Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,157 members, 7,811,327 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:24 AM

Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion (18219 Views)

Lets Wake Up...!!! Oh Nigerian Youth / TINUBU Hijacks NASS Positions; Oyegun, Others Kick- The Capital.ng / Oba Obateru Akinruntan Hijacks Election Materials In Ondo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by Ivynwa(f): 11:29pm On Jan 02, 2011
I think the best way the good muslims can make the extremist ones stop is to form a peaceful unit and send out a high sounding message that if they continue to rub mud on you guys religion that you guys will have to let go of the muslim religion (I am not encouraging that you leave your religion.If christians stoop as low as these extremists are doing, I will choose to worship God on my own in the secrecy of my bedroom, once I can get sweet praise and worship songs in youtubes and read my bible).
I am sure that if they realize that their actions are putting others to shame and making the good ones want to lose their faith they will come to their senses and want to stop, they love the religion with passion and won't like to be the cause of others breaking away from it.
When did we all wake up and lose sweet peace, tolerance and unity in the name of religion. God please come heal our world!
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by kabukabu50(m): 12:23am On Jan 03, 2011
Ivynwa:

I think the best way the good muslims can make the extremist ones stop is to form a peaceful unit and send out a high sounding message that if they continue to rub mud on you guys religion that you guys will have to let go of the muslim religion (I am not encouraging that you leave your religion.If christians stoop as low as these extremists are doing, I will choose to worship God on my own in the secrecy of my bedroom, once I can get sweet praise and worship songs in youtubes and read my bible).
I am sure that if they realize that their actions are putting others to shame and making the good ones want to lose their faith they will come to their senses and want to stop, they love the religion with passion and won't like to be the cause of others breaking away from it.
When did we all wake up and lose sweet peace, tolerance and unity in the name of religion. God please come heal our world!

What you said sounds nice but the whole truth is that there are no really "moderate" muslims,deep down if they were pushed,they would join up with their extremist compatriots.

What is also sad is that Islam has captivated Black Muslims to the extent that they are now Muslim first, when it should be Nigerian first.They would easily choose to destroy our nation than defend it against a Islamist extremist ideaology.

Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by jmaine: 12:51am On Jan 03, 2011
kabukabu50:

What is also sad is that Islam has captivated Black Muslims to the extent that they are now Muslim first, when it should be Nigerian first.They would easily choose to destroy our nation than defend it against a Islamist extremist ideaology.

Absolute point there. . their allegiance is to Saudi first before the One Nigeria they so often like to preach.
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by Nobody: 12:58am On Jan 03, 2011
@ londoner,if you would read very well,you will see that at no point in my post did i denounce and applaud any group,my point simply is that crazy people are in every religion,we still have the KKK here in the states,we have nazist who believe that their brand of christianity is puriest and they should kill anyone in the name of the LORD,we still have them,we still have psychos who believe they are armies of the lord out there in texas but that does not mean that christianity iss a religion of hate just like you have the almajiris in the north who are easily deluded by the likes of saraki and co but that does not mean that all northerners are crazy people,we have whites who hate blacks with a passion but that does not mean that all white people are racist
bin laden and co are people who are doing stuff as THEY see just,manipulating the book to their own gain,just like hitler id his maddness years ago.you can never tell me that you have never had a good muslim friend or just because a lot of naija young men are into yahoo yahoo does that make you "Londoner" a con man?
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by Nobody: 1:00am On Jan 03, 2011
jmaine:

Absolute point there. . their allegiance is to Saudi first before the One Nigeria they so often like to preach.
that is what you get when no one owes alliagance toi the nigerian sysem.hw many people will die for naija?how many nigrians would trully die fr a ntionalistic cause,wen th couny was putogeth wih he us of tap and gluewha do you expect
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by truly: 3:40am On Jan 03, 2011
MeGaStReEt:

I am sorry to say, but another name for Islam = MADNESS

http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/woman-to-be-hanged-for-speaking-against-islam/question-1340651/

45-year-old Asia Bibi, to death, not because she killed, injured or stole, but simply because she said something against Islam.

The alleged incident happened in June 2009 when Bibi, a field worker, was picking fruit in a village two hours west of Lahore. Prosecutors say when Bibi dipped her cup into a bucket of drinking water during a lunch break, her co-workers complained the water had been contaminated by a non-Muslim.

Prosecutors say Bibi, who is a Christian, broke Pakistan's strict blasphemy law by insulting Islam and the prophet Muhammad, a crime punishable by death or life imprisonment according to Pakistan's penal code.

so much madness, and no sign of PEACE
I am sorry, but another name for christians = hypocrites
What is the punishment for blasphemy in the Bible? Leviticus 24 : 16
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by truly: 3:56am On Jan 03, 2011
naijangel7:

With good reason.

We have already said Christians have chosen to move with the times but Muslims are stuck in the 4th century.

What good reasons are this? How has christianity moved with the times? By using a new version of the Bible. Tell me when homosexuality was unbanned in the Bible. Tell me when an amendment was made in the Bible making women equal to men and willing them to speak in the church
Christians like to shift the goal while ManU or any team for that matter is dribbling. If you point out what a christian does, they tell you, No, that is not in the Bible. If you now point out those things in the Bible, they still insist they have moved on. So what do they preach with?

Christians these days play down the old testament, but still publish it as part of the Bible

naijangel7:

Did Bush and Blair take these decisions in the name of Christianity or Jesus or the Bible? Did they have the support of any Christian organisation?
Bush does not need to say I am taking this decision in the name of christianity. All he needs to do is to have always identified with the views of the religious right - what were (and are) his views on abortion, same sex marriage, stem cell research. All these were governed by christian values just like Palin's are now.
Of course Pat Robertson has  always supported Bush. The same evangelist recommending that President Chevaz of Venezuela be assassinated so that Islamic "extremism" does not come into that country
BTW, why do christians automatically side with the west when there is a dispute with a muslim country. Somebody here was even giving reasons for the Iraqi war that the Americans did not advance
America said Saddam had weapons of mass destruction. It was a lie.   

And you are saying that the man should bring evidence of inter-religious marriage from the North.
1. Are you saying that those people he mentioned are not muslims?
2. Or are you saying muslims are not allowed to marry christians
3. Or are you saying that to you, you take as evidence anything done only by the muslims from the North
He has brought 3 examples from his own religion; bring AT LEAST one from yours

How many times has a muslim gone inside a church to denounce christianity? None. Yet a christian undergraduate did it to muslims in UI mosque. Several newspapers kept quiet about it.
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by 677ano(m): 4:12am On Jan 03, 2011
why do people claim here that Islam is a religion of peace? It has always be a violent religion from the time of prophet Mohammed.
It is a religion of violence and terrorism. I lived and schooled in the northern part of Nigeria and I must say the Imams and the Hausa Fulani elites are at the root of these problems and they are mostly politically motivated and financed.
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by truly: 5:18am On Jan 03, 2011
illusion2:

This is the problem. .  .never equate a country with 'Islam'. Many muslims fail to make this distinction- even the terrorists can't make this distinction.

No matter what anyone tries to tell you to the contrary ,you are first & foremost a black man. Although the Wahabbis might make you think all muslims are equal,but you need to visit Saudi Arabia or any other 'muslim country' to know this is at best a pipe dream .

1. The greatest enemy of Iran apart from Israel is Saudi Arabia (due to the Shia/Sunni divide) wikileaks gives more insight into this when the saudis are quoted as asking the US to bomb Iran.

2. Saddam was a threat to all his neighbours- he fought a devastating 7 year war with Iran ,where over 1 million people died. He invaded Kuwait and they pillaged,violated and destroyed many muslim lives & property. When this happened ,it wasn't seen as a war on Islam ??  

But all of a sudden the US (with active support of Iraqis in exile),[/b]removes Saddam [b]for the benefit of muslims and its a war on Islam  undecided Kindly note that I was & still am against the war in Iraq.

3. I am also not happy about the blind US support for Israel on the occupied arab lands,but its less of a religious issue & more of a political one.

If it was religious & the US was a 'christian' country,they Israel shold have been destroyed by now. Remember the Jews killed our Lord Jesus Christ. The Nazis were 'christians'. So its not religious - 20% of palestinians are christian. Its a political problem which requires a political solution & not terrorism.
No muslim needs a Wahhabi to tell him his position in Islam. You have been listening to CNN for too long! In the early days of Islam, the person making the call to prayer was a black man - an Ethiopian

The problem of Iran and the US started in 1953
A democractically elected leader (Mossadeque), a man that was very popular with the Iranian was toppled in a coup with the assistance of the CIA. The US puppets were eventually removed in a popular uprising in 1979.
The Iran-Iraq war enabled the US to support the opponents (Iraq) of the new government in Iran. The Gulf war of 1991 was
due to the invasion of Kuwait by Iraq. This led to the defeat and military weakening of Iraq then headed by Saddam. This was the Bush era. Clintion came in and spent two terms of 8 years

How can somebody now come in more than 12 years after in 2003 (Gulf War II) and say I am removing a dictator who has been terorising neighbours?

At the time of the Gulf War II in 2003, Iraq could no longer  threaten any of its neighbours UN sanctions had seen to that.
If you want to remove dictators, there are so many around. The US did not remove the leaders of apartheid South Africa (rather it co-operated with them and dillied-dallied) , Mobutu, Doe of Liberia etc
The reason given by the USA to the UN was to take out weapons of mass destruction. And that was a lie

Even the American Secretary of Sate Colin Powell who was CDS during the Gulf War 1 did nit support Gulf War 2.

They did not say they were removing Saddam for the benefit of muslims. Can feeding pork to detained muslims, subjecting them to indecent sexual acts and all the atrocities of Abu Ghraib be done for the benefit of muslims?

If christians in Nigeria are inventing new justifications for a war that muslims do not like, then they are providing further confirmation of the fact that most people see it as a christian-muslim issue

Tony Blair has said he would have invaded Iraq even without evidence of weapons of mass destruction and would have found a way to justify the war to parliament and the public.

http://emptywheel.firedoglake.com/2009/12/11/tony-blair-we-invaded-iraq-to-change-the-region/

Let me ask you, did christians in Nigeria have any CLEAR sympathy whenever France and Germany waged their perrennial battles? No. But Iraq v France? or Iran v Germany. Nigerian christians would have a clear preference

Similarly, did anybody mention religion when Warri (ife) and itsekiris (Modakeke) were fighting? No. But let us there be a battle in the North; people will start looking for the religious angle

Not every conflict in the North is religious - let me borrow this story
http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/apr/04/national-04-04-2010-002.htm
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by truly: 5:32am On Jan 03, 2011
677ano:

why do people claim here that Islam is a religion of peace? It has always be a violent religion from the time of prophet Mohammed.
It is a religion of violence and terrorism. I lived and schooled in the northern part of Nigeria and I must say the Imams and the Hausa Fulani elites are at the root of these problems and they are mostly politically motivated and financed.
Why do christians pretend they are peaceful? How was christianity spread? Get soldiers to fight and subjugate a country, turn it into a colony and the missionaries follow "peacefully" behind
who made the greatest advances in weaponry? Christian? For what purpose?
Please tell me how christians have conducted themselves in war because you are a christian (and an authority on Islam), you would know far more about christianity
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/26/AR2009052602995.html

"
677ano:
I lived and schooled in the northern part of Nigeria and
blah, blah and that makes me an authority on the nature history of Islam!"
Go and read up on how muslims fight wars. The History of Spain may be a case study. Don't just pronounce on football because you watch the EPL every week!
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by illusion2: 7:12am On Jan 03, 2011
Amalaaba:

Jessey, Onye_Okwu (Owner of Fire?), Illusion2 please take it easy and put yourselves in the shoes of all the Muslims (1.5Billion and still counting) that you are putting in a bag. If God had wanted, all of us would have been in the same religion. Try to look beyond rhetoric and review our argument thoroughly before dismissing us all as violent.

I think you people should really stop banding this ‘1.5 billion’ number all around. It’s not accurate & is at best an aspiration. Note that the number of ‘muslims’ includes  ‘kaffirs’ & apostates like Shia, Ahmadiyya , Alevi
I agree with your statement that God created all of us the way we are & we should respect everyone.
I NEVER said all muslims are violent,they are not ! I live with muslims & I appreciate their humility.
I am trying to tackle the logic that there’s a ‘war on Islam’.

Amalaaba:

Besides, for God sake, use the same standards to access CHRISTIANITY and ISLAM:
[/list]When we show portions of Bible that are VIOLENT and INHUMAN, you say we can't interpret Bible ordinarily but your must interprete Quran ordinarily?
Christians who wanted to practice their religion freely formed US after wiping (GENOCIDE?) out the red Indians. US (A 90% Christian Nation) dropped the only 2 Nuclear bomb in Japan that annihilated (and continue to kill) hundreds of thousand of people and you say we should discountenance that but you mention a guy that was killed and your Christian killing must be acceptable? How unfair can you be!
Protestants in US numbering 70million cannot allow a non-Christian to become President and their support for ISRAEL is total. America (Christian) supplies $2Billion worth of weapon yearly to Israel to annihilate Palestinians. Any Parliamentarian who criticizes Israel loses his Job. Even Journalist Octavia Nasir and Jacob are clear example. When you support a cause you are liable. 
Portions of the Bible are violent-correct,but we read it in context.

The Bible like the Koran is full of history,admonishment,cultural practices. Nobody said the Old Testament is not part of our Bible,but we seperate history from divine directives. Also we follow the law of the land ,wherever we are.

This is the main reason I’m here, you should learn to seperate human policy from religion. Hiroshima was not bombed because the Bible or Jehovah said so. Just like Saddam did not use the Koran to invade Kuwait nor Jordan when it was fighting the Palestinian feyadeen in the 60s.
War is started by human beings. The problem the whole world has with muslim radicals is that they claim they are on a God given mission & they have rewards for killing ‘kaffirs’.
Also get your facts right – about 80% of America is Christian and protestants are far more than 70 milion.
Stop throwing numbers around.
As per my post above -Israel’s hold on America is less of religion & more of economic power. Octavia Nasir the victim you are quoting is a CHRISTIAN !

Amalaaba:

ILLUSION2, please fear God: You claimed that Bush(A Christian) went to kill 1m Iraqis just to remove Saddam[i] for Muslims[/i], Do you truly believe this? let me remind you sir; Bush & Blair (Both Christians) against world opinion, such as Mandela(Bush generously abused him then) and Tutu (Both Christians) under the pretext of removing WMD which IRAQIS and UN said they did not have, after 10 years of debilitating sanctions, which killed tens of thousands of Iraqi Children. By the way, US (CHRISTIAN) armed Iraq against Iran. Rumsfed(CHRISTIAN) once described Mujahideen (TALIBAN) as examples of freedom fighters when they were arming them and training them with syllabuses developed in US Universities to fight Russians. Rumsfed was then working under Reagan( A Christian).
MY POINT: If you are saying a few Muslims are violent so all Muslims are violent, then you must agree that for the few Christian who are violent, all CHRISTIANS are VIOLENT.

I have made this point clear above. America invaded Iraq due (foolishly) to prompting from Iraqis in exile (Muslims).
Of the 1million people killed or displaced in Iraq,95% are killed by Muslims. They even blow themselves up in mosques, religious processions etc. If all muslims stopped killing muslims,the deaths in Iraq will stop.

Amalaaba:

By the way, Oshiomole, Fashola and Tinubu are Muslims married to Christians all of whose wives made all the children CHRISTIANS. Please give me such example in CHRISTIANITY as a demonstration of tolerance of your Christians.
Wrong again. Fashola mother is Christian tho’ his father is Muslim. Himself & his siblings were all christians until he decided at the age of 21 to become a muslim,all his siblings are still christians.
Yes they are tolerant,if all muslims were like these

Amalaaba:

THE FACT: Lets treat the cause not symptom. Economics and Social problems are at the root of the problem in Nigeria today. You are angry when they see the ostentatious life style of our leaders. Umuleri/Aguleri,  Ife/Modakeke so on may have been called religious  if  either side had Muslim majoriy
LETS OPEN OUR EYES MY FRIENDS; POLITICIANS ARE THE SAME EVERYWHERE: Wicked, selfish, Evil and dangerous.

You have just stated the correct thing. Politicians are the same. Never look at life strictly from the lens of Islam, otherwise you will be misled. Remember Saudi wants Osama bin Hiding dead as well.
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by maxani: 9:20am On Jan 03, 2011
It's natural that emotions are bound to soar in discussions like this. very few people here have made reasonable comments, Part of
which is the fact that,

1) The kind of teachings in homes and religious schools/centers should be carefully watched. Teaching extreme content will not help anyone in this country. Kids are smart and can pick up and continue behavioral patterns and points of views of adults they look up to.

2) Anyone who lives in hatred can never know peace. This goes to all religious grps in this country.

3) Attacking or killing people cannot be justified by any means and should be treated as what it truly is: a criminal offense. It must be seriously punished.

4) Religions being accused of extremism in northern Nigeria owe themselves and their religions tireless re-orientation and re-education of both mis-lead and innocent followers if they hope to reduce( if not totally change) the distorted views they claim many people have about their faiths or culture in the country and beyond.

Frankly, it's a little shocking shocking and disturbing to read some of the comments here by "educated/enlightened (and probably religious) young Nigerians who are at the very least intelligent enough to use a computer. Pls., let's remember this is an online forum, its a public thing and the fact that your faces are not displayed next to your comments should not encourage unguarded expressions of emotions.

lets be civilized and proffer solutions to this barbaric bombings and murders!! (well, i understand this might be extremely difficult for some of us whose lives have been torn apart in the name of religious or cultural extremism )
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by seyigiggle: 10:40am On Jan 03, 2011
"ISLAM IS A REGION OF PEACE TO THE VIOLENT PEOPLE. our fellow boko haram and terrorist if they accept and act by it there will be peace.
I hope the next bomb will explode in a mosque?
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by Alicious: 10:46am On Jan 03, 2011
' http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/woman-to-be-hanged-for-speaking-against-islam/question-1340651/

'45-year-old Asia Bibi, to death, not because she killed, injured or stole, but simply because she said something against Islam.

The alleged incident happened in June 2009 when Bibi, a field worker,  was picking fruit in a village two hours west of Lahore. Prosecutors say when Bibi dipped her cup into a bucket of drinking water during a lunch break, her co-workers complained the water had been contaminated by a non-Muslim.

Prosecutors say Bibi, who is a Christian, broke Pakistan's strict blasphemy law by insulting Islam and the prophet Muhammad, a crime punishable by death or life imprisonment according to Pakistan's penal code.

so much madness, and no sign of PEACE'

I am sorry, but another name for christians = hypocrites
What is the punishment for blasphemy in the Bible?  Leviticus 24 : 16 - SPOT ON

@Illusion2- You have hit the nail on the head. Christians have read the bible in context, So the dumb people killing and maiming others have merely neglected to read the Quran in context and NOT all muslims. So If the penalty for blasphemy according to Leviticus 24:16 is death and the punishment for blasphemy according to the Quran is death, Pray tell don't they both advocate violence?

(I do agree with people not moving with times and I AM MUSLIM).

Also all these talk about past wars waged by Christians, Granted it is in the past and we have moved on but the point is that wars over religious beliefs are not exclusive to muslims. Hopefully we will move on from this soon and God forbid a situation where Atheists wage war against muslims but it would be justified  to say 'that was in the past and we've moved on'. This blame game won't solve anything.

Anyway, we should all pray about it because we need a miracle.
On a totally unrelated story, a book that has been translated and changed into so many versions can only contain so much of the original intent - This is purely something I wonder about.
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by usmany: 11:41am On Jan 03, 2011
What Does Islam Say about Terrorism?

Islam, a religion of mercy, does not permit terrorism. In the Quran, God has said:

God does not forbid you from showing kindness and dealing justly with those who have not fought you about religion and have not driven you out of your homes. God loves just dealers. (Quran, 60:cool

The Prophet Muhammad used to prohibit soldiers from killing women and children,1 and he would advise them: {, Do not betray, do not be excessive, do not kill a newborn child.}2 And he also said: {Whoever has killed a person having a treaty with the Muslims shall not smell the fragrance of Paradise, though its fragrance is found for a span of forty years.}3

Also, the Prophet Muhammad has forbidden punishment with fire.4

He once listed murder as the second of the major sins,5 and he even warned that on the Day of Judgment, {The first cases to be adjudicated between people on the Day of Judgment will be those of bloodshed.6}7

Muslims are even encouraged to be kind to animals and are forbidden to hurt them. Once the Prophet Muhammad said: {A woman was punished because she imprisoned a cat until it died. On account of this, she was doomed to Hell. While she imprisoned it, she did not give the cat food or drink, nor did she free it to eat the insects of the earth.}8

He also said that a man gave a very thirsty dog a drink, so God forgave his sins for this action. The Prophet was asked, “Messenger of God, are we rewarded for kindness towards animals?” He said: {There is a reward for kindness to every living animal or human.}9

Additionally, while taking the life of an animal for food, Muslims are commanded to do so in a manner that causes the least amount of fright and suffering possible. The Prophet Muhammad said: {When you slaughter an animal, do so in the best way. One should sharpen his knife to reduce the suffering of the animal.}10

In light of these and other Islamic texts, the act of inciting terror in the hearts of defenseless civilians, the wholesale destruction of buildings and properties, the bombing and maiming of innocent men, women, and children are all forbidden and detestable acts according to Islam and the Muslims. Muslims follow a religion of peace, mercy, and forgiveness, and the vast majority have nothing to do with the violent events some have associated with Muslims. If an individual Muslim were to commit an act of terrorism, this person would be guilty of violating the laws of Islam.

For more about Islam, click http://www.islam-guide.com/more/#Islam-on-Terrorism
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by truly: 11:49am On Jan 03, 2011
Anyway what is the purpose of this thread?

(1) A referendum on Islam which a lot of people who do not like Islam will jump on to attack Islam to their hearts' content or

(2) a genuine effort to rally Muslims (who truly understand Islamic principles) to rein in the terrorists

If A, let this thread continue the way it has been going such that the next time some innocent souls are slaughtered, we get behind our computers to rave and rant. Then we go about our normal businesses until next time

If B, let us focus on solutions
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by usmany: 12:18pm On Jan 03, 2011
All praises is due to Allah. We praise Him, ask him, and seek his forgiveness. We seek refuge in Allah from evils of ourselves and mischiefs of our deeds. Whomsoever Allah guides, cannot be misguided. Peace and blessings be upon the Final Messenger Muhammed, on his family and his noble companions , Ameen

Belief in Doomsday is one of the fundamentals and pillars of faith. It is the day when everyone is to get recompense and punishment for one's work and has to go to heaven or hell according to one's deeds. This is the reason each and every Prophet warned his people of the Day of Judgement.

As for the knowledge of the time of Qiyamah (End of the World) , it has not been given to any angel or Prophet. Nobody besides Allah knows when the final hour is.

The Quran states, O Prophet the infidels ask you about the time of Qiyamah. So tell them that it's knowledge is with Allah only. (Surah Luqman)

However certain events are going to take place prior to the coming of the final hour. These events are known as the Signs of Qiyamah. All the Prophets informed their people of the signs of the final hour. Our Prophet Muhammed being the last and the seal of Prophets, knowing that Doomsday is to come upon this very ummah, explained clearly and in considerable detail the signs of the final hour to the extent that sometimes he would lecture his companions all day on this subject.

Abu Zaid (R.A.) says, 'The Holy Prophet sat down on the pulpit after Fajar Prayer and began a deliver a long sermon until the time for Zohr prayer came. After saying the Zohr prayer he again sat on the pulpit and began the sermon, which continued till Asr prayer. After the Asr prayer he resumed the sermon so much so that the sun set. he related whatever happened in the past and also related in detail whatever is to happen in the future. Those amongst us who had good memories retained many things.' (Muslim)

The signs of the final hour can be divided into two groups.

1) Minor signs: Minor signs are events of normal nature prophesised by our Prophet Muhammed to take place before Qiyamah like the consumption of alcohol, lifting of knowledge and prevalence of ignorance and immorality and signs of this nature. The majority of the minor signs have appeared while some are occurring and some will appear with major signs.

2) Major signs: Major signs ae events of extraordinary nature prophesied by our Prophet to take place before Qiyamah like all the events mentioned in the following hadith narrated by Hudhaifa ibn Usayd that the Prophet said, 'The last hour will not arrive till you have seen ten signs. He then mentioned the Smoke, Dajjal, Beast, Rising of the Sun from the place of it's setting, the Descent of Isa, Ya'juj Ma'juj, Three Landslides, one in the East , one in the West and one in the Arabian Peninsula after that a Fire would spread from Yemen and drive the people to their place of gathering.' (Muslim)

THE MAHDI
The Coming of Imaam Mahdi is one of the signs of Qiyamah as is the belief of the Ahlus-Sunnah and he has yet to appear.

Abdullah-bin-Masood has reported that the Prophet said, "The world will not pass away before the Arabs are ruled by a man (referring to Mahdi) of my family whose name will be the same as mine." (Abu Daud)

However, many people in the past falsely claimed to be Imaam Mahdi. One of these false claimants was Mohd-bin-Tomart, a tyrant who spread corruption and even buried some of his companions because they didn't believe that he was the Mahdi described by the Ahadith of Prophet . Some believe it was Mohd-bin-al Askari who disappeared at the age of 5 and went into hiding and has been hiding for 10 centuries. Mirza Ghulam Ahmad (The Cursed) was also one of those who claimed to be the Mahdi as well as many other people. Besides those mentioned there were many others who claimed the office of Mahdi, the most recent being somebody from Manchester who claimed the position for himself.

It should be noted that none of the above or anybody else who claimed to be the Mahdi in the past fulfilled the conditions laid down by the Prophet .

For more info, please check http://www.inter-islam.org/faith/Majorsigns.html
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by congoshine(m): 1:19pm On Jan 03, 2011
^^^^ Another deluded MTF grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by reindeer: 1:28pm On Jan 03, 2011
The thread was created by one who i think is a reformer, most likely with a genuine intent to change what he/she sees as an assault on the image of his/her dear religion.
People(including me) came in very angry about the daily senseless killing and maiming done in the name of islam, wondering why it seems the 'bad' muslims are more vocal and visible than the 'good' muslims.
Now much calmer, i see 2 types of muslims on this thread, some who genuinely feel for the innocent lives lost and call for a new vista in islamic practices, and the other who justify such with ''but Christians committed atrocities too-500 years ago, or people are dying in jos/abuja because America is waging a war against islam''.
What the world (and more especially Nigeria) needs now is not blood letting and hatred, but a genuine interest in making lives better and getting good governance.It is in no one's interest to kill innocent men, women and children in the name of God, for if God in this time and age,wipes off innocents this way, then he has no moral rights to condemn people for murder.
Let us reconsider our words, hearts and minds and condemn evil under any guise.
I may have offended some by the things i said in anger and frustration at the killings, for this i am sorry
Let muslims take back their religion if indeed they believe it has been hijacked by a moronic few.
Enough talk and more action
''actions speak louder than voice''.

@truly, what solutions do you proffer?
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by naijangel7(f): 1:33pm On Jan 03, 2011
truly:

What good reasons are this?

Are you even serious? Are you asking what good  reasons non-muslims have for viewing Islam as violent? Have you ever heard the names "Alqaeda" or "Boko Haram"? I´m beginning to worry for your sanity.

truly:

How has christianity moved with the times?

Truly, I truly worry for you o.

truly:

And you are saying that the man should bring evidence of inter-religious marriage from the North.
1. Are you saying that those people he mentioned are not muslims?
2. Or are you saying muslims are not allowed to marry christians
3. Or are you saying that to you, you take as evidence anything done only by the muslims from the North
He has brought 3 examples from his own religion; bring [b]AT LEAST one  from yours[/b]

Stick to the context. What are we talking about? Northern muslims. Or is Boko Haram not from the North? Go back and read my post which you are referring to before you say all these off-point statements. And as for your demand for an example, my own family is a very good one. I have a second cousin married to a muslim woman from Maidugri. She has raised all their children (four sons) as muslims and they are in their 20s now. It is not a big deal in my family.

truly:

How many times has a muslim gone inside a church to denounce christianity?

True. They never go inside a church. How can a Muslim go into the house of worship of Kaffrs? It´s easier to just burn it down from the outside, especially when there are worshippers inside. Anything less will be defiling.

truly:

BTW, why do christians automatically side with the west when there is a dispute with a muslim country.

In other words, you were deaf to the loud criticism from the West, including American citizens themselves against the war in Iraq? Criticism which continues to this day? smh.
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by pixiraver(m): 1:39pm On Jan 03, 2011
The problem is not with Hausas, the problem is with religion. Religion has failed the world, Christianity and Islam have both failed mankind, we can blame Muslims for killing people at will but the Church also did the same way back. What right do we have to say don't condone that religion, if you do you will die a sinner?

Ok let's see it from this point of view, we Christians believe Jesus Christ is the son of God and without being 'Born Again' you will go to hell fire after rapture, are we trying to say all Muslims will go to hell because they are not Christians? The same applies to Muslims who believe all Christians are infidels, we all turn into zombies and fight for a senseless cause.

If Jesus Christ were to return today and say i am Jesus, the son of God would anyone really take him seriously? If Mohammed were to also return and say i am Mohammed won't he be stoned to death?

How i wish a higher body with passionate and positive cause geared towards saving mankind would govern the world and bring about genuine prosperity and peace around the world and do away with religion.
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by naijangel7(f): 1:54pm On Jan 03, 2011
kayceed77 said:

I cant wait the day we will have North Nigeria and South Nigeria as two different countries

ROSSIKE said:

Who gets to keep Abuja?

The North can keep Abuja, all we need is Lagos and Nollywood. Forget crude oil sef. Let´s see where Abuja takes them after they bomb themselves to smithereens.
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by rahman25: 2:59pm On Jan 03, 2011
from my observation so far,i nw know the reason why the nigerian problem can not be resolved nw.but its my prayer that we all come to our senses on time.there is this thing that our leaders either religious or ethnic have spread among the youth i.e there is no good thing coming from the other person not from your tribe or religion.the youth of this country are not ready to offer solution to this issue. we need to understand ourselves.

If we have any problem in the country let us all find a lasting solution and not condemning one religion or tribe over the issue.i am a yoruba man i served in the north lived among the ibos but i was able to overlook their bad side n appreciate their good side more.we lived peacefully for that one year.we still call ourselves till nw.no wahala.

the government are the cause of the problems we are having in this country,if they had gone after those who commit the former massacre the other time.this one will never come up again but they are busy going after their political ambition.

only ALLAH can save us in this country.

i am not begging anybody to appreciate my contribution cos i knw some ppple will still critise me n ISLAM.
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jan 03, 2011
i know the OP is trying to save face for his/her muslim brothers and sisters, but talking to each other isn't enough - i don't see muslims taking a stand against these extremists, and providing information about them where they may be found, taking active steps to root out the radicalists from within. where were the muslim clerics post jos and abuja and maiduguri bombings/attacks? keeping mum. and we all know that silence is consent.

the peace-loving muslims (and i know they exist) may cry 'foul', but passive acceptance of evil within your religion is tantamount to your approval of it. if your child steals from a neighbour do you think it is enough to say 'oh, my son, do not do it again', and not punish the boy, restitute and make the peace with your neighbour? the friend of a thief is a thief. the friend of a murderer is a murderer. Unless we have more people like mutallab's father who, at great personal risk, reported his own son to the authorities, we cannot take your pleas seriously. we will continue to believe that you passively enjoy these barbaric acts.

the only muslims i will take seriously are those on here who not only apologised and condemned the mindless attacks, but put themselves in the shoes of the victims families as they cursed the perpetrators. enough of the talk. if you dislike their actions so much, root them out, and take a stand for the peace you believe in.
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by congoshine(m): 3:34pm On Jan 03, 2011
rahman25:

from my observation so far,i nw know the reason why the nigerian problem can not be resolved nw.but its my prayer that we all come to our senses on time.there is this thing that our leaders either religious or ethnic have spread among the youth i.e there is no good thing coming from the other person not from your tribe or religion.the youth of this country are not ready to offer solution to this issue. we need to understand ourselves.

If we have any problem in the country let us all find a lasting solution and not condemning one religion or tribe over the issue.i am a yoruba man i served in the north lived among the ibos but i was able to overlook their bad side n appreciate their good side more.we lived peacefully for that one year.we still call ourselves till nw.no wahala.

the government are the cause of the problems we are having in this country,if they had gone after those who commit the former massacre the other time.this one will never come up again but they are busy going after their political ambition.

i am not begging anybody to appreciate my contribution cos i knw some ppple will still critise me n ISLAM.
You didnt have to create a new ID to make this point my friend. . . .you dey fear ? undecided

Na u no con get bad side ?

BTW, Yoruba 'muslims' are not muslims,so don't bother defending the true practitioners of the faith (like Buhari,Boko Haram,Osama,Sultan of Sokoto etc  cheesy )
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by seyibrown(f): 3:37pm On Jan 03, 2011
@ rahman25

The 'Boko Haram'/Islamic radicalist/'Bomb or kill or non-muslims' way?  Or the 'Live in peace with everybody' way? Which is Allah's way?

i am not begging anybody to appreciate my contribution cos i knw some ppple will still critise me n ISLAM

Why do you have this mind-set? Do people generally criticise 'PEACE'? No, Lovers of PEACE will SPEAK OUT AGAINST VIOLENCE, !
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by rahman25: 3:40pm On Jan 03, 2011
@iceblue,u re right. i totally support your view.In this country where we have government.y have they not gone after them the way they tackled the militants n kidnapper int he niger-delta n south eastern states respectively.the government should tell the whole world who the backborn of the pple are.the governmeand up to the issues in this coutry.
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by reindeer: 4:18pm On Jan 03, 2011
rahman25:

@iceblue,u re right. i totally support your view.In this country where we have government.y have they not gone after them the way they tackled the militants n kidnapper int he niger-delta n south eastern states respectively.the government should tell the whole world who the backborn of the pple are.the governmeand up to the issues in this coutry.

For the umpteenth time, the militants and kidnappers are not claiming any moral high ground. The militants are protesting a direct and very visible injustice, they never said any deity sent them.The kidnappers were common criminals who never denied they were that.The militants fought the state i.e the army and the oil companies directly raping their homes and sources of livelihood.Using the aforementioned to justify killing innocent people in the name of religion is just lame and childish and should never be condoned. What we are seeking are solutions not excuses under whatever guise.
The government should wake up to it's responsibilities and crush these animals before they grow and spread their satanic ideologies(as the OP has shown they are not islamic).
Stop giving any excuse or justifications for them please.
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by BinghiNya(m): 5:16pm On Jan 03, 2011
Muslims,

Please ignore the deluded ones. Islam and Christians both have renegades. People have forgotten how Captain Philips massacred benin people. They forgot how africans were sold into slavery. They forgot how muslims are terrorized day and night in the name of preaching at home, in offices, weherever. They forgot how gazan kids were massacred in thousands some years ago. Rev King is a muslim. Jimmy Swaggart is a muslim. TB Joshua is a muslim. Rev. Adeboye who prays for robbers and looters is a muslim. The eastern Killers and Robbers are muslims. The Catholic priests who sleep with kids are also muslims. Don't throw stone when u live in a glass house. My aunt once threw me out of the house for not attending a church. I am muslim and i am proud to be one. There is only One God, Allah Akbar.
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by bankylan: 5:38pm On Jan 03, 2011
' I advise all Nigerians to Read this book, 'MESSAGE FROM MUTTALAB', It is available on amazon and you can get it on www.wsicebooks.com'.

It is explosive, and I want you all to get the electronic format available to all Nigerians.

What does Abdulmuttalab have to say?,
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by easyway(m): 6:32pm On Jan 03, 2011
[color=#006600][/color] I don't know if anybody could believe it or not that the bombing is political not religious, because the b6mb used is also linked to the one used in Niger Delta or is it that the muslims that are bombing in Niger Delta, there is no religion that teaches intolerance and islam never says kill and go to heaven only that the Quran is been misquoted because you can't say because you have doctorate in law you've read thousands of bigger books so you can easily understand it, no and never.
Re: Nigerian Muslims Lets Wake Up Before Boko Haram Hijacks Our Religion by naijangel7(f): 7:43pm On Jan 03, 2011
BinghiNya:

Muslims,

Please ignore the deluded ones. Islam and Christians both have renegades. People have forgotten how Captain Philips massacred benin people. They forgot how africans were sold into slavery. They forgot how muslims are terrorized day and night in the name of preaching at home, in offices, weherever. They forgot how gazan kids were massacred in thousands some years ago. Rev King is  a muslim. Jimmy Swaggart is  a muslim. TB Joshua is  a muslim. Rev. Adeboye who prays for robbers and looters is  a muslim. The eastern Killers and Robbers are muslims. The Catholic priests who sleep with kids are also muslims. Don't throw stone when u live in a glass house. My aunt once threw me out of the house for not attending a church. I am muslim and i am proud to  be one. There is only One God, Allah Akbar.

Na wa o. So slavery is now a Christian issue? Which history did you study? Preaching is terrorism? As for the catholic priests, which part of the Bible did they quote to support their actions? What has been the response of Christians the world over towards the Vatican and the disgraceful conduct of the priests? Where exactly do you stand, are you comparing Boko Haram members to Adeboye, TB Johua and Jimmy Swaggart? (I have no interest in any of them, by the way). As someone has already pointed out earlier on, there´s no such thing as a moderate Muslim. At moments like this, their true colours always shine through.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Why It Is Impossible To Have A Free And Fair Election In Nigeria / Amaechi Will Be Treated Like A Traitor – Dokubo-Asari / Share Recovered Loot Among 36 States‎ – PDP Chieftain Tells Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 160
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.