Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,397 members, 7,830,023 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:11 PM

What Was Your First Job Abroad? - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Was Your First Job Abroad? (13248 Views)

First Job Abroad / Job Abroad / Summer Job Abroad Before Nysc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by busygirl(f): 11:13pm On May 09, 2007
yES OO. experience really matters if you want to get a job fast. anyways, go to the any  voluntary work agency near you. Try agencies in London. They pay well too.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by anusule(m): 11:16pm On May 09, 2007
thanx guys grin
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by minute(f): 11:50pm On May 09, 2007
worked @ mickey dee $jerrys for six months.they all suckd.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by romeo(m): 11:51pm On May 09, 2007
i go better one day my people
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by wabada(f): 8:02am On May 10, 2007
Mine was selling imitation perfumes on the streets for this cheap company based in Vauxhall in London. they even convinced me that it was real CK one just in a different bottle to avoid copyright - what a load of bull**** crap was fake. By the time you spray it, leave to go out, no more smell. And worst of all, i get paid on commission. Did it for like 2 weeks and went for something else. Think i joined office angels - can't remember, was way back in 95. thank you lord, am a Telecom Engineer now! have come a long way
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Ndipe(m): 8:40am On May 10, 2007
I almost got recruited to sell cutco knives, but later on backed out. Surviving in yankee, for a 'returnee' was fraught with challenges, because your degree was not recognized, so you had to make do with menial jobs. Having no computer skills meant that I could not secure an office job. I had to map out the bus route, keep the bus schedule handy, and sometimes took 3 buses to work.

I survived, thanks be to God in the Highest, Amen.

Each of us have a story to tell about surviving tactics in yankee. Living abroad has taught me survival instinct, and please, it is more challenging, than living in the boarding house. If you lose your job, and you have no money in your account, that's when you will wish that you never came to yankee. I could have worked at the bank, if I had wanted to, but I wanted to come to yankee, against my mom's wishes. Na so I come see pepper, but thank God, for He has always been kind to me.

A reminder to future travellers to America, better to start life in a cheaper city, like Houston and Atlanta, where there is a large concentration of Nigerians, that most likely, help you out in your job hunt, than to move to an expensive place like the Bay area, where the cost of living is astronomically high. The paycheck from menial job in Atlanta, goes a long way, compared to those in the bay area.

Read this true story. A Nigerian friend of mine, who had won the green card lottery, worked two jobs to make ends meet. One at a warehouse, the other, doing security at night.  During the energy crisis in California, when generators came in handy, he, being the security guard at a corporation was entrusted with the generator. He dozed off at work, and upon waking up, he realized that the generator was missing. He informed his "oga", who then filed a report with the cops, and even harrassed him. When the cops conducted their investigation, their report was that while my friend was sleeping, his boss had sneaked in, taken the generator, and then turned around and accused my friend of negligence. Till today, I just find the story, so funny, but my friend was disgusted, and promptly quit his job, then relocated to Houston. Just days ago, I was informed that he works for an oil company. I still tease him about the incident. cheesy cheesy smiley

1 Like

Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by ovadose(f): 11:17am On May 10, 2007
my first job was reading to 1st graders through the America Reads program. $7.50 per hour for a 16 year old. Got it through my school
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Waxxy(m): 12:27pm On May 10, 2007
My first job in UK was at 4" Le Meridien Picadilly, in Picadilly Circus. One of my mates got me the job just 2 days after i got to the UK. I had to operate a dish washing machine and assist about 3 chefs at the same time. I did it for ! day and almost died, i only came back the next day to tell the supervisor that i was not working again and ran away. I didnt get another job for months

Fast forward 2 today, my job is easy and comfortable for my schedule and its very interesting. Like one of my mates will say, everyone needs to experience some menial work to be able to tell a story.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by omoge(f): 2:18pm On May 10, 2007
someone said only those without scholarship do menial job. I don't think it's true.

some of us have full scholarship, tuition, books, accomodation, allowance, etc and then travel allowance all covered. Also if you do well in sch, you get additional inside scholarships. I worked because of the Boredom. what do I do when not studying? going to the clubs? 2-3hours work week days and then saturday maybe 5hours.
You do menial job because that's readily/easily available.  The more you become aware, the more choices you have. I don't see my work at my college cafe as menial. But the standing ain't funny,  grin
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by bumax: 2:21pm On May 10, 2007
RichyBlack,just wanted 2 know how u got d job of a TeACHING assistant in d U.K.AND one more thing were can i learn d soft wares Maple and MATLAB AND wat are they all about?Thanx my brother.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by bunmii(f): 4:58pm On May 10, 2007
my very first job was at a charity job (voluntary) in penge, i wanted a real job but you need to have experience and there was a limit to all the lies i could tell on my CV because they needed references, after three weeks i left the job

then i did a care assistant course (2 weeks) with the intention of workin in care homes but all the job interview i got after the course the time was inconvienient for me because of i was still @ college and apparently they needed older people i was 17 den

after several weeks i finally got my first job at a bookshop in tottenham hale i still remember how proud i was when i got my first paycheck  cheesy
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by SweetT1: 8:42pm On May 10, 2007
Students financial aid assistant.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Ivvy(f): 11:53am On May 11, 2007
Wait a minute, is dis like 'Nigerian in diaspora

Hw com everybody lives abroad? grin

Anyways, havnt worked abroad b4, bt my first job in naija was in a little snacks shop, i can never 4get it, cos my right ,index finger almost got disfigured!!!!!
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Nobody: 1:44pm On May 11, 2007
some of your experiences are funny and some are lessons. I started as a cleaner, got up at 4.50am to clean a club in london bridge. u can imagine cleaning a club after all these yobs, dirty toilet,vomit everywhere,used condoms,sanitary pad.e.t.c I later found out that the owner of the business(i mean the cleaning business) actually got the contract through franchise. I did a lot of underground work about franchise and i made up my mind that i will get one too.  To cut a long story short, i got a cleaning franchise too that employ 32people and i am a qualified mortgage adviser and i run my own property management company.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Rlst84sale(m): 6:39pm On May 11, 2007
Digging ditches and road in winter
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by gbeborun(m): 7:12pm On May 11, 2007
Ivvy:

Wait a minute, is this like 'Nigerian in diaspora

Hw com everybody lives abroad? grin

Anyways, havnt worked abroad before, bt my first job in naija was in a little snacks shop, i can never forget it, because my right ,index finger almost got disfigured!!!!!
@Ivvy, please read the title of the post. it clearly says Your first Job Abroad
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by nosa101(f): 7:23pm On May 11, 2007
bumax:

RichyBlack,just wanted 2 know how u got d job of a TeACHING assistant in d U.K.AND one more thing were can i learn d soft wares Maple and MATLAB AND what are they all about?Thanx my brother.
I could help, i took a Matlab class this semester and i'm taking maple next semester
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by anusule(m): 11:04pm On May 11, 2007
cool
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by busygirl(f): 11:06pm On May 11, 2007
bro, i'm happy for you cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by anusule(m): 11:09pm On May 11, 2007
thanks gurl
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by anusule(m): 11:09pm On May 11, 2007
sorry . thanks love wink
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by soulpatrol(f): 11:30pm On May 11, 2007
aaahhhh, anusule, make we come share the money? break me off a piece now grin congrats jare.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by anusule(m): 11:32pm On May 11, 2007
thanks loveee. do you accept cards? card machine? thats only wat i could use. wink cool
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by beavers007(m): 9:25pm On May 14, 2007
Flipping burgers at Burger Kings, Westminster,MD. 2001. Cant forget that experience, couldn't last on the Job.Moved to a constuction co. working on the roof, Sept 11 cut it short.Men, those menial jobs those days.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by anusule(m): 11:47pm On May 14, 2007
resigned from the job embarassed embarassed
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Bulga(m): 12:37am On May 15, 2007
@ Anusule,
How come you have already resigned? Please what went wrong?
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by busygirl(f): 7:27pm On May 15, 2007
So quick anusule, what happened?
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by mystikal(m): 3:05pm On May 16, 2007
i'm due in newcastle to study 4 my masters by september, any1 knows what menial jobs are available around this area (University of newcastle, upon tyne)? i could really use the extra pounds. Thanks a lot!
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by DisGuy: 2:37am On May 17, 2007
mystikal you dont have to work, i heard they are distributing money in nigeria cheesy
cold go wire your ass eh newcastle nice place though
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by anusule(m): 10:19pm On May 17, 2007
thanks for your concerns. grin
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by mystikal(m): 5:06pm On May 18, 2007
Dis Guy:

mystikal you don't have to work, i heard they are distributing money in nigeria cheesy
cold go wire your ass eh newcastle nice place though
it's not really about the money, what will i do with boredom!, tho' i wont mind extra pounds like i said!
cold no be wahala boy! i dey practice with AC from morn 2 night lol!
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by DisGuy: 6:52pm On May 18, 2007
lol you will soon know there are different types of ACs. Try practising in a cold room 23hrs a day for 8 straight months!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Passengers Disrupt Arik’s Services At Lagos Airport / Studying In France. / Five Die As Trailer Crashes Into Commercial Bus In Edo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.