Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,241 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:42 AM

My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened (78105 Views)

Kenyan Man Returns Empty-Handed 42 Years After He Left Home For Greener Pastures / None Of My Fiance's Family Members Likes Me. Please Help / My Fiance Has A Child Out Of Wedlock. But Kept It A Secret From Me. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (45) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by rtdCivilservant: 11:14am On Jan 08, 2021
Trayceey:
it was my mistake and I regret doing that.
Fine, now u are talking. Just look for a way to explain things to him, tell him u never meant it the way u said it. All the best, all I said was of good intentions for u. Lastly, sorry if I said anything that sounded insulting.
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Mariangeles(f): 11:16am On Jan 08, 2021
[s]
JovialJune:

Egbami ke, who says you people are not great people? Who is arguing about that?

The point most people are saying is, don't say nonsense is your culture, be bold and say it's only your own family abi ancestors or clan, so it will be easy to differentiate the great ones from the yeye ones, do you understand? Stop portraying Igbo's generally as bad, not all are bad, entitled, or hungry.
[/s]

Keep my family out of your disrespectful mentions, I'm warning you!

2 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by izzou(m): 11:18am On Jan 08, 2021
Hathor5:

And even threats of Western culture eroding 'our culture' when in fact Westerners bring gifts too when they visit. cheesy Most times when my oyinbo friends come over for dinner, I get wine, chocolate, flowers, you name it. But if for one reason or another they choose not to bring anything, no wahala. It's not compulsory to do it every single time. What makes it special is that they do it because they want to and choose to and not because it is a must EVERY TIME they come. A gift from the heart is more worth than a cultural obligation.

Is there even a cultural obligation? grin

The "culture" line of defence is just to justify the entitlement mentality.

Nothing more

7 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by JovialJune(f): 11:18am On Jan 08, 2021
Fiscus105:

I hardly answer urchins, wen you grow older than ur present age you will understand, plz start preparing for academic activities, ASUU called of strike already, posts on marriages are not for ur age

Go and check my profile and probably my comments, I'm a graduate from a prestigious University, a married woman with kids, I don't blindly support nonsense based on gender,

You this Nl people always assuming rubbish on people they don't even know offline just to drive home a useless point, accept you're wrong, simple.

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by TransAtlanticEx(m): 11:19am On Jan 08, 2021
JovialJune:

Honestly fa, I mean, it's annoying there are people taking sides with Op, when common sense should tell them that giving gifts is voluntary, not compulsory, very simple something that doesn't need thinking too hard na,

Different types of people dey sha, dem go dey show themselves small small online, it's a pity this is a faceless forum, we suppose good from yeye people so that people can take heed and beware, chai.
Swears,I would pay top dollar to see the faces of some of these ladies so we could avoid them in the future. grin
Real bad market,that is why I always look at income bracket of women before trying to have any serious relationship with them to avoid this type of things.
No family that is doing well would expect anything from any of their relations,
Only the fact that you respect them enough to come and visit them is a thing of joy,let alone complaining over the can of malt they served to their guest grin

13 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Mariangeles(f): 11:20am On Jan 08, 2021
SweetCunt97:
But you know it ain't cool to go see an intending in law empty handed nwokem. The lady no wise though

Let them keep on deceiving themselves on Nairaland. Something they wouldn't dare do in reality to avoid embarrassment.
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by JovialJune(f): 11:22am On Jan 08, 2021
Mariangeles:
[s][/s]

Keep my family out of your disrespectful mentions, I'm warning you!

I don talk am, come and beat me,

Sheybi it's your family culture to be receiving daily gifts upandan, una no suppose name am gift, you suppose say na compulsory trade to entertain una son in laws na, as op's mama dey vex say she give am HER drink cheesy

Oya come and beat me cheesy

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Mariangeles(f): 11:25am On Jan 08, 2021
[s]
JovialJune:

I don talk am, come and beat me,

Sheybi it's your family culture to be receiving daily gifts upandan, una no suppose nor name am gift, you suppose say na compulsory trade to entertain una son in laws na, as op's mama dey vex say she give am HER drink cheesy

Oya come and beat me cheesy
[/s]

Why am I not surprised? For someone like you who doesn't have respect for her mother-in-law and husband's family, disrespect cannot be far from her.

Shameless!

3 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Hathor5(f): 11:27am On Jan 08, 2021
izzou:

Is there even a cultural obligation? grin

The "culture" line of defence is just to justify the entitlement mentality.

Nothing more

Obviously, some people think there is. undecided

I think it is simple courtesy to bring something no matter how little when you visit people but I would never expect people to do it every time they come. And I would be ashamed to complain if they don't. Sometimes I just want to offer my hospitality without receiving and expecting anything in return. I always instruct one of my best friends (oyinbo) not to buy anything when she is coming over because she comes with bags. grin There is also joy in being surprised with a gift. No surprise if it must be done every single time in the name of 'our culture'.

My parents don't expect me to get anything for them when I visit. Sometimes I still do but not every time. I, for my part, expect my parents to treat my husband like their own child so why would they expect anything of him they don't expect from me?

8 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by idahme(m): 11:29am On Jan 08, 2021
Trayceey:
You're so dumb. Just because u have access to internet via operamini free mb, you have the liberty to type trash. I'm guessing you are a teenager who comes here to catch cruise, so I won't waste my time and energy on u

Someone who saw his in-law coming to pay them visit by 2003/2004 is a teenager? You guys should be calming down a little.....

9 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Hathor5(f): 11:29am On Jan 08, 2021
Xmen149:
I wnated to keep mute but beign that alot of people are telling this girl she is right i am begining to see her true self in her present comments and even the previous.

I hope this is not the guy you said is having hard times financially (making you have the gut to abuse,shout on him and cut call on him)

1) No matter the reason you dnt shout on your guy (or else he is beign abusive and violent,in which two wrongs still dnt make a right) abuse or cut calls on him.

2)If you did that on trivial issue as this that means you have been doing it b4 and need to work deeply on your self. respect your man always.

3)He is still your boyfriend you introduced to your people.

4)Your boyfriend becomes a fiance after he has initiated marriage process.

5)He dsnt owe your mum anything on a visit as a boyfriend,and after he has turned fiance or in-law he brings what he can when he can (The main thing is there must have been a time he brought something on visit).

6)You have given the guy impression your mum will be influencing decisions both of you make in Ur home. and you cnt even stand for him if need arise.

7)you should take time to grow in mind or change your perception of life and things if what we are actually talking about here is you beign someones wife (na big task for mature minds) plus you are also a mother,you suppose don see things wey suppose don make you calm haba.

coolAnd for those asking : a correct igbo home wont even harboure the site of a boyfriend more than once in their house talk of bringing gifts. if they see you once na introduction,the second time ua either coming for to start something or jeje sit on your couch and make calls. Infact the mother will even advice the daughter not to receive gifts from him so that if she changes her mind she can easily go with another person.

The poor and really weird family amongst them will receive anything from the man and even make demands. It is not the IGBO way.

A traditional igbo family never tax their inlaw

shocked
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by JovialJune(f): 11:32am On Jan 08, 2021
TransAtlanticEx:
Swears,I would pay top dollar to see the faces of some of these ladies so we could avoid them in the future. grin
Real bad market,that is why I always look at income bracket of women before trying to have any serious relationship with them to avoid this type of things.
No family that is doing well would expect anything from any of their relations,
Only the fact that you respect them enough to come and visit them is a thing of joy,let alone complaining over the can of malt they served to their guest grin

Seriously o, the priority for in laws when meeting an intending son in law, should be his attitude, character, how he carries himself, and how respectful and reliable he can be, that's all,

Op' fiance already brought gifts the first time he went to see her mother, which is the right thing to do, if he decides to always bring after that, or not, should be at his own volition, that's all, in fact, some parents will want to go extra mile to feed their son or daughter in law with different assorted food just so they are satisfied, maybe it's prevalent in Yoruba culture only sha, who knows.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by JovialJune(f): 11:35am On Jan 08, 2021
Mariangeles:
[s][/s]

Why am I not surprised? For someone like you who doesn't have respect for her mother-in-law and husband's family, disrespect cannot be far from her.

Shameless!

Thank you ma

Oya come and beat me grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by idahme(m): 11:36am On Jan 08, 2021
JovialJune:

Abeg shut up, go and read the rest of Op's comment on first page before drooling..

A beg calm down, you are assuming that common sense is a virtue for all its not.

5 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Mariangeles(f): 11:37am On Jan 08, 2021
JovialJune:

Thank you ma

Oya come and beat me grin

No need! You do that yourself everyday!

Inukwa nga na ra nshi!

1 Like

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Mariangeles(f): 11:39am On Jan 08, 2021
Ndi mpiawa azu na ndi iro ejula ebe a nile! grin

Like MTN, they're everywhere you go!

1 Like

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by sapporo: 11:43am On Jan 08, 2021
Fiscus105:

Follow nairaland people at ur own peril, many of them are just " fault finders". No matter how good intentions of the posts, they will attack the posters, many of the guys (attackers) can't try to go empty handed to ordinary girlfriend place not talk of mother in law.

Even sister in law, I buy gifts not to talk a whole mother of ur wife or wife to be.

Yet they will be Lamenting girls are bad, marriage is a scam

Why won't be problems for them, when they refused to play the game according to dictate of the rules

Bro its a "will" thing, no doctrine/culture stipulate you must bring gift. question of right or wrong doesnt play.
The most important thing a mother should be all about is ensure her daughter marries a gud man. gift is not the priority
I don't blame the mother and i won't blame the guy, the only person wrong here is the Op, instead of attacking her boyfriend she should have find a better way to give the guy heads up.

a call like; babe i notice you didnt come with any goodies to the house, i would love you to get something for mom o! no matter how small .. you can never tell these old people. laugh about it, a reasonable man wil get the message.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by JovialJune(f): 11:43am On Jan 08, 2021
Mariangeles:

No need! You do that yourself everyday!

Inukwa nga na ra nshi!

Yen yen yen right back at you,

Nsidime.

7 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by TransAtlanticEx(m): 11:46am On Jan 08, 2021
JovialJune:

Seriously o, the priority for in laws when meeting an intending son in law, should be his attitude, character, how he carries himself, and how respectful and reliable he can be, that's all,

Op' fiance already brought gifts the first time he went to see her mother, which is the right thing to do, if he decides to always bring after that, or not, should be at his own volition, that's all, in fact, some parents will want to go extra mile to feed their son or daughter in law with different assorted food just so they are satisfied, maybe it's prevalent in Yoruba culture only sha, who knows.
No it's not just a yoruba thing oo.
I am an Anambra man 100%,in 2004 after my sister's husband has come for introduction and all,my sister travelled for her studies.
My mom was always sending food to his house,almost everyday.I use to be the one going there to drop the food cos we lived like 2km apart so I know.
Sometimes my immediate older sister.
Then the guy was still struggling(not poor but still hustling),he didn't have a car,my mom gave him one of the cars in the house that wasn't really doing anything(toyota carina II ) just because he saw him untop okada in a commercial town they both do business in(you know how dangerous okada was seen in that era),he used till about 2005 when he bought his own car and returned ours which he had already scrapped(nobody complain!) because he used it for business.
My mother had plenty trucks because she was a trader,my sister's husband stopped paying transport for goods because he can always come home and take anyone he likes and just buy diesel and tip the driver rather than chartering a truck(All because of marriage ooo still at introductory level).
Na em one clown here dey say its igbo culture to always carry gift to their homes bla bla bla... grin
It's not igbo culture abeg,speak for your clan.
Do you know how stupid you will look to take provisions to go and visit a well to do family?Like you come and park and start offloading rice and tomato with milo grin grin
So disrespectful!!!
The only thing you can give these set of people is whiskey or champagne(to the father) or Cuban cohibars if he smokes and maybe clothe to the mom(hollandis) or cash gift.
Anything else is outright stupid and disrespectful for well-off families.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Xmen149(m): 11:48am On Jan 08, 2021
Hathor5:

shocked

E shock you fa.

ogo bu chi onye (ones In-law is his God) is a term formulated by old reched igbo families they use to tax their inlaw to death. Then they will crown it by giving the in-law one of the girls younger brother or sister to help them raise.

All are big nonsense families are changing now.

The last thing you will do in my house then is to introduce someone as your boyfriend or girlfriend, no matter your age,.fear gree them come again for no fucken reason but to just come and see my parents and bring gifts cheesy cheesy cheesy you don buy case for my parents hand grin grin

3 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Mariangeles(f): 11:48am On Jan 08, 2021
JovialJune:

Yen yen yen right back at you,

Nsidime.

Onye luru gi ni, o si ya ji nwaanyi? Nne di gi a hujuola anya! Were ya otu ahu!

2 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by sapporo: 11:50am On Jan 08, 2021
Mariangeles:
[s][/s]

Get out of my mention with your nonsense!

How you or anyone think or feel about the Igbos is irrelevant! It doesn't change who we are. A GREAT PEOPLE!

aunty you wrote "great" instead of "GREED" people. its in the blood we get cheesy

2 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by JovialJune(f): 11:51am On Jan 08, 2021
Mariangeles:

Onye luru gi ni, o si ya ji nwaanyi? Nne gi ukwu a hujuola anya! Gba be!

This one will soon start crying in igbo language, someone should pls help her cry

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Mariangeles(f): 11:53am On Jan 08, 2021
TransAtlanticEx:
I am an Anambra man 100%,in 2004 after my sister's husband has come for introduction and all,my sister travelled for her studies.
My mom was always sending food to his house,almost everyday.I use to be the one going there to drop the food cos we lived like 2km apart so I know.
Then the guy was still struggling(not poor but still hustling),he didn't have a car,my mom gave him one of the cars in the house that wasn't really doing anything(toyota carina II )he used till about 2005 when he bought his own car and returned ours which he had already scrapped(nobody complain!).
Na em one clown here dey say its igbo culture to always carry gift to their homes bla bla bla... grin
Do you know how stupid you will look to take provisions to go and visit a well to do family?Like you come and park and start offloading rice and tomato with milo grin grin
So disrespectful!!!
The only thing you can give these set of people is whiskey or champagne(to the father) or Cuban cohibars if he smokes and maybe clothe to the mom(hollandis) or cash gift.

Iwu onye mpiawa azu? Don't be a sell out!
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by pocohantas(f): 11:56am On Jan 08, 2021
izzou:

Scold am, come still hang up

Hahahaha. grin grin grin grin grin

Jokes apart, the fact that the guy took out his time to visit, yet the mother’s problem was that he didn’t bring a gift, tells a lot. Anyway, looking at OP’s previous comments, I think she is using us to catch cruise. cheesy cheesy

8 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Mariangeles(f): 11:58am On Jan 08, 2021
JovialJune:

This one will soon start crying in igbo language, someone should pls help her cry
Igbo amaka! kiss

Owu otu owu!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Xmen149(m): 12:03pm On Jan 08, 2021
TransAtlanticEx:
Then the guy was still struggling(not poor but still hustling),he didn't have a car,my mom gave him one of the cars in the house that wasn't really doing anything(toyota carina II ) just because he saw him untop okada in a commercial town they both do business in(you know how dangerous okada was seen in that era),he used till about 2005 when he bought his own car and returned ours which he had already scrapped(nobody complain!) because he used it for business.
My mother had plenty trucks because she was a trader,my sister's husband stopped paying transport for goods because he can always come home and take anyone he likes and just buy diesel and tip the driver rather than chartering a truck(All because of marriage ooo still at introductory level).
So disrespectful!!!

exactly my brother,... nothing igbo about that shit.

2 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Mariangeles(f): 12:05pm On Jan 08, 2021
pocohantas:

Jokes apart, the fact that the guy took out his time to visit, yet the mother’s problem was that he didn’t bring a gift, tells a lot. Anyway, looking at OP’s previous comments, I think she is using us to catch cruise. cheesy cheesy

The fault was from the op for confronting her fiance about it. It should never have gotten to that extent.
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Fiscus105(m): 12:06pm On Jan 08, 2021
sapporo:

Bro its a "will" thing, no doctrine/culture stipulate you must bring gift. question of right or wrong doesnt play.
The most important thing a mother should be all about is ensure her daughter marries a gud man. gift is not the priority
I don't blame the mother and i won't blame the guy, the only person wrong here is the Op, instead of attacking her boyfriend she should have find a better way to give the guy heads up.

a call like; babe i notice you didnt come with any goodies to the house, i would love you to get something for mom o! no matter how small .. you can never tell these old people. laugh about it, a reasonable man wil get the message.

I concur, it seems the tongue op used too heavy, If you follow my comments you will notice I don't comment on her post directly despite I saw the post earlier, I started commenting on comments that attacking mother in law, in this situation the person who made biggest mistake is fiance, I keep repeating it, though op didn't play her card accurately as well. We are In Africa let play accordingly plz, we should stop bringing ailien culture at detriment of our own,

My wife can not imagine going to my parents house without bringing gifts even when I complain I don't have money, likewise me

According to op, going to his in law house now, not compulsory because she told him, she wont be around, why can't he stay behind if he doesn't prepare to give them gifts not even December period.

Oga school we attended shouldn't be a yardstick for us to jettison our culture of decency o, instead we should promote culture and politeness

Let me repeat my self again , my sisters and brothers in laws used to complain I don't use to call, will it good to tell them If I don't call they too can call me? I have never thought of it once

Place that he was going which is not often, haba

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by TransAtlanticEx(m): 12:07pm On Jan 08, 2021
Mariangeles:

Iwu onye mpiawa azu? Don't be a sell out!

I have no reason to backstab you,I just say things as they are.

2 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by emmaodet: 12:09pm On Jan 08, 2021
Afromentalist:

You people only like culture when it favours your materialistic tendencies. Now you are so attached to the culture of bringing gifts to the in laws,

If we now talk about polygamy and patriarchy , you will now curse culture and call it backwardness and woman exploitation.

Let's leave culture out of this discussion. Did the guy do anything that would warrant such foolish reaction ?

In fact if I be the man, I will never be back in such a relationship.

grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Mariangeles(f): 12:11pm On Jan 08, 2021
TransAtlanticEx:
I have no reason to backstab you,I just say things as they are.

I ma na nwanne mmadu ka iwu...a kpasola'm iwe ooo, ka anyi ghara I se okwu.

Udo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (45) (Reply)

Lady Cheats On Her Husband After Opening A Boutique For Her, Husband Beats Her / This Whatsapp Status Was Posted By Someone's Wife. Should I Tell Her Husband? / Lady Receives The Shock Of Her Life 3 Years After She Divorced Her Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.