Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,297 members, 7,815,522 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:52 PM

George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! (17696 Views)

Tears! Still Thinking About This Pretty Girl Facing Death Penalty In China. Pics / Buhari Denies Claims That He Has Plans To Islamize Nigeria When Elected / NIGERIA: When Will The Shedding Of Innocent Blood Stopped (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Nobody: 12:02am On Mar 06, 2011
flawed indeed unless its just for fun.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Nobody: 12:02am On Mar 06, 2011
bk.babe97y:

And, dont forget that the underlying theme of the book was also corruption!

That is correct. More about corruption than ideology. I wouldn't say it was about ideology at all.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bkbabe97y(m): 12:04am On Mar 06, 2011
cap28:

Buhari as Trotsky (snowball) - i dont think so - in as much as Buhari may be less corrupt than the likes of GEJ, obj and co he[b] has never sought to overthrow the ruling elite[/b] and is not a revolutionary, that makes him a member of the ruling elite.

1. If Gen.Buhari has "never sought to overthrow the ruling elite", what do you call his '83 coup?

2. You say he's a "member of the ruling elite", is that in dispute? What was Snowball? What are the Pigs? Did I not label all of them, good or bad (depending on ur views), as members of the ruling elite?

I really hope you dont think of reproducing in the future!
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by SEFAGO(m): 12:04am On Mar 06, 2011
True My bad. But the framework for that corruption was that of communism while that for Nigeria is a mixture of other things one of them being the exploitation of ethnocentrism and religious fanaticism.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bkbabe97y(m): 12:05am On Mar 06, 2011
DRlulu:

flawed indeed unless its just for fun.

No! Not fun at all!

Open ur damn mind!!!
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by ekubear1: 12:09am On Mar 06, 2011
Let's not blame low iq. . . just lack of creativity and imagination. And how many Nigerians read world-class newspapers like the NY Times, where analogies and parallels like this are par for the course?
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bkbabe97y(m): 12:11am On Mar 06, 2011
SEFAGO:

True My bad. But the framework for that corruption was that of communism while that for Nigeria is a mixture of other things one of them being the exploitation of ethnocentrism and religious fanaticism.

Yeah, but my view is that, like Animal Farm, Nigeria is being run by a cabal that are no different from the one they fought out of power! Indeed, in Nigeria's case, they chased themselves "Out into" Power! Get it?

They all pretend they chased the military out, but in reality, all they did was discard the Military Uniform for civilian clothing; just like the pigs. Corruption reigns, absolutely! Theres utter inequality! Tribalism (Dogs, Pigs and Man on one side, the sheep, hens, horses and co on the other. Even the birds are marginalized by both groups). . . . If the rest of these dudes are so blind and immature that they cant open up they minds to "see" and make up analogies for themselves. . . . . I can only say, maybe we do like GEJ and pray to God cause hope seems to be fading fast!
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by cap28: 12:15am On Mar 06, 2011
SEFAGO:

Low IQ is definitely a major problem in Nigeria  grin

@cap28
There is something in literauture called universalism of a body of work. This universalism indicates that some works are so timeless that they could find application and meaning to any society and to any time. Animal farm is one of those books. When drawing an analogy it is not required that the characters should be fit for fit in characteristics, I think its fairly ok, if there are some general similarities in the characteristics and ideologies of constructed character parallels.

The fact that most people are seeking a match for match parallel between the book (one written to satire communism) and the Nigerian situation (one of deep rot and corruption) is quite to put it bluntly daft.

Yes i would agree with you on that because you are the living embodiment of it.

first of all a literary work can only have a universal appeal if it deals with basic themes which apply to ALL people irrespective of race, culture language etc for example themes like, love, courage, hatred, greed.

Animal Farm does not fit into that mode it is a thinly disguised account of Stalin's brutal dictatorial regime  - it deals with a specific issue - the failure of marxism.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bkbabe97y(m): 12:19am On Mar 06, 2011
cap28:

first of all a literary work can only have a universal appeal if it deals with basic themes which apply to ALL people irrespective of race, culture language etc for example themes like, love, courage, hatred, greed.

Animal Farm does not fit into that mode it is a thinly disguised account of Stalin's brutal dictatorial regime  - it deals with a specific issue - the failure of marxism.

Wooow!

Anyways, dude, we hear you!

Youre Intelligent!

Youre the big kahuna!

Youre the only one that understands the book and only your analogies rule. . . .

COULD YOU PLEASE NOW LEAVE THIS THREAD FOR US TO DISCUSS ISSUES? YOU CAN START A SEPERATE ONE ON "LITERARY WORK" IF YOU SO WISH!

Geez!
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Nobody: 12:23am On Mar 06, 2011
bk.babe97y:

No! Not fun at all!

Open your damn mind!!!

its flawed ok , no historian or sociologist will buy this but then this is nairaland anything goes
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by EzeUche2(m): 12:23am On Mar 06, 2011
cap28:

You are correct sir.

Animal Farm could be likened China as well. I see a lot of similarities. Old Major could be likened to Mao Zedong. And now look at China. They are moving into a capitalistic direction, in which the similarities between the West and China are growing.

Just like the similarities between the pigs and humans.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bkbabe97y(m): 12:23am On Mar 06, 2011
cap28:

So, Corruption, Greed, Nepotism, tribalism, abuse of power, violation of human rights (all of which the book discusses) do not fit into this "theme" of urs?

Man, go kill urself. . . .

You just, annoyingly, always try to prove your intelligence, but always end up sounding like a nutcase!
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by ekubear1: 12:24am On Mar 06, 2011
bk.babe97y:

Yeah, but my view is that, like Animal Farm, Nigeria is being run by a cabal that are no different from the one they fought out of power! Indeed, in Nigeria's case, they chased themselves "Out into" Power! Get it?

They all pretend they chased the military out, but in reality, all they did was discard the Military Uniform for civilian clothing; just like the pigs.
This in a nutshell is why the Animal Farm analogy is so apt.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by saintneo(m): 12:25am On Mar 06, 2011
Alj Uche:

guy what do you know

first of all herbert was a yoruba man although he was been british
you don't know Herbert Macaulay
Alj Uche:

secondly awolowo is one of the greatest men that even lived whether you like it or not
it's not about greatness, it's nationalism/unification
Alj Uche:

go and ask even white people adimtted to it

a great man who's name will live on so long as there are humans on earth tongue

if you no like am go jump for lake chad
argumentum rubbishum
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by EzeUche2(m): 12:25am On Mar 06, 2011
Lets clap for bk.bastardo though.

He is finally trying to use his brain for once.  grin

Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by cap28: 12:26am On Mar 06, 2011
bk.babe97y:

1. If Gen.Buhari has "never sought to overthrow the ruling elite", what do you call his '83 coup?

2. You say he's a "member of the ruling elite", is that in dispute? What was Snowball? What are the Pigs? Did I not label all of them, good or bad (depending on your views), as members of the ruling elite?

I really hope you dont think of reproducing in the future!

You are an example of why it is important for people to stay in school, first of all you have the reading and comprehension ability of a 2 year old , therefore to attempt to even discuss and analyse a work as complex as animal farm is like expecting a mentally handicapped 2 year old to analyse Das Kapital, YOU ARE A FUNCTIONAL ILLITERATE, LEAVE INTELLECTUAL DISCUSSIONS TO YOUR BETTERS AND CONCENTRATE ON WHAT YOU KNOW BEST GANGSTA RAP AND GANG BANGING.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bkbabe97y(m): 12:28am On Mar 06, 2011
eku_bear:

This in a nutshell is why the Animal Farm analogy is so apt.

On some real ish, if EzeUche, cap28, and Drlulu are the likes of those who we hope will make Nigeria, and the black race, great. . . . I think we'll be waiting for eternity!
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bkbabe97y(m): 12:32am On Mar 06, 2011
cap28:

You are an example of why it is important for people to stay in school, first of all you have the reading and comprehension ability of a 2 year old , therefore to attempt to even discuss and analyse a work as complex as animal farm is like expecting a mentally handicapped 2 year old to analyse Das Kapital, YOU ARE A FUNCTIONAL ILLITERATE, LEAVE INTELLECTUAL DISCUSSIONS TO YOUR BETTERS AND CONCENTRATE ON WHAT YOU KNOW BEST GANGSTA RAP AND GANG BANGING.  

And you, the literate Phd holder, cannot even write a proper sentence!

Why are your commas misplaced? Ive never seen so many commas in one sentence; EVER!!!

Where are your full stops?

How come your apostrophe went on an unscheduled hiatus?

Man, get the fuxck outta here. . . . .
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by EzeUche2(m): 12:33am On Mar 06, 2011
^^^

What is your problem with correcting others in how they write in English?

You are not someone who is known to use "proper" English so get out of here with that nonsense.

And for most people on Nairaland, English is not our first language.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Katsumoto: 12:34am On Mar 06, 2011
SEFAGO:

Low IQ is definitely a major problem in Nigeria  grin

@cap28
There is something in literauture called universalism of a body of work. This universalism indicates that some works are so timeless that they could find application and meaning to any society and to any time. Animal farm is one of those books. When drawing an analogy it is not required that the characters should be fit for fit in characteristics, I think its fairly ok, if there are some general similarities in the characteristics and ideologies of constructed character parallels.

The fact that most people are seeking a match for match parallel between the book (one written to satire communism) and the Nigerian situation (one of deep rot and corruption) is quite to put it bluntly daft.

I couldn't have said it better.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bkbabe97y(m): 12:35am On Mar 06, 2011
EzeUche_:

^^^

You are not someone who is known to use "proper" English so get out of here with that nonsense.

And for most people on Nairaland, English is not our first language.

I guess its safe to say the "Sheep" have come out!

". . . .they'll fight what they dont know. Shout down others just because they feel they are required to"

Who says Animal Farm does not fit into the life of Nigerians?!
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by SEFAGO(m): 12:40am On Mar 06, 2011

You have reduced the diverse themes in animal farm into one thesis. That is your underlying and fallacious assumption. Moreover, what drove marxism if not the greed of the Russian Monarchy? To build upon his general criticsm of marxism, Orwell had to sketch characters that represented all the vices that plague human kind, vices of greed, of hatred, of group think (something that is common in all forms of government from democracy all the way to fascism and monarchy). Thats is where the universality of literature comes from and that is why they are termed the humanities because they are reflection of human behavior both the good, the bad and the ugly.

Also its not "thinly disguised"- the only reason it was easy to interpret as a cirticism of marxism was because it was written during that era and because Orwell was very vocal about his opinion of Stalin's Government. If Orwell had lived in the 20th century, his work could easily have been paralleled towards the imperialism and paternalism of first world nations towards developing nations by an astute observer.

Try again. I am seriously disappointed.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Katsumoto: 12:41am On Mar 06, 2011
cap28:

You will make more sense by not only telling us why you disagree with the write-up but by also giving a more apt analogy. That is the essence of discourse. For instance, I also wanted to disagree with the assigned character for Moses the Raven but after BkBabe explained he chose Nigerians in diaspora, I had to agree, even though that character could quite easily have been Nigerian pastors as suggested by someone else.

You can disagree with someone intellectually without the condescending 'if you don't see it my way, then you are not intelligent' attitude. Just state your case.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bkbabe97y(m): 12:43am On Mar 06, 2011
EzeUche_:

^^^

Freaking hypocrite!

Were you blind to the below. . . . .?

cap28:

Yup! He hits me but I shouldnt reply!

Reminds me of some people's take on the events of Jan.'66!
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by cap28: 12:47am On Mar 06, 2011
bkbabe you are not intellectually equipped to analyse or discuss animal farm because you have no understanding or knowledge of world history, do you know anything about marxist leninism? No

do you know anything about the russian revolution? No

do you know anything about trotskyism versus stalinism? no

how then can anyone in their right mind have a meaningful discussion with you about the book?

If you have not understood the book (which i know  you have never read) where is your analysis coming from, where is your well thought out argument coming from?

let me guess - OUT OF YOUR BACKSIDE - lets face it man you are an anti- intellectual philistine - go and look it up cos i know you don't know what it means.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Nobody: 12:49am On Mar 06, 2011
Did anyone read the title on the front page? Ouch!!
Mukina was having her laugh with this one grin grin grin lol
Naughty gyal!
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bkbabe97y(m): 12:52am On Mar 06, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Naughty gyal!

Oh, yeah I did see it!

Lol.

You do know in life, imbe*ciles have to exist for intellectuals to flourish?

So, no surprises there. . . . .
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Nobody: 12:53am On Mar 06, 2011
bk.babe97y:

Oh, yeah I did see it!

Lol.

You do know in life, imbe*ciles have to exist for intellectuals to flourish?

So, no surprises there. . . . .

LOL Dont insult my wife abeg lol
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Nobody: 12:54am On Mar 06, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Naughty gyal!

Why must she insert her opinion in the title, when she can join the discussion and make her views known.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by SEFAGO(m): 12:55am On Mar 06, 2011

LOL Dont insult my wife abeg lol

^ Hmm interesting maybe a menage a trois is in order, one of my to do list before I leave this earth- whats your is mine too.

Let me check her pictures out first.

Oh yeah I now remember  lipsrsealed, ahh I would have to put our menage a trois in abeyance
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by EzeUche2(m): 12:56am On Mar 06, 2011
Aigbofa:

Why must she insert her opinion in the title, when she can join the discussion and make her views known.

Because like most people who have read the book, we know how flawed this analogy is by bk.babe.

Get over it.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bkbabe97y(m): 12:57am On Mar 06, 2011
cap28:

bkbabe you are not intellectually equipped to analyse or discuss animal farm because you have no understanding or knowledge of world history, do you know anything about marxist leninism? No

do you know anything about the russian revolution? No

do you know anything about trotskyism versus stalinism? no

how then can anyone in their right mind have a meaningful discussion with you about the book?

If you have not understood the book (which i know  you have never read) where is your analysis coming from, where is your well thought out argument coming from?

let me guess - OUT OF YOUR BACKSIDE - lets face it man you are an anti- intellectual philistine - go and look it up cos i know you don't know what it means.

ROFLMAO!!!

Dude, u have a score to settle, Me v Cap28. . . and once again YOUVE FAILED!!!

Again, you succeeded in looking like a mo>ron! So, I guess we'll be fighting forever, cus u'll always try to get even and I'll always crush u!

Know what? Show ur mother ur posts (dont tell her u wrote them), the ASK HER WHAT SHE THINKS OF THE AUTHOR.

Dont kill urself afterwards. . . . actually if u can, do so. U'll be doing ur part for mankind!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Photos From The Burial Of Ganduje's Mother In Kano / Boko Haram Victim, Ali Ahmadu Returns From UAE After Surgery (Photos) / Recognising Nnamdi Kanu Is Rewarding Bad Behaviour — ACF

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.