Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,187 members, 7,818,604 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:40 PM

Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father - Family (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father (35137 Views)

Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price / Italian Lady Finds Her Biological Mum In Nigeria After 34 Years (Pics, Video) / Man Slumps & Dies After DNA Test Showed He Is Not His Son's Biological Father (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by 43Ronin: 3:33pm On Jun 01, 2023
IamMobisola:

The best thing to do is to call-off the wedding and move on with your life since you do not respect your fiancé’s wishes to leave the biological father out of the equation. They have told you to leave the man alone but you still want to go ahead and look for the man to hear his sides? And you think the man will tell you the truth if he actually abandoned the girl?

This write up actually shows the kind of person you are and I wish that fiancé of yours would call off the wedding if you insist on not minding your business which is to the girl’s family you have always known since you started dating.

you see, South easterners and South southerners are not like yoruba people. marriage is a big deal to those people and hence they can't just mind their biz when it comes to things like marriage and burial. There are customs and traditions that must be followed, and one of them is getting information or asking questions. I even heard that for akwa ibom there's a lot of spiritual stuffs involved in their marriage that could be detrimental to either couple. So stop littering the tread with baseless advice abi you also got daddy issues undecided

2 Likes

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by vislabraye(m): 3:34pm On Jun 01, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Interesting claim! So in the case the mother got the girl from a sperm-bank donor, your tradition demands you locate the donor — who was probably paid for his sperm at the time — to hand over her bride price to him? Africans— you all need to heal yourselves of what is obvious cultural foolishness! undecided

That's tradition, indeed.
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Kobojunkie: 3:35pm On Jun 01, 2023
vislabraye:
■ That's tradition, indeed.
Tufiakwa! angry
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by mastermaestro(m): 3:35pm On Jun 01, 2023
ZIMDRILL:

this is complex but it differs tradition of every tribe etc

where i came from son in law can ONLY pay bride price to the biological father in law or the women's family. if the child was raised by the mother alone, the biological father will
be present at the bride price day to witness and given a little token, but the large sum is given to the mum and her brothers

In my culture a step father can not represent a living biological father not matter the reason
they separated from the mother and whether deadbeat.

In my culture, if the father was absent when the girl was growing up and when she is getting married the biological father is invited to charge bride and the same time they will
charge him for being an absent father. if he had not paid bride price, they will charge him pride price, meaning instead of getting pride price from him daughter it will go pay the bride price of the girl's mother

For spiritual reason you pay bride price
to the biological father

In such situations your own family (son in laws) must guide you in finding the biological father or or his relatives, otherwise you pay pride price twice

Back to the story, lets say he pays bride price to the step father and in the long run the couple fights or have problems in house, which family will intervene to help ? the step father's family ? but if pride price is paid to the biological father its easy to seek help from relevent people from the biological father's family there are related by blood.

All this you spewed here is indulging dereliction of fatherly responsibility. Your culture is a very faulty one created by a set of chauvinistic men who believed that men can do no wrong no matter the magnitude of wrongs they are caught in.

A father is not a sperm donor. Otherwise, this sets societies back. Somebody makes a mess and yet receives an honour medal because culture dictates so. Get over this rubbish culture now!

An irresponsible man must not be handed the honour badge of fatherhood. Fatherhood without responsibility is criminality. You have a criminal culture I must say. sad

5 Likes

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by nevadahenz2014(m): 3:36pm On Jun 01, 2023
hmmmmm.......this matter go far ooooooooooooooooooo.......as long as the the lady said you should not bother yourself.....bros no just bother yourself ooo...go ahead with her decision..mother in law's are people you should not offend ooo..but when it turns the way round on the long run..u go just fold your arms and look away....
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Micheal56: 3:36pm On Jun 01, 2023
Femi8586:

No one is writing off the foster father here..
Marriage is a delicate institution
Let him see the biological father first...it is not good to trust his fiance blindly on something that may come back to haunt him in future.
He should trust, but also verify

Why is she and her mother getting so angry with this?
If all they said were completely true and the man is a complete deadbeat father, they have nothing to be worried about.

Why is she becoming so bitter at any mention of her biological father?

Watin be biological father ?
Bro truth be told
If person a abandon u wen u young u go remember am wen u start earning
I need a yes or no

1 Like

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Sermwell(m): 3:37pm On Jun 01, 2023
Micheal56:
Please get this clear
Your father is the one that take care of u not the one who gave birth to you
The one who gave birth to you is your father!! Nothing can change that!

You'll only be decieving yourself! cool

1 Like

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Everfrank(m): 3:40pm On Jun 01, 2023
Mind your business and do the needful. After marriage you can follow up and reconcile the girl with her father.
Her mother has surely poisoned her mind against the biological father.
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Micheal56: 3:40pm On Jun 01, 2023
Sermwell:

The one who gave birth to you is your father!! Nothing can change that!

You'll only be decieving yourself! cool
Bro calm down all humans are diff
I don't joke with case of been abandoned
I know how it feel

1 Like

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by bukatyne(f): 3:40pm On Jun 01, 2023
AmazonTopaz:

1. There would be no changes because it benefits men. It is their get-out-of-responsibility-free card.

2. The OP in my view is in no position to contact the biological father. It is illogical to do this and so I agree that it should be the mother of the girl and by reasons best known to her if she doesn't want to do it the OP should respect it he has no standing on this issue.

3. If I were the deadbeat father shame go catch me and you would not even see me there I will just be minding my business but men unfortunately are allowed to be shameless in this society.

1. True

2. I don’t understand; he will look for a father (he doesn't know the whereabouts) and after the miracle of finding him introduce himself as what? What if the man has re-married and did not tell his new family that he is after 1? It even shows that the OP lacks critical thinking and what it takes to lead a home. The moment he knew that he was marrying the lady, he should have influenced her to see reason why her father should be engaged and implore her till she agrees. But no, he proposed and is at the point of list collection realised that he 'needs' the biological father.

3. Shame ke? You see them dancing like they did most of the work. Anyways, the mothers are always compensated; doing very well for themselves and enjoying the kids when they succeed. The fathers usually dissolve back to where they came from. Maybe just sending monthly upkeep money to them if required.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Edipet(m): 3:41pm On Jun 01, 2023
Ufuka:
Iam so shocked by many people's comment here, I hardly comment but I have to do so cos this's a matter between life and death. In Akwa Ibom State, there's no amendment to custom and tradition, don't allow your fiancee or your future mother inlaw to lead you astray, for the sake of your fiancee's life. Listen very well, go and get the marriage list from your fiancee's biological father, the bride price and every other thing should be paid to him,
his kinsmen & your fiancee's mum alone. The marriage should be done in his hometown and he's the one to sit as a father that very day. Any amount of money you can afford, give it to the man that took care of your fiancee. If your fiancee and the mother refuse to accept it, please and please cancel the marriage. A WORD IS ENOUGH FOR THE WISE.
You should say "A WISE WORD" you are truly knowledgeable about about tradition.
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by gbogboija: 3:42pm On Jun 01, 2023
Matters like this are thought provoking, and I will advise that you apply wisdom. Women can be funny at times, and whatever they tell you may not actually be true. Do your due diligence. Ire o.
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Vboot1: 3:43pm On Jun 01, 2023
The step father didn't bring her into this world. You should, you MUST see her biological father before doing anything about her. Anything you aside that, you're on your own.
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Staywithbina: 3:44pm On Jun 01, 2023
MetaBroadband:
Good morning mature men and women in the house. Please I need your help on this topic.

My Fiancee told me about how her biological dad abandoned her and her mum after getting her mum pregnant.

Her mum later married another man who adopted her as his child.

I use because of you login, the blood father is who you pay bride price to,and after paying bride price and you care not to have anything to do with him ,fine ..

Now she's grown and I've proposed to her, I wanted to go for her official introduction and list collection.

Would it not be nice to hear the biological father's opinion? Should I just ignore the fact that the man is still alive and proceed with the marriage arrangement?

Although she said I should not bother about that, but this is Nigeria and as an Akwa Ibomite I don't think it's proper. Although she's against me trying to find out about the man's opinion. Should I care?

What can you say about this?

Note: she only told me that the man abandoned them, but what if it was her mum that actually took her away?
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Thereishel: 3:44pm On Jun 01, 2023
You definitely need to meet her biological father because of the future don't listen to all this immature people saying is unnecessary
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by 123yes(m): 3:47pm On Jun 01, 2023
My brother any body who advised you to live the biological father aside in this issue don't know what he is saying. The dowry belongs to the biological father. If you do other wise the consequence that will come up one day, you will surely remember my talk
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Sermwell(m): 3:48pm On Jun 01, 2023
Micheal56:

Bro calm down all humans are diff
I don't joke with case of been abandoned
I know how it feel
How you feel about abandonment doesn't change a natural phenomenon!! You'll just find yourself in a conundrum!!

What if the biological father goes after you both legally and even spiritually?? He will win you hands down especially when you didn't even get to hear both sides! It's unwise to hear only one side of a story and make a decision as serious as marriage! Haba
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by BigBen23(m): 3:50pm On Jun 01, 2023
If you don't want problems in your marriage, do the needful and meet the biological father. Hear form the two sides of the coin. Women can do all evil against men because they barely speak

I have a girl I'm dating right now whom I wish to settle down with when the time comes. I have only known the mom. I have asked her about her dad, but she's not ready to talk yet, which I'm not in a hurry to know. But you see, if I finally wants to settle down with her or approaching to it, she doesn't even need to be the one to tell me about her father, because I go dig and dig from all angles.
So, do all possible to know all about her father. They may be the ones who abandoned the said man and sugarcoat everything to you.
Doing this is a tradition and a needful decision.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by thedarkened: 3:51pm On Jun 01, 2023
Birthing a life is a process that does not fully guarantee nor complete what it takes to be called a father until an integral part (responsibility) is carried.

Appreciate and respect that man that took it upon himself to look after your wife-to-be till now, by involving him in the introduction and bride price process as suggested by the mum and your fiancee. Along the line, prefferably before your wedding, you can meet the dad.
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Tonnyray: 3:51pm On Jun 01, 2023
MetaBroadband:
Good morning mature men and women in the house. Please I need your help on this topic.
My Fiancee told me about how her biological dad abandoned her and her mum after getting her mum pregnant.
Now she's grown and I've proposed to her, I wanted to go for her official introduction and list collection.
Would it not be nice to hear the biological father's opinion? Should I just ignore the fact that the man is still alive and proceed with the marriage arrangement?
Although she said I should not bother about that, but this is Nigeria and as an Akwa Ibomite I don't think it's proper. Although she's against me trying to find out about the man's opinion. Should I care?

Note: she only told me that the man abandoned them, but what if it was her mum that actually took her away?
Very deep but this is what I'll say in a nutshell: To prevent you being the side-lined father-in-law in another 25-30 years' time, (cos trust me these things come in cycles) tell your fiancee your parents insist on having a brief meeting with her biological father as your family tradition entails but assure her that all marriage rites and obligations will be to her step father.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by lomprico(m): 3:52pm On Jun 01, 2023
MetaBroadband:

You wan go find trouble where e Sidon jeje. Na her papa train her?

You as a man, lets assume your baby mama took your child away, won't you be making effort to be in the child's life? Unless you are an irresponsible father.
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by silibaba: 3:53pm On Jun 01, 2023
satelliteDISH:

This is a very tough one.
The girls mother is very bitter. She has been nursing that bitterness all her life since she got pregnant. She doesn't want the man that got her pregnant and abandoned her to reap from the gains that come through the girl.
That is her revenge. To her, that is justice served.

To go see the biological father might not go down well with your mother in law and she will hate you for this.
Since your fiancee and her mother have disowned the man. They have acknowledged the step father as their father and husband, go and honour the step father with the necessary traditional items.

The biological father cannot come out of the blues and reap from where he didn't invest for over 20+ years of the girls life. It is an unfair trade.
what if the biological father come be say is already rich? How much is bride pride self wey you no want the man to reap.
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by grandstar(m): 3:54pm On Jun 01, 2023
MetaBroadband

I can not have a daughter somewhere and not find her. Children experience a lot of ugly things when there's no father around. Many times, the stepfather sexually abuses the child.

Are you a man if you've not contributed a dime to your child's upbringing?(Read 1 Tim 5:8

Search for the man after the wedding. Whatever his side of the story is immaterial if he can't show proof he searched for her.

Will her stepfather not to reap for his care? Her dad was simply the sperm donor. Her stepfather was the one who scratched her back when she said "it's itching me." Toddlers and their wahala

1 Like

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Souzin: 3:54pm On Jun 01, 2023
Over sabi wan kill you so.
To some of you, a man can do no wrong
And the idea that a man can abandon his family (something we see every time) is outlandish and the mother must have done something terrible to the saint, that is her biological father.
Mumu talk.
Face your wife and the family she's shown you

2 Likes

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by lomprico(m): 3:54pm On Jun 01, 2023
123yes:
My brother any body who advised you to live the biological father aside in this issue don't know what he is saying. The dowry belongs to the biological father. If you do other wise the consequence that will come up one day, you will surely remember my talk

If he paid bride price for her mother then he can claim that but if he did not marry or pay anything on her, he has no right to claim any bride price.
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by jazzyking(m): 3:54pm On Jun 01, 2023
Creamypie:
Oga, try locate him, u weren't there when their fight started, don't be caught in d middle, no matter their explanation. Irrespective of his short comings. Tell them your family must acknowledge him. You will understand later. You have to hear from both sides. Your family have full right to meet him and his people. u may be surprised that she deliberately kept her father away from their lives after she met her husband, and us am to pepper the man when she's grown up.na so one wedding we attended in ogwashi uku, delta state, the girl mama no want us to meet her dad people ( dad is dead from stroke, cos of her mum wahala) even the man people were scared when we eventually went to meet them. Her mum made sure she isolated and seperated her late husband from his family, after which she frustrated him to b.p, stroke and eventual death. women. Them go still carry grudges face you and sandwich u as a married man, isolating you from ur family.

You head is very correct, I recommend that you locate the biological father to get the real story and also that the same thing does not repeat itself in your life. The last part is coded, many of the young men will not understand the last part of the above statement.

1 Like

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by nams77: 3:57pm On Jun 01, 2023
sisisioge:
grin grin grin grin

What is your concern with the sperm donor that contributed to her biology when she has presented you with her dad who raised her? Orisirisi! Are you sure you're soundly ready for marriage? It is for people who are really grown up o grin

You should have asked for all her mom's ex boyfriends too fa grin

I see a lot of childish comments here. it's clear most of you don't know your culture and tradition and don't go close to your elders.

Traditional, the op needs to see the biological father. He need not do any financial aspect towards him but custom demands he see him

Op, go and ask the elders from your family. You will hear exactly what I Just told you. Leave all these nairaland children alone. This is a matter for elders
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by jazzyking(m): 3:57pm On Jun 01, 2023
MetaBroadband:
Thank you all for your excellent contributions. Please note the following:

1. They said the man abandoned them, but what if it's not actually what happened, so let's not be emotional.

2. I'm not paying the bride price to the biological father, but there should be an understanding between both fathers at this point. because if the child was taken away from the man or if he had acted as a child then, both parents can come to an understanding so that my wife won't hurt any part of the tradition in the course of our marriage.

3. I know that my mother inlaw would be angry, but I still feel it's my right to know. What if something bad happens to my wife because she married in a way that violates her tradition (give Caeser things to Caesar)

4. I'm doing this for my fiancee not me, because as far as I've paid my bride price nothing can come to me, but if anything comes to my wife, it automatically affects me. So it's not just her and her mum's business.

Thank you as you put this thoughts into consideration as well.

Please excuse typos

The discovery may turn out to be you in the future.

1 Like

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by IamAsiri: 3:58pm On Jun 01, 2023
Hhansome:
Trust me, they're all lying against the man. Woman has filled her (daughter) up with bitterness and you should be worried.

Were you there? Just sit down and be typing nonsense against women because of likes.
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Vboot1: 4:09pm On Jun 01, 2023
Kobojunkie:
A sperm donor does not a father make. Science has more than made that abundantly clear to us all at this point in time. You are not a mother simply because you donated an egg or carried a child to birth — women who work as surrogates can attest to this. Again, science has shown us that on numerous occasions. It is now up to us to update our individual cultures to account for this wisdom or continue to wallow in the ignorance of the past pretending we fulfill some sort of righteousness in our foolishness. That is my opinion. undecided

Smart dummy
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by chrisooblog: 4:10pm On Jun 01, 2023
The bold is all that matters. Why are you so bothered to hear from the biological dad when you don't know him from Adam. Abi is it the father you want to marry? Your wife to be and in-laws have told you who the significant people in their lives so why bring stress on yourself where there is non?

Unless their is a red flag you've noticed in your fiancée relax and carry on with your preparations.

Even if you are curious you can use style to ask her friends or family members what really happened but seriously whatever answer you get your woman has told you the man doesn't feature in her life. Respect that and move on with your wedding preparations.

MetaBroadband:

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Ajalekoko76(m): 4:10pm On Jun 01, 2023
Be Careful.... Marriage is beyond your view. The family your wife has issues and you will be automatically be party in that issue no matter what you do or how clever you are. ARE YOU PREPARED TO JOIN IN THE ISSUE / MATTER / CASE? You can't ignore the biological father. I will advise you don't rush marriage especially where biological and step fathers are involved, you and your family members must investigate the family you are about to marry from privately - marriage is beyond finance and finance, it involves families especially extended families. Let me say this to your mother in law is a reflection of your wife (character wise)😁 you will thank me later. Don't put the issue / matter of your mother in law and the biological father of your wife on top of your head, you are not to settle quarrel rather to inform the general public your father in-law inclusive that you intend to marry this lady, reasons for public announcement are many not limited to brouhaha between your mother in law and biological father of your would be wife. See, apply wisdom here, don't fence your family let them involve and advice you. You can claim that biological father of your lady call or stumble on you and you had talk on the marriage since the proposal is in the public domain. Remember, it important to know the history of family you're going just to guide against future occurrence. Above all, you have pray against curses , spell in your family and the lady's family- I do not suggest you begin to visit shrines or pastor's houses . Exercise FAITH in your life, give yourself fasting and prayer not any one.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (18) (Reply)

Ustaz Abdulfattah Adeyemi: 'Your Husband Is Meant To Be Shared With Other Women' / Woman Celebrates Her Quadruplets At 6 Months (Photos) / Should I Stay With My Parents And Invest Or Should I Leave? Advice Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.