Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,120 members, 7,811,150 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:00 AM

Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion (18215 Views)

Lets Wake Up...!!! Oh Nigerian Youth / TINUBU Hijacks NASS Positions; Oyegun, Others Kick- The Capital.ng / Oba Obateru Akinruntan Hijacks Election Materials In Ondo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by ayusman16(m): 1:16pm On Jan 02, 2011
I laff when people say Islam is a religion of peace. Just imagine if it was mosque that got bombed or Muslims killed? Hell would have been let loose. Despite what the Islam and its followers perpetrated against Christians during Xmas and New Year, we were asked to pray for peace in 2day's services. No Christian will take up arms and kill fellow humans. May God forgive those who raise their hands against Christian. God will fight for us.
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by GAR3TH(m): 1:30pm On Jan 02, 2011
well not to denounce anything but Christians themselves do the exact samething and have "extremist text" in the Bible. just say,
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by seyibrown(f): 2:22pm On Jan 02, 2011
I am surprised that some people are posting on what Xtians have done in the past  when the matter at hand is what is HAPPENING TODAY!  angry This topic is not about Xtians but about ENCOURAGING PEACEFUL MUSLIMS TO DISCOURAGE EXTREMIST MUSLIMS WHOSE ACTIONS CAUSE THE WORLD TO LABEL ISLAM VIOLENT TO DESIST FROM BARBARIC ACTS! It is not about XTIAN vs ISLAM; It is PEACEFUL MUSLIMS vs EXTREMIST MUSLIMS so that the world can truly see the PEACEFUL ISLAM that is only currently being mouthed and not acted! It is the duty of peaceful muslims to STOP radicalists muslims from HARMING NON-MUSLIMS and DRAGGING ISLAM IN THE MUD! If PEACEFUL MUSLIMS do not put a rein on EXTREMIST MUSLIMS, NON-MUSLIMS will have to sort Islam out so that we can have some of this VERY ELUSIVE PEACE we only hear about and never see! EXTREMIST MUSLIMS ARE PUSHING NON-MUSLIMS TO THE WALL!
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by naijangel7(f): 2:51pm On Jan 02, 2011
GAR3TH:

well not to denounce anything but Christians themselves do the exact samething and have "extremist text" in the Bible. just say,

For the one millionth time on this thread, 99.9% of Christians put the "extremist text" in historical and contextual perspective. What sort of Christian runs out to buy a sword today because Jesus mentioned a sword 2,000 years ago?

Azuka.O:

I think the Yorubas are the most tolerant as regards religion in the whole world. I stand corrected if anyone has any record of any other people who feel at home with the man a Muslim, wife Christian, 1st son Muslim, 2nd son Cele, 3rd son agnostic, daughter Christ Embassy, and yet they all live in peace and celebrate all their festivals together. I have never seen it in any other ethnic group in the world.

Secondly, Yorubas are the most rugged, consistent human rights fighters in Nigeria - Tai, Gani, Falana, Fela, Beko, etc.

Therefore, the Yoruba Muslims should as a matter of urgency lead a campaign against religious terrorism across the nation - organize a million-man march of only Muslims in Lagos, Ibadan, Akure etc to condemn in strong terms all acts of terrorism by fellow Muslims under the guise of Islam. The Hausa Muslims should also organize such marches and rallies in the North. This will send a message to the terrorists that even their Muslim brothers and sisters are against them.

No sacrifice is too much to fight this religious extremism. Violence begets violence.

Very smart idea. However, the northern muslims largely believe that they are the only true muslims.
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by Nobody: 3:13pm On Jan 02, 2011
^
'northern muslims largely believe that they are the only true muslims' because they are. And that is why they are violent.
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by Sweetnecta: 4:33pm On Jan 02, 2011
@Engineerd: « #164 on: Today at 12:19:52 AM »
[Quote]@Sweetnecta,
Renounce your religion and start using your brain! What is your definition of civility Dumbass, by the way, i think my comment is a universal truth. If you read it properly, i said IFF (which is conditional), cause those are the claims made by the "extremist" muslims, whateva that is! So i still stand by my words, IFF the the quaran preaches violence again unbelievers, then your leader mohammed is an animal and a MAD man! Trust me, i am not saying this as a christian, i would exchange words with you, but we are all seating behind the comfort of the WWW. so anyone can say anything, but i caution you, choose your words wisely, its not a threat! i guarantee you that.[/Quote]And you are right with the second bold, which is the reason the first one could come out. After all in Onisha Market, there must be some respect for elders. Learn it. Worse is that you continue to insult a man who could have restructured the difficulties of Nigeria by one singe speech, it not by one single sentence that "all mankind is a brotherhood, children of Adam. So take care of one another".
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by Sweetnecta: 4:41pm On Jan 02, 2011
@Ayusman16: « #192 on: Today at 01:16:28 PM »
[Quote]I laff when people say Islam is a religion of peace. Just imagine if it was mosque that got bombed or Muslims killed? Hell would have been let loose. Despite what the Islam and its followers perpetrated against Christians during Xmas and New Year, we were asked to pray for peace in 2day's services. No Christian will take up arms and kill fellow humans. May God forgive those who raise their hands against Christian. God will fight for us.
[/Quote]Barbari Mosque was demolished, in India. The nature of man is to do evil. Most of the wars against Islam or Muslims in the last few decades always begin in the month of Ramadhan. My caution is to the muslims.

The Northern Muslim man started this thread, inviting "all Muslims", most people began to tribe separate the Muslims. If the poster calls for Islamic unity, whats so wrong about it? Is that not the beginning of a new dawn?Imagine if we have 50 Million Nigerian muslims with his mind set. What a difference it will make. Imagine that!
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by Amalaaba: 5:40pm On Jan 02, 2011
OKUNOBA

CAVEAT: I DONT AGREE WITH MAIMING AND KILLING AS A WAY TO SOLVE DISPUTES BY ANY BODY, Either Ossisikanku, ND, Jewish, Hindu, Islamic or Christian Terrorist. I CONDEM ALL OF THEM WITHOUT RESERVATION.

Please the Muslim haters on this blog try to be honest and fair in your logic and condemnation of Muslims. What we are saying is: Employ the same standards in judging the actions of all religions.

Mr Okunoba, you sound to me like a convert from Islam who tells his fellow Christians halve truth about Islam, For example, you never quoted any verse of the Quran or Hadith to justify your affirmation that Islam is violent by nature: That is not fair and shows the trait of an extremist!

Bush and Blair are Christians who said they had convictions from God that they needed to fight devils; in the process, they have killed over 1million Iraqis and are responsible for over 4 million exiled Iraqis, This is genocide and your failure to associate this action as Christians and failure to condemn it is unfair and support for EXTREMISM.
If Ahmadinaja had made such statement, he would have been called ISLAMIST; so let us call Blair and Bush CHRISTAINIST or better still, Christian Terrorist!

Apart from the Italian example already given, the current Party in government in Germany today is CHRISTIAN DEMOCRATIC PARTY. Sierra Leone, Congo, Liberia, Rewanda and so many of such places where people were/are killed, happened in overwhelmingly Christian communities; does that make Christians violent by nature? If you say so about Muslims, you cannot change the logic and say when Christians commits atrocities they don't openly call Jesus, how they profess their religion is irrelevant. Method may vary, but the result of hatred is the same: death and destruction.

Chancellor of Germany, a Christian, will support Israel's current extremist government even if they kill all Palestinians, That is Extremism! That is Terrorism! Mosques and houses are destroyed and replaced with Jewish settlement every day, but our Christian friends fails to condemn the Zionist they call people of God even thou they don’t recognize JESUS (AWS). They kill Palestinians daily.
All Christian supporters of Israel who employ the Bible to justify the infallibility of Jews and freedom to eliminate Palestinians (Of different races/religions) are also terrorist, for justifying terror.

Why do Muslims and Non Muslims associate Islam with violence, CNN, BBC and laziness!

Let me Explain: There was explosion (BOMB) at the PDP rally in Yenagoa reported by GUARDIAN 3 days ago, but the foreign press did not pick it because it happened in the south. There was an ethnic clash 4 days ago in Rivers which lead to the death of many people and destruction of houses. World (Mainly Christian) ignored it, because they cannot relate it to religious to blackmail Muslims. The western press have a hidden agenda to demonize MUSLIMS, the way they did to JEWS till the CATHOLIC CHRISTIAN Hitler killed over 6 million of them.
2. Once an act is committed by Muslims they shout Islamic terrorist, but the LRA or Irish Catholic and Protestants are not called Christian Terrorist. That is unfair.

This constant labeling has entered people's mind and they only associate Islam with violence. When you repeat a lie for so long, people would be forced to believe.

LAZINESS: Human beings like to have scape goat instead of investigating the cause of a problem. We like to treat symptom not disease. I remember early this year, Dr Okechukwu (A Christian) of the GUARDIAN, and former lecturer with UNIJOS traced the cause of the problem in Jos to Mining which has reduced Land, Political and economic opportunities to Indigenes and Settlers: Beroms and Hausas. Many commentators have emphasized this fact, but nothing concrete is being done.

THE TRUTH: All humans are wicked and dangerous when the condition is "ok" LET US BE SINCERE. ACCUSING MUSLIMS IS ESCAPIST.
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by MeGaStReEt: 6:27pm On Jan 02, 2011
I am sorry to say, but another name for Islam = MADNESS

http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/woman-to-be-hanged-for-speaking-against-islam/question-1340651/

45-year-old Asia Bibi, to death, not because she killed, injured or stole, but simply because she said something against Islam.

The alleged incident happened in June 2009 when Bibi, a field worker, was picking fruit in a village two hours west of Lahore. Prosecutors say when Bibi dipped her cup into a bucket of drinking water during a lunch break, her co-workers complained the water had been contaminated by a non-Muslim.

Prosecutors say Bibi, who is a Christian, broke Pakistan's strict blasphemy law by insulting Islam and the prophet Muhammad, a crime punishable by death or life imprisonment according to Pakistan's penal code.

so much madness, and no sign of PEACE
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by MeGaStReEt: 6:33pm On Jan 02, 2011
Imagine a religion were somebody is paid to kill himself, and he or she is not going to eat from the money, lol, Isn't that madness?? and they actualy believe they have 25 virgins waiting for them in HELL! They need proper education, someone need to tell them the truth, they are not going to get a LovePeddler, let alone a virgin
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by illusion2: 6:41pm On Jan 02, 2011
This is the problem. . .never equate a country with 'Islam'. Many muslims fail to make this distinction- even the terrorists can't make this distinction.

No matter what anyone tries to tell you to the contrary ,you are first & foremost a black man. Although the Wahabbis might make you think all muslims are equal,but you need to visit Saudi Arabia or any other 'muslim country' to know this is at best a pipe dream .

1. The greatest enemy of Iran apart from Israel is Saudi Arabia (due to the Shia/Sunni divide) wikileaks gives more insight into this when the saudis are quoted as asking the US to bomb Iran.

2. Saddam was a threat to all his neighbours- he fought a devastating 7 year war with Iran ,where over 1 million people died. He invaded Kuwait and they pillaged,violated and destroyed many muslim lives & property. When this happened ,it wasn't seen as a war on Islam ??

But all of a sudden the US (with active support of Iraqis in exile),[/b]removes Saddam [b]for the benefit of muslims and its a war on Islam undecided Kindly note that I was & still am against the war in Iraq.

3. I am also not happy about the blind US support for Israel on the occupied arab lands,but its less of a religious issue & more of a political one.

If it was religious & the US was a 'christian' country,they Israel shold have been destroyed by now. Remember the Jews killed our Lord Jesus Christ. The Nazis were 'christians'. So its not religious - 20% of palestinians are christian. Its a political problem which requires a political solution & not terrorism.
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by Nobody: 7:18pm On Jan 02, 2011
http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/woman-to-be-hanged-for-speaking-against-islam/question-1340651/

Are we to believe that all the muslim men (100%) in this village who voted for execution do not know or represent the real Islam?

The peaceful Islam is only for a tiny minority muslims. They are the ones mistaken. The talibans get it. That is what sustains the violence.
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by onyeokwu: 7:23pm On Jan 02, 2011
yes wake up call indeed bain wash people open your eyes zombies
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by IYANGBALI: 7:36pm On Jan 02, 2011
let CAN {CHRISTAIN ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA} bring out waepons and all the necesssary things for us to face these so called muslim exremists and settle this once and for all,they keep coming to hit us because they believe we are cowards and our religion does not encourage retaliation,let,s leave bible for once and face the bastards.Nigeria is for no one but for all.Shege dan banza. ISLAM RELIGION OF PEACE MY FOOT, FOK MOHAMMED{SHAME BE UPON HIM}FOK YOU ALL Hisses and walks away
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by Nobody: 7:43pm On Jan 02, 2011
@IYA NGBALI , aisha2 is going to ban you from posting. cry
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by IYANGBALI: 7:49pm On Jan 02, 2011
jerseyboy:

@IYA NGBALI , aisha2 is going to ban you from posting. cry
why?is it because she is a muslim?let her ban me i would definitely come back wid another name stronger than this{i hope she is reading?}The truth must be told nonsense
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by jmaine: 7:53pm On Jan 02, 2011
MeGaStReEt:

Imagine a religion were somebody is paid to kill himself, and he or she is not going to eat from the money, lol, Isn't that madness?? and they actualy believe they have 25 virgins waiting for them in HELL! They need proper education, someone need to tell them the truth, they are not going to get a LovePeddler, let alone a virgin

Nope bro. .the brain dead martyrs  were promised 70 virgins each for being fooled into hell.
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by naijangel7(f): 8:32pm On Jan 02, 2011
jmaine:

Nope bro. .the brain dead martyrs  were promised 70 virgins each for being fooled into hell.

Hahaha so stupid. In other words, the virgins are the attraction lol. Dying a natural death may mean going to heaven but no virgins grin grin grin The devil is a liar. E don deceive them with suicide finish.
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by Amalaaba: 9:15pm On Jan 02, 2011
I think all the attackers of Muslims are fixated on equating Islam with violence illogically- ISLAM-PHOBIA. This started in Europe as it happened to JEWS and it was tagged ANTISEMITISM. This eventually led to genocide of Jews Europe wide. I hope you are not preparing Muslims for GENOCIDE?

Jessey, Onye_Okwu (Owner of Fire?), Illusion2 please take it easy and put yourselves in the shoes of all the Muslims (1.5Billion and still counting) that you are putting in a bag. If God had wanted, all of us would have been in the same religion. Try to look beyond rhetoric and review our argument thoroughly before dismissing us all as violent.

Besides, for God sake, use the same standards to access CHRISTIANITY and ISLAM:

[/list]When we show portions of Bible that are VIOLENT and INHUMAN, you say we can't interpret Bible ordinarily but your must interprete Quran ordinarily?

Christians who wanted to practice their religion freely formed US after wiping (GENOCIDE?) out the red Indians. US (A 90% Christian Nation) dropped the only 2 Nuclear bomb in Japan that annihilated (and continue to kill) hundreds of thousand of people and you say we should discountenance that but you mention a guy that was killed and your Christian killing must be acceptable? How unfair can you be!

Protestants in US numbering 70million cannot allow a non-Christian to become President and their support for ISRAEL is total. America (Christian) supplies $2Billion worth of weapon yearly to Israel to annihilate Palestinians. Any Parliamentarian who criticizes Israel loses his Job. Even Journalist Octavia Nasir and Jacob are clear example. When you support a cause you are liable.

ILLUSION2, please fear God: You claimed that Bush(A Christian) went to kill 1m Iraqis just to remove Saddam[i] for Muslims[/i], Do you truly believe this? let me remind you sir; Bush & Blair (Both Christians) against world opinion, such as Mandela(Bush generously abused him then) and Tutu (Both Christians) under the pretext of removing WMD which IRAQIS and UN said they did not have, after 10 years of debilitating sanctions, which killed tens of thousands of Iraqi Children. By the way, US (CHRISTIAN) armed Iraq against Iran. Rumsfed(CHRISTIAN) once described Mujahideen (TALIBAN) as examples of freedom fighters when they were arming them and training them with syllabuses developed in US Universities to fight Russians. Rumsfed was then working under Reagan( A Christian).

MY POINT: If you are saying a few Muslims are violent so all Muslims are violent, then you must agree that for the few Christian who are violent, all CHRISTIANS are VIOLENT.
By the way, Oshiomole, Fashola and Tinubu are Muslims married to Christians all of whose wives made all the children CHRISTIANS. Please give me such example in CHRISTIANITY as a demonstration of tolerance of your Christians.

THE FACT: Lets treat the cause not symptom. Economics and Social problems are at the root of the problem in Nigeria today. You are angry when they see the ostentatious life style of our leaders. Umuleri/Aguleri,  Ife/Modakeke so on may have been called religious  if  either side had Muslim majoriy

LETS OPEN OUR EYES MY FRIENDS; POLITICIANS ARE THE SAME EVERYWHERE: Wicked, selfish, Evil and dangerous.
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by henryorbit(m): 9:18pm On Jan 02, 2011
This Islamic principle shows that there is no room for non-state warfare, which is what we generally call guerilla war.
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jan 02, 2011
All I know is that Islam is a religion of peace.
Many people in many countries have mixed religion with politics, these people are the terrorist.

Islam = Peace
Religion + Politics = Terrorism

Oh my fellow Nigerians, please help us to hijack the people, who are mixing religion with politics because we Nigerians are not terrorist. It is sad to know that Nigeria is now in the list of the terrorist.
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by londoner: 9:22pm On Jan 02, 2011
We are all sad, angry and disheartened about what has and is happening, but we should not forget (whether Muslim or Christian) that we are Nigerians. We have a right to live in peace in Nigeria if we so wish to.

Progressive, peace loving Nigerians need to face this issie head on from the root.

Any Christian here who is suggesting taking up arms and killing distances himself from his/her religion.

If you are going to spill blood do so in your own name. Dont follow these crazy boko horam and "panty-bombers" to drag your religion through the mud.

Progressive minds need to come together, and I know there are many muslims (Hausa and non-Hausa), and Christians who fall under this category. They need to come together and face extremism and while we are at it tribalism too.

Nigerians have trouble standing together as true brothers and sisters, thats why these types of groups are easily bred and flourish there.
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by Amalaaba: 9:57pm On Jan 02, 2011
LONDONER
May God bless you. All the Boko Haram in Nigeria will not know peace; lets all make Nigeria too hot for them to increase our sorrow.

Their sponsors deserves hell.

We should all come together t defeat terror from all sources!
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by Nobody: 10:25pm On Jan 02, 2011
I am not a muslim basher God know's that. But i hate mofo's that defend their religion blindly even when its so freakin clear SOMETHINGS it stands for is wrong! People have already started moving out of Nigeria i know that for a fact! THIS IS SO SAD, WHY IS IT THAT BLACKS IN THE WORLD ONLY HAVE STRIFE, WARS, CORRUPTION (ON KENTRO LEVEL), EXTREMELY LOW STANDARD OF LIVING IN OUR NATIONS?? ARE WE INDEED THE CURSED RACE IN THE BIBLE? DOES ANYONE WONDER WHY DON'T WE STRIFE FOR COMMUNITY, UNITY, LOVE, PROGRESSION WHYYYYY?? WHY DO WE ONLY SEEK SHORT TERM GRATIFICATION TO ENRICH OURSELVES AT THE EXPENSE OF OUR COUNTRY'S FUTURE? WHY DO WE CONTINUE TO LACK SELF RESPECT FOR OUR IDENTITY AS BLACKS ON THIS EARTH AND REALIZE WE ARE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE CIVILIZATION CHAIN ON EARTH AND WE NEED TO CHANGE THAT? WHO WILL SACRIFICE IN NIGERIA TO WAKE EVERYONE UP? WHEN ARE WE GONNA SAY ENOUGH IS ENOUGH WHO IS IT GOING TO START WITH ARE WE WAITING FOR A MESSIAH?? THE CHANGE CAN ONLY COME FROM THE GRASSROOTS. OUR PARENTS HAVE FAILED US!
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by naijangel7(f): 10:26pm On Jan 02, 2011
Amalaaba:

I think all the attackers of Muslims are fixated on equating Islam with violence

With good reason.

Amalaaba:

Besides, for God sake, use the same standards to access CHRISTIANITY and ISLAM:

[/list]When we show portions of Bible that are VIOLENT and INHUMAN, you say we can't interpret Bible ordinarily but your must interprete Quran ordinarily?

We have already said Christians have chosen to move with the times but Muslims are stuck in the 4th century.

Amalaaba:

You claimed that Bush(A Christian) went to kill 1m Iraqis just to remove Saddam[i] for Muslims[/i], Do you truly believe this? let me remind you sir; Bush & Blair (Both Christians) against world opinion, such as Mandela(Bush generously abused him then) and Tutu (Both Christians) under the pretext of removing WMD which IRAQIS and UN said they did not have, after 10 years of debilitating sanctions, which killed tens of thousands of Iraqi Children. By the way, US (CHRISTIAN) armed Iraq against Iran. Rumsfed(CHRISTIAN) once described Mujahideen (TALIBAN) as examples of freedom fighters when they were arming them and training them with syllabuses developed in US Universities to fight Russians. Rumsfed was then working under Reagan( A Christian).

MY POINT: If you are saying a few Muslims are violent so all Muslims are violent, then you must agree that for the few Christian who are violent, all CHRISTIANS are VIOLENT.

Did Bush and Blair take these decisions in the name of Christianity or Jesus or the Bible? Did they have the support of any Christian organisation?

Amalaaba:

By the way, Oshiomole, Fashola and Tinubu are Muslims married to Christians all of whose wives made all the children CHRISTIANS. Please give me such example in CHRISTIANITY as a demonstration of tolerance of your Christians.

Do you have examples of any such family from the North? A Hausa/Fulani family, perhaps? Not even in your nightmares. If you have read anything on this thread at all you would have seen that most of the grievances people have are against the extremist Northern Nigerian Muslims.
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jan 02, 2011
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_terrorism
History

British journalist and politician Ian Gilmour has cited the historical case of the St. Bartholomew's Day massacre in 1572, a beginning of Roman Catholic mob violence directed against the Huguenots (French Calvinist Protestants), as an instance of religious terrorism on par with modern day terrorism, and goes on to write, "That massacre, said Pope Gregory XIII, gave him more pleasure than fifty Battles of Lepanto, and he commissioned Vasari to paint frescoes of it in the Vatican".[2] It is estimated that 2,000 to possibly 25,000 Huguenots (French Protestants) were killed by Catholic mobs, and it has been called "the worst of the century's religious massacres". The massacre led to the start of the "fourth war" of the French Wars of Religion, which was marked by many other massacres and assassinations by both sides. Peter Steinfels has cited the historical case of the Gunpowder Plot, when Guy Fawkes and other Catholic revolutionaries attempted to overthrow the Protestant establishment of England by blowing up the Houses of Parliament, as a notable case of religious terrorism.[3]
Religious scholar Philip Jenkins studied the Quran and the Bible in the light of the September 11 attacks and accusation that the former incites violence. He found that "the Bible contains far more verses praising or urging bloodshed than does the Quran."[4]
[edit]Organisations and acts by country

[edit]Canada
The Sons of Freedom, a sect of Doukhobor anarchists, have protested nude, blown up power pylons, railroad bridges, and set fire to homes, often targeting their own property.[5]
[edit]India
The National Liberation Front of Tripura, a rebel group operating in Tripura, North-East India classified by the National Memorial Institute for the Prevention of Terrorism as one of the ten most active terrorist groups in the world, has been accused of forcefully converting people to Christianity.[6][7][8] The state government reports that the Baptist Church of Tripura supplies arms and gives financial support to the NLFT.[7][8][9] The Church is also reported to encourage the NLFT to murder Hindus, particularly infants.[9] NLFT has also declared a ban against Hindus celebrating Durga Puja and other Hindu festivals.[10]
The insurgency in Nagaland was led by the National Socialist Council of Nagaland (NSCN) and continues today with its faction NSCN - Isaac Muivah which explicitly calls for a "Nagalim for Christ."[11]
In Assam, an extremest group named Manmasi National Christian Army (MNCA) with around 15 members from the Hmar ethnic group, have placed bloodstained crosses in Hindu temples and forced Hindus to convert at gunpoint.[12]
[edit]Indonesia
The Holland-based Republik Maluku Selatan sought to create an independent South Moluccas out of a part of Indonesia that was culturally different from the Muslim majority country.[citation needed]
Likewise the Free Papua Movement seeks an independent Republic of West Papua because of cultural dissimilarities with Indonesia.[citation needed]
[edit]Lebanon
In 1982, Lebanese Christian militias sided with Israel and massacred hundreds of Palestinians in Sabra and Shatila refugee camps under the defense ministry of Ariel Sharon.[13]
[edit]Northern Ireland
Martin Dillon interviewed paramilitaries on both sides of the conflict, questioning how they could reconcile murder with their Christian convictions.[14]
Steve Bruce, sociology professor at the University of Aberdeen, wrote:
The Northern Ireland conflict is a religious conflict. Economic and social considerations are also crucial, but it was the fact that the competing populations in Ireland adhered and still adhere to competing religious traditions which has given the conflict its enduring and intractable quality.[15]:249
Reviewing the book, David Harkness of The English Historical Review agreed "Of course the Northern Ireland conflict is at heart religious".[16]
John Hickey wrote:
Politics in the North is not politics exploiting religion. That is far too simple an explanation: it is one which trips readily off the tongue of commentators who are used to a cultural style in which the politically pragmatic is the normal way of conducting affairs and all other considerations are put to its use. In the case of Northern Ireland the relationship is much more complex. It is more a question of religion inspiring politics than of politics making use of religion. It is a situation more akin to the first half of seventeenth‑century England than to the last quarter of twentieth century Britain.[17]
Padraic Pearse was a devoted believer of the Christian faith, a writer, and one of the leaders of the Easter Rising.[18] In his writings he often identified Ireland with Jesus Christ to emphasise the suffering of the nation, and called for his readers to resurrect and redeem the nation, through self-sacrifice which would turn them into martyrs.[18] Browne states that Pearse’s "ideas of sacrifice and atonement, of the blood of martyrs that makes fruitful the seed of faith, are to be found all through [his] writings; nay, they have here even more than their religious significance, and become vitalizing factors in the struggle for Irish nationality".[18]
Brian O'Higgins, who helped in the rebel capture of Dublin's General Post Office in O'Connell Street, recalled how all the republicans took turn reciting the Rosary every half hour during the rebellion. He wrote that there
was hardly a man in the volunteer ranks who did not prepare for death on Easter Saturday [19] and there were many who felt as they knelt at the altar rails on Easter Sunday morning that they were doing no more than fulfilling their Easter duty – that they were renouncing the world and all the world held for them by making themselves worthy to appear before the Judgement Seat of God, The executions reinforced the sacrificial motif as Mass followed Mass for the dead leaders, linking them with the sacrifice of Christ, the ancient martyrs and heroes, and the honoured dead from previous revolts, These and other deaths by hungerstrike transformed not only the perceived sacrificial victims but, in the eyes of many ordinary Irish people, the cause for which they died. The martyrs and their cause became sacred.[20]
Sweeney went on to note that the culture of hunger strikes continued to be used by the Provisional IRA to great effect in the 1970s and 1980s, resulting in a revamped Sinn Fein, and mobilising huge sections of the Catholic community behind the republican cause.[20]:13
The Guardian newspaper attributed the murder of Martin O'Hagan, a former inmate of the Maze prison and a fearless reporter on crime and the paramilitaries, to the revival of religious fundamentalism.[21]
Although often advocating nationalist policies, these groups consisted of and were supported by distinct religious groups in a religiously partitioned society. Groups on both sides advocated what they saw as armed defence of their own religious group.[22]:134–135
The Orange Volunteers are a group infamous for carrying out simultaneous terrorist attacks on Catholic churches.[23]
[edit]Romania
Orthodox Church movements in Romania, such as the Iron Guard and Lăncieri, which have been characterized by Yad Vashem and Stanley G. Payne as anti-semitic and fascist, respectively, were responsible for involvement in the Bucharest pogrom, and political murders during the 1930s.[24][25][26][27][28]
[edit]Russia
A number of Russian political and paramilitary groups combine racism, nationalism, and Russian Orthodox beliefs.[29][30] Russian National Unity, a far right ultra-nationalist political party and paramilitary organization, advocates an increased role for the Russian Orthodox Church according to its manifesto. It has been accused of murders, and several terrorist attacks including the bombing of the US Consulate in Ekaterinburg.[29][31]
[edit]Uganda
The Lord's Resistance Army, a cult guerrilla army engaged in an armed rebellion against the Ugandan government, has been accused of using child soldiers and committing numerous crimes against humanity; including massacres, abductions, mutilation, torture, rape, porters and sex slaves.[32] It is led by Joseph Kony, who proclaims himself the spokesperson of God and a spirit medium, primarily of the Christian Holy Spirit which the Acholi believe can represent itself in many manifestations.[33][33][34][35] LRA fighters wear rosary beads and recite passages from the Bible before battle.[36][37][38][39][40][41]
[edit]United States
See also: Anti-abortion violence in the United States

Ku Klux Klan with a burning cross

The End. Victoriously slaying Catholic influence in the U.S. Illustration by Rev. Branford Clarke from Klansmen: Guardians of Liberty 1926 by Bishop Alma White published by the Pillar of Fire Church in Zarephath, NJ.
Beginning after the Civil War, the Protestant-led, white supremacist Ku Klux Klan members in the Southern United States engaged in arson, beatings, cross burning, destruction of property, lynching, murder, rape, tar-and-feathering, and whipping against African Americans, Jews, Catholics and other social or ethnic minorities.[citation needed]
During the twentieth century, members of extremist groups such as the Army of God began executing attacks against abortion clinics and doctors across the United States.[42][43][44] A number of terrorist attacks, were accused of being carried out by individuals and groups with ties to the Christian Identity and Christian Patriot movements; including the Lambs of Christ.[45] A group called Concerned Christians were deported from Israel on suspicion of planning to attack holy sites in Jerusalem at the end of 1999, believing that their deaths would "lead them to heaven."[46][47] The motive for anti-abortionist Scott Roeder murdering Wichita doctor George Tiller on May 31, 2009 was religious.[48]
Hutaree was a Christian militia group based in Adrian, Michigan. In 2010, after an FBI agent infiltrated the group, nine of its members were indicted by a federal grand jury in Detroit on charges of seditious conspiracy to use of improvised explosive devices, teaching the use of explosive materials, and possessing a firearm during a crime of violence.[49]
Timothy McVeigh said that he adhered to 'core' Catholic (a large sect of Christianity) beliefs.[citation needed]
[edit]Motivation, ideology and theology

See also: Anti-abortion violence, Christian Patriot movement, and Christian Identity movement
Christian views on abortion have been cited by Christian individuals and groups that are responsible for threats, assault, murder, and bombings against abortion clinics and doctors across the United States and Canada.[citation needed]
Christian Identity is a loosely affiliated global group of churches and individuals devoted to a racialized theology that asserts North European whites are the direct descendants of the lost tribes of Israel, God's chosen people. It has been associated with groups such as the Aryan Nations, Aryan Republican Army, Army of God, Phineas Priesthood, and The Covenant, The Sword, and the Arm of the Lord. It has been cited as an influence in a number of terrorist attacks around the world, including the 2002 Soweto bombings.[50][51][52][53]
[edit]Alternative views

Daniel Keeran offers a different understanding of Christian terrorism. He believes true discipleship calls Christians to embrace the terrifying reality of turning the other cheek, loving thy enemies, voluntary poverty and radical Christian pacifism. It is a terrorism that calls for the believer to die to save his enemy rather than die to kill his enemy (see Christian martyrs).[54]

my point is this,terrorism is not secluded to just one religion,the fact that a few idiots who translate the words to suit their devilish intentions does not make the whole religion crazy,am a christian,was once a muslim but there was nevera time i had a problem with theway my folks practiced i,
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by Nobody: 10:44pm On Jan 02, 2011
Amalaaba:

ILLUSION2, please fear God: You claimed that Bush(A Christian) went to kill 1m Iraqis just to remove Saddam[i] for Muslims[/i], Do you truly By the way, Oshiomole, Fashola and Tinubu are Muslims married to Christians all of whose wives made all the children CHRISTIANS. Please give me such example in CHRISTIANITY as a demonstration of tolerance of your Christians.

Islam will be wiped out of the south in just 2 generations at the rate of coversion of southern Muslim children. This is because when light (Christianity) and darkness (Islam) are on equal footing, the light will always win. Islam cannot be sustained without violence hence the penalty for leaving Islam is death. Take that penalty away and see how many Muslims are left in the world.
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by morakone(m): 10:51pm On Jan 02, 2011
I av read with rapt attention to every contributions made see the fact is this ISLAM IS A RELIGION OF PEACE AND A COMPLETE WAY OF LIVING FOR MANKIND.

there has been so many misconception about the religion there is clear difference btw ISLAM AND MUSLIM. If U meet islam before meeting a muslim u will appreciate the religion.

VIOLENCE IS NOT PART OF THE RELIGION THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A WAR INITIATED BY THE PROPHET THEY ARE MAJORLY SELF DEFENCE AND , HOW MANY ARE THEY EVEN! IT IS ONLY THE HELP OF ALLAH THAT C THEM THRU MOST OF THE  WARS AND THE FEW ONES THEY LOST WAS AS A RESULT OF THEIR DISOBEDIENCE

WETHER 70 VIRGINS OR OTHERWISE THE PROMISE OF GOD WILL NOT GO UNFULFILLED THERE IS CRITERIA FOR RIGHT AND WRONG ALL SOUL SHALL TASTE DEATH THEN JUDGEMENT PLEASE WE ARE POLITICIZING ISSUE AND I HOPE SOME PEOPLE'S IGNORANCE WILL NOT LEAD THEM TO HELL,

ABUSING ANY PROPHET OF ALLAH IS A SACRILEDGE PLZ DESIST FROM SUCH ACT AND CONCENTRATE ON HOW U ARE GOING TO MAKE HEAVEN NOBODY CAN CONVINCE ME THAT IN THIS PRESENT GENERATION SATAN IS NOT HAVING HIS WAYS AMONG PRESENT OCCUPANT OF THE WORLD HE IS THE MOST EXPERIENCE BEING ON EARTH AND LET US CAST OUR MIND BACK TO THE CREATION OF ADAM WHEN GOD BANISH DEVIL FROM HIS KINGDOM HE DID ASK FOR RESPITE FROM GOD TO KEEP HIM TILL THE LAST MAN CREATED WILL DIE AND GOD GRANT HIM SO IN SUMMARY

ALL MISCONCEPTION HAPPENING IN THE WORLD TODAY IS his  MMAKING
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by kawkab: 10:57pm On Jan 02, 2011
A monstrous mass murder of innocent souls has occurred in Jos again and we are, as always, being insulted with unimaginative, flyblown, and soporific platitudes by our political, media, and clerical elites. Almost every prominent Nigerian who has commented on this heartless, high-tech mass slaughter has mouthed one of three predictably ready-made bromides: oh, this is all about politics, not religion; it’s a failure of security and leadership; and it’s the consequence of poverty.

This is the safe, standard, prepackaged rhetorical frippery that our elites effortlessly regurgitate whenever violent communal convulsions erupt in any part of the country. But this is getting insufferably trite. If the hypocrisy or intellectual laziness that actuates these thoughtless, simplistic sound bites didn’t have far-reaching consequences for our continued existence as a nation and, in fact, our very survival as a people, one would simply yawn in silence and ignore them.

But it so often happens that after these hypocritical, clichéd phrases are uttered, the nation will be anesthetized into a false sense of security and normalcy, the culprits will never be ferreted out much less punished, and everybody will go to sleep—until the next upheaval recrudesces and jolts us all out of our pigheaded complacence.

A scene from the bombings in Jos

And then the predictably mind-numbing, mealy-mouthed banalities will be invoked again by the elites to explain away what happened, and so on and so forth. This rhetorical formula is safe because it absolves people in political and cultural authority from the triple burdens of thinking, confronting uncomfortable truths, and taking action. That’s why politicians are often ironically the first to blame “politicians” for the episodic fits violence that now punctuate our national life. Well, “politician” is a floating signifier that encapsulates everybody in politics, and what refers to everybody refers to nobody. Case closed.

To be sure, political manipulation, inept security and leadership, and poverty are all deeply implicated in the perpetual cycle of violence and recriminations that have become fixtures in our socio-political landscape. But a murderous pervasion of religious doctrines and violent, unthinking ethnic particularism are even greater culprits. People who are brainwashed into believing that those who don’t share their faith deserve to be murdered, or people who are so wedded to their ethnicity that they lack the capacity to tolerate others, are just as dangerous and as culpable—if not more so— as the politicians who “manipulate” them.

Poverty, in and of itself, does not predispose people to violence. There are much poorer countries in Africa than Nigeria that are remarkably peaceful. Take, for an example, Benin Republic, our western neighbor. Or Senegal, an over-90-percent Muslim country that elected a Roman Catholic as its first president. And, of course, security lapses become an issue only in societies that have a predisposition to senseless, unprovoked violence, such as ours.

Now, a group which calls itself Jama’atu Ahlus Sunnah Lid Da’awati Wal Jihad has claimed responsibility for the deadly bombs in Jos. It also claims to have perpetrated its savage murder of innocents, some of whom may in fact be Muslims, on behalf of Muslims and Islam. But the preponderance of reactions to this unsettling revelation among our Muslim leaders and commentators, including security agencies, has been to impulsively dismiss the group’s claim even when they have no contrary evidence—much like Goodluck Jonathan and his minions unthinkingly exculpated the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) of responsibility for the October 1 terrorist attacks even when the group claimed responsibility for the attacks. Same attitude, different personalities. That is the Nigerian story.

One uncomfortable fact that our elites in northern Nigerian have been shy to confront meaningfully and fearlessly is that we do have a worryingly enervating crisis of noxious religious literalism. By religious literalism I mean lazy, literal, and de-contextualized reading of religious texts, which current Central Bank governor Sanusi Lamido Sanusi almost singlehandedly fought for several years in newspaper articles when he was an ordinary banker. I’ve heard so much thoroughgoing hate and blatant call to murder by local, often ignored, religious clerics in the name of sermonizing. These are unmentionable sermons that will curdle the blood of any sane person and cause them to wonder if they share the same humanity as these ignorant, homicidal clerics. Boko Haram’s leader’s video justifying and claiming responsibility for the Jos bombings is an eerie echo of these hateful sermons.

But I know these sermons to be atrociously grotesque perversions of Islam’s core teachings because I am the son of a Muslim scholar who knows as much about Islam as any educated Muslim should. My 80-something-year-old dad taught me to read and write in Arabic before I even learned to read in the Roman alphabet. And my dad’s dad was a Christian. So were many of his brothers and sisters. Yet we lived in peace. My dad always took care to remind us, like all broadminded Muslim scholars do or should, that the references to “unbelievers” in the Qur’an are not to Christians or Jews; they are to seventh-century Arabian idolaters who launched unprovoked attacks against the emergent Islamic religion.

Christians and Jews are properly called “ahlul kitaab” (translated as “people of the book”) in the Qur’an. Although the relationship between early Muslims in the 7th century and Christians was not without problems, it was, for the most part, marked by tolerance as evidenced in several Qur’anic verses.

Examples: “Surely those who believe, and those who are Jews, and the Christians, and the Sabians -- whoever believes in God and the Last Day and does good, they shall have their reward from their Lord. And there will be no fear for them, nor shall they grieve" (2:62, 5:69, and many other similar verses); “[A]nd nearest among them in love to the believers will you find those who say, ‘We are Christians,’ because amongst these are men devoted to learning and men who have renounced the world, and they are not arrogant” (5:82). In the second verse, you can almost mentally picture Reverend Hassan Matthew Kukah and many (Catholic) priests.

But ignorant, hate-filled, and hidebound religious literalists have stripped adherents of other Abrahamic faiths of their status as “people of the book” and have dressed them in the borrowed robes of “unbelievers.” And they are straining hard to make gullible people believe that all the scriptural verses about retaliatory aggression against “unbelievers” in the Qur’an refer to Christians and Jews.

Unfortunately, these hitherto fringe perverts of the message of the Qur’an are beginning to enjoy a position of dominance in northern Nigeria’s religious discourse, and many sane, thinking people are afraid to contradict them, lest they be tagged as “hypocrites” or “sympathizers of unbelievers” and then murdered by their sympathizers.

I know I speak for millions of silent Nigerian Muslims when I say that these blood-thirsty, homicidal beasts who murdered innocent men, women, and children in the name of Islam don’t represent us. But until enough Muslim leaders and commentators come out to openly denounce these people and the ideology of hate that animates them, they will continue to hijack and appropriate the mainstream, and we will all pay dearly for this--literally and symbolically.

But, first, the perpetrators must be be made to face the consequences of their murders. Unfortunately, Goodluck Jonathan has robbed himself of the moral capital to bring these murderers to justice because he also publicly shielded his own MEND kinsmen from the consequences of their own savage terrorism against Nigeria.

The question is: can we afford to go on like this, especially now that we are entering a really dangerous phase of mutual annihilation through bombs? Certainly, our elites’ habitual, knee-jerk, platitudinous reactions to communal violence will hasten our collective ruination. But we need to always remember that the consequences of a violent break-up won’t be pretty for everybody.

Tolerance, understanding, and the acceptance of our diversity are the only values that can sustain us a nation.

Author can be reached at farooqkperogi@gmail.com. He blogs at www.farooqkperogi..com
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by londoner: 11:00pm On Jan 02, 2011
@milehigh06, the fact that you had to search so far back in history for your Christian examples of religious extremism is more a testament to the rejection of using the name of God or the bible to spill blood, than anything else you are trying to "prove".
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by Nobody: 11:11pm On Jan 02, 2011
we can have a peaceful breakup. The South will become relatively much more successful (hopefully) and the North can continue doing whatever they do. I think that's fair enough! The fact is, this is the work of Northern extremist muslims! Nigeria might have lulls in spates of religious/ethnic violence, but i really find it hard to see a united Nigeria as we go forward. The North and south are so different in terms of ideology,way of life and values , that's just the truth!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Railtrack Construction Commencement Ceremony On The Lagos-b'dgry Expressway Pics / Gov Ajimobi Receives Hero's Cheers From Excited Oyo Citizens..see Photos / President Buhari Returns To Abuja After London Medical Trip Channels TV

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.