Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,146 members, 7,818,441 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:55 PM

Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation - Romance (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation (27474 Views)

She Won't Let You Touch The Boobs / TEST: Marry Her If She Can Eat This With You / If She Is Amazing, She Won't Be Easy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (22) (Go Down)

Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by MrsChima(f): 1:04am On May 03, 2011
sleekman:

Women and power. Na wa O! Anyways as long as the women out populate the men in Nigeria it will definitely be a man's world.

And that is the very reason why too many Nigerian women fleeing to the WHITE MEN and not turning back.   I wouldn't blame them.   lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by Nobody: 1:07am On May 03, 2011
MeGaStReEt:

Some women dey find husband with all body, them never see, even if its just to answer their surname, common shoe maker dem never see. Now some 22 years olds are talking rub-ish about changing or not changing their name, claiming what they are not,lol. When time reach we go know who suppose change name and who no go change name.  Some gurls worship their bf, not to talk of husband, but they will come here, (becuase we no dey see them) and start deceiving their fellow weak minded NL's. Very soon breeze go blow . . .

i am actually engaged to be married  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
my father passed in '09 and my partner and I discussed I will be keeping my dad's name.
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by MrsChima(f): 1:07am On May 03, 2011
MeGaStReEt:

Some women dey find husband with all body, them never see, even if its just to answer their surname, common shoe maker dem never see. Now some 22 years olds are talking rub-ish about changing or not changing their name, claiming what they are not,lol. When time reach we go know who suppose change name and who no go change name.  Some gurls worship their bf, not to talk of husband, but they will come here, (becuase we no dey see them) and start deceiving their fellow weak minded NL's. Very soon breeze go blow . . .

You said the key word: Some.

Some men are gay.
Some men are jobless.
Some men are stupid.
Some men are HIV infected.
Some men are liars.

Now some doesn't represent all.  

[size=22pt]Some men have brains and balls to know the different between what is important and what is not.  Too bad I can't say that for the other some  lipsrsealed[/size]
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by MrsChima(f): 1:10am On May 03, 2011
Too many men need to focuses on getting a job and supporting themselves beside worrying about a name change cos a sensible chick wouldn't dare say I do a broke arse nigga who can't even afford chips. 

Too many of them over the age of 21 still staying with their MOTHERS and shouting about women need to adhere to the name change. 

Too many of them do not have a job nor steady income let along to even afford a ghetto wedding and shouting about women need to adhere to the name change. 

To many of them are dumb as bleep and don't know the different between their elbows and asscheeks and shouting about women need to adhere to the name change. 

Get a job, maintain income, get out of your mother's house/hut, and gain wisdom of life before you approach a woman then maybe she will consider accepting your bleeped up sounding names. 

If the woman's name is not bleeped up why would she wants to change her name to a name that sound like level five contagious disease? Imagine those kids in school been told they have to go through Hazmat therapy just to eat some damn cheetos at school.
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by Nobody: 1:12am On May 03, 2011
Mrs.Chima:

Too many men need to focuses on getting a job and supporting themselves beside worrying about a name change cos a sensible chick wouldn't dare say I do a broke arse nigga who can't even afford chips. 

abadeee abadee beh deeeeeeh ah dats all folks!

it's a WRAP.  cool

*singing G-Whizz "mi go on and on and on and on and on and on and on! no time fi linga no time fi con, even tru di storm!"

chima, im gonna try for American Idol! cheesy
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by 190: 1:17am On May 03, 2011
BABE!:

Very soon breeze go blow-- 190's wig will fall off-----lmao---- tongue

@190, I'm here o! Wetin you want?

Nothing i know say u no read megastreet post grin grin
Nor worry i go allow you keep all your names

English, german, spanish, surname even native name, keep all grin grin
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by lexxwiz(m): 1:21am On May 03, 2011
Mrs Chima, Why are you so mad @ d word 'firm', Well if not for the respect i have for married women,i would have said your mother should have aborted you, but i wont say it coz i respect you.
Like i care if your husband changed his surname to yours. Or you traveled outside the country and never to come back. "wetting concern bald man and spotting waves?', whatever happened to freedom of speech, ??. must you course
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by BABE3: 1:23am On May 03, 2011
190:

Nothing i know say u no read megastreet post  grin  grin
Nor worry i go allow you keep all your names

English, german, spanish, surname even native name, keep all  grin  grin

190, you've started using binoculars to read your bible abi?  undecided

I read Megastreet-- He wasn't referring to me,so undecided-- and if he was then I don't know what the 4uck he's chatting about----
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by 190: 1:24am On May 03, 2011
BABE!:

190, you've started using binoculars to read your bible abi?  undecided

I read Megastreet-- He wasn't referring to me,so undecided-- and if he was then I don't know what the 4uck he's chatting about----

ROTFLMFAO!! you are damn funny

Anyway we chat later swerry kiss kiss
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by cantell(m): 1:38am On May 03, 2011
MzDarkSkin:

Look, i made my decision and it's final.
Yeah, you have. If you don't get married nko?
Like i said, get to that bridge first!
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by chiogo(f): 1:53am On May 03, 2011
I'm not surprised this guy would open a thread like this.
Trivial issues is the death of my black people.
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by 9jaHokie: 2:41am On May 03, 2011
I have only read 2 pages of these thread, but i catch the drift. this reply however goes out to 2 ladies specifically. Mrs Chima and MzDarkSkin. I will be remiss if i dont mention how surprised i am an both of you's level of ignorance, but culturally and spiritually. but then again, you are feminists, so thats not much of a surprise. The idea of a woman taking up a man's last name wasn't created by chauvinists, as u feminists like to claim every time. but once again, im not surprised that you call any man willing to be a true man a chauvinist, its literally the 1st rule of feminism.

in any case, to address the topic at hand. The institution of marriage was created to bring a man and a woman together to become one. singular. not hyphenated or 2. this idea was transferred symbolically into the changing of the last name. so why on earth was it the man's name that stayed? well lets see, who's house does the woman move into? who initiates the marriage proposal? well im sure u probably dont agree with either of those points mainly because, well thanks to western civilization, women have now taken up even those aspects of dating and relationships. but thats wateva.

now to the religious. I personally believe you made the greatest mistake by bringing God into this because i have never seen a book more direct on the role of men and women than the Bible. the Bible is completely against everything you, as a feminist, stands for. First of all, Matt 19: 4-7 clearly explains the union between a man and a woman as coming together to become one. I dont see any better way to show this than having the same lastname. but im sure u have a better idea.
Also, 1 corinthians 11 states in full detail how the creation of the woman was for the man, and the head of the woman is the man. so why shudnt she change her last name to that of her head?
well thats up to you to discuss.
last but not least, that your father's last name that you want to keep, didnt your mother have to give up hers to take his? why not go take you mothers last name then?

and please, dont emphasize ur ignorance by pointing out some grammatical flaws in my post. thanx
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by MrsChima(f): 2:57am On May 03, 2011
9jaHokie:

I have only read 2 pages of these thread, but i catch the drift. this reply however goes out to 2 ladies specifically. Mrs Chima and MzDarkSkin. I will be remiss if i dont mention how surprised i am an both of you's level of ignorance, but culturally and spiritually. but then again, you are feminists, so thats not much of a surprise. The idea of a woman taking up a man's last name wasn't created by chauvinists, as u feminists like to claim every time. but once again, im not surprised that you call any man willing to be a true man a chauvinist, its literally the 1st rule of feminism.

in any case, to address the topic at hand. The institution of marriage was created to bring a man and a woman together to become one. singular. not hyphenated or 2. this idea was transferred symbolically into the changing of the last name. so why on earth was it the man's name that stayed? well lets see, who's house does the woman move into? who initiates the marriage proposal? well im sure u probably dont agree with either of those points mainly because, well thanks to western civilization, women have now taken up even those aspects of dating and relationships. but thats wateva.

now to the religious. I personally believe you made the greatest mistake by bringing God into this because i have never seen a book more direct on the role of men and women than the Bible. the Bible is completely against everything you, as a feminist, stands for. First of all,  Matt 19: 4-7 clearly explains the union between a man and a woman as coming together to become one. I dont see any better way to show this than having the same lastname. but im sure u have a better idea.
Also, 1 corinthians 11 states in full detail how the creation of the woman was for the man, and the head of the woman is the man. so why shudnt she change her last name to that of her head?
well thats up to you to discuss.
last but not least, that your father's last name that you want to keep, didnt your mother have to give up hers to take his? why not go take you mothers last name then?

and please, dont emphasize your ignorance by pointing out some grammatical flaws in my post. thanx

Please accept my inability to absorb spoonfed ramblings.  You had to created a new account today to tell Mrs. Chima, who have stated didn't give a bleep about you and yours.  I feel good knowing I get under limp dicks skin.  It is a skill that I am definitely proud of. 

A woman who is muslim stated on this very thread that Muslim women keeps their fathers surname and I responded cool because it is their culture. 

A Nigerian woman stated on this thread that she would like to keep her surname because it is cool and she likes it.  I responded as long as it makes you happy there is nothing wrong with it.

A Nigerian woman stated on this thread that there are no laws nor sins preventing women from changing their names unless it is by force which is sad. 

A Nigerian woman stated on this thread if a man doesn't feel that his wife's name is not worthy to accept then the wife shouldn't have to accept his. 

A Nigerian woman stated on this thread that she is not surprised a man created this thread and such travesty is the death of her people. 

A Jamo woman stated on this thread that she will keep her late father name because of personal reasons and it is her choice. 

A Black woman stated on this thread that if a woman wants to keep her name she can, if she wants to hyphenate her name she can, and if she wants to accept her husband's surname she can as long as IT IS HER CHOICE.  Not because of some sorry arsed ultimatum from a nigga who can't wipe his arse thoroughly without leaving crumbs on his fruit of loon thong.

Now tell me where in this threads have I, Mrs. Chima stated AGAINST the bible, culture, and pure hogwart limp dicks that a woman SHOULDN'T CHANGE her last name?  You can't because you possesses 47 chromosomes and instead of creating alternate account to waste your time on someone who clearly don't give a bleep about you, you should have done something productive like feed some children or find cure to HIV infections so your brothers can stop despoiling innocent virgin babies thinking it will cure their dumb asses.
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by Princek12(m): 3:03am On May 03, 2011
9jaHokie

Thanks for keeping it real and for speaking your mind.
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by Princek12(m): 3:11am On May 03, 2011
It's funny how many women on this thread claim they want to be treated like ladies:

they want their husbands to be chivalrous and open doors for them, wine and dine them, wash their car, spend money on them, and blah blah blah. If their husbands refuse to do those things they claim that he is not a real man, because historically men have done those things.

When men now demand for women to do the same things (such as changing their last name upon marriage) that women have historically done these same women claim it is not OK. Women here only want to cherry pick when to be treated like ladies. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Either you want to be treated like a lady or wife or you don't. You are either in or out.
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by Princek12(m): 3:24am On May 03, 2011
Mrs.Chima:

It is funny how you claim you are a Christian and man bitching like you got two mammalias, a clit, and on your period at the strip club during worship service.  You need some midol and some tampax nigga?  You never seen me ask for any respect from YOU or your ho arse brothers.  I said if you want respect you better act like it you want it from me. 

Alternate accounts creating ho arse nigga.  tongue tongue tongue tongue

you have started with the personal attacks, which is a sign of someone who cannot engage in intellectual discourse and will get personal to avoid responding to the issues.

You really don't want to get me started tonight. Seriously. I will let you act like the psycho that you are.
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by Princek12(m): 3:25am On May 03, 2011
This is a forum meant for the exchange of ideas, but Mz dark Skin even told you yesterday that you should not act like a dumb person and be disrespectful. I guess you have shown that you cannot act like a decent human being and raise your point of view while respecting differing views.

Like I said, you don't want to get me started tonight. As an intellectual, I am here to discuss issues, not to rain personal attacks. I do not have time to discuss with dumb people who cannot respond intellectually but can only rain personal attacks.

You act like a victim, but you are the one doing all the abuses on this thread. I am warning you again.
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by 9jaHokie: 3:28am On May 03, 2011
hey Mrs Chima, just to correct something im a completely different person from Princek12 oh. just making sure u get that right. no one is creating an alternate account to address ur ignorance. a friend was nice enough to show me this thread and lamented the degradation of mentality of some nigerian women.
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by 190: 3:32am On May 03, 2011
@Princek12

You still dey on this issue,

Make you go sleep ooh!!

U really have strength to do yama yama!!
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by Nobody: 3:33am On May 03, 2011
Princek12:

It's funny how many women on this thread claim they want to be treated like ladies:

they want their husbands to be chivalrous and open doors for them, wine and dine them, wash their car, spend money on them, and blah blah blah. If their husbands refuse to do those things they claim that he is not a real man, because historically men have done those things.

When men now demand for women to do the same things (such as changing their last name upon marriage) that women have historically done these same women claim it is not OK. Women here only want to cherry pick when to be treated like ladies. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Either you want to be treated like a lady or wife or you don't. You are either in or out.

Who said that? What I've read from most women is that the woman involved should have a choice and be comfortable/happy with said choice. Who said it's not ok?

Changing a name has nothing to do with being treated like a lady/wife lol. Love, respect, understand, etc. That's what being treated like a lady/wife involves, and vice versa.
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by Princek12(m): 3:33am On May 03, 2011
9jaHokie:

hey Mrs Chima, just to correct something im a completely different person from Princek12 oh. just making sure u get that right. no one is creating an alternate account to address your ignorance. a friend was nice enough to show me this thread and lamented the degradation of mentality of some nigerian women.

Thank you for clearing that up. I don't know what the hell she was thinking when she thought that I created another account to comment. Ms Chima never addresses the issues but attacks you for voicing your opinion. I am trying to be civil tonight, and I have warned her.

Her buddy Mz Dark Skin also told her that it is improper to disrespect men who have differing views from her, but she played the victim.

As you saw from her post, she attacked me personally just because I posted my views. I am not on Nairaland to fight but to engage in intellectual discourse. Maybe I am in the wrong website.
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by wizsultan: 3:34am On May 03, 2011
na wa o!!!!
women are growing wings,
if u see changing ur last name as a part of freedom or something,
una dey suffer from low-self esteem,
or last name as to sexy, y not marry ur last name,
or look for a guy wit same last  name,
i no blame una,
na guys cause am, we too foolish nowadays, and na backside dey cause am
imagine my grandma then saying she wont change her last name cos she no want bear the name jantofull or voge,
eh ehn, i see now, no wonder una dey marry urself,
i neva see the babe wey no go gree change her surname to mine,
then the marriage is void,
nonsense!!! angry angry angry
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
[sup]ladies go start to dey vex now o cos i don talk true[/sup]
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by Princek12(m): 3:37am On May 03, 2011
ogugua88:

Who said that? What I've read from most women is that the woman involved should have a choice and be comfortable/happy with such choice. Who said it's not ok?

Changing a name has nothing to do with being treated like a lady/wife lol. Love, respect, understand, etc. That's what being treated like a lady/wife involves, and vice versa.

Historically women have changed their names upon marriage. If you look at many marriages, which I am sure you know many married ladies, those women have changed their name.

Understandably, changing your name is a sacrifice, but if these "modern day" women want to let go of that sacrifice, then they should also be willing to let go of the benefits that women have traditionally enjoyed upon marriage. My point is that you can't keep the "stereotypical benefits" while let go of the "stereotypical sacrifice."

I am sure your mother changes her last name upon marrying your father.
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by Princek12(m): 3:39am On May 03, 2011
190:

@Princek12

You still dey on this issue,

Make you go sleep ooh!!

U really have strength to do yama yama!!

I aim to educate. For every lady I educate I am sure the good Lord will reward me.
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by 190: 3:44am On May 03, 2011
Princek12:

I aim to educate. For every lady I educate I am sure the good Lord will reward me.

Ehhen did u say EDUCATION!!

Damnniit direct your teaching to Ogugua!!

Not all that Glitters are gold!!

Not all women that wear skirt and carry wig are WOMEN OOH!! angry angry

rite now stones don spoil our rice  cheesy

as u see me so, I jele jele dey one side dey watch from one corner

cos  i nor get strength take follow person drag ( after all nor be money we dey share 4 here  undecided)

wizsultan:

na wa o!!!!
women are growing wings,
if u see changing your last name as a part of freedom or something,
una dey suffer from low-self esteem,
or last name as to sexy, y not marry your last name,
or look for a guy wit same last  name,
i no blame una,
na guys cause am, we too foolish nowadays, and na backside dey cause am
imagine my grandma then saying she wont change her last name cos she no want bear the name jantofull or voge,
eh ehn, i see now, no wonder una dey marry urself,
i neva see the babe wey no go gree change her surname to mine,
then the marriage is void,
nonsense!!! angry angry angry
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
[sup]ladies go start to dey vex now o cos i don talk true[/sup]

Spoken like the true warrior of a KING!!
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by Ndipe(m): 3:50am On May 03, 2011
Seun, lock this thread.
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by Princek12(m): 3:52am On May 03, 2011
190:

Ehhen did u say EDUCATION!!

Damnniit direct your teaching to Ogugua!!

Not all women that wear skirt and carry wig are WOMEN OOH!! angry angry

rite now stones don spoil our rice  cheesy

as u see me so, I jele jele dey one side dey watch from one corner

cos  i nor get strength take follow person drag ( after all nor be money we dey share 4 here  undecided)

Spoken like the true warrior of a KING!!

lmao. Me too I am not here to drag with someone, which is why I did not bother to even respond to her. I will just let Ms Chima drag herself in the mud all by herself. She seems to enjoy the back and forth personal attacks, which I refuse to do tonight unless I get paid for doing so.
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by Nobody: 3:55am On May 03, 2011
Princek12:
Historically women have changed their names upon marriage. If you look at many marriages, which I am sure you know many married ladies, those women have changed their name.

Understandably, changing your name is a sacrifice, but if these "modern day" women want to let go of that sacrifice, then they should also be willing to let go of the benefits that women have traditionally enjoyed upon marriage. My point is that you can't keep the "stereotypical benefits" while let go of the "stereotypical sacrifice."

I am sure your mother changes her last name upon marrying your father

Why didn't you answer the question? Lol.

It depends on which tradition or history you read. Mexicans/Spaniards have two last names. [Child's first name] [Mother's Surname] [Father's Surname]. The children usually go by both with legal documents and go by whichever name they choose to with no complications. My ex was Mexican-Honduran. He took on his mother's surname because his father was, in kinder terms, bad lol. I really don't see the issue with that.

This issue, however, is one of worth and possession. It's just a name, quite frankly. It's a big deal to men because women want to think about taking it. It's a big deal to women because men are taking this issue so seriously lol. I was reading a story of a man that took his wife's name. I forgot where I found the article. Anyway, he did it to break tradition and to prove that a name is nothing more than a name. If any of you are asked to take your wife's surname, you'll all shout "NO!" "HOLY GHOST FIRE!" "TUFIAKWA!" A name won't make a woman or a family any more competent, loving, faithful, etc. Surnames have no influence on marriages. If they did, then women would stop changing their names considering most marriages end in divorce and most marriages involve the woman changing her name shocked

I'll speak for myself on this issue because I don't know the minds of others. I don't have my cake and eat it too. When it comes to the surname issue, I will make that decision when the time comes. I have no problem paying for dinner, mine and/or his, I can open doors myself, I can work, etc. My parents raised me that way. I don't need the benefits and I don't need to make the sacrifice to become a successful wife.

I'm going to dig in one of the old family threads and find the post I put there. For some women, this is an identity issue. Will man ever give birth? No. Will majority of man ever change his surname to that of his wife's? No. So, just like I wouldn't expect men to understand birthing, I wouldn't expect men to fully comprehend the identity issue some women have.
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by wizsultan: 3:56am On May 03, 2011
Ndipe:

Seun, lock this thread.

seconded!!!

the thread dey make the brain of our ladies touch
crap
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by wizsultan: 4:02am On May 03, 2011
Princek12:

lmao. Me too I am not here to drag with someone, which is why I did not bother to even respond to her. I will just let Ms Chima drag herself in the mud all by herself. She seems to enjoy the back and forth personal attacks, which I refuse to do tonight unless I get paid for doing so.

Guy!!!
abeg free these babes,
na u dey give them power,
or u wan make ur woman retain her last  name?
na wa 4 u sef,
which kind advice u dey give them,
these babes don too open eye pass ur advice,
u kno wat i mean na
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by MrsChima(f): 4:03am On May 03, 2011

Not all women that wear skirt and carry wig are WOMEN OOH!!  angry angry

This broke nigga speaking from personal experience and not all males with a penis and apple adams are men ooh!  

Real men obtain a job and do not ask women for assistance.
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by Princek12(m): 4:07am On May 03, 2011
ogugua88:

Why didn't you answer the question? Lol.

It depends on which tradition or history you read. Mexicans/Spaniards have two last names. [Child's first name] [Mother's Surname] [Father's Surname]. The children usually go by both with legal documents and go by whichever name they choose to with no complications. My ex was Mexican-Honduran. He took on his mother's surname because his father was, in kinder terms, bad lol. I really don't see the issue with that.

This issue, however, is one of worth and possession. It's just a name, quite frankly. It's a big deal to men because women want to think about taking it. It's a big deal to women because men are taking this issue so seriously lol. I was reading a story of a man that took his wife's name. I forgot where I found the article. Anyway, he did it to break tradition and to prove that a name is nothing more than a name. If any of you are asked to take your wife's surname, you'll all shout "NO!" "HOLY GHOST FIRE!" "TUFIAKWA!" A name won't make a woman or a family any more competent, loving, faithful, etc. Surnames have no influence on marriages. If they did, then women would stop changing their names considering most marriages end in divorce and most marriages involve the woman changing her name shocked

I'll speak for myself on this issue because I don't know the minds of others. I don't have my cake and eat it too. When it comes to the surname issue, I will make that decision when the time comes. I have no problem paying for dinner, mine and/or his, I can open doors myself, I can work, etc. My parents raised me that way. I don't need the benefits and I don't need to make the sacrifice to become a successful wife.

I'm going to dig in one of the old family threads and find the post I put there. For some women, this is an identity issue. Will man ever give birth? No. Will majority of man ever change his surname to that of his wife's? No. So, just like I wouldn't expect men to understand birthing, I wouldn't expect men to fully comprehend the identity issue some women have.

I am not saying a name will make a marriage, but that it probably originated as a symbolic act to recognize the fusion between a man and a woman upon marriage, and that a man is the head of the household.

Many women may decide to keep their names or do whatever they want to do, which would depend upon the husband agreeing to it, anyway. What I mean is that is the husband disagrees, then there would likely be no marriage.

As long as that woman who wants to keep her name is prepared to find a man that will agree to her proposal, she can alternatively choose to stay single like Oprah; that way, she would not have to deal with this issue at all.

Question: did your mother change her name to your father's name upon marriage (if the got married)?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (22)

Sllow Bobo And Chiamaka Aliba's Pre-Wedding Photos / My Six Years Relationship Almost Crashing / How Do I Change This My Mindset About Men?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.