Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,647 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:19 PM

How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? (26966 Views)

I Mistakenly Impregnated My Troublesome Baby Mama / How I Sent My Troublesome First Wife Packing Peacefully / Please I Need Advice To Evict My Step Brother From My Family House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by midnighter(f): 2:37pm On Dec 05, 2019
urchcherry:
This the exact situation my dad got us into when we were small, my uncles even use to beat us and one day slapped my mum, to tell you how the house was a funji house of commotion , funny thing is my dad was the one that built the house and gave them one room each just like you narrated, my dad had to buy another land elsewhere immediately the boy's quarter was completed we rushed and packed in there till the main building was completed and till now the drama over there seems not to have an end but we are exempted sometimes any mess up there they come to my parents that is living far away to report the issues. I don't see those ur uncles as those that are ready to vacant if ur papa get the money he should forfeit there and build another for himself, those uncles can kill because of that so it's better he give them some distance.

But why are people like this, for goodness' sake?

Slap your mum?? Why? sad
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Yokgenero: 2:38pm On Dec 05, 2019
dominique:
The land that he built on, is it a family land or a personal land? If it's the former, then we have an idea why your uncles and his family feel they have claims to the property. I'm afraid your dad waited too long before deciding to evict them, he should have done that when they were newly married. By now everybody would have been in their own space. Now they're fully rooted there with their families, it will be very hard to evict them. Your house is more or less a family house now

Your opening sentence is the most important...it must be answered by the OP before any other advice. My advice to we young people in the house is to never be cajoled into building on free family land because the relationship is good now. Take the pain of procuring your own land far away from family joint land and build there. Please do not say you were not told.

3 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by sleekman(m): 2:39pm On Dec 05, 2019
I'll advice that your dad buys a half plot or quater plot if possible. Build 2 nos mini flats. Call for a meeting with the ummuna, have a written agreement and hand them the keys and documents after they've moved out. Give them a week to move their things out. If they don't agree then bring out the guns. It's all out war. Approach the state high court with a lawyer and have no mercy whatsoever. Even when they later turn around to beg, no mercy. Cut them off. They are devil's.
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by NICOGRAVITY: 2:52pm On Dec 05, 2019
Brightgem:
This one doesn't know what is going going on. Watch the devil in you come even when you thought and believed yourself to be the most peace loving person

I don't have devil in me.
I'm a BORN AGAIN CHILD OF GOD.
I chose my battles wisely.
I'm very wise and full of wisdom.
House that you will eventually die and leave behind.
Peace is very important.
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by sholay2011(m): 2:55pm On Dec 05, 2019
jaymichael:
There is a good reason I have a volatile temper, it is for situations like this. I haven't ever hidden the fact that I am not a nice person. I am a practical person who tries to balance my conscience with my ambition as to my best abilities. Good luck to your dad for being nice.
There is never a good reason to have a volatile temper bro.

@ OP...Your dad should involve the police or kuku sell the house. Entitled siblings.
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by InvertedHammer: 3:05pm On Dec 05, 2019
AceOfRed:
Please I need legal or customary advice from experienced people.

My dad built a house in the early 80s; a 5 bedroom bungalow, that's before he got married. As at the time he completed the building, he was about to get married, while his 2 brothers were still single then. Because my dad was not based in my town, he gave all his 2 brothers 1 room each to stay in, as they were bachelors. My family occupies 3 rooms ensuite, while my uncles occupy the other two rooms, with a detached kitchen and toilet.

As time went on, they later got married, but still kept living in the single rooms. Now they have families, with my oldest cousin being in his 20s.

The problem is that the relationship between my dad and his brothers has deteriorated terribly over the past years to the extent that my uncle's and their wives now threaten my parents with murder and diabolical acts. In fact, I can't put on text the many issues that have arose between my parents and my uncles.

Now, my dad wants them to vacate his house but they bluntly refused saying that they will live there for as long as they wish. As the first son, he has divided their ancestral lands amongst them, but they have refused to put up there.

Their continued stay in that house has become a huge source of worry and headache to my parents. There is no day that one issue or the other doesn't come up.

My dad has reported them severally to the 'umunna', but this hasn't yielded any benefit. As members of the umunna are people of questionable judgement. They keep telling my dad to wait till my uncle's build their own house, but they are not even interested in building anything, as they have made it clear that they will live with my parents, just to be monitoring them.
/
Let me guess.

They probably allege that your dad used their destinies and that's why they cannot build their own houses.

Your dad is suffering the plight of most good people.
/
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by sorepco(m): 3:23pm On Dec 05, 2019
In the village? You well so?
See op. It is really a simple matter as such. If the land your dad built on is the OBI i.e where their dad or your granddad use to stay then your dad has no right to kick them out so long ad they have not built theirs. You are lucky your dad is the 1st if it were one of his brothers then that brother has the right to kick your dad out of the house since the 1st child takes the OBI.
If its not the village then your dad can get lawyers or police involved.

Ladylite:

Wow. Consider bringing police or lawyers into it.
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Brightgem(f): 3:23pm On Dec 05, 2019
NICOGRAVITY:

I don't have devil in me.
I'm a BORN AGAIN CHILD OF GOD.
I chose my battles wisely.
I'm very wise and full of wisdom.
House that you will eventually die and leave behind.
Peace is very important.
Not about being born again sir, I respect your beliefs. However, speak carefully about situations you have not thoroughly experienced yourself.
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by sokkatua: 3:28pm On Dec 05, 2019
Sometimes you can not be too nice to some people ,your father need to involve the police or a lawyer.You have to act fast before something bad happens
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by babyfaceafrica: 3:46pm On Dec 05, 2019
Okikaneseokwu:
As long as it's a village house,don't expect the umunna to side ur father in evicting them. The normal anthem will always be "they will leave when they build their own houses or u build one for them" Especially if the said building is in the family land.

My advice is to take it easy with them and hand everything over to God. Evicting them forcefully from that house is a war that won't end even in the fourth generation coming.

Take solace in the fact that u will make it big in life,by then u build a house for them no matter how small, by then any action ur family takes in evicting them will be justified.

So if they don't build a house till their old age,na there they will die..abi?..that is why some people don't build house in village...so time for issues
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by NICOGRAVITY: 4:23pm On Dec 05, 2019
Brightgem:
Not I'm an elderly man about being born again sir, I respect your beliefs. However, speak carefully about situations you have not thoroughly experienced yourself.

Sir, I'm an elderly man.
I'm facing the same situation at present.
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by ImaIma1(f): 4:25pm On Dec 05, 2019
LordKO:

It's not about encouraging or indulging their repulsive behavior, but deferring for the bond (blood) that holds them together. In a situation like this, decision to lose honorably isn't a sign of weakness but that of strength - it's all about balancing conscientiousness with altruism. Of course, it'll become a sign of weakness if he continually defers for them in similar circumstances. I wish he has the wherewithal to play the bigger person role in this regard. He's hands full with small-minded people in his siblings, so it behoves on him, as a bigger person, to perfect the art of relating safely with them without allowing them dominion over him.

I understand your point. Though I know in some cases where that bond becomes a curse where a sibling doesn't act in the interest of the others. I wouldn't want to go into details.

The decision is still left to the op's father. If he decides to sell the house and move on, he has tried for them. And if he wants to leave the house for them, all well and good.
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Legendguru: 4:30pm On Dec 05, 2019
How
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by shadeyinka(m): 4:32pm On Dec 05, 2019
AceOfRed:

They keep telling my dad to wait till my uncle's build their own house, but they are not even interested in building anything, as they have made it clear that they will live with my parents, just to be monitoring them.
In exactly 6months your parents can solve the problem. Since he built the house, he has the documents of the house.

1. Let your parents move out of the house to a rented apartment
2. Let your father arrange with a trusted lawyer and a friend who will act as if they have bought the house
3. The new landlord should serve an ejection notice to the occupants
4. After ejecting the parasite tenant, your parent should repaint the house and occupy all the five rooms

Very simple, but it will cost them some money and at least 6months of their time.

They can only grumble after they discover that they've been scammed but, then it's too late.

Otherwise,
He should look for a half plot of land, build 2 and a half rooms, call the elders to ask his brothers to move. If they won't, back to the first option

1 Like

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by midnighter(f): 4:46pm On Dec 05, 2019
sassysure:

Who will buy the house?
Who will go to another man's ancestral land( land that belongs to the whole family by the way) and buy house without the consent of all members of the family?
All these people that don't go to their villages, always dishing out advice.
U don't sell family house. Maybe u do it in your culture and tribe but the tribe the poster came from don't do that.
Can u listen to yourself. If u don't know how a particular tribe practice their custom,don't choke mouth.

Lol. I was just wondering what on earth all these people were talking about.

In some families that are disorganised, parcels of land are sold off without everybodys consent. But I don't think house can come into it.

Who would feel comfortable living in such a house, not even in outside land somewhere but in the middle of somebody's compound? Ha!

Also calling police for your family in Igboland is a very crazy idea, except somebody can just explain it to me.

Chei aru ga-eme o! Well she will select advice from here sha
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Nobody: 4:52pm On Dec 05, 2019
midnighter:

Lol. I was just wondering what on earth all these people were talking about.

In some families that are disorganised, parcels of land are sold off without everybodys consent. But I don't think house can come into it.

Who would feel comfortable living in such a house, not even outside somewhere but in the middle of somebody's compound? Ha!

Also calling police for your family in Igboland is a very crazy idea, except somebody can just explain it to me

Chei aru ga-eme o
Have u forgotten most people here don't know their villages? cheesy
Some do call police for some trivial matters.
One crazy man usually call police for all his children cheesy
Both genders. That man was trouble personified.
At a point police stopped coming cheesy
He can speak long grammar like Patrick cheesy
Bad market for his girls. Luckily, the first daughter got a very good job and climbed there by helping the rest but all of them married from far cheesy
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by tommy589(m): 5:00pm On Dec 05, 2019
AceOfRed:

My dad built a house in the early 80s; a 5 bedroom bungalow, that's before he got married. As at the time he completed the building, he was about to get married, while his 2 brothers were still single then. Because my dad was not based in my town, he gave all his 2 brothers 1 room each to stay in, as they were bachelors. My family occupies 3 rooms ensuite, while my uncles occupy the other two rooms, with a detached kitchen and toilet.

As time went on, they later got married, but still kept living in the single rooms. Now they have families, with my oldest cousin being in his 20s.

The problem is that the relationship between my dad and his brothers has deteriorated terribly over the past years to the extent that my uncle's and their wives now threaten my parents with murder and diabolical acts. In fact, I can't put on text the many issues that have arose between my parents and my uncles.

Now, my dad wants them to vacate his house but they bluntly refused saying that they will live there for as long as they wish. As the first son, he has divided their ancestral lands amongst them, but they have refused to put up there.

Their continued stay in that house has become a huge source of worry and headache to my parents. There is no day that one issue or the other doesn't come up.

My dad has reported them severally to the 'umunna', but this hasn't yielded any benefit. As members of the umunna are people of questionable judgement. They keep telling my dad to wait till my uncle's build their own house, but they are not even interested in building anything, as they have made it clear that they will live with my parents, just to be monitoring them.

The only solution left since your dad is not ready to rupture the familial bond By inviting outsiders is for your dad to sell the property when he is still alive. Failure to do so now will be catastrophic.
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by midnighter(f): 5:04pm On Dec 05, 2019
sassysure:

Have u forgotten most people here don't know their villages? cheesy
Some do call police for some trivial matters.
One crazy man usually call police for all his children cheesy
Both genders. That man was trouble personified.
At a point police stopped coming cheesy
He can speak long grammar like Patrick cheesy
Bad market for his girls. Luckily, the first daughter got a very good job and climbed there by helping the rest but all of them married from far cheesy

Lol the comments here are really something. Who are you selling the place to?

At least that example you gave the man is using police for his own children. Brother using police against brother? In the village for that matter. If it will work she can try it but I have never heard such a thing before. I can't believe police would even agree to go inside there

Their best bet is to start grabbing village gist and familiarising with some of those umunna so that they will appeal to those crazy uncles on their behalf. That's after building some one-room for them elsewhere to pack out to.

They have already threatened to go diabolical so they have to be careful. This is more of a village politics issue or court case...that's why they have to campaign to for the minds of the umunna to act in their favour
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by jaymichael(m): 5:21pm On Dec 05, 2019
sholay2011:

There is never a good reason to have a volatile temper bro.

@ OP...Your dad should involve the police or kuku sell the house. Entitled siblings.
You are right sha.I realize I can't change my nature but I am developing means to have control over my temper and to channel my emotions wisely and correctly.

1 Like

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Nobody: 5:32pm On Dec 05, 2019
midnighter:

Lol the comments here are really something. Who are you selling the place to?

At least that example you gave the man is using police for his own children. Brother using police against brother? In the village for that matter. If it will work she can try it but I have never heard such a thing before. I can't believe police would even agree to go inside there

Their best bet is to start grabbing village gist and familiarising with some of those umunna so that they will appeal to those crazy uncles on their behalf. That's after building some one-room for them elsewhere to pack out to.

They have already threatened to go diabolical so they have to be careful. This is more of a village politics issue or court case...that's why they have to campaign to for the minds of the umunna to act in their favour
That was why I was advocating for peace. Even if it will make u the weak one, in this type of matter,always opt for peace.
Hmm
Families have been wiped away, generational hatred, envy and malice being the order of the day if u don't handle things like this with care. An igbo man's weakest point is family land. They should apply sense. I'm even begging.
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by inquisitiv: 5:32pm On Dec 05, 2019
OP where are you from? Which state?

I'm Igbo and I have seen my fair share of family fights and as such I do not allow over familiarity with extended family. It ALWAYS backfires. ALWAYS.

Your uncles are entitled and believe me they have no iota of respect for your mother, not even your father. There is a particular state in Igbo land where this nonsense is rampant and you see them claiming that our brother's thing is our thing.

I am sure they are running that house down. How many taps have they damaged and how many pipes have they broken? What of the windows and doors? Have they ever contributed one kobe to fix one thing? The answer is NO! Laziness is the elder brother of poverty and entitlement is the elder sister of poverty. Poor people are very very entitled especially when they see their brother doing well.

It's a village house so all those loan advice will not work and the police thing will just get messy.

Now, breathe deep and think, apart from the emotional and sentimental attachment to that old house, what is it worth to you in financial value? Not worth much because I know the architecture of houses built in the 80s and how archaic they are now.

Forget the house, let your dad clear his naive mistakes. Build your own house and move your mum and DO NOT repeat your father's mistake.

If your dad is wise and man enough, as an Igbo man he knows what to do. An elder is not taught the dance of the forest by a child. It is your father's fight and not your fight. You are anguy and feel like they are taking advantage of his good nature right? It's him and not you. Just watch and learn.

Most importantly be careful of those your cousins. Only God knows what their parents have been feeding them all these years about your family.

All this my advice is if there is not more details than what you just disclosed. Cheers

5 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by midnighter(f): 5:52pm On Dec 05, 2019
sassysure:

That was why I was advocating for peace. Even if it will make u the weak one, in this type of matter,always opt for peace.
Hmm
Families have been wiped away, generational hatred, envy and malice being the order of the day if u don't handle things like this with care. An igbo man's weakest point is family land. They should apply sense. I'm even begging.

Peace and wisdom, not that you're so stupid not to throw the useless people out of your property but so that nobody will be able to give a bad testimony about you tomorrow.

As long as he builds something for them somewhere else, they will have to go. Or OP builds another place and leaves it for them.

No talk of police, lawyer or that stuff because anything like that they will just go about the whole village wailing that their wicked brother wants to kill all of them.

Then the fathers reputation will be tainted Plus those cousins will be beefing her
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by addictiv(m): 5:54pm On Dec 05, 2019
He arrange with a friend none of them knows... He sells the house to his friend (or pretends to) and gives them a date to all move out... He relocates to another city shortly.... After everyone has moved out, the friend sells the house back to him...
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by simplepee(f): 6:02pm On Dec 05, 2019
Ladylite:

There is another way tho.... If you are really desperate... Pay some boys from a different area to rob them.... And they will MOVE
Are you okay?
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Marpol: 6:51pm On Dec 05, 2019
Tell your dad to start renovation next year rainy season. Let him pull the roof of the house and let's see if they will not move out.
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by odimbannamdi(m): 9:22pm On Dec 05, 2019
SmileDance:
He should use the house as a collateral for a loan or better still sell the house grin

Best advise
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by themanderon: 11:29pm On Dec 05, 2019
You have to be careful as land and house issues have sent many to the great beyond.
You see my family is going through the same issues where my grandfather's younger brothers are fighting us over the land belonging to my grandfather after settling them with their own land which they sold twice.
The only way is to commit all into Gods hands cos you will surely need his protection from many spiritual darts that will be thrown your family's way and also seek legal means of settlement.
These matters are usually not easy to settle except God intervenes. These issue has lasted for almost 3 generations now in my family and we have been on it for almost 50yrs now.
The umunna will be utterly useless as they will not really say the truth as they see it but will collect money and will not say things as it is.

NB: My mothers uncle and the wife died in 2016 and 2018 respectively because of an issue just like this. He built a house on his own land and housed his brothers for close to 26yrs. One even went ahead and sold his own land and was still living with this uncle. He had to issue a quit notice to them but it became war and they swore that my uncle and his wife will not live in that mighty building he built with his own sweat. Sadly it came to be as my uncle and his wife who where in good health suddenly took ill and no single diagnosis was made by the doctors till he died and the wife suffered the same thing and died last year. That's why I usually laugh at people that say there is no such thing as black magic.
The heart of men has become so evil in this end times so your family should thread carefully and ask God to battle for you.

2 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by eenai(m): 11:36pm On Dec 05, 2019
The heart of men is evil and desperately wicked. God forbids, If any thing should happens to your father today you, your siblings and monther will become homeless. Take it or leave it. Your father should tell your uncle's that he want to use the apartments for a personal use and get them to quit the building. If he plays with it. He will loose the entire building to his brothers and his immediate family will suffer homelessness.
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by pureconscience: 11:54pm On Dec 05, 2019
your father is now their father. maybe your grand father ask him to play his role when his gone. your uncles cant do any shit.

We have advised him to involve both, but he is reluctant, he will rather call never-ending meetings that never yield any result . My dad is all these 'peace loving' kind of people. There is nothing that these people have not done in his own house.[/quote]
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by madridguy(m): 3:49am On Dec 06, 2019
This is serious.

AceOfRed:

Funnily enough, I and my cousims do not have a relationship, absolutely none. But I and my siblings respect their parents and have never insulted them. But these my cousins are in cahoot with their parents to wreak havoc in the house.

My parents live alone with a househelp as none of my siblings is at home. So we always feel they are endangered.

About making peace, bros it is impossible now, believe me. I believe they can only tolerate each other when they begin to live apart.
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by mabea: 6:15am On Dec 06, 2019
A one sided story
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by NoToPile: 8:15am On Dec 06, 2019
Na wa oo.

I just know land and house dispute never really ends well.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s / Advice : I Care For My Wife But Love Another Woman / Woman To Divorce Husband Over Bride Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.