended family, BUT, my earlier[i] hypothetical [/i] submission is not without merit.   Safety nests DO exist for even the most deprived ghetto resident in America, in the form of subsidised housing, food stamps and state-supported educational opportunities, that are simply unheard of in Nigeria, which is why those who constitute the American underclass are way more fortunate than their Nigerian counterparts.  Factor in the HORRIFIC squalor of Nigerian slums, and the contrast with North America is stark, to say the least.

Well I have to say that you have made some excellent points there. There is no getting away from the very deplorable living conditions of the urban slums in Nigeria. There needs to be a concerted effort by the government and the private sector to clean up and upgrade that environment.

As for the inner cities of the USA we are seeing the effects of prolonged hard drug use and abuse and the consequential breakdown of the family unit. That too needs to be addressed not by government this time around but by community leaders and civic organisations on the ground.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Mbeki: 10:34pm On Aug 04, 2010
Depilot:

Yes America has slums, but they do not have bad roads, where your car has to swim in muddy water to get to your $4m house.
That's a combination of foolishness, stupidity and ignoramus.

So what is ur point now
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by sage(m): 12:41am On Aug 05, 2010
The fact that people are posting pictures of Hurricane Katrina and fake 3rd world pictures to deceive people into thinking that slums exist in the US is such a pathetic pity. Even worse is people trying to say if gun fire occurs somewhere that means it is a slum. What a joke cheesy.

Slums were eradicated from the 1st world in the LAST century

Deal with it haters tongue
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Nobody: 9:54am On Aug 05, 2010
^^That is not the point. The truth is some inner cities of the usa are virtual no-go areas for the authorities. It is not about "some gunfire" but the fact that these areas are ruled by heavily armed and ruthless hard drug gangs. Whatever you may say it is no place to bring up a family.

Then again if you live in the suburbs you don't have to deal with that and can afford to be flippant. sad angry
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by philip0906(m): 10:06am On Aug 05, 2010
^^
Then watz d point? undecided undecided "Slums were eradiated in the 20th century". . .as simple as dat
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by UyiIredia(m): 11:19am On Aug 05, 2010
@ Mbeki >>> guy u sure say, u no do photoshop 'manufacture' that picture >>>> i knew there'd of slums in the U.S >> but not that bad cry cry
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by UyiIredia(m): 11:24am On Aug 05, 2010
sage:

The fact that people are posting pictures of Hurricane Katrina and fake 3rd world pictures to deceive people into thinking that slums exist in the US is such a pathetic pity. Even worse is people trying to say if gun fire occurs somewhere that means it is a slum. What a joke cheesy.

the mark of delusion >>> undecided undecided >>> please !!! don't cry cry cry cry
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Mbeki: 11:38am On Aug 05, 2010
If slums were eradicated in the 20th century; then where are the former slum dwellers living? In the white house? Please give me a break!

Some of you from Nigeria that get to the USA one way or the other and defending USA against slum are those that left the slums in their country; and instead of them to think of how to return and eradicate the slums, have concluded to remain in USA forever and claiming Nigeria from the internet, the mere mention of slum scares the shit out of them and will wish that all slums should just disappear in a jiffy and everywhere should look like Buckingham palace.
Guys wake up to reality, if u think slums don't exist, drive round town and ask questions.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Nobody: 11:41am On Aug 05, 2010
Mbeki:

If slums were eradicated in the 20th century; then where are the former slum dwellers living? In the white house? Please give me a break!

Some of you from Nigeria that get to the USA one way or the other and defending USA against slum are those that left the slums in their country; and instead of them to think of how to return and eradicate the slums, have concluded to remain in USA forever and claiming Nigeria from the internet, the mere mention of slum scares the poo out of them and will wish that all slums should just disappear in a jiffy and everywhere should look like Buckingham palace.
Guys wake up to reality, if u think slums don't exist, drive round town and ask questions.

That's the point. So many of them just stay in the verdant suburbia and never bother about how the less privileged live.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by philip0906(m): 11:52am On Aug 05, 2010
Uyi Iredia:

the mark of delusion >>> undecided undecided >>> please !!! don't cry cry cry cry
Mbeki:

Some of you from Nigeria that get to the USA one way or the other and defending USA against slum are those that left the slums in their country; and instead of them to think of how to return and eradicate the slums, have concluded to remain in USA forever and claiming Nigeria from the internet, the mere mention of slum scares the poo out of them and will wish that all slums should just disappear in a jiffy and everywhere should look like Buckingham palace.
tensor777:

That's the point. So many of them just stay in the verdant suburbia and never bother about how the less privileged live.
Slums don't exist in d developed world k?deal with dat.what u have r run down areas and deprived areas in d west. . .check up this link,if u don't believe what u c here,then sorry . . .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slum
Look out 4 that part dat says-"Slums were eradicated in the industralised world in the 20th century"
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by thameamead(f): 12:08pm On Aug 05, 2010
hmmm
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Mbeki: 12:33pm On Aug 05, 2010
this is what u said:
philip0906:

what u have r run down areas and deprived areas in d west. . .check up this link,if u don't believe what u c here,then sorry .
. .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slum
Look out 4 that part dat says-"Slums were eradicated in the industralised world in the 20th century"

this is what wiki said:
A slum, as defined by the United Nations agency UN-HABITAT, is a run-down area of a city characterized by substandard housing and squalor and lacking in tenure security. According to the United Nations, the proportion of urban dwellers living in slums decreased from 47 percent to 37 percent in the developing world between 1990 and 2005.[3] However, due to rising population, the number of slum dwellers is rising. One billion people worldwide live in slums[4] and the figure will likely grow to 2 billion by 2030.[5]
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by ezeagu(m): 12:38pm On Aug 05, 2010
Mbeki:

this is what u said:
this is what wiki said:
[b][i]A slum, as defined by the United Nations agency UN-HABITAT, is a run-down area of a city characterized by substandard housing and squalor and lacking in tenure security. According to the United Nations, the proportion of urban dwellers living in slums decreased from 47 percent to 37 percent in the developing world between 1990 and 2005.[3] However, due to rising population, the number of slum dwellers is rising. One billion people worldwide live in slums[4] and the figure will likely grow to 2 billion by 2030.[5]

Population percentage living in slums by the UN HABITAT, Grey = 0, Green = 20-40%, Orange = 60-70%, Dark Red = 90-100%

[center][/center]
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by philip0906(m): 12:45pm On Aug 05, 2010
^^
thanks 4 dat. . .
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Kobojunkie: 6:54pm On Aug 05, 2010
Mbeki:

A slum, as defined by the United Nations agency UN-HABITAT, is a run-down area of a city characterized by substandard housing and squalor and lacking in tenure security. According to the United Nations, the proportion of urban dwellers living in slums decreased from 47 percent to 37 percent in the developing world between 1990 and 2005.[3] However, due to rising population, the number of slum dwellers is rising. One billion people worldwide live in slums[4] and the figure will likely grow to 2 billion by 2030.[5]

Gven the definition above . . . which of the areas you have posted on so far, fits?

Note
===

a) Run Down Area

b) Sub-Standard Housing

c)  squalor

d) lacking in tenure security

I know we cannot compare the idea of slums in America to that of NIgeria so I would like to know what areas in the US you consider slums.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Obinoscopy(m): 7:07pm On Aug 05, 2010
Based on Nigeria standards/definition of a slum I can comfortable say without equivocation that there is no slum in the USA
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Nobody: 8:14pm On Aug 05, 2010
^ But then who is comparing the two countries?
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by tpiah: 8:20pm On Aug 05, 2010
Obinoscopy:

Based on Nigeria standards/definition of a slum I can comfortable say without equivocation that there is no slum in the USA

sage:

[QUOTE] Police officer shoots himself to get transferred out of particular neighborhood

Ralston was unhappy after he was recently transferred from the 3rd District in South Philadelphia to the more crime-ridden 19th District in West Philadelphia.

Sgt. Robert Ralston, a 21-year veteran and father of five, said he'd been shot on patrol by a black man with "cornrows" and a "mark or tattoo under his left eye."

Yesterday, the Overbrook neighbors were outraged to learn that it was all a lie.

Ralston, 46, had intentionally shot himself in the left shoulder.

He apparently wanted out so badly that he had considered shooting himself in the chest, but feared that his bulletproof vest couldn't guard against a slug fired at such close range, Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey said.
[/QUOTE]

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homepage/20100512_Another_black_eye_for_Phila__police.html
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by bkbabe97y(m): 10:18pm On Aug 05, 2010
@Paddylo

You know the problem with people like Paddy Lo? They come to this country with a certain mindset, believing all the trash the media and their cab driving uncle (and "old people aszz" wiping aunt) has fed them which is:everyone, apart from whites, is trash! So, they live out here looking suspiciously at every black man (even the ones in suits) as a potential gun bur'ser! They do not assimilate, instead they move into the cheapest apartment they can find at the edge of the surburbs (on the border of the ghettoes they claim to be fleeing from), choose a white gal (usual the fat reject whom noone wants, or the ugly skinny one who's know as the town c*um bucket), drive a chevy, start hopping on skate boards ect just to feel white and get accepted by white people! And thats where destruction looms! They start engaging in "white acts"; snorting coke, pills, drinking ceaselessly and endlessly, looking down on "those niggers". . . .

Dude, I read ur posts and, for the love of me, I cant fathom how a man that tries so hard to sound intelligent can always, easily, come off as stu.pid! It woulda been understandable if u joke alot like some folks on here, but son, u TRY real hard to be this freaking intellect. . . . yet, u always fall flat on ur face! You think all, except whites, are inferior, right? Like I said if u hate Philly and the States that bad. . . . .GO BACK TO AFRICA!!! We're tired of condescending attitudes from non-citizens whom we give the gift of electricity, good transportation, and everything else that will guarantee good living only to be constantly slapped in the face with ungratefulness!
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by shotster50(m): 2:55am On Aug 06, 2010
Its a sad reality that what some people term as slums in America woould be seen as luxury for so many people in Nigeria. You can either accept that or keep twisting your arguements round.
Perharps, the aim of this thread, was it to let the residents of Okokomaiko and co know that they are not alone in their suffering
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Kobojunkie: 4:04am On Aug 06, 2010
shotster50:

Its a sad reality that what some people term as slums in America woould be seen as luxury for so many people in Nigeria. You can either accept that or keep twisting your arguements round.
Perharps, the aim of this thread, was it to let the residents of Okokomaiko and co know that they are not alone in their suffering

Given that the pictures of black america most of our Nigeria-bound brothers are familiar with are include most of the areas some of us here would consider slums, I doubt they would be smilling or rejoicing with the bearer of such a message . . lol
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by honeric01(m): 1:11pm On Aug 06, 2010
Are you guys still comparing America to Nigeria?

now, back to the topic;

Picture Of Slums In The Usa.

Are there slums in the USA? yes or no? undecided
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Sagamite(m): 5:08pm On Aug 06, 2010
paddy_lo:

U lot keep talking like North philly is no slum. . A place u cant raise kids in,cause they will get shot
The articles above specifically tell u these areas of the city are blighted and are basically no-go areas full of poverty and rundown houses,businesses and crime

Keep comparing it to Nigeria and miss the big picture. . there is nowhere like this in Nigeria where kids get gunned down/killed in braod daylight and its normal for the people living there
that shows u the problems afflicting these areas are horrendous

and only a fool will deny that or try to compare it to ajegunle ,  .

My friend, stop equating crime with slum. angry
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by seanet02: 5:12pm On Aug 06, 2010
Sagamite:

My friend, stop equating crime with slum. angry
HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING GOOD IN HIS COUNTRY embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Sagamite(m): 5:32pm On Aug 06, 2010
seanet02:

HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING GOOD IN HIS COUNTRY embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

Is that the surmisation your educational level affords you?
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Sagamite(m): 5:35pm On Aug 06, 2010
Now, this is a SLUM!

It is most likely crime-free.

Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by honeric01(m): 5:46pm On Aug 06, 2010
^^^is that in America? is not, then why is it here?
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by honeric01(m): 5:55pm On Aug 06, 2010
These are slums in America

Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by tpiah: 5:57pm On Aug 06, 2010
^^this is a terrible state of affairs.

lord have mercy.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Nobody: 6:02pm On Aug 06, 2010
ezeagu:

Population percentage living in slums by the UN HABITAT, Grey = 0, Green = 20-40%, Orange = 60-70%, Dark Red = 90-100%

[center][/center]

It's funny how some areas are shaded grey.Esp USA. . . . when we all know slums dey dia for plenty.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Nigeria has finished me!! / The Remaining States That Will Decide The Winner Of The Presidential Election / Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) military training (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.