Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,429 members, 7,815,967 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:29 PM

Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice - Family (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice (52660 Views)

Why I Won't Allow My Brother To Bring His Wife Abroad- Nigerian Lady, Arike(vid) / Don't Marry Me If You Won't Allow My Relations To Stay Or Visit Me. / My Wife's Elder Sister Has Finally Settled In My Home & I Don't Know What To Do (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (33) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Nobody: 10:20pm On Mar 29, 2023
Make me get out..😝😝😝
Justbehave:
What's wrong with this girl without brains? You sound so stupid with your questions. Pls get out from here.
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by BigIyanga: 10:20pm On Mar 29, 2023
Neweramify:
Op your wife was wrong, but try and understand her fear. Most women feel inconvenient around their mother inlaw. Not because she hates her mother inlaw but for the fear of the unknown.

Let her know how you feel knowing she wanna bring her mum in when she rejected your mum. I'm sure she will feel remorse of her action.

Permit her to bring her mum, cause if anything happen to the old woman, she may accuse you of one thing or the other.
So guys’ moms are bad and divisive MIL… but girls’ mums are good and saintly… A girl’s MIL is another girl’s best biological
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by NaBanga: 10:20pm On Mar 29, 2023
If you had moved your mother in, your wife would have had to care for your mother, not you. Then on top she would have to take care of her mother now. So it would not have been fair to move your mother in unless you were the one fully caring for her. Moving your wife's mother in, is not the same.

1 Like

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Raalsalghul: 10:21pm On Mar 29, 2023
shantti:

This is not funny.

Bro e funny oh.

The baby mama part had me in stitches

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Okhuadams(m): 10:22pm On Mar 29, 2023
ozalogbo:
I am the first child of my mother, and I have two younger male siblings. I am doing well financially. My wife is the last of four children in her family. My dad died when I was still in the university, and this affected my mum.

However, as she aged, her health waned. She was a retired teacher. My brothers are not in the country. Both of them are in Europe. I wanted to have my mother stay with me in her later years because of her health and loneliness but my wife did not want it.

Whenever she was ill and I brought her home to be with us, my wife was usually hostile, especially if my mum had stayed beyond a week. She did not hid her disapproval, and this caused problems in the marriage. People advised that I should send my mum away and pay someone to live with her and take care of her. They said that marriage was between a man and his wife, not between a man, his wife, and his mother. I did and peace returned. Eventually my mum passed on after a few years.

Along the line, my father in law also died. And down the line, my mother in law's health began to deteriorate. We live in the same town. Among my wife's siblings she is the only one doing quite well. Now there are suggestions that the mother should come and live with us so that my wife can give her proper care. I believe that her living with us and seeing her grandchildren will help her. And indeed i have no problem accepting her, but when i remember the treatment my wife gave to my mum, there is a strong revulsion, in fact, anger in me. I shared with a friend, and he advised i forgive my wife, but the revulsion is so strong that i would feel cheated if i agreed.

What do you guys think. She reminded me then that marriage was between a man and his wife only. Shouldn't this also apply to my wife now?
Remind her also what 8s good for the turkey is also good for the hen. Stiles they say na only them go school of sense and science
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Gandrova: 10:23pm On Mar 29, 2023
Bros don't allow such to happen,never! Your useless wife detest your mum that laboured for years to have made you what you are today. And you allowed her to die without staying with you. You better start fasting and ask for forgiveness, because you have committed serious sin.
Back to the main question,your wife she is a useless woman in making.

1 Like

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Rinoxy: 10:23pm On Mar 29, 2023
cococandy:
When sick and old in-laws come to love with the family, the expectation is that the wife will be the one to provide care for the sick and old family member. So your wife should have the final say on who’s coming for extended say in my opinion.

Because let’s face it, your wife would have been the one to give your mom bed baths, bathroom care etc. now that her mom is coming, she’s still the one who will be expected to do that. Not you.

So it might not be the presence of your mom she didn’t want. She just didn’t want the extra responsibility which invariably falls on her. Before you ask why she can’t treat your mom the way she treats her mom, know that her mom will be willing to die for her but your mom won’t. That’s the difference

Na talk be dis??
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Cowbell521: 10:24pm On Mar 29, 2023
NaBanga:
If you had moved your mother in, your wife would have had to care for your mother, not you. Then on top she would have to take care of her mother now. So it would not have been fair to move your mother in unless you were the one fully caring for her. Moving your wife's mother in, is not the same.
Human beings are talking, this amoeba is talking. Let her go and take care of her mother in her father's house
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Nobody: 10:24pm On Mar 29, 2023
Why are you Nigerian men this emotional? Is it because of the environment you were raised in or is it just a genetic thing
shantti:

Then why did you made the assumption sice it was not inferred. Why? You just want your gender to win right?
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by mcmurphy132(m): 10:24pm On Mar 29, 2023
ozalogbo:
I am the first child of my mother, and I have two younger male siblings. I am doing well financially. My wife is the last of four children in her family. My dad died when I was still in the university, and this affected my mum.

However, as she aged, her health waned. She was a retired teacher. My brothers are not in the country. Both of them are in Europe. I wanted to have my mother stay with me in her later years because of her health and loneliness but my wife did not want it.

Whenever she was ill and I brought her home to be with us, my wife was usually hostile, especially if my mum had stayed beyond a week. She did not hid her disapproval, and this caused problems in the marriage. People advised that I should send my mum away and pay someone to live with her and take care of her. They said that marriage was between a man and his wife, not between a man, his wife, and his mother. I did and peace returned. Eventually my mum passed on after a few years.

Along the line, my father in law also died. And down the line, my mother in law's health began to deteriorate. We live in the same town. Among my wife's siblings she is the only one doing quite well. Now there are suggestions that the mother should come and live with us so that my wife can give her proper care. I believe that her living with us and seeing her grandchildren will help her. And indeed i have no problem accepting her, but when i remember the treatment my wife gave to my mum, there is a strong revulsion, in fact, anger in me. I shared with a friend, and he advised i forgive my wife, but the revulsion is so strong that i would feel cheated if i agreed.

What do you guys think. She reminded me then that marriage was between a man and his wife only. Shouldn't this also apply to my wife now?

Your mother Gave birth to you hoping that when she grow age that she will find some to take care of her but unfortunately you listen to you wife see how you disappoint you mother..

Until giving her money or building a house for her is the only reason she gave birth and train you?.. she gave birth to you for situation like this
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Peppysco: 10:25pm On Mar 29, 2023
Zupay:

I WON'T because in my worldwiew, adding more wives into the household don't solve problems.

Your 'worldview', don't worry, when that time reach, you go remember this talk.
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Justbehave(m): 10:25pm On Mar 29, 2023
NaBanga:
Trash from a trans.
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by kodix(m): 10:25pm On Mar 29, 2023
If the above is what she sincerely did then stick to it,because if it is that marriage is BTW man and woman you will not allow third party in it to secure your marriage too,bcs if her mum enter,her siblings living around will also come,problems elopes ,financial expenditures increases,disrespects from one persons or other(may be her siblings) problems jump in,family scatter!
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by eyinjuege: 10:26pm On Mar 29, 2023
NaBanga:

He could have employed the same maid he had to employ for his mom.
They would both have been in his home- mum and maid
The wife likely refused that option.
Everyone deserves their privacy including OPs wife and even OP himself.
I'm sure he would like to be free in his house with just his immediate family, and no 3rd party like his MIL
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by BJanta: 10:26pm On Mar 29, 2023
Of course, along with your father in- law .
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by slimshady1000: 10:26pm On Mar 29, 2023
Aklee4994:
comot mouth for Nigeria matter you this slut of a thing forming big girl on faceless forum...Are you from this countryLeave Nigeria forum alone nah.

grin grin grin
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Cowbell521: 10:26pm On Mar 29, 2023
cococandy:
When sick and old in-laws come to love with the family, the expectation is that the wife will be the one to provide care for the sick and old family member. So your wife should have the final say on who’s coming for extended say in my opinion.

Because let’s face it, your wife would have been the one to give your mom bed baths, bathroom care etc. now that her mom is coming, she’s still the one who will be expected to do that. Not you.

So it might not be the presence of your mom she didn’t want. She just didn’t want the extra responsibility which invariably falls on her. Before you ask why she can’t treat your mom the way she treats her mom, know that her mom will be willing to die for her but your mom won’t. That’s the difference

If they born you and your mother well, try that rubbish with me and see if you will not go and take care of your mother in her house forever. Useless amoeba

1 Like

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Umadam: 10:26pm On Mar 29, 2023
Why would you be asking this question here?
A woman u know from no where, before marriage did this to ur loving mother, at the point she needed you most. And now she is asking the same favor for her own mother, and u are coming here to seek advice....
I could divorce a woman for that, if u cant stay with my old mother, then u cant live with me then, because the old woman brought me to this world.... anyways, do whatever ur mind told u, but ur mother wont forgive you.
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Amumaigwe: 10:28pm On Mar 29, 2023
madridguy:
You may not agreed with me today but years to come you will remember me.

Ignore that teenager pls. He needs to grows up and understand what works. He cannot relate with the wisdom that usually comes through experience.
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Mrbllymer: 10:28pm On Mar 29, 2023
cococandy:

No it will not automatically be less work for the lady.
It requires a lot of sacrifice. Someone else’s sacrifice is not something you just expect from them as if you’re entitled to it. You’re not entitled to her sacrificing herself to care for your mom. She can do it herself if she wants to but it’s not something she owes you.

Why are you expecting her mom and your mom to have the same level of priority in her life? Her mom can die for her. Can your mom die for her?

A little thinking please

Are you being serious ? Can her mother die for him ?
A house he pays the rent or built ? A house he provided for , a woman he paid her dowry ?
So it’s just to send her out ?

She can as well pay rent or built a house for her, provide for her needs and take care of her as she wants and not bring her to my “HOUSE” since it’s not also my duty to take care of another woman who’s not my mum.
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by MediaBoyfriend: 10:29pm On Mar 29, 2023
frozen70:

I understand how you feel about her treatment to your mum and eventually she passed on because she didn't get the care you have planned for her due to your wife refusal to cooperate with her

Now it's her mums turn, just allow her to come the one let her provide her needs while you focus on the family needs as usual

What she denied you off is what she is requesting your approval to get, such is life

Your refusal may react to another thing

Disgusting! Manipulative swines!! His refusal may react to another thing? Who cares? His mom should be very disappointed at him in her grave if he ever thought of accepting the wife's mom to stay with them. And you, stop manipulating men! Stop that rubbish. Op return the energy now. If her family needs monetary support, if you have, give. But if staying with you, don't let that happen.
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by nwadiuko1(m): 10:29pm On Mar 29, 2023
kellyaa:
Na them

so he also has the right not to sacrifice his privacy by bringing another woman into his house.....make everybody dey Thier house
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Cowbell521: 10:30pm On Mar 29, 2023
Umadam:
Why would you be asking this question here?
A woman u know from no where, before marriage did this to ur loving mother, at the point she needed you most. And now she is asking the same favor for her own mother, and u are coming here to seek advice....
I could divorce a woman for that, if u cant stay with my old mother, then u cant live with me then, because the old woman brought me to this world.... anyways, do whatever ur mind told u, but ur mother wont forgive you.
Imagine the audacity. They're poor sef. Meaning the guy pulled the girl out of poverty finish she con dey act king.

No woman born of a woman can try that with me
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by linearity: 10:30pm On Mar 29, 2023
Zupay:

For you, marrying a second wife has always been your solutions to a man's marital issues.🙄🙄

If the wife have the mind to kick his husband’s mother away when she was so weak, tired and in poor health and have the presence of mind without shame or remorse to bring her mother into the house, I am positive that when the OP is old and weak or if opportunities present themselves, the wife will kick him out.
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by shantti(m): 10:31pm On Mar 29, 2023
Samantha124:
Why are you Nigerian men this emotional? Is it because of the environment you were raised in or is it just a genetic thing

There u go again
Goal post shifting
Evading the main issue.
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by cococandy(f): 10:31pm On Mar 29, 2023
All emotions. No logic
kellyaa:
Na them

Rinoxy:

Na talk be dis??
XTHRONE:

Just shut up, u women are hypocrite always supporting evil as long it means defending another selfish woman, listen speak ur truth , this is not gender war, if she couldn't allow his mom to come live with them for her selfish reason, she have no right to allow her mom to come over

3 Likes

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by djon78(m): 10:32pm On Mar 29, 2023
nkemchineke:
Look at what an insane human is gibberish if. Guys be careful who u marry or in this commenter”s case- what u marry.

That one is well known here

You can't expect anything different from her
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by AntiWailer: 10:32pm On Mar 29, 2023
Send money for who will stay with her.

Dnt allow her in ur house.
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Nobody: 10:32pm On Mar 29, 2023
But you are emotional.

I'm guessing it's a genetic thing then.
shantti:

There u go again
Goal post shifting
Evading the main issue.
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by shantti(m): 10:34pm On Mar 29, 2023
NaBanga:

Clap for urself, u just made a point. Olodo
Did the op told u he can't pay a caregiver to cater for his mum.
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by franktech(m): 10:34pm On Mar 29, 2023
Any woman that is hostile to my mom, i will send her back to her family for 3 months and when she is back she will be on probation.
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by tojahh(m): 10:35pm On Mar 29, 2023
If you let her mother into that house. May your mother never forgive you anywhere you are.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (33) (Reply)

Nigerian Young Man Finds Love In The Arms Of White Grandma / Nursing Mother With Her Baby Spotted At A Betting Shop In Lagos. Photos / Man And His Friends Storm Pastor's House, Demand For The Car His Wife Gave Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.