Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,896 members, 7,817,643 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:14 PM

How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? (26965 Views)

I Mistakenly Impregnated My Troublesome Baby Mama / How I Sent My Troublesome First Wife Packing Peacefully / Please I Need Advice To Evict My Step Brother From My Family House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by kurlz(f): 11:48am On Dec 05, 2019
Sanchez01:
The best option right now is the legal route. Advise your dad to get a lawyer and also involve the police. Let the police invite the three of them, first make them sign an undertaking that they'd be responsible for whatever happens to your dad based on the threats.

Then have the lawyer serve a quit notice to them, possibly before the police. Of course, the eviction wouldn't be immediately but knowing that they have been legally asked to leave will render them incapacitated and plant fear in their hearts.

Whatever you do, DO NOT go the customary way because its approach towards something as this is not really efficient. The so-called Umunnas might be doing the bidding of your uncles.

With the ongoing trend, your cousins might be warming up to 'inherit' those rooms seeing your uncles have unconsciously laid claims to them. Advise dad to get a lawyer before visiting a station. I'd prefer a police command in your state. They are more effective at addressing issues as this one.

Gbam.
Nothing else to add.
OP this is all I have to say.
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by MedicH: 11:49am On Dec 05, 2019
Lol this case needs ndi akpu obi. Macho. If u bring like 6 bouncers they go eject the miscreants out of the house and use padlock to seal it off. Make i see how them go take enter.
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by AmazingELixir: 11:49am On Dec 05, 2019
undecided undecided

OP you wetin you dey still do for your papa house...time never reach when you go pack out yourself.

Your papa build that house for him papa family compound asuch all him brothers dey entitled to a share of it...make una no dey disturb your uncles ooh.

1 Like

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by mrwonlasewonie: 11:49am On Dec 05, 2019
AwkaetitiBabe:
Entitled siblings. Your dad should have known that trouble will definitely erupt someday when his brothers are married. Why didn't he encourage them to build all these years?

that's why Yorubas say ATI OKERE NI OMO IYA TIN DUN

when you are too over familiar with your siblings,there is no how it will not lead to conflicts and disrespect

Every news I have ever read on nl and seen on TV shows that if you want to help,help from afar and with limits

Kwam1 has sang about it .rora shey,rora shey, anybody tobafeshore... meaning be careful when trying to help so that the one you are trying to feed will not cut your hand

The genesis of the mistake was from the father unfortunately it's too late to turn back the hands of time.this damage in trying to repair it can cost lives as the tenants now see it AS THEIR HOUSE

if he wanted to help the brothers he could just have given them money to go and rent a house ELSEWHERE and then lockup and comot face for their matter.then the brothers will have no choice than to seek for accomodation elsewhere since they see their brother no give them face

Family war is no joke

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by BlackIP: 11:52am On Dec 05, 2019
AceOfRed:
Please I need legal or customary advice from experienced people.

My dad built a house in the early 80s; a 5 bedroom bungalow, that's before he got married. As at the time he completed the building, he was about to get married, while his 2 brothers were still single then. Because my dad was not based in my town, he gave all his 2 brothers 1 room each to stay in, as they were bachelors. My family occupies 3 rooms ensuite, while my uncles occupy the other two rooms, with a detached kitchen and toilet.

As time went on, they later got married, but still kept living in the single rooms. Now they have families, with my oldest cousin being in his 20s.

The problem is that the relationship between my dad and his brothers has deteriorated terribly over the past years to the extent that my uncle's and their wives now threaten my parents with murder and diabolical acts. In fact, I can't put on text the many issues that have arose between my parents and my uncles.

Instead of Reading Naija News i prefer listening to Good Naija Songs Biko ooooo

Now, my dad wants them to vacate his house but they bluntly refused saying that they will live there for as long as they wish. As the first son, he has divided their ancestral lands amongst them, but they have refused to put up there.

Their continued stay in that house has become a huge source of worry and headache to my parents. There is no day that one issue or the other doesn't come up.

My dad has reported them severally to the 'umunna', but this hasn't yielded any benefit. As members of the umunna are people of questionable judgement. They keep telling my dad to wait till my uncle's build their own house, but they are not even interested in building anything, as they have made it clear that they will live with my parents, just to be monitoring them.
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Shegzy8(m): 11:53am On Dec 05, 2019
paix:
Have you read what the op said about his uncles being diabolical? How can you equate life to a house? Anyway I can't argue with you because I don't know what you value more, a house or your life.

The problem is that the relationship between my dad and his brothers has deteriorated terribly over the past years to the extent that my uncle's and their wives now threaten my parents with murder and diabolical acts. In fact, I can't put on text the many issues that have arose between my parents and my uncles.
Both are important. I know Life is more important but you can't let go of everything in life cause you do not want to die.
I know there are ways they can go about it

2 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Ykc2(m): 11:56am On Dec 05, 2019
thats how life goes,you know later now when you and your brothers get married una fighting will start like your father and his brothers ,your brother children may even see you as chiwetalu agu ,just pray for God to bless you ,family problem no dey end oo

1 Like

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Omoluabi16(m): 11:56am On Dec 05, 2019
sassysure:

Don't delve into what u had no idea how it works if u are not igbo. This is not a house in the city but a village house. Even if u are the mad o e in the family, I mean a real mad one who roams the street, u must have a roof in your father's house. The person who built it doesn't matter.
The last born might be doing better than the rest and decide to pull down the old house that have and build new one. The house automatically belongs to every body in that family. That is how it's done. If u don't want your poor brothers to stay with you, then build something for them. Simple.
loool. This is very laughable. I don't have to be Igbo to see how ridiculous or archaic this your system is. Living as bachelor, married man and family man in your brother's house is nothing to be proud of, the way you are flaunting this shameless lifestyle is amusing.
Except I missed something, that is HER FATHER'S HOUSE, not a family house.
The house becomes a FAMILY House for the biological children of the real owner of the house.Which is her father.

6 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by ImaIma1(f): 11:56am On Dec 05, 2019
busar:
This is a very big mistake that ought to have been corrected long ago. Your dad should have given him ultimatum to leave immediately he got married. Having too many family members in a compound breads trouble most especially when they have wives... What I will suggest, your dad should try make peace with them, arrange some money to rent an apartment for them outside your home.

When my dad finished building his house, some of his siblings came to ask for rooms, he told them instantly that there's no room for anybody. Do not start what you can not finish!

Arrange money for them? Or they should be the one to give him money to thank him for housing them rent-free for about two decades. They are not entitled to any money from their brother.

3 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Nobody: 11:59am On Dec 05, 2019
My mom was in this same shit until August this year, the house was sold.
I'm igbo o, but from your story, I see you're igbo too. You know as e dey be when it comes to matters like this. Nobody will judge this matter fairly. The best thing is to sell the house and he should use the money to build another or like someone suggested, take loan from the bank using the house as collateral. Build another and never look back. The bank will collect the property.
But you must be prayerful. People like that can go to any length, if you know what I mean

6 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by AlphaStyles(m): 12:04pm On Dec 05, 2019
AceOfRed:

My dad built a house in the early 80s; a 5 bedroom bungalow, that's before he got married. As at the time he completed the building, he was about to get married, while his 2 brothers were still single then. Because my dad was not based in my town, he gave all his 2 brothers 1 room each to stay in, as they were bachelors. My family occupies 3 rooms ensuite, while my uncles occupy the other two rooms, with a detached kitchen and toilet.

As time went on, they later got married, but still kept living in the single rooms. Now they have families, with my oldest cousin being in his 20s.

Now, my dad wants them to vacate his house but they bluntly refused saying that they will live there for as long as they wish. As the first son, he has divided their ancestral lands amongst them, but they have refused to put up there.

Their continued stay in that house has become a huge source of worry and headache to my parents. There is no day that one issue or the other doesn't come up.

My dad has reported them severally to the 'umunna', but this hasn't yielded any benefit. As members of the umunna are people of questionable judgement. They keep telling my dad to wait till my uncle's build their own house, but they are not even interested in building anything, as they have made it clear that they will live with my parents, just to be monitoring them.
OP no be only u ooo e don do my father sef brothers can kill brothers because of land and house what I would advise your dad to do is meet the village elders again and he should lay down a specific time limit if he returns and they still in there carry police come and boot them out
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by paix(m): 12:05pm On Dec 05, 2019
Shegzy8:

Both are important. I know Life is more important but you can't let go of everything in life cause you do not want to die.
I know there are ways they can go about it
I am telling you, if it were me; I will sincerely let go of the house. I value my family more than a house. Even if I can't afford another house, I believe that one day my children can have theirs. Case closed.

2 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Nobody: 12:11pm On Dec 05, 2019
Luiz1:

Happy Born day. Where's my cake? cheesy
Where's my birthday gift?
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Irore: 12:13pm On Dec 05, 2019
Mopolchi:
This matter hard oooo shocked Family matter no be here.

Suppose the house is a joint effort of your uncles and your dad.
How I wish we could hear from your uncles themselves and even your dad.
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Brightgem(f): 12:13pm On Dec 05, 2019
tomdon:
There are things you aren't disclosing. What is the root of the problem. If your father is the sole owner of the property then he just has to tolerate his brothers and let them be till they leave on their own even if he doesn't outrightly make peace with them because blood is thicker than water.
If the issue of ownership is not well ironed out now I think the problem will never end. Enquire from your mother if your father doesn't tell you everything.
How could they have successfully raised their families in one room each?
It is even doubtful these ones will agree if your father gives them money to go elsewhere
Are you one of the uncles? Cuz what you are saying sounds ridiculous. God punish that blood wey no dey grateful.

So you doubt they raised their families in one room, you haven't seen really entitled and lazy relatives?

The father simply made a grave mistake, letting them stay all those years.

4 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Nobody: 12:16pm On Dec 05, 2019
madridguy:
It is true that some mistakes can never be corrected in life. Tell your dad to try and make peace with his brothers and forget about evicting them.
You should also try your best to stay neutral so your relationship with your cousins will forever remain intact.

you are a wise man bro. i dont know you, but God bless you

1 Like

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Nobody: 12:17pm On Dec 05, 2019
stubbornman:

Let them sell the house... the poster can bring his parents to stay with him in the city for the next 3months while they look for a very moderate bungalow to buy.... because if the man evict them , I swear those guys go kill the man... Family troubles no dey finish oooh
Who will buy the house?
Who will go to another man's ancestral land( land that belongs to the whole family by the way) and buy house without the consent of all members of the family?
All these people that don't go to their villages, always dishing out advice.
U don't sell family house. Maybe u do it in your culture and tribe but the tribe the poster came from don't do that.
Can u listen to yourself. If u don't know how a particular tribe practice their custom,don't choke mouth.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Lastmankc(m): 12:19pm On Dec 05, 2019
AceOfRed:

So,this also happen in real life.I taught is in Nollywood only.

1 Like

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Brightgem(f): 12:20pm On Dec 05, 2019
Nlearn:
Yes.. This is family. Bro
Yes we pray for family unity and progress

But on this issue.. Both u and ur dad. Has to be patient until they build their own house. Even if is going to take them a life time.. U have to be patient.

Just stay away from they problem. And focus on making a living.. Ur dad has done great in building a family house in the 80s

Plan to build urs

And here is the truth.. Even after u build urs

If ur uncle and they family. Has not build theirs.. U will still provide an accommodation for them

That is the fact.

Don't go to the police or get lawyer on this.. U will lose the case..

And the memories will out live for ever..

Find ways to unite the family and be on a vigil of peace and progress

Good luck

Something is doing you. Best find the solution so you stop saying this kind of nonsense.
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by gabicon: 12:22pm On Dec 05, 2019
AceOfRed:

what was your dad expecting after keeping them for over 20 years? over-familiarity breeds contempt, its best your dad treat this case as delicate because they are already threating him, which is a stone throw to carrying out their threat. Going to court might not necessarily solve anything because the law will allow them stay for 6 months to 2 years in other to get their own place. A better solution might be for your dad to erect a bedroom house on the ancestral land and then urge them to move in there if that fails he can go to court, the judge will be willing to evict them when he is sure there is an alternative even the Umunna will give judgment in your dads favor if an alternative arrangement is made for them.

1 Like

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by ImaIma1(f): 12:24pm On Dec 05, 2019
LordKO:
If your father is on money and can afford a new house, let him play the bigger person role, like he has done so far, by building a new one and leaving the old one for them in good faith.

Many a time, disunity is a product of fear. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that it's their differences rather than problems that have kept them in disunity all this while. Physical distance will definitely alleviate, if not eradicate, whatever differences they've among themselves once one person among them takes up the task to bring peace in the family.

Haba Lordko such behaviour should not be encouraged or indulged. I don't think he should leave his house for them because they are threatening him and being ungrateful. He should move out with his family and sell the house. When the owner comes, they can talk to him/her.

It's not their brother's job to provide shelter for them because he is richer. They have become settled there and become entitled.
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by tomdon(m): 12:26pm On Dec 05, 2019
AceOfRed:

Lol. My dad is the first son and he built the house solely on his portion of his inheritance as first son. The ownership of the house is not in question. It's just that they do not want to leave, saying that they will take their time to build their own house, and that's only when they'll leave.

Where do you people now want to pursue them to?
Even if you're not related to them by blood, you have to consider their welfare before you act. Aside food, shelter is of most importance to humanity
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Brightgem(f): 12:26pm On Dec 05, 2019
dairykidd:

Wtf is ummunna or wtv.. except ur dad isn't as clean as u think. I love my own dad for one thing especially, when he puts his foot down fvck whoever u think u are. Same thing happened in my house but the compound is large and thier free apartments were fenced off from ours but the trouble with my dad's younger brothers was they couldn't live with each other always fighting because of their wives and even their kids hot involved. One day when it got worse and so bloody my dad arrested them (the husbands) and they were given time to move out. Them no born u well to do otherwise. Even after that some of his church members who took advantage of his magnanimity too started misbehaving planting juju in their quarters and running his business down because he also employed them. My guy no fail to discharge them shapperly. I think your dad is afraid of their threats and they know. He better toughen up before them take over his properties. Anyone can be wealthy but if ur not strong enough to keep it then its a pity.. I hope he knows God because that's the real strength. You can't fight devil with devil. Las las na deal them go use ur head do.
Thank you jare, not every time diplomacy, force has it's functions. So long you are not the oppressor. Ummunna nonsense!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Shegzy8(m): 12:28pm On Dec 05, 2019
paix:
I am telling you, if it were me; I will sincerely let go of the house. I value my family more than a house. Even if I can't afford another house, I believe that one day my children can have theirs. Case closed.
Baba me that I'm saying all this ehnn. I'm not the type that will drag for property, I love my peace more than anything. But I understand you quite well. It's not easy though

1 Like

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by mechanics(m): 12:28pm On Dec 05, 2019
He should take them to court, they are wicked and want to reap where did they didn't sow, they will surely have their own reward for their wickedness.
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Brightgem(f): 12:34pm On Dec 05, 2019
AceOfRed:

Lol. My dad is the first son and he built the house solely on his portion of his inheritance as first son. The ownership of the house is not in question. It's just that they do not want to leave, saying that they will take their time to build their own house, and that's only when they'll leave.
Hi, I beli this story will help many people learn. Siblings can be thr real enemies, sometimes you find a family in complete strangers.

But apparently, you have all grown up and left, and were able to live under the condition all these years, how did you manage?

The best bet to me, is selling the house and ur parents moving, a move no one must know about. Otherwise what is the fear for your parents back there, that they'll be harmed?

No need to force anything, other than do what's good for you and what will keep you away from danger.
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by ImaIma1(f): 12:34pm On Dec 05, 2019
sassysure:

Don't delve into what u had no idea how it works if u are not igbo. This is not a house in the city but a village house. Even if u are the mad o e in the family, I mean a real mad one who roams the street, u must have a roof in your father's house. The person who built it doesn't matter.
The last born might be doing better than the rest and decide to pull down the old house that have and build new one. The house automatically belongs to every body in that family. That is how it's done. If u don't want your poor brothers to stay with you, then build something for them. Simple.

But this house is not their father's house. It's their brother's house

2 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Brightgem(f): 12:41pm On Dec 05, 2019
baby124:

He’s supporting them because he knows that if they chase them out, they will face his own house. Lol. He’s the smartest of them all.
Haahahahha! Indeed the smartest of them all

2 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by lilyheaven: 12:43pm On Dec 05, 2019
SmileDance:
He should use the house as a collateral for a loan or better still sell the house grin
Best option, even if it's fake selling.
Everyone should vacate the house for the new buyer. They can move in after sometimes
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Brightgem(f): 12:44pm On Dec 05, 2019
NICOGRAVITY:
My honest advice to you is this.
1 Make peace first before involving the Police, lawyer or any other institutions.
2 Tomorrow is pregnant, nobody knows what it will give birth to. You might be in need that only your cousins can solve.
3 Ask your father to call a meeting with his siblings. Let him make peace with them. And if he can help them build or rent he should do so.
4 For your father to have given them rooms, means that the entire family used to be in harmony, peace, joy and happiness and they all wished your father well.
5 Go and find out the Genesis of the problem and resolve it from there.
6 Remember, it's just an ordinary house. Don't let it take anyone's life. People can do anything possible when under pressure and without alter.
7 Be the person that unites the family. Always speak PEACE. Don't ever speak derogatory to any party involved so you are not quoted tomorrow.
8 Ask your mum to love and keep peace with other wife's, their children and the family.
9 Prayer prayer prayer prayer prayer prayer prayer
10 PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE PEACE
This one doesn't know what is going going on. Watch the devil in you come even when you thought and believed yourself to be the most peace loving person
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Brightgem(f): 12:46pm On Dec 05, 2019
like1:
I have to say this again, the selfishness we brew these days in our Igbo families, I really don't get it. I am sure the problems between your father and the brothers arose because either your father or mother is trying to be Lord over them just because they live in your house and they resisted.

Your parents should learn to tolerate his brothers. As you said, they can't go and live in the bush, the so called ancestral land till they build theirs and you also know they are not capable to.

Imagine, what your father and his siblings are going through and you think later it will not be the same between you and your siblings. Let me tell you what will happen, if you guys succeed in pushing your uncles out. The next fight will start between you and your siblings over same house. I am telling you from experience, it is psychological. I has happened in many families I know, even mine.

Moreover, which relationship do you want to maintain with your cousins when through your parents you chased them away from the house.

This is the same problem that happened in my paternal family and now happening between my maternal uncles. People will never learn. The level of selfishness these days is really overwhelming. I don't get it.

My story;
If you like learn from it.

My uncle built an up-stair (big house) in the early 80's. Both families all live in the city, so we just come back to stay in the village house during Xmas and sometimes Easter. Within the few days in the village, their mum and mum will always quarrel. I mean sometimes even physical because both women were always at loggerheads with flimsy things. E.g one of my brothers (a kid then) 'pooed or peed' in the compound, my mum was cooking here and not there. So this quarrel has been there for years when we were kids till our late teenage years when it escalated. My Dad even though not buoyant, started to build a house but then they were not even patient enough for my Dad to near completion of the house before we were sent packing. My Dad had to sell a small property in the city to even roof the building. Then we moved. Of course the relationship dwindled, everybody started minding his or her business.

Now, in less than 7 years, we are better of. Completed my Dad's building, built another with complete finishing and live better and bigger. However their house remained uncompleted as it has been, no fence, not tiled, no paint and all that. Now, they all want a closer relationship but naturally it can't happen, the discord is there already. The news around the village now is that my cousins (now adults and married) are quarreling on who will occupy upstair of the house and who will stay down. Imagine.

Don't neglect people. Nobody is God. Everybody fit pick.
Shaaaaaaarrrrrraaaaappp!

2 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by LordKO(m): 12:47pm On Dec 05, 2019
ImaIma1:

Haba Lordko such behaviour should not be encouraged or indulged. I don't think he should leave his house for them because they are threatening him and being ungrateful. He should move out with his family and sell the house. When the owner comes, they can talk to him/her.

It's not their brother's job to provide shelter for them because he is richer. They have become settled there and become entitled.

It's not about encouraging or indulging their repulsive behavior, but deferring for the bond (blood) that holds them together. In a situation like this, decision to lose honorably isn't a sign of weakness but that of strength - it's all about balancing conscientiousness with altruism. Of course, it'll become a sign of weakness if he continually defers for them in similar circumstances. I wish he has the wherewithal to play the bigger person role in this regard. He's hands full with small-minded people in his siblings, so it behoves on him, as a bigger person, to perfect the art of relating safely with them without allowing them dominion over him.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s / Advice : I Care For My Wife But Love Another Woman / Woman To Divorce Husband Over Bride Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.