Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,738 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:18 PM

My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened - Family (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened (78285 Views)

Kenyan Man Returns Empty-Handed 42 Years After He Left Home For Greener Pastures / None Of My Fiance's Family Members Likes Me. Please Help / My Fiance Has A Child Out Of Wedlock. But Kept It A Secret From Me. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (45) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by ghettochild4u(m): 7:14pm On Jan 08, 2021
Trayceey:
I Need Your Opinion On This Issue That's Threatening My Relationship

My fiance wanted to come to the house to see my mum but I told him I won't be around because I'm about heading out to somewhere, so he asked me if my mum would be around, then I said yes and he said he would still go to see her and it doesn't matter if I'm not around.

When I later got home that night, my mum complained that he came empty handed. He didn't bring anything for her and she was the one who offered him her drink.

Although initially, I didn't see anything wrong with that but when my mum expressed her displeasure, I later called him to ask why he came to the house empty handed then I let him know I wasn't happy with him, that it would have been better if he didn't come. He tried arguing with me but I hung up.

Since then, we haven't spoken to each other nor visited each other. Was I wrong?
Hungry mother... That's what ur mum is

8 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by UnBanEbenezer(f): 7:14pm On Jan 08, 2021
Trayceey:
not really. The first time he came to see her, which has been a while now, he didn't come empty handed
Gaypontiff kindly read the bolded

1 Like

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by omereneze: 7:14pm On Jan 08, 2021
My dear both you and your mum are totally wrong. kill the entitlement mindset before it kills you. Please call him as soon as possible and apologize to him and build your relationship in the right direction.

3 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Nobody: 7:14pm On Jan 08, 2021
I really hope the guy is wise enough to end it with her. Her family is very toxic. He doesn't need their toxicity in his existence.
GIANTPLUSHUB:

Traceey, we have passed that culture things. Now, everyone is trying to be careful and put somethings into test. You see, your man did nothing wrong at all.

How about he does not takes anything to your house but he gives you peace and comfort in marriage and always support if any situation arises in your own family side?

You need to think and go beg your man. So far he's a good guy to you. Somethings just need wisdom. Since he's into going to your house without buying something along. Next time, whenever he wants to go, try and meet him up and handover something to him to give them at home. Maybe as time goes on, he will get used to it. Do this with calm and good words, like you just want your family to see him as a more better good man.

All the very best.

3 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by iyababs: 7:14pm On Jan 08, 2021
Klass99:

I swear down, that part of the narrative off me grin

Since I was born and now that I am old, it is good and hospitable practice to offer your guests refreshment without resentment.

Even artisans who came to do work in our house and were being paid for their labour/service, were still offered refreshment by my mom in addition to their pay.

Now that I am an adult, I do what I saw my mum do as a child and it builds goodwill for me with my plumber, AC technician and painter. I can't call those guys and they will ignore me. When they arrive they do really good work because I have built goodwill with them.

Omoh, good training and upbringing matters a lot and it goes a long way.
Are you trying to say she wasn't trained or brought up properly or her grandma didn't bring up her mum properly? Which one you dey?

2 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Skmoda360(m): 7:15pm On Jan 08, 2021
Miarose:
you and your mother are too hungry. Respect and courtesy >> gift.

Twale baba....you earn my respect with this....

3 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jan 08, 2021
MoneyTrees:
Smoke Mali kush & you won't hear
All these girls em, a new addiction to smoking jumbo sized Mali kush will be so good for your brain development
Why will you call him to ask why he came empty handed... Did you give him money to keep
You're supposed to educate your mom calmly that times have changed... In the present world relationship/ marriage is 50-50 ok

I hope your fiancee sees this comment grin grin grin
My Advice to him, is to run
Go & hustle...
No kill yourself just to impress
There's no where it's written a visitor must always present gift to his host

so many nairaland boys are broke and this is why they're so pained on this issue. You won't blame them though. This country is messed up
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by osazsky(m): 7:15pm On Jan 08, 2021
Trayceey:
that's your family and not mine
its yours ..u are suppose to treat visitors well...so if your mum is expecting a visitor or her sec sch friends she cant offer common drink..how much drink did she buy..send me her acc numb..thank God ur fiance dogded a bullet. Kia see responsibility..i keep telling girls..build a carrer...ur boyfriend is not a job

5 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Commotfornigeri: 7:15pm On Jan 08, 2021
Mariangeles:

We are Africans. Let us be honest with ourselves.

A man going alone to visit his would-be mother in-law empty handed is a red flag. Something to worry about.
What was the purpose of the visit?
Even as a female, it is still wrong to go visit the mother of the man you're going to marry empty handed.

I agree he should have gone with something, or at least dropped something. But since he didn't, they should not have over reacted.

The guy went even while she wasnt home. That means he sees more value in his relationship with his MIL and was trying to build the relationship.

That is the kind of husband that takes care of his MIL even if his wife passes away.

12 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by deltateam: 7:15pm On Jan 08, 2021
Trayceey:
I Need Your Opinion On This Issue That's Threatening My Relationship

My fiance wanted to come to the house to see my mum but I told him I won't be around because I'm about heading out to somewhere, so he asked me if my mum would be around, then I said yes and he said he would still go to see her and it doesn't matter if I'm not around.

When I later got home that night, my mum complained that he came empty handed. He didn't bring anything for her and she was the one who offered him her drink.

Although initially, I didn't see anything wrong with that but when my mum expressed her displeasure, I later called him to ask why he came to the house empty handed then I let him know I wasn't happy with him, that it would have been better if he didn't come. He tried arguing with me but I hung up.

Since then, we haven't spoken to each other nor visited each other. Was I wrong?

No, babe. You are right on this one as long as you never insulted him.

His behavior shows he doesn't care about your opinion.

He should have listened to you. He's clearly insensitive.

1 Like

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by fredoooooo: 7:15pm On Jan 08, 2021
Iya iyawo Bournvita grin cheesy

2 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by reubenobi(m): 7:16pm On Jan 08, 2021
colestephan86:

You are a fool.
Even if he is not going to marry the babe , how much is a bottle of non alcoholic wine.
You are seeing an elderly Person for the first time. What did he go there to discuss with the woman.
Who told you is the first time? Go read comments.

2 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Nobody: 7:17pm On Jan 08, 2021
YorubaPrince:

Na lie joor... You and ur mama na leech, parasite remora-fish ect... Craze dey worry una head.

so many nairaland boys are broke and this is why they're so pained on this issue. You won't blame them though. This country is messed up
Just imagine.. angry
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Shokoloko(f): 7:17pm On Jan 08, 2021
GayPontiff:

No offense o, but be offended all u want.
You and ur mama need deliverance .
Contact me for recommendations.

If the guy marries u, each visit to your mum will now cost him a cow and a new house shebi?
That he even went to greet her which is the highlight that deserves accolades suddenly gets swept under d carpet. U proceeded to hang up call on him.
Now ur seeking justification publicly.

If u want to enjoy ur marriage in d future when u don marry eh babes, no be everything momsi talk u go swallow.

This is not true. This exact same thing happened to me. The guy's mum right there told me that it was wrong to come and see her without a gift (no matter how small). I had to go out, ask the guy for a little cash and go give his mum.
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Alennsar(f): 7:17pm On Jan 08, 2021
Trayceey:
not really. The first time he came to see her, which has been a while now, he didn't come empty handed
I think his good character and being responsible is of utmost importance for now not the gift. You could have given your mother an excuse on his behalf, you shouldn't have cut the call either.

2 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by UnBanEbenezer(f): 7:17pm On Jan 08, 2021
Biglittlelois:

I cringed when I saw the bolded, is it that your fiance can't eat in your parent's house? Cos I don't understand what you mean by her drink, una nor dey entertain visitors? Smh!!!
I hope this accounts isn't hacked cos I'm surprise this comment is coming from you
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by deltateam: 7:17pm On Jan 08, 2021
Miarose:
you and your mother are too hungry. Respect and courtesy >> gift.

Too hungry?

Go and see your in-laws empty handed.

How will you like a girl you are dating to go and see your mother in your absence?
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Xcelinteriors(f): 7:17pm On Jan 08, 2021
We have quality 3D wallpaper at 2800 per roll
Check signature for pictures
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Kriss216: 7:18pm On Jan 08, 2021
Mariangeles:

A man going alone to visit his would-be mother in-law empty handed is a red flag. Something to worry about.
Even as a female, it is still wrong to go visit the mother of the man you're going to marry empty handed.
Is it obligatory?

3 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by harmony75: 7:18pm On Jan 08, 2021
Trayceey:
so the guy is human you should not have let him know what your mommy said you made a mistake there so this is he's 2nd visit? you're at fault telling him what your mom said..call him to apologize he's already taking you guys as his family so every of his visit should be natural as if he's visiting his mom.

1 Like

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Bennysam: 7:18pm On Jan 08, 2021
Mariangeles:

You’re desperate and hungry, visiting for the first time as a potential husband you don’t need to go with anything just present yourself for the family to know you then when you’re familiar with then you go with gift

3 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by lawalmovichhhh: 7:18pm On Jan 08, 2021
Trayceey:
must you be insulting? With the way you sound, u re not responsible and reasonable enough, so your opinion doesn't count
BASTARD
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by emmyrate1(m): 7:18pm On Jan 08, 2021
Mariangeles:

see reasoning, so I can't visit my mother just to check on her, which African version tell u that it is a must u must buy something when visiting Ur inlaw.

5 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by KosiGee(m): 7:18pm On Jan 08, 2021
Trayceey:
must you be insulting? With the way you sound, u re not responsible and reasonable enough, so your opinion doesn't count

Does your mum work with the Nigeria Police Force presently or a retired constable??....because when they (Trayceey) come your house, you’ll have to give them something and when someone ( Trayceey’s fiancé) go to them, he is supposed to deliver some goodies.

7 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Sixfeetbelle: 7:19pm On Jan 08, 2021
Lashist:

Shurup bros...you are not the only igbo here...its not a must to give gifts if you dont deem it fit...and they are not yet his in-laws yet...250# bread should not make the mum angry

But he didn't bring #250 bread nah.
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Yeyenairaland(m): 7:19pm On Jan 08, 2021
Africa and entitlement mentality shocked

4 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Babaken(m): 7:19pm On Jan 08, 2021
Did you, your mum or any of your family members give him something to give to your mum that he forgot that's making your mum to be angry sometime people use their hands to cuz trouble for themselves. If I be that guy I no go even near you or that una house una get plan.

5 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by kalu61(m): 7:20pm On Jan 08, 2021
NoToPile:
I am not interested in the giving a gift or not part of the arguement, I am much more worried about your reaction.

You have a fiancee which means soon you will be married by now you SHOULD know how to manage your parents and husband which should actually be the easiet to manage for you.

You should NEVER have told him about the incident , A simple - sorry mom it must have been an oversight and not saying a word to your fiance would have sufficed and next time he wants to visit you can chip in the 'I think you should get some fruits( or whatever) for mum' part

Your mum might not be wrong for telling you what she told you, Elderly people have certain expectations which might not sound palatable to our ears but you are the one that knows how you will handle the issues.

This simple matter? It has never even gotten to in- law matters
You are wise

My issue is not with the mum as sometimes our parents forget we are in New age but the lady for notifying the man of the issues and rudely hanging up on him.

2 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Nobody: 7:20pm On Jan 08, 2021
MakyavelitheDon:

After seeing the way you replied some people here on nairaland and after saying you hung up on your future husband it's shows me some things about you
1. You lack grace
2. You're Ill mannered and Ill tempered
3. You have your priorities completely twisted and you have no idea what marriage is about
4. Youre pompous and arrogant

I can go on but let me peg it there.

Now that your mother had used her witchcraft to truncate your marriage plans let her go and bring husband from inside the river for you.

I give that guy kudos for taking off... Both you and your mother don't seem like people a reasonable guy would wanna spend his life connected to
and you are a mad man.

2 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by UnBanEbenezer(f): 7:20pm On Jan 08, 2021
Mariangeles:

I don't know about the others, but in my tribe (Igbo), that's how things are done.
You don't go to your in-laws bare handed.
It is not an act to be proud of.
you're an Osu and not igbo

2 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by BobbyZrealist(m): 7:20pm On Jan 08, 2021
To Fiancé's house,emty-handed?
The Mum has a reason for saying that.
Mothers get Wisdom.
Gifts are not compulsory, but very important. They say a lot about your personality. And it is suppose to be from both sides.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (45) (Reply)

Twin Sisters Dedicate Children From One Husband In Akwa Ibom. Photos / Husband Who Fought With Man That Slept With His Wife Beaten To Stupor / Lady Cheats On Her Husband After Opening A Boutique For Her, Husband Beats Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.