Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,044 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:44 AM

So I Am Getting A Divorce... How Do I Adjust? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / So I Am Getting A Divorce... How Do I Adjust? (48050 Views)

Moving On With Life After Divorce. How Do You Cope? / I Told My Husband That I Cheated On Him. Now He Wants A Divorce. / "My Wife’s Beauty Makes Me Sleepless, I Want A Divorce" - Zimbabwea Man To Judge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: So I Am Getting A Divorce... How Do I Adjust? by BlackyOne: 9:03am On Jan 08, 2022
Optimistic4life:
Year 2021 February to be precise, my husband served me a divorce notice. Though I saw it coming as we have been separated for some months.
The case is still in court though.

We are blessed with 3 kids under 10.

Soon the divorce will be finalized and we will both move on.

How easy is it adjusting to a new life as a divorced lady?

I just want to let it out as I have never discussed this with anyone. Just my immediate family members knows about it.

What is life like out there for me?

The shame, mockery, coping with kids alone, moving on etc

1. Nobody is going to shame or mock you except you have a bad character and you're the major contributing factor for the divorce

2. Except the court decides otherwise, you're not raising the kids alone, they can stay with either parent and still get time with/visitations from the other parent, and the court also will decide on how the kids will be provided for.

3. You can still decide to get married if you meet someone who is willing to settle down with you.

Just move on either way!

2 Likes

Re: So I Am Getting A Divorce... How Do I Adjust? by vickydevoka(m): 9:03am On Jan 08, 2022
HacheNoire:
You will be fine!

Trust me!

But your kids growing up without a fatherly figure, will forever have a psychological impact on them.

The brunt of divorce is bared by the kids. You and their father will be fine.

Exactly! If de can divorce friendly , it's good. Bill gate n how wife divorced friendly. Same with Jeff bezos.

Divorce doesn't mean they hate each other, just that their differences can't be balanced. Staying understand desame roof with such condition is emotional disastrous

4 Likes

Re: So I Am Getting A Divorce... How Do I Adjust? by jumper524(m): 9:03am On Jan 08, 2022
Optimistic4life:
Year 2021 February to be precise, my husband served me a divorce notice. Though I saw it coming as we have been separated for some months.

I just want to let it out as I have never discussed this with anyone. Just my immediate family members knows about it.

if your first child is a son, become friends with him and it'll be fine..
Re: So I Am Getting A Divorce... How Do I Adjust? by vickydevoka(m): 9:03am On Jan 08, 2022
HacheNoire:
You will be fine!

Trust me!

But your kids growing up without a fatherly figure, will forever have a psychological impact on them.

The brunt of divorce is bared by the kids. You and their father will be fine.

Exactly! If de can divorce friendly , it's good. Bill gate n his wife divorced friendly. Same with Jeff bezos.

Divorce doesn't mean they hate each other, just that their differences can't be balanced. Staying understand desame roof with such condition is emotional disastrous
Re: So I Am Getting A Divorce... How Do I Adjust? by FERNANDEZISBACK: 9:03am On Jan 08, 2022
Myexdisturbs:

Misery loves company,I just knew you're a single mother without reading all. No wonder you're eager to welcome her to your suffering club tongue
Ok..
Re: So I Am Getting A Divorce... How Do I Adjust? by mybiz234: 9:03am On Jan 08, 2022
kmcutez:

You mean the same Jesus that has taken the position of God, and blocked access to God except through him. Hmm, I remember the devil making that same comment, that he will be like God.

Please, who told you this rubbish?
Re: So I Am Getting A Divorce... How Do I Adjust? by FERNANDEZISBACK: 9:03am On Jan 08, 2022
RPG2020:

Carry one of your brother give her since no big deal

There kids almost 10 years

If you don't gerrite forgerrite
Ok..
Re: So I Am Getting A Divorce... How Do I Adjust? by Lexusgs430: 9:04am On Jan 08, 2022
Optimistic4life:

Remain optimistic, look after yourself and your kids...... If love comes knocking, give it a chance(with caution) !!!!!

Be an achiever, so when your ex see's you..... He would regret his decision.... That makes you a true winner....

1 Like

Re: So I Am Getting A Divorce... How Do I Adjust? by Buskynwa: 9:05am On Jan 08, 2022
Kokoebapluse:
You don't tell why your husband want you guys divorce. But whatever it may be my sister leave pride aside beg your husband and ask his family to beg him.

Outside is not funny. Be a single mum is not easy. Don't follow advice from some women here, women are the enemy of women. Women don't like each other they will want you to be like them in regret. Tell me how many man ready to accept you with 3kids? Madam beg your husband and be more hard working later you won't get time to fight your husband.

@optimistic4life
Please take this advice, it's the best, for both you,the kids and the dad I promise you .... I have an aunt who is a divorcee with 3 kids, it's not easy out there for her.
Re: So I Am Getting A Divorce... How Do I Adjust? by SmartMen: 9:06am On Jan 08, 2022
Optimistic4life:

I am sorry about your situation and I only want to talk about the emboldened. Do not overthink it. See this as a way to grow more and accomplish more. I know it is not going to be easy and I know it will be hard with aches.

What I will suggest is that you should not let this situation cage you. You grow, you can become better. You can acquire new skills that will open new doors of opportunity for you and your kids.

If you are confused about that, please when you have the time, enroll for courses on Udemy.com or use YouTube to learn more so that you can have better finances to take care of your kids and live a happier life.

I just want you to know that you have a better future.

2 Likes

Re: So I Am Getting A Divorce... How Do I Adjust? by Nobody: 9:08am On Jan 08, 2022
If divorce means you escaped with your life then God be with you you’ll be okay. People don’t understand marrying a Nigerian man is like signing up for the navy or army your either recruited celebrated and advanced or rejected or maybe he loved you in the beginning and so they promoted you but then 2 weeks later yes that’s how long it can take to just break your vows you are summoned and sent to some far of Distance into the jungle to fight imaginary war alone. 9 times out of 10 it’s the location dispatcher woman you discover your man is sleeping with that’s why the place is far and full of mosquitos just imagine the kind of love we had in those days no twitter trend just telegram of I’m not coming which May end up being for your own good in the long run.

Love is wonderful without cruel intentions those ones be happy they go

Sometimes I argue with love and he’ll refer to my parents divorce lol children do need both parents but a decent example of love, faith and trust is important to every child. There’s no point repeating the child hood you had strive to work together but sometimes it’s like those paddling boats at whispering palms some people are paddling in the wrong direction so instead of the boat to move it’s standstill so now paddle your boat without the confusion.

3 Likes

Re: So I Am Getting A Divorce... How Do I Adjust? by kansoboy: 9:08am On Jan 08, 2022
Madam I have already been divorced long ago..since u have been saparated for months,

All I will tell u is this: is not goin to be easy for u have over 3 kids to take care of, if no kid or just one kid, then I can say ride on, but u see 3kids? U will be stressed out, forget about remarrying for a very long time, as most men that will come around u making adavances and telling u sweet things just only want to have sex with u an run.

If your family members are giving u mind to get on with the divorce process, remember that sooner or later those family members will start mking Mockery of u and Ur failed Marriage, then depression will set in for u.

Divorce is not easy for women worst of all woman with kids in this Africa cum NIGERIA.

My humble opinion, think it out well for the divorce process,
I would have said, if the problem is reconciliable, please go and reconcile, if it takes you to go and beg this so husband or go to his family, look for who he respect most and let the person go with you to beg him and reconcile.
That a man:
Cheats
Womanise
Sleep outside

Is not a enough reason to leave your marriage, because the next holy man u see out is going to still cheat.

If you are the sturborn type and believe the man can go to hell and u don't need husband......think again.
Arrive is all about sacrifice, as a mother or father(husband or wife) u must sacrifice every thing possible for the sake of your children.

However, you alone will face what ever that come after Ur divorce good or bad.

Do not compare Ur mairrage / divorce with d present yeyebrities that marry today and divorce tomorrow, and still marry again to divorce again...those ones are purely ashawos and okpoh they are into.

Goodluck

10 Likes

Re: So I Am Getting A Divorce... How Do I Adjust? by OmoOshodi(m): 9:08am On Jan 08, 2022
Tell us wetin you do

If it's due to being promiscuous ....

then getat

1 Like

Re: So I Am Getting A Divorce... How Do I Adjust? by oakson: 9:10am On Jan 08, 2022
()
Re: So I Am Getting A Divorce... How Do I Adjust? by Psoul(m): 9:10am On Jan 08, 2022
Optimistic4life:

It is not always easy for the female gender coping with divorce especially in Africa.
Once there is a divorce, everyone believes that the problem is from the woman. She is a disobedient and arrogant woman.

Outside this, other problems that may hit a divorced woman is financial issues.
Handling the family alone, where children are involved.
Also, the woman becomes vulnerable. Like a woman her protective shield has been removed from her.
You see men approaching her without restrictions, making some silly demands from her unlike wen they will have the fear of her husband when she was still married. This can be a very difficult thing for the woman to handle, especially for those that care about their dignity.

There is also this feelings of loneliness. The nostalgic feeling of bn cared for and not the one running around for virtually everything.
Sometimes, you will need someone very dear to talk to especially that midnight talks and caring. Coping wt this is more easier for men than women.

When the divorce finally comes, take your time to grieve about it. There is no shame in doing that. Even if you are the one pushing for a divorce, I believe there must be things you will miss about ur ex. Grieve if it is necessary. Wake up and move on.
Don't build up your heart with lots of hatred about him. This will prolong your healing time. Learn to move on without hatred.
Don't try to behave as if you are in competition wt him to show who is more pained or things like dat.
Just go ahead and live your normal life.
Try as much as possible to go out and make more money. Financial independence makes the journey easier. Once you are broke, you will start looking back to those days he was there for u and your pains will multiply. Make money.
Go out more. Make good friends. Look your best and talk about your situation to very close and reliable friends or families.
Don't let anyone start feeding you bad news about your ex. This may also have negative effect on you.
Take your time and start dating once again.

Finally, if there is a way to avert this divorce, it will be the best option unless if what brought about it is kind of irreconcilable.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: So I Am Getting A Divorce... How Do I Adjust? by meetme01: 9:10am On Jan 08, 2022
Optimistic4life:

Custody of the kids with their ages will be awarded to you except the kids or any of them want to stay with their father. Though,court don't support such separation because of their growth. So, the development of the kids if what you need to work upon

Are you a working class lady? If yes, it will be tedious depending on your job though. Civil Servant much still liberal, Private firm very difficult and self employed,no problem

The court will certainly award some amount of money has upkeep and the father would be responsible for the school fees. All that is required from you is to give access and also support the kids.

Ma'am, don't rely on all these upkeep money,it's can never be enough so, work hard to raise up the kids. If you still have aged parents, that's another avenue you can use for their development

Most importantly, you now have the all the time to yourself. Body no be firewood. Ensure you are smart about it and weigh options before getting into another marriage of having a baby. I'd advise you don't have more but be smart in keeping the body fit.
Re: So I Am Getting A Divorce... How Do I Adjust? by Tallesty1(m): 9:11am On Jan 08, 2022
Ihavethingstodo:
Coping with kids alone? Your ex husband has to support o, the kids are not yours only, they are his too! It won't be easy but God will see you through!!!!

The children suffer most when the parents divorce.
Why God no see her through in marriage? I thought they said that he hates divorce.

Nigerians sha, someone said that her husband served her "I no do again notice" and some of you are already calling the man names.

Nobody gives a dam about what he's been through. SMH
Re: So I Am Getting A Divorce... How Do I Adjust? by Heavance(m): 9:11am On Jan 08, 2022
I can't even advice.
I just hope and pray a lot of young people are reading the comments, to know its nit about how fine the pre-wedding pictures are (which sometimes turn post-wedding pics), or how fine the uniform (aso-ebi) cloth is, or how big the day is....
I think people need to be asked serious questions, questions about life before they get into it.... Questions like, what if you find out your wife/husband is cheating after 2 years of marriage, what would you do?
What if your husband /wife is so disrespectful after 2 years of getting married?
What happens if another women turned up that she is pregnant for your man?
What if he/she is the type that reports everything in the house to his/her family, without regards?
What happens if he/she becomes abusive?
What happens if he/she becomes so lazy that they don't get involved in house chores, and dirty habits sets in?
What if life happens and one is hospitalised?
What if life happens and financial aspect is really affected that to eat becomes a problem?
What happens if your wife change and your siblings and mother are not comfortable coming to your house anymore?
What happens if your wife and your mom are not on good terms?
What happens when you are not crazy about each other again, when those energy for love has vanished, what do you think next?
Then finally they should think, what could lead them to divorce?

I believe these questions will help all young people know what they are going into, and know how to tackle whatever wants to damage their home...those questions are the reason for those plenty talk of in sickness in health....
Forget all the fasting and prayers, leave religion out of it, these questions are reality check.... In fact, it happens after 1 year of the wedding, check many homes, this things happen steadily.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: So I Am Getting A Divorce... How Do I Adjust? by sgtponzihater1(m): 9:14am On Jan 08, 2022
Divorce is a sad one, but it's not the end of the world. As long as you didn't commit a crime, keep your head up and do what you can. Life is fleeting, and in heaven many of these things would not matter. All the best
Re: So I Am Getting A Divorce... How Do I Adjust? by vickydevoka(m): 9:15am On Jan 08, 2022
obiekunie01:
hmmm.

How about living for Jesus Chris? Try it and you won't regret. wink
Women this days don't believe in church, the believe in Instagram or social media. They have their role models their. 90% of lady act the same.
Re: So I Am Getting A Divorce... How Do I Adjust? by tradepunter: 9:15am On Jan 08, 2022
FERNANDEZISBACK:

What shame?what mockery huh..?
Are you trying to please brainless persons or what?
Let them talk live your life..you are bothering yourself unnecessarily..
** am a single mum of **** wink so I see no big deal there..

Now coming to solution are the kids gonna be in your custody or his?look life as a divorced woman is quite strenuous..from stereotype to being alone to your mental health to the daft society who are always gonna criticize you..

Just get hold of yourself and wave it off..as a divorced woman I bet you gonna be more self confident.. productive and enjoy your life more..follow your passion and take care of yourself properly.. welcome to the club of unlimited merriment.. grin grin cheesy wink

And will miss s** also.... See ehn forget all the rosey party.

It's hella of stressful because every guy from young to old would just wanna chop and go.

Reason because they see no Future in prolonging such relationship, if any is formed.

Also that father figure is another essential part, the children will miss that component.

My advice is the father should be active in their lives.... It's a very complex place to be in as a woman.
Re: So I Am Getting A Divorce... How Do I Adjust? by easzypeaszy(m): 9:15am On Jan 08, 2022
Hathor5:

Divorce does not mean that the father will stop being a father.
it can't be Oga..we men are somhw..som1 like me if I stop loving der mother n we divorced I won be free wt d kids n may not visit sef..I fit dey send money..unless d kids r undr my watch..Men most attach feelings to wht dey see not hear
Re: So I Am Getting A Divorce... How Do I Adjust? by vickydevoka(m): 9:16am On Jan 08, 2022
madone:
Just make sure u remarry. You will be fine . Keep urself beautiful
Who will be with the kids?
U go gree allow 3 kids for your new home . Not even 1.
Re: So I Am Getting A Divorce... How Do I Adjust? by FERNANDEZISBACK: 9:16am On Jan 08, 2022
tradepunter:

And will miss s** also.... See ehn forget all the rosey party.

It's hella of stressful because every guy from young to old would just wanna chop and go.

Reason because they see no Future in prolonging such relationship, if any is formed.

Also that father figure is another essential part, the children will miss that component.

My advice is the father should be active in their lives.... It's a very complex place to be in as a woman.
I understand you perfectly and you made complete sense..
Re: So I Am Getting A Divorce... How Do I Adjust? by Spherical77(m): 9:16am On Jan 08, 2022
Saintinoo:

The day you women will understand that there is only one captain in a ship, that is the day divorce will stop. kindly leave with it.
Lol and you think only men divorce their wife ba?

Statistically, women are the highest initiators of divorce if you don't know

1 Like

Re: So I Am Getting A Divorce... How Do I Adjust? by Willie2015: 9:16am On Jan 08, 2022
Optimistic4life:

It,s hard .... cold....
And a lonely path....
Plz stick with God and prayers in this season...
God is the father of the fatherless and protector of the Widows..
He will direct your steps and hold your hands when you stumble,
And you will not fall IJN.
Re: So I Am Getting A Divorce... How Do I Adjust? by Wumex91: 9:17am On Jan 08, 2022
Re: So I Am Getting A Divorce... How Do I Adjust? by President2001(m): 9:19am On Jan 08, 2022
Optimistic4life:

Is a pity that you have not realized the issue you went through, I can see you are very happy about the divorce without you think or guess what is behind it and what you are going to face, if you think divorce has brought freedom for you is a big mistakes you won't understand it until when you are out, asking people what life look like after been divorce from you is a big shame you are not sober rather you want people that can't control themselves talkless of marrying advise you here keep it up I clap for you

Re: So I Am Getting A Divorce... How Do I Adjust? by vickydevoka(m): 9:20am On Jan 08, 2022
FERNANDEZISBACK:

What shame?what mockery huh..?
Are you trying to please brainless persons or what?
Let them talk live your life..you are bothering yourself unnecessarily..
** am a single mum of **** wink so I see no big deal there..

Now coming to solution are the kids gonna be in your custody or his?look life as a divorced woman is quite strenuous..from stereotype to being alone to your mental health to the daft society who are always gonna criticize you..

Just get hold of yourself and wave it off..as a divorced woman I bet you gonna be more self confident.. productive and enjoy your life more..follow your passion and take care of yourself properly.. welcome to the club of unlimited merriment.. grin grin cheesy wink
UNLIMITED MERRIMENT. many women love this club
Re: So I Am Getting A Divorce... How Do I Adjust? by MumuYorubaBoy: 9:21am On Jan 08, 2022
Optimistic4life:

There's no shame. The primary challenge is coping with kids alone. But where the ex husband wasn't around originally, you can always adjust like you've been doing before now.

Live positively and trust yourself. It really matters. Also have a means of livelihood.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

My Husband Hasn't Touched Me For More Than A Year / See What This Man Did To Save His Mum's Life / Kenyan Woman Who Left Her Husband Of 20yrs To Marry The "Holy Spirit" Found Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.