Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:54 AM

My Boss Calls Me All The Time. - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Boss Calls Me All The Time. (34827 Views)

My Boss Wants To Date Me. What Should I Do? / I Commented 'What A Nice Picture' On My Boss' Photo And She Is Taking It Up / Lady Quits Job Because Her Boss Calls Her "Sweetie" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by siant: 2:57pm On Oct 02, 2023
It seems he sees you as the power engine of that school. What I observe is that he sees potential and leadership ability in you.
If you don't quit, I see you becoming the principal or part of the school's management in future when that school become big. Mark my words.

In any case, this is your stage of preparation, cus, It is most likely you become a school proprietor in future. No one undertake a given task without passing through the stage of preparation, so that he/she will not fail. That's when his or her diligence, patience and loyalty are being tested.
I don't know if you're a Christian, you need to know this truth.
Moses led the flock of his father-in-law for 40 years, before he led Israelites for 40 years. Joshua carried the sandals of Moses for years, before the mantle of leadership fell on him. Elisha poured water on Elijah's hands before he succeeded him. The 12 apostles learned at the feet of Jesus for 3 years before they blow.

Ma a f'ori ti.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Desusi: 2:58pm On Oct 02, 2023
LikeAking:

In business the customers are the king, in this case they are the parents of the kids..

Try and understand..

Na ya type they kill biz in Nigeria..

The customer is always right, when u open yours you will understand..

For now enjoy ya attention..

Exactly my brother! These children of nowadays don't seem to understand this. None the less,l see his boss preparing him for future entrepreneur of his own business. As dedicated as he is to his boss,in future, he would put extra ordinary strength to his own too.Besides there's an eye watching him who would no doubt compensate him.

2 Likes

Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Opanka44(m): 2:58pm On Oct 02, 2023
LordReed:

This person you described is not easygoing at all! This person is a manipulative leech. It's unfortunate that jobs are sparse at the moment, if not I'd have advised you to get a different one and leave this one.

I think you are so right about this... Truth is, I don't like been negative about people. But I think I agree with your submission

2 Likes

Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by jaxxy(m): 2:59pm On Oct 02, 2023
A school should have its ethics or rules it stands by, every parent, student and teacher should be fully aware of this and this will help conflict resolution when they arise.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Oluwadare316(m): 3:00pm On Oct 02, 2023
Opanka44:

Thanks so much Sir. I appreciate your Wise counsel. Actually, I have a very huge passion for the teaching job and I'm doing all I can to become a better Tutor. I want a govt teaching job as a varsity lecturer.
Bros, I can't make decisions for u but I have seen people earning better conveniently with their skills than teaching . If u are still under 30 and haven't married, consider having extra skills. I thought teaching in private schools make one age faster. It might not be easy to leave totally due to different reasons and the hardship in the country but you will be more creative and also earn more doing skilled work if government/ suitable private opportunities is not available. No be to dey pack certificate and speak English 😆smh.
Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Opanka44(m): 3:00pm On Oct 02, 2023
siant:
It seems he sees you as the power engine of that school. What I observe is that he sees potential and leadership ability in you.
If you don't quit, I see you becoming the principal or part of the school's management in future when that school become big. Mark my words.

In any case, this is your stage of preparation, cus, It is most likely you become a school proprietor in future. No one undertake a given task without passing through the stage of preparation, so that he/she will not fail. That's when his or her diligence, patience and loyalty are being tested.
I don't know if you're a Christian, you need to know this truth.
Moses led the flock of his father-in-law for 40 years, before he led Israelites for 40 years. Joshua carried the sandals of Moses for years, before the mantle of leadership fell on him. Elisha poured water on Elijah's hands before he succeeded him. The 12 apostles learned at the feet of Jesus for 3 years before they blow.

Ma a f'ori ti.

Thank you so much for these counsel. I appreciate. He calls me to perform many administrative tasks even when I'm not a management Staff

1 Like

Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Oluwadare316(m): 3:04pm On Oct 02, 2023
jaxxy:
A school should have its ethics or rules it stands by, every parent and teacher should be fully aware of this and this will help conflict resolution when they arise.
Some private schools will not even allow corpers to discipline the students and the permanent staff will be expecting corpers they are treating as inferior to work like them. So many things are wrong even in other sectors too.May God save us🙏❤
Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by SyrusdeHansome(m): 3:06pm On Oct 02, 2023
Opanka44:

What have I done to deserve such response. U insulted me for calling you Bro?

Don't mind the dude. I've always known a man is behind that monika. My advice for u is to stay calm. When we work for pple we shouln't always work for the sake of comfort nd money but rather we should use the opportunity to learn frm them. Learn how he runs the school so that when u have urs the experience can help u.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by AMI3(m): 3:07pm On Oct 02, 2023
Opanka44:

What have I done to deserve such response. U insulted me for calling you Bro?

She is a lady not a man.

Calm down.

I understand how u feel about ur boss. Don't get fed up. I will in the same position last year until I quit teaching job.

I was teaching mathematics and computer science.

He turns me to be an errand man according to him that there is no one to be trusted that those he tested fail him.

If u want to quit just cook a story for him and free urself from emotional slavery.

4 Likes

Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by realtalk19: 3:07pm On Oct 02, 2023
Opanka44:

You're correct Bro. I'm not even a management staff, yet he overburdens me administrative tasks. It's saddening

This is exactly me presently.doing 5 People's job at the same time

2 Likes

Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Ngenge(m): 3:09pm On Oct 02, 2023
Opanka44:

He is paying me for that. But he was the one that fixed the amount he would pay me. Himself and wife are so fond of doing this and I'm not happy at all. They link u up with private lessons and end up negotiating on your behalf even without your consent. Then they call to tell u that they person said he/she will pay so so amount for the lesson. They will say l should consider the parent involved since the parent has children in our sch.
It is not a crime for them to negotiate for you since the kids to be taught during private lessons are in your school already but if the pay is smaller than you want, you have the whole power to reject it for you to maintain your sanity. Look at what to do : If you are receiving like 10,000 for a particular child(ren); and they are like 3 in number. That is 10,000 naira per lesson, which is 30,000 in a month and another parent agrees to pay 15,000 for his child (ren); then you have the right to drop one of those who pays 10,000. Accept the highest bidder, no story

1 Like

Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by smasher1(m): 3:14pm On Oct 02, 2023
Opanka44:
Good day my beautiful people here. Nairaland is my Family because I don't have a physical/Blood-related family and I believe I'll get the appropriate counsel here.

So, I work as a teacher of Mathematics in a Private School. The school is almost 3years since it's establishment while I'm over 2years working there.

My Employers(Husband & wife) are the Best you can ever have as far as the teaching job is concerned. They pay on time and are easygoing people. However, almost all the staff(42 staff) aren't happy with the fact that they give parents and students more concern at the detriment of the staff. As in, you can't get into a conflict with a learner or parent & ever expect to win the case even when it is obvious you're Right.

They allow the parents to decide what goes on in the school. And this isn't going down well with many of the staff. Parents moan a lot when u give them such chance. At a point I had to tell my boss that I was resigning, but he pleaded with me to stay and I stayed. But I'm really getting fed up.

The other thing is his incessant and unsolicited calls. I've worked in Eight schools in four different states of this country & I hate to be friends with my employers cos I have learnt a lot based on my previous experiences.

Such relationship doesn't end well cos I'm always at the receiving end. Truth is, I love the sch so much. The pay is not even up to 40k but I bless God. Aside doing my job, I also advise him on way forward as regards the sch. I even won the Best teacher's award last session.

I feel really uncomfortable with the way he calls me everyday even on weekends and odd hours. I no longer have my Privacy. He calls for very trivial reasons and it's about what I should do, how parents are complaining about some particular issues.

You hardly get applause for been dedicated to work. He is so quick to criticize, but never gives credit when he should. No matter how perfect you are at your job, once there's one little stain on it, it has dented every other good deeds. It's really so demoralizing and we the staff are not happy. There's no staff there that isn't hardworking, so why not overlook a few mistakes? I understand it's Business but his staff are also humans.

At times, I will have to either put off my two phones or put the phones on DND so as to avoid his calls. He has all my three lines. I had to stylishly ask some other close colleagues of mine if they also received such numerous calls form our Boss, but they said No.

So why is mine different?

You can resign and go elsewhere if you are tired of his calls or go start your own school. But for now, from your write-up above, your boss(I don't know him) is a nice person and values you a lot. If I where you, I would keep doing my best and leave once I get a better offer.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by smasher1(m): 3:16pm On Oct 02, 2023
Opanka44:

I'm looking forward to a day your comment can ever make a complete sense on this platform. What do u mean by "Na my type go kill people Business" Did u read where I said I won Best Teacher of the year for last session?

Being best teacher of the year doesn't mean you can run a business well. Please customers are always right and although we love our colleagues, customers pay our bills. So we avoid winning arguments with customers even when we are right.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by frankson1(m): 3:18pm On Oct 02, 2023
Opanka44:
Good day my beautiful people here. Nairaland is my Family because I don't have a physical/Blood-related family and I believe I'll get the appropriate counsel here.

So, I work as a teacher of Mathematics in a Private School. The school is almost 3years since it's establishment while I'm over 2years working there.

My Employers(Husband & wife) are the Best you can ever have as far as the teaching job is concerned. They pay on time and are easygoing people. However, almost all the staff(42 staff) aren't happy with the fact that they give parents and students more concern at the detriment of the staff. As in, you can't get into a conflict with a learner or parent & ever expect to win the case even when it is obvious you're Right.

They allow the parents to decide what goes on in the school. And this isn't going down well with many of the staff. Parents moan a lot when u give them such chance. At a point I had to tell my boss that I was resigning, but he pleaded with me to stay and I stayed. But I'm really getting fed up.

The other thing is his incessant and unsolicited calls. I've worked in Eight schools in four different states of this country & I hate to be friends with my employers cos I have learnt a lot based on my previous experiences.

Such relationship doesn't end well cos I'm always at the receiving end. Truth is, I love the sch so much. The pay is not even up to 40k but I bless God. Aside doing my job, I also advise him on way forward as regards the sch. I even won the Best teacher's award last session.

I feel really uncomfortable with the way he calls me everyday even on weekends and odd hours. I no longer have my Privacy. He calls for very trivial reasons and it's about what I should do, how parents are complaining about some particular issues.

You hardly get applause for been dedicated to work. He is so quick to criticize, but never gives credit when he should. No matter how perfect you are at your job, once there's one little stain on it, it has dented every other good deeds. It's really so demoralizing and we the staff are not happy. There's no staff there that isn't hardworking, so why not overlook a few mistakes? I understand it's Business but his staff are also humans.

At times, I will have to either put off my two phones or put the phones on DND so as to avoid his calls. He has all my three lines. I had to stylishly ask some other close colleagues of mine if they also received such numerous calls form our Boss, but they said No.

Probably he's trying to manage and be at peace with the parents so they don't take their children out of the school since it's just about 3 years.

I think growing students population isn't very easy and one have to do it with care.

Again, he should be concerned about building high standards which includes disciplining of both erring students and teachers as this will make the school stand the test of time.

If you're not comfortable and can't keep up with his demands, you can as well start planning your way out which I don't think would be difficult for you getting job elsewhere with your experience.

Besides, they say "CUSTOMERS ARE ALWAYS RIGHT".

1 Like

Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by sparko1(m): 3:18pm On Oct 02, 2023
I wish I can say it's peculiar to you, but not true, my boss can call me at 12am to tell me something, if he sends a message around 8pm and I don't respond before 12am, he might call.
P
Sometimes, it's the way you relate, in my case, I have studied my relationship and discovered, sometimes around 2020, I lost my dad, subconsciously, I have replaced my dad with my boss.

The funny things is, everyone in his family treat me like his son.

Let me paint a picture, my boss wife will call me to ask if I am with her husband or if I heard from him, that is very strange but yeah, like I am related with him.

My advice, don't try to cut it off, everyone has someone they can always count on, family is not just by blood.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Wisereborn: 3:18pm On Oct 02, 2023
preekahantas:
Never show your Nigerian employer all your skills.
Show only those in your JD otherwise they will load you with 3 staff responsibilities for same pay.
Wise talk

1 Like

Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by leyo4me: 3:22pm On Oct 02, 2023
My advice for you is to leave the job. After all salary is nothing. Just resign and move forward but listen to their pleading they want to enslave you and make you useless. Be courageous to leave the job and better one will come.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Chibzynj: 3:26pm On Oct 02, 2023
Opanka44:

Hello dear,
My sincere advice to you is don't quit except u have gotten another place that is better, or urside hustle has started paying well that u can sustain urself financially.
Most Nigerian employers are very exploitative, thus u should learn to call them to order once they are overstepping their boundaries.
If ur employment letter states 7am to 4pm every weekday for instance, follow that religiously. Not doing that earned 50k max. worth of gift for 12months with restlessness that denies u the ability to think for urself or engage in profitable personal venture / peace of mind, as best employee of the year.
There is saying in igbo language that " onye nmiri furu ukwu ya ka o n' eri ". Because some of us has been in such situation before.
Therefore learn to avoid things like this in any organization u found urself as they are part of professional experience u share on ur CV whenever u send them in for employment.
Goodluck as u work towards its correction.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Jughead29: 3:27pm On Oct 02, 2023
I understand your plight, he just sees you as an indispensable worker. But my only problem with people like you boss is speaking from experience , even despite your value to the business he won't be considering a better pay rise for you. And trying by all means to engage you with his business making you feel like its a family business but profit is for him alone grin

Since that's what he wants, i advice you demand for a better pay. Because your commitment is only while you are there working. No entitlement, all your sacrifice for the business to boom will eventually be willed to his children

1 Like

Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by yommen: 3:28pm On Oct 02, 2023
preekahantas:
Never show your Nigerian employer all your skills.
Show only those in your JD otherwise they will load you with 3 staff responsibilities for same pay.

In fact, including fellow colleagues.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by ChengHun(m): 3:29pm On Oct 02, 2023
You are very useful to the school, your boss is monitoring you, doesn't want you to engage in something else.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Solidex(m): 3:34pm On Oct 02, 2023
Although I am not a teacher, but I can relate with what you are going through with your boss. He is the boss and of course you are just the puppet who is naturally at his whims and caprices. He has practically visualised you as a utility in the system which might have been promted by your perceived levelled-headedness or productiveness. This is probably the reason why he feels at ease to call you without due respect to your privacy.
You would only get out of this loop by making him realise that you also knw your worth by demanding for a higher pay. Tell him you've got offers from some other institutions that are willing to pay you more money and let him be left with the option or either loosing you or paying a substantive salary.
However, he doesn't comply then you should start looking out for a better job while you don't give him any opportunity to further disrespect you.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Opanka44(m): 3:36pm On Oct 02, 2023
frankson1:

Probably he's trying to manage and be at peace with the parents so they don't take their children out of the school since it's just about 3 years.

I think growing students population isn't very easy and one have to do it with care.

Again, he should be concerned about building high standards which includes disciplining of both erring students and teachers as this will make the school stand the test of time.

If you're not comfortable and can't keep up with his demands, you can as well start planning your way out which I don't think would be difficult for you getting job elsewhere with your experience.

Besides, they say "CUSTOMERS ARE ALWAYS RIGHT".

Teachers are the ones promoting the image of the school and raising it's standard. Trust me, if u don't have good teachers, you can't grow a school. If your best Teachers are resentful towards you and your organization due to Mistreatment, it will rubb off the learners thereby leading to a fall in standard.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Opanka44(m): 3:40pm On Oct 02, 2023
Solidex:
Although I am not a teacher, but I can relate with what you are going through with your boss. He is the boss and of course you are just the puppet who is naturally at his whims and caprices. He has practically visualised you as a utility in the system which might have been promted by your perceived levelled-headedness or productiveness. This is probably the reason why he feels at ease to call you without due respect to your privacy.
You would only get out of this loop by making him realise that you also knw your worth by demanding for a higher pay. Tell him you've got offers from some other institutions that are willing to pay you more money and let him be left with the option or either loosing you or paying a substantive salary.
However, he doesn't comply then you should start looking out for a better job while you don't give him any opportunity to further disrespect you.

He had only just raised my salary to 40k last month and warned me not to tell any of my colleagues. I started with 25k almost two years ago
Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Opanka44(m): 3:41pm On Oct 02, 2023
ChengHun:
You are very useful to the school, your boss is monitoring you, doesn't want you to engage in something else.

I swear. You got it right. On Saturdays and Sundays I teach his two daughters private lessons
Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Olajide200(m): 3:42pm On Oct 02, 2023
If you honestly dont like it. Look for another job and get the hell out of the school. You dont have to tell him you are resigning. Do you want him to plead or what?
Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Opanka44(m): 3:44pm On Oct 02, 2023
Ngenge:
It is not a crime for them to negotiate for you since the kids to be taught during private lessons are in your school already but if the pay is smaller than you want, you have the whole power to reject it for you to maintain your sanity. Look at what to do : If you are receiving like 10,000 for a particular child(ren); and they are like 3 in number. That is 10,000 naira per lesson, which is 30,000 in a month and another parent agrees to pay 15,000 for his child (ren); then you have the right to drop one of those who pays 10,000. Accept the highest bidder, no story

Ok Sir
Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Opanka44(m): 3:46pm On Oct 02, 2023
SyrusdeHansome:

Don't mind the dude. I've always known a man is behind that monika. My advice for u is to stay calm. When we work for pple we shouln't always work for the sake of comfort nd money but rather we should use the opportunity to learn frm them. Learn how he runs the school so that when u have urs the experience can help u.

Thanks so much Sir 🙏🙏🙏🙏
Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by IamAsiri: 3:49pm On Oct 02, 2023
Opanka44:

Ok sir. Thanks. But I no longer have my free time or even Privacy. He even engaged me with Weekend private lessons for his two daughters in senior classes. I'm typing from there right now. Lesson is Saturdays and Sundays 2-5pm

For free?🤣🤣🤣
Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by toprealman: 3:57pm On Oct 02, 2023
Opanka44:

You should bring it up in your staff meeting. There is something called terms and condition, rules of engagement, SOP etc. Let them know you want to deal with this job professionally, nothing else.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Raf4: 3:59pm On Oct 02, 2023
Opanka44:

You're so wrong on this. Who are the ones responsible for the growth of the sch in the first place? If teachers were not doing their jobs, I'm sure there wouldn't be students to enrol. Teachers are the live wire and they need to be treated with caution and respect

So they should rebuke the parents for you because you're right?
When you establish your own school, you may decide to raise your staff above the parents (ur source of revenue).
The school of thoughts and generally believed philosophy that say "Customers are always right" or "Customer is king" aren't foolish.
Re: My Boss Calls Me All The Time. by Kingsean(m): 3:59pm On Oct 02, 2023
deewhydoski:

Try to dey take things easy.
What the lady in question said doesn't warrant all those insult you rain on her

are you kidding? or are you just trying to win the lady over?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Is There A Reason As To Why A Bank Should Ask This Question? / Man Dies In Enugu As Foundation At A Construction Site Collapses On Him (Graphic / Lady Who Rehabilitated A Destitute Losses Her Job, See Her Reaction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.