Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,317 members, 7,815,591 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:59 PM

Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice - Family (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice (52645 Views)

Why I Won't Allow My Brother To Bring His Wife Abroad- Nigerian Lady, Arike(vid) / Don't Marry Me If You Won't Allow My Relations To Stay Or Visit Me. / My Wife's Elder Sister Has Finally Settled In My Home & I Don't Know What To Do (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (33) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by cococandy(f): 10:55pm On Mar 29, 2023
XTHRONE:

Lol, is all logic girl, what is good for the goose , is also good for the gander. The man is weak and a simp for allowing a woman dictate in the affairs of his Mom, such nonsense can't happen around me, na she go dey beg me to invite my Mom.
okay. Lol

2 Likes

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by poppy83(m): 10:55pm On Mar 29, 2023
One spotted...
Neweramify:
Op your wife was wrong, but try and understand her fear. Most women feel inconvenient around their mother inlaw. Not because she hates her mother inlaw but for the fear of the unknown.

Let her know how you feel knowing she wanna bring her mum in when she rejected your mum. I'm sure she will feel remorse of her action.

Permit her to bring her mum, cause if anything happen to the old woman, she may accuse you of one thing or the other.
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by cococandy(f): 10:55pm On Mar 29, 2023
Amumaigwe:

Why can't she stay with those 3 older siblings since the OP's wife marriage is strictly between a man and his wife?
That’s a perfectly fine option. OPs wife should consider that

3 Likes

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Fearcom(m): 10:57pm On Mar 29, 2023
frozen70:

I understand how you feel about her treatment to your mum and eventually she passed on because she didn't get the care you have planned for her due to your wife refusal to cooperate with her

Now it's her mums turn, just allow her to come the one let her provide her needs while you focus on the family needs as usual

What she denied you off is what she is requesting your approval to get, such is life

Your refusal may react to another thing

Hmmm!

Awon okurin o raye wa oo!

What is good for the goose is also good for the gander.

All the men should gather here amd take this advoce:

1. NEVER, NEVER PAMPER A BAD WIFE.

2. HANDLE HER WITH AN IRON HAND. LET HER KNOW THAT SHE EITHER SUBMITS OR YOU KICK HER OUT. PERIOD

1 Like

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Nobody: 10:57pm On Mar 29, 2023
What useless remorse. Would you advise your brother this way. Some of you ladies believe everything must go your way.
Neweramify:
Op your wife was wrong, but try and understand her fear. Most women feel inconvenient around their mother inlaw. Not because she hates her mother inlaw but for the fear of the unknown.

Let her know how you feel knowing she wanna bring her mum in when she rejected your mum. I'm sure she will feel remorse of her action.

Permit her to bring her mum, cause if anything happen to the old woman, she may accuse you of one thing or the other.
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Ojady(m): 10:58pm On Mar 29, 2023
Please do not let it happen. A precedent has been set, let it remain that way. Not out of revenge over what she did, but for the sake of "your" family, "your home", your children...marriage especially nowadays, is continuous work on you, on your wife, both of you together. When a 3rd party is involved, you both now have a 3rd contributor, to your affairs and that is what the devil preys on (remember Eve). You can support but not under your roof, do not let the older siblings come and dump her at your place, it will give them reasons to come to your house anyhow under the guise "we come see Mama" which will never be only about Mama, add on jealous innuendos with unnecessary and unavoidable snooping around and spreading your business all over.
Support the elder siblings through your wife: buy provisions, pay some Bill's, get a nurse, arrange pocket money, visit often...anything but not under your roof. #IHaveBeenThere

1 Like

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Mrbllymer: 10:58pm On Mar 29, 2023
cococandy:
ah I see we are operating with the outdated assumption that he’s the sole provider. Do you people not live in the real world where men and women are present in the workforce in almost 50:50 ratios?

Again with the financial assumptions. Ask the OP if his wife is financially dependent on him.
This argument fails every time because most of have never and will never be sole providers
I think you didn’t read the whole story where he said he’s financially buoyant, that alone should give you a perspective or narrative that he’s taking good care of the home and not dependent on the lady’s earning. In this 21st century men mostly take care of the home in regards to provision(financially) , not saying women don’t contribute especially in this country.

What stops her from allowing her mum stay with her siblings and with your assumption, then she can be sending money to her siblings to take care of her ?

I can categorically tell you in Nigeria today, 50:50 is a dream and doesn’t happen in 90% of Nigerian home.

You can put through a survey on nairaland to ascertain this claim.
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by harmony75: 11:00pm On Mar 29, 2023
Gbam marriage is between husband and wife please if you don't want your mama spirit to slap that your heartless wife and her mother don't allow her mom to come live with you both full stop 🛑 what a heartless woman she's going to suffer more even her daughter inlaw will do the same she never see anything. Let her family know that you will not allow their mother bc of what their sister did or just let them know it is not possible your mama sef go vex for you, you no be mumu now she have other siblings so let them care for their mother or get a nurse for their mom. This matter pain me bc I hate injustice! What nonsense of a wife??!! You were in the position to care for your own mom she refused but guy you made a mistake you should have allowed your mom live with you either she go she's taken you as a soft person that's why she tried it in first place please be firm on this let her siblings take care of their mother so she can feel what you felt! Imagine the innocent woman is dead now 😭 I'm sorry to say your wife is not a good woman but how you sef tolerated that putting your mom in danger bc of one stupid wife that does not fear God! Karma knows every address o what nonsense!

1 Like

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Justbehave(m): 11:00pm On Mar 29, 2023
cococandy:

Why can’t you do it?
Why caregivers? Are you hands broken? Are you too slow to learn how to do it? What’s the barrier that’s stopping you from doing it?

That’s literally the point I’m making. Y’all think the job of caring for your loved ones are beneath you. I’m actually embarrassed for you. You’ll do anything to get out of being responsible loving children to your parents. Some of you marry so you can have wives that will care for your parents. When that’s not available you use caregivers if you can afford it.

Because of the assumption that as men you’re too good for it. Imagine having kids like that. Poor old parents
They are staying with me in my house right now and are being well taken care of. Even my 3kids are with me and not with their evil and manipulative mother's that I paid to have kids for me. I don't need you women in my life.
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by MrDoGood(m): 11:01pm On Mar 29, 2023
Neweramify:

Accuse Kwa? Are her siblings living in the forest ?
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Nobody: 11:01pm On Mar 29, 2023
How am I supposed to answer your question when you didn't answer mine
shantti:

Why didn't u answer my question.
Why did u switch to accusations of being emotional since you have no other tactics
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by emmybobo1: 11:01pm On Mar 29, 2023
Samantha124:
Who were you expecting to nurse your mother had it been she stayed with you guys until she passed away?

Your wife?
I pray in your old age all your children should abandon you with chronic arthritis
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Nobody: 11:01pm On Mar 29, 2023
You see what I meant?🤣🤣🤣
shantti:

And yet u are the one ranting.
No clear logic, no deductions, no facts, just rallying around this thread and ranting about. Kid steer clear
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by pocohantas(f): 11:02pm On Mar 29, 2023
18 pages and counting.

Pheeew!
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Ubdavis(m): 11:02pm On Mar 29, 2023
Why wouldn't people give out what they can't take??
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Freeko4: 11:03pm On Mar 29, 2023
ozalogbo:
I am the first child of my mother, and I have two younger male siblings. I am doing well financially. My wife is the last of four children in her family. My dad died when I was still in the university, and this affected my mum.

However, as she aged, her health waned. She was a retired teacher. My brothers are not in the country. Both of them are in Europe. I wanted to have my mother stay with me in her later years because of her health and loneliness but my wife did not want it.

Whenever she was ill and I brought her home to be with us, my wife was usually hostile, especially if my mum had stayed beyond a week. She did not hid her disapproval, and this caused problems in the marriage. People advised that I should send my mum away and pay someone to live with her and take care of her. They said that marriage was between a man and his wife, not between a man, his wife, and his mother. I did and peace returned. Eventually my mum passed on after a few years.

Along the line, my father in law also died. And down the line, my mother in law's health began to deteriorate. We live in the same town. Among my wife's siblings she is the only one doing quite well. Now there are suggestions that the mother should come and live with us so that my wife can give her proper care. I believe that her living with us and seeing her grandchildren will help her. And indeed i have no problem accepting her, but when i remember the treatment my wife gave to my mum, there is a strong revulsion, in fact, anger in me. I shared with a friend, and he advised i forgive my wife, but the revulsion is so strong that i would feel cheated if i agreed.

What do you guys think. She reminded me then that marriage was between a man and his wife only. Shouldn't this also apply to my wife now?

You're not the man of your house, you never wanted your mother to stay with you in the first place that's the reason you had to succumb to your wife.
Your mother will be ashame of you whereever she is.

Now same reality that played out before has repeated again and you can't still decide.

Man you're us*l*ss.
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by EriMma1: 11:03pm On Mar 29, 2023
clockwisereport:

No be when e affect my parents. I no dey carry those people play
M!
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Justbehave(m): 11:04pm On Mar 29, 2023
akinbodma:

Best advice
Welcome her mom, while you also switch character after 2/3 days of her arrival

Let her use her imagination
So she can remember it’s a man and woman like she also said before
Best advice only for you because you don't have sense. If you had,you would have known that it is a very wrong advice. Seems you are a weak man or a simp just like the op?
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by SeriouslySense(m): 11:05pm On Mar 29, 2023
Why would you listen to your Wife, when it comes to your Mother, stop allowing people to manipulate you, you should have taken very good care of your mother.

There are some things, you do not listen to anyone, such as when it comes to your Mother, and if she is a good person, you have to make sure she is okay in old age. No one should tell you how to treat your mum.

I myself i am furious grin grin grin grin

Is too late, you were not wise, just forgive your wife.
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Nobody: 11:06pm On Mar 29, 2023
Amen..🙌🙌🙌

Anything else?🤣🤣🤣
emmybobo1:

I pray in your old age all your children should abandon you with chronic arthritis
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Luckysbab: 11:06pm On Mar 29, 2023
Neweramify:

Fear of unknown from an ill mother inlaw?

Many of you ladies just have a serious psychological problem.
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Hardgun: 11:06pm On Mar 29, 2023
Heaven knows that it can never be me omo and secondly tell her say u no wan hear that story at all her mama is not welcome
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Justbehave(m): 11:06pm On Mar 29, 2023
Freeko4:

You're not the man of your house, you never wanted your mother to stay with you in the first place that's the reason you had to succumb to your wife.
Your mother will be ashame of you whereever she is.

Now same reality that played out before has repeated again and you can't still decide.

Man you're us*l*ss.

Very very useless man he is.
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by cococandy(f): 11:07pm On Mar 29, 2023
Justbehave:
They are staying with me in my house right now and are being well taken care of. Even my 3kids are with me and not with their evil and manipulative mother's that I paid to have kids for me. I don't need you women in my life.
I’m glad that’s working out for you. I think men who agree with you should explore this option more often.

If you don’t mind me asking, why are they not with you? Does it have something to do with your ability to care for them outside of putting money on the table (which anyone can do BTW)

2 Likes

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by cococandy(f): 11:07pm On Mar 29, 2023
grin
pocohantas:
18 pages and counting.

Pheeew!

1 Like

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by shantti(m): 11:08pm On Mar 29, 2023
Just as biologically I’m supposed to meet your mom today and develop the same level of love for her that I have for my mom who sacrificed all her life for me. Very logical

What is the correlation between this reply and my response to you. Nothing. Stop typing words to sound woke nne

I said that’s USUALLY the expectation. Not my personal conclusion. Comprehension is key. OP should feel free to correct that if it doesn’t apply in his case. But based on stats, women are the ones expected to do the caregiving. It’s based on facts. So tell me where my emotion is coming from. 🤨

How could you accuse me of what you are solely guilty of; comprehension. This is very ironic. You know that it also the USUAL expectation that the man will fund the medical bill should he let his mother in law stay in this house. Why didn't you factor in this. Can u show this this you so called stat. You now understand why I labeled u as being emotional.

he paid for someone after his wife said no. Your point?
From the story, we can only infer that he changed location after his wife said no. It says nothing about The caregiver, The caregiver could already had been nursing the woman at the op's house.Moreover, why can't his wife replicate the same thing. She should pay someone to look after her mother in another house. undecided

Start by telling me why some of you don’t reason past the f behind a moniker? The moment you see f, that means the person is being emotional and all the Ms are being logical . If you know anything about logic you will know that it’s not gender based. But you don’t. You assign logic by gender. Literally defeating the meaning of it

But you proved us right nah. It's not our fault. You could have changed the narrative by trying to the logical after reading this story, u could have called a spade a spade, but no, u started cooking up assumptions to favor your fellow wicked female gender that caused someone to die, typical of u females with the f monicker 🙄🙄
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Luckysbab: 11:09pm On Mar 29, 2023
Zupay:

For you, marrying a second wife has always been your solutions to a man's marital issues.🙄🙄

And why not?

Who knows the kind of pepper she will show him when he is frail?!
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by SeriouslySense(m): 11:10pm On Mar 29, 2023
I was thinking the same, what a self centered wife and she suddenly have amnesia, cheesy cheesy

Does the wife not understand that whenever He sees her Mother he will remember how she did not allow his own Mother enjoy the presence of her sons family in her old age.

Ojady:
Please do not let it happen. A precedent has been set, let it remain that way. Not out of revenge over what she did, but for the sake of "your" family, "your home", your children...marriage especially nowadays, is continuous work on you, on your wife, both of you together. When a 3rd party is involved, you both now have a 3rd contributor, to your affairs and that is what the devil preys on (remember Eve). You can support but not under your roof, do not let the older siblings come and dump her at your place, it will give them reasons to come to your house anyhow under the guise "we come see Mama" which will never be only about Mama, add on jealous innuendos with unnecessary and unavoidable snooping around and spreading your business all over.
Support the elder siblings through your wife: buy provisions, pay some Bill's, get a nurse, arrange pocket money, visit often...anything but not under your roof. #IHaveBeenThere
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by pocohantas(f): 11:10pm On Mar 29, 2023
cococandy:
grin
w

It made my head spin, Coco!
I’ll be back to fake a final count tomorrow. cheesy
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Mrbllymer: 11:10pm On Mar 29, 2023
pocohantas:
18 pages and counting.

Pheeew!
I’m waiting for your perspective. 🤔
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by cococandy(f): 11:10pm On Mar 29, 2023
Mrbllymer:

I think you didn’t read the whole story where he said he’s financially buoyant, that alone should give you a perspective or narrative that he’s taking good care of the home and not dependent on the lady’s earning.
that’s not to say she doesn’t work.

In this 21st century men mostly take care of the home in regards to provision(financially) , not saying women don’t contribute especially in this country.
wrong

What stops her from allowing her mum stay with her siblings and with your assumption, then she can be sending money to her siblings to take care of her ?

a great option that I think she should explore

I can categorically tell you in Nigeria today, 50:50 is a dream and doesn’t happen in 90% of Nigerian home.

You can put through a survey on nairaland to ascertain this claim.

Categorically is false.
An NL survey is a sample of biased test subjects. Not a dependable sample set

2 Likes

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Justbehave(m): 11:11pm On Mar 29, 2023
cococandy:

I’m glad that’s working out for you. I think men who agree with you should explore this option more often.

If you don’t mind me asking, why are they not with you? Does it have something to do with your ability to care for them outside of putting money on the table (which anyone can do BTW)
Lol. What is there in taking care of them? My agreement with them is I pay you,get you pregnant,deliver and leave. I have 3 from 3 different ladies that don't even know where their kids are presently.

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (33) (Reply)

Cheating With Pride. Wife Explains Why / Nigerian Young Man Finds Love In The Arms Of White Grandma / Nursing Mother With Her Baby Spotted At A Betting Shop In Lagos. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.