Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,997 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:59 AM

Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw (65113 Views)

How Do I Change My Seat On Qatar Airways? / Nurse Who Visited Nigeria Over 35 Years Ago Moves Man To Tears In UK. Photos / Train Crushes Man To Death In Ikeja (Graphic Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by aigboeben(m): 2:00pm On Jun 24, 2019
superability:
Apostle Joshua Selman of Koinonia once had similar encounter with Prof Soyinka too.
The air hostess wanted even tell Prof Soyinka to stand up, but Apostle rebuked her that she should respect the man that he will seat on any available seat.
African values is fasting fading away.

Lest I forget tomorrow is Apostle Joshua Selman's birthday
Are you saying Prof Wole Soyinka is in the habit of taking other people's seats? That's is not a good image for his reputation and age. The proof of eldership is not just grey hair or longevity on Earth, but exemplary character(including abiding by the rules)

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by PoliteActivist: 2:00pm On Jun 24, 2019
As Soyinka was/is a cultist, maybe the guy belongs to a competing cult

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jun 24, 2019
SageMK:

Abegi.

It's within the young man's right to demand for his seat.

Disrespect only comes into play based on the manner of his approach. Being old doesn't make an elder entitled to what rightfully belongs to someone. That's nonsense.

Well spoken. Prof Wole Soyinka should've known better that pax are assigned to seats based on check-ins. People are just reacting based on sentiments. Like someone else rightly said, if I were the guy I would've gladly given up more of my seats for the Noble Prof. But that doesn't mean the young man is wrong. He is 110% entitled to sit in his seat. He paid for it and not Tonye Cole.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by inspector44(m): 2:02pm On Jun 24, 2019
U don't do the wrong tin and tag it to disrespect, if they are rules then it must be obeyed, in as much as the young boy's behavior was wrong i still feel Prof should hav obeyed the rule of the flight too
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Alcacer47: 2:04pm On Jun 24, 2019
sparko1:

Its is very easy to identify you, how does supporting Buhari have anything to do with value system, when an old man is sitting, I don't know where you are from, you can't ask the old man to stand up. The sit might be yours, like it was assigned, if there were no sits in the plane and he was occupying yours, and you see he is an old man, the best you will do is to go to the cabin crew and report, they will sort it out.

You might think, yes, because he is a yoruba man, if it was Achebi that was treated that way, what would have be your response.
We as a country should be very careful, our core value system should not be viewed with politic and sentiments.
Exactly my thoughts bro, so because Chinua Achebe who isn't a buhari supporter took my seat on a plane, next thing is to tell him to leave my sit just cos I wanna prove a stupid point? Comments above have shown nairaland/SM is now full of kids who know nothing bout life

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Boboye4slim(m): 2:08pm On Jun 24, 2019
Juliusmalema:
Wole Soyinka is the one looking for trouble. He should go and look for his seat number and occupy where is assigned to him.

Imagine a professor behaving like a rascal or a tout

what is he teaching then?

Soyinka didnt look for trouble, the writer said he promptly stood up isnt it? The ones looking for trouble are the one who felt this should get to the media.

2 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by unmask: 2:09pm On Jun 24, 2019
Who else noticed Tonye cole's subtle attempt to paint the guy bad with his description?

Wole Soyinka was wrong and it is a shame what mo abudu wrote. Nothing is coming to the lad.

The right approach would have been to let the young man sit, then request a swap...any other way, the professor would be wrong

10 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by sparko1(m): 2:09pm On Jun 24, 2019
BlackfireX:

What is this one saying

You need basic comprehension textbooks, my 10 years old cousin can read and understand that! you need help and its might just be too late!
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by NnwachukuOkike: 2:09pm On Jun 24, 2019
The young man simply obeyed the rules of the airlines. Who assigned Soyinka to that seat in the place?

If not that Nigeria is zoo, Mr Soyinka ought to had sat in where he was assigned to sit.

What hypothetical Nigerians political sycophants ought to have asked is "WAS MR SOYINKA ASSIGNED TO THE SEAT BY THE AIRLINES?"

LAWLESS NIGERIAN ELDERS.

5 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by cooldipo(m): 2:10pm On Jun 24, 2019
This is so low coming from Soyinka

So demystifying shocked

So he is this kind of person too? grin
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Alcacer47: 2:11pm On Jun 24, 2019
IjebuAssasin:

Exactly! Only one tribe is known to lack total respect and morals for elders within their culture yet, tags it with fighting for their rights. Na the same tribe dey wake their parents with kicks and blows.... grin
We all know better, don't we? Cursed tribe!
>: grin grin grin Funny as it is, u just pointed out the fact bro...very hilarious grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by kyuba(m): 2:13pm On Jun 24, 2019
PatrioticNaija:

Well spoken. Prof Wole Soyinka should've known better that pax are assigned to seats based on check-ins. People are just reacting based on sentiments. Like someone else rightly said, if I were the guy I would've gladly given up more of my seats for the Noble Prof. But that doesn't mean the young man is wrong. He is 110% entitled to sit in his seat. He paid for it and not Tonye Cole.
it's in Africa mentality that the older ones are always right even when they are wrong# nothing wrong with what the young guy did

7 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by folahan30(m): 2:13pm On Jun 24, 2019
truly it's end time..... can't believe what I'm reading as comments here. we've really lost the real value system. our youths are truly missing it.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by royal231(m): 2:14pm On Jun 24, 2019
If I enter an aeroplane and see Soyinka on my seat.. If I have a gun on me.. I go shoot am aside

WNC
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Advancedman(m): 2:14pm On Jun 24, 2019
Jayslicky:
The man didn't disrespect Soyinka he was only fighting for his right, the seat was assigned to him and it's normal for soyinka to seat elsewhere, if it was me I would have let Soyinka have the seat but not everyone is the same, he had a choice and he chose what's best for himself.

You get sense if it were another individual or the guy like he was described was not fan of poet and would have relinquished his seat if it was Burna Boy.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by anabose: 2:14pm On Jun 24, 2019
after reading the comments I believe say hope de for Nigeria........the youth will take us there not old men.
wole sense nor de work.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jun 24, 2019
Boboye4slim:

Soyinka didnt look for trouble, the writer said he promptly stood up isnt it? The ones looking for trouble are the one who felt this should get to the media.

To you a Yoruba man he wasn't looking for trouble , because he is Yoruba abi? then what was he doing in someone's seat??

Mtcheew

You guys never ceases to amaze me?

All defending rubbish.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by AnanseK(m): 2:18pm On Jun 24, 2019
It not only right but very respectful to sit where you are allocated. Soyinka should have requested for a widow seat, if that’s what he wanted, in order maintain his respect.

2 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Realdeals(m): 2:18pm On Jun 24, 2019
I don't know why people feel entitled when there are rules and regulations. These kind of actions are what brought Nigeria to where we are.

4 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by TemmyT002(m): 2:20pm On Jun 24, 2019
I wouldn't say he was totally wrong. He probably had a genuine reason for wanting to seat there.
Everyone to his or her own opinion. Personally, I wouldn't have disturbed the old man.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by AnanseK(m): 2:20pm On Jun 24, 2019
royal231:
If I enter an aeroplane and see Soyinka on my seat.. If I have a gun on me.. I go shoot am aside

WNC

Thank God , they screen out mad men with guns right at the check in.

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Tmemzi: 2:23pm On Jun 24, 2019
You are absolutely right! For Christ sake the Prof. Was duly assigned a SEAT! HE SHOULD GO AND SIT THERE!!!!! This has nothing to do with culture at all.
Juliusmalema:
Wole Soyinka is the one looking for trouble. He should go and look for his seat number and occupy where is assigned to him.

Imagine a professor behaving like a rascal or a tout

what is he teaching then?

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Boboye4slim(m): 2:23pm On Jun 24, 2019
Juliusmalema:

To you a Yoruba man he wasn't looking for trouble, then what was he doing in someone's seat??

Mtcheew

You guys never ceases to amaze me?

All defending rubbish.

What's the meaning of this mindset you have. I am a Nigerian from the Yoruba tribe. Take your tribal fight elsewhere, ibo hausa yoruba...we are all human beings.

The whole scenario shows stinks saw an empty seat closer to the window, probably thinks no one would seat there ( as it happens oftentime, cuz not all seat gets occupied at the end.) And when it happens that the owner came and demand his seat, the prof humbly stood up and leave the seat for him. What else do you want him to do?? Is soyinka the one that brought the news on nairaland? Did soyinka refuse to stand up? What with the Yoruba comments ? Life no hard like that my brother. You wouldnt know if anything went down at the airport if these people didnt post it here. I blamed the blogger. Soyinka no cry say na must nau

2 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by TruthHurts100: 2:23pm On Jun 24, 2019
Muttee:
Business executive, Tonye Cole narrated an incident he witnessed on a plane between renowned writer Wole Soyinka and a Nigerian man.

Tonye Cole said Mr Wole Soyinka got on the plane and took the window seat. When the young man assigned the seat boarded, he insisted Mr Soyinka leaves his seat. Others on the plane, including the crew members, begged the young man to let the Nobel Laureate have his seat. But the man insisted on sitting where he was assigned.

Mr Cole said this is an indication that our value system has been eroded and youths no longer have repect for elders. Ms Mo Abudu and Kate Henshaw commented, agreeing with him that the young man's behaviour was unacceptable.

https://all-gists..com/2019/06/unusual-encounter-between-soyinka-and-a-plane-passenger-tony-cole-others-reacts.html

There should be orderliness.

I was in a bus... We sit four.... I was the third. A woman came last and she's to sit near the door. I came down for her to sit inside while I sit near the opened entrance cos I'm a man and I can hold on tight to whatever.

The woman was happy, I was happy.

Let's change the angle... What if the woman can and asked me to come down for her to sit inside? Two things will happen, it's either I agree or I disagree.

So Mr Soyinka knows his seat no. He should have seated there and he may then ask the owner of the seat if he could swap?

Don't say because you're an elderly man or you have a position then you want to use that to gain an advantage over others. Same way policemen wouldn't want to pay their transport fare. This is the same as jumping a queue.

You have to earn respect of a person, you can't assume it.

Now, the manner at which the young man ordered Mr Soyinka out of his seat might have been rude. There are better ways of tell an elderly to do the right thing. I don't support disrespecting elders. But elders should earn their respect as well.

Pls don't insult me if you don't understand me oooo, I'm feeling cold and my battery is 3%.

6 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by maxzzo1(m): 2:24pm On Jun 24, 2019
Tonye cole is a foolish man, Soyinka sat on d young mans seat so he show worship him.....what kind of value is he talking ? An elder that does not respect him self how will the youth respect him " respect is reciprocal " idiot Tonye coke should apologize to d young man and shame on Soyinka what happen is like jumping a queue....is this same set of people that spoilt and are still spoiling Nigeria.....

5 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by blackslayer: 2:24pm On Jun 24, 2019
gosh i haven't been on a plane in 3 years...crazy! wole soyinka should learn how to be orderly...that's why people have assigned seats!

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Realdeals(m): 2:25pm On Jun 24, 2019
folahan30:
truly it's end time..... can't believe what I'm reading as comments here. we've really lost the real value system. our youths are truly missing it.

The useless value system that has brought Nigeria to its kneel. Should the value led to breaking of the rules, value should not be demanded, it should be earned not feeling entitled. Older people should set example for what is right and not erode it.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by dante0147: 2:25pm On Jun 24, 2019
The only way I would leave my sit is if he begs for him to sit st the window side! But if he is forming celebrity one thing I won’t just condone that! I choose a particular sit when booking my flight ticket! So what’s the fuss about if you needed a window sit why not select it when buying the ticket !
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Tmemzi: 2:25pm On Jun 24, 2019
You are very stupid for spewing this thrash. He should have requested.for his own window seat when purchasing his ticket!!!!!
TemmyT002:
I wouldn't say he was totally wrong. He probably had a genuine reason for wanting to seat there.
Everyone to his or her own opinion. Personally, I wouldn't have disturbed the old man.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Tchinaidi(m): 2:25pm On Jun 24, 2019
Jwonder:

You are sick in the head! Let him go to better countries and sit on someone's seat and see if he will not be chased away.
Na Dem!! Indomie generation

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Visa To Mauritius / UK: Changes To Visa, Immigration Rules Effective October 1 / Herbert Macaulay Road, Yaba Has Pedestrian Bridges That Nobody Uses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.