Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,367 members, 7,815,784 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:20 PM

Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father - Family (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father (35092 Views)

Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price / Italian Lady Finds Her Biological Mum In Nigeria After 34 Years (Pics, Video) / Man Slumps & Dies After DNA Test Showed He Is Not His Son's Biological Father (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Smithwilliams826: 7:29pm On Jun 01, 2023
Stevenbright:

See don't get into what is not your business.

Although, if truly the mum current husband is the one who took care of her and raised her up till this point, then he is the one who you should relate to because of the responsibilities he has undertaking on her.

But again, on the other hand, you need to also find out the real truth just to know it not because you want to accord her biological father the fatherly role but to make sure her mum was not the problem vis-a-viz taking the child from her biological father illegally to another man so that you will not be at the risk of getting married to someone who can do such wicked acts to you too.

So true, don't get into what is not you business. Get into the family and it becomes your business.
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Unclesamo(m): 7:30pm On Jun 01, 2023
Micheal56:
Please get this clear
Your father is the one that take care of u not the one who gave birth to you

Is this the Woke Generation theology of defining who a father is?

What if it was the mother that denied him the access from birth by running away with the child, threatening any form of connection, or in the bid of marrying someone Richer?

what if?

1 Like

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by go100: 7:32pm On Jun 01, 2023
Brother, note that on issues regarding marriage,please tread with caution.

First and foremost, your interest in key, protect and guide it jealously. On the flip side, your would be wife and her people are guiding jealously theirs also, and they would tag it with appealing titles. Be careful

Secondly, I would suggest that you firmly request to see her father to seek his blessings and if were possible his presence at the engagement/wedding.

Thirdly, be categorical that if the above request is not granted that they should forget about the wedding.You are starting your own life-defining phase of your journey, it will be an irreversible damage to start with clear eyes on a messy foundation. Simply put, give what belong to Caesar to Caesar.
MetaBroadband:
Good morning mature men and women in the house. Please I need your help on this topic.

My Fiancee told me about how her biological dad abandoned her and her mum after getting her mum pregnant.

Her mum later married another man who adopted her as his child.

Now she's grown and I've proposed to her, I wanted to go for her official introduction and list collection.

Would it not be nice to hear the biological father's opinion? Should I just ignore the fact that the man is still alive and proceed with the marriage arrangement?

Although she said I should not bother about that, but this is Nigeria and as an Akwa Ibomite I don't think it's proper. Although she's against me trying to find out about the man's opinion. Should I care?

What can you say about this?

Note: she only told me that the man abandoned them, but what if it was her mum that actually took her away?

1 Like

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Sirtee19: 7:38pm On Jun 01, 2023
Think of it this way, what if in the future, something health wisely that is life threatening happens to your wife that requires the blood of the man for your wife to survive?
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by mrmislim: 7:40pm On Jun 01, 2023
PrimadonnaO:

Interesting. Did you have a stepfather who received your bride price?

Or your father's relatives received the bride price.

I have a stepfather now, but my elder bro sat as my dad on my wedding day and my mum received the bride price.

None of my dad’s relatives were there, although my mum told my dad against my wish but when he was trying to claim father we cut his bluff and we in fact had police on ground in case he and his family wanted to misbehave.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by mrmislim: 7:43pm On Jun 01, 2023
Sirtee19:
Think of it this way, what if in the future, something health wisely that is life threatening happens to your wife that requires the blood of the man for your wife to survive?

Something like what? Have you seen that situation in real life that it is only the biological father that can donate blood or you’re speaking based on what you’ve watched in movies?

3 Likes

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by kelvindj98: 7:50pm On Jun 01, 2023
Do you want to marry the father?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Octopusssy(f): 7:53pm On Jun 01, 2023
DrDunamis:

You want to marry her or you want to question the character of her mum?
You said the mother remarried, she's got a step father who was there doing the taking care of part so why are you going to look for biological father?
What do you intend to achieve from contacting him?
Wise and salient questions

2 Likes

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by XAUBulls: 7:55pm On Jun 01, 2023
MetaBroadband:
Good morning mature men and women in the house. Please I need your help on this topic.

My Fiancee told me about how her biological dad abandoned her and her mum after getting her mum pregnant.

Now she's grown and I've proposed to her, I wanted to go for her official introduction and list collection.

Would it not be nice to hear the biological father's opinion? Should I just ignore the fact that the man is still alive and proceed with the marriage arrangement?

Although she said I should not bother about that, but this is Nigeria and as an Akwa Ibomite I don't think it's proper. Although she's against me trying to find out about the man's opinion. Should I care?

Note: she only told me that the man abandoned them, but what if it was her mum that actually took her away?
How sure are you that she's even the biological daughter of the man with the high rate of paternity fraud?

Hilda Baci's story of alleged paternal neglect is a bit similar to what you've stated here with her mother getting married to another man, based on what I read online.

You have a right to know her real father since he is alive. Don't allow anyone to transfer their animosity towards the "biological father" to you. Period.
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Kobojunkie: 7:56pm On Jun 01, 2023
Sirtee19:
■ Think of it this way, what if in the future, something health wisely that is life threatening happens to your wife that requires the blood of the man for your wife to survive?
How many times has that ever really happened? Also, how can a man who left his family to be raised by another man care in that case? Unless the man himself is the one who maybe needs a kidney or liver from his offspring, it usually almost never happens. undecided

1 Like

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Ukmummy: 8:01pm On Jun 01, 2023
By Akwa Ibom tradition, it is mandatory to see the biological father of your fiance. The people here are comenting based on their ignorance of our tradition and you know the truth too. It is called "mbet" meaning taboo. In order not to have problems in your marriage, the mother should know better. pls go visit the biological father as the tradition demands with a bottle of hot drink and give him the father's rights for your own peace of mind. He does not need to be present at the ceremony, thereafter, honour the step father with the real father of the occasion. Good luck.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by nick50(m): 8:04pm On Jun 01, 2023
Oga stop writing epistle and go meet d real father of ur woman because when ur wife die na when u go know say mad man get relatives

1 Like

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Sestor1313(m): 8:06pm On Jun 01, 2023
Marriage is should not anything that should be any done in secret. Don't go ahead with the marriage yet until you find out what went wrong even if its through proxy. Atleast you don't want to hear something different that might affect you in future. Personally I don't trust single mother at the same level of reasoning with their daughter it is good but sometimes fraudulent mentality to dupe or deceive potential suitors. Note: If your girl trusts her mom so much that she won't forgive the relationship that led to her birth ( of which she is truly ignorant) then she will treat you same in future."Watch out for a snake will not give birth to a lizard". Find out, its your right to know all the stake holders in her life.
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by XAUBulls: 8:08pm On Jun 01, 2023
Ukmummy:
By Akwa Ibom tradition, it is mandatory to see the biological father of your fiance. The people here are comenting based on their ignorance of our tradition and you know the truth too. It is called "mbet" meaning taboo. In order not to have problems in your marriage, the mother should know better. pls go visit the biological father as the tradition demands with a bottle of hot drink and give him the father's rights for your own peace of mind. He does not need to be present at the ceremony, thereafter, honour the step father with the real father of the occasion. Good luck.
That's very insightful.
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by kafeii123: 8:10pm On Jun 01, 2023
Whether the mother took her away...or she was abandoned.....she will have more loyalty to whoever it was that has featured more in her life...and nothing really accords any right to a child that he never contributed to raising......even if a wife takes your child away from you...if you're not just trying to seek excuses.....

You will look for the woman's mother...and get info about the child's school....you can at least be dropping periodic monies into the school account...or at least your former wife/girlfriend's account....abi how is it possible that you impregnated a girl who's account number you are least don't even know...
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by uche393: 8:21pm On Jun 01, 2023
no need of visiting the biological father in this case, being a a father is beyond ejaculating and making a woman pregnant.

the one who was her caretaker is her father, pay the bride price to him.
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Everbryte: 8:24pm On Jun 01, 2023
This is delicate issue. To simplify it, get answers to the following questions, it might help get you well informed to make a good decision.

Has she seen her biological father before? Have they had any form of contact or conversion? if yes, what was it & how did it go?

Has the father made any attempts to be part pf her life? if yes in what ways? was it successful? if no, what was the issue

Has the father made any contribution to her welfare/education/well-being? if yes, how & when? if no, why?

Has the father tried to reach out to her? through any 3rd parties or intermediaries - lawyer/pastor/teacher/uncle/aunt/cousin/granny/neighbor/friend/chief etc if yes what was the outcome?

When last did she speak with the father?

If you establish that the father fizzled out & has not been part of her life, my brother, love is a beautiful thing. Now that both of you have found love, mbok, ku invoke negative emotions. Please stay within your comfort zone.

Irrespective, as you settle into a family, if the biological father reaches out for any assistance, help, if your wife allows you to.

More blessings.

MetaBroadband:

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Nobody: 8:26pm On Jun 01, 2023
complexstuffs:

No one asked for your own personal experience

No one asked you to quote me to type trash.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by goldenboyofpsy(m): 8:32pm On Jun 01, 2023
[quote author=MetaBroadband post=123481845]Thank you all for your excellent contributions. Please note the following:

1. They said the man abandoned them, but what if it's not actually what happened, so let's not be emotional.

2. I'm not paying the bride price to the biological father, but there should be an understanding between both fathers at this point. because if the child was taken away from the man or if he had acted as a child then, both parents can come to an understanding so that my wife won't hurt any part of the tradition in the course of our marriage.

3. I know that my mother inlaw would be angry, but I still feel it's my right to know. What if something bad happens to my wife because she married in a way that violates her tradition (give Caeser things to Caesar)

4. I'm doing this for my fiancee not me, because as far as I've paid my bride price nothing can come to me, but if anything comes to my wife, it automatically affects me. So it's not just her and her mum's business.

Thank you as you put this thoughts into consideration as well.

If your mind is made up,there's no point asking for help. The father here is the step dad. If from childhood he took full responsibility for the girl,then you've no business with the father. If he comes later ,it can be sorted out but her step dad is her father.

One of my wife's aso ebi girls idoma has a Yoruba name. I asked her why,she said she took her step dad name because he has been the father that her biological father left them.

The most important thing to do is ensure necessary things are done
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by imagrg(m): 8:36pm On Jun 01, 2023
Going by Benin tradition, you must pay the bride-price to the biological father if he is still alive. If not, it should be paid to a member of that family.
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by ashraf267(m): 8:38pm On Jun 01, 2023
xavuv:

If i were you,i would discard the lady and mother together. What bitterness!

They should let you go and see the biological father, just to show face and rub minds. Even the step father should come in and make them see reasons for you to go and see the real father.

Such a fiancee is full of bile, understandably implanted in her by her mother. That bile will still be there for you to wrestle with when your time comes.

She will show you shege.

Omo omo... y'all are wild on this app sha. Look at you authoritatively condemning someone you barely know.

As for OP, my 5 cents is: pls don't start what you can't finish. You mentioned you're doing for you wife's sake. Good, but if she's not too bothered about meeting with her biological father, then there's really no reason why you should be disturbed. Mk your matter no go be like say: your problem is you know/want to know too much.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jun 01, 2023
tiswell:
emotional attachments over issues doesn't allow sense of good reasoning.

How did you know that the father hadn't tried to see them?
.How do you believe the mother's version hook,line and sinker without being part of the story yourself ?

What if they are hiding the real truth from the OP,for him to later find out the real truth when it's rather too late?

Abeg rest,issues like these are very very complicated.

Emotional attachments to quickly support the deadbeat with assumptions doesn't allow for sense of good reasoning

How do you also know that the father has tried to see them?

I would believe the mother's version even if I'm not part of the story, because that is what was presented to us here, if you are so pressed to hear and believe the deadbeat's version, do well to get him here to report himself to us

What if they are also not trying to hide any real truth? What if the mother's version is the real truth?

It's not complicated, he should report himself to us let us hear his side, very straight forward, till then, I stand by my previous comments.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Nobody: 8:42pm On Jun 01, 2023
MetaBroadband:

And what if your biological father was deprived of that privilege and responsibility either voluntarily or involuntarily?

Do you think it would be just to keep on denying a man of his own blood?

Don't you think that when she's up against the tradition that it would now become my business?
You sound like a peace loving man who wants to do the right thing at all times,but the woman has showed you who raised her and who she calls father that should be enough for you.

Yes there are two sides to a story but you are not a detective,plus you are not part of the story why she did not live with her biological father so respect her wishes and do not get involved.
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Nyceguy92: 8:42pm On Jun 01, 2023
Kobojunkie:
But sperm-bank donors are also living fathers. Or are you the one whose mind is not able to stretch to include that given what you made clear? According to you and a lot here, the woman's biological father — which includes sperm-bank donor fathers — is to be honored in this. So why are you hesitating to allow that? undecided

Lol...Bros, did you see the part in the original post that said "dad abandoned her and her mum after getting her mum pregnant?" Dad did it.

You appear to suggest, from your argument, that if a student was asked in test to write about Photosynthesis, it's fine if the student wrote about
Fertilization in Plants.
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by ShaqFu: 8:42pm On Jun 01, 2023
Octopusssy:

Wise and salient questions
Its prudent to meet her biological father, traditional isn't sentiment. Even if her step father has been there for her all this time, her bride price should be paid to her biological father, except her biological father didn't pay the bride price of her mum, if he did, and her family didn't return it after they separated, then all right is given to her biological father.

Our tradition can be funny, but it's not sentimental. I've seen things since I've been in my town.

Don't be surprise if that guy doesn't pay the bride price to her biological father, her village people will deny him ownership of their kids...
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Anonymoususher: 8:46pm On Jun 01, 2023
My 2cent. So long as the biological father didn't pay for the mom's hand in marriage and worst of all abandoned the pregnancy, that girl belongs to the mom and her people and anyone you should be speaking with is the man that stands as a father and that man is either the step father or the girl's grandfather or eldest uncle (along with the mother)

You have no business with that deadbeat because dragging him into this will only aggravate things for you.

1 Like

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by 1Sharon(f): 8:56pm On Jun 01, 2023
Micheal56:
Please get this clear
Your father is the one that take care of u not the one who gave birth to you
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Namdosky(m): 8:57pm On Jun 01, 2023
Dig deep to find out everything before you pay shishi...make sure it's paid to her main dad irrespective of whether they are in good terms or not...except on instruction from him that you should go ahead...A man checks a woman's past and a woman the mans future
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by 1Sharon(f): 9:01pm On Jun 01, 2023
Kobojunkie:
It seems you don't respect your fiance at all, and that there is a major issue as far as your relationship. Are you certain you are ready for marriage at all? undecided

She said you shouldn't do it, so why do you think it your place to carry wetin no be your business for head? What gives you the right to disturb those waters? Because you want to marry her? undecided

This is why I believe that thing they call bride price should be abolished!

1 Like

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by SilasIBB: 9:06pm On Jun 01, 2023
Guy go and meet her biological Father....

Put an end to that bitterness and Receive both their blessings before settling for a peaceful home.

Every man has their shortcomings.
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by ledaman: 9:08pm On Jun 01, 2023
Bros, don't mind those chronic bachelor's advising you to shun her biological father. No matter what he must have done to your fiancee and her mum, he is the father. You should be a peace maker no to build on their hatred for their dad.
If she truly loves you, she will not tell you that nonsense not to see her dad.
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by turischool(m): 9:15pm On Jun 01, 2023
IamMobisola:

Funny enough OP would never be able to know the truth because he can’t say for sure who will be saying the truth especially since he never knew the father. The mother and daughter said he abandoned them, if the father also says the mother took the child away from him and it’s a lie, what would he do? Believe him? And still go ahead to invite him for the introduction against the wishes of his fiancé?

its not about truth
its about courtesy
why will not seek to know the real parent of a woman you want to spend eternity with all because a woman told you a story

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

One Day, He Will Be Told To Choose Between His Girlfriend And Mother (Picture) / How Do I Confront My Wife With This Kind Of Question / Incredible Recovery Of The Nigerian 'witch Child' Who Was Left For Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.