Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,166 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:23 AM

Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? (25902 Views)

London Court Jails Nigerian Three Years For Flogging Son / Ogidi Youths Flog Man After He Was Filmed Flogging, Boxing, And Kicking His Mom / Adekunle Okunuga Suspended As A Doctor In 2015 For Flogging Son In UK Reinstated (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by themaestro08(m): 8:40pm On Dec 30, 2019
Equity15 post=85357795[s:
[/s]]yes I believe flogging is a very effective way of discipline. it was so during the days of our fathers and mothers and they grew up to behave well. but this sets of kids will be very spoilt cos of lack of discipline[s][/s]

How about someone who's parent never laid a hand on him ( discipline him through engaging in discussions with him and other smart methods) and he later turned out to be a Great man in life?

Flogging is terrible parenting, in fact it should be an offence just like an assault.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by DenreleDave(m): 8:40pm On Dec 30, 2019
GraGra247:
I DON'T SUPPORT FLOGGING CHILDREN OR ANYONE AT ALL.

IT SHOULD BE COMPLETELY ABOLISHED.

AFRICAN PARENTS EXTREMELY ABUSE IT A LOT.

THERE ARE MANY OTHER PROPER WAYS TO DISCIPLINE A CHILD WITHOUT FLOGGING.

Oya what' other way oo, didn't ur parent flogged u to instill sense in ur head

What other way Pls

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by michaelwilli(m): 8:40pm On Dec 30, 2019
socialmediaman:

A proverb you probably misunderstood? In those days, the rod was used for guiding sheep in the right direction, not flogging them. It literally means “if you do not guide the child, you spoil the child. Sometimes you need history lessons to understand the context of the Bible.
You obviously didn't read verse 13

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Nobody: 8:40pm On Dec 30, 2019
Trutherme:

I am writing about my experience. Share yours and stop mentioning me.
Stop misleading people.
The cane used on u didn't make u a good child.
It didn't mould you one bit.
Stop supporting bad things.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by selfemployed(m): 8:41pm On Dec 30, 2019
enemyofprogress:
the kind of childrens burned during the time of Jesus are not the kind parents are burning today, most of the childrens we are burning now are rascals

Where did the kids inherit the gene of rascality if not from the parents.

The parents should first submit themselves for punishment for passing on the gene of rascality to their children.

Its a serious offense.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by DenreleDave(m): 8:41pm On Dec 30, 2019
Then you prefer punishment like monkey style, up and down and the rest Abi

Simplyleo:
Though I don't know a better alternative, I won't accept flogging of my child in school.

Education professionals should come up with a better alternative. undecided
[s]
Simplyleo:
Though I don't know a better alternative, I won't accept flogging of my child in school.

[/s]
Simplyleo:

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Nobody: 8:43pm On Dec 30, 2019
GraGra247:

Go to schools especially in Lagos State and see what not flogging have caused.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by DenreleDave(m): 8:43pm On Dec 30, 2019
socialmediaman:

A proverb you probably misunderstood? In those days, the rod was used for guiding sheep in the right direction, not flogging them. It literally means “if you do not guide the child, you spoil the child. Sometimes you need history lessons to understand the context of the Bible.

U r beautifully and accurately wrong sir sir.. Sheep are not human.. Moreover sheeps are gentle animals.. Can u say the same thing for a goat, shey no be beat them dey beat goat wey e no go still hear word

Some children are like sheep while others are like goat
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by trutht828: 8:43pm On Dec 30, 2019
GraGra247:

In other words, you want the baby to be thrown away with the bath water, right?
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Trutherme: 8:44pm On Dec 30, 2019
sassysure:

Stop misleading people.

And you should shut up. If you are still pained about what your parents did to you, that's your problem, loser.
Mine turn out good for me and I can't blame anyone for anything. Move on because it looks like you are still pained.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by themaestro08(m): 8:45pm On Dec 30, 2019
safarigirl:
I've learnt that there is really no hard and fast rule with children

I recommend finding the perfect disciplinary method depending on the child. Some kids are receptive to scolding and some others require flogging. Find the disciplinary method perfect for the child, notice what works best for each child, just because they are all kids does not mean the same thing will work across board

So, yeah, depending on the kid, caning could work with some, others just a few words and for a select few, a combination of both. It's like people who prefer injection to pills and vice versa
Using your logic some people should be assaulted if they commit an offence, right?

Flogging, slapping, canning or any form of corporal punishment is according to pediatrics not only dangerous and traumatic but also has long term effects to the poor child. cry cry cry
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Beautyaddy: 8:45pm On Dec 30, 2019
alcuin:

Sweetheart, if not for good dose of flogging I will not be where I am today.

When I remember those days, I now realize how stupid I was then.

There are many adults today that don't have sense. Talk less of children.

So the many adults today(which I am sure are most of the people we have governing Nigeria) don't have sense... so can fogging them now make them have sense

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by GraGra247(m): 8:45pm On Dec 30, 2019
ctleurocollege:

What is wrong with flogging? weak niga

Brain dead m0ron please go to school and study psychology. Borrow some sense if you have none.

Let that at least easily teach you that I'm not weak and you don't get to insult anyone online because you're behind a keyboard.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by DenreleDave(m): 8:46pm On Dec 30, 2019
Kizzygentle:
Never!!!.
I repeat never!!!

The best form of discipline is by verbal communication.
If d child does something bad call him/her and sit him/her down and softly tell d child that what he/she did is very wrong and can cause damage.
U could use a statement that sounds scary to scare d child. And then u pet d child after d correction. Trust me it works better than flogging.
But such method is often used by d rich only unfortunately.

See them, na mouth u get.. Na ur type dey beat wife join children.. Ena conman be forming super dad here.... Swerve jare

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Mypeople2(m): 8:46pm On Dec 30, 2019
twhy111:
I can't swear that I'm not going to flog my child in the future, but definitely not to the point of inflicting injuries on he/she.

But I'm quick to dash out slap ooo!
My siblings can relate
Guy slapping is worst than flogging .It is better to flog than to slap .Before you slap your wife you won't know .Flog him/her on the palm or buttocks. No slapping or flogging on the body
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Beautyaddy: 8:47pm On Dec 30, 2019
GraGra247:

Brain dead slowpoke please go to school and study psychology. Borrow some sense if you have none.

Let that at least easily teach you that I'm not weak and you don't get to insult anyone online because you're behind a keyboard.

Lol!,.Does Nigerian schools even teach real Psychology
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by DenreleDave(m): 8:47pm On Dec 30, 2019
Kabir5643:
With the way the world is evolving. I think flogging should go on

My opinion

Correct one my nigga.. Don't be like this one called
Kizzygentle

Even our Instagram babe showing naked boobs online shud be flogged to instill sense in their head

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Trutherme: 8:48pm On Dec 30, 2019
sassysure:

Stop misleading people.

"It didn't mould you one bit" If you are a block that's molded, that's your problem, not mine.
Our ways are our ways, deal with it or remain a loser that you are and will always be. You can't take away discipline in raising kids.

4 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by lebron7(m): 8:49pm On Dec 30, 2019
tunjiajayi:
It worked for me, working for my children.
So Id recommend it.
My first born took to sucking his lip in sleep at about age 6.
Imagine that.
What I did?
I usually get home at about 10 pm work days then he d be at sleep sucking away until I started waking him up, showing him a photo of him sucking while sleeping, then spank him, then a cold shower, yes!

That stopped it alright in 5 tries.

Never beat your child when angry that's a no no
Make the spanking non sentimental.
U think you are normal, but u are not
That is sick and wicked
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by themaestro08(m): 8:49pm On Dec 30, 2019
Odunolumide:
There is this girl in my class that I don't beat because once I threaten to beat her she behaves well. In other case ,most of the pupils are very naughty and they dare you by their actions .
I am thinking of making a deal with my pupils next term that I won't beat them in exchange for something else but I hope it works.
I also plan on using a no-cane sign in my class.
Bro it seems we are on the same boat.

Also a teacher, sometimes this kids can annoy the hell out of you...

Also hope I can keep my cool in the midst of Great annoyance because kids ehn...
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by GraGra247(m): 8:49pm On Dec 30, 2019
profolaolu:
Go to schools especially in Lagos State and see what not flogging have caused.

Not flogging did not cause anything.

Schools where flogging prevails have far more problems, produced hardened criminals, cultists and rebellious children nevertheless.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Mypeople2(m): 8:51pm On Dec 30, 2019
Kizzygentle:
Never!!!.
I repeat never!!!

The best form of discipline is by verbal communication.
If d child does something bad call him/her and sit him/her down and softly tell d child that what he/she did is very wrong and can cause damage.
U could use a statement that sounds scary to scare d child. And then u pet d child after d correction. Trust me it works better than flogging.
But such method is often used by d rich only unfortunately.
See this one ooo .You never see stubbornness... You go learn .Na abroad you dey stay .Come Naija , your eyes go clear .See wetin you dey yan o..The child with put sand in your eyes to remove those scales in your eyes ...you never see anything

4 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Nobody: 8:51pm On Dec 30, 2019
I see Pple reasoning in extremes in this simple topic... Discipline is not abuse . its what you do 4 the child... I sometimes think I would have had more control in my lyf if I had been susceptible to my parents attempts to discipline me... Instead I had to be the precocious sensitive and intuitive 1 among my 5 elder siblings.. I still remember the day My dad tried to cane me 4 about 4hrs till all my neighbors came to plead with him to leave me alone... What am I sayin... Growing up gives u a vantage point to see tru all ur initial bullshit and if u can't see that most times it hurt ur parents more to cane u than urself then u still haven't really reached dat dependancy level of maturity in life

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by safarigirl(f): 8:51pm On Dec 30, 2019
themaestro08:
Using your logic some people should be assaulted if they commit an offence, right?

Flogging, slapping, canning or any form of corporal punishment is according to pediatrics not only dangerous and traumatic but also has long term effects to the poor child. cry cry cry

Assault is rather harsh a term.

I bet there are paediatrics who beat their kids. Many people sell products they don't use; comedians spread joy, but many of them are depressed, do what works for you, not what someone recommends based on a purported experiment with a tiny scope of people.

I wonder how many children and in which regions they must have done these tests to come to such conclusion.

I don't need any scientist to tell me what I see for myself. I see children, and I see how they react to flogging or scolding. I know which has lasting effects on which kids, I don't need anyone to tell me what I know and have established with my own years of experience

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Taywon: 8:51pm On Dec 30, 2019
This generation is losing it
Thats why we jave alot of defiant in the society compared to the past.....

Flogging is a very effective way to correct a child after many caution has been given....

Dear parents, flog that child if he/she fails to take caution...

3 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by pweeryambre: 8:53pm On Dec 30, 2019
trutht828:

In other words, you want the baby to be thrown away with the bath water, right?
how does it mean that he wants a baby to be thrown out with bath water when he also said this "THERE ARE MANY OTHER PROPER WAYS TO
DISCIPLINE A CHILD WITHOUT FLOGGING"

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by alcuin(m): 8:53pm On Dec 30, 2019
Beautyaddy:

So the many adults today(which I am sure are most of the people we have governing Nigeria) don't have sense... so can fogging them now make them have sense

Of course, you can't go around flogging adults.

But children in their formative ages need to learn early enough that there are punitive measures for wrong behaviour. And these punitive measures do not exclude getting their asses severely whooped.

That's the point.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Beautyaddy: 8:53pm On Dec 30, 2019
lebron7:

U think you are normal, but u are not
That is sick and wicked

And that child will also follow the same trend of being a sick and wicked parent when she/he becomes an adult.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by pyro62(m): 8:53pm On Dec 30, 2019
MrBrownJay1:
1st and foremost you should NEVER lay hand on an adult person doing their job....EVER! if you are not happy with the nanny then fire her and get another one that fits your criteria. if you employ children as nanny, then blame yourself for expecting a child to do an adult job.

2nd.. corporal punishment is necessary to a certain extent. there is a huge difference between "discipline a child" and ABUSE/TORTURE. if your child does NOT respond to corporal punishments then find other means to educate that demon child. beating that child harder is not gonna work here. take away privileges, no phones/pad, no TV, no game console, no outing, no friends over, no social media etc. we are in a different time and what worked 30yrs ago is outdated and parents need to adapt to the era we live in.

today a child will be more hurt by not having their phones than corporal punishment

You took the words out of my mouth. Absolutely so

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Stillthebest: 8:53pm On Dec 30, 2019
kiss

Aya omode no were di si, egba ni won fi'nle Jade
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Awoo88: 8:55pm On Dec 30, 2019
It is effective!!! Just don't over do it. The problem with pain it that it get to some Level it defeat itself. We human we do anything to avoid pain than we will do to gain pleasure.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Dec 30, 2019
eduman365:
This might sound old school, but those countries where they refuse to discipline their children are the same countries with high rate of homosexuality and lack of respect for their parents...

If you like don't beat your children when they are wrong. For me I'm following what the bible teaches about discipline; spare the rod, spoil the child.
homosexuality sha entered the conversation from no where!!!! Lmao. So you want to beat a gay child till he turns straight ABI? Just negodu. Upon the beating in Nigeria, just see how your country is filled with criminals and lawlessness.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Woman Tells Husband To Pay Before Breastfeeding Their Baby / What Are The Things People Without Home Training Do In Another Person's House ?? / Uncle In-law Is Becoming Unbearable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.