Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,066 members, 7,810,986 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:03 PM

The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas (48014 Views)

The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... / Ethiopia-the Birth Of Nations-the Origin Of The Green, Yellow And Red Flag! / The Origin Of The Igbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Olu317(m): 10:05am On Jun 14, 2018
MetaPhysical:

If you advocate that Yoruba beginning is indigenous then bring us these truths using indigenous markers to tag the different characters of language, arts, rites, priesthood, deities, and so on sourced directly from the immediate environment. This means each and all of the aspects you use or examine cannot have any foreign attributes to them. If you cannot isolate an indigenous character from a foreign attribute then you will need to account for its foreign root.

C'mon, its your turn to give us your side of the truths.
You really did great with such research you have done on Yoruba. First, Ogun(human) in Yoruba history was said to be a great warrior and a descendant of Odudua,right? Funny enough, the same name appeared in Middle East account because the etymology of ‘Og’ in Middle East is with association to a warriors of the Rephaim people, according to a researcher called, Chaim Rabin , who suggested, something similar to the South Semitic ǵwg , meaning ‘man’ or ‘man of valour. The same with Yoruba meaning of Ogun. Let me quickly, inform again that Western researchers do not realise that the correct meaning of Jerusalem, is with ancient Yoruba etymology of combination of three compound words— Ile Orisa mi / Ule Ursa m(i), ( land/ of my God/s or the land I worship my God/ ancestors ) which is similar to its earliest pronunciation ,which is Ursalim.The first sure reference to the city is in the Amarna Letters, an archive of correspondence discovered in Upper Egypt dating from the 14th century BCE, about 2,700 years ago. In those letters, between Egypt and their administrators in Canaan (which Egypt controlled at the time), the name is rendered as "Ursalim". But what does the name mean? According to their study, "Ursalim" is most likely a compound of two words(not true but three compound words) in Western Semitic (a prehistoric language that would later birth Hebrew, Aramaic, Arabic, Ethiopic and more): the verb yaru (“to establish”) and the name Shalim (or Salem) was the Canaanite god of dusk, sunset, and the end of the day, also spelled Shalim. Many scholars believe that his name is preserved in the name of the city.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by kayfra: 1:23pm On Jun 14, 2018
Stop reverse engineering out history to fit into some semitic nonsense. We have DNA that shows most Yorubas ancestors reverse migrated back into the African continent. But, it's just a tiny fraction of our DNA. We are indigenous Africans for all intents and purposes.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Nobody: 9:45am On Jun 16, 2018
Olu317,

Some scholars are suggesting that Semitic originated in Ethiopia. If all scholars accept this in the future, will you still continue to believe that Yoruba or pre-Yoruba came from Middle East?

2 Likes

Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by 9jakool: 9:55am On Jun 16, 2018
Hati13:
Olu317,

Some scholars are suggesting that Semitic originated in Ethiopia. If all scholars accept this in the future, will you still continue to believe that Yoruba or pre-Yoruba came from Middle East?

Stop entertaining him. He's delusional! The person who wrote this thread claimed that he himself is not a historian and as you can see the fake myth is debunked by other Yorubas.

1 Like

Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Olu317(m): 10:15am On Jun 16, 2018
Hati13:
Olu317,

Suggestion isn't the same as etymology and other linkable evidence. What is more important is to find the melting point. And I have given information on the advent of Yoruba language that's not in existence in West Africa. I stil hold to my assertion to semitic origin of yoruba or ancient Hebrew language was the Yoruba language. This language left middle East due to slavery and destruction of Jerusalem and Israel as a whole. Further more Yoruba people have been studied for decades by Western authors and funny enough studies is still being carried out on this ethnicity to ascertain why everything about Yoruba looked alien to Africa. Again, Yoruba blood sample is among the ones used to identify DNA Admixture blood related humanoid. Let me ask you another word, that is eternal within Yoruba language. Alujonu/Aljonu is a Yoruba word for spirit . And this word is a Semitic word that exist in Yoruba land and it didn't come to Yoruba lexicon as a result of religion of christainity or islam but existed thousands of years in Yoruba land. In Yoruba land father is Ba/ Aba/Uba and thunder mean (Àra). These words survived thousands of years among the users of the words. And these two words have Semitic link, with same meaning. There are other words too.
Kindly inform what father and thunder are in Ethiopia language and campare?
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Olu317(m): 10:29am On Jun 16, 2018
@Hati13, I am not interested in engaging some set people who engage in controversial statement. If you are really interested in Yoruba history ,then you can find time to dissect the set of people that claimed Yoruba on this platform shy away from the truth or some who have no knowledge of human and migratory theory. I am willing to help out on it. First, I am sure, you know the nosal feature of a Ham? Does this nose looked like core black man? I am also sure , you can identify a moon/ Sun like on a crown? Can anyone find anything close to this in West Africa?
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Olu317(m): 10:35am On Jun 16, 2018
@Hati13, I am not interested in engaging some set people who engage in controversial statement. If you are really interested in Yoruba history ,then you can find time to dissect and understudy the set of people that formed ethnicity.Many atimes some people on this platform who have no true knowledge of tradition of one's lineage shy away from the truth or are too unstudious to realise ,human beings were product of same link but differed when religion set and method to connect to God manifest,so also migratory theory of people either as a reason for greener pasture or war . I am willing to help out on it. First, I am sure, you know the nosal feature of a Ham? Does these NOSAL Feature, EAR feature looked like core black man? I am also sure , you can identify a moon/ Sun like on a crown? Can you see it? There is nothing close to this in West Africa? Then compare with these Pharaoh's NOSE AND EAR....

Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Olu317(m): 3:24pm On Jun 16, 2018
Mulatto Yorubas

Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by 12salim(m): 2:46pm On Jun 17, 2018
Hati13:
Olu317,

It's not worth talking sense here walal. Some of the nigerians here are not good in their heads and like to say shit like this ( that they came from the middle east). If you guys just knew how bad the arabs ( in general) treat us africans,you wouldn't say this kind of shit.

1 Like

Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Olu317(m): 4:08pm On Jun 17, 2018
12salim:

It's not worth talking sense here walal. Some of the nigerians here are not good in their heads and like to say shit like this ( that they came from the middle east). If you guys just knew how bad the arabs ( in general) treat us africans,you wouldn't say this kind of shit.
Hmmmmm, well, maltreatment isn't the basis of this thread but humans historical account and possible migration. At every time in centuries, one group or another, dominates the world and not new. Even you, can be an interbred man or woman. And we all have our ancestors account. Let digress a little. Do you know Tee Mac father was a White man? Do you know, Ramsey Noah's father was from Middle East(Israel axis)? , Do you know one of the daughter of Babatunde Idiagbon is married to a Caucasian? The point, here is that people have right to claim their ancestry. Do you know Bob Marley's father was a white Irish man? Google and learn.I am a human being and not by colour. I stand exceptional amongst equal. This is my ancestors strength and till infinity, so shall we be.

2 Likes

Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by OlaoChi: 7:27pm On Jun 17, 2018
Olu317:
@Hati13, I am not interested in engaging some set people who engage in controversial statement. If you are really interested in Yoruba history ,then you can find time to dissect the set of people that claimed Yoruba on this platform shy away from the truth or some who have no knowledge of human and migratory theory. I am willing to help out on it. First, I am sure, you know the nosal feature of a Ham? Does this nose looked like core black man? I am also sure , you can identify a moon/ Sun like on a crown? Can anyone find anything close to this in West Africa?

The fact that you use "ham" as a racial description makes you a pseudohistorian. Get a life, you don't make any proper research so don't come here claiming what you don't have knowledge of
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by OlaoChi: 7:29pm On Jun 17, 2018
Olu317:
Hmmmmm, well, maltreatment isn't the basis of this thread but humans historical account and possible migration. At every time in centuries, one group or another, dominates the world and not new. Even you, can be an interbred man or woman. And we all have our ancestors account. Let digress a little. Do you know Tee Mac father was a White man? Do you know, Ramsey Noah's father was from Middle East(Israel axis)? , Do you know one of the daughter of Babatunde Idiagbon is married to a Caucasian? The point, here is that people have right to claim their ancestry. Do you know Bob Marley's father was a white Irish man? Google and learn.I am a human being and not by colour. I stand exceptional amongst equal. This is my ancestors strength and till infinity, so shall we be.
. If that's the case you could limit your "tracing ancestry" to yourself not the entire Yorubas

1 Like

Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Olu317(m): 8:39pm On Jun 17, 2018
OlaoChi:
. If that's the case you could limit your "tracing ancestry" to yourself not the entire Yorubas
You see, I chose to respond to you because, I thought you are mild and do have a mature mind but I was wrong because, you are ignorant of history. Kindly go to archives in different yorubaland and do research on people's settlement and your eyes will be opened to a lot of things.Visit Ilorin and read more about the history of Yoruba Ilorin. I doubt if you had taken time to look at the different African Archives, from Arabic speaking account to the French speaking people ? Perhaps you would had had encountered and m acknowledged migration of people , which wouldnt make Yoruba exception. Anyway , I need no soothsayer nor a pastor to inform me about my ancestry. Why such statement Your ‘tracing ancestry ? As ignorant as you are and will ever be grin is that you have proved that,you are a young person,whose knowlwdge is heavily shrewd in Yoruba history for you not to comprehend,the reason yorubas are held in high esteem by western researchers. Well, past Ooni visited Brazil decades ago and the day he arrived, rain fell,like no other day,after a drought grin and the present Ooni Adeyeye Ogunwusi has been given the wisdom to continue in that regard. Am sure you saw the Yoruba mulattoes,who were few 100s years ago exported to Americas ? So keep such advice to yourself because I dont need it. After, all ,you are a product of Ibo and Yoruba parentage. Am I wrong?correct me. And nobody can question you for such, because you did identify with both, right? As a being, your path in this life is before you, so follow up in it and do yourself a great deal of being happy. I'm sure, you have knowledge about me and my historical ancestry,even if we never met,which can't happen. So, I have Right like the Western researchers and African researchers who had dug and still doing a lot of digging into the past and unravel the mystery of the thickness of Yoruba tradition. After, all we( Yorubas) are not aliens. There are archeological excavation/work being done from time to time at ILEIFE and Osugbo site at Epe–Ijebu axis, which you can peruse through an archeological link on the web,from Nigeria,which confirmed that digging into the past is a determinant factor of shaping the future. Lastly, if you have strong evidence of West African lexicons, to counter/nullify similar semitic language, Art ,ancient building pattern ,etc ,that are wholly yorubas,then come up with such evidence, rather than this comment. At least ,proof to me that Yoruba is older than Igboukwu or Nok Empire. And I will rest my case.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Olu317(m): 8:51pm On Jun 17, 2018
OlaoChi:

The fact that you use "ham" as a racial description makes you a pseudohistorian. Get a life, you don't make any proper research so don't come here claiming what you don't have knowledge of
grin I didn't get to read this earlier, I would not have reply you in anyway because, you are inconsequential to the subject matter. Anyway, thanks for being a ‘history grin professor', and ham-hamitic hypothesis has nothing to do with your opinion. Beside, if people see you as having answers to their questions, you would have been consulted but you practically aren't needed.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Nobody: 10:31pm On Jun 17, 2018
Olu317,

There might be DNA and Semitic language influences on Yoruba in ancient time but all concrete evidences are telling that Yoruba language is Niger-Congo (not ancient Hebrew) and Yoruba gene is for large part to be similar with other West Africans. The nose in the picture might be native. Africa house almost all the features in the world.

There is no Ethiopian language. If you mean in Amharic, father is “abat” and thunder “negodegwade”.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Nobody: 10:43pm On Jun 17, 2018
12salim:

Walal, true about the discrimination (including Israel). I hate it when I sometimes read Ethiopians saying they are related with them because (1) we aren’t related and (2) our Semitic languages are way older than theirs.

1 Like

Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Nobody: 10:45pm On Jun 17, 2018
9jakool:

Stop entertaining him. He's delusional! The person who wrote this thread claimed that he himself is not a historian and as you can see the fake myth is debunked by other Yorubas.
Yeah I know most Yoruba to disagree with the claims.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Olu317(m): 11:16pm On Jun 17, 2018
Hati13:
Olu317,

There might be DNA and Semitic language influences on Yoruba in ancient time but all concrete evidences are telling that Yoruba language is Niger-Congo (not ancient Hebrew) and Yoruba gene is for large part to be similar with other West Africans. The nose in the picture might be native. Africa house almost all the features in the world.

There is no Ethiopian language. If you mean in Amharic, father is “abat” and thunder “negodegwade”.
Sorry About the mixup with Ethiopia instead of Amharic. If you say Semitic language had influenced Yoruba's, but at what time in history did such happened? In as much as I know that Afro–Asiatic gave birth to ancient Hebrew language but the language developed separately and eventually became non existence,which is because Hebrew died out as a vernacular language somewhere between 200 and 400 CE, declining after the Bar Kokhba revolt of 132–136 CE, which devastated the population of Judea . After the exile Hebrew became restricted to
liturgical use. And in 19th—20th century, modern Hebrew developed.So, how sure are you about modern Hebrew being the authentic Hebrew language? If your claims that Semitic influence Yoruba language, how then did such happened? Many words existed in Yoruba lexicons, which weren't brought through migration, but from ancestors language,which has been eternal with Yorubas. And the Niger Congo grouped that Yorubas are grouped with came into existence in the 20th century. So, I don't have a problem with grouping but how many of those language are 70% related to Yoruba ancient lexicon? Non except Yoruba related people/enclaves only.
You see, fact and archeological researches don't lie. There are evidences that Yorubas were scientists in the ancient times,who were well vast in herbology, animal husbandary, art work, manufacturing of beads, glass and administration .Every discovery in Yoruba land is always for the western eyes to behold. The beads discovered is over a 1000 years old and unequal with any in Africa. The Alloy head dug out at a site , looked like a prototype from Iraq's city,which had been in existence since 3000BC. Can you claim, Yoruba borrowed such Art work or influence by the middle Eastern people? How and where did they met for such knowledge acquisition to be transferred? There is what is called Ephod( oracle) in the Christian Bible, which Hebrew consult to enquire from Christian God and Yoruba have IFA, which is the Oracle used to ask for guidance etc from God . How do these word look similar and purpose of the Oracle similar?
If Amharic that are closer to Middle East, don't call father ‘Ba', then, you should know that ,something about Yoruba is unique and that more research need be done continuously to unravel the mystery of yorubas.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Nobody: 12:51am On Jun 18, 2018
Olu317:
Sorry About the mixup with Ethiopia instead of Amharic. If you say Semitic language had influenced Yoruba's, but at what time in history did such happened? In as much as I know that Afro–Asiatic gave birth to ancient Hebrew language but the language developed separately and eventually became non existence,which is because Hebrew died out as a vernacular language somewhere between 200 and 400 CE, declining after the Bar Kokhba revolt of 132–136 CE, which devastated the population of Judea . After the exile Hebrew became restricted to
liturgical use. And in 19th—20th century, modern Hebrew developed.So, how sure are you about modern Hebrew being the authentic Hebrew language? If your claims that Semitic influence Yoruba language, how then did such happened? Many words existed in Yoruba lexicons, which weren't brought through migration, but from ancestors language,which has been eternal with Yorubas. And the Niger Congo grouped that Yorubas are grouped with came into existence in the 20th century. So, I don't have a problem with grouping but how many of those language are 70% related to Yoruba ancient lexicon? Non except Yoruba related people/enclaves only.
You see, fact and archeological researches don't lie. There are evidences that Yorubas were scientists in the ancient times,who were well vast in herbology, animal husbandary, art work, manufacturing of beads, glass and administration .Every discovery in Yoruba land is always for the western eyes to behold. The beads discovered is over a 1000 years old and unequal with any in Africa. The Alloy head dug out at a site , looked like a prototype from Iraq's city,which had been in existence since 3000BC. Can you claim, Yoruba borrowed such Art work or influence by the middle Eastern people? How and where did they met for such knowledge acquisition to be transferred? There is what is called Ephod( oracle) in the Christian Bible, which Hebrew consult to enquire from Christian God and Yoruba have IFA, which is the Oracle used to ask for guidance etc from God . How do these word look similar and purpose of the Oracle similar?
If you Amharic that are closer to Middle East, don't call father ‘Ba', then, you should know that ,something about Yoruba is unique and that more research need be done continuously to unravel the mystery of yorubas.
I said Semitic MIGHT have influenced Yoruba in ancient times because you said so. If you accept Yoruba being grouped under Niger-Congo, then you must also accept that Yoruba had a common ancestry with other Niger-Congo speakers.

Wouldn’t Yoruba past achievements solely be their own and some of the similarities with Iraq and Egypt just coincidence?

Father in Amharic can also be called “Aba”.“
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by BabaRamota1980: 1:44am On Jun 18, 2018
Hati13:
Olu317,

Emperor Selasie and his bloodline are acknowledged to be cross-breed between an Israelite Solomon and Negroid Sheba. Correct?

Now, if you look at all the available pictures on record of Solomonic dynasty in Ethiopia you will notice tha their features are the normal with the ordinary Ethiopic features.

Can it then be said that any Ethiopian with features like the King's are also cross-breeds between children of Israel and African women?

If its not possible that millions, in fact over 80percent of population are results of cross-breeds, it should logically not become too hard to realize that childrens of Israel and Ethiopians do not look disimilar. If they did the King's features will not follow the common attributes. Correct?
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by BabaRamota1980: 1:47am On Jun 18, 2018
Hati13:

Yeah I know most Yoruba to disagree with the claims.

If i were you I wouldnt say this.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by BabaRamota1980: 2:43am On Jun 18, 2018
Hati13:

I said Semitic MIGHT have influenced Yoruba in ancient times because you said so. If you accept Yoruba being grouped under Niger-Congo, then you must also accept that Yoruba had a common ancestry with other Niger-Congo speakers.

Wouldn’t Yoruba past achievements solely be their own and some of the similarities with Iraq and Egypt just coincidence?

There are two civilizations in Yorubaland.

1. Indigeneous Ugbo, who were remnants of a NOK people in the Niger/Benue valley.

2. Foreigner Yoruba, who with Gobir, Nupe, Kanuri, Habe groups brought in the dynastic sovereingties from Nile valley/Canaan/Arabia. They departed their homeland back when idol worshipping was the mainstream spiritual practice of Arabia and Nile valley.

The language grouping of Niger Congo is recognition of the indigeneous NOK groups.

Yoruba, the language of the foreigners as well their Orishas continue to evolve but refuses to die.

Language of the foreigner Yoruba was ancient Hebrew. It assmilated the Ugbo Kwa tongue, lost some its own structures but remained integral.

Words from Semitic and Arabic are found in it.

Influence of religion from a foreign land leave footprints in its track. If you follow outward from Yoruba tracking introduction of Islam into Yorubaland you will head West to Mali. Between Yorubaland to Mali you are passing through Gobir, Songhai and then Mali. In modern day geopolitical, that is Republic of Benin, Burkina Faso, Mali. We have not been able to find in their native languages a cognitive matching that wich Yoruba posess in relation to Arabic. So how do we find a match in name and meaning between Yoruba and Arabic but those through whom Islam came to us dont have it?

We did not get Islam from Hausa or Fulani....but assuming due to cohabitation some of their practices rubbed off. We put the Hausa language to test and it does not have these Arabic words in its native language either.

So imagine that you throw pebble into a stream. Ripples flow outward and the occurence of disturbance at the water surface is the effect of energy displacement in the adjacent surface area, which is cascaded upstream to downstream, or downstream to upstream. If we witness that a section of the surface remains still while areas upstream and downstream from it are all rippling, it calls for inspection to see what is underlying that non-conformity to the rules of motion and energy.

Yoruba is that still surface, unbothered by changes in the assimilation of Arabic into Islamic practicing areas around it...but nonetheless retaining its authenticity with meaning and features in the Arabic version used to perform Islamic rites in Mecca.

This is a civilization that left Arabia before Islam was born. So why are Islamic rites shared between Mecca and Yoruba?

They call blacks intellectually lazy. We are not....we just refuse to give up on our fears and biases.

Islam is a fear for some Yorubas and so they deny evidences staring them in face about Yoruba. As much they try to suppress it, refuses to be buried.

Yoruba rites donated to Islamic rites, not the other way around. Yoruba ought to be saying we gave birth to Islam...but fear has gripped peoples mind and they run away from making claims rightfully owned.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by GodSon34(m): 8:26am On Jun 18, 2018
Abeg Yoruba people should go and sit down.
Yoruba only applies to people of Oyo origin. Yoruba people are descendants of ancient Egyptians. Egba and Ijebu are not Yoruba
Ile-Ife is not your origin. Ile-Ife is the origin of Ijebu people and is the cradle of civilisation. Yoruba met Ijebu people on the land they currently reside. It was the British that empowered the Oyo empire to dominate other groups. The current Ife in Osun state didn’t exist until the 1900s

1 Like

Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Olu317(m): 10:40am On Jun 18, 2018
Hati13:

No, you got me wrong! I wasn't actually saying Yoruba language was influence by Semitic language but Yoruba language developed within the speakers of it from beginning which ought be classified as a Semitic language. But, unfortunately, it is not . While, the location of the speakers of it today resides within the present day,Western Africa. And the language isnt related to any group but solely the speakers. Furthermore, classification of the Yoruba language within Niger-Congo has nothing, to do with the related languages in west Africa because the languages aren't related to any other speakers, that can actually be said to be even 50% ,with semitic related words found in yoruba lexicon. Yoruba language has Afro-asiatic/ semitic words in her lexicon. These have been studied in the past.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jun 18, 2018
BabaRamota1980,

Ok today Yoruba ppl are result of UGBO West Africans and immigrants from Arabia/Nile valley. Same with the language. But which outweigh the other? It’s the native UGBO. Am I wrong?

Children of Israel and Ethiopia look similar because Israeli descended from Ethiopia not the other way around. Afroasiatic in general and Semitic in specific originated in Ethiopia.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Nobody: 12:56pm On Jun 18, 2018
Olu317:
No, you got me wrong! I wasn't actually saying Yoruba language was influence by Semitic language but Yoruba language developed within the speakers of it from beginning which ought be classified as a Semitic language. But, unfortunately, it is not . While, the location of the speakers of it today resides within the present day,Western Africa. And the language isnt related to any group but solely the speakers. Furthermore, classification of the Yoruba language within Niger-Congo has nothing, to do with the related languages in west Africa because the languages aren't related to any other speakers, that can actually be said to be even 50% ,with semitic related words found in yoruba lexicon. Yoruba language has Afro-asiatic/ semitic words in her lexicon. These have been studied in the past.
So you are saying Yoruba in the beginning was a Semitic language but when they came to the area they now reside, their language was affected by Niger-Congo languages?

How can you say Yoruba being classified as Niger-Congo doesn’t mean it’s related with other Niger-Congo languages? Why the purpose then to classify it as such if it isn’t related with the others? You are getting it wrong. Sorry but you seems to ignore your main ancestry (West African) and greatly appreciate the small Israeli ancestry.

1 Like

Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by BabaRamota1980: 1:56pm On Jun 18, 2018
Hati13:
BabaRamota1980,

Ok today Yoruba ppl are result of UGBO West Africans and immigrants from Arabia/Nile valley. Same with the language. But which outweigh the other? It’s the native UGBO. Am I wrong?

Children of Israel and Ethiopia look similar because Israeli descended from Ethiopia not the other way around. Afroasiatic in general and Semitic in specific originated in Ethiopia.

Yoruba is a spirituality. The language of devotion and worship of different orishas is in Yoruba. The rites of worship and submission to the Holiness of the One God is in Yoruba. The wisdom, philosophy and creeds in the manuscript of Ifa is in Yoruba.

The above is basically the cultural template in every Yoruba town or city under rulership of a dynasty king.

There is no reference in the deeds of spirituality of Yoruba to Ugbo.

The classifican on language was done in respect of regional abode. Yoruba lives amongst the Niger/Congo we classify them into that. In addition, the classification itself was greatly aided by works of Rev Crowther, himself a Yoruba. But his own knowledge of literature and letters had been contaminated with Eurocentric teachings and inaccuracies about Africa.

If you want to understand Yoruba thoroughly follow its arts and rites of worship. Compare that with sorrounding ethnics to see if you find continuity. Then compare same with Semitic roots and see if there is a continuity.

If children of Israel descended from Ethiopia and causes the similarity in features then given her description Sheba could not have been Ethiopian.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by BabaRamota1980: 2:53pm On Jun 18, 2018
Hati13:

So you are saying Yoruba in the beginning was a Semitic language but when they came to the area they now reside, their language was affected by Niger-Congo languages?

How can you say Yoruba being classified as Niger-Congo doesn’t mean it’s related with other Niger-Congo languages? Why the purpose then to classify it as such if it isn’t related with the others? You are getting it wrong. Sorry but you seems to ignore your main ancestry (West African) and greatly appreciate the small Israeli ancestry.

You are mixing things up when you say Yoruba descended from Israel. You are commiting same errors as those do who reject Yoruba with Islam.

Olu has said here repeatedly that Yoruba is a stand-alone Semitic, not descended from Israel or Arab.

Its unfortunate that today in our experience Israel has become the defacto face of semitism and Islam the default identity for Arabia.

When you say semitic nobody ever say oh so you are Palestinian. Everyone just assume Israel.

Here is the outline....
The people we call Yoruba today, the people we call Baruba (Gobir) today, the people we call Nupe (Tapa) today, the people we call Hausa today and the people we call Kanuri today....in their past shared one single nation and rites of worship. They bowed down to idols in a shrine and they offered sacrifice at the altar.

This was before Moses and Torah, long before Christianity and very long before Islam.

These people occupied Canaan, Mesopotamia, Babylon. Their common originator was Lamurudu.

The Kanuri and Baruba call him Kisra. Hausa and Yoruba call him Lamurudu.

So they were independent nations not deriving their ancestry from any Israelite or Arab.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by OlaoChi: 3:20pm On Jun 18, 2018
Olu317:
grin I didn't get to read this earlier, I would not have reply you in anyway because, you are inconsequential to the subject matter. Anyway, thanks for being a ‘history grin professor', and ham-hamitic hypothesis has nothing to do with your opinion. Beside, if people see you as having answers to their questions, you would have been consulted but you practically aren't needed.

You are as well inconsequential and that's the truth. Neither of us are historians but at least I am not the one springing up stories and claims from imagination. I actually stay within the realms of history and facts established by actual historians
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by OlaoChi: 3:29pm On Jun 18, 2018
Olu317:
You see, I chose to respond to you because, I thought you are mild and do have a mature mind but I was wrong because, you are ignorant of history. Kindly go to archives in different yorubaland and do research on people's settlement and your eyes will be opened to a lot of things.Visit Ilorin and read more about the history of Yoruba Ilorin. I doubt if you had taken time to look at the different African Archives, from Arabic speaking account to the French speaking people ? Perhaps you would had had encountered and m acknowledged migration of people , which wouldnt make Yoruba exception. Anyway , I need no soothsayer nor a pastor to inform me about my ancestry. Why such statement Your ‘tracing ancestry ? As ignorant as you are and will ever be grin is that you have proved that,you are a young person,whose knowlwdge is heavily shrewd in Yoruba history for you not to comprehend,the reason yorubas are held in high esteem by western researchers. Well, past Ooni visited Brazil decades ago and the day he arrived, rain fell,like no other day,after a drought grin and the present Ooni Adeyeye Ogunwusi has been given the wisdom to continue in that regard. Am sure you saw the Yoruba mulattoes,who were few 100s years ago exported to Americas ? So keep such advice to yourself because I dont need it. After, all ,you are a product of Ibo and Yoruba parentage. Am I wrong?correct me. And nobody can question you for such, because you did identify with both, right? As a being, your path in this life is before you, so follow up in it and do yourself a great deal of being happy. I'm sure, you have knowledge about me and my historical ancestry,even if we never met,which can't happen. So, I have Right like the Western researchers and African researchers who had dug and still doing a lot of digging into the past and unravel the mystery of the thickness of Yoruba tradition. After, all we( Yorubas) are not aliens. There are archeological excavation/work being done from time to time at ILEIFE and Osugbo site at Epe–Ijebu axis, which you can peruse through an archeological link on the web,from Nigeria,which confirmed that digging into the past is a determinant factor of shaping the future. Lastly, if you have strong evidence of West African lexicons, to counter/nullify similar semitic language, Art ,ancient building pattern ,etc ,that are wholly yorubas,then come up with such evidence, rather than this comment. At least ,proof to me that Yoruba is older than Igboukwu or Nok Empire. And I will rest my case.

OH I don't have a mature mind because I stick to actual history and facts rather than use my limitless wild imagination? That actually makes me more mature... Imaginary tales are for kids.. History is not done by sitting behind a computer and flipping Bible pages and looking for how to connect the Bible to a people unrelated to the Bible.

The rest of your post doesn't address a single thing. I've noticed you like to digress and rant a lot
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by watutsi(m): 4:15pm On Jun 18, 2018
Olu317:
@Hati13, I am not interested in engaging some set people who engage in controversial statement. If you are really interested in Yoruba history ,then you can find time to dissect and understudy the set of people that formed ethnicity.Many atimes some people on this platform who have no true knowledge of tradition of one's lineage shy away from the truth or are too unstudious to realise ,human beings were product of same link but differed when religion set and method to connect to God manifest,so also migratory theory of people either as a reason for greener pasture or war . I am willing to help out on it. First, I am sure, you know the nosal feature of a Ham? Does these NOSAL Feature, EAR feature looked like core black man? I am also sure , you can identify a moon/ Sun like on a crown? Can you see it? There is nothing close to this in West Africa? Then compare with these Pharaoh's NOSE AND EAR....

Well, a lot of you Yoruba have ugly noses so the guy who made it just wanted to make the "art "prettier (hamite). The Yorubas are not hamite! Only some Africans can claim the hamitic theory and you're obvious not one of them.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by OlaoChi: 4:25pm On Jun 18, 2018
Olu317:

If you Amharic that are closer to Middle East, don't call father ‘Ba', then, you should know that ,something about Yoruba is unique and that more research need be done continuously to unravel the mystery of yorubas.

Many erroneous thoughts here..

Lexical similarity within the Niger congo group of languages is precisely why they are grouped together.But you do not expect different languages to have 70% similarity, that is boarding on dialectical differences. That is why only languages(actually dialects) within yorubaland share around and over 70% similarity. [see attached photo]
i would love to know how much similarity Yoruba shares with Hebrew or any other semitic language

And what is the fuss about yoruba Glass bead making and Bronze heads? After all these are home grown, I do not see how this buttress your point

Ephod is not an oracle it is a garment

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ogunwusi & King Jaja Of Opobo Pictured / Obi Chukwuka Noah Akaeze Graduates From UK University (Photos) / Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.