Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,476 members, 7,812,470 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:53 PM

I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim (70490 Views)

Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone / What Is The Cost Of A New SIM Card In Your Area? / Has Anyone Been Able To Buy A New SIM Card Since The Ban Was Lifted? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by talk2aikay(m): 5:58pm On Jul 22, 2020
If you get another SIM what are the chances that you won’t be receiving strange messages?

The line you got is obviously a recycled SIM which is linked to the previous owners account(s).

And as long as you don’t get any funny ideas into your head about the SIM, you’ll be fine.
And for the record, you have no authority to instruct the bank to stop sending messages to a registered phone number for the simple reason that you’re not the account owner. So your complaint will only be a formality.
In any case, I suggest you keep your evidence of purchase and SIM pack safe just in case.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by lansha2006: 5:59pm On Jul 22, 2020
It could be an error on the part of the access bank personnel entering the date or the account owner who gave a wrong digits. Send and online message to access bank. You don't need to go there. Let them understand when you purchased the line and the time you started receiving the alert. They will advise on the best way to approach. This has got nothing to do with the operator now. From your explanation, I can deduce that the owner of the access account opened the account after your purchase. One more thing, ask your parent or trusted fellas if they just opened an account with access bank. I hope this solved it
MegaPlayBoy:
Hello guys, I need help
I keep receiving bank alerts from access bank in the new mtn sim I bought even though I have no access bank account.
The names attached to the alerts are also different and strange
I don't know where this is coming from, should I destroy the sim and get another?

Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by Openbusiness4: 5:59pm On Jul 22, 2020
GTB has been sending me SMS I should reactivate my account, then Pension Pal has been sending me SMS since last year or so, every month about monthly pension contribution. When d message first started coming, it was around 20k I think (can't remember), but now the money don reach over 200k for the SMS. I just delete it anytime the messages come grin. That's how I know d current sim I have na recycled sim. The govt really need to do something about it. No sim number should be recycled. They should give people new combination sim, or once a number is recycled, they should withdraw it across all systems where it recorded (and since this is not possible), they should stop this recycle sim of a thing
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by Titugirl(f): 5:59pm On Jul 22, 2020
MegaPlayBoy:
Hello guys, I need help
I keep receiving bank alerts from access bank in the new mtn sim I bought even though I have no access bank account.
I don't know where this is coming from, should I destroy the sim and get another?

I don't think its anything strange. What I think happened is that the owner of the account mistakenly used your number at access bank to receive alert.

Sometime ago, someone with a number similar to mine called me and told me he was receiving alert from my fidelity bank account and coincidentally I wasn't receiving alerts from that account, so I went to the bank to rectify the error. Then I saw that the number was wrong....my number is 0813... while they sent the alerts to 0803...

Just go to the bank and rectify the error

Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by Cmanforall: 5:59pm On Jul 22, 2020
MegaPlayBoy:
Hello guys, I need help

How much is the alert you receiving? And what is the account balance?
If Less than 1000, please don't disturb NL
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by Omooba77: 5:59pm On Jul 22, 2020
Natebobo2010:
That line belong to someone and tied to the person BVN account.
Our network providers are in Nigeria should stop all this nonsense
It happened to someone I know. Throwaway away that sim card to avoid problems from security issues .

Let him go to MTN and make official complain, incase of tomorrow and he is paraded as robber.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by alizma: 5:59pm On Jul 22, 2020
MegaPlayBoy:
Hello guys, I need help

If you register the SIM in your name, please do not destroy the sim. Go to MTN and lodge your complain and once they send you message to acknowledge your complain, sreenshot and keep it safe.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by DaSailor: 6:00pm On Jul 22, 2020
Please get in touch with the Access bank contact center via Email(contactcenter@accessbankplc.com),Twitter, Facebook or Instagram for the number to be deactivated on the accounts it is linked to.
Please don't be tempted, be patriotic as that is someone's hard earned money and his/her details have been compromised due to recycling by MTN.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by pocohantas(f): 6:01pm On Jul 22, 2020
SenecaTheYonger:

Take it to MTN. If you registered, your face and address is already there. Although it shouldn't be possible to get another person's alert on your sim card, it just further expose the security lapses of Access bank.

How does it expose security lapses of Access bank? A customer gave a number and it is inputed in the system. How is it Access’s fault that the customer changed line and didn’t revert? How biko?!

OP, please contact Access. You don’t even have to go to the bank. Tell them the situation. All they need is the number and they’ll search out the account tied to it and do the needed. It is not so serious...
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 6:01pm On Jul 22, 2020
chatinent:

Bro believe me, anyone who has access to that SIM will suckle it empty, whether MTN or Access Bank.
how will they suck it dry? The sim only receives alert and money can't be withdrawn with phone number. Not even bvn as people make one believe. Safety of ur bvn is so people dont use you to register for things you know nothing about. To get money out of the owners account, you'll need their card details and ATM card pin.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by wizardus: 6:01pm On Jul 22, 2020
sweettease:

Maybe it is even my phone number and my account number cheesy cheesy

Are you dead? grin
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by saajus: 6:02pm On Jul 22, 2020
They do recycle numbers. Please, report to the customer care or Police, so that your case won't be like the guy that bought Buhari's daughter old sim.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by Nobody: 6:02pm On Jul 22, 2020
ruggedtimi:
you can buy airtime from those acct
buy or steal? sad sad
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by charles614: 6:02pm On Jul 22, 2020
You better take the card to the nearest MTN office or be ready to receive strange slap from SARS officers
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by sinkhole: 6:03pm On Jul 22, 2020
The kind of advice here shows that Nigeria is in trouble!
1). Telecom law in Nigeria says if a SIM is not used for more than six months then it could be resold by the telecom company.
2). How do somebody make sure he/she does not buy a recycled SIM? Besides, is buying a recycled (or recycling SIM) illegal?
I got a new MTN SIM one time like that and I started getting calls from some people from the East telling me that I stole there phone with the SIM. I just laughed them and told them to come and meet me in Jos (where I am). I got so annoyed I called MTN CC who told me not to mind them as they refused to welcome back their SIM after it was lost.
My advice is that OP should continue using his SIM without any fear. If anybody tried to harass him then it may be OP's time to make some cool cash from court action. If OP feels uncomfortable using the SIM he may report it to the nearest Police station for documentation.
MTN will not do anything if you report to them because there is actually nothing they could do!
If OP wish to be a good person then he could follow somebody's suggestion of searching on Facebook and contacting the former owner and tell him/her to go and do the right thing (the former owner could be dead!).

1 Like

Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by Finest641(f): 6:04pm On Jul 22, 2020
All you need to do is to call their customer service line( you can Google it) or visit any access Bank branch and lay the complain so they can deactivate the number. You're experiencing this because their customer's new phone number hasn't been updated.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by faithfull18(f): 6:04pm On Jul 22, 2020
dozeman:

After doing so, whether they rectify the issue or not never use the line again, fortunately you haven't used the line for too long. Break it and get a virgin line.

We should also learn to avoid buying recycled line......
You would never know it's recycled until you buy the SIM and register it, then you start getting strange calls and messages.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 6:04pm On Jul 22, 2020
MegaPlayBoy:

Bro, I have been using the sim for a few month now and I have made no such attempt.
I has removed the sim from my phone.
I will leave it and forget all about it
they will still sell it to another person. Might be your relative or a friend. You could stop that from happening. Besides the next sim you buy may be a number linked to a criminal that ditched it and it got sold to you so better stick with this one. Take it to an mtn office and it will be resolved.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by DarkJeddi(m): 6:05pm On Jul 22, 2020
dozeman:

After doing so, whether they rectify the issue or not never use the line again, fortunately you haven't used the line for too long. Break it and get a virgin line.

How is he supposed to know a recycled line?
Is there anywhere it is written on it? shocked
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 6:05pm On Jul 22, 2020
MegaPlayBoy:

What will they do?
Will they collect the sim and keep it
no. They will contact the bank and have them remove it from their data base
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by Nuelonyi: 6:06pm On Jul 22, 2020
Same with I keep receiving firstbank alerts on my glo line for about 2years now grin
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by Raze001: 6:07pm On Jul 22, 2020
Just like him, I have been receiving strange UBA Bank alerts too in one of my Glo sims. I haven't tendered any complaint either. I intend returning it as soon as possible but considering that the number is registered with a business of mine, I would need them to officially and completely make it mine.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by stuffs4me(m): 6:07pm On Jul 22, 2020
MegaPlayBoy:
Hello guys, I need help

OP, talk to a lawyer and follow from there. Let your lawyer write to MTN on your behalf.

Whatever you do let it come through your lawyer.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by winkmart: 6:08pm On Jul 22, 2020
LOL
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by TheAviator: 6:08pm On Jul 22, 2020
MegaPlayBoy:
Hello guys, I need help

You are funny, there is nothing strange about this. You ought to have known without being told that the former user/owner of the SIM linked it to his bank account for bank alerts. Now, the former owner is no longer using the SIM, but the SIM is still linked to his account. So, the alerts you are getting are the former owner's bank alerts. This is not a problem. But if you don't like it, you can ask the bank to disconnect the SIM from the former owner's account since you are now the owner.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 6:08pm On Jul 22, 2020
dozeman:

how do you want to know what's recycled? Its not like they'd tell you. Besides ditching it for another sim he might end buying a sim belonging to a wanted person that ditched it the it got recycled.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by millionboi2: 6:08pm On Jul 22, 2020
MegaPlayBoy:

Its a relatively new sim, can I destroy it
I don't want Trouble
hahahaha
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by sinkhole: 6:10pm On Jul 22, 2020
INDUSTRIALFAN:
no. They will contact the bank and have them remove it from their data base
do you mean telecom company will contact bank? That is impossible!
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by lekki1444: 6:10pm On Jul 22, 2020
oga done receive alert. wetin you chop remain for awon boys. we remain ever loyal grin grin grin grin
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by millionboi2: 6:10pm On Jul 22, 2020
MegaPlayBoy:

Its a relatively new sim, can I destroy it
I don't want Trouble
it is MTN property,return to them,let Dem remove ur details from it
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by chatinent: 6:10pm On Jul 22, 2020
INDUSTRIALFAN:
how will they suck it dry? The sim only receives alert and money can't be withdrawn with phone number. Not even bvn as people make one believe. Safety of ur bvn is so people dont use you to register for things you know nothing about. To get money out of the owners account, you'll need their card details and ATM card pin.
Permit me to tutor you. A SIM for a bank account receiving alerts can be drained. In the simplest form, the money can be moved to another account using USSD codes, or even airtime purchases. When it gets to an official like MTN or the Banker's bank, it's the worst. A fraudulent staff can move the whole money and clear logs or implicate sb else. This is experience chapter one verse two. There are other ways too but the one above is the simplest.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nigerian Awake Someone Somewhere Is Monitoring Your Calls. Photo Proof / Infinix Zero Complaint Thread / FCMB Staff Dies Using Phone's Torch To Operate Generator (Graphic Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.