Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,869 members, 7,817,567 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:31 PM

How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? (26964 Views)

I Mistakenly Impregnated My Troublesome Baby Mama / How I Sent My Troublesome First Wife Packing Peacefully / Please I Need Advice To Evict My Step Brother From My Family House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by H2ho(m): 10:21am On Dec 05, 2019
AceOfRed:
Please I need legal or customary advice from experienced people.

My dad built a house in the early 80s; a 5 bedroom bungalow, that's before he got married. As at the time he completed the building, he was about to get married, while his 2 brothers were still single then. Because my dad was not based in my town, he gave all his 2 brothers 1 room each to stay in, as they were bachelors. My family occupies 3 rooms ensuite, while my uncles occupy the other two rooms, with a detached kitchen and toilet.

As time went on, they later got married, but still kept living in the single rooms. Now they have families, with my oldest cousin being in his 20s.

The problem is that the relationship between my dad and his brothers has deteriorated terribly over the past years to the extent that my uncle's and their wives now threaten my parents with murder and diabolical acts. In fact, I can't put on text the many issues that have arose between my parents and my uncles.

Now, my dad wants them to vacate his house but they bluntly refused saying that they will live there for as long as they wish. As the first son, he has divided their ancestral lands amongst them, but they have refused to put up there.

Their continued stay in that house has become a huge source of worry and headache to my parents. There is no day that one issue or the other doesn't come up.

My dad has reported them severally to the 'umunna', but this hasn't yielded any benefit. As members of the umunna are people of questionable judgement. They keep telling my dad to wait till my uncle's build their own house, but they are not even interested in building anything, as they have made it clear that they will live with my parents, just to be monitoring them.
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by CapitalHYC(m): 10:21am On Dec 05, 2019
There are people like this with stupid sense of Entitlement

7 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Lexusgs430: 10:22am On Dec 05, 2019
AceOfRed:

My dad built a house in the early 80s; a 5 bedroom bungalow, that's before he got married. As at the time he completed the building, he was about to get married, while his 2 brothers were still single then. Because my dad was not based in my town, he gave all his 2 brothers 1 room each to stay in, as they were bachelors. My family occupies 3 rooms ensuite, while my uncles occupy the other two rooms, with a detached kitchen and toilet.

As time went on, they later got married, but still kept living in the single rooms. Now they have families, with my oldest cousin being in his 20s.

The problem is that the relationship between my dad and his brothers has deteriorated terribly over the past years to the extent that my uncle's and their wives now threaten my parents with murder and diabolical acts. In fact, I can't put on text the many issues that have arose between my parents and my uncles.

Now, my dad wants them to vacate his house but they bluntly refused saying that they will live there for as long as they wish. As the first son, he has divided their ancestral lands amongst them, but they have refused to put up there.

Their continued stay in that house has become a huge source of worry and headache to my parents. There is no day that one issue or the other doesn't come up.

My dad has reported them severally to the 'umunna', but this hasn't yielded any benefit. As members of the umunna are people of questionable judgement. They keep telling my dad to wait till my uncle's build their own house, but they are not even interested in building anything, as they have made it clear that they will live with my parents, just to be monitoring them.

Go to court and use a bailiff......

1 Like

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by midnighter(f): 10:22am On Dec 05, 2019
Shameless siblings and corrupted umunna. Terrible

Sorry dear

3 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by baby124: 10:23am On Dec 05, 2019
Your father should remove their roofs and doors right in front of them. Hire police to give them one hour to move and then lock up the house for 6months. Anybody that does not move out will be seen as an unwanted visitor. Anyone attempting to move in, a trespasser to be shot on sight. Let him also pay for armed guards.

They can go and live with the relatives supporting their arrogant attitude.

3 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by safarigirl(f): 10:24am On Dec 05, 2019
Sanchez01:
The best option right now is the legal route. Advise your dad to get a lawyer and also involve the police. Let the police invite the three of them, first make them sign an undertaking that they'd be responsible for whatever happens to your dad based on the threats.

Then have the lawyer serve a quit notice to them, possibly before the police. Of course, the eviction wouldn't be immediately but knowing that they have been legally asked to leave will render them incapacitated and plant fear in their hearts.

Whatever you do, DO NOT go the customary way because its approach towards something as this is not really efficient. The so-called Umunnas might be doing the bidding of your uncles.

With the ongoing trend, your cousins might be warming up to 'inherit' those rooms seeing your uncles have unconsciously laid claims to them. Advise dad to get a lawyer before visiting a station. I'd prefer a police command in your state. They are more effective at addressing issues as this one.
are they valid tenants that should be given quit notice? The man can kick them out at any time he pleases, they are living there under his goodwill, they have no legal claim

The best he can do is involve the police and have them forcefully ejected.

9 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Eberex(m): 10:24am On Dec 05, 2019
Ladylite:

Wow. Consider bringing police or lawyers into it.

Police has no say in this matter, trust me

2 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by kestino(m): 10:25am On Dec 05, 2019
Pavore9:
The property being in the village makes it dicey because it is the "umunna" that are supposed to help resolve it but sadly, truth is far from many of them. Going legal is the only option available in such situation while your dad and your uncles are still alive because your cousins may feel entitled to "inherit" where their fathers presently occupy.

Gbam that's the truth of it all, if the dad eventually goes to meet his maker, then this fellow is in for real problem in the futute

5 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Sholaco: 10:25am On Dec 05, 2019
Lolz...
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by safarigirl(f): 10:26am On Dec 05, 2019
AceOfRed:

Funnily enough, I and my cousims do not have a relationship, absolutely none. But I and my siblings respect their parents and have never insulted them. But these my cousins are in cahoot with their parents to wreak havoc in the house.

My parents live alone with a househelp as none of my siblings is at home. So we always feel they are endangered.

About making peace, bros it is impossible now, believe me. I believe they can only tolerate each other when they begin to live apart.
if he can afford it, your father should remove the roof of the house, they will find somewhere else to sleep eventually.

2 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by paix(m): 10:26am On Dec 05, 2019
SmileDance:
He should use the house as a collateral for a loan or better still sell the house grin
That house cannot stand as a collateral and no buy will come, because trouble is brewing in the house.

1 Like

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by airminem(f): 10:27am On Dec 05, 2019
Sorry to say. Just set them up! grin
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by loosecanon50(m): 10:28am On Dec 05, 2019
From my experience, when Umunna tries to settle a case and it isn't working out, the next line of action is to involve the police. That is the law governing Umunna meetings. Your father is in custody of the documents for the house right? If yes, then there is no serious case here. Tell your Dad to involve the police and kick them out, simple. Ah ah angry

10 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Hoodbilonia: 10:29am On Dec 05, 2019
Family matter. Na yur popsi cause am.
As dem don dey dia since,na now your old boy wan cut chain. Dem don dey over comfortable.
Better make una rent the place out,go stay for another house.or sell the house,but another property.

5 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by sterlingD(m): 10:29am On Dec 05, 2019
AceOfRed:

Unfortunately, he cant afford to build a new house now, especially as he doesn't need one.
The other option is to sell the property and relicate.

paix:
That house cannot stand as a collateral and no buy will come, because trouble is brewing in the house.
When push comes to shove something must give way.If he has the documents to the land and they are all in his name.Make move and sell the property and leave the area.

2 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by tofolo(m): 10:30am On Dec 05, 2019
AceOfRed:

burn the house down kowai...... angry
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Ben404040: 10:30am On Dec 05, 2019
I remember when my uncle wanted to come live in our village house. I saw this kind of scenario in the future. I blatantly told my aunties who were the then emisaries NO.
Today everyone is still happy and that one forgotten.
The wrong have been done, Unfortunately it was done in very good faith but have outlived the good.
Try not to join dz fight with your cousins. You guys really have a long way to go fi not your own children will inherit a cold war that started b4 they were born. This is why most paternal family members are seen as piece of sh***t

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by mfm04622: 10:30am On Dec 05, 2019
madridguy:
It is true that some mistakes can never be corrected in life. Tell your dad to try and make peace with his brothers and forget about evicting them.
You should also try your best to stay neutral so your relationship with your cousins will forever remain intact. Buy

This is the worst advise ever! Make peace with someone that threatens to kill you?

17 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Okoyiboz3: 10:31am On Dec 05, 2019
Better chase those bastards out.

They are waiting for your father to die so that they would chase you and your mother out of the house and take over everything.

7 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Nlearn: 10:31am On Dec 05, 2019
Yes.. This is family. Bro
Yes we pray for family unity and progress

But on this issue.. Both u and ur dad. Has to be patient until they build their own house. Even if is going to take them a life time.. U have to be patient.

Just stay away from they problem. And focus on making a living.. Ur dad has done great in building a family house in the 80s

Plan to build urs

And here is the truth.. Even after u build urs

If ur uncle and they family. Has not build theirs.. U will still provide an accommodation for them

That is the fact.

Don't go to the police or get lawyer on this.. U will lose the case..

And the memories will out live for ever..

Find ways to unite the family and be on a vigil of peace and progress

Good luck

Ladylite:

Wow. Consider bringing police or lawyers into it.

2 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by dominique(f): 10:32am On Dec 05, 2019
The land that he built on, is it a family land or a personal land? If it's the former, then we have an idea why your uncles and his family feel they have claims to the property. I'm afraid your dad waited too long before deciding to evict them, he should have done that when they were newly married. By now everybody would have been in their own space. Now they're fully rooted there with their families, it will be very hard to evict them. Your house is more or less a family house now

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by paix(m): 10:32am On Dec 05, 2019
The best thing to do is to let the sleeping dogs lay. If your parents are in position to build another house, let them build another house and forget about this one. Unless if your parents will be ready to SACRIFICE all of you for the house, which you and I know it is not worth the sacrifice. You have mentioned that your uncles are diabolical.

2 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by tiptoe1: 10:33am On Dec 05, 2019
It's better you find a legal way to evict them now cause if your father gets old and pass away( don't see this as an insult, Na all of us go die, our prayer be say make we just grow old well) trust me, they will look for every available way to claim the remaining and leaving you with just one or two rooms

I've seen cases like this severally. Some even send the wife packing out of the house.

5 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Stevegoddy23: 10:34am On Dec 05, 2019
Kindly direct your outburst to Ebuka Obi Ochendu. Don't forget to c/o BBNaija

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Conceptman: 10:35am On Dec 05, 2019
Awon monitoring spirit in siblings form . This kind of fight doesn't end well Because, them going diabolical with your parents is a time bomb and risky for you and your siblings, them go leave your parents then attack u, stay out of their matter let your dad resolve issues with his own brothers, don't get involved

1 Like

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Eberex(m): 10:35am On Dec 05, 2019
I will suggest your dad thread with caution because my watching Nollywood is not because I like watching, no, but because of this kind of situation. Your uncles have become so relaxed having had free accommodation for years that it would take more than an army to chase them from that building. If worse comes to worst, they will murder your dad.

I don't know what your status is, but legal means will not solve this issue. I will implore that you meet the "Umunna", not just meeting them, you need to talk to the key figures. Those who have influence when they speak to others. You need to play politics and here I mean you have to bribe your way. Either you buy them gifts of goat, palm wine etc or you invite these key figures to your place for a treat. Whatever it is, make sure it is worth it. Because believe it or not, the reason why the Umunnas are not concerned is that your uncles have beaten you to it. So you have to restrategize too.

In the meantime tell your dad to keep it cool. Property is something people are willing to kill for, irrespective of family. You too should not let them know your next move, inform your dad this as well. He has to do it the village way, let him lobby the Umunna top shots. They are the ones who have final say to this matter.

Cheers

5 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Nobody: 10:36am On Dec 05, 2019
AceOfRed:

Wtf is ummunna or wtv.. except ur dad isn't as clean as u think. I love my own dad for one thing especially, when he puts his foot down fvck whoever u think u are. Same thing happened in my house but the compound is large and thier free apartments were fenced off from ours but the trouble with my dad's younger brothers was they couldn't live with each other always fighting because of their wives and even their kids hot involved. One day when it got worse and so bloody my dad arrested them (the husbands) and they were given time to move out. Them no born u well to do otherwise. Even after that some of his church members who took advantage of his magnanimity too started misbehaving planting juju in their quarters and running his business down because he also employed them. My guy no fail to discharge them shapperly. I think your dad is afraid of their threats and they know. He better toughen up before them take over his properties. Anyone can be wealthy but if ur not strong enough to keep it then its a pity.. I hope he knows God because that's the real strength. You can't fight devil with devil. Las las na deal them go use ur head do.

5 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by EZENDIZUOGU(m): 10:37am On Dec 05, 2019
To start with,your Dad have to be extremely careful,His Life is in danger.

i see a gang up against him by others.he should trade with caution.

this is a case of fly perching on a wrong place, an attempt to kill it with force may result to something else,leaving it pose a danger grin

He needs Gods intervention, if not they will waste him.

4 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Alashoalash10: 10:37am On Dec 05, 2019
AceOfRed:

so umuna are the law enforcement agents in your area,no police, no court ? Wait until they take over the whole building from you, Better get police involved immediately

3 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Nobody: 10:39am On Dec 05, 2019
AwkaetitiBabe:
Entitled siblings. Your dad should have known that trouble will definitely erupt someday when his brothers are married. Why didn't he encourage them to build all these years?
Happy Born day. Where's my cake? cheesy
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Sanchez01: 10:39am On Dec 05, 2019
safarigirl:
are they valid tenants that should be given quit notice? The man can kick them out at any time he pleases, they are living there under his goodwill, they have no legal claim

The best he can do is involve the police and have them forcefully ejected.
Well, I understand you but they can as well put up a fight and claim it is too sudden and as such, need a bit of time to move. They might not be legitimate tenants but a lot have passed under the bridge over the years.

I want to believe in situations as this, the law reserves some space for empathy. It is only normal to treat them as a legal tenant even when they are not. Forceful ejection can take a new twist within a short period of time.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s / Advice : I Care For My Wife But Love Another Woman / Woman To Divorce Husband Over Bride Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.