Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,127 members, 7,818,379 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:56 PM

Is it Wrong to Call Your Friend's Wife by her first name? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is it Wrong to Call Your Friend's Wife by her first name? (29008 Views)

Prophet Oluwaseun Akinnubi Impregnates Friendโ€™s Wife In Ondo / My Friendโ€™s Wife Is Cheating / I Punished My Wife By Sleeping With Her Younger Sister - Nigerian Father Of Two (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is it Wrong to Call Your Friend's Wife by her first name? by Clinton14(m): 1:24pm On Feb 21, 2023
WackyJ1:
Is it a crime to call the Wife of your friend by her first name?

I've known this guy since 2018. He met his wife in 2020.

They've done traditional wedding.

I once followed this guy to law faculty of our school during our Masters program and spent 6 hours typing the project of his then ex.

The same ex ended up blaming him for her misfortune.

I'm the best man for his white wedding tomorrow.

Yet, he's warning me for calling his wife her first name in the same sentence where I also referred to my girlfriend by her own first name.

He claims I was wrong and he has refused to apologise.

I need this one the front page.

Was I wrong?

MORE DETAILS
https://www.nairaland.com/7563621/it-wrong-call-friends-wife/2#120932806

Just quietly remove yourself from this guy's life after the wedding,he is so backward

1 Like

Re: Is it Wrong to Call Your Friend's Wife by her first name? by Ebeano49(m): 1:24pm On Feb 21, 2023
Africans pretending to be Europeans! Calling the wife by her first name is discourteous especially if you do not have close relationship with her.
You can call her 'Mummy X', 'Lolo', 'Madam', etc. You are respecting YOUR friend; not the wife!
If your friend is uncomfortable with you calling his wife by her first name, then respect his wish! Are you here for us to validate your disrespect? Please!

4 Likes

Re: Is it Wrong to Call Your Friend's Wife by her first name? by spartachico(m): 1:24pm On Feb 21, 2023
lol and you sef reply leemao
WackyJ1:

He say make I dey call am "My Wife"
Re: Is it Wrong to Call Your Friend's Wife by her first name? by biggz82: 1:24pm On Feb 21, 2023
bro,I don tell you..give those people chance o..before see finish go enter... especially if you are still single...even my brother's wife way older than me...I call her madamB or ladyB( thats what I call her before they got married and start what I still call her till tomorrow,saved her number with it sef).even to the extent that my bro na calls her that...B is her initial..though people might argue it's different from calling her her name but remember na my elder bro wife and not my friend's wife...

I read your 1st comment e go well cos you talk my mind , I read this 1 u still talk my mind small. Make I jux talk my mind finish, if na me tomorrow wen b the wedding day I go get malaria by force i no go attend so that we go use that 1 give ourself space

just use your head...this matter don dey vex me already...if you called her her name on before the trad wedding,the Mumu for no complain o..well na him.luck Sha..if na me..I don free am[/quote]
Re: Is it Wrong to Call Your Friend's Wife by her first name? by excellentj4teal(m): 1:24pm On Feb 21, 2023
This is one reason I'm trying to stay away from some friends. My wife and i have two kids together and you still have the gut to be calling her by her name because you knew when we were dating. So disrespectful!

3 Likes

Re: Is it Wrong to Call Your Friend's Wife by her first name? by Ikea81: 1:24pm On Feb 21, 2023
Bro wetin dey really pain the guy na the name.......some names don cast like Jessica and precious ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚.

But come to think of it. My friends and I don't call our wives first names o. They call mine iya ibeji while I call theirs madam. Hmmmm ๐Ÿค”

1 Like

Re: Is it Wrong to Call Your Friend's Wife by her first name? by superCleanworks(m): 1:25pm On Feb 21, 2023
WackyJ1:

Was I wrong?

Bros. Please read this carefully.
not everything is judged on the bases of RIGHT & WRONG in this life.

Don't take offense, if his name is JOHN, just start calling him MRS. JOHN anywhere and anytime. Na your guy go taya last last.

You need to thank God he even told you this in a written message which you should never delete. Some would hold grudges and later tell the world that you are sleeping with his wife and that is why you are so familiar with her.

1 Like

Re: Is it Wrong to Call Your Friend's Wife by her first name? by 79733139(m): 1:25pm On Feb 21, 2023
WackyJ1:

I see.

You're one of those.

Like I asked him.

Is it "My Wife" that will appear on the Marriage certificate, the school certificate, the court documents?

I did not call the girl's name in a disrespectful way.

It isn't an insult to me. Just stop associating with him if you don't want more of that nonsense.
Re: Is it Wrong to Call Your Friend's Wife by her first name? by superCleanworks(m): 1:25pm On Feb 21, 2023
Ikea81:

But come to think of it. My friends and I don't call our wives first names o. They call mine iya ibeji while I call theirs madam. Hmmmm ๐Ÿค”

E no pass like that oh.
Re: Is it Wrong to Call Your Friend's Wife by her first name? by Kingzz0001: 1:25pm On Feb 21, 2023
I am married.
My close friends call my wife by her name.
I don't see anything wrong with that.
These are the things that make the relationship informal.
Once we start addressing friends with titles, it becomes a formal relationship.

For him to tell you to address her with formal titles means you guys are not really close.

I would say same to someone I don't feel close to calling my wife by her name... Something I would not do with my close friends.

Know this and know peace... Though u may put the tradition in ur locality in view when doing this.
If its a norm in ur locality, u may wish to let it slide.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is it Wrong to Call Your Friend's Wife by her first name? by Mercury12(m): 1:26pm On Feb 21, 2023
Richy4:
Abeg no vex, I no understand... Wetin he say make you dey call her again please? I didn't get that part embarassed
hahahaha
The matter sef tire me ๐Ÿ˜‚
Re: Is it Wrong to Call Your Friend's Wife by her first name? by biggz82: 1:26pm On Feb 21, 2023
bro,I don tell you..give those people chance o..before see finish go enter... especially if you are still single...even my brother's wife way older than me...I call her madamB or ladyB( thats what I call her before they got married and start what I still call her till tomorrow,saved her number with it sef).even to the extent that my bro na calls her that...B is her initial..though people might argue it's different from calling her her name but remember na my elder bro wife and not my friend's wife...

just use your head...this matter don dey vex me already...if you called her her name on before the trad wedding,the Mumu for no complain o..well na him.luck Sha..if na me..I don free am

I read your 1st comment e go well cos you talk my mind , I read this 1 u still talk my mind small. Make I jux talk my mind finish, if na me tomorrow wen b the wedding day I go get malaria by force i no go attend so that we go use that 1 give ourself space
Re: Is it Wrong to Call Your Friend's Wife by her first name? by superCleanworks(m): 1:27pm On Feb 21, 2023
WackyJ1:

I see.

You're one of those.

Like I asked him.

Is it "My Wife" that will appear on the Marriage certificate, the school certificate, the court documents?

Bros. stop trying to commonize this matter oh. if he wants you to call his wife Lord of Lords, okada, bingo, batman, Halleberry, stone, that is what he wants.
you don't have to call her that if you do not feel comfortable with it. simply leave them jeje rather than stating history of familarity you both have to prove your point.

He don tell you make you no dey call him wife name again. If you call am again na YOU society go blame oh. Nobody will hear all this familiarity story of how you and the wife was in kindergarten together as an excuse.
Maybe she was even the one that complained to your friend, do you know?

1 Like

Re: Is it Wrong to Call Your Friend's Wife by her first name? by Mercury12(m): 1:29pm On Feb 21, 2023
sisisioge:
E show say na locale him be....better start calling her Iyawo or madam or Mrs. Locale. When them see front commot naija go obodo oyinbo where children dey call person wey fit be their mama by name, their head go correct. Until then, humour them and move go front, they aren't really your friends.

Meanwhile, na wa for you too o, you sabi do useless friendship sha. Typing person gf project for 6hrs ๐Ÿคญ๐Ÿคญ๐Ÿคญ
Hahahaha๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

You pledged to vawulence๐Ÿ˜‚

1 Like

Re: Is it Wrong to Call Your Friend's Wife by her first name? by StrongAlphMale: 1:30pm On Feb 21, 2023
sisisioge:

Meanwhile, na wa for you too o, you sabi do useless friendship sha. Typing person gf project for 6hrs๐Ÿคญ๐Ÿคญ๐Ÿคญ

Na this one pain me pass aswear.

Both the guy and his friend na Mumu simp Dem be
Re: Is it Wrong to Call Your Friend's Wife by her first name? by Rubbiish(m): 1:31pm On Feb 21, 2023
WackyJ1:

Bros.
The insult I don see this night.
I just decided to limit it to this question.
Cut this ur friend off!
He doesn't respect u simple!
A friend that respects u won't dare to say such
Re: Is it Wrong to Call Your Friend's Wife by her first name? by Reinamaria(f): 1:31pm On Feb 21, 2023
Alcoron:
You were not wrong.

He wasn't right.
The way his friend went about it was wrong too.

I believe in situations like this, at first it may seem as nothing, then it gets to a point, it becomes awkward calling your friend's wife by her name, whether in his presence or absence.
You just naturally start addressing her with a term that sounds more comfortable.

I guess the friend was too impatient to let things happen naturally. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Is it Wrong to Call Your Friend's Wife by her first name? by postmann: 1:32pm On Feb 21, 2023
WackyJ1:

I see.

You're one of those.

Like I asked him.

It doesn't matter what appears in her certificate. It's obviously not your darn business what does.

What every self respecting man would do is abide by what a man wishes as proper for his wife to be addressed.

It is simple enough.

2 Likes

Re: Is it Wrong to Call Your Friend's Wife by her first name? by Rubbiish(m): 1:33pm On Feb 21, 2023
rickpat:
bro,I don tell you..give those people chance o..before see finish go enter... especially if you are still single...even my brother's wife way older than me..
@bold See finish don enter already na
Who know wetin him friend dey tell him wife for back if him get the guts to warn him directly. He should end that friendship if him get self respect.
Re: Is it Wrong to Call Your Friend's Wife by her first name? by Mercury12(m): 1:33pm On Feb 21, 2023
techWriter3:
Sincerely, your guy na ode
omo shocked

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
Re: Is it Wrong to Call Your Friend's Wife by her first name? by We4all: 1:34pm On Feb 21, 2023
Abbeytoy:
You're wrong, even if the lady is your junior sister from same bloody, immediately she got married is when you stop calling her name.

Oloriburuku, so because my younger sister gets married I should stop calling her by her name? I still call my married eldest sister by her name and the world didn't end.

2 Likes

Re: Is it Wrong to Call Your Friend's Wife by her first name? by StrongAlphMale: 1:35pm On Feb 21, 2023
WackyJ1:

This one said I cannot address the woman by her name at all.

So because a man marries you, no one can address you by your first name again?

The man paying money to marry you erases your identity?

The woman changes her surname, yes, but the first name does not change.

I was addressing her by her surname before he did traditional marriage for her.

Now I cannot address her by her name again?

Seems you talk too much and also rant like a simp.

Oga we've told you to cut that guy off. Don't you have sense? Your mumu simp friend is the type that would do anything possible to please a woman just like the foolish simp he is.

Cut that idiot off at once

1 Like

Re: Is it Wrong to Call Your Friend's Wife by her first name? by superCleanworks(m): 1:35pm On Feb 21, 2023
postmann:

It doesn't matter what appears in her certificate. It's obviously not your darn business what does.

What every self respecting man would do is abide by what a man wishes as proper for his wife to be addressed.

It is simple enough.

Leave am make he dey quote history of how they were friends since 1960.
He better kneel down and thank God that the friend even bothered to write it in a SMS.
some will just conclude that you are sleeping with their wife hence the familiarity.

the guy nova know anything, just leave am.

3 Likes

Re: Is it Wrong to Call Your Friend's Wife by her first name? by We4all: 1:37pm On Feb 21, 2023
0monnak0da:

Not all Africans do
Some nonAfricans borrow African religion too
That is peculiar logic
All cultures borrow
It is rude to use first names in most places not just Africa

I am more African than you but when it comes to addressing people, I use their first names. If you don't like it, then don't come close to me. I even encourage kids to address me by my first name.
Re: Is it Wrong to Call Your Friend's Wife by her first name? by dochenaj: 1:37pm On Feb 21, 2023
WackyJ1:

I once followed this guy to law faculty of our school during our Masters program and spent 6 hours typing the project of his then ex.

Yet, he's warning me for calling his wife her first name in the same sentence where I also referred to my girlfriend by her own first name.

Was I wrong?

MORE DETAILS
Your friend definitely has some psychological issues. Is he autistic?

Cos that is the only thing that will make me accept this kind of behaviour from a grown up man.
Re: Is it Wrong to Call Your Friend's Wife by her first name? by Gandrova: 1:41pm On Feb 21, 2023
Your friend has mental problem. You are the one that supposed to decide what to call her either to continue calling Joy or madam joy. Since your friend decided to be stupid and dictate for you. Bro kindly distance your self from a useless friend like him, before you will visit them and they will ask you to go and wash their plates !
Re: Is it Wrong to Call Your Friend's Wife by her first name? by UYEMDO35(m): 1:42pm On Feb 21, 2023
WackyJ1:

Was I wrong?

MORE DETAILS
Guy! Your friend get pride and if you continue to stick with him.... He go see you finish. Better still after the wedding try as much as possible to avoid him so that you won't have problem with him. From my observation he and his wife might bad-mouth u behind your back and then pretend to laugh with you when you around Dem.

If my friend should tell me that...... It won't be funny. I see no wrong in calling my friend wife by her name.

1 Like

Re: Is it Wrong to Call Your Friend's Wife by her first name? by 0monnak0da: 1:42pm On Feb 21, 2023
We4all:

I am more African than you but when it comes to addressing people, I use their first names. If you don't like it, then don't come close to me. I even encourage kids to address me by my first name.
Already you talk foolishly
Twice in such a short remark
More African than me? Based on what?
You address people by their first name if they don't like it don't come close?More foolish talk
Come close for what? Who the help are you? Emefiele?

In such a short remark you condense do much conceit and foolishness.

1 Like

Re: Is it Wrong to Call Your Friend's Wife by her first name? by Abbeytoy(m): 1:43pm On Feb 21, 2023
We4all:

Oloriburuku, so because my younger sister gets married I should stop calling her by her name? I still call my married eldest sister by her name and the world didn't end.

At bolded is for you and your family.

According to my own culture and my family, we accord them with respect.
Re: Is it Wrong to Call Your Friend's Wife by her first name? by Karleb(m): 1:43pm On Feb 21, 2023
Ivanspring:
Nawao....

Please all those saying it's wrong, where was it written that once you get married that your first name becomes sacred, especially when you are supposed to be close friends and agemates?

Your culture is not my culture. Stop imposing your culture on others!

grin

They will tell parents to call their married children aunty if care is not taken.

1 Like

Re: Is it Wrong to Call Your Friend's Wife by her first name? by Osanoghodua1: 1:43pm On Feb 21, 2023
I call my friend's wife
By her first name and most times
Madam or Mummy. Be sure they're not offended and do take correction from them

2 Likes

Re: Is it Wrong to Call Your Friend's Wife by her first name? by Automolite: 1:44pm On Feb 21, 2023
Ramanto:
My best friend calls my wife by name, but something inside of me is not cool with but I won't make a fight of that
When u start having issues with how ur "best friend" addresses ur wife, then he is no longer ur best friend but just another regular guy on the street.
Some things are more important than "first name".

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

"My Wife Put Poison In My Mealsโ€™โ€™, Retired Naval Officer Tells Court / Wish A Nairalander And His Twin Sister A Happy Birthday. / Which Is The Best Option To Land A Good Wife?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.