Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,286 members, 7,811,855 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:28 PM

Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? - Family (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? (13175 Views)

IS it right for a dad to bath his 15years old daughter? / CCTV Exposed His Daughter's Sexual Escapade. / Overbearing Mum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by Atreides(f): 1:26pm On Jan 07, 2011
Well,we're not exactly the most patient people in the world. I don't write in text-speak(except i'm actually texting),but my own case is special. But old people get really worked up about it. . Still remember the whole Reuben Abati brouhaha.
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by Carlosein(m): 1:46pm On Jan 07, 2011
i can get trying to save on text (i do it too grin), but i can't get writing itz, for it's, buh for but, parentz for parents and other obtuse words.
they contain same no. of letters, so why not just type the correct thing and save me the headache of deciphering

i know patience is a virtue, but there's overdoing a bad (IMHO) habit abeg!
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by Abugani: 2:29pm On Jan 08, 2011
No not at all. Its not right for a parent to go that far. Most times,it backfires on the parents as the daughter could end up hating them. I wouldn't do that. Best bet, if you suspect anything, sit down and talk and specifically for a daughter, dads, pls not you. Let the mums do it! Lol. wink
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by harakiri(m): 2:59pm On Jan 08, 2011
What is it with kids these days? A parent can't monitor a child anymore all becos of 'privacy' and freedoms? Tomorrow,when that child's life becomes messed up,its still that same child (and everyone else) that will blame the parent for everything. What on earth is wrong with a father checking her phone? What if she is friends with a pEDOph.ile or a raPIst? What if she is giving info 2 ppl dat are potential robbers and kidnappers? What if she's going out with a guy who intends to drug her and ravage her afterwards? I know a lady who is 33,single,a drug addict,with two kids,from a very rich home and till tomorrow. . .she blames her parents (especially her father) for all the disasters in her life. She blames them for not putting a leash on her,for allowing her all the freedom as a teenager and so on. Today,she is a great source of sadness to her parents. Is that what 'civil and western' life is all about? Rubbish!
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by Atreides(f): 4:34pm On Jan 08, 2011
@harakiri,i don't date. Even if i was dating someone,i'd never go to his house alone,not to talk of drinking something that wasn't opened in my presence-at least until we get to a certain level of mutual trust. How would i give info to armed robbers/kidnappers? So someone would ask me 'oh by the way,where does your daddy keep all his money?' or 'what kinda locks do you have in your house?' and i would open my mouth and talk? What am i,brainless? Or would someone tell me,'put on your webcam and take off your top for me my love' and then i would actually go and do it? Again,what am i? Brainless? The points you raised are valid ones,but the kinda child you have should also be taken into consideration. If you have a kid who blows with the wind and is susceptible to peer pressure,then fine,go through her phone. But when you know the kind of child you have,that will determine whether going through her phone is actually the best option,and whether the same result(re-assuring yourself of her safety) could be achieved by simply having an open,honest conversation with her. Oh and by the way,my parents are not the permissive type-they are authoritative. And since i can be verra stubborn,i've have more than enough discipline in my life. There have always been strict rules and restrictions on what i do,where i do it and who i do it with,so it's not like they let me run wild/free or anything.
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by GeorgeD1(m): 5:38pm On Jan 08, 2011
Atreides:

they'll put the bride-price in Ghana must go bag. . Hehe. . Bullion van for the traditional,double decker luxury bus(ekene dili chukwu et al) for the white wedding. .

i'm enjoying the jabs, atreides. i think you and carlosein do fit in neatly! grin
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by Carlosein(m): 10:28am On Jan 10, 2011
^^Don't change the subject. It's about you and t. grin
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by Atreides(f): 10:31am On Jan 10, 2011
Hehe. . Wonder why t has mysteriously vanished. .
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by Carlosein(m): 3:46pm On Jan 10, 2011
trust me, she's around cool
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by gistar(m): 12:19pm On Jan 13, 2011
TO CONFESS IT AINT RIGHT OKAY.BUT WILL YOU BLAME HIM? HE'S JUST LOOKING AFTER HIS PRECIOUS DAUGHTER.TRUST ME NO ONE IS TO BIG TO CHECK ON UPON.

YOU SEEM LIKE A GOOD GAL AND I THINK HE SHUD JUST TRUST YOU COS SOMETIME THATS ALL PARENTS NEED TO DO
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by gistar(m): 12:22pm On Jan 13, 2011
DON'T SWEAT IT THOUGH,[color=#990000][/color] DADDY LOVES AND RESPECT YOUR PRIVACY I AM SURE OF THAT.KEEP BEING GOOD THOUGH,DON'T BLOW IT UP.LOL!!!!
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by GeorgeD1(m): 3:32pm On Jan 15, 2011
Carlosein:

^^Don't change the subject. It's about you and t. grin

are you sure about this? i thought it started with atr and myself, remember? wink

btw, i think tp has moved on. probably she couldn't stand all the jibes and pokes.
or if she is like me, she's probably away attending to more pressing issues of life.
as you know there's more to socializing than spending precious hours on nl! smiley
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by tpia6: 12:40am On Jan 16, 2011
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by GeorgeD1(m): 9:06am On Jan 19, 2011
tpia,
i thought as much. in any case, i guess atriedes and co finally got tired of their tantrums and have decided to let things be. wink
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by DeeJay20: 1:47pm On Jan 20, 2011
Atreides:

Ok so today i was watching tv and then my dad sent me on an errand. I didnt take my phone with me(looking back now,i cannot understand what possessed me to leave it behind),and when i came back i met him sitting down,calmly going through my phone. I dont have anything nasty on my phone-no lurid pics or vids,but i dont delete text messages. Thats the only 'incriminating' thing on my phone. I knew he'd read my messages because he had the 'boy' look(the one where his face gets hard and his eyes turn red if anyone so much as mentions boy). He then began his favorite lecture-the one about my education,my future,blah blah blah,completely glossing over the fact that he invaded my privacy. The worst part is that i dont even have a secret boyfriend. Heck,i dont have any kind of boyfriend,secret or public,and he was lecturing me for something im not even doing. The most painful aspect is that we get along swimmingly,but when it comes to boy mata,he is obsessed with protecting my virtue or worreva,completely overlooking the fact that if i wanted to be rotten i would be rotten,overprotective parent or not. Do you think it was right for him to go through my phone? P.s-Sorry for the long post. I needed to rant.

hmmm you just had to rant, hmm hmmm o.k u pay your own phone bills,
hmmm u dont sound like a Naija girl, where r you? in Nigeria or
in another country ie USA, UK etc

If you are in Nigeria, U should know better than to put this "Unnecessary Post here"

If you are outside Nigeria, I guess you dont understand want true Parental Love and care is,

Please get back to me with the answer before i speak my inner-mind on this issue,
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by olaolabiy: 3:47pm On Feb 18, 2011
Atreides we need you here. I have been talking about you and your brilliance:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-519155.1120.html
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by Atreides(f): 11:57pm On Feb 18, 2011
@ola,i've been real busy today so i'm just coming online. I've posted a reply on that topic.
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by koolchicco: 12:20am On Feb 19, 2011
@OP

Ain't nothing wrong with that as long as it's done in moderation. undecided
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by Atreides(f): 12:59am On Feb 19, 2011
@kc there is a lot wrong with it! I was soo annoyed when it happened!
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by koolchicco: 1:17am On Feb 19, 2011
Atreides:

@kc there is a lot wrong with it! I was soo annoyed when it happened!

Your annoyance doesn't necessarily mean your Dad was wrong though.

Besides, your getting upset is not uncommon. We all do especially when stripped off some lil liberty/privacy.  undecided

BTW, what do u know sef? grin grin You still need to be spoon-fed nurtured properly and also in the right direction. tongue

It's perfectly healthy swerry! wink cool

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by Loveaflame(m): 4:41pm On Feb 19, 2011
Their is nothing wrong there it. It for the benefit of the daughter. Has she anything to hide?
But if the daughter is of mature age and has been well brought up I see no reason for such especially if the lady in question is well above 23
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by Atreides(f): 6:29pm On Feb 19, 2011
@loveflame,go through the the pages of this page first.
@kc,i'm over it now. But i still think him asking me what he wanted to know woulda been better
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by alstacs(m): 4:50am On Apr 17, 2012
harakiri: What is it with kids these days? A parent can't monitor a child anymore all becos of 'privacy' and freedoms? Tomorrow,when that child's life becomes messed up,its still that same child (and everyone else) that will blame the parent for everything. What on earth is wrong with a father checking her phone? What if she is friends with a pEDOph.ile or a raPIst? What if she is giving info 2 ppl dat are potential robbers and kidnappers? What if she's going out with a guy who intends to drug her and ravage her afterwards? I know a lady who is 33,single,a drug addict,with two kids,from a very rich home and till tomorrow. . .she blames her parents (especially her father) for all the disasters in her life. She blames them for not putting a leash on her,for allowing her all the freedom as a teenager and so on. Today,she is a great source of sadness to her parents. Is that what 'civil and western' life is all about? Rubbish!

Very touching and reasonable post. The western mentality will do us more harm than good in some aspects like this.
It is so strange how maturity and adulthood has been reduced to a figure- once you are 18 blah blah.
I recently developed an unhealthy interest in Jerry Springer show and I notice how children suddenly become adults cos of the figure 18 and ruine their lives and break everbody's heart. You see Whitney Houston? Thank God for Moma, maybe she would have died a long time before she did.
I have seen a lot of 21 year olds who I think should still monitored and taken care of by their parents.
A child is a child (at least in Africa) and should be monitored (though not rigidly) by their parents even if they are 25.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Corrections Men Hate From Women! / Woman Loses Triplets Over N4,000 Medication Fee / Woman Divorces Her Husband Of 25 Years For Turning Her Into A Punching Bag

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.