Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,511 members, 7,816,237 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:07 AM

My Boss Calls Me All The Time. - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Boss Calls Me All The Time. (34815 Views)

My Boss Wants To Date Me. What Should I Do? / I Commented 'What A Nice Picture' On My Boss' Photo And She Is Taking It Up / Lady Quits Job Because Her Boss Calls Her "Sweetie" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Kellie069(m): 2:37pm On Oct 02, 2023
You are important to him and your opinions matters alot as he feels you should be involved in the everyday running of the school. The only unhealthy side of it is that it ought to reflect in the benefits that you get in regards to Salary and other special add ons. He sees potentials in you, hence you should request for an increase , he won’t say no. He just doesn’t want to put it straight to you that you are special amongst the rest staffs , my thoughts

1 Like

Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Opanka44(m): 2:38pm On Oct 02, 2023
Raf4:
Those your bosses/employers (proprietors) know how much they are paying to bank(s) every month as loan repayment. They'll rather treat the parents as demigods, because they're the source of income. If any parent vex commot their child(ren) that's fall in revenue. Meanwhile, you staff will get your full pay.

You're so wrong on this. Who are the ones responsible for the growth of the sch in the first place? If teachers were not doing their jobs, I'm sure there wouldn't be students to enrol. Teachers are the live wire and they need to be treated with caution and respect
Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Geovanni412(m): 2:38pm On Oct 02, 2023
Opanka44:

You're so correct Sir. I've been so critical of myself cos I'm not getting any younger. I need to start planning on achieving great things and this paltry sums can't take me anywhere. My house rent alone is something else. What can 40k do in this harsh economy?
He even engaged me for private tutorials on weekend, Saturdays and Sundays to teach his two daughters in SS classes. I barely have a rest except at night when I'm sleeping

Start by listening to this....

Ignore the funny title...listen to the message for at least 5 mins

It will give you an idea why it is hard for you to leave that job. From there, you will know what to do:

https://spotify/4viAFXUozDb
Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Last355(m): 2:40pm On Oct 02, 2023
Opanka44:

Ok sir. Thanks. But I no longer have my free time or even Privacy. He even engaged me with Weekend private lessons for his two daughters in senior classes. I'm typing from there right now. Lesson is Saturdays and Sundays 2-5pm

Hmm, Laban and Jacob comes to mind. Just endure, his two daughters may be your Leah and Rachel. Or don't you like what you see grin
Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by nams77: 2:40pm On Oct 02, 2023
LikeAking:

Continue with ya ignorance..
You are a typical Nigerian employer. Yes, customer is king but that does not mean you shouldn't appreciate your staff or gently protect them when they are in right.

Op this scenario requires a delicate balancing. Yes, the parents bring the funds but an employer should also be be willing to GENTLY support his staff when the evidence is overwhelmingly in their favour

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Opanka44(m): 2:41pm On Oct 02, 2023
Kellie069:
You are important to him and your opinions matters alot as he feels you should be involved in the everyday running of the school. The only unhealthy side of it is that it ought to reflect in the benefits that you get in regards to Salary and other special add ons. He sees potentials in you, hence you should request for an increase , he won’t say no. He just doesn’t want to put it straight to you that you are special amongst the rest staffs , my thoughts

Sure!
He's too emotional about his sch and such is affecting his managerial acumen. I'm beginning to doubt his astuteness as a manager. I'm not an administrative staff, but he's always calling on me to join heads with the management staff and work with them
Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by goldbim(f): 2:41pm On Oct 02, 2023
Geovanni412:

grin grin

You may not like my answer....

Your boss values you as a trusted employee and he is willing for you to carry the load of the school

By bringing you close to him, he is making you feel comfortable that you are important to the school

The happiness you feel of being important will allow him continue to pay you pennies for years whilst others in your field will keep advancing and make more money

Your happiness will make you believe that one day, he will recognize your value and elevate you by giving you a better deal but such a day will likely never come.

If you doubt what I'm saying, ask your boss for a raise in line with your increasing responsibility and see what he will say. cool

My two cents...

Use your sense and prepare to find a new job before you wake up one day and wonder how you wasted 4-5 yrs of your life working for a psycho cool
@ OP,kindly consider this advice.. I've been in your shoes and I have to take the bulls by the horn.. you'll just realize that your mates have achieved alot and you're just stucked .I was in same position and I did that for 13years ..all is just a ploy to make you so comfortable..
He'l discuss family affairs with you and even make you look like a member of his family but guesd what?" A stranger will always be a stranger".
Don't get too comfortable In that school because even your colleagues will be envious of you and they'll think you're the one influencing his decisions one way or the other..
Start looking for better options!!leave that comfort zone..I wish I was this wiser 10years ago.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Opanka44(m): 2:41pm On Oct 02, 2023
grin angry
Last355:

Hmm, Laban and Jacob comes to mind. Just endure, his two daughters may be your Leah and Rachel. Or don't you like what you see grin

Abegooo
Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by alizma: 2:42pm On Oct 02, 2023
Opanka44:
Good day my beautiful people here. Nairaland is my Family because I don't have a physical/Blood-related family and I believe I'll get the appropriate counsel here.

So, I work as a teacher of Mathematics in a Private School. The school is almost 3years since it's establishment while I'm over 2years working there.

My Employers(Husband & wife) are the Best you can ever have as far as the teaching job is concerned. They pay on time and are easygoing people. However, almost all the staff(42 staff) aren't happy with the fact that they give parents and students more concern at the detriment of the staff. As in, you can't get into a conflict with a learner or parent & ever expect to win the case even when it is obvious you're Right.

They allow the parents to decide what goes on in the school. And this isn't going down well with many of the staff. Parents moan a lot when u give them such chance. At a point I had to tell my boss that I was resigning, but he pleaded with me to stay and I stayed. But I'm really getting fed up.

The other thing is his incessant and unsolicited calls. I've worked in Eight schools in four different states of this country & I hate to be friends with my employers cos I have learnt a lot based on my previous experiences.

Such relationship doesn't end well cos I'm always at the receiving end. Truth is, I love the sch so much. The pay is not even up to 40k but I bless God. Aside doing my job, I also advise him on way forward as regards the sch. I even won the Best teacher's award last session.

I feel really uncomfortable with the way he calls me everyday even on weekends and odd hours. I no longer have my Privacy. He calls for very trivial reasons and it's about what I should do, how parents are complaining about some particular issues.

You hardly get applause for been dedicated to work. He is so quick to criticize, but never gives credit when he should. No matter how perfect you are at your job, once there's one little stain on it, it has dented every other good deeds. It's really so demoralizing and we the staff are not happy. There's no staff there that isn't hardworking, so why not overlook a few mistakes? I understand it's Business but his staff are also humans.

At times, I will have to either put off my two phones or put the phones on DND so as to avoid his calls. He has all my three lines. I had to stylishly ask some other close colleagues of mine if they also received such numerous calls form our Boss, but they said No.

So why is mine different?
If he calls you everytime on issues about the school and would beg you not to go, technically you have become a shareholder in the school, ask for increase in your salary, at least with that you know that your stress is not in vain.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Opirlo: 2:42pm On Oct 02, 2023
Me no come understand ur complain bros, at first u said ur boss nd d wife are best people to work with, easy going nd bla bla bla, so why d twist to plenty complain again? On d other hand maybe he is grooming u to hand over d school affairs in his absence or he maybe a gay depending on what he normally told u on call during odd hours.
Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Ngenge(m): 2:42pm On Oct 02, 2023
Opanka44:

Ok sir. Thanks. But I no longer have my free time or even Privacy. He even engaged me with Weekend private lessons for his two daughters in senior classes. I'm typing from there right now. Lesson is Saturdays and Sundays 2-5pm
I hope he is not the one that forced you to work on weekends? I hope he is paying you for those weekend classes? I hope you are the one that fixed the amount he is to pay you on weekends?
Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Opanka44(m): 2:42pm On Oct 02, 2023
Geovanni412:

Start by listening to this....

Ignore the funny title...listen to the message for at least 5 mins

It will give you an idea why it is hard for you to leave that job. From there, you will know what to do:

https://spotify/4viAFXUozDb

No data for now
Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by thrillionaire(m): 2:44pm On Oct 02, 2023
Opanka44:

You're completely correct. He has seen the potentials in me so he's exploring them without commensurate incentives and renumeration. I'm not even an administrative staff, yet ne continues to indulge me in adminisstrative duties. He will call me on Saturdays to come interview Job applicants, go represent the school at official functions, Be the MC in our school's occasions like end of the year/term party. I will anchor PTA meetings. We are almost 50 staff there and I'm almost the youngest in age
I say to you, stay there for some more time and gain valuable experience. Take up the extra responsibilities with joy and enthusiasm. You will learn the in and out of the school education system. I feel God is making ways for you to start up your own school business. This is your calling and you'll grow excellently.

I love the way you write and express yourself. You're intelligent. All the best.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Oluwadare316(m): 2:44pm On Oct 02, 2023
Opanka44:

I'm looking forward to a day your comment can ever make a complete sense on this platform. What do u mean by "Na my type go kill people Business" Did u read where I said I won Best Teacher of the year for last session?
Those private schools and their wahala, if u work hard they will give u more work. They can scrutinize like kilode though it depends, if u have a skill or any interest in digital skills or vocational skills you can add until u leave teaching alone. No matter the payment from private schools, dem go use u. at the end one might not have time and interest to do other things in life.
As as man, you might have plans and its better than nothing. I prefer to do vocational skills or seek other options than teaching in private schools because you might be limited of options when u married/settle down due to several reasons.

2 Likes

Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by sweetrace(f): 2:44pm On Oct 02, 2023
Opanka44:

I think that's what I should do. Each time he calls, my Blood pressure will just rise even before I pick the call. I've lost my peace already. As far as teaching is concerned, I have lots of experience. And can easily get another teaching offer if I quit this.

If he had no respect for you he won’t be calling you. You won the best teacher of the year and so must have something to offer. What you need to do is stop taking calls after a particular time when you get home. Initially, he may not understand. But be polite and let him know that you need to rest so you can give your best in school.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by omoadeleye(m): 2:45pm On Oct 02, 2023
Opanka44:

I'm looking forward to a day your comment can ever make a complete sense on this platform. What do u mean by "Na my type go kill people Business" Did u read where I said I won Best Teacher of the year for last session?

Your best teacher doesn't cause a trend of influx of new students to the school or either trigger a rise in school fees.

So the guy is right about you,
You are the type that will kill a business.

You can imagine the school owner placing the teachers over parents that use their own money to pay for school fees for their wards and at the end of the month you will be expecting salary

If they're no students in schools and the school can't continue paying staff do you think that they will still retain you? No, you will be fired since the school is not making money.

When you have your business you will understand what it means to be humble.
Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Opanka44(m): 2:46pm On Oct 02, 2023
Ngenge:
I hope he is not the one that forced you to work on weekends? I hope he is paying you for those weekend classes? I hope you are the one that fixed the amount he is to pay you on weekends?

He is paying me for that. But he was the one that fixed the amount he would pay me. Himself and wife are so fond of doing this and I'm not happy at all. They link u up with private lessons and end up negotiating on your behalf even without your consent. Then they call to tell u that they person said he/she will pay so so amount for the lesson. They will say l should consider the parent involved since the parent has children in our sch.
Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by ACCACENCONSULTS: 2:46pm On Oct 02, 2023
well, as a professional, I will advice you speak with your boss one on one about his incessant calls rather than blocking him. I feel he is doing all that to make sure you don't quit your job cos you are the best so far. So, call him and reassure him that you aren't leaving for now and to stop calling you often. Also, never discuss your next line of action with anybody until you secure a new job....talking from experience.... Shalom.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Opanka44(m): 2:47pm On Oct 02, 2023
sweetrace:

If he had no respect for you he won’t be calling you. You won the best teacher of the year and so must have something to offer. What you need to do is stop taking calls after a particular time when you get home. Initially, he may not understand. But be polite and let him know that you need to rest so you can give your best in school.

Thank you so much. I appreciate this wise input. God bless you

1 Like

Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Opanka44(m): 2:48pm On Oct 02, 2023
ACCACENCONSULTS:
well, as a professional, I will advice you speak with your boss one on one about his incessant calls rather than blocking him. I feel he is doing all that to make sure you don't quit your job cos you are the best so far. So, call him and reassure him that you aren't leaving for now and to stop calling you often. Also, never discuss your next line of action with anybody until you secure a new job....talking from experience.... Shalom.

Thanks so much Sir. I'm really very grateful
Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Geovanni412(m): 2:49pm On Oct 02, 2023
Opanka44:

No data for now

Link was wrong...

When you have data...try this: https://open.spotify.com/episode/1tggraaJmDCbTIoZDimI4d?si=gUkWRDzcT0a7lpx-k4TFXw

Or download Spotify app and search for far from weak podcast...the episode on how to take control of your life

If you prefer reading, read this article, it is the same message as the podcast,
https://www.verywellmind.com/what-happens-during-an-amygdala-hijack-4165944

To save time, copy the contents of the page and paste it in chatgpt and ask it to explain it to you in simple terms or to explain it to you like a high schooler.

Once you understand the details of the article or podcast, you will know the next step to take.
Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Trustedpronet: 2:50pm On Oct 02, 2023
he hardly gives credit but he gave you an award as best teacher of the year. Your story is contradictory....they are easy going family, you don't like been friend with your employer....i don't understand you. You sure sey no be Tinubu subsidy removal dey give you depression? Because me too dey feel the pains o.
Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Oluwadare316(m): 2:50pm On Oct 02, 2023
No matter how good or bad a person is, you will always be tired of working in a private schools. Nysc really exposed some of what those teachers are facing, though those in public school have some advantages over them. To get the right or perfect employment is difficult since the country is hard. Fvck work😆as a man, if not for money💔🤦e get some things wey my coconut head fit tolerate.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Chvenigltd: 2:50pm On Oct 02, 2023
Your boss calls at an odd hour, 'You Answer', then you come here and complain I also realized that you discussed some disadvantages of being an employee. If you don’t feel good just switch to being an employer. I guess you will behave the same way.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Opanka44(m): 2:51pm On Oct 02, 2023
thrillionaire:
I say to you, stay there for some more time and gain valuable experience. Take up the extra responsibilities with joy and enthusiasm. You will learn the in and out of the school education system. I feel God is making ways for you to start up your own school business. This is your calling and you'll grow excellently.

I love the way you write and express yourself. You're intelligent. All the best.

Thanks so much Sir. I appreciate your Wise counsel. Actually, I have a very huge passion for the teaching job and I'm doing all I can to become a better Tutor. I want a govt teaching job as a varsity lecturer.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by bfn1: 2:52pm On Oct 02, 2023
BloomingDale:
Just block his phone number on all three numbers and get an official phone number, or dedicate one of those three numbers as your official phone number, give that to him and have it on only during official hours and permanently block his phone number on the other two.
Op, please take this advice. It's the best for your current situation.
Set strict boundaries & stick to it.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Opanka44(m): 2:52pm On Oct 02, 2023
Trustedpronet:
he hardly gives credit but he gave you an award as best teacher of the year. Your story is contradictory....they are easy going family, you don't like been friend with your employer....i don't understand you. You sure sey no be Tinubu subsidy removal dey give you depression? Because me too dey feel the pains o.

Your comprehension skill is really very low
Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Opanka44(m): 2:55pm On Oct 02, 2023
goldbim:
@ OP,kindly consider this advice.. I've been in your shoes and I have to take the bulls by the horn.. you'll just realize that your mates have achieved alot and you're just stucked .I was in same position and I did that for 13years ..all is just a ploy to make you so comfortable..
He'l discuss family affairs with you and even make you look like a member of his family but guesd what?" A stranger will always be a stranger".
Don't get too comfortable In that school because even your colleagues will be envious of you and they'll think you're the one influencing his decisions one way or the other..
Start looking for better options!!leave that comfort zone..I wish I was this wiser 10years ago.

Ok Bro. Thanks
Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Trustedpronet: 2:55pm On Oct 02, 2023
Opanka44:

Your comprehension skill is really very low

Yes it's very low because yours is very high...we can't be high at the same time.
Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by LordReed(m): 2:56pm On Oct 02, 2023
Opanka44:
Good day my beautiful people here. Nairaland is my Family because I don't have a physical/Blood-related family and I believe I'll get the appropriate counsel here.

So, I work as a teacher of Mathematics in a Private School. The school is almost 3years since it's establishment while I'm over 2years working there.

My Employers(Husband & wife) are the Best you can ever have as far as the teaching job is concerned. They pay on time and are easygoing people. However, almost all the staff(42 staff) aren't happy with the fact that they give parents and students more concern at the detriment of the staff. As in, you can't get into a conflict with a learner or parent & ever expect to win the case even when it is obvious you're Right.

They allow the parents to decide what goes on in the school. And this isn't going down well with many of the staff. Parents moan a lot when u give them such chance. At a point I had to tell my boss that I was resigning, but he pleaded with me to stay and I stayed. But I'm really getting fed up.

The other thing is his incessant and unsolicited calls. I've worked in Eight schools in four different states of this country & I hate to be friends with my employers cos I have learnt a lot based on my previous experiences.

Such relationship doesn't end well cos I'm always at the receiving end. Truth is, I love the sch so much. The pay is not even up to 40k but I bless God. Aside doing my job, I also advise him on way forward as regards the sch. I even won the Best teacher's award last session.

I feel really uncomfortable with the way he calls me everyday even on weekends and odd hours. I no longer have my Privacy. He calls for very trivial reasons and it's about what I should do, how parents are complaining about some particular issues.

You hardly get applause for been dedicated to work. He is so quick to criticize, but never gives credit when he should. No matter how perfect you are at your job, once there's one little stain on it, it has dented every other good deeds. It's really so demoralizing and we the staff are not happy. There's no staff there that isn't hardworking, so why not overlook a few mistakes? I understand it's Business but his staff are also humans.

At times, I will have to either put off my two phones or put the phones on DND so as to avoid his calls. He has all my three lines. I had to stylishly ask some other close colleagues of mine if they also received such numerous calls form our Boss, but they said No.

So why is mine different?

This person you described is not easygoing at all! This person is a manipulative leech. It's unfortunate that jobs are sparse at the moment, if not I'd have advised you to get a different one and leave this one.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Gee64: 2:56pm On Oct 02, 2023
Quit and enjoy your peace. Get a better job if you can. Teaching in a private school is not a better option. Learn a skill and be your own boss.
Opanka44:

I think that's what I should do. Each time he calls, my Blood pressure will just rise even before I pick the call. I've lost my peace already. As far as teaching is concerned, I have lots of experience. And can easily get another teaching offer if I quit this.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Opanka44(m): 2:56pm On Oct 02, 2023
nams77:

You are a typical Nigerian employer. Yes, customer is king but that does not mean you shouldn't appreciate your staff or gently protect them when they are in right.

Op this scenario requires a delicate balancing. Yes, the parents bring the funds but an employer should also be be willing to GENTLY support his staff when the evidence is overwhelmingly in their favour

Pls don't respond to that boy, I have already put him where he belongs.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Is There A Reason As To Why A Bank Should Ask This Question? / Man Dies In Enugu As Foundation At A Construction Site Collapses On Him (Graphic / Lady Who Rehabilitated A Destitute Losses Her Job, See Her Reaction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.