Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,332 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:55 PM

Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father (35132 Views)

Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price / Italian Lady Finds Her Biological Mum In Nigeria After 34 Years (Pics, Video) / Man Slumps & Dies After DNA Test Showed He Is Not His Son's Biological Father (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by PROPEACE: 3:11pm On Jun 01, 2023
MetaBroadband:
Good morning mature men and women in the house. Please I need your help on this topic.

My Fiancee told me about how her biological dad abandoned her and her mum after getting her mum pregnant.

Her mum later married another man who adopted her as his child.

Now she's grown and I've proposed to her, I wanted to go for her official introduction and list collection.

Would it not be nice to hear the biological father's opinion? Should I just ignore the fact that the man is still alive and proceed with the marriage arrangement?

Although she said I should not bother about that, but this is Nigeria and as an Akwa Ibomite I don't think it's proper. Although she's against me trying to find out about the man's opinion. Should I care?

What can you say about this?

Note: she only told me that the man abandoned them, but what if it was her mum that actually took her away?
Years from now, this scenario may repeat itself, your would be son in law may find himself asking your daughter in the future if he should come to see you or not. Be careful with bitter women and their daughters, lest you end up sharing their beef and enemies

2 Likes

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Nobody: 3:12pm On Jun 01, 2023
MetaBroadband:
Good morning mature men and women in the house. Please I need your help on this topic.

My Fiancee told me about how her biological dad abandoned her and her mum after getting her mum pregnant.

Her mum later married another man who adopted her as his child
Now she's grown and I've proposed to her, I wanted to go for her official introduction and list collection.

Would it not be nice to hear the biological father's opinion? Should I just ignore the fact that the man is still alive and proceed with the marriage arrangement?

Although she said I should not bother about that, but this is Nigeria and as an Akwa Ibomite I don't think it's proper. Although she's against me trying to find out about the man's opinion. Should I care?

Note: she only told me that the man abandoned them, but what if it was her mum that actually took her away?

Your own family should insist on seeing the biological father. If you go on with the marriage, you should be ready to be treated as a scum because you will definitely dance to her mother's tunes
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Impera(m): 3:12pm On Jun 01, 2023
I don't know about your tradition. Where I come from step father no fit collect bride price on someone else pikin o...whether he trained her or not the biological father and his kin own the child...except if her biological father did not pay bride price for your mother-in-law.
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Micheal56: 3:12pm On Jun 01, 2023
Femi8586:

You're being so emotional
This kind of issue needs 80% logic, 20% emotions

Read the posts of Op very well, you'll sense Op's fiance is not telling him the whole truth. She's still hiding many things from him which only meeting the biological father can reveal the untold truth.
But you want Op to ignore the truth because you're emotional. Something that can hurt him later in future.

OP should see the biological father not because he owes him anything but just to know him and hear from him first..

Truth be told
Every human have bad side
You only ignore flaws due to love
Even if the man get something to say he no matter
The foster father is the real man here
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by thinkmoney(m): 3:12pm On Jun 01, 2023
Kobojunkie:
See this olodo! Servant's prayer now become investigation? undecided

The passage says absolutely none of what you claim though as it clearly states that the servant made up his mind when the girl brought water out for him to drink. undecided
Ok, ur intellectual capacity, comprehension ability and honesty have been clearly shown now. It will be unwise for me to continue with u again now
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Micheal56: 3:13pm On Jun 01, 2023
Ade1177:

Don't spend 1naira

For any girl

You are not sure you can hold for 30yrs atleast

Bro to be honest no be joke
My cousin sis mak marry last 6month don divorce because of her bad attitude
Forming posh with 0naira

1 Like

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by emonis88: 3:13pm On Jun 01, 2023
Make sure she is not the type that il do same to u in future o!
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Umadam: 3:14pm On Jun 01, 2023
I can never marry any idiot without meeting with the biological father, if the man is still alive, what ever been the situation, let me hear from both mouths.

Look, alot of things happens in life, if u dont want to be treated the way her mother may have treated that man, know the situations..

Dont even make any mistake all in the name of one useless love..
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Hangulsaram: 3:15pm On Jun 01, 2023
Dtruthspeaker:

It is actually not your fuc.king and unfucking business.

Your business is with the lady and the people who rule her (her family)

The burden is on her father to find how he can enter in if he wants.

But this shit, is not your business.

What is this one saying? You will grow old one day to understand
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by tempex88(m): 3:15pm On Jun 01, 2023
You must meet the Father. You don't need his opinion or story about what happened, but you need his blessings. You also need the step fathers blessings too. Avoid the too many versions of what happened. stay with your woman and build your own home.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Didi2d(m): 3:15pm On Jun 01, 2023
MetaBroadband:

This topic or story is somehow touching and sensitive to me.

My simple advice for you brother is, no matter what transpired between the mother and father please try to see that man. Meet your fiance biological father before you pay bride price.
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Ufuka: 3:16pm On Jun 01, 2023
Iam so shocked by many people's comment here, I hardly comment but I have to do so cos this's a matter between life and death. In Akwa Ibom State, there's no amendment to custom and tradition, don't allow your fiancee or your future mother inlaw to lead you astray, for the sake of your fiancee's life. Listen very well, go and get the marriage list from your fiancee's biological father, the bride price and every other thing should be paid to him,
his kinsmen & your fiancee's mum alone. The marriage should be done in his hometown and he's the one to sit as a father that very day. Any amount of money you can afford, give it to the man that took care of your fiancee. If your fiancee and the mother refuse to accept it, please and please cancel the marriage. A WORD IS ENOUGH FOR THE WISE.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Guyman01: 3:16pm On Jun 01, 2023
Curiosity killed the cat 🐈 leave matter wey no concern you and focus on your wife and the man she calls father is her father, forget about biology.

To raise that girl her foster father must have performed certain traditional rights granting him fatherhood over her and not her biological father.
In many cultures a child born out of wedlock belongs to the grandfather and he can give her to the man who later marries her mother to raise as his child after informing the community and performing the cultural rights.

The sperm donor is not the owner of the child but the man the family gave custody after marrying their daughter

1 Like

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Emir8: 3:18pm On Jun 01, 2023
Why marrying a lady from a complex background? Some men just see problem and put their head because of good sex experience. If you didn't visit the father, he may come for you spiritually.

I will never marry a lady that her parents are not together. You will have to fight that pattern for the lady to stay in your house.
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Joseph77200(m): 3:18pm On Jun 01, 2023
bukatyne:

If you don't believe the lady and her mother, then end the relationship.

Is it so hard?

I'm not even surprised you are a lady so I know how you all do reason but I am not the one who needed the advice you can direct it to the man who is here seeking for opinions by telling him to end the relationship if he doesn't believe the story he was told by the mother and daughter.
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Femi8586(m): 3:19pm On Jun 01, 2023
IamMobisola:

From your write up you are saying the lady and her mother are lying, what’s to say the man wouldn’t also lie too? How would he know who is telling the truth ? Because the way you men castigate women is really irritating

Read OP's posts and response to people very well..he said his fiance told him her biological father is aware she's getting married and has consented to it already. When OP requested to see the man himself personally, she and her mother objected saying No.
Is she being truthful here to you?

Let's even assume she and her mother are not lying, OP has the right to see the man nevertheless, not because he's entitled to anything but to hear his side of the story(so far the man is alive)
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Kobojunkie: 3:21pm On Jun 01, 2023
thinkmoney:
■ Ok, ur intellectual capacity, comprehension ability and honesty have been clearly shown now. It will be unwise for me to continue with u again now
Liar! undecided
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Emaprince: 3:21pm On Jun 01, 2023
IamMobisola:

Lol, can we also say orphans are red flags too since they didn’t grow up with their parents? Or guys who grow up with single mothers are also red flags?
How would the guy know who is telling the truth between the father and mother? Since when did he become a mind reader?
Orphans are not red flags.

But kids trained by single mothers are red flags...unless the woman is a true born again.

Women are very bad in instilling discipline in their kids when their is a father figure missing.

You are a woman so ofcourse yoo would support the lady from an emotional point.

Truth is any man that wants peace and wants to run his home very well should do a lot of background check on his wife to be...and it includes finding out her relationship with her dad, like in this case..and the actual cause of the break up.

Only a foolish man who have been pusssy whipped will accept that stupid advice from his fiance.
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by jackmrandy: 3:21pm On Jun 01, 2023
MetaBroadband:

the man did not abandone them /her. Tell her to tell you the full story. you might be shocked at what the real dad will tell you and why things happened the way it happened. try and hear the story from both side. tell the real dad you want to marry her daughter. I believe you are a man too, so do whats right when it comes to marriage issue. except if he not alive anymore, then you can pay to the step dad. but if he is alive, my brother go and meet him

1 Like

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by bukatyne(f): 3:24pm On Jun 01, 2023
IamMobisola:

Like I don’t understand them. He should go and look for another woman who lives with both biological parents

It is not that hard.

After all, there are plenty single ladies in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by bukatyne(f): 3:25pm On Jun 01, 2023
Joseph77200:

I'm not even surprised you are a lady so I know how you all do reason but I am not the one who needed the advice you can direct it to the man who is here seeking for opinions by telling him to end the relationship if he doesn't believe the story he was told by the mother and daughter.

Didn't you see the big bright F in front of my moniker before quoting me the first time?

Why would you be surprised that I am a lady?

2 Likes

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by HopeSpencer: 3:26pm On Jun 01, 2023
Micheal56:
If am the gal I can hate u for this ur I too know attitude
Bro if u have anything to give Abeg give to the foster father good people need to be appreciated
The father never beleive any event like this will happen in the future
Indirectly she no beleive say the gal go be somebody

Rest
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Nyceguy92: 3:26pm On Jun 01, 2023
Solution to this matter is deeply rooted in the prevailing tradition of your fiancee's community.

As long as you know that the biological father is still alive and can be located, you cannot carry out marriage rites without his knowledge.

It is not entirely your fiancee's role to dictate who you see.
In fact, the biological stepfather should actually be the one to advise you to go see the girl's father.

After the marriage, you can decide which of the fathers you want to deal more with going forward.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Emaprince: 3:27pm On Jun 01, 2023
Why would any man even consider marrying a woman who doesn't want him to meet her real dad.

The kind men that exist these days sef.

If you dump this girl, will anything happen to you?
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by bukatyne(f): 3:27pm On Jun 01, 2023
AmazonTopaz:

I have been waiting for this comment.

It's the patriarchal culture.

By now, there should have been changes to it.

Even if anyone is to contact the deadbeat father or his family, it should be the girl's mother.

Interestingly, if it were the son getting married, the father is not needed enough to start hunting for him. (At least in Yoruba land)

1 Like

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Femi8586(m): 3:28pm On Jun 01, 2023
Micheal56:

Truth be told
Every human have bad side
You only ignore flaws due to love
Even if the man get something to say he no matter
The foster father is the real man here

No one is writing off the foster father here..
Marriage is a delicate institution
Let him see the biological father first...it is not good to trust his fiance blindly on something that may come back to haunt him in future.
He should trust, but also verify

Why is she and her mother getting so angry with this?
If all they said were completely true and the man is a complete deadbeat father, they have nothing to be worried about.

Why is she becoming so bitter at any mention of her biological father?
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Iliveforever(m): 3:28pm On Jun 01, 2023
MetaBroadband:

I'm so sorry Ma, this is not the reason for this post. Yesterday we spoke she said the man is aware, that he does not have issues with it.

So why can't I meet this man as well if truly the man is aware that she's getting married?

Secondly, if they are in good terms then it should have been proper for me to meet him too.

I've seen and heard marriages like this that later required some attention in the future because of a step that was skipped in the past. So get this clear, this is not a fiction to castigate women.

I’m a fellow guy like you, but if I’m the girl in question, I wouldn’t mind dumping you immediately because the way you reason is too stupid and naive.

1 Like

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Emmanuel909090: 3:30pm On Jun 01, 2023
MetaBroadband:

If you meet him or not he will still live, but trend with care, a girl that is against you meeting her biological father is a bad sign for me.

1 Like

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by alizma: 3:31pm On Jun 01, 2023
MetaBroadband:

If her mother has truly accept you as son in law to be, talk to your fiancee to see how both of you can, in agreement, convince the mother to temper justice with mercy so that she can allow you guys to meet the man and possibly get his blessings. That doesn't mean he now has right to cross his boundary but to fulfill certain things. The fact that she can't forget she has a biological father create a natural gap wide enough not to be ignored.
For everything we do on earth, there is a punishment or reward. God will handle the man for not take appreciate care of the girl and should the girl also refused to honor the father, she will get her own punishment too. God didn't say honor only your responsible father and mother so that your days will be long.
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Kobojunkie: 3:32pm On Jun 01, 2023
Nyceguy92:
Solution to this matter is deeply rooted in the prevailing tradition of your fiancee's community.
As long as you know that the biological father is still alive and can be located, you cannot carry out marriage rites without his knowledge. It is not entirely your fiancee's role to dictate who you see. In fact, the biological stepfather should actually be the one to advise you to go see the girl's father. After the marriage, you can decide which of the fathers you want to deal more with going forward.
Interesting claim! So in the case the mother got the girl from a sperm-bank donor, your tradition demands you locate the donor — who was probably paid for his sperm at the time — to hand over her bride price to him? Africans— you all need to heal yourselves of what is obvious cultural foolishness! undecided

4 Likes

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by vislabraye(m): 3:33pm On Jun 01, 2023
MetaBroadband:

Do as she wishes. Parenthood goes beyond being biological. It would be unfair of you not to acknowledge the "parents" who took good care of her. Most people think the natural father or mother has some sort of authority. That's not true. There are so many evil blood parents around. Listen to news.
Don't deprive her adopted parents of the honour they deserve.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by AmazonTopaz(f): 3:33pm On Jun 01, 2023
bukatyne:

By now, there should have been changes to it.

Even if anyone is to contact the deadbeat father or his family, it should be the girl's mother.

Interestingly, if it were the son getting married, the father is not needed enough to start hunting for him. (At least in Yoruba land)
There would be no changes because it benefits men. It is their get-out-of-responsibility-free card.

The OP in my view is in no position to contact the biological father. It is illogical to do this and so I agree that it should be the mother of the girl and by reasons best known to her if she doesn't want to do it the OP should respect it he has no standing on this issue.

If I were the deadbeat father shame go catch me and you would not even see me there I will just be minding my business but men unfortunately are allowed to be shameless in this society.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (18) (Reply)

20 Things You Must Teach Your Children Before They Grow Up / Ustaz Abdulfattah Adeyemi: 'Your Husband Is Meant To Be Shared With Other Women' / Woman Celebrates Her Quadruplets At 6 Months (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.