Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,616 members, 7,813,026 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:52 AM

Can You Give Your Tithe To Your Parents Or Christians In Need sometimes? - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can You Give Your Tithe To Your Parents Or Christians In Need sometimes? (14687 Views)

Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says / Do This With Your Tithe Instead Of Giving It To Private Jet Owners (see Photos) / I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Give Your Tithe To Your Parents Or Christians In Need sometimes? by Dtruthspeaker: 12:58pm On Feb 25
Lomprico2:

You are only obeying your rogue pastors not God.

God will Judge and we shall see amongst us who obeyed Him and who did not, for.it was He Who gave The.Command

But see am, you don.change post.
Re: Can You Give Your Tithe To Your Parents Or Christians In Need sometimes? by Majesty7: 1:05pm On Feb 25
Dtruthspeaker:

You are the one who is wrong.

Christ Said "give to ceaser what belomgs to ceaset;to God, what belongs to God; to your parents what belongs to your parents."

So, why didn't the followers of Christ gave tithe?
Re: Can You Give Your Tithe To Your Parents Or Christians In Need sometimes? by Diligence: 1:06pm On Feb 25
Now, what's most important to God is your INTENTION!

I believe offerings, tithes, first fruits should be: AS THE LORD LEADS!

Above all, don't forget that GOD loves a CHEERFUL Giver!

1 Like

Re: Can You Give Your Tithe To Your Parents Or Christians In Need sometimes? by Lomprico2: 1:06pm On Feb 25
Dtruthspeaker:

God will Jidge and we shall see amongst us who obeyed Him and who did not, for.it was He Who gave The.Command

But see am, you don.change post.

Why are you not offering burnt sacrifices? Is it not also God's commandment?

1 Like

Re: Can You Give Your Tithe To Your Parents Or Christians In Need sometimes? by chatinent: 1:07pm On Feb 25
Without tithes and offerings, most pastors for go find another work.
Re: Can You Give Your Tithe To Your Parents Or Christians In Need sometimes? by Orathird: 1:07pm On Feb 25
Iamzik:

Thank you for confirming my position.

Your pastor is rich because he has other sources of income apart from the church.

That disqualifies him from collecting any tithes. Tithes were to be given to Levites who are solely dedicated to God's work and have not inheritance, houses, businesses and no other source of income.

There are no Levites today. Tithe was never money but food. Jesus never paid tithes or collected it. The apostles did not pay tithe or collect from the early church.

So I wonder why you people have become so dogmatic about this your tithe gospel.

God have mercy on the church!

Stated all that to let you know that the tithe does not belong to the pastor. He has his personal business.

Secondly, there are things that need to be done in the church and the tithe money is used for such need.
Re: Can You Give Your Tithe To Your Parents Or Christians In Need sometimes? by Orathird: 1:09pm On Feb 25
Iamzik:

Don't be deceived. All the business and investment came from the church and by virtue of being a pastor

I don’t understand
Re: Can You Give Your Tithe To Your Parents Or Christians In Need sometimes? by Dtruthspeaker: 1:16pm On Feb 25
Majesty7:

So, why didn't the followers of Christ gave tithe?

Do you not see them doing the job of the levites? fishers of men instead of fishermen?

If they were fishermen, then they are bound to tithe.

And secondly, do.you not see that the levites had disapeared? Time for lovers of God to solve the bible's simeoultenous quadratic equation.

Worker + Income= Tithe + Levite.
Worker + Income = Tithe + x (consecrated Levite missing)

Solve and show your workings. grin
Re: Can You Give Your Tithe To Your Parents Or Christians In Need sometimes? by Annahh(f): 1:19pm On Feb 25
You tithe as you are led by God. Let God lead you.
Re: Can You Give Your Tithe To Your Parents Or Christians In Need sometimes? by PastorOlokonla: 1:29pm On Feb 25
I will never give my tithes to sny pastors. It only serves to enrich the pastors and nothing else.
I will give to causes I support and people who are really needy.

Pastors should get a real job like the rest of us and contribute productively to the society.
Re: Can You Give Your Tithe To Your Parents Or Christians In Need sometimes? by Foodqueen(f): 1:47pm On Feb 25
I always prefer to give it to the needy.
Re: Can You Give Your Tithe To Your Parents Or Christians In Need sometimes? by MrPresident1: 1:55pm On Feb 25
Yes you can give your tithes to your parents, people in need, Christians in need, families in need, orphanages, old people in need, anyone in need is your neighbour and you can tithe to them. Their house is the LORD'S house and by so doing, you are putting food in the LORD'S house
Re: Can You Give Your Tithe To Your Parents Or Christians In Need sometimes? by Gentlesniper(m): 1:58pm On Feb 25
@corrections, judging from your write up, since my body is the temple of God, it's safe to say I can give my tithe to myself if I have need for it...haka ne?
Re: Can You Give Your Tithe To Your Parents Or Christians In Need sometimes? by fabian063: 2:06pm On Feb 25
I'd rather see it as the human body is God dwelling place than a building. He told us that when we don't help and comfort those around us, then we are not comforting him Matthew 25:42-45
MaxInDHouse:

NO!
It's not the human body rather Jesus and Paul were referring to the congregation as a body it means the church of God.
A Christian is not that temple but a gathering of Christians that's why Jesus said where two or three are gathered in his name he will be there {Matthew 18:20} the gathering means God's temple where Jesus must not be missing. Luke 2:49
Thanks!

1 Like

Re: Can You Give Your Tithe To Your Parents Or Christians In Need sometimes? by Dtruthspeaker: 2:07pm On Feb 25
Lomprico2:

Why are you not offering burnt sacrifices? Is it not also God's commandment?

If you had truly read the bible, then you would have known why this was a very stupid question.
Re: Can You Give Your Tithe To Your Parents Or Christians In Need sometimes? by stagger: 2:08pm On Feb 25
Oga,
You have 90% to give to whomever you want. If your parents have to be confined to God's 10%, you are a wicked man.

Some of you spend a lot on whores and alcohol. Repent from your evil ways.
Re: Can You Give Your Tithe To Your Parents Or Christians In Need sometimes? by obinnazy(m): 2:08pm On Feb 25
Righthussle:
No, you must give it to your pastor. He needs it to pays his bills and maintain his private jets and luxury cars.

Can I give it to babalawo instead??

"Don't Twist God's word"
Re: Can You Give Your Tithe To Your Parents Or Christians In Need sometimes? by obinnazy(m): 2:09pm On Feb 25
MaxInDHouse:
According to God you're not to determine what happens to your tithes God said bring it to His house and not to the needy.
So if you don't bring it to His house you're still owing Him the tithe!undecided

Tithing is key, bae, life saving
Re: Can You Give Your Tithe To Your Parents Or Christians In Need sometimes? by Gabriel411: 2:17pm On Feb 25
Corrections:
In Christianity, the importance of tithing can not be ignored. God instructed Christians to bring 10th of their total income to his storehouse or temple.

However, in today's modern world, people no longer give animals or material things as Tithe (not that it is forbidden) but instead all have been monetized.

One may wonder and ask the following questions:

* Why do Christians have to bring their TITHES to God's storehouse or temple?

* What is God's understanding of a store house or temple?

* Can one give his/her TITHE to parents or people if they are in need?

WHY DO CHRISTIANS HAVE to bring their TITHE to God's storehouse/ temple?

Malachi 3:10

New Living Translation
Bring all the tithes into the storehouse so there will be enough food in my Temple. If you do,” says the LORD of Heaven’s Armies, “I will open the windows of heaven for you. I will pour out a blessing so great you won’t have enough room to take it in! Try it! Put me to the test.

Just as it is written in the scripture, we give TITHE so that there will be enough in the temple or store house of God.

WHAT IS GOD'S UNDERSTANDING OF STOREHOUSE/ TEMPLE?

The scripture gives us a clear idea of God's understanding on what a storehouse/ temple is. In the scripture we can classify God's understanding of a storehouse/ temple as the following:

* Store house/ temple view by God as a Physical man made structures.

* Store house/ temple view by God as a human body (that is spirit with a soul)

STOREHOUSE/TEMPLE VIEW BY GOD AS A "PHYSICAL MAN MADE STRUCTURE"

Here God views a temple or storehouse as a structure built by man. It is always physical in nature.

Ezra 1: 3

New International Version
Any of his people among you may go up to Jerusalem in Judah and build the temple of the LORD, the God of Israel, the God who is in Jerusalem, and may their God be with them.

1Chronicles 28:3
New International Version
But God said to me, ‘You are not to build a house for my Name, because you are a warrior and have shed blood.’

Here we can clearly see that God is referring a house/temple as a man made structure.

STOREHOUSE/TEMPLE VIEW BY GOD AS A HUMAN BODY (THAT IS SPIRIT WITH A SOUL)

Here, God does not view a storehouse or temple as a physical man made structure but rather he views it as a human body that has a soul and a spirit.

1Corinthians 6:19-20 (ESV),

He asks, “Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.”

John 4: 21-23

21 “Woman,” Jesus replied, “believe me, a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. 22 You Samaritans worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know, for salvation is from the Jews. 23 Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit (the spirit is inside the body) and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks.

Here Jesus was trying to tell us that our body will be the temple where God will be worshipped which confirms that God also sees our body as a storehouse/ temple.

Matthew 12:43-45

43 “When an impure spirit comes out of a person, it goes through arid places seeking rest and does not find it. 44 Then it says[b], ‘I will return to the house I left[/b].’ When it arrives, it finds the house unoccupied, swept clean and put in order. 45 Then it goes and takes with it seven other spirits more wicked than itself, and they go in and live there (because they see it just as God sees it as a house too) And the final condition of that person is worse than the first. That is how it will be with this wicked generation.”

Here, Jesus is referring to human's body (that has a spirit and a soul) to be a house where demons could dwell or live. It opens our eye to the fact that God who is a spirit also sees our human physical body as a temple/house.

CAN ONE GIVE HIS/ HER TITHE TO PARENTS OR PEOPLE IF THEY ARE IN NEED?

Now, that we understand how God sees or defines a " storehouse or temple", we can now proceed to answering the question. The following are the 3 reasons why you can give your TITHE to your parents or people if they are in need.

* Jesus says in mark7:11-12

Mark7:11-12
New international Version
11 But you say that if anyone declares that what might have been used to help their father or mother is Corban (that is, devoted to God)— 12 then you no longer let them do anything for their father or mother. 13 Thus you nullify the word of God by your tradition that you have handed down. And you do many things like that.”

Here, Jesus was telling the people how wrong they were when they refused to help their parents with things (including tithe) they had dedicated to give God when they were seriously in need. If your parents are in serious need of money and you could help them with your tithe (because that is what is left to help) but told them "you rather give the money to God as tithe than them", Jesus says you are wrong.

* Your parents/ people are temple or storehouse (spirits that live in body with soul) of God by scriptures.

Corinthians 6:19-20 (ESV),

He asks, “Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.”

IMPORTANT NOTE!!!!!

This article is written to let us see from scriptures (bible) view that while it good to take our tithe to physical house of God we should not also condem the fact that humans body is also seen by God as a temple or storehouse in which we can invest our tithe in if they are in need of it after we have given every other things.

Meanwhile,, Jesus is waiting for you because jesus is the messiah the world is waiting so connect with him today! !!!

HOW TO CONNECT WITH JESUS

Your body is the house of God is it clean or dirty? You can make it clean by connecting to Jesus today.

John14:6
Jesus told him ' I am the way-
Yes, and the truth and the life. No one can GET to the father (GOD) except by means of me (JESUS ).

Say lord Jesus am sorry for the sins have committed and today I accept you as the son of God and as my lord and personal savior. Help me to follow you now and for ever more. Amen!!!
Does the churches publish an annual report of it’s financials so tithers and people that donated can know how money was spent. Until churches start doing that, I rather flush my money down the sink.
Re: Can You Give Your Tithe To Your Parents Or Christians In Need sometimes? by Geovanni412(m): 2:28pm On Feb 25
MaxInDHouse:
According to God you're not to determine what happens to your tithes God said bring it to His house and not to the needy.
So if you don't bring it to His house you're still owing Him the tithe!undecided

Methodist church didn't start paying tithe until the 1980's

And they had many wealthy members

Tithe has no correlation with making money

Don't listen to any pastor who says otherwise

Bro Max, how are you doing. Much respect to your JW mission.
Re: Can You Give Your Tithe To Your Parents Or Christians In Need sometimes? by MaxInDHouse(m): 2:29pm On Feb 25
fabian063:
I'd rather see it as the human body is God dwelling place than a building. He told us that when we don't help and comfort those around us, then we are not comforting him Matthew 25:42-45

Misinformed churchgoer issue!

The church doesn't mean a building rather it's the congregation of Christians as in gathering of Christians. That's what the spiritual temple means. smiley
Re: Can You Give Your Tithe To Your Parents Or Christians In Need sometimes? by MaxInDHouse(m): 2:30pm On Feb 25
Geovanni412:

Methodist church didn't start paying tithe until the 1980's

And they had many wealthy members

Tithe has no correlation with making money

Don't listen to any pastor who says otherwise

Bro Max, how are you doing. Much respect to your JW mission.

Tithing has nothing to do with CHRISTIANITY!
Re: Can You Give Your Tithe To Your Parents Or Christians In Need sometimes? by comrChris(m): 2:33pm On Feb 25
Orathird:

Thank you for asking about my pastor.

He is very rich. My church is a small one. I am very close to the church and I have seen my pastor share his personal resources to church members.

I have seen him credit many members account with his personal money. I have seen him distribute food items from his personal account.

I have a travel agency business and my pastor is my major customer. He buys flight tickets from me and refer people to me too. If I book for him, he does not say God bless you, He pays.

He is making Enquiry about one member school fee.

I can go on and on to tell you all he is doing for the church from his personal money.

I have seen him spend his own money. He has his own personal business and he is doing marvelously well.
Don't mind them
People that don't even go to church are the ones coming to tell how pastors are duping their members.
Most of the equipments we use in church were gifted to us by the pastor, the recent one was his 55inches and a big generator, he gave them to church to support the ones we have and had to stay months before he got a new one for his family.

99% of people who come here to say one thing or the other about the church know nothing about the church are talking about

1 Like

Re: Can You Give Your Tithe To Your Parents Or Christians In Need sometimes? by Zannix(m): 2:48pm On Feb 25
Tithe is just 10%...you still have 90% left. You can help the needy and bless your parents from your 90%!
Re: Can You Give Your Tithe To Your Parents Or Christians In Need sometimes? by MaxInDHouse(m): 2:56pm On Feb 25
Zannix:
Tithe is just 10%...you still have 90% left. You can help the needy and bless your parents from your 90%!

Tithing ended with the Mosaic laws it has no place in Christianity! smiley

1 Like

Re: Can You Give Your Tithe To Your Parents Or Christians In Need sometimes? by Ekugbeh(m): 3:26pm On Feb 25
Iamzik:

The very essence of tithe is charity and meeting the need of the poor. Go and study your Bible and wean yourself from what pastors have hammered into your brain
mention where in the Bible where tithes is for charity
Re: Can You Give Your Tithe To Your Parents Or Christians In Need sometimes? by Ekugbeh(m): 3:27pm On Feb 25
Iamzik:

The irony if this take

Will the Lord come down and collect the money? Is the tithe not meant to provide food for the people of God and to meet their needs?🤣🤣
tithes is an oblation not donation
Re: Can You Give Your Tithe To Your Parents Or Christians In Need sometimes? by Medici777: 3:40pm On Feb 25
If Nigerian pastors didn’t brainwashed so many Nigerians this post would have been so clear and agreed with. Perhaps if Christians really focused on the gospel of Christ everyone would be good.
Re: Can You Give Your Tithe To Your Parents Or Christians In Need sometimes? by 4ward4: 4:09pm On Feb 25
MaxInDHouse:

Sorry this is about those who wants to do the will of God not just everyone! 2Thessalonians 3:2 undecided

Lol, what heck are you quoting..go read exactly what you quoted and stop been a baby christain who thinks using his feelings, thereby allowing a particular man who claims he is off God feed fat off him.
Like I said, Give alms, contribute in building a church and spreading the goodness is of more importance and exactly the will of God.The pentecostal Scam will soon fall off and the truth will reign.
Re: Can You Give Your Tithe To Your Parents Or Christians In Need sometimes? by just4fun(m): 5:23pm On Feb 25
Scriptures is very clear about tithing.

Bring it into the house of God that there may be meat. Ours is to obey and not to start thinking of how our Pastor will use or share it.

If you don't trust your Pastor, then you have no business of being in that church.

Tithe is tithe, not gift to the poor nor giving to your parents or the needy. TITHE IS TITHE!!

Give to God what belongs to him and give to your parents what belongs to them...
Re: Can You Give Your Tithe To Your Parents Or Christians In Need sometimes? by DeOTR: 5:24pm On Feb 25
Dtruthspeaker:

Do you not have sense to know what belongs to pastor from.your Ceaser?
If you had any sense you'll know tithe doesn't belong to the pastors.
Re: Can You Give Your Tithe To Your Parents Or Christians In Need sometimes? by Gabriel411: 5:51pm On Feb 25
just4fun:
Scriptures is very clear about tithing.

Bring it into the house of God that there may be meat. Ours is to obey and not to start thinking of how our Pastor will use or share it.

If you don't trust your Pastor, then you have no business of being in that church.

Tithe is tithe, not gift to the poor nor giving to your parents or the needy. TITHE IS TITHE!!

Give to God what belongs to him and give to your parents what belongs to them...

You are wrong. I should know how my tithes is used. I need a annual financial report. The church board is accountable for my tithes and offerings.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Is It Good To Have Close Friendship With An Unbeliever As A Christian? / Christianity Fast Facts: 8 Things Christians Believe In / Has God Ever Done Any Irrefutable Miracle For You Before? Come In And Share

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.